PDA

View Full Version : Is there any affordable big?

TheAfricanFan
04-03-2005, 05:39 PM
... Power Foward or Center that can rebound, block some shots, dunk and hit high percentage shots and like 10-15 footers to play for this team? I'm asking this because I really don't see many players that can do much better than our big men in this league at a reasonable price or contract.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Are you talking about for next season?

Who are you willing to trade?

TheAfricanFan
04-03-2005, 05:46 PM
I don't want a trade coz I dont see any possibilities of that happening but maybe if we could sign any player next year...

TheAfricanFan
04-03-2005, 05:47 PM
I like Anderson Varejao, he's agile can block shots a shoot

Kori Ellis
04-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Well, I think the Spurs are planning on bringing in Scola this summer. Is he what you are looking for?

pigknuckles
04-03-2005, 05:52 PM
There was mention of going after Scola (manu's countryman) next year.
Most likely buying out his euro contract, I don't know how good he is, but they will also need to spend money on signing devin as well.

TheAfricanFan
04-03-2005, 05:54 PM
I don't think Scola is what we need. He's small, slow, doesn't play a lot of D and is undersized for the position he will play here. I really don't like this option

pigknuckles
04-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Let's see how Nazr's addition plays out, he still doesn't look comfortable out there. I think it's a matter of time. (Look at how long it's taken barry)

Dre_7
04-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Is Eddy Curry a free agent this offseason?

I would like him in SA. I Doubt it would work $$ wise, but on the court, I think he would be deadly next to Tim.

TheAfricanFan
04-03-2005, 06:55 PM
My Vote still goes for Varejao. I guess he has one more year in his contract and as a PF/C ,it would be a pleasure for him to play for the Spurs next to Duncan I guess. So if R.C. and Pop can convince him to do it...

ducks
04-03-2005, 07:26 PM
frye from the az wildcats

exstatic
04-03-2005, 09:55 PM
Eddy Curry is a flat scrub. Fucker played a full game against SA and didn't pull down ONE rebound. He's lazy, fundamentally unsound, and full of himself. I'm surprised Chicago's GM didn't laugh in his agent's face when he said Eddy was worth the MAX. I don't think he's worth the MCE at this point.

Dre_7
04-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Well, that may be, but from the games Ive seen, he looks very good. But then again, Ive only seen him in about 10-15 games in the past few years. But, I like what I see.

Nbadan
04-04-2005, 04:17 AM
I just don't see why the Spurs need another big when they already have Raso, Nazr and Tim on the roster. The Spurs had the chance to go after young bigs like Varejao, David Harrison, and Pachulia already and passed.

Solid D
04-04-2005, 09:52 AM
I like the idea of Scola with the Spurs. He's not a superstar, but he's a plus player, an energizing player like Rose, Najera, & Cardinal. He can really score and he will outwork and outhustle guys to keep things alive. He's smart and plays team defense. He fouls but hey, that's what Rose, Najera and Cardinal do too.

Nazr Mohammed has shown so far that he can rebound and block or alter shots, but little else. He does not "get it" yet on the defensive rotations. He's late or wrong way too many times. I don't know what his +/- is but it's probably no so good when he's in there. The height and length is terrific but he needs another higher energy big in there with him to create a better synergy.

nzkickass
04-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Is there any affordable big?

Sean Marks....... he's not going to ask for much, it's not about the money with him, it's about the love of the game.

TheAfricanFan
04-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Do You think that Pop will let Marks play instead of Massemburg?

TheAfricanFan
04-04-2005, 01:59 PM
^^^^ in the playoffs?

coz
04-04-2005, 02:11 PM
isn't Stromile an unrestricted free agent this summer? I've always liked his athleticism.

Solid D
04-04-2005, 02:20 PM
isn't Stromile an unrestricted free agent this summer? I've always liked his athleticism.

The Malik Rose trade effectively isn't over with, yet. Since it was a money move...it wasn't just about getting Nazr.

Dre_7
04-04-2005, 02:58 PM

I like him too. But, I thought he was an unrestricted free agent this past off season?

Kori Ellis
04-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Stromile Swift is out indefinitely with an issue with his heart this season. I wonder how that will effect his worth in free agency.

Dre_7
04-04-2005, 03:30 PM
Stromile Swift is out indefinitely with an issue with his heart this season. I wonder how that will effect his worth in free agency.

Wow, I didnt hear that. Whats wrong with his heart?

Hope everthing goes alright for him.

Kori Ellis
04-04-2005, 03:32 PM
It might not be a big deal but ...

The Memphis Grizzlies placed forward Stromile Swift on the injured list indefinitely with an irregular heartbeat prior to Sunday night's game against the Los Angeles Lakers.

Swift, who missed 13 games earlier this season with a left ankle sprain, is averaging 10.2 points and 4.7 rebounds.

"He started to feel something different during (Friday's) Milwaukee game, and then felt something different (Saturday) night at home," Memphis coach Mike Fratello said. "They took him and did a series of tests on him (Sunday) afternoon. It's true, it is irregular. It's not beating the proper way. So they want to start to treat that and take care of that."

boutons
04-04-2005, 03:34 PM
also:

Curry Released from Rush

Eddy Curry was released from Rush University Medical Center on Monday morning. He will undergo several outpatient tests over the next 48 hours to complete his testing battery. At that time, assuming all the additional tests are normal, he will be allowed to return to basketball activities.

coz
04-04-2005, 04:39 PM
"I like him too. But, I thought he was an unrestricted free agent this past off season?"

I think Stro was restricted last year, and is unrestricted this year. I think he was still on the rookie contract of four years. I might be wrong, and you would do better to ask someone "in the know'. Kori - thoughts?

Kori Ellis
04-04-2005, 04:42 PM
He signed a one-year deal this past summer.

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/release-swift_one_year_contract.html

He'll be unrestricted at the end of this season.

TheAfricanFan
04-04-2005, 04:46 PM
He will be a free-agent next year ...
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/memphis.htm

TheAfricanFan
04-04-2005, 05:20 PM
Alonzo Mourning willbe a free-agent next year too :lol