PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't anybody talking about Lamar Odom?

50 cent
06-29-2009, 10:31 PM
I think Odom should be the Spurs #1 prospect this offseason. I'd be fine with Rasheed, but Odom would be the perfect compliment to round out this team.

I know the Lakers don't want to let him go, but they might not have a choice. Odom is a UFA. Maybe he is tired of coming off the bench behind Gasol, Ariza and Bynum and wants to start on a Championship caliber team.

How It Could Actually Happen:
The biggest thing that gives the Spurs a glimmer of hope is the Lakers salary situation.

The Lakers currently have $76.8 million on the books for 2009-2010.

Kobe: 23.0M
Gasol: 16.4M
Bynum: 12.5M
Morrison: 5.3M :lmao
Fisher: 5.0M
Sasah: 5.0M :lmao
Luke Walton: 4.8M :lmao
Farmar: 2.0M
Mbenga: 1.0M
Powell: 1.0M
Yue: 1.0M

The luxury tax threshold is estimated to be around $70M this coming season so the Lakers are already $6.5 million over the dollar for dollar luxury tax threshold. I don't see anyway the Lakers can cut any salary because they have already tried to rid themselves of Sasha's awful contract and nobody wants it. Adam Morrison's contract is a total joke.

This $76M is without Odom, Ariza, or Shannon Brown being signed. I've got to think that Ariza is priority #1 for the Lakers because of his age and his production this offseason. Let's say that Portland or Detroit could come out and offer Ariza $7M/yr to start. Ariza has said that he prefers to stay in L.A and so he tells the Lakers that he wants to stay, but is getting ~$7M from other teams and that he will stay if they match. If the Lakers match the offer, it will actually cost them $14M ($7M in salary and $7M in lux tax) a year taking their salary cap amount up to $83.7M without Odom and Brown.

Shannon Brown showed some flashes and is a young guy that L.A. would like to resign. Let's say that Brown gets $3.3M a year and L.A. decides he is worth it (he certainly is if Morrison and Sasha are worth $5M). This takes L.A.'s salary up to $87M for the year without resigning Odom.

If the luxury tax threshold is $70M, then that would put the Lakers payroll at $104M after luxury tax payments without Odom!

Keep in mind that Odom is a UFA. Let's say the Spurs come to Odom and offer him a 5/$32M contract. Can L.A. really match that and pay twice that much in luxury tax for a backup PF? If so, their salary totals would be up to around $93M pre-lux tax which would actually cost them $116M.

Buss has shown no precedent whatsoever to spend that kind of money. Maybe he does because these guys are the defending champs, but that's a lot of coin. Even if Ariza only commands MLE type money, Buss is looking paying $110 M to keep this team in tact.

Odom on the Spurs:
Now, think of how versatile Odom is and how well he would fit on this Spurs team. He can play and guard 3 different positions on the court and would be a perfect compliment to Duncan in the post. He is a good rebounder and can even bring the ball up the court.

Odom would allow the Spurs to play small ball or play big by moving down to SF.

Small ball: Tony/Mason/Manu/Jefferson/Odom

Normal ball: Tony/Manu/Jefferson/Odom/Duncan

Big: Manu/Jefferson/Odom/Duncan/Blair (or Rasho for the LLE)

The possibilities are limitless with Manu and Odom being able to bring the ball up the court.

Finally, the biggest bonus of all - it would kill the Lakers. When Odom plays well, the Lakers are unstoppable. Odom always seems to play well against us.

Is 5 years, $33M too much? Probably, but it's worth kicking L.A. in the junk for and really causing them a hard time to extend a similar offer.

I know the odds are not good because L.A. would probably overpay him out of principle alone, but remember, Odom is a UFA, not restricted. If he wants to walk, he can walk. If the Spurs offer more years and the ability next to start next to Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and Jefferson, maybe he defects.

It's worth a phone call at the minimum.

Imagine this:

Parker/Hill
Manu/Mason/McClinton
Jefferson/Finley/Hairston
Odom/Bonner/Gist
Duncan/Rasho/Blair

That is pretty freaking salty and allows us some major versatility that teams would have a hard time matching.

Duncan2177
06-29-2009, 10:38 PM
I think Odom should be the Spurs #1 prospect this offseason. I'd be fine with Rasheed, but Odom would be the perfect compliment to round out this team.

I know the Lakers don't want to let him go, but they might not have a choice. Odom is a UFA. Maybe he is tired of coming off the bench behind Gasol, Ariza and Bynum and wants to start on a Championship caliber team.

How It Could Actually Happen:
The biggest thing that gives the Spurs a glimmer of hope is the Lakers salary situation.

The Lakers currently have $76.8 million on the books for 2009-2010.

Kobe: 23.0M
Gasol: 16.4M
Bynum: 12.5M
Morrison: 5.3M :lmao
Fisher: 5.0M
Sasah: 5.0M :lmao
Luke Walton: 4.8M :lmao
Farmar: 2.0M
Mbenga: 1.0M
Powell: 1.0M
Yue: 1.0M

The luxury tax threshold is estimated to be around $70M this coming season so the Lakers are already $6.5 million over the dollar for dollar luxury tax threshold. I don't see anyway the Lakers can cut any salary because they have already tried to rid themselves of Sasha's awful contract and nobody wants it. Adam Morrison's contract is a total joke.

