PDA

View Full Version : It ain't over until it over, act III, and inquiry

Rummpd
04-03-2005, 09:53 PM
Right now Suns are apparently going to hold a 2 game lead and most will say settle for the #2 seed blah, blah, blah. Number two is not bad and could set up an easier first round etc.

As such, hats off to the Suns who have surprised me for their sustained regular season excellence, and for that matter I am very proud of the gritty Spurs winning for 4/5 of to stay close.

Nevertheless, I say do not give up for 1 seed! Nash could go down again or some other unusual occurance could occur = plus the Suns have had more trouble at home than on the road sometimes this year for some strange reason. I remember Spurs years they were 2-3 back with 10 to go and they eaked it out.

Moreover, Spurs right on task to beat out Miami for 2nd best overall record. That could be the huge one down the road.

By the way, if Spurs finish tied with Heat 2nd best overall - what is tiebreaker if they meet as the series was 1-1?

Jimcs50
04-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Moreover, Spurs right on task to beat out Miami for 2nd best overall record. That could be the huge one down the road.

By the way, if Spurs finish tied with Heat 2nd best overall - what is tiebreaker if they meet as the series was 1-1?

Spurs won tie breaker with Heat.

Spurs have better record against East than Heat has against West.

Rummpd
04-03-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks!

Jimcs50
04-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks!

de nada

Rummpd
04-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks,

By the way am I only one not overly impressed by Eva in your avitar? Not exactly a "jersey filler" and if she tried out probably would not make most NBA cheering squads. She is petite granted and has a pretty face; but all in all she walked by me on the street, would not be the type to get the "second look" treatment.

Kori Ellis
04-03-2005, 10:37 PM
Spurs won tie breaker with Heat.

Spurs have better record against East than Heat has against West.

Is that correct?

I thought the tie-breaker was "Higher winning percentage in conference games." And in that case, the Heat have better record against East than Spurs have against West.

pigknuckles
04-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Spurs have 3 back to backs coming up (6gms in 8dys). I think pop will be watching minutes closely and rightfully so. No need to burn anyone out this close to playoffs.
However, I think timmy is going to come back before season end to get in sync with team. So that should be a big help to tony and manu.

SirChaz
04-04-2005, 12:19 AM
Is that correct?

I thought the tie-breaker was "Higher winning percentage in conference games." And in that case, the Heat have better record against East than Spurs have against West.

I am pretty sure Jimcs50 is right, it is against the other teams conference in the case of tiebreaker between East/West teams.

I remember this came up before the last Suns-Heat game and it was reported that Phoenix has the tiebreaker because of their record against the eastern conference.

Kori Ellis
04-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Well here's the rules.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/tickets/playoff_info_2005.html

And it says "Higher winning percentage in conference games."

I assume it would "opposite conference" if that's what they meant. But maybe I'm wrong.

LakerGod
04-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Right now Suns are apparently going to hold a 2 game lead and most will say settle for the #2 seed blah, blah, blah. Number two is not bad and could set up an easier first round etc.

As such, hats off to the Suns who have surprised me for their sustained regular season excellence, and for that matter I am very proud of the gritty Spurs winning for 4/5 of to stay close.

Nevertheless, I say do not give up for 1 seed! Nash could go down again or some other unusual occurance could occur = plus the Suns have had more trouble at home than on the road sometimes this year for some strange reason. I remember Spurs years they were 2-3 back with 10 to go and they eaked it out.

How can you even dare to say that a 2-7 matchup will be easy for the spursies?

Didn't you even watch the game between the Nuggets and Spurs?

The spurs were completely demolished!

Even the Grizzlies give the spursies matchup problems ((currently 0-2)

Good luck! you will need it!

xcoriate
04-04-2005, 01:20 AM
And I also wish you luck so that the lottery balls fall your way :)

LakerGod
04-04-2005, 05:27 AM
And I also wish you luck so that the lottery balls fall your way :)Cheap response, since my Lakers are likely done for the season, let's talk now about the spurs chances to even making it past the first round, would you?

