PDA

View Full Version : Spurs begin free agent window shopping

Duncan2177
06-30-2009, 03:57 PM
With the 2009 NBA Draft in the books and free agency set to begin in less than 24 hours, the San Antonio Spurs are a step away from completing their transformation.
Arguably, San Antonio is set to enter the 2009-2010 season with their strongest roster since 2003.
The trade for Richard Jefferson and drafting of DeJuan Blair should add some immediate punch to a lineup expected to see the return of Manu Ginobili and unveiling of Ian Mahinmi.
While the Spurs could also use a backup point guard, the passing of project big men Josh Heytvelt and Chinemelu Elonu in the draft would suggest that San Antonio will use their mid level exception on a veteran frontcourt player.
Here’s a look at some of the top choices that will be available on Wednesday and their likelihood to wear a Spurs’ uniform for the upcoming season.

Anderson Varejao (CLE) – Player Option. At just over $6 million a season, Varejao is at the cusp of his earning potential - much more would be reaching and overpaying. The Cavaliers were smart to turn down his overtures of a long term deal at seven figures per annum. While an active, long-armed defender, his offensive game is lacking. Expect Varejao to play out the season alongside Lebron and Shaq and try to parlay that into better numbers and a sweeter deal next summer. Spurs: Possible. Not likely.

Brandon Bass (DAL) – Unrestricted. Strong, athletic and young. Bass is a bit undersized for a power forward but his skill set is not far from Millsap and could come at 1/3 of the cost or less. San Antonio got quite a few looks with Bass playing in Dallas the last two years. They should be well aware of his talent and athleticism. Spurs: Very Possible if the Spurs want to add a reasonably priced, high energy, strong but undersized athlete at the four spot.

Carlos Boozer (UTA) – Early Termination Option. At 27, Boozer can opt out of his final year and over $12.5 million. If he does, he’ll be doing it for a long term contract. Spurs: No shot.

Channing Frye (POR) – Unrestricted. The Trail Blazers decided not to make the $4.6 million qualifying offer to the 4-year veteran. Only 26, Frye is long and athletic. After averaging about 12 points and 6 rebounds in 24 minutes per game as a rookie, Frye’s numbers dropped dramatically when New York traded him after just two seasons. In Portland, Frye didn’t get many minutes posting under 12 a game last year as the Blazers worked in Greg Oden, Joel Pryzbilla and LaMarcus Aldridge. At 6-11, Frye could be a great value signing. Spurs: Possible if he is on their radar.

Charlie Villanueva (MIL) – Unrestricted. The Bucks declined to tender the once restricted free agent an offer, making him readily available. Reports have Cleveland high on his list but the 25-year-old power forward should command between $5-7 million on the open market. Don’t be surprised if he just goes to the highest bidder. Spurs: Possible. Not likely.

Chris Andersen (DEN) – Unrestricted. Nuggets’ fans have embraced Andersen’s high-flying act and energy. Plus, Denver believed in him despite returning after a 2-year substance abuse suspension from the league. While he could command upwards of $6-8 million on the open market, both parties should want to stay together. Spurs: No shot.

David Lee (NY) – Restricted. San Antonio passed on Lee coming out of Florida, instead opting for Ian Mahinmi. The 26-year-old power forward led the league with 65 double-doubles. Yes, the same league with Dwight Howard and Tim Duncan. With New York eyeing 2010 and Lebron James, the Knicks will may be more fiscally prudent than in recent years. Still, Lee is in a position to earn more than the mid level. Spurs: Not likely.

Drew Gooden (SAS) – Unrestricted. He’s looking for a home and last season Gooden called Chicago, Sacramento and San Antonio home for at least one game. He’s only 28 and will put up 12 points and 8 rebounds a night if you give him 30 minutes. He can score and rebound but he’s not a particularly special defensive player, which the Spurs might prefer. Gooden won’t attract big offers on the free agent market and should jump at the chance to get a solid multi-year deal and an opportunity to play 20-25 minutes a game. Spurs: Possible if the Spurs cannot can’t find a better option and don’t wait too long.

