PDA

View Full Version : Contract Observation

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-30-2009, 01:11 AM
Is it just me, or whenever a player is given a long term deal in the 4-6 million dollar range (so the full, maxed out MLE is what the case usually is), that player turns into an overpaid disappointment nine out of ten times, resulting in the fans always eager for the day when that contract comes off the books.

It seems like when a team maxes out its MLE on a player, it never works out well for the team. Just an observation. Trying to start a good thread. Probably a bad attempt. The one situation I can think of off the top of my head where the player signing that type of contract worked out was Raja Bell, and even he was traded because his relationship with management deteriorated.

Discuss.

sabar
06-30-2009, 01:26 AM
Problem is that a lot of the time, the MLE is all a team has to obtain any talent. Factor this in with the fact that players want security in a long term deal and you have all the ingredients for a disappointment down the road.

Kai
06-30-2009, 01:49 AM
*Thinks about Stromile Swift and shivers*

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-30-2009, 01:50 AM
^exactly

*thinks about Marcus Banks and shivers*

JamStone
06-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Pistons have been pretty fortunate when they've used their MLE under Joe Dumars: Ben Wallace in 2000 (IIRC, extended him the MLE after they traded for him in the Grant Hill deal), Chauncey Billups in 2002, and Antonio McDyess in 2004. Haven't used the MLE in a long term deal since, I believe.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-30-2009, 01:57 AM
Pistons have been pretty fortunate when they've used their MLE under Joe Dumars: Ben Wallace in 2000 (IIRC, extended him the MLE after they traded for him in the Grant Hill deal), Chauncey Billups in 2002, and Antonio McDyess in 2004. Haven't used the MLE in a long term deal since, I believe.

Shit that is lucky. Idk why people all the sudden think Dumars is a bad GM cause of one bad season. I'm still a fan of his.

JamStone
06-30-2009, 02:01 AM
Because Dumars' really "big" mistakes have been pretty glaring and tough to swallow: the Darko pick and the Iverson trade (from a basketball point of view, even though it looks ok from a financial standpoint with his salary coming off the books, depending what they do with the cap space).

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Because Dumars' really "big" mistakes have been pretty glaring and tough to swallow: the Darko pick and the Iverson trade (from a basketball point of view, even though it looks ok from a financial standpoint with his salary coming off the books, depending what they do with the cap space).

But other than that he basically rebuilt the Pistons from the ground up and had a championship winning group.

VivaPopovich
06-30-2009, 03:37 AM
Shit that is lucky. Idk why people all the sudden think Dumars is a bad GM cause of one bad season. I'm still a fan of his.

Darko Milicic followed by firing Larry Brown (I know when Brown got fired, Dumars should have kept him anyways. the players loved him and thats all that mattered) then losing Ben Wallace

Seriously, if Detroit kept Larry Brown coaching Chauncey, Rip, Tayshaun, Rasheed, Ben, they would have made the finals several more times. And I think Ben would have stayed if Coach Brown was still there. He's one of the only coaches that knew how to utilize him. They nearly beat the Spurs in Game 7 of the 2003 Finals. If memory serves me correct, they were leading for most of that game and the Spurs didn't pull away until the 4th quarter.

But the real double wammy was what happened last season. Losing Chauncey for anything was the biggest mistake of Dumars career. But he surpasses it in the same move when he lost Chauncey to AI

Then there's the probable extension of Coach Michael Curry and the likely loss of Rasheed Wallace. He'll probably join the recent fetish of dumping perfectly good talent for nothing in order to clear salary space and have the team run by rookies and call it re-building. I'll be surprised if Rip and Tayshaun are still Pistons by the end of next season.

Obstructed_View
06-30-2009, 05:14 AM
Beno Udrih, Dasagana Diop...