PDA

View Full Version : Battle Blog: Shorten bench right now to prepare playoffs

timvp
04-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Rummpd: Despite the injuries, it is time to shorten the San Antonio Spurs bench and get ready for the playoffs. In the playoffs, winning teams rarely go more than eight or nine deep and the Spurs need to start getting consistent minutes out of players to get some synchrony in rotations and roles. As present, Spurs have only 13 games left and those that are in the top ten in the rotation need to get the minutes, with the only exception being blowouts and back-to-backs. The Spurs have added Mike Wilks, Sean Marks and Dion Glover, and I believe there is nothing that the three give to the team compared to other players in the rotation. Yet I have a major fear that Pop will continue to get "cute" with rotations.

This should be the core starters and reserves, with no more than five minutes per game allotted to the rest:

5. Nesterovic, Mohammed
4. Horry, Mohammed
3. Bowen
2. Ginobili, Barry
1. Parker, Udrih

On average, the starters should get at least 35 minutes a game, the only exception being on hot shooting nights by Barry, then let him take some of Ginobili’s minutes to give him some rest.

Again, I for one, don't want to see Wilks taking Udrih’s minutes or Marks in early. Glover is a nice placeholder until Brown comes back but time will tell if he should take more than 10-12 minutes a game from Bowen and deserves an eventual small role in the playoffs.

It is imperative that Popovich gives our top three reserves right now - Udrih, Barry and Mohammed adequate time to get in the groove and make the needed contributions.

I believe they will.

Guru of Nothing: Team, heal thyself!

The playoffs are about teams and players elevating their games to a higher level, not riding a groove. Duncan, Ginobili and Parker are more than capable of establishing a championship rhythm on short notice. Conversely, carrying nagging injuries into the playoffs will only drag down a player's performance, and thus the team's. Spurs fans are all too familiar with the effects injuries can have on the team in the playoffs. And let's face one glaring fact - Ginobili will not throttle his game, not one bit.

I hope that Pop significantly reduces Ginobili and Parker's minutes, if not bench them outright, until the last five games of the season. In the meantime, throw the rest of the team into the proverbial fire. Let Barry play 35 minutes a game and find out what he can really do within Pop's schemes. Give Udrih 30 minutes a game too. He is still a rookie and every extra minute he plays represents an opportunity to grow.

Moving on to the frontcourt, I think most will agree that Nesterovic is a good defender, but (putting it politely) his offensive game frustrates the heck out of fans like me. It's my amateur observation that Nesterovic is a good defender because he “has to” be. Call me crazy, but I think Nesterovic will respond favorably if he "has to" score 15 points a game - and what's not to like about an improved starting center?

Rhythm, yes; rhythm and blues, no thanks!

Rummpd: My only rebuttal is that Pop effectively shortened the bench against the Houston Rockets, substituting Marks for Mohammed. He did put Wilks in for limited minutes as well but overall Nesterovic, Marks, Horry, Parker, Barry and Ginobili played by far the most minutes.

Great result! Pop needs to settle on nine players max and keep at least the two seed if at all possible.

Guru of Nothing: Yes, the results were great. Nesterovic’s ten points on 5-10 shooting (most of that coming in the first half) with seven boards, two steals and three blocks while playing 36 minutes. That is what I want to see, and I expect his point production to rise over the next two weeks.

However, Ginoibli played 37 minutes and Parker played 39 minutes while Barry played only 29 and Udrih a mere 6. If Parker and Ginobili are healthy, then this is wonderful. Let's hope we don't have pay the piper come May.

A number one or two seed is attractive, but it is not a substitute for a healthy team entering the playoffs.

--------------------
In a very close decision, the judges gave the win to Guru of Nothing. Nice job by both bloggers and thanks to the judges for the votes.

MannyIsGod
04-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Nice job GoN.

RobinsontoDuncan
04-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Rummpd, do you really want Mohammad in the rotation, I would rather have Horry and Marks play, the two seem to be at a much higher level right now. To be quite honest, I wish we still had Malik because Mohammad has failed to impress.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Nice job by both. I'd have to side with the opinion of GoN on this one.