LakerGod
04-04-2005, 05:29 AM
BTW the spurs know the feeling of being in the lottery...

Tanking a whole season to get TD rings a bell?

Rummpd
04-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Mr. LakerGod

Enjoy the fishing! Keep up the predictions!

kskonn
04-04-2005, 08:02 AM
Well here's the rules.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/tickets/playoff_info_2005.html

And it says "Higher winning percentage in conference games."

I assume it would "opposite conference" if that's what they meant. But maybe I'm wrong.

Weird. I see your point with the rules. Hoever, I also remember all the announcers talking about the tie breaker being how the teams performed in the other conference. I will have to go with the printed rules on this one.

Jimcs50
04-04-2005, 08:04 AM
Kori, I remember reading about how the Spurs had the tiebreak against Miami because of their better record against the East teams compared to Miami's against West teams.

Now this makes perfect sense, because it really shows which team is the better team.

If it were measured against your wins in your own conference, then it would favor the team in the weaker conference anyway, so it proves nothing and shows no reason why the weaker conference team should get HCA against the stronger team in the stonger conference.

Had Miami won more games against the very teams that SA played all year in the West, then they would be deserving of HCA in Finals.

I am pretty sure that the opposite conf record is the correct and right way to go.

Dex
04-04-2005, 08:05 AM
BTW the spurs know the feeling of being in the lottery...

Tanking a whole season to get TD rings a bell?

At least we've got him, and you're stuck with just Kobe Bryant.

And apparently, our team is still better than yours, even WITHOUT our superstar.

NZHayden
04-04-2005, 08:07 AM
i dont care who we play in the playoffs just win the damn championship!
easier said than done though aye?

spurster
04-04-2005, 08:21 AM
I'm worried a little more about keeping the #2 seed than trying to catch the Suns. However, last night's Mavs loss put the magic number at 4 or 5 depending on the tiebreaker with the Mavs. Also the Sonics lost so that magic number is 5 or 6. Staying in position looks pretty good with 9 games to go.

Does someone know more about the tiebreakers with these teams?

Rummpd
04-04-2005, 09:20 AM
We have the tiebreaker nailed vs. Dallas and tied the series vs. Sonics by winning the last two. I believe we will hold onto the conference tie breakers vs. Sonics as well.

FromWayDowntown
04-04-2005, 10:31 AM
Here's the skinny, as I know it.

Spurs magic number to win the southwest is now 4.

Spurs magic number to have home court over Seattle is now 6 (it is possible, I figure, that the Spurs could fall to 4. If the Spurs lose 6 or more of their last 9 and the Mavs win out, the Mavs would still win the division -- it's not likely, but it's possible. In the same stretch, if Seattle lost 6 more times to the end of the regular season and the Spurs lost out, they'd still end up with homecourt over Seattle -- it's strange, but it's worst case, I guess.)

I checked a couple of weeks ago with Johnny Ludden, who isn't the last word on this, but who told me that the inter-conference tiebreakers are: (1) head-to-head; (2) record against opposite conference. I wrote to the NBA to try to confirm, but never heard back.

If that's true, the Spurs own the tiebreaker over Phoenix, Miami, and Dallas.

The Spurs cannot hold the tiebreaker against Seattle, because if the two teams tie, Seattle will necessarily have the better record against the West, giving the Sonics the tiebreaker (Spurs were 23-7 against the East, Sonics were 21-9).

Jimcs50
04-04-2005, 10:46 AM
Spurs are a done deal to be the 2 seed.

Rummpd
04-04-2005, 11:15 AM
It is now written in stone, thanks Nostramus Jr!

Jimcs50
04-04-2005, 11:30 AM
It is now written in stone, thanks Nostramus Jr!

Anytime I can help.

:)