PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy an Iphone 3GS at a non-contract price?

lefty
06-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Because ....700$...... Yikes :king

Because I'll have to wait until may 2010 to be able to renew my contract with Fido, who carries the Iphone here in Freezyland.

Or should I buy the cheaper Ipod Touch and wait until next year and subscribe to a contract for an improved Iphone ?

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2009, 02:31 PM
i'd go the itouch route. that's what i was going to do, but it just so happened that i was no longer under contract with tmoblie. i hope at&t is a smooth transition for me.

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2009, 02:31 PM
oops

lefty
06-30-2009, 02:34 PM
i'd go the itouch route. that's what i was going to do, but it just so happened that i was no longer under contract with tmoblie. i hope at&t is a smooth transition for me.

Yeah, seems to be what most people who are under contract do.

It's a good thing your contract with Tmobile expired

oops

What ? :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
06-30-2009, 03:04 PM
It's a good thing your contract with Tmobile expired

did you have a experience with tmobile? i had no problem with them. i actually feel bad leaving them, but hey......they don't have the iphone. that's why i hope the quality of service isn't compromised.

What ? :lol
it was a double post

lefty
06-30-2009, 03:14 PM
did you have a experience with tmobile? i had no problem with them. i actually feel bad leaving them, but hey......they don't have the iphone. that's why i hope the quality of service isn't compromised.

it was a double post

Ah ok

No, we don't have T-Mobile here in Canada.

I'm currently on a freakishly long contract with Fido who happens to be one of the two Iphone porviders here.

PM5K
06-30-2009, 05:18 PM
What do you have now?

lefty
06-30-2009, 05:24 PM
What do you have now?
A middle of the road Sony-Ericsonn :D

PM5K
06-30-2009, 06:57 PM
I really wouldn't, that's way too much. Get yourself an iPhone 3G, the prices have dropped drastically on them since the 3GS came out.

lefty
06-30-2009, 07:20 PM
I really wouldn't, that's way too much. Get yourself an iPhone 3G, the prices have dropped drastically on them since the 3GS came out.

I don't know about the U.S , but here in Canada there isn't much of a price difference between the 3G and the 3GS :td

PM5K
06-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah the prices aren't quite as low but an 8GB goes for 350 and a 16GB goes for 450, here where I live a 16GB goes for 350, either way it's a lot less than 700

lefty
06-30-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah the prices aren't quite as low but an 8GB goes for 350 and a 16GB goes for 450, here where I live a 16GB goes for 350, either way it's a lot less than 700
Here the 3G 8 gig is 600$

The 3GS 16 gig is 700 $

:downspin:

PM5K
06-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Here the 3G 8 gig is 600$

The 3GS 16 gig is 700 $

:downspin:

Don't be an idiot, buy one off Craigslist.

lefty
06-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Don't be an idiot, buy one off Craigslist.
Unlocked ?

Yeah, I should do that, although I'm wondering if Craiglist is reliable

Edit: just checked Craiglist Montreal, same prices :lol

This offer looks great, but a bit suspect though:
32GB iPhone 3GS - NEW and UNLOCKED! - $500

And that one is funny:Hi I am selling my Black 16GB iphone in the advent of the new 3GS. It is quite badly damaged (Cracked screen, headset speaker does not work and power button is broken) despite all this the device still seems to function fine. The cracked screen works as the cracks are just in the glass, the headset speaker caan be bypassed by talking on speakerphone or on headphones, ad the power butto really isnt nessicary as one can turn on the phone by plugging it into a computer. I am willing to sell this iphone for 250-300$, let me know if you are interested it is a rogers locked iphone that will work with rogers SIM cards. :lmao

PM5K
07-01-2009, 12:23 AM
Crazy Canadians.

And yes they are the same prices, I had already looked.

lefty
07-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Crazy Canadians.

And yes they are the same prices, I had already looked.
lol, poor me

lefty
07-04-2009, 04:45 PM
So, does that look suspect to you guys ?

