View Full Version : McDonald: Finley stays; big, tall task left for Spurs

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 12:24 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Finley_opts_to_stay_with_Spurs.html

Finley stays; big, tall task left for Spurs

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

Web Posted: 07/01/2009 12:00 CDT

The first piece of the Spurs' free-agent puzzle fell into place just before lunchtime Tuesday. That's when Michael Finley informed the team that he didn't want to be one.

Finley, 36, eschewed a second consecutive summer of free agency, exercising a contract option to stay in San Antonio that will pay him $2.5 million next season.

If the Spurs' next offseason move is a success, Finley probably won't wind up having to play center next season.

At the stroke of midnight in New York, which signaled open season on this summer's free agents, Finley — 6-foot-7 and a swingman by trade — officially became the fourth-tallest player on the Spurs' roster.

As this summer's free agency opens, this much is clear: The Spurs plan to do most of their shopping at the big and tall store.

The trade last week that brought in Richard Jefferson from Milwaukee also sent forwards Kurt Thomas and Fabricio Oberto packing. After Drew Gooden became a free agent Tuesday night, the Spurs enter July with just three big men under contract — Tim Duncan, Matt Bonner and Ian Mahinmi.

The good news for the Spurs is that they have options for filling out their frontcourt. Enough so that they didn't hesitate to pull the trigger on the Jefferson deal.

“There are more names at (the) four that we like than there are at the three, as far as free agents go,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

On the heels of perhaps their most successful June that didn't culminate with the raising of the Larry O'Brien trophy — adding Jefferson and drafting lottery-worthy talent DeJuan Blair in the second round — the Spurs are hoping for a July-August encore.

In order to accomplish that, they will need to attract a veteran big man who could plausibly start alongside Duncan.

Some of the Spurs' first calls are likely to go to a pair of Detroit Pistons — Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess — believed to be the cream of this year's big-man crop.

Wallace, who made $13.9 million last season, would have to take a substantial pay cut to extricate himself from what is shaping up to be a messy rebuilding situation in Detroit.

McDyess, meanwhile, re-signed with the Pistons after being included in the midseason Chauncey Billups-Allen Iverson deal with Denver. He is expected to court a handful of suitors during his latest flirtation with free agency, the Spurs among them.

The Spurs have other options as well.

They might also talk about re-signing Gooden, who arrived for the April stretch run last season. They also could discuss bringing back Oberto, once Detroit waives him as expected.

One player not expected to be of much immediate help to the Spurs: Tiago Splitter.

The Spurs' first-round pick in 2007, Splitter is expected to remain in Spain for at least one more season.

“Anything can happen,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said. “But we're not planning on him this summer.”

The Spurs, who now have nine players under guaranteed contract, have at their disposal a mid-level exception due to be worth approximately $5.5 million. Majority owner Peter Holt, in keeping with his offseason mandate for the front office to be aggressive in re-tooling the team, has given Buford the green light to spend it all if need be — even with the team already blowing past the luxury tax threshold with the Jefferson deal.

“Peter and his group have given a lot to this city, and this is another example of that,” Buford said. “They've challenged us to make this thing better.”

The Spurs also have a biannual exception, expected to be worth a shade less than $1.9 million, though they have never used that financial tool before.

Given the “whatever it takes” nature of the offseason so far, it also wouldn't be surprising to see the Spurs explore trade options involving the rest of their expiring contracts — Roger Mason Jr., Bonner and now Finley.

Much of the Spurs' offseason strategy could depend on how Blair, the 6-7 former Pittsburgh All-American considered a second-round steal on draft day, fares in the Las Vegas summer league later this month.

Meanwhile, the Spurs will have decisions to make regarding their own free agents.

Along with Gooden, Ime Udoka and Jacque Vaughn also saw their contracts expire Tuesday night. As with Gooden, the Spurs will talk to Udoka about re-signing but will likely want to survey the rest of the free-agent landscape first.

The Spurs are not expected to bring back Vaughn, a 34-year-old third point guard who logged just 292 minutes in 30 games last season.