Glen Davis (BOS) – Restricted. San Antonio took Marcus Williams ahead of Big Baby in 2007. The former SEC Player of the Year, Davis, stepped up big when Boston lost Kevin Garnett. Davis showed the same active motor he displayed at LSU but the 6-7, 289 pounder has quickly turned himself into an all around player in just two seasons. Expect Boston to match any reasonable offer for the 23-year-old as the Celtics may be penciling him in with a core of Paul Pierce and Garnett. He’s better than Brandon Bass offensively but not near as explosive. He also won’t come as cheaply. Spurs: Not likely.

Lamar Odom (LAL) – Unrestricted. Does anyone think he’s really going to leave LA? Does anyone think he can be signed for $5 million? Spurs: No shot.

Linas Kleiza (DEN) – Unrestricted. After spending his first four seasons in Denver, the 24-year-old power forward could get a long term deal. The former Missouri product has been a steady contributor off the Nuggets’ bench each of the last three seasons. A strong, tough athlete, Kleiza can shoot threes and mix it up inside. Spurs: Possible if the numbers fit and they can’t get someone higher on their list.

Marcin Gortat (ORL) – Restricted. If Orlando does not resign Hedo Turkoglu, Gortat could stay with the Magic. After a solid season and playoff performance, the 25-year-old Polish Hammer is seeking more playing time than he’ll get with Dwight Howard in front of him. He’s also seeking more than the $1 million he’s set to earn behind him. Gortat showed good feet and lateral quickness for a big man and could stand nicely next to Duncan for the right price. The downside? It has to be more than Orlando is willing to match. Spurs: Possible. Not likely.

Mehmet Okur (UTA) – Early Termination Option. At $9 million and 30 years of age, Okur will likely stay a member of the Jazz. Unless he sees a long term suitor out there, it would be hard to hand over $9 million guaranteed unless you could lock up $30 for the next 5 seasons. For San Antonio, he doesn’t provide the defensive edge or athleticism necessary to compliment Duncan. Spurs: Not likely.

Paul Millsap (UTA) – Restricted. The Jazz will likely match any offer and that offer may be near the $10 million range for the 24-year-old power forward. Spurs: No shot.

Rasheed Wallace (DET) – Unrestricted. He’ll be 35 when the season begins but he did make an All-Star team just a season ago. A motivated Wallace would give any contender a presence and a boost to their frontcourt. Some may wonder if he has anything left. He does, but it has to be in the right situation. Spurs: Possible if the Spurs front office thinks he can fit, if Wallace has any desire to win a second ring and if no other team decides they should overpay for his services.

Shawn Marion (TOR) – Unrestricted. The 4-time All-Star is at that age, 31, where winning might be foremost on his mind. He’s made money in this league, lots of it. But he’s never won a title and he is also coming off time in Toronto, which should have him dying to be on a winner again. Can the Matrix get one more multi-year deal between $8-10 a season? If he does, that will be a pay cut. If he doesn’t, he might just be on the Spurs’ radar. Spurs: Possible. Not likely.

Zaza Pachulia (ATL) – Unrestricted. The two biggest differences between Gortat and Pachulia are quickness and experience. While they are about the same age, Pachulia is not quite the athlete that Gortat flashes. However, Pachulia has shown toughness and a much more polished offensive game. He also has enough experience that he’s proven he’s not a franchise center. And because he is a known quantity, he may come cheaper. Spurs: Possible if they’re looking for a center and Pachulia wants to play for a winner.

http://www.examiner.com/x-14479-San-Antonio-Spurs-Examiner~y2009m6d30-Spurs-begin-free-agent-window-shopping

Solid D
06-30-2009, 04:08 PM
You left out McDyess. Here is what Chartier wrote.