This $76M is without Odom, Ariza, or Shannon Brown being signed. I've got to think that Ariza is priority #1 for the Lakers because of his age and his production this offseason. Ariza is a RFA. It's possible that Portland or Detroit could come out and offer Ariza $7M/yr to start. Let's say Ariza signs the offer sheet for $7M with one of these teams. If the Lakers match the offer, it will actually cost them $14M ($7M in salary and $7M in lux tax) a year taking their salary cap amount up to $83.7M without Odom and Brown.

Shannon Brown showed some flashes and is a young guy that L.A. would like to resign. Let's say that Brown gets $3.3M a year and L.A. decides he is worth it (he certainly is if Morrison and Sasha are worth $5M). This takes L.A.'s salary up to $87M for the year without resigning Odom.

If the luxury tax threshold is $70M, then that would put the Lakers payroll at $104M after luxury tax payments without Odom!

Keep in mind that Odom is a UFA. Let's say the Spurs come to Odom and offer him a 5/$32M contract. Can L.A. really match that and pay twice that much in luxury tax for a backup PF? If so, their salary totals would be up to around $93M pre-lux tax which would actually cost them $116M.

Buss has shown no precedent whatsoever to spend that kind of money. Maybe he does because these guys are the defending champs, but that's a lot of coin. Even if Ariza only commands MLE type money, Buss is looking paying $110 M to keep this team in tact.

Odom on the Spurs:
Now, think of how versatile Odom is and how well he would fit on this Spurs team. He can play and guard 3 different positions on the court and would be a perfect compliment to Duncan in the post. He is a good rebounder and can even bring the ball up the court.

Odom would allow the Spurs to play small ball or play big by moving down to SF.

Small ball: Tony/Mason/Manu/Jefferson/Odom

Normal ball: Tony/Manu/Jefferson/Odom/Duncan

Big: Manu/Jefferson/Odom/Duncan/Blair (or Rasho for the LLE)

The possibilities are limitless with Manu and Odom being able to bring the ball up the court.

Finally, the biggest bonus of all - it would kill the Lakers. When Odom plays well, the Lakers are unstoppable. Odom always seems to play well against us.

Is 5 years, $33M too much? Probably, but it's worth kicking L.A. in the junk for and really causing them a hard time to extend a similar offer.

I know the odds are not good because L.A. would probably overpay him out of principle alone, but remember, Odom is a UFA, not restricted. If he wants to walk, he can walk. If the Spurs offer more years and the ability next to start next to Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and Jefferson, maybe he defects.

It's worth a phone call at the minimum.

Imagine this:

Parker/Hill
Manu/Mason/McClinton
Jefferson/Finley/Hairston
Odom/Bonner/Gist
Duncan/Rasho/Blair

That is pretty freaking salty and allows us some major versatility that teams would have a hard time matching.

Because we already have a small foward in Jefferson and Odom is not a bigman,The spurs #1 prospect right now is finding a bigman.

montgod
06-29-2009, 10:40 PM
because we already have a small foward in jefferson and odom is not a bigman,the spurs #1 prospect right now is finding a bigman.

+1

Ice009
06-29-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm not even going to read your post.

Do you realize all we can offer Odom is the MLE???

The Lakers will have no problem matching that, in fact if we did that I'd say the Lakers would be saying we did them a favor allowing them to get him that cheap ;).

coyotes_geek
06-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Makes perfect sense. Everyone knows those small time lakers can't throw around money like we do here in San Antonio. Who the hell does Jerry Buss think he is? Peter Holt? :lmao

2pac
06-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Because we already have a small foward in Jefferson and Odom is not a bigman,The spurs #1 prospect right now is finding a bigman.

Good point
ESPN Says he is a PF (http://espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=617)

Odom averaged 8.2rpgin 29 MPG
Rasheed Wallace averaged 7.2 rpg in 32MPG.
Odom and Rasheed both averaged 1.3 bpg.

50 cent
06-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Odom is most certainly a PF. He guards PFs better than he does SFs and can play any position on offense.

Duncan needs to slide to the 5 anyway. Duncan has a lost a step and has a harder time guarding the quicker PFs in the league, while Odom does a nice job of doing so (see his D on Rashard Lewis).

Duncan does well on the Shaqs and Dampiers of the world.

Odom is 6'10 which certainly qualifies as a PF.

Pop has already mentioned that there are more 4s out there that they like in FA than any other position.

After getting Blair, I think the Spurs are more willing to look at somebody like Odom to play the 4 position since we have a banger to compliment his style of play.

timvp
06-29-2009, 10:45 PM
You can't get him with the MLE.

lefty
06-29-2009, 10:46 PM
We do talk about LO when he shows up.

Which is twice a year

2pac
I'm not even going to read your post.

Then you are a dumbass. Buss could be at $104mm just resigning Shannon Brown and Ariza, before he even touches Odom.

Way to form an opinion before you have learned about the subject, dumbass.
:nope

50 cent
The Lakers will have no problem matching that, in fact if we did that I'd say the Lakers would be saying we did them a favor allowing them to get him that cheap ;).
That might be a good point if Lamar Odom was a RFA, but he's unrestricted.

The Lakers don't have any right to match an offer. Odom signs whereever he signs and that's the end of that.