Ditty
07-01-2009, 12:27 AM
bonner and finley for battier

i was thinking about that earlier

what if houston wanted to start to rebuild because of yao and if artest walks and make room for 2010 or soemtbing

bigdog
07-01-2009, 12:28 AM
It's becoming clearer and clearer that Jeff McDonald gets half of his info from Spurstalk

AFBlue
07-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Sheed and Dice = Plan A

Plan B?????? Let's hope the Spurs don't get there.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 12:29 AM
The Spurs, who now have nine players under guaranteed contract, have at their disposal a mid-level exception due to be worth approximately $5.5 million. Majority owner Peter Holt, in keeping with his offseason mandate for the front office to be aggressive in re-tooling the team, has given Buford the green light to spend it all if need be — even with the team already blowing past the luxury tax threshold with the Jefferson deal.

“Peter and his group have given a lot to this city, and this is another example of that,” Buford said. “They've challenged us to make this thing better.”

:tu

The Spurs also have a biannual exception, expected to be worth a shade less than $1.9 million, though they have never used that financial tool before.

Is that accurate? I thought they used the LLE at some point in the last 5 years.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 12:30 AM

what if houston wanted to start to rebuild because of yao and if artest walks and make room for 2010 or soemtbing

Yeah, they owe the Spurs one.

SpursFanInAustin
07-01-2009, 12:31 AM

Is that accurate? I thought they used the LLE at some point in the last 5 years.

I thought they used it on Manu when they first brought him over in the summer of 2002.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Given the “whatever it takes” nature of the offseason so far, it also wouldn't be surprising to see the Spurs explore trade options involving the rest of their expiring contracts — Roger Mason Jr., Bonner and now Finley.

Then they should see what it takes to pull off another salary dump trade to bolster the bench, such as for a Nocioni or a Foster.

SenorSpur
07-01-2009, 12:36 AM

I like it.

Ditty
07-01-2009, 12:37 AM
I like it.

salaries pretty much matchup

battier is owed 5 million the next 2 seasons

hope the spurs might call houston on this one espically if they have no chance of being contenders this season

Thompson
07-01-2009, 12:39 AM

Yeah, I was thinking about this one also, but the Rockets aren't giving him up without getting at least something in return (Hill or picks) in addition to Bonner and Finley (that and I don't think the salaries work for just those two, unless we have a trade exception). Maybe if he begged them, after all he's done for them... but I doubt it.

Edit: According to shamsports.com, Battier will be making $6,864,200 next year. Bonner and Finley total $5,756,500.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 12:40 AM
I think the Spurs have learned their lesson about dealing within the division.

Anyways, some teams are hurting financially around the league. Milwaukee seems to be in some real trouble, but the Spurs have already gone to that well.

Ice009
07-01-2009, 12:42 AM
Battier, Nocioni or Foster that would be awesome if we could trade for one of those guys.

IMO the Spurs really should definitely be looking at those types of trades with Bonner, Finley and Mason Jr.

AFBlue
07-01-2009, 12:43 AM
If the Spurs make a trade it will be for size in the frontcourt. I could see the Spurs revisiting trade deadline proposals with the Clippers, who now have an even deeper frontcourt with the addition of Blake Griffin.

Camby or Kaman are the most likely, though it would probably cost Mason. I'm sure free agency is the first option.

EricB
07-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Great to see Peter told RC to keep going for it all.

timvp
07-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Hopefully everything in that article is true. With McDonald, it's tough to tell when he's using his own opinion or when he's getting information from the Spurs.

If true, it sounds like the Spurs are heading in the right direction :tu

Parker2112
07-01-2009, 12:45 AM
it also wouldn't be surprising to see the Spurs explore trade options involving the rest of their expiring contracts — Roger Mason Jr., Bonner and now Finley.

Trade these three for Camby.:lobt2:

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 12:46 AM
At least they shouldn't have a problem competing with a full MLE offer for Wallace or McDyess. Part of the question will be the # of years, while the other will be if they can sell either on joining the team. At this point I think anything up to 3 years is feasible. After the 2011-12 season they can pare down the payroll and rebuild the team around TP with picks and other cheap players.

Mr. Body
07-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Fellas, no way in hell you get Battier for that piddling sum. Get real.

