PDA

View Full Version : Fabri's Twitter: I don't know yet

Man Mountain
06-29-2009, 09:49 PM
On twitter someone asked Fabri if he's coming back to the Spurs and he said "I don't know yet". That gives me hope :lobt2:

jgome21
06-29-2009, 10:31 PM
I like Fab, but theres no point of him coming back. Hes a waste of a roster space.

Lebowski Brickowski
06-29-2009, 10:36 PM
I like Fab, but theres no point of him coming back. Hes a waste of a roster space.
oberto would be a big plus on and off the court . . . if his heart is not ok, i think he'll retire.

gaKNOW!blee
06-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I was never really a Fab fan, I don't really want him back.

Phenomanul
06-29-2009, 10:44 PM
People should know better than to place Oberto in a "Stackhouse"-like situation...

jman3000
06-29-2009, 10:52 PM
I wouldn't mind him playing a handful of minutes per night. No more than 8 though. On the condition that he agrees that the only time he is allowed on the court Manu would have to be playing as well.

SouthTexasRancher
06-29-2009, 10:53 PM

Ditto...!

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Has Fab even been cut yet? Perhaps I just missed it, but I never saw any kind of announcement.

SenorSpur
06-29-2009, 11:09 PM

Amen.

loveforthegame
06-29-2009, 11:09 PM
So Finley is the only old guy fans don't want back??

lefty
06-29-2009, 11:10 PM
On twitter someone asked Fabri if he's coming back to the Spurs and he said "I don't know yet". That gives me hope :lobt2:

Let's help him out:

" just retire "

MarHill
06-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Amen.

SenorSpur,

We do agree on Fab.

It's time!!!

I'm still holding onto Fin though!! LOL!!!

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Fdawg07
06-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Well this year we got a few more roster spots open then we usually do. Since were so short on big men, why not keep him as a back up-back up? Sign him to a veterans minimum! We're gonna need a big bodied veteran at some point!

VivaPopovich
06-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Fab is soft. He doesn't post, he doesn't defend the post, he doesn't rebound, he doesn't block shots.. You literally have to think for a moment what exactly it is that he contributes to.

His screen-roll defense is good, so is his chemistry with the team on offense. And I suppose if he only got more looks he could develop an ok-post game. But with Blair, Gist, Mahinmi, and possibly Rasheed, do we really need this?

smrattler
06-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Twitter must be lawyers' and agents' worst nightmare.

EricB
06-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Fab is soft. He doesn't post, he doesn't defend the post, he doesn't rebound, he doesn't block shots.. You literally have to think for a moment what exactly it is that he contributes to.

His screen-roll defense is good, so is his chemistry with the team on offense. And I suppose if he only got more looks he could develop an ok-post game. But with Blair, Gist, Mahinmi, and possibly Rasheed, do we really need this?

Fabricio is alot of things.

Soft is not one.

timvp
06-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Oberto would make a damn good 12th man. You can dust him off at any point and he'd be useful.

loveforthegame
06-30-2009, 12:08 AM
I'd be afraid he'd take minutes away from Blair or Gist or Mahinmi.

Just like Finley would take minutes away from Hill, Hairston, Williams, or any other young guy who needs those minutes.

timvp
06-30-2009, 12:10 AM
I'd be afraid he'd take minutes away from Blair or Gist or Mahinmi.Doubt it. Pop already showed last year he's perfectly capable of burying Oberto on the bench.

loveforthegame
06-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Doubt it. Pop already showed last year he's perfectly capable of burying Oberto on the bench.

Same goes for Bowen.

And with the moves this off season so far I think he'll do the same to Finley.

timvp
06-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Same goes for Bowen.Unfairly.

And with the moves this off season so far I think he'll do the same to Finley.We'll see. Spurs fans were telling me this last year when the Spurs re-signed him and I was saying it was a massive mistake.

I still can't believe the Spurs gave Finley $5 million after his horrible end to the 2008 season. Still makes no sense.

objective
06-30-2009, 12:16 AM
No thanks on Oberto.

