PDA

View Full Version : Ariza Won't Accept Hometown Discount From Lakers

EmantheSpursFan
06-30-2009, 01:19 AM
By JEFF EISENBERG
The Press-Enterprise

Jerry Buss paid $50,000 to play in a World Series of Poker tournament last weekend in Vegas, outlasting some accomplished pros before busting out in 36th place.
Lakers fans had better hope he wasn't betting with money earmarked for Trevor Ariza.
While Ariza has maintained that he hopes to wear purple and gold again next season, agent David Lee said Monday that the Lakers won't receive any hometown discount from his client. Lee declined to reveal how much of a raise Ariza will seek when he becomes an unrestricted free agent Tuesday night at 9:01 p.m., but he said the young forward's upside should make him the most coveted wing player on the market.
Among the teams Lee expects to pursue Ariza: Detroit, Portland and Toronto, franchises with enough cap space to more than double Ariza's $3.1 million salary of last season. Lee acknowledged he doesn't have a feel for how much the Lakers are willing to offer, but expressed hope that draft-week trades made by fellow contenders San Antonio, Cleveland and Orlando will coerce General Manager Mitch Kupchak into making a competitive bid.
"It's a question of how committed the Lakers are to competing again," Lee said. "If everyone else stood still, you could see what happens when a piece is missing, but the reality is teams out there are positioning themselves to be competitive. When other teams are getting better, you can't afford to rest on your laurels."
Although the Lakers want to keep their championship team intact, Ariza is not their only free agent priority. Forward Lamar Odom and reserve guard Shannon Brown also become unrestricted free agents Tuesday night, while Kobe Bryant still has one more day to decide whether he'll terminate the last two years of his deal to seek more money.
What chance the Lakers have to re-sign all their free agents ultimately depends on Buss' willingness to step up the way he has many times. The Lakers netted $4.5 million by selling their top two draft picks last week, yet with $74 million already allocated to eight players for next season, and the luxury tax threshold expected to be around $70 million, Kupchak refused to commit to bringing back Ariza and Odom.
"I don't know what the market's going to be," he said. "Even though you want a player, if a competing team comes out and makes an offer that we don't think is a good basketball business decision, then it doesn't matter how much money you have, we won't match that."
The quality that Lee believes makes Ariza most valuable is his youth. Whereas fellow free agent forwards Hedo Turkoglu, Ron Artest and Shawn Marion will be in their 30s by the time next season tips off, Ariza turns 24 today and is just beginning to harness his immense potential.
"If you're doing a one-year or two-year deal, you could have all sorts of conversations about the Artests or the Turkoglus," Lee said, "but if you're talking a five-year deal, Trevor's going to be 28 and those guys are going to be 35."
Ariza averaged 11.3 points and shot 48 percent on threes during the playoffs, playing his usual dependable defense while blossoming into a capable shooter. And as an LA native, winning a title with the Lakers was a dream come true.
"If you cut him, he bleeds purple and gold," Lee said. "The issue is whether the Lakers want to pay him."

http://www.pe.com/sports/basketball/breakout/stories/PE_Sports_Local_S_lakers_30.3cd2531.html

Ditty
06-30-2009, 01:33 AM
good

i hope the spurs can grab him with the mle

TheMACHINE
06-30-2009, 01:36 AM
good

:lol

Ditty
06-30-2009, 01:37 AM

and hope the lakers get screwed :lol

cobbler
06-30-2009, 01:40 AM
good

You cant get anymore delusional than that. I have to give you credit there.:toast

DMX7
06-30-2009, 01:41 AM

lol, we don't really want him. We just want to make you pay through the ass for him.

EmantheSpursFan
06-30-2009, 01:44 AM
HAHA wouldnt it be fun to see a rotation of RJ, Ariza and Bowen Defending Kobe during the playoffs!:rollin

KSeal
06-30-2009, 02:21 AM
Lakers will offer him what he deserves, if a stupid GM gives him more, he walks and we sign Artest.

Tradition
06-30-2009, 02:33 AM
Man I cant wait for this shit to be over with. I cant wait to resign Ariza/Odom already.

JamStone
06-30-2009, 02:36 AM
My guess is that Ariza and his agent will start high but would settle for a contract worth around $40-45 over 5 years, starting around $7 million for the first year of the contract.

I think Lamar wants and will ask for a three year, $30 million contract.

InK
06-30-2009, 02:42 AM
My guess is that Ariza and his agent will start high but would settle for a contract worth around $40-45 over 5 years, starting around $7 million for the first year of the contract.

I think Lamar wants and will ask for a three year, $30 million contract.