EricB
07-01-2009, 12:48 AM
Hopefully everything in that article is true. With McDonald, it's tough to tell when he's using his own opinion or when he's getting information from the Spurs.

If true, it sounds like the Spurs are heading in the right direction :tu

Well he had the Finley info the night before it became official.

He might be finally making some inroads into the organization sources wise, wich would be nice, I've felt bad for him because its been painfully obvious he's had ZERO friends in the organization and from what I've heard about him, he's a bust ass reporter.

Blackjack
07-01-2009, 12:50 AM
One of McDonald's better efforts.:tu

EricB
07-01-2009, 12:52 AM
One of McDonald's better efforts.:tu

Yeah he's getting better, and alot of it IMO is from finally maybe getting sone contacts within the organization.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Trade these three for Camby.:lobt2:

Doubtful unless Hill is included, at a minimum. Maybe the Clippers can shave a little bit off their payroll with such a trade, but the Clippers turned down a more attractive offer from the Spurs at last February's trade deadline that offered the Clips Bowen and Oberto's partially guaranteed contracts and Hill. The Clips could have saved $5 mil in the upcoming season and landed Hill. I think the Spurs will land their starting big in free agency and then will add either a solid big or swingman to the bench via a trade, preferably using Bonner and Finley.

And there's always the LLE to use (assuming Holt has given the green light) as well.

EricB
07-01-2009, 12:53 AM
Doubtful unless Hill is included, at a minimum. Maybe the Clippers can shave a little bit off their payroll with such a trade, but the Clippers turned down a more attractive offer from the Spurs at last February's trade deadline that offered the Clips Bowen and Oberto's partially guaranteed contracts and Hill. The Clips could have saved $5 mil in the upcoming season and landed Hill. I think the Spurs will land their starting big in free agency and then will add either a solid big or swingman to the bench via a trade, preferably using Bonner and Finley.

And there's always the LLE to use (assuming Holt has given the green light) as well.

Would be awesome to sign a Rasheed, then take Finley and Bonner and turn them into a James Posey type.

whottt
07-01-2009, 12:55 AM
“There are more names at (the) four that we like than there are at the three, as far as free agents go. Plus we can still use Findog at the 4 in the playoffs” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said.

Fixed

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Would be awesome to sign a Rasheed, then take Finley and Bonner and turn them into a James Posey type.

Nocioni might be that guy, depending on how free agency progresses. Sacto could pare down their future payroll significantly with a Finley+Bonner(+pick) trade.

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2009, 12:57 AM
if i were the rockets you do it....

i read they were thinkn of trading tmac for mobley/curry....

if they can shed payroll this year, maybe they can also be a big player in the 2010 sweepstakes....

Parker2112
07-01-2009, 01:00 AM

Good point, but things have changed a bit with the addition of Griffin...someone in their big rotation has got to go, and I've heard it will be Camby.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 01:01 AM
Good point, but things have changed a bit with the addition of Griffin...someone in their big rotation has got to go, and I've heard it will be Camby.

Well, they're going to get some value back for him. All the Spurs would be offering otherwise would be expiring contracts of role players for the expiring contract of a starter.

Parker2112
07-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Well, they're going to get some value back for him. All the Spurs would be offering otherwise would be expiring contracts of role players for the expiring contract of a starter.

It worked with Jefferson. If it worked twice, this might officially become known as the best offseason ever.

Parker2112
07-01-2009, 01:04 AM
But I hear what your sayin', I'm just hoping against hope. IMO, Camby would spell an automatic championship, provided he stayed healthy (no small feat)...

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 01:06 AM
It worked with Jefferson. If it worked twice, this might officially become known as the best offseason ever.

It worked with Jefferson as the Bucks were able to save $3.5 mil immediately by waiving Bowen and Oberto thanks to their partially guaranteed contracts and of course Thomas' deal ends after next season. That deal saves the Bucks something like $19 mil over two seasons. That's why the Bucks did that.

Camby's contract expires after next season. The Spurs can offer very little in the way of cap relief, other than perhaps including Marcus Williams and his nonguaranteed contract in a deal.