All Oberto would do is clog up garbage time minutes during blowout wins and losses that could go to Mahinmi/Blair/Gist and stunt their development.

timvp
06-30-2009, 12:24 AM
No thanks on Oberto.

All Oberto would do is clog up garbage time minutes during blowout wins and losses that could go to Mahinmi/Blair/Gist and stunt their development.

The Spurs need some vets on the team next year. I don't want the deep bench to be all young players who would be basically worthless if forced into playoff action. Oberto is perfect insurance plan because he won't be used unless Pop gets desperate. He's a totally different case than Finley because Pop will use Finley in any situation.

If a big goes down deep in the playoffs, having Oberto rather than Mahinmi or Gist as the 12th man would make a huge difference. No young 12th man big could come in and help at all in the playoffs. Oberto could.

objective
06-30-2009, 12:30 AM
While I agree that Pop is willing to put Oberto in the deepfreeze unlike Finley . . .

If the Spurs have to rely on Oberto to win a playoff game at this stage of his career, they are not winning. Furthermore, even if he could play a contributing role to a win in the playoffs, there's the extra risk that his heart will burp itself out of rhythm again and he'll be unavailable anyway. Then what will the Spurs do?

Solid D
06-30-2009, 12:37 AM
If the Spurs were to bring Fabby back, that would either mean that 1) Mahinmi isn't cutting it or is injured again, 2) the Spurs spent the majority of their MLE on a real backup PG instead of a Big, 3) Gist and players like Marcus Williams become trimmings/Toros/etc.

timvp
06-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Furthermore, even if he could play a contributing role to a win in the playoffs, there's the extra risk that his heart will burp itself out of rhythm again and he'll be unavailable anyway. Then what will the Spurs do?They'd be forced to go one more rung down the ladder ... which is exactly where they'd be without Oberto. I don't see how the extra buffer of injury protection changes anything for the young big at the end of the bench.

Oberto in a Sean Marks role increases the Spurs chances of winning a championship.

Mr. Body
06-30-2009, 12:46 AM
I don't want a completely clean slate next year. Our bench needs some system/corporate knowledge guys like Oberto and Bowen/Finley. One at each position is enough.

ivanfromwestwood
06-30-2009, 12:56 AM
oberto is probably one of the top 3 passing big men in the nba if not the best. he doesnt grab rebounds but he does keep plays alive by batting the ball back. he is smart as hell and knows where to be when tim gets doubled. its funny. you guys act like he cant produce. i never saw his down slide. he lost minutes because the bonner experiment and his heart. we would be lucky to have him back for a million for one year. if his heart acts up, cant he retire and the rest of his salary not count against the lux tax?

EricB
06-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Oberto was playing fantastic basketball last year before his heart problem.

If the surgery fixed his heart proble, he would be fantastic in that Tony Massenburg role.

Blair, Mahinmi, and Gist would learn ALOT under Oberto's wing.

especially Gist who could be a passing, small ball athletic matchup big.

InK
06-30-2009, 02:35 AM
Oberto coming off the bench with Manu for a few minutes per game would be great. We need another big besides the MLE one, and if Fab is willing to sign for 1m (or even a tad more) then we take him. It's either him or nothing at this point.

Blair's health will allways be a concern, Mahinmi's even more so, when Bonner takes a night off he can stink up the place like few others, so having a proven hussle type player with good passing and decent rebounding skills on the roster should be something we all should be pleased with....or no?

EricB
06-30-2009, 02:39 AM
Why is BLair's health a concern?

He hasn't missed a game due to injury since the 10th grade....

timvp
06-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Oberto was playing fantastic basketball last year before his heart problem.Oberto sucked at the beginning of last year. And didn't his heart problem force him to miss the beginning of the season?

Why is BLair's health a concern?He doesn't have ACLs.

EricB
06-30-2009, 02:53 AM
Oberto sucked at the beginning of last year. And didn't his heart problem force him to miss the beginning of the season?