Yeah, that sounds about right. No way Ariza settles for 5m, when there is a guy named Sasha sitting next to him making 4.5, who has never done anything worth while. And Odom deserves the 10 and he will be getting it, if not from Lakers from somebody else.

scottspurs
06-30-2009, 02:45 AM
Somebody will offer Ariza 7-10 million dollars a year over 5-6 years. He has loads of potential so unless the lakers can afford that and the 10 million a year that Odom will find then you can say bye to one if not both.

Gouken
06-30-2009, 03:11 AM
Also begs the question will Ariza be better/improve outside of the Lakers system.

VivaPopovich
06-30-2009, 03:37 AM
So much for all the Laker fans on here insisting that Dr. Bus can afford to give every Laker all the money they want and pay the luxury tax no problem

Welcome to reality. Holding that entire talent base together will take sacrifices, not thinking that signing Kobe to the max will solve all your problems.

Chieflion
06-30-2009, 04:41 AM
Ariza is career role player. He does not deserve anything above 5 million a year.

InK
06-30-2009, 04:57 AM
Ariza is career role player. He does not deserve anything above 5 million a year.

Yeah right. The guy has got so much talent its unfair, great defender, complete all round game, and he is 23 or something like that, and you think he is getting a Luke Walton or Sasha kind of a deal. :toast

Chieflion
06-30-2009, 05:07 AM
Yeah right. The guy has got so much talent its unfair, great defender, complete all round game, and he is 23 or something like that, and you think he is getting a Luke Walton or Sasha kind of a deal. :toast
The impact of Bryant and Gasol is severely underrated here. Ariza gets his open looks, free driving lanes from the double teaming of the two leading players of the Lakers, Unless Ariza manages to find a way to improve his ball handling, he is never going to jump to the next level. Though I say that, the Lakers are probably going to overpay for him because of the James Posey effect. A critical cog in a championship team but an overpaid motherfucker on the team like the Hornets.

21_Blessings
06-30-2009, 07:04 AM
Somebody will offer Ariza 7-10 million dollars a year over 5-6 years. He has loads of potential so unless the lakers can afford that and the 10 million a year that Odom will find then you can say bye to one if not both.

1) Odom will not find 10 million a year lol. Inconsistent 30 year old, yeah, he'll put us over the top guys! Screw 2010 when you can have Lamar fucking Odom!

2) There's only about 7 teams that can offer that much money to Ariza. Most of which already have good SFs so overpaying Ariza doesn't make any sense for them. So Ariza stays in LA unless Detroit somehow magically trades Prince and offers Trevor bags of gold.

urunobili
06-30-2009, 08:04 AM
he has "Pistons" written all over his chest with 8 mill a year...

2Cleva
06-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Agent talk - pay it no mind.

The MLE isn't going to outbid LA for him.

Detroit was interested but the Ariza camp has made it clear he's going back to LA.

Laker fans - no need to worry about this one.

hater
06-30-2009, 08:52 AM

Trevor playing hardball

Vinnie_Johnson
06-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Detroit drafted 3 small forwards they are out of the mix.

manufan10
06-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Also begs the question will Ariza be better/improve outside of the Lakers system.

I think he's a product of the system. Not to diminish him in any way. I think it's more of a testament to Kobe and Gasol that he gets the types of looks he does. I think one of the two are going to be gone, but not both. Ariza will be in a Laker uniform. He's the younger out of the two, and he has the most upside. Odom will be playing somewhere else next year, IMO.

Killakobe81
06-30-2009, 09:21 AM
We shall see ...I want both but if w ehav eto choose Ariza is younger ...and we could get a vet for a year or two instead ...

Spursmania
06-30-2009, 10:37 AM
I just heard on Espn first take that it is unlikely the Lakers will resign Odom given what Odom wants. Is that true? I thought many Lakers were saying Buss would do whatever it takes to sign Odom/Ariza and that money was no object?

ulosturedge
06-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Luke Walton and Sasha got those deals because they had Ariza type seasons during their contract year. As the other poster said, Ariza is not worth more than 5mil.

Well if he's not worth more then the MLE then alot of teams should be interested in bidding on him. :blah

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-30-2009, 10:58 AM
I just heard on Espn first take that it is unlikely the Lakers will resign Odom given what Odom wants. Is that true? I thought many Lakers were saying Buss would do whatever it takes to sign Odom/Ariza and that money was no object?

I don't buy that if that's what ESPN says. Odom can demand all he wants, but there's not going to a team throwing the kitchen sink at him like he thinks there will be.