Parker2112
07-01-2009, 01:10 AM
It worked with Jefferson as the Bucks were able to save $3.5 mil immediately by waiving Bowen and Oberto thanks to their partially guaranteed contracts and of course Thomas' deal ends after next season. That deal saves the Bucks something like $19 mil over two seasons. That's why the Bucks did that.

Camby's contract expires after next season. The Spurs can offer very little in the way of cap relief, other than perhaps including Marcus Williams and his nonguaranteed contract in a deal.

Good call. I feel like I've officially been pimped.:pimpslap

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Hey, I'd take Camby, but it doesn't look like it's in the cards. Then again, this is the Clippers...

Russ
07-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Finley stays; big, tall task left for Spurs

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

The Spurs' first-round pick in 2007, Splitter is expected to remain in Spain for at least one more season.

“Anything can happen,” Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

Anything can happen?

Is there some theoretical scenario that could get Splitter to the Spurs?

Splitter would just about cement the title.

lefty
07-01-2009, 01:42 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.fanhouse.com/media/2007/05/finley-cuban-hug.jpg

Mark in Austin
07-01-2009, 01:44 AM
Nocioni might be that guy, depending on how free agency progresses. Sacto could pare down their future payroll significantly with a Finley+Bonner(+pick) trade.

Would love to see Noc here, but I heard the Maloofs are trying to remake the Kings into a blue collar team, and that one of the reasons they didn't buy him out/trade him last season was they loved his energy and work ethic.

Manufan909
07-01-2009, 02:04 AM

Is Nocioni a tweener 3/4?

TDMVPDPOY
07-01-2009, 02:19 AM
how about for thomas of the bulls, since the bulls just drafted 2 PFs.....i think he could be out since they are tryin toget rid of him

mystargtr34
07-01-2009, 02:24 AM
Is Nocioni a tweener 3/4?

Hes a 3.

He would make a better small ball 4 than Fin though :lol.

EmantheSpursFan
07-01-2009, 02:35 AM

Houston was trying to package Battier and i think Artest for ricky rubio lol
well maybe with there drastic situation with Yao being hurt can work in our favor, we can offer a Center who can score (Bonner) and a proven vet (finley) who still fits the 2010 plan doesnt sound so bad when you put it like that...
:wakeup

Bruno
07-01-2009, 02:50 AM
A question is how many good bigs, spurs should add? 1 or 2?

If Spurs get Sheed, they have a great starting frontcourt and their bench is Bonner, Mahinmi, Blair and maybe Gist.
If the prospects turn well, it could be a very good bench. If not, it sucks and Spurs need to add another good vet PF/C.

If Spurs get 2 good PF/C, they can easily have a logjam and waste money if prospects turn well.

I wonder if the smart thing wouldn't be to sign a FA now (Sheed or Dice would be perfect) and wait a little before doing a trade. Spurs should have a first answer on how good Mahinmi, Blair and Gist are after the SL. If there are some doubts, they can even wait until the February trade deadline to make a trade or not. The main drawback of waiting until the trade deadline to get another big is that the new big won't a lot of experience as a Spur.

Mr. Body
07-01-2009, 02:52 AM
Houston was trying to package Battier and i think Artest for ricky rubio lol
well maybe with there drastic situation with Yao being hurt can work in our favor, we can offer a Center who can score (Bonner) and a proven vet (finley) who still fits the 2010 plan doesnt sound so bad when you put it like that...
:wakeup

The rumor was Battier and Aaron Brooks, if it's to be believed.

And no, we're not getting Battier for shit sandwiches.

lurker23
07-01-2009, 02:54 AM

If Spurs get Sheed, they have a great starting frontcourt and their bench is Bonner, Mahinmi, Blair and maybe Gist.
If the prospects turn well, it could be a very good bench. If not, it sucks and Spurs need to add another good vet PF/C.

If Spurs get 2 good PF/C, they can easily have a logjam and waste money if prospects turn well.

I wonder if the smart thing wouldn't be to sign a FA now (Sheed or Dice would be perfect) and wait a little before doing a trade. Spurs should have a first answer on how good Mahinmi, Blair and Gist are after the SL. If there are some doubts, they can even wait until the February trade deadline to make a trade or not. The main drawback of waiting until the trade deadline to get another big is that the new big won't a lot of experience as a Spur.