50 cent
06-29-2009, 10:49 PM
You can't get him with the MLE.
So LJ, reading my analysis of their salary cap situation, do you really think the Lakers are going to pay Odom $8-10M a year and also try to sign Ariza for the minimum of the MLE?

I just can't see the Lakers willing to spend $115-125M to keep Ariza and Odom.

Trainwreck2100
06-29-2009, 10:51 PM
too pricey,move along

50 cent
06-29-2009, 10:54 PM
too pricey,move along
You guys keep saying that, but who's going to give him more money?

Detroit, OKC, Portland?

I don't think any of those teams are interested. As mentioned above, the Lakers aren't really in a position to offer him a shit ton of money.

Again, I don't think it's very likely, but it's certainly possible that he is attainable with MLE money if you give him enough years.

Ice009
06-29-2009, 10:54 PM
That might be a good point if Lamar Odom was a RFA, but he's unrestricted.

The Lakers don't have any right to match an offer. Odom signs whereever he signs and that's the end of that.

lol yeah whatever. The basic point of my post is that we can't get him for the MLE. That's the exact same thing Timvp said. Sure he is unrestricted, but for the MLE I'm pretty sure he would chose the Lakers.

50 cent
06-29-2009, 10:57 PM
lol yeah whatever. The basic point of my post is that we can't get him for the MLE. That's the exact same thing Timvp said. Sure he is unrestriced, but for the MLE I'm pretty sure he would chose the Lakers.

You said that the Lakers can easily match. If you took the time to read my post instead of being a dumbass, you would realize that they can't just easily match if they want to keep Ariza too.

I'm asking who you think is going to offer Odom more than the MLE.

Educate yourself on L.A.'s crappy salary cap situation and then come back and let me know before you just assume they are going to spend $25 million more in luxury tax than they ever have shown to do in the past.

Ice009
06-29-2009, 10:58 PM
You guys keep saying that, but who's going to give him more money?

Detroit, OKC, Portland?

I don't think any of those teams are interested. As mentioned above, the Lakers aren't really in a position to offer him a shit ton of money.

Again, I don't think it's very likely, but it's certainly possible that he is attainable with MLE money if you give him enough years.

He could sign with the Lakers for the MLE and ask for an opt out clause after 3 seasons or so to go after more money if he wants then. If he's going to take a cheaper deal to stay with the Lakers it would be in his best interest to put a few clauses in like No trade clause and an Opt out clause.

Ice009
06-29-2009, 11:01 PM
You said that the Lakers can easily match. If you took the time to read my post instead of being a dumbass, you would realize that they can't just easily match if they want to keep Ariza too.

I'm asking who you think is going to offer Odom more than the MLE.

Educate yourself on L.A.'s crappy salary cap situation and then come back and let me know before you just assume they are going to spend $25 million more in luxury tax than they ever have shown to do in the past.

I know he's a free agent. That's just the way I worded it, incorrect on my part as I knew he was unrestricted.

AGAIN my basic point is for the MLE exception he would not choose the Spurs over the Lakers if they offered him the same contract.

The only way I think that he doesn't go back to the Lakers is if they don't want him back. Are you saying the Lakers are just going to let him walk for a MLE type contract to another team?

SouthTexasRancher
06-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Then you are a dumbass. Buss could be at $104mm just resigning Shannon Brown and Ariza, before he even touches Odom.

Way to form an opinion before you have learned about the subject, dumbass.
:nope

Dr. Buss keeps more than $104 million in his glove box and another $104 million in his top desk drawer just for the fun of it. If Phil wants Odom so they can try for a repeat (which ain't gonna happen) then Jerry OK's the Odom deal. And if Buss runs out of his $Billion$ then he can borrow a $Billion or two from Magic. Odom will be a Laker this coming season.

50 cent
06-29-2009, 11:05 PM
He could sign with the Lakers for the MLE and ask for an opt out clause after 3 seasons or so to go after more money if he wants then. If he's going to take a cheaper deal to stay with the Lakers it would be in his best interest to put a few clauses in like No trade clause and an Opt out clause.
I know you didn't bother reading my OP, but what if Odom would prefer to start instead of coming off the bench behind Bynum, Gasol, and Ariza?

Odom could do the same thing here - sign for the MLE and ask for a player option in his 2nd or 3rd year.

I know S.A. is total shithole compared to L.A. which makes this unlikely, but it certainly a possibility and shouldn't just be discarded because somebody told you it's "too pricey".

It's not too pricey if he can't get anymore elsewhere and this is the best place for him to put himself in a position to get more money in 2-3 years by being a starter on a Championship contending team.

DrHouse
06-29-2009, 11:08 PM
Dr. Buss keeps more than $104 million in his glove box and another $104 million in his top desk drawer just for the fun of it. If Phil wants Odom so they can try for a repeat (which ain't gonna happen) then Jerry OK's the Odom deal. And if Buss runs out of his $Billion$ then he can borrow a $Billion or two from Magic. Odom will be a Laker this coming season.

God damn you write just like the white trash you are. Don't you have a sister you should be fucking?

Anyways all this pie in the sky talk about Odom and Ariza getting offered big bucks is just that. Nobody is going to pay Ariza $7mil, that's fucking ridiculous. At best he gets a little over the MLE. And Odom's situation is even worse considering his age, nobody in their right mind would shell out a huge contract to him after he's already won a championship. Especially with 2010 coming around the corner.