Spursmania
06-30-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't buy that if that's what ESPN says. Odom can demand all he wants, but there's not going to a team throwing the kitchen sink at him like he thinks there will be.

I also find it hard to believe LA wouldn't re-sign him. They said LA was already at 78M for 8 players, without the additional increase Kobe will most likely want. Did anyone else see it?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-30-2009, 11:11 AM
I also find it hard to believe LA wouldn't re-sign him. They said LA was already at 78M for 8 players, without the additional increase Kobe will most likely want. Did anyone else see it?

See most people are forgetting, if Kobe opts out and signs a standard, back loaded long term contract, it would actually give the Lakers cap relief in the short term. He's owed 20+ million next season, and the first year of a new contract would probably be several million less than that.

TheNextGen
06-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Ariza is a product of the system...put him anywhere else and he'll be crap.

Killakobe81
06-30-2009, 12:41 PM

IDK about crap, but his value is tied to being on a contender and having other stars to play off of. Ariza would be great on any team that doesnt NEED his scoring but can allow him to hit shots off of the double and triple teams created by those stars ...I think the only other great fit would be to pair him with Duncan/Parker (but you guys went with RJ instead) if he plays with Pistons or another team like that his inconsistent jumper will br more glaring ...remember in the regular season he shot no where near his playoff numbers ...
I think best case scenario is Lakers ask Kobe to opt out... back load his deal ...Give LO a shorter one with fair value (slightly less then he makes now even year distribution since he will take a cut) and Backload Ariza's based on his potential ...I dont want to lose them but if either tries to get crazy then screw 'em we sign a vet ...shed some contracts next offseason and reload ...

But Kobe should opt out we need the space regardless ...

Overpaying got us a title but in bad cap management I dont think we should make the same mistake we did with Sasha amd Luke

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-30-2009, 12:47 PM

Not really. He's a good role player that does his job and worked extremely hard to improve his game once he got to LA. If I were a Laker fan he'd be my favorite player.

TheNextGen
06-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Not really. He's a good role player that does his job and worked extremely hard to improve his game once he got to LA. If I were a Laker fan he'd be my favorite player.

When ariza was a slasher before his injury. He didnt produce as much. Yes, he was a good off the ball defender, but that was it. When he developed a jumpshot, thats when things started turning for him.

The triangle is really good for those who can a hit a jumper and can slash. Two things that he finally developed. If he didnt get that jumper, he wouldnt get the touches and Lakers fans will just hope for that "posterization" he always did before. He is not the best ball handler either.

Im not saying he sux..i guess "crap" was too harsh. Im just saying that the triangle offense really makes him look good.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
06-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Im not saying he sux..i guess "crap" was too harsh. Im just saying that the triangle offense really makes him look good.

Agreed.

2Cleva
06-30-2009, 01:35 PM
The Lakers can offer him as much as they want, but as said in the article, they have around 75 million on the books next season. Ariza+Odom might equal another 10 to 15 million then the Lakers will have near impossible chances to trade with other teams or sign future free agents.

What need to trade with other teams or sign FAs when you're loaded?

That said, they'd still have Morrison's 5+ mil ending K to get something done if need be.

06-30-2009, 02:44 PM
people here are underrating the value of odom. put next to a capable low post scorer and odom becomes and rebounding machine that can score when he has to. he went crazy in 2008 when the lakers stole gasol. he's obviously not first or second option material but is a great third or fourth option. his mobility and versatility allows him to guard and take advantage of most power forwards. he's in his prime, just gained championship experience, and has one more good, long contract left in him. some team will offer him $8 million at least.

xtremesteven33
06-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Odom > Ariza

I dont even have to think about it....

With Ariza the Lakers become more one dimensional....Odom was custom made for the triangle offense.

Culburn369
06-30-2009, 04:53 PM
At least ESPN can go about their business again. Christ, two weeks of good Lakers news was about to drive them out of their minds. That and the Kahn guy taking that Rubio fellow. Sure, they need a Laker to shit where he eats, but, until then this will just have to do. And it sures as Hell beats only the one charter going back to California.

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Wait..you're accusing ESPN of HATING on the Lakers?..

mystargtr34
06-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Im not sure why Kobe and the Lakers didnt come to an agreement for him to opt out, and restructure the deal - similar to what Timmy did. He wouldnt even stand to lose that much, they would just have to back load.

mystargtr34
06-30-2009, 07:44 PM
See most people are forgetting, if Kobe opts out and signs a standard, back loaded long term contract, it would actually give the Lakers cap relief in the short term. He's owed 20+ million next season, and the first year of a new contract would probably be several million less than that.