I say you add the one big name and fill out the rest of the slots with Blair and Gist. For example, if you get Sheed, then you have known quantities in Duncan, Sheed, and Bonner (assuming he doesn't take a major step backwards, you know that Bonner is good for at least 10-20 minutes). Then, all you really need is ONE of Mahinmi, Blair, and Gist to turn into a solid contributor and you have your typical 4-man rotation. If two of those three guys turn into rotation players, then you have more than enough depth.

EmantheSpursFan
07-01-2009, 02:54 AM
The rumor was Battier and Aaron Brooks, if it's to be believed.

And no, we're not getting Battier for shit sandwiches.

thanks for the correction :toast haha

Spurs Brazil
07-01-2009, 06:15 AM

I think we got Manu with the LLE

ElNono
07-01-2009, 06:26 AM

You get one, the best you can get now. Then you wait till January, and if you're missing another big, you look for a trade.

timvp
07-01-2009, 06:29 AM

I wonder if the smart thing wouldn't be to sign a FA now (Sheed or Dice would be perfect) and wait a little before doing a trade. Spurs should have a first answer on how good Mahinmi, Blair and Gist are after the SL. If there are some doubts, they can even wait until the February trade deadline to make a trade or not. The main drawback of waiting until the trade deadline to get another big is that the new big won't a lot of experience as a Spur.I'd say go with one. Then see how the young bigs do in the summer league and reassess after that.

ploto
07-01-2009, 06:33 AM

IIRC, NVE was signed using this, as well as Manu.

Bruno
07-01-2009, 07:56 AM
I say you add the one big name and fill out the rest of the slots with Blair and Gist. For example, if you get Sheed, then you have known quantities in Duncan, Sheed, and Bonner (assuming he doesn't take a major step backwards, you know that Bonner is good for at least 10-20 minutes). Then, all you really need is ONE of Mahinmi, Blair, and Gist to turn into a solid contributor and you have your typical 4-man rotation. If two of those three guys turn into rotation players, then you have more than enough depth.

If you see Bonner as a player who can provide 10-20 solid mpg, adding only 1 good bigman is almost a no-brainer. If there are some serious doubt about Bonner ability to play in the playoffs, it's very risky to have a bench with him and rookies.

In the "adding 2 solid bigmen" scenario, one will likely come from FA and the other from a trade where Bonner would be gone. The rotation will be Duncan, big from FA, big from trade and rookies.

At the end, I do think that Finley picking his option has a quite big impact on what Spurs should/could/will do this summer. I would have rather like him not picking it but with him picking it, a trade to upgrade the 3rd big from Bonner to a better player makes a lot of sense.

Bruno
07-01-2009, 07:56 AM
IIRC, NVE was signed using this, as well as Manu.

NVE signed a min contract.

Agloco
07-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Then they should see what it takes to pull off another salary dump trade to bolster the bench, such as for a Nocioni or a Foster.

+1

Finley's re-upping isn't necessarily a bad thing.

timvp
07-01-2009, 02:33 PM
If you see Bonner as a player who can provide 10-20 solid mpg, adding only 1 good bigman is almost a no-brainer. If there are some serious doubt about Bonner ability to play in the playoffs, it's very risky to have a bench with him and rookies.

In the "adding 2 solid bigmen" scenario, one will likely come from FA and the other from a trade where Bonner would be gone. The rotation will be Duncan, big from FA, big from trade and rookies.

At the end, I do think that Finley picking his option has a quite big impact on what Spurs should/could/will do this summer. I would have rather like him not picking it but with him picking it, a trade to upgrade the 3rd big from Bonner to a better player makes a lot of sense.I'm not sure whether Bonner can recover from his horrible playoff showing. Both Pop and Duncan were outwardly pissed at him by the end of the series. It took years for Pop to warm up to him so if Pop has soured on Bonner again, he might as well trade him.

It also probably depends on the big the Spurs eventually land in free agency. If it's a shooter, then Bonner is more likely to be traded. But if they land a big center like Pachulia, you kinda have to keep him just to have the perimeter shooting big. In that scenario, having Bonner would give some protection to Pop going to small ball with Fin.