Ice009
06-29-2009, 11:10 PM
I know you didn't bother reading my OP, but what if Odom would prefer to start instead of coming off the bench behind Bynum, Gasol, and Ariza?

Odom could do the same thing here - sign for the MLE and ask for a player option in his 2nd or 3rd year.

I know S.A. is total shithole compared to L.A. which makes this unlikely, but it certainly a possibility and shouldn't just be discarded because somebody told you it's "too pricey".

It's not too pricey if he can't get anymore elsewhere and this is the best place for him to put himself in a position to get more money in 2-3 years by being a starter on a Championship contending team.

He'd probably ask for those same clauses here like you said. If he does that then I'd say the Spurs wouldn't want him if they can't trade him.

Also, the Spurs are the Lakers rival I seriously doubt LA will let him come to the Spurs. They would probably offer him more money just to keep him away from the Spurs.

50 cent
06-29-2009, 11:11 PM

Dr. Buss is only worth $380M.

I swear, most of you just spout off a bunch of non-sense and don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about. Google is your friend.

Link to NBA Owners Net worth (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-salary-owners.htm)

SouthTexasRancher
06-29-2009, 11:12 PM
God damn you write just like the white trash you are. Don't you have a sister you should be fucking?

Anyways all this pie in the sky talk about Odom and Ariza getting offered big bucks is just that. Nobody is going to pay Ariza $7mil, that's fucking ridiculous. At best he gets a little over the MLE. And Odom's situation is even worse considering his age, nobody in their right mind would shell out a huge contract to him after he's already won a championship. Especially with 2010 coming around the corner.

Ahhh, I see Nurse Doublewide Trailer Up On Cinder Blocks is at the gay bar posting again. Get out of the bathroom and have someone drive you home. What a pervert.

50 cent
06-29-2009, 11:13 PM
And Odom's situation is even worse considering his age, nobody in their right mind would shell out a huge contract to him after he's already won a championship. Especially with 2010 coming around the corner.

Odom is 29. Most people consider that to be a player's prime. You're trying to make it sound like he's 36 or something.

And the Spurs have pretty much already given up on the 2010 plan, so they're ready to spend this season.

MarHill
06-29-2009, 11:14 PM
he'd probably ask for those same clauses here like you said. If he does that then i'd say the spurs wouldn't want him if they can't trade him.

Also, the spurs are the lakers rival i seriously doubt la will let him come to the spurs. They would probably offer him more money just to keep him away from the spurs.

+1

picnroll
06-29-2009, 11:14 PM
If Pritchard was smart he'd make a raid on the Lakers for Odom and/or Ariza and then trade some of Portland's complimentary pieces like Outlaw or Batum to pick up players he needs like a PG. That way he'd be weakening a main rival, the Lakers, and at the same time filling in some needs. Instead Portland talks about going directly after Hedo and Miller.

50 cent
06-29-2009, 11:16 PM
He'd probably ask for those same clauses here like you said. If he does that then I'd say the Spurs wouldn't want him if they can't trade him.

Also, the Spurs are the Lakers rival I seriously doubt LA will let him come to the Spurs. They would probably offer him more money just to keep him away from the Spurs.
The Spurs would be fine if he just wanted a 2-3 year contract. In fact, that's what the Spurs would likely prefer. In 3 years, Duncan is going to retire and we are going to blow this mother up and start over. The Spurs are going for it now, so they don't care if he is a tradable asset.

As for your second statement, I agree that L.A. would probably give him $10M a year to keep him from coming here, but we might as well make them do it and hit them in pocketbook along the way.

2pac
06-29-2009, 11:18 PM

According to USA TODAY (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-salary-owners.htm) Buss is worth 380mm. And that is before the stock market crashed.

My guess is his plan isn't to spend 120mm on the team this year after never spending more than 70mm before. That's a pretty significant chunk.

picnroll
06-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Hopefully Buss still has money in California real estate.

VivaPopovich
06-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Because all Laker fans can think about is signing Kobe to the maximum instead of making the right moves to ensure more championships.

Hell, fine by me.

Chillen
06-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Spurs are so weak at C. Sheed....they need a big badly. Odom has a ring now but the guy sometimes diappears in playoff games. Duncan and Sheed along with Parker, Manu and Jefferson sounds fine enough to compete for a championship.

SouthTexasRancher
06-29-2009, 11:27 PM

I swear, most of you just spout off a bunch of non-sense and don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about. Google is your friend.

Link to NBA Owners Net worth (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2005-salary-owners.htm)

Idiot, you wouldn't know a 'tic' if it bit you in the ass. The point is who gives a rats ass who your La La Land Fakers keep or let go. Now go back to your boyfriend, Nurse Doublewide, you imbecilic girlieboy.

50 cent
06-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Idiot, you wouldn't know a 'tic' if it bit you in the ass. The point is who gives a rats ass who your La La Land Fakers keep or let go. Now go back to your boyfriend, Nurse Doublewide, you imbecilic girlieboy.
What in the fuck are talking about?

Are you confusing me for a Lakers fan? GD, you are an idiot. :wow

SouthTexasRancher
06-29-2009, 11:36 PM
What in the fuck are talking about?