He doesn't have ACLs.

Im talking about his heart murmur right near the end of the year. Right up until that time with Duncan out Oberto strung together some really solid to good games and was turning it on.

He doesn't have ACLs

Hasn't had em for four years and Heinz Ward who plays in a harder sport hasn't had em for over 20.

But yeah lets keep going with the idea he's gonna fall down in pain at any minute.

Blackjack
06-30-2009, 03:09 AM
Oberto sucked at the beginning of last year. And didn't his heart problem force him to miss the beginning of the season?

True. Oberto was never able to get on track or in a rhythm last year to really know what he's got left. Wouldn't mind him back on the team for continuity/chemistry purposes, but it'd really depend on the type/quality of big the Spurs were able to acquire with the MLE.

Forgotten in all this, is how well K.T. played once he got over that early season leg injury. He seemed to wear down towards the end of the season, maybe in part due to the minutes/intensity he was forced to play with earlier in the season, but I wouldn't mind seeing him back if the Spurs get that quality starting big. He's still one hell of a post-defender to have in your arsenal if he's fresh/right down the stretch.

EricB
06-30-2009, 03:12 AM
He seemed to wear down towards the end of the season, maybe in part due to the minutes/intensity he was forced to play with earlier in the season, but I wouldn't mind seeing him back if the Spurs get that quality starting big. He's still one hell of a post-defender to have in your arsenal if he's fresh/right down the stretch.

Is this the same KT posting double doubles night in and night out while Duncan sat out?

Blackjack
06-30-2009, 03:22 AM
Is this the same KT posting double doubles night in and night out while Duncan sat out?

Towards the end of the season. As in the end.

K.T. was fantastic last year after getting over that hamstring (IIRC) and getting into a rhythm, but towards the end of the season and going into the playoffs he clearly did not look the same.

I saw enough last year from Kurt physically to believe when he's right/fresh he's still a very useful player to have. The key is to actually keep him fresh.

EricB
06-30-2009, 03:25 AM
Towards the end of the season. As in the end.

K.T. was fantastic last year after getting over that hamstring (IIRC) and getting into a rhythm, but towards the end of the season and going into the playoffs he clearly did not look the same.

I saw enough last year from Kurt physically to believe when he's right/fresh he's still a very useful player to have. The key is to actually keep him fresh.

I'm not quite following.

If he was doing that at the end of the season he wasn't losing steam.

kace
06-30-2009, 03:42 AM
Fin, Bowen and Fab are all precious vets who can bring some experience to this team. Bowen and Fab for the vet min and Fin for his last year of contract would all be great to have as 10-15 players with few minutes.

The theory about them needing to go away because Pop would be playing them too much is just stupid.

so basically, some of you are asking to bring weaker players so that Pop wouldn't have to hesitate in his choices between Blair, Mahinmi, Hill or Mc Clinton and vets ? The best players play and i really think the FO is willing to add some youth to the team's rotation.

Bring them, especially Fab and Bowen for the vet min.
It would be a great insurance to have them at the end of the bench for so few money. I really don't see how having better for less money.

crc21209
06-30-2009, 03:50 AM
In my mind...Fab > Bonner ANY day of the week. The man has a higher bball IQ, can play high/low with Timmy better, can rebound/tap-out balls for rebounds waaaaaaay better than Bonner.

Blackjack
06-30-2009, 03:55 AM
I'm not quite following.

If he was doing that at the end of the season he wasn't losing steam.

I went back and checked the numbers and K.T. peaked in february and steadily, but not drastiaclly, fell off each of the following 3 months. But more than a numbers thing, it was the way he looked physically. Yeah, he'd have an impressive outing one night where he looked to have the juice but then he'd have 3 or 4 nights where even if he seemed pretty productive, it just wasn't the same. He looked somewhat gassed.

Be that as it may, I'm not going to sit here and argue something I'm not trying to argue. My point was to say I'd still like to see Kurt on this team if he's bought out, and it seems you want me to tear him down or argue for the sake of arguing.