I'm not sure when these were written, but it seems to me that the effects of Parker and Gino's big minutes against Houston were seen against Denver. Rest Ginobili, TP and Duncan until the end of the season.

The 2 spot is going to essentially be guaranteed, and we can't worry too much about how these other seeds fall out of the playoff mix.

td4mvp21
04-03-2005, 05:22 PM
^We can't rest Duncan once he gets back too much, because he's gonna be rusty enough. He needs to find his rhythm asap.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-03-2005, 05:27 PM
True. He just can't push too hard too soon. If he reinjures himself we can kiss our playoff chances goodbye.

A rusty Tim Duncan who is close to 100% healthy is better than a guy sitting on the sidelines in a cool linen shirt.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2005, 05:30 PM
To answer some questions, this blog was written about a week ago -- the judges just took a long tim in their voting. And GoN won the blog by only one vote.

Note to judges: PLEASE look in the judges forum daily and vote promptly. There's two blogs in there now.

RobinsontoDuncan
04-03-2005, 05:35 PM
I think Rummpd had an excellenty point about Beno, he really ought to be getting the bulk of the PG minutes from now until the return of Duncan, I think the kid should start actually, let him be spelled by parker.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2005, 05:49 PM
not sure how long it usually takes...kori?

The reason yours is not up is because it's a tie in the voting right now. I'm waiting for one more judge's vote to break the tie.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Manu will be an All-Star -- that one was a tie, which was just broken. So it will be posted shortly. The other one, the voting just got started today. It will probably be finished tomorrow.

BTW, don't announce in here what blogs you are in -- the judges don't know who the bloggers are when they are voting. We are supposed to be keeping it that way.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2005, 06:29 PM
You are not supposed to know who the judges are. There's a group of them and timvp and I aren't in the group.

...Manny i will bet u $500 dollars Manu will be an All-Star next year...or anyone else who agrees with him

It's not a matter of whether or not they agreed with what you were saying. It is a matter of who they thought made the best argument in the blog.

Rummpd
04-03-2005, 09:16 PM
I stand by my original blog. How can we know if Nazr can really play until he is out there given Pop's sudden love for the brick throwing Marks notwithstanding (although he does hustle I grant that, but no way the Nazr I saw in this first 4-5 games here in not much better than Marks.)?

Meanwhile, we have a stud back up point guard who rarely touches the floor these days.

Sometime, in next two weeks Pop has to find a rotation and stick with it. 8-9 and ride it out period.

MeAndBobThrowChairs
04-03-2005, 10:08 PM
Oh I cant believe you left out DEVIN BROWN

Rummpd
04-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Brown was supposed to back up Bowen (although now hurt leaves a big void) that I thought would have gone to LJ III if anyone but looks like it is Glover by default altough the bigs seem to be getting the minutes at F when Bowen out.

Rick Von Braun
04-03-2005, 11:18 PM
if they agreed with what i said, its usually implied that they would think i had a good argument...dont the two go hand in hand?
Not necessarily... a particular argument may be better researched, presented and justified, even though you don't personally agree with it. A classic example would be when a debate captain asks your personal position on a particular topic (e.g. abortion), and then based on your answer he assigns you with the opposite position to defend (the "affirmative" or the "negative" in debating terms). This is a very common training technique. In addition, it is a common technique for conflict resolution and negotiation, but that is a different story.

wildbill2u
04-04-2005, 01:30 PM
You are not supposed to know who the judges are. There's a group of them and timvp and I aren't in the group.

It's not a matter of whether or not they agreed with what you were saying. It is a matter of who they thought made the best argument in the blog.

I'm wondering if the judges are influenced by the reaction to the blogs by other posters. In one sense they should be--because a thoughtful blog should inspire equally thoughtful or enthusiatic responses pro and con (as opposed to name calling and the usual mindless drivel by some posters).

On the other hand, there is the argument that the blog should stand alone on its merits, regardless of the response.

I tend to go with the first option. Great blogs engender good responses.