Antonio McDyess (DET) – Unrestricted. McDyess isn't sexy but he is steady. Antonio will be 35 when the season begins and he hasn't averaged double figures in scoring since his days in Denver. But he hasn't been overworked either. In the 2001-2002 season, McDyess ruptured his petellar tendon (knee) and spent the next 4 seasons battling surgeries, including missing the 2002-2003 season in its entirety. However, he has been healthy the past 5 years. While not the explosive player he was before the injury, McDyess is a good defensive player and can knock down mid range jumpers. Spurs: Possible if San Antonio thinks the career 67 percent free throw shooter is the best option when evaluating experience, talent and contract size, which he could be.

Duncan2177
06-30-2009, 04:13 PM
You left out McDyess. Here is what Chartier wrote.

Antonio McDyess (DET) – Unrestricted. McDyess isn't sexy but he is steady. Antonio will be 35 when the season begins and he hasn't averaged double figures in scoring since his days in Denver. But he hasn't been overworked either. In the 2001-2002 season, McDyess ruptured his petellar tendon (knee) and spent the next 4 seasons battling surgeries, including missing the 2002-2003 season in its entirety. However, he has been healthy the past 5 years. While not the explosive player he was before the injury, McDyess is a good defensive player and can knock down mid range jumpers. Spurs: Possible if San Antonio thinks the career 67 percent free throw shooter is the best option when evaluating experience, talent and contract size, which he could be.

Opps My bad :D

DAF86
06-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Why I suddenly have the feeling that we will end up with Pachulia?

DesignatedT
06-30-2009, 04:22 PM
We could hear something as soon as 11 pm tonight if we expect to sign someone correct? jw

or is it tomorrow at 11 pm?

completely deck
06-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Hm.. According to this list the most likely candidates are Brandon Bass, McDyess, Pachulia and Sheed.

Bender
06-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Duncan2177 beats duncan228...! :dizzy

bigdog
06-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Duncan2177 beats duncan228...! :dizzy

Maybe it's Duncan228's troll :hat

But in all seriousness, even though free agency starts tonight, I doubt we will hear anything about the Spurs right away, unless for some reason, San Antonio was the free agent hot-spot this offseason.

crc21209
06-30-2009, 04:42 PM

But in all seriousness, even though free agency starts tonight, I doubt we will hear anything about the Spurs right away, unless for some reason, San Antonio was the free agent hot-spot this offseason.

If Sheed really was here last week, I wouldnt be surprised to hear something as earlier as tomorrow.

BlackBellamy
06-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Channing Frye has been little discussed (from what I've seen) on this forum, anyone have a take on him? Seems like he has good size and perhaps underestimated potential from the description. I don't really watch Blazers games generally, so I have no idea.

bigdog
06-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Channing Frye has been little discussed (from what I've seen) on this forum, anyone have a take on him? Seems like he has good size and perhaps underestimated potential from the description. I don't really watch Blazers games generally, so I have no idea.

He has no interest in defense and his rebounding sucks. His basketball IQ might be lower than Francisco Elson's. No thanks.

BlackBellamy
06-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Wait, I just saw the Channing Frye free agent report. My bad.

BlackBellamy
06-30-2009, 04:47 PM
He has no interest in defense and his rebounding sucks. His basketball IQ might be lower than Francisco Elson's. No thanks.
Yikes! I shoulda' known. I mean, he WAS a Knick.

coyotes_geek
06-30-2009, 04:48 PM

I certainly wouldn't touch a penny of MLE money to get him. But if the Spurs land a legit big to put next to Tim and are feeling a little frisky about using some of their LLE on another one, I think Frye would be worth a look. He wouldn't be at the top of that list though. I'd prefer someone like Rasho first.

bigdog
06-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Yikes! I shoulda' known. I mean, he WAS a Knick.

Exactly :lol

Duncan2177
06-30-2009, 04:58 PM

Okay :rolleyes