Oh, and also, I saw this one:
Iphone 3G (16gig), 399 $I am selling my 16gb white iphone it works perfectly and i have had no complaints. the reason i am selling it is that i already purchased a 3GS this is a great price so act quick!

The iphone comes with headphones and charger and is in good physical condition

So, waddayathink?

resistanze
07-04-2009, 05:06 PM
So, does that look suspect to you guys ?

Oh, and also, I saw this one:
Iphone 3G (16gig), 399 $I am selling my 16gb white iphone it works perfectly and i have had no complaints. the reason i am selling it is that i already purchased a 3GS this is a great price so act quick!

The iphone comes with headphones and charger and is in good physical condition

So, waddayathink?

First one sounds like a guy is waiting for you in an alley to beat you down for $500.

The second ad is much more believable.

lefty
07-04-2009, 05:26 PM
First one sounds like a guy is waiting for you in an alley to beat you down for $500.

The second ad is much more believable.
That's what I thought :lol

Yeah the 2nd looks legit

Heath Ledger
07-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Buy an Ipod touch, put skype on it and now you have an Iphone that works only on Wifi, the new Itouches are also going to have the camcorder/camera on them.

Cry Havoc
07-07-2009, 09:29 AM
I've owned both an iPhone and an iTouch.

There is no comparison. The iTouch is a cool little gadget. The iPhone is a world-changing device in terms of ease of use, connectivity, wow-factor... it just does everything remarkably well.

The iPhone blows the iTouch away so completely I wouldn't even consider owning one for a second. That said, the former is MUCH more expensive, but if you value having your internet with you everywhere you go, there's really no substitute.

lefty
07-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Buy an Ipod touch, put skype on it and now you have an Iphone that works only on Wifi, the new Itouches are also going to have the camcorder/camera on them.

When is the new Itouch released?

I've owned both an iPhone and an iTouch.

There is no comparison. The iTouch is a cool little gadget. The iPhone is a world-changing device in terms of ease of use, connectivity, wow-factor... it just does everything remarkably well.

The iPhone blows the iTouch away so completely I wouldn't even consider owning one for a second. That said, the former is MUCH more expensive, but if you value having your internet with you everywhere you go, there's really no substitute.

Thanks for making this more difficult :D

Yeah, the Iphone is better, I tend to agree

I could spend 700$ on the non-contract 3GS, I have the money, but it's still expensive IMO.

I'll be eligible to a contract renewal in April 2010, so I think it's best to wait for the next Iphone (that will have a front camera for video calls).

Cry Havoc
07-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I'd wait. The iPhone is great, but it won't really change your life. It basically allows you to be more addicted to the internet.

lefty
07-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I'd wait. The iPhone is great, but it won't really change your life. It basically allows you to be more addicted to the internet.
That's what I'm gonna do.

Thanks

arial
07-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm with TMobile so I still have a 2G iPhone the 3G frequencies are different on TMobile than AT&T so getting a 3G/3GS would be kind of useless as I still would only be able to use EDGE. However the 3GS is what the 3G should have been. If I were to switch carriers I would probably get a 3GS but not at the $600 price tag. I was lucky and got my iPhone in mint condition off Craigslist for $150. Plus unlocking/jailbreaking is easier with the 2G :)

Heath Ledger
07-10-2009, 10:35 PM
i had an itouch but it was before there was jailbreak software, i won it in some online contest and sold it for $200 but from what ive read when the touch is jailbroken its quite a bit more fun and having wifi and skype on it makes it a cheap alternative to a home phone.

ElNono
07-10-2009, 10:39 PM
I have a iTouch 1st gen and a 3G iphone. They're different things altogether. I do use the touch more at home with wifi. It's a slimmer unit, and more comfortable in the hand.
I do, however, love the iphone when I'm on the road. Especially when you're waiting for somebody or have some time to waste. Fire up Safari and off you go.