PDA

View Full Version : Could Blair Slim Down Too Much?

BillMc
06-29-2009, 08:53 PM
With a huge mass and a low center of gravity, Blair kept his position against taller opponents ala Charles Barkley (who often lead the NBA in rebounding at about 6'5"). He's lost 35 pounds since college. If he slims down too much, could that make him easier to move out of position especially in the pros with much heavier opponents?

Maybe a chunky "Beast" is better than a ripped fellow?

Of course, the counter argument is less weight will allow him to jump higher.

Still, eat a donut or two (dozen) DeJuan. :hungry:

AussieFanKurt
06-29-2009, 08:55 PM
I doubt he'll try to lose an excessive amount of weight but he may need to lose a tad
what your saying is true

ulosturedge
06-29-2009, 09:00 PM
From what i've read he's trying to get stronger at the same time. So more muscle less body fat i guess lol. I think he will be fine.

Steve-O-Matic
06-29-2009, 09:08 PM
He hasn't lost 35 pounds. In his own words shortly before the draft he said he'd lost 15.

BillMc
06-29-2009, 09:12 PM
He hasn't lost 35 pounds. In his own words shortly before the draft he said he'd lost 15.

You certainly could be right, but this article says 30 to 35 pounds:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_630422.html

AFBlue
06-29-2009, 09:16 PM
He was 277 with 12% body fat at the pre-draft workouts. Even if he "slims down", he'll still be a big man. I wouldn't worry too much.

Dex
06-29-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm sure he'll be fine. He was touted as being a little overweight to start out with, and I'd imagine the less stress he can put on ACL-less knees, the better. He seems to have a good work ethic and knows he's going to be bangin' in the post, so he should know better than to slim down too much.

timvp
06-29-2009, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't want him to get much smaller than 265. He needs his width to get his shot off against bigger players.

picnroll
06-29-2009, 09:38 PM
265 lbs and turn some of that 12% fat into muscle, particularly muscle around the knees.

AnthonyM
06-29-2009, 09:41 PM
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3513/blairh.jpg

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1152/blair2.jpg

I don't know if anyone has posted either of these but they're from his twitter and were taken on draft day...he definitely looks slimmer but has also put on some good muscle...

I agree with TimVP hopefully he doesnt get lower than 265 but this weight hes at right now and with his muscle looks like he could still do some damage in the paint and defensively...hopefully

SouthTexasRancher
06-29-2009, 10:40 PM
With a huge mass and a low center of gravity, Blair kept his position against taller opponents ala Charles Barkley (who often lead the NBA in rebounding at about 6'5"). He's lost 35 pounds since college. If he slims down too much, could that make him easier to move out of position especially in the pros with much heavier opponents?

Maybe a chunky "Beast" is better than a ripped fellow?

Of course, the counter argument is less weight will allow him to jump higher.

Still, eat a donut or two (dozen) DeJuan. :hungry:

The Round Mound of Rebound was always chunky and he would give the tall, slim guys like David, Ewing, etc. fits. Big Baby in Boston would swing his butt around and knock guys into the upper bleachers. Blair is supposedly working hard to be in the best shape possible for the Spurs. I think he is serious about proving himself to the team, coaches and us fans. I, for one, am really looking forward to watching him in the summer league. A lot of GM's & coaches are kicking themselves in the behind right now.

Kori Ellis
06-29-2009, 10:46 PM
I think he's lost ~40 pounds total. He used to weight 315 and he now weighs around 277. He says that he's 10 percent body fat now.

If he hovers around 265-270 and has a 8-10 percent body fat, that's probably good for his body style. Having a beast like him get down to 245 defeats the purpose of having the beast :)

VivaPopovich
06-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Could Blair Slim Down Too Much?

No. Size isn't necessarily associated with strength, neither do you have to be heavy to be strong. Kobe Bryant is an excellent example of this.

It'll be nice to have a strong explosive center for a change. :flag:

Baseline
06-30-2009, 12:11 AM
DeJuan will be perfect at 10% body fat. the average person is what, 18-20%?

He needs some meat to throw around. Elton Brand started getting hurt when he got skinny. He had one decent season after shedding all the baby fat, and then his career was essentially over.

EricB
06-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Damn he looks yoked in that picture.

Got some SERIOUS size arms.

loveforthegame
06-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks for those pictures.

He's really slimmed down hasn't he? Damn.

AnthonyM
06-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Damn he looks yoked in that picture.

Got some SERIOUS size arms.

Haha, yeah. The last Spur with arms that big was David...

Obstructed_View
06-30-2009, 12:48 AM
I think the quote has either been misread or misreported. He said in an interview that he lost 40 pounds since high school. His knee problems back then were due to being overweight, and he's worked to keep in shape since then so as not to put extra stress on them.

AnthonyM
06-30-2009, 01:12 AM
What was Blair's weight in college listed at?

A few sites say he's 265....but he looked like he weighed more in college

http://pittsburgh.scout.com/a.z?s=141&p=8&c=1&nid=4011027

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=36578

Also, from his Twitter about a month ago he said he was down to 276...so its weird,

Oh yeah I am down to 276!!!!!! got there by eating right, and working hard. When you want something bad enough you do anything to get it!!
10:55 PM May 29th (http://twitter.com/DeJuan45/status/1968187702) from web

Also, I thought this next twitter was cool just because it shows his character and seems very characteristic of a Spurs player

I had my first rest day and I felt guilty, so I went to work out anyway... :)
7:44 AM Jun 2nd (http://twitter.com/DeJuan45/status/2003037866) from web

raspsa
06-30-2009, 01:45 AM
If he does slim down too much, its an easy problem to remedy.

mathbzh
06-30-2009, 02:38 AM
About body fat I am still puzzled with the pre-draft measurements.
There are a lot of athlete in the 2.6-4% range (George Hill was at 3%).
I believed this was a range for bodybuilders and not for healthy athletes (who would be supposed to be in the 6%-13% range).

Does it means the body fat is not measured the same way that with the classical method (with a clamp) or is it that some athlete are really underweight (it would be probably because an NBA prospect is not exactly the average man)?

For DeJuan it would be important, because 12% body fat is just fine for an athlete. He could drop a couple of pounds but there is no need to go under 10%....

My knowledge on this subject is very superficial. If someone knows more about this, I would be curious to read his opinion.

Man In Black
06-30-2009, 02:50 AM
Are we talking like Udonis Haslem?

After leaving Florida in 2002, his weight ballooned in excess of 300 pounds and he became a late-preseason roster cut with the Atlanta Hawks. Haslem then signed with Chalon-Sur-Saone, a professional team in France. While averaging 16.1 points and 9.4 rebounds per game,Haslem also managed to lose 70 pounds over the course of that year, which resulted in him getting a spot in the NBA summer leagues.

Also, Haslem's career averages of 10 points, 8 rebounds, and 50% FG are solid. If Blair got anything close to that, teams will mos def be kicking their own asses.