PDA

View Full Version : Bass sees possible starting PF role with contenders

montgod
06-30-2009, 08:23 AM
As free agent period begins, Kidd, Bass are front, center | Mavericks/NBA | Star-Telegram.com

As free agent period begins, Kidd, Bass are front, center

By EDDIE SEFKO
Special to the Star-Telegram

The agent for Brandon Bass, left, says the Mavericks’ backup power forward isn’t looking for a team where he could start, but there are good teams that could be looking for a starter at his position. SPECIAL TO S-T
The Mavericks’ first order of business will be to take care of their own when the free-agency period opens at 11 p.m. today.

Jason Kidd’s status isn’t the only one that could get sticky.
Brandon Bass, who blossomed into a capable backup power forward and center last season, will draw attention from several teams, his agent said Monday.

While Bass falls into the second tier of free agents, losing him would force the Mavericks to rely more heavily on James Singleton — also an unrestricted free agent — and perhaps pursue a big man on the open market or through a trade.

"Brandon likes Dallas and appreciates the Mavericks," agent Tony Dutt said.
"He will certainly look at that, but he will look at other options, too. I’m pretty comfortable in saying he’s going to get a ton of interest."
Bass will be seeking the mid-level exception.
Because he has been with the Mavericks for two seasons, they can offer him any annual salary up to the exception without using their exception.

It is believed the Mavericks will hold their mid-level exception to try and lure a quality free-agent scorer such as Rasheed Wallace.

The mid-level is expected to be between $5 million and $5.5 million.

Bass is not necessarily looking to land with a team where he would start, Dutt said.
But it could be a consideration, given that quality teams such as Orlando and San Antonio could be in the market for a starting power forward.

The Mavericks will be walking a fine line. Assuming they give Bass a multiyear deal, whatever the Mavs pay him would eat into their available funds for the fertile free-agent class of 2010.

Meanwhile, Kidd’s situation will be on the front burner from the start. He is expected to receive attention from several contenders, as well as the New York Knicks, who are trying to acquire assets that could be enticing to Cleveland’s LeBron James in 2010. A high-level point guard such as Kidd would fit that description.

The Mavericks have said they will do whatever they can to re-sign Kidd.

ElNono
06-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Bass would be option number 8th or so... his defense is simply non-existent.

bigfan
06-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Bass is ok but not that good, I live in Dallas and see all the games on the tube, Bass can play but he isnt a very tall guy and frankly our new Beast is the same guy but better.

SenorSpur
06-30-2009, 09:51 AM
He's aggressive as hell on offense. A surprisingly, terrific midrange shooter. Really gets to the rim and JAMS EVERYTHING!

Yet, he does have his warts. He's not a good passer and is a black hole when he gets the ball. If folks think Gooden is a black hole, this guy is far worse. Also, he doesn't rebound well and is a terrible defender.

Spurs Brazil
06-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Bass will be seeking the mid-level exception.

No way, that's too much for him

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2009, 10:12 AM

Another reason he won't end up in SA. But wise on Dutt's part to drop the Spurs in a quote. Cubic will open up the lace pocketbook now.

50 cent
06-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Bass is good about 10% of the time.

bigdog
06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Fuck Brandon Bass. Sure, he's a hell of a hustle player, but his defense almost doesn't exist, his rebounding isn't too great, and he does too much on offense, and when I say too much, I mean that he doesn't give up the ball. Just like SenorSpur said, if you think Gooden is a black hole, this guy is probably worse.

Solid D
06-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Brandon made under $1M last year. He should draw a nice increase but the Mavs will have to compete with MLEs and they want to re-sign Kidd. Tony Dutt is a decent enough agent with clients like Antonio Daniels, Rashard Lewis, formerly rep'ed for Nick Van Exel. He'll get Bass paid if history repeats.

D-ROB 50
06-30-2009, 11:05 AM
No way in hell is Bass is worth the MLE, he is'nt even the type of player who would thrive as a stater. Bass is a role player, and he is good at it. Having said that, had we not drafted Blair I would not mind him, but having two undersized huslte players at the 4 is not gonna be effective. In my opinion Blair has a great chance to be a very productive memeber of this team and I for one am very excited to see him in silver and black. I also believe that in his second season he will be a 15 and 10 guy, barring the dreaded injury bug.

timvp
06-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Bass turns into Karl Malone against the Spurs. The rest of the time he's pretty average.

DMX7
06-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Bass would be an ok fit but he is not worth the MLE.

Solid D
06-30-2009, 01:12 PM
Bass isn't worth a full MLE, he may be worth $12M over 3 years. Tony Dutt was able to get Antonio Daniels 5 years and $30M with the Wizards, so stuff happens.

Although Bass didn't always play well in the regular season, he was still the Mavs 5th most productive player behind Nowitzki, Terry, Howard, and Kidd. Bass was the best defender, results-wise, of that bunch although Howard would have been if not for his injuries.

I think Bass should be able to pull at least $11-12M over 3 years, if Dutt works it per usual.

lefty
06-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Bass turns into Karl Malone against the Spurs. The rest of the time he's pretty average.
So true

whottt
06-30-2009, 01:22 PM

This is because we defend him with Michael Finley.

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't want any Mavs..

Spursmania
06-30-2009, 01:42 PM
As free agent period begins, Kidd, Bass are front, center | Mavericks/NBA | Star-Telegram.com

"He will certainly look at that, but he will look at other options, too. I’m pretty comfortable in saying he’s going to get a ton of interest."

In other words, thanks Dallas, but see ya!

And you know Kidd is off to New York-book it.

Spurtacus
06-30-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't want any Mavs..