PDA

View Full Version : anyone here have a mazda 3?

stretch
06-30-2009, 09:58 AM
if so, does it seem like you notice a lot of road noise?

i have a 2006 Grand Touring Model and i have a shitload of road noise i deal with, which makes it tough to hear on the phone or listen to music. is that a problem with all mazda 3s or do i just need new tires or something? the tires seem to be in decent shape, but i dunno...

TDMVPDPOY
06-30-2009, 09:59 AM
zoom zoom zoom kickd in yo

Extra Stout
06-30-2009, 10:27 AM
if so, does it seem like you notice a lot of road noise?

i have a 2006 Grand Touring Model and i have a shitload of road noise i deal with, which makes it tough to hear on the phone or listen to music. is that a problem with all mazda 3s or do i just need new tires or something? the tires seem to be in decent shape, but i dunno...
The car is susceptible to road noise. You will have a problem if:
1) You get the cheap Korean replacement tires
2) You don't rotate the tires
3) You let your alignment get out of whack

Once you get the uneven tread wear, the car will be noisy, and you have to deal with it until you replace the tires.

stretch
06-30-2009, 10:32 AM
The car is susceptible to road noise. You will have a problem if:
1) You get the cheap Korean replacement tires
2) You don't rotate the tires
3) You let your alignment get out of whack

Once you get the uneven tread wear, the car will be noisy, and you have to deal with it until you replace the tires.

i have had the car for over a year, and havent done any of that. still has the tires they came with. i honestly havent paid attention as to whether the car noise was always bad or not. but i never noticed it until the past 4 or 5 months. so you suggest that i get new tires?

Extra Stout
06-30-2009, 10:37 AM
i have had the car for over a year, and havent done any of that. still has the tires they came with. i honestly havent paid attention as to whether the car noise was always bad or not. but i never noticed it until the past 4 or 5 months. so you suggest that i get new tires?
Do you have the 4-door or the 5-door? How many miles? What kind of tires are on it now?

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2009, 10:39 AM
try rolling up the windows

manufan10
06-30-2009, 10:41 AM

:lmao

stretch
06-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Do you have the 4-door or the 5-door? How many miles? What kind of tires are on it now?

4 door. not sure what kind of tires, but im sure that has a lot to do with it.

stretch
06-30-2009, 10:43 AM

thanks ill try that

Extra Stout
06-30-2009, 11:23 AM
The original tires were Goodyear Eagle RS-A's. When they get about 30,000 miles on them, they're done. Getting close to that mileage, they get really noisy.

I doubt a 2006 has fewer than 30,000 miles, so yours are probably some kind of replacement tires. They're probably the problem.

Get the alignment checked while you're at it, or two months after you change the tires you'll be complaining about road noise again.

I have put Avon tires on my Mazda, which did not live up to expectations, and General Exclaim UHP's, which have performed well to date. They are $96 each at Tire Rack. Unfortunately, you will not find a decent "budget" tire for a Mazda 3s. It takes only high-performance, low-profile tires.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2009, 11:31 AM
i don't think it's the tires that's the root of a problem. i would say it's the construction of the car. the cab or whatever you want to call it. i've been in cars where my ears pop when you close the door. i have an integra and i have the same problem. you could get $400 tires and i believe you'd still get road noise.

Extra Stout
06-30-2009, 11:35 AM
i don't think it's the tires that's the root of a problem. i would say it's the construction of the car. the cab or whatever you want to call it. i've been in cars where my ears pop when you close the door. i have an integra and i have the same problem. you could get $400 tires and i believe you'd still get road noise.
Well, yeah, a 3 is never going to be quiet like a Toyota. The extra noise is part of the tradeoff for getting a car that is relatively fun to drive. But the tires can make the difference between "this car has some road noise" and "I can't even hear myself think this thing is so loud."

CosmicCowboy
06-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Instead of buying new tires you can get the ones you have "trued"...basically they shave them to be perfectly round and balance them. Southwest Brake and Alignment does it.

It can make a huge difference.

stretch
06-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Instead of buying new tires you can get the ones you have "trued"...basically they shave them to be perfectly round and balance them. Southwest Brake and Alignment does it.

do most places that specialize in tires offer this? like Sams or Discount Tire Co?

CosmicCowboy
06-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Nope. They want to sell you new tires. Call Southwest...it will probably cost you about $70 for your car...

CosmicCowboy
06-30-2009, 12:10 PM
This link explains how it works. I've had it done on trucks.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_0210_4x4_truck_tire_truing_balancing_shaving/index.html

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2009, 12:16 PM

is this Siping like discount tire offers?

stretch
06-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Nope. They want to sell you new tires. Call Southwest...it will probably cost you about $70 for your car...

Are they in Dallas?

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Are they in Dallas?
Southwest Brake and Alignment

CosmicCowboy
06-30-2009, 12:19 PM
is this Siping like discount tire offers?

Nope. siping is making a bunch of lateral cuts on the tires surface to improve braking in wet weather.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2009, 12:20 PM
Nope. siping is making a bunch of lateral cuts on the tires surface to improve braking in wet weather.
i see

CosmicCowboy
06-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Are they in Dallas?

Nope, but I googled "shave tires Dallas" and found this on a Mercedes message board...

Ahhhh. Very nice. I had my Michelins shaved this morning to make them round and smooth once more. On my SL, the tires cannot be rotated so they develop an extremely noisy characteristic even though there is plenty of meat left in the tread. In Dallas, Texas, there is a tire store in the n.e. corner of Harry Hines and Royal Lane called "Hayes Tire." Owner is Kevin. He is the only guy in Dallas I know who can shave tires. It is a lost art! He charged me $25/tire for shaving and balancing. The improvement was immediately noticable as I pulled away from the shop. My tires no longer felt like they had a mud-tire tread. And at 75 mph, they were quite and smooth.
If you're tires have become noisy and there is plenty of meat on them, find a guy who can shave them and you'll be very pleased. If you're not sure if there is someone in your city, seek out a vintage car racer, a british car club (wire wheels are notoriously out of round so they shave a tire to be round on an non round wire wheel), or call older tire stores.

If you go see Kevin at Hayes Tire, call in advance and plan to arrive some morning around 7:30. It takes a little over an hour. THeir number is 972.247.6195.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Nope, but I googled "shave tires Dallas" and found this on a Mercedes message board...

Ahhhh. Very nice. I had my Michelins shaved this morning to make them round and smooth once more. On my SL, the tires cannot be rotated so they develop an extremely noisy characteristic even though there is plenty of meat left in the tread. In Dallas, Texas, there is a tire store in the n.e. corner of Harry Hines and Royal Lane called "Hayes Tire." Owner is Kevin. He is the only guy in Dallas I know who can shave tires. It is a lost art! He charged me $25/tire for shaving and balancing. The improvement was immediately noticable as I pulled away from the shop. My tires no longer felt like they had a mud-tire tread. And at 75 mph, they were quite and smooth.
If you're tires have become noisy and there is plenty of meat on them, find a guy who can shave them and you'll be very pleased. If you're not sure if there is someone in your city, seek out a vintage car racer, a british car club (wire wheels are notoriously out of round so they shave a tire to be round on an non round wire wheel), or call older tire stores.

If you go see Kevin at Hayes Tire, call in advance and plan to arrive some morning around 7:30. It takes a little over an hour. THeir number is 972.247.6195.

that's good to know. there are lots of hidden treasures on harry hines.

stretch
06-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Southwest Brake and Alignment

Nope

lol, viva fail

stretch
06-30-2009, 12:33 PM

very nice. yeah mine arent really all that worn down either, so i think this would be perfect. plus should save me some $$$

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2009, 12:35 PM
lol, viva fail
i see you failed geography.

stretch
06-30-2009, 12:36 PM
i see you failed geography.

if you wanna get technical, texas is more south central than it is south west. and dallas is more in the north eastern part of texas.

lol geography

ATRAIN
06-30-2009, 12:42 PM
I hope your Mazda breaks down on you and your broke ass will have to walk to work.

stretch
06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
mma motherfuckers! go men go!

stretch
06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
lol astros

ATRAIN
06-30-2009, 12:51 PM
I love cock and love to suck off dirk. My gf is a whore and I am a non educated loser

stretch
06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
yeah, mma is pretty gay, i admit. may i still lick your balls?

ATRAIN
06-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Im surprised I dont like MMA since I like to get tea bagged and love to get ass rammed

stretch
06-30-2009, 12:56 PM
i like ramming ass and drinking man milk to simmer down from all the testosterone in the air

ATRAIN
06-30-2009, 12:58 PM
my gf is almost as big of a whore as my mom is but it doesnt matter cause im a fag like my dad.

stretch
06-30-2009, 01:00 PM
anyone know of some cheaper alternatives to dynamat?

CosmicCowboy
06-30-2009, 01:08 PM
anyone know of some cheaper alternatives to dynamat?

Carpet padding and N77 spray glue.