Kurt would be useful in a limited role where he wasn't depended to carry such a heavy load and if the Spurs land a quality big with the MLE, there'd be no need for him to.

timvp
06-30-2009, 04:01 AM
The best players play

:lol

I don't think any sane Spurs fan can argue that was the case last season.

Spurs Brazil
06-30-2009, 04:54 AM
I only see Oberto back if the Spurs can't get Sheed or Dice and Pop want a veteran that know the system

InK
06-30-2009, 05:05 AM
I only see Oberto back if the Spurs can't get Sheed or Dice and Pop want a veteran that know the system

I think its the opposite. If they get any of the two, i think we get Oberto back. If not, then we experiment a bit.

buttsR4rebounding
06-30-2009, 06:39 AM
No thanks on Oberto.

Gist is not getting any time on the Spurs this year. With Ian, Blair and probably a new starting big all needing to get minutes to really learn the system Gist will either be on the Toros or overseas again. His only hope to make the Spurs is if he is considered a 3, not a 4. If he is a 3 then Oberto's return would have no impact. Besides, if Oberto returns he is merely an insurance big that watches most games in sports coat.

tp2021
06-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Fab deserves more credit. He isn't like Finley, in that he can hurt his team by playing poorly. The Spurs didn't lose games because of Fabricio.

hater
06-30-2009, 08:40 AM
Oberto will be back wether ppl like it here or not.

He is insurance. Come on :rolleyes you would put all your money on no ACLs Blair, Glassman Mahinmi or the slim chance we might land a big FA????

please get real.

kace
06-30-2009, 02:23 PM
:lol

I don't think any sane Spurs fan can argue that was the case last season.

i know your endless argument about Hill last PO. i also remember his tremendous 9 points and 0 assists performance in 33 min the last game.

The fact is that, as loudly and often you said it, and as numerous were your church members to follow you there, Hill wouldn't have changed a lot of thing last year. he'll probably do in the near future, but not so much last PO.

so by playing other players over him (Fin and Mase), maybe Pop wasn't so far from having played the best players avaible then.

Once again, do you see better players for less money than Bruce and Fab for the vet min and even Fin for 2M and so ?

If the only reason for not bringing them back as 10 to 15th men is the fear to see Pop playing them over younger and better player, i say that it's just BS.

If Hill, Blair or Mahinmi, why not even Mc Clinton, emerge as useful players, i have no doubt that Pop will play them over our vets.
If they're upset, so i guess everyone should be happy to have these vet to step in for us.

ploto
06-30-2009, 02:26 PM
What do people actually expect of the 12th man on the roster playing for the minimum?

timvp
06-30-2009, 05:44 PM
i know your endless argument about Hill last PO. i also remember his tremendous 9 points and 0 assists performance in 33 min the last game.Hill proved by the end of the series that he should have gotten more minutes in the first few games. If you disagree with that then you obviously didn't watch the games.

The fact is that, as loudly and often you said it, and as numerous were your church members to follow you there, Hill wouldn't have changed a lot of thing last year. he'll probably do in the near future, but not so much last PO.Great take :rolleyes

So Hill single-handedly wasn't going to beat the Mavs. Yeah, no kidding.

And besides, you were the one convinced the Spurs would easily beat the Mavs. What happened?

so by playing other players over him (Fin and Mase), maybe Pop wasn't so far from having played the best players avaible then."The best players play" means the best players play. If they don't, then you can't say that.

Pretty simple.

Once again, do you see better players for less money than Bruce and Fab for the vet min and even Fin for 2M and so ?

WTF are you talking about? Did you read this thread or any other thread of late? I'm all for bringing back Bowen and Oberto. And the point with Finley is that his contract could potentially cut into the MLE, LLE and other avenues the Spurs can use to improve.

If you are going to try to start some weak flaming, at least know what you are talking about.

BillMc
06-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Oberto coming off the bench with Manu for a few minutes per game would be great. We need another big besides the MLE one, and if Fab is willing to sign for 1m (or even a tad more) then we take him. It's either him or nothing at this point.

