PDA

View Full Version : Spurs injury risk make less attractive to Dice/sheed?

spursfaninla
06-30-2009, 11:17 AM
I was just thinking about the very rational justification for why we would be an enticing destination for the two most talented bigmen in free agency: that we have won rings before, that we just loaded up with RJ, they could clearly play a significant role on our team.

Most importantly, that we are a top-tier team, capable of winning (with their help) would be the lynch-pin.

But, considering the health issues of two of the big three, do either of these players risk being condemned to a playoff series like last year, when they might have Orlando as a destination? If Cleveland is also in contention, I would go with them as the less risky alternative as well.

I have not really seen anyone here consider this potential factor in why they might or might not decide to come here. I am still hopeful, but I just realized if it comes down to a contender like Orlando and Cleveland, and a contender like us, I think they would choose the less health-risky team.

Marcus Bryant
06-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Vince Carter's vagina disagrees.

spursfan09
06-30-2009, 11:23 AM
If you're factoring in the injury proneness of anyone.... well there's a reason Carter's nicknamed "Half man, Half a season"

montgod
06-30-2009, 11:29 AM
see below...

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-30-2009, 11:33 AM
I think it cuts both ways to a certain extent. A guy who might look at the Spurs as a short stop could see it as the best of both worlds. They get a spot on a championship caliber team and they will undoubtedly have an opportunity to shine in bigger roles at times. Obviously if Manu and Tim get hurt they team is in the toilet, but it's a no brainer that there will be nights where Pop will limit their minutes or shelf them on the second night of B2B. Guys will get chances to show their stuff in those situatioins.

Injury concerns are part of the decision making, but the Spurs show some balance and depth that can allow them to temper those risks over the course of the season. A FA could just as easily look at one man shows like Cleveland or Orlando and see the dangers in going somewhere built around a superstar who needs to be out there 35+ minutes every night in order for their team to be competitive.

spursfaninla
06-30-2009, 11:33 AM
I see that Shaq and vince are injury risks. I don't think that Nelson is though. I hope you are right, these moves make it a wash, so we should have an equal chance then.

montgod
06-30-2009, 11:35 AM
I was just thinking about the very rational justification for why we would be an enticing destination for the two most talented bigmen in free agency: that we have won rings before, that we just loaded up with RJ, they could clearly play a significant role on our team.

Most importantly, that we are a top-tier team, capable of winning (with their help) would be the lynch-pin.

But, considering the health issues of two of the big three, do either of these players risk being condemned to a playoff series like last year, when they might have Orlando as a destination? If Cleveland is also in contention, I would go with them as the less risky alternative as well.

I have not really seen anyone here consider this potential factor in why they might or might not decide to come here. I am still hopeful, but I just realized if it comes down to a contender like Orlando and Cleveland, and a contender like us, I think they would choose the less health-risky team.

I don't know about that line of thinking. Let's review the other teams in question:

Cleveland:
Injury risks: Shaq and Z.
Offsetting or other factors: Coach is questionable, Dice/Sheed could fill in for a Shaq or Z injury.

Cleveland looks decent, but bench is also thin. Would Sheed respect Brown as a coach or be open to being a bench player if Anderson V. is re-signed?

Orlando:
Injury risks: J. Nelson and V. Carter
Offsetting or other factors: Coach is questionable, Dice/Sheed can't make up for the loss of J. Nelson, will V Carter mesh well with team concept.

Orlando looks good but has other question marks especially with their bench. Again, would Sheed respect SVG enough to listen and play for him when times get tough?

Boston (not mentioned, but an option):
Injury risks: Garnet, Allen, Poe, and Perkins
Offsetting and other factors: Good coach, Dice/Sheed could make up for Garnet or Perkins loss, but not both at the same time, decent bench but needs to resign Big Baby.

Boston could make a serious run with Sheed/Dice, but want either to ride the bench if signed on. Sheed doesn't ride the bench and wouldn't have that.

San Antonio:
Injury risks: Duncan and Ginobli
Offsetting factor: Best coach, Dice/Sheed can fill in for a Duncan injury, 2 other players to pick up the slack (Parker and RJ), along with key role players like Mason.

San Antonio can finally give Duncan and Ginobli some rest during the year with Blair, Ian, Dice/Sheed (if they sign on), Mason, Hill, etc. for them to be able to last the whole year. If any injuries occur, SA looks like the best option to make up for those injuries and continue with a title hunt especially if Sheed/Dice sign on.

tmtcsc
06-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Ok, I guess I'm in the minority here but my memory isn't as short as some. 2 years ago, Manu was having the best statistical season of his NBA career. He had just gone through one of the greatest 7 game scoring stretches in Spurs history. Unfortunately, as we all know, he hurt his ankle and struggled through the playoffs.

Last year, after his ankle had healed, he suffered another set back in his other foot and then his leg. To me, this was a coincidence. This wasn't a guy that had just become injury prone all of the sudden. Not like a Yao Ming or a Sam Bowie or a Grant Hill. Injuries happen.

If you recall, he had hurt his ankle in the summer World games right before he joined the Spurs. What I am trying to say is that sh*t happens sometimes. 3 injuries over the course of 6 years isn't that bad. I have a feeling he will be back better than ever.

I DO NOT consider Manu an injury risk. Tim, on the other hand has wear and tear issues. Tendonosis tends to be chronic. I'm more worried about him. I just hope he gets the best medical treatment available and can give us 3 more years.