Are you confusing me for a Lakers fan? GD, you are an idiot. :wow

Look little 50cent pos, as far as I'm concerned you can take this sillyass thread of yours and cram it up your posterior. You have argued with everyone who has responded to your crappy Odom thread. Who gives a shit what you and House do with Odom. You can have a threesome as far as I'm concerned. Next time I see a thread started by you I'll just pass it on by so you can have your hissie-fits by yourself. I am out of here. Sheeeeesh, someone call a Psychiatrist for this nutzoid.

NewJerSpur
06-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Perhaps Phoenix can pay Lamar...they are clearing salary space after all.

smrattler
06-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Yeah, those Lakers don't have money to burn, we can outbid them.

Taking it to the Hole
06-29-2009, 11:47 PM
meh...I would rather have Gortat, Sheed , or Dice before we even try to woo Odom. Besides, it is a moot discussion, he isn't going anywhere.

rayray2k8
06-29-2009, 11:49 PM
Because the lakers will re-sign him. Possibly Ariza as well.
Let them be at full strength. I'd rather beat them that way.
No excuses.

EricB
06-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Ariza resigns, Odom goes to Detroit or someone else who has the capspace.

odom will be looking for one more payday now that he's got his ring.

fyatuk
06-29-2009, 11:58 PM

His personal net worth is meaningless. What matters is the teams financial situation. In 2008, Forbes reported the Lakers had over $191 mil in revenue and about $48 mil in operating income. That was with a payroll of $78 mil.

That means they can increase payroll to a little over $100 mil WITHOUT POSTING A LOSS. Note, that's actual payroll, including the luxary tax, you're looking at roughly $125 mil without worries.

So no, the Lakers paying $110 mil would not be that big of a deal. They'd still post positive gains...

picnroll
06-30-2009, 12:02 AM
His personal net worth is meaningless. What matters is the teams financial situation. In 2008, Forbes reported the Lakers had over $191 mil in revenue and about $48 mil in operating income. That was with a payroll of $78 mil.

That means they can increase payroll to a little over $100 mil WITHOUT POSTING A LOSS. Note, that's actual payroll, including the luxary tax, you're looking at roughly $125 mil without worries.

So no, the Lakers paying $110 mil would not be that big of a deal. They'd still post positive gains...

2008 ain't 2009.

Tradition
06-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Ariza resigns, Odom goes to Detroit or someone else who has the capspace.

odom will be looking for one more payday now that he's got his ring.

Odom dealt with losing during his days as a clipper. He doesnt want to experience that again. What it says on the jersey will play a huge role in Odom staying. He will stay a Laker as will Ariza. Both are LA people who want to stay and defend the title.

Obstructed_View
06-30-2009, 12:43 AM
If the Spurs passed on Gooden because of his low basketball IQ only to throw money at Odom, I'd consider that the irony of the season.

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Odom won't be here, let's not get too greedy..

let's just hope Odom or Ariza doesn't return to LA, that's all we can ask for..

knowing the NBA, they'll probably help LA shed one of their bad contracts..

Mr. Body
06-30-2009, 12:45 AM
I don't see the LAL surviving the loss of Odom, especially if he goes to the Spurs. Give him a call and see, but I deeply doubt it. If he goes to some other team, wonderful.

holcs50
06-30-2009, 12:49 AM
50 I actually like the post-don't know why these hoez are jumping on you. All 50's saying is it would be an ideal situation, and it could happen. Will it happen, highly doubt it because even if the spurs offered a long 5 year/32 mil contract and even if the lakers didn't want to pay that they would if it came to it. No way they'd lose him to a conference rival. And if like some of you guys said you prefer a 34 year old sheed to a 29 year old odom because of a few pounds you're fucking nuts!

As for me, obviously what 50 said is an ideal situation-gain a flexible, efficient big man while the lakers are getting smoked at the same time. Again highly doubtful. I hope some dumb team offers up a big contract-maybe the mavs or pistons or some team that's desperate. That being said, Odom's last feelings were he is going to stay, and he hasn't made a peep yet about even wanting to test FA market. He still might, but it wouldn't surprise me if they work it out without any problems. 50 had another good point though, this is prob Odoms last chance to really get a nice contract, so you never know.

sabar
06-30-2009, 01:04 AM

People buy teams to post a significant profit so they increase their net worth. Buss isn't going to OK things to the point where he is making chump change from the Lakers, even if it is technically profit. He and all other owners want tens of millions in revenue, not $200,000. This is the thing that lakerfan misses when they say that Buss will pay any amount. He wont. He is a businessman first and a game fan second. This isn't Mark Cuban who has money to throw away and invested in the team for entertainment purposes.

Shastafarian
06-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Trevor Ariza's agent David Lee said Monday that the Lakers won't receive a hometown discount from his client.

Lee declined to reveal how much of a raise Ariza will seek when he becomes an unrestricted free agent, but he said his client should make him the most coveted wing player on the market.

Among the teams Lee expects to pursue Ariza are Detroit, Portland and Toronto.

"It's a question of how committed the Lakers are to competing again," Lee said. "If everyone else stood still, you could see what happens when a piece is missing, but the reality is teams out there are positioning themselves to be competitive. When other teams are getting better, you can't afford to rest on your laurels."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60187/20090630/ariza_wont_accept_hometown_discount_from_lakers/

:lol

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2009, 01:35 AM
They have to deal with Kobe's contract, and Odom/Ariza's demands..the Lakers are going to have a busy off-season..

I just hope they don't receive any more gifts..

Ditty
06-30-2009, 01:36 AM
im hoping LA gets screwed

NewJerSpur
06-30-2009, 01:44 AM
they have to deal with kobe's contract, and odom/ariza's demands..the lakers are going to have a busy off-season..

I just hope they don't receive any more gifts..

aaaaaaaaaaameeeeen.

Mr. Body
06-30-2009, 02:20 AM
Trevor Ariza's agent David Lee said Monday that the Lakers won't receive a hometown discount from his client.

Lee declined to reveal how much of a raise Ariza will seek when he becomes an unrestricted free agent, but he said his client should make him the most coveted wing player on the market.

Among the teams Lee expects to pursue Ariza are Detroit, Portland and Toronto.

"It's a question of how committed the Lakers are to competing again," Lee said. "If everyone else stood still, you could see what happens when a piece is missing, but the reality is teams out there are positioning themselves to be competitive. When other teams are getting better, you can't afford to rest on your laurels."

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60187/20090630/ariza_wont_accept_hometown_discount_from_lakers/

:lol

Awesome. Great news. But why would Portland want him? And Detroit has a billion small forwards already.

EricB
06-30-2009, 02:24 AM
Detroit has many times said they want him along with Boozer.

Toronto I don't see WHY they would, but yes I can see it.

Portland? Why? You have 50 THOUSAND wings, why would you add him.

Mr. Body
06-30-2009, 02:28 AM
Cool, if Detroit signs him. I'd love the shit out of that.

But they've been drafting tons of SFs...?

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2009, 02:31 AM
Toronto could look at him..they've extended a verbal offer to Marion, but everybody knows that Marion has a huge ego, so we'll see if he takes it..if he doesn't, Ariza makes sense..

I think Ariza is much more likely to sign somewhere else than Odom..I haven't heard about any interest in Odom yet, hopefully a few teams will go after him..

Ariza's agent is the same guy that forced the Lakers to overpay for Bynum, so that's obviously good for everybody else..

EricB
06-30-2009, 02:31 AM
Cool, if Detroit signs him. I'd love the shit out of that.

But they've been drafting tons of SFs...?

I dunno, but I've been hearing too that Detroit has been wanting either Lamar Odom or Trevor Ariza.

Boozer of course being object number 1 of their affections.

Tradition
06-30-2009, 02:32 AM
It is going to be a while before the Pistons are back in the thick of things in the east. A soon to be 30 year old Odom or a role player who wont fit at all in Trevor Ariza on a team that will suck for years to come doesnt make much sense other than just pissing away money.

Mr. Body
06-30-2009, 02:34 AM
It is going to be a while before the Pistons are back in the thick of things in the east. A soon to be 30 year old Odom or a role player who wont fit at all in Trevor Ariza on a team that will suck for years to come doesnt make much sense other than just pissing away money.

If they keep McDyess and replace Wallace with Odom, a case can be made they're a better team. They're putting a lot of stock in their youngsters coming around, but still, I agree they'd not be interested.

EricB
06-30-2009, 02:37 AM
If they keep McDyess and replace Wallace with Odom, a case can be made they're a better team. They're putting a lot of stock in their youngsters coming around, but still, I agree they'd not be interested.

Supposedly McDyess is not interested in going back to Detroit.

I think that thread is on page 2 or 3.

Tradition
06-30-2009, 02:37 AM

Ariza would suck as a Piston. Not having a Gasol/Kobe to take the pressure off will exploit that. Portland needs a pg much much more than they need another sf.

Mr. Body
06-30-2009, 02:40 AM
Supposedly McDyess is not interested in going back to Detroit.

I think that thread is on page 2 or 3.

I was making a case that Detroit is not an awful team.

Although they're close to a shit or get off the pot moment.

EricB
06-30-2009, 02:54 AM
I was making a case that Detroit is not an awful team.

Although they're close to a shit or get off the pot moment.

IMO they are the worst kind of team to go to.

Not bad enough to be in the lottery but not good enough to get out of the first round, nor good enough where a trade and a new FA would get you back in the Finals.

crc21209
06-30-2009, 04:01 AM
Because Odom is such a jekyll and hyde player. One night he can be great with 15-7-8 and the next night give you 6-2-2 or something along those lines. So...no to this. :td. He just doesnt have that "Spur" quality.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-30-2009, 04:40 AM
No way Odom would sign with us for the MLE - he'd stay a Faker for that money. He's openly stated that he really enjoyed winning and would like to do some more of it, so why would he leave a situation where he is certain to get another shot at the title for lil' ol' us? Sure, I think we can beat the Fakers with the team we're assembling, but would Odom think the same way? Not on your life.

And besides, someone will come out of the woodwork, be it Detroit, the Grizz, the Raps, the Heat, someone will clear capspace and offer him $8mil+/yr over 5 years to leave the Fakers. Then it will be interesting to see whether he plays for love or money.

I think Odom would be a fantastic Spur, but I don't see it happening... and yes, I did read the OP and everything since. :lol

venitian navigator
06-30-2009, 05:06 AM
I really like Odom and I think he could be a good fit for us for a lot of reasons...
1) first of all he already played together with Duncan in the national team;
2) he's a good rebounder and decent shotblocker, if needed;
3) is a decent shooter from outside;
4) is a good defender, expecially for the three / four position, so he's ideal for "small ball"...with the advantage to be always higher than his opponent;
5) he's still young and in his prime;
6) he finally discovered the pleasure to win;
7) i Think he's the real reason why this year the lakers had always an advantage against any other team : not only he's a living match up problem for any opponent, but he's finally matured for taking his game on the court at least in 2/3 of the games he play...and this consistence, with his talent and play making skills, is a huge advantage against anyone.

That said, the point it will be if :

a) the Lakers value Ariza more than him...and if they do so they're gonna overpay him, because the combination of talent, youth and a wonderful season will entice a lot of re-building teams to offer 7 or more millions to him...that is 14 millions for Buss, considering the lux tax plus all the other money necesarrly spent for players form 11 to 15 (till now I Think the lakers have only 9 or ten players under contract) one of them being Shannon Brown (that means at least 2,5/3 millions more plus the equal amount in lux tax);

2) Odom, in case the lakers, after the signing of Ariza, deny to pay Him, Is ready to renounce to some money to play again for the title.
As averybody already said, Spurs can offer at least the MLE for five years...probably some other team (Detroit ?) could offer more, but they're not team with the some chance of a title like the actual re-loading Spurs...

Well, we'll see...however, anyone can dream...

Slippy
06-30-2009, 05:57 AM
Can't see the lakers letting Odem go offcourse but if financial reasons gives another team an opening - then he will be talked about. He was a huge part of the Lakers title run behind only Kobe and Gasol for importance. At his size, every coach would love the versatility and energy he offers. When matched, at times over-matched with player assignments he usuallly came out on top. Defensively i thought he was a monster for the Lakers with good foot speed and hustle. Most impressive was how he stepped up and adjusted to what-ever the team needed on a game to game basis. In the play-offs that's a valuable asset. BTW Odom played a lot at PF from what i saw.

Surely, the Spurs would look at him if they stood a chance.

fyatuk
06-30-2009, 06:23 AM
2008 ain't 2009.

last year figures were available for team revenue, etc. Gives a good idea what kind of shape they are in.

picnroll
06-30-2009, 06:40 AM
Awesome. Great news. But why would Portland want him? And Detroit has a billion small forwards already.

If Pritchard was smart he'd make a raid on the Lakers for Odom and/or Ariza and then trade some of Portland's complimentary pieces like Outlaw or Batum to pick up players he needs like a PG. That way he'd be weakening a main rival, the Lakers, and at the same time filling in some needs. Instead Portland talks about going directly after Hedo and Miller.

TDMVPDPOY
06-30-2009, 07:14 AM
odoms weakness in defense makes up for it for the offense he can bring imo when you compare him to ariza

ur talkin about a guy who can drive to the basket at will, whether it goes in or not is another topic....

coyotes_geek
06-30-2009, 08:46 AM
As much as I would love for the lakers to suddenly develop a chronic case of luxury tax phobia, it's not going to happen. Odom isn't going anywhere. Neither is Ariza. Now I fully expect we'll see the lakers try to make some salary dump trades, possibly involving guys like Walton or Fisher, but Odom is part of that core and there's a 0% chance they'll let him walk.

hater
06-30-2009, 08:48 AM
LMAO Ariza owning LA

hater
06-30-2009, 08:49 AM
BTW Odom is a soft pussy. why would you want him??

50 cent
06-30-2009, 09:47 AM
50 I actually like the post-don't know why these hoez are jumping on you. All 50's saying is it would be an ideal situation, and it could happen. Will it happen, highly doubt it because even if the spurs offered a long 5 year/32 mil contract and even if the lakers didn't want to pay that they would if it came to it. No way they'd lose him to a conference rival. And if like some of you guys said you prefer a 34 year old sheed to a 29 year old odom because of a few pounds you're fucking nuts!

As for me, obviously what 50 said is an ideal situation-gain a flexible, efficient big man while the lakers are getting smoked at the same time. Again highly doubtful. I hope some dumb team offers up a big contract-maybe the mavs or pistons or some team that's desperate. That being said, Odom's last feelings were he is going to stay, and he hasn't made a peep yet about even wanting to test FA market. He still might, but it wouldn't surprise me if they work it out without any problems. 50 had another good point though, this is prob Odoms last chance to really get a nice contract, so you never know.
Nice to see there is at least 1 rational person on this board that knows how to read and process what is being discussed.

DrHouse
06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Nice to see there is at least 1 rational person on this board that knows how to read and process what is being discussed.

That's because most Spur fans still view the world through their Laker hater glasses. They are unable to separate themselves from their hatred of all things Lakers.

Odom would be an amazing fit on the Spurs. A lot of what Odom does doesn't show up on the stat sheets. He is a glue guy that really excels when he is playing amongst other stars. He's the ultimate team player and worlds better than anyone else you have at PF (not counting Duncan).

The Spur's FO would be shitting bricks if they could acquire Odom.

ElNono
06-30-2009, 09:58 AM
That's because most Spur fans still view the world through their Laker hater glasses. They are unable to separate themselves from their hatred of all things Lakers.

Odom would be an amazing fit on the Spurs. A lot of what Odom does doesn't show up on the stat sheets. He is a glue guy that really excels when he is playing amongst other stars. He's the ultimate team player and worlds better than anyone else you have at PF (not counting Duncan).

The Spur's FO would be shitting bricks if they could acquire Odom.

Just terrible Odom.

You are pathetic.
:rolleyes

pad300
06-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Yeah, Odom's about as perfect a fit beside TD as there is in the NBA. I have advocated talking to him before. While he'd be very difficult to get away from the Lakers, I'd be phoning him a midnight +1 minute on July 1st. If only to convince him not to sell himself short in negotiations with the Lakers. At least make them pay what he's worth.

As it is, the Lakers tax situation may result in him leaving. Given the players to available salary situation, somebody is going to get the short end of the stick, and it may be Odom.

Also, I'm not absolutely sold he is the happiest player in LA. While he's been a good player, and one who's sacrificed for the team (for example, he prefers to start, but went to the bench w/o complaining until Bynum got hurt), I'm not sure A) his personality gets along all that well with Kobe (Kobe really does seem like a driven dickhead from the outside at least) and B) that he doesn't have a few issues (eg. Starting). If he's going to be stuck with the MLE, he might well want a situation where he starts, etc.

Spursmania
06-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Didn't anyone see ESPN first take this am? They commented that they didn't think Odom would be a likely return to LA because of his price and other teams are very interested in him. Some Laker fans who were so sure Buss would pay whatever it takes to sign all three may very well be eating crow soon.

Although, I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't re-sign Odom, but stranger things have happend.

2Cleva
06-30-2009, 11:10 AM

Quality post.

Also note that LA made $4 mil per home playoff game this season. That's an extra $48 mil there. And they just got a big local TV contract that kicked in this year. The franchise continues to make money.

Finances won't be the issue with Ariza or LO unless a team makes them an offer they can't refuse and the MLE ain't it.

D-ROB 50
06-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Remeber, with the addition of RJ and Manus health getting better Odom would not be required to carry much offense load, thus allowing him to concentrate on defense and rebounding which he can do effectivley. If big If he would play for the MLE he would be at the top of my list. Pretty much he would give you what sheed would minus some years and attitude.

50 cent
06-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, if it's not us, I hope somebody makes him a ridiculous offer. L.A. needs to lose one of Ariza or Odom and I just don't see them paying what it's going to take to keep both of them.

It will be interesting for sure to watch. Buss is no Mark Cuban that will pay anything though.

2pac
06-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Lets not forget that LA wants Ariza for the future. Odom is their bench guy.

Do we think that Odom is going to be happy when LA offers Ariza 6-7mm a year to start while Odom is given 5mm to ride the pine behind Ariza/Gasol/Bynum.

If LA is giving him 5mm to ride the bench, do you think he could be happier starting with a dominant post for the same amount of money? Then he is still with a championship-caliber team, only he is a starter next to one of the greatest posts to ever live and one of the top three point guards in the NBA. That means lots of open shots, lots of easy put backs and a huge role in getting the ring in 09.

montgod
06-30-2009, 08:27 PM
I initially thought that Odom would just be a redundant piece, now I am thinking that he actually could be a possibility. I remember when the Spurs went after Webber when we already had Duncan and was baffled, but the key is to have the most talented five on the floor.

In saying that, and also revisiting the Spurs FO statements, I think they possibly could go after a free agent 4 over a 5 since there are more talented 4 players out there.

Honestly, even if they go after after Sheed or McDyess, don't they both play the 4 over the 5? They do. Then add on Odom, Millsap (Boozer staying means they might not match), and Verajao as possible additions as well. Only after these players do Gortat or a ZaZa come to mind.

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Odom would actually be the best fit on this team, even better than Wallace IMO..it's just HIGHLY unlikely that he comes here..it would take a rift between him and the Lakers, and then it would take the luck of no other teams having any interest in him..

50 cent
06-30-2009, 11:20 PM
We shall soon see if L.A. can afford to keep them both.

I kind of doubt it.

mytespurs
06-30-2009, 11:22 PM
I think somehow, someway the Lakers hang on to both Ariza & Odom.

AFBlue
06-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Odom just seems like one of those guys that will eventually rise to the top of the FA crop...similar to last year with Maggette, Odom will entertain mid-level offers but when someone else's plan A falls through they'll throw money at Odom.

Still, I like the idea of Odom on the Spurs.

coachmac87
06-30-2009, 11:41 PM
Odom would actually be the best fit on this team, even better than Wallace IMO..it's just HIGHLY unlikely that he comes here..it would take a rift between him and the Lakers, and then it would take the luck of no other teams having any interest in him..

if he as a "rift" with the lakers...than SA would be the perfect place to go to get back at them. And i think the Lakers need Odom more than Ariza.

Odom just brings more than the table. Only thing Ariza has on Odom is age, but Ariza cant guard 3 positions. Odom gives LA sooooo many options and is a mismatch.

Thompson
06-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Because after Lamar did this in the silver and black...

NQtRXQpZHHg

...Pop will have committed murder in front of 20,000 witnesses. Granted, CIA Pop could probably whack that many, but the television audience would be too much.