Blair's health will allways be a concern, Mahinmi's even more so, when Bonner takes a night off he can stink up the place like few others, so having a proven hussle type player with good passing and decent rebounding skills on the roster should be something we all should be pleased with....or no?

Not to mention there will be nights (back to backs?) when Pop sits Timmy. So, having one more big, even if normally buried far on the bench, who knows the system can't hurt us. If there is a young big that would be in his place, mostly not playing, then the young guy might be better served with another season in the D-League where he'd get time.

Still, if it came down to resigning Bowen or Fab, I'd go with Bruce in a heartbeat. I feel a little sorry for Kurt Thomas who worked his ass off for us. No one seems to want him back. But at his age, it is understandable.:flag:

objective
06-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Gist is not getting any time on the Spurs this year. With Ian, Blair and probably a new starting big all needing to get minutes to really learn the system Gist will either be on the Toros or overseas again. His only hope to make the Spurs is if he is considered a 3, not a 4. If he is a 3 then Oberto's return would have no impact. Besides, if Oberto returns he is merely an insurance big that watches most games in sports coat.

So Finley played minutes at the smallball 4, and Udoka played minutes at the smallball 4, but Gist, who's bigger and blocks shots . . . couldn't play at the smallball 4. Gotcha.

objective
06-30-2009, 06:01 PM
I went back and checked the numbers and K.T. peaked in february and steadily, but not drastiaclly, fell off each of the following 3 months. But more than a numbers thing, it was the way he looked physically. Yeah, he'd have an impressive outing one night where he looked to have the juice but then he'd have 3 or 4 nights where even if he seemed pretty productive, it just wasn't the same. He looked somewhat gassed.

Be that as it may, I'm not going to sit here and argue something I'm not trying to argue. My point was to say I'd still like to see Kurt on this team if he's bought out, and it seems you want me to tear him down or argue for the sake of arguing.

Kurt would be useful in a limited role where he wasn't depended to carry such a heavy load and if the Spurs land a quality big with the MLE, there'd be no need for him to.

I looked at his numbers after the season and saw the same thing.

It's called getting old. He'll have a spurt where he feels good and droughts of games where his production just isn't what you think you should be getting when you think of Kurt Thomas. That''s natural. The older he gets the longer the droughts become.

coyotes_geek
06-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Has Fab even been cut yet? Perhaps I just missed it, but I never saw any kind of announcement.

???

Anyone?

manu_maniac
06-30-2009, 06:50 PM
He hasn't yet, but on his ESPN page it says that Dumars admitted he was acquired to free up cap space. http://espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2805 I haven't read it anywhere else, but there's no reason why that would be wrong.

coyotes_geek
06-30-2009, 06:57 PM
I can't see why Dumars would have traded for him if not to cut him. But according to shamsports, Fab's deal becomes fully guaranteed tomorrow. It's possible sham is wrong, but that would be rare.

GSH
07-01-2009, 01:09 PM
Well, I guess he knows now. Probably posted elsewhere, although I didn't see it under its own thread title. But they did waive Fab yesterday.

Da Spurs
07-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Getting Fab and Bowen back would be a perfect situation for the Spurs. Guys who know the system and will play for the vet minimum. What more can anyone want at the end of the bench? They'll be great with the young players and be a good locker room influence. Add Finley to this (which we didn't have a choice on) and it's a good veteran core.

We will still get our big very soon and these guys are just extras to the final pieces of the puzzle.

Spurs Brazil
07-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Once Fabricio Oberto clears waivers in Detroit on July 7, there will be several teams courting the ex-Spurs forward, including Washington, Phoenix, Sacramento and Indiana, sources say. There’s still a strong possibility he could return to the Spurs, who traded him as part of the Richard Jefferson deal last month.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApYIUnOjeceWQAaZyjIDaJu8vLYF?slug=aw-gordonvillanueva070109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns