PDA

View Full Version : Steve Smith joins Bocats

KoriEllis
09-16-2004, 03:06 PM
Veteran guard Smith joining Bobcats

RICK BONNELL

Staff Writer

Assuming he passes a team physical today, veteran guard Steve Smith is joining the Charlotte Bobcats, the Observer has learned.

Smith was in Charlotte Thursday to sign with the team, and coach/general manager Bernie Bickerstaff said he hopes Smith will provide leadership to a relatively young expansion team this season.

"We want him to come in and give direction to other players and to compete," Bickerstaff said. "I wanted a high-character guy who was a professional on and off the court. He's a guy who commands respect from his track record and conceivably will get respect from the officials. He can shoot the basketball and play three positions."

At 6-foot-8, Smith has played shooting guard, small forward and point guard in the NBA. He's played 13 NBA seasons, most recently with the New Orleans Hornets. He was originally drafted by the Miami Heat and later played for Atlanta, Portland and San Antonio.

A former star at Michigan State, Smith has averaged 14.7 points and 3.4 rebounds in the NBA. However, he's been far more limited the past two seasons, not averaging double figures in either one. He played in 71 games for the Hornets last season, averaging 13 minutes.

ChumpDumper
09-16-2004, 08:33 PM
After seeing his last game, I can't make any more jokes about him.

Maybe he can teach Jason Hart how to shoot.

timvp
09-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Smart pickup for the Bobcats. Steve Smith is a pro and will be more than willing to help the young players.

Useruser666
09-17-2004, 09:39 AM
He can shoot the basketball and play three positions."

I respect him and all, but three positions? SF, SG, and ?

Please don't say point or PF!

Useruser666 :eyebrow

Solid D
09-17-2004, 10:26 AM
At 6-foot-8, Smith has played shooting guard, small forward and point guard in the NBA.

It is probably more true to say he has played SG, SF and PG than to say he can play those three positions. Steve is a former top-10 PG and he can certainly enter an offense and play those three positions offensively. Defending all three positions is another story.

SpursFanInAustin
09-17-2004, 01:26 PM
I respect him and all, but three positions? SF, SG, and ?

Please don't say point or PF!

He played the point at Michigan State in college, and played some point with the Miami Heat his rookie season. I believe former MSU coach Jud Heathcoat made comparisons on Steve Smith with Magic Johnson.

Useruser666
09-18-2004, 12:35 PM
SpursFanInAustin,

Maybe so, but him playing pg now? He is way to stiff(don't say it) to play point now. He can't even handle the ball against SF let alone PG. I think he can still hit the 3, but is limited to spot mintues, maybe 15 max, as a 3 point shooter. His drives to the basket now look like they're in s-l-o-w m-o-t-i-o-n.

Useruser666 :eyebrow

2pac
09-19-2004, 07:55 PM
He plays SF, SG and center.

WriterNum934
09-19-2004, 08:35 PM
Center? WTF?

It's PG, SG, and SF.