PDA

View Full Version : Will the T'Wolves catch the Griz?

Kori Ellis
04-04-2005, 01:29 AM
T-wolves focus on catching Griz

Garnett, Sprewell dispatch Kings

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/basketball/article/0,1426,MCA_466_3673232,00.html

Commerical Appeal
From Our Press Services

April 4, 2005

T'wolves 112, Kings 100

While the visiting Timberwolves headed for the team bus after an impressive win over the Kings, Wally Szczerbiak recited most of the Memphis Grizzlies' remaining schedule by heart as he chatted with Ervin Johnson about Minnesota's playoff chances.

"We need Denver to beat Memphis," Szczerbiak said of that Tuesday night matchup. Then he added,"We can't relax."

The Timberwolves will need some help to earn their ninth straight playoff appearance. They also need every win they can get -- and they certainly had more passion and accuracy than their opponents in Sacramento.

Kevin Garnett had 30 points and 13 rebounds, and Latrell Sprewell added 23 points in Minnesota's 112-100 victory Sunday. Sam Cassell scored 13 of his 16 points in the first half for the Timberwolves, who have won four straight regular-season games in Sacramento. Minnesota made 53 percent of its shots and took a 16-point lead early in the fourth quarter before holding on to extend the longest current winning streak of any opponent at Arco Arena.

With their sixth victory in seven games, the ninth-place Timberwolves (39-35) stayed three games behind Denver and Memphis for the final two Western Conference playoff spots. The Grizzlies beat the Los Angeles Lakers 102-82 on Sunday, while the Nuggets were idle.

After a disappointing start that cost coach Flip Saunders his job, the Timberwolves began a playoff push two weeks ago with the first of five straight victories. That winning streak ended Friday night in Phoenix, but Minnesota faces just three teams with winning records in its final eight games.

"We don't have anyone to blame for the situation we're in but ourselves," Cassell said. "The only people that are going to get us out of this situation is ourselves. We've got to keep doing what we're doing."

Peja Stojakovic scored 25 points for the Kings, who grabbed a season-high 24 offensive rebounds -- 20 in the first half -- but couldn't do much else in a comfortable win for the Timberwolves. Sacramento shot poorly until the final minutes

"When you go on a road trip and beat Cleveland (on Friday night), you can't come back home and lose to Minnesota," Stojakovic said.

"They're fighting for their playoff spot, and we have to have that same attitude. We should be fighting for our playoff spot."

Mike Bibby scored 19 points and Cuttino Mobley added 16 for the Kings, who must win five of their final seven games to reach 50 victories for the fifth straight season. Kenny Thomas had 11 points and a season-high 16 rebounds.

Minnesota made a 17-6 run in the final 4 minutes of the third quarter. Sacramento closed to 93-86 on Mobley's layup with 6:11 to play, but Sprewell scored eight points in the next 41/2 minutes while also playing strong defense.

"Our offense is pretty good, and besides our rebounding, we did a nice job," Minnesota coach Kevin McHale said. "(The Kings) have a little different look with Kenny Thomas, (Brian) Skinner and Corliss (Williamson). This team is not as finesse-y as it used to be. They come in and push you back."

------------------------------------------------------------

Minnesota is three games back of the Grizzlies/Nuggets.

Grizzlies remaining schedule

Tue 5 Denver 8:00 PM
Wed 6 at Toronto 7:00 PM
Fri 8 Miami 8:00 PM
Sun 10 Charlotte 8:00 PM
Mon 11 at Dallas 8:30 PM
Wed 13 at Houston 8:30 PM
Fri 15 at Denver 9:00 PM
Sat 16 at San Antonio 8:30 PM
Mon 18 San Antonio 8:00 PM
Wed 20 Dallas 8:00 PM

Timberwolves remaining schedule

Wed 6 Utah 9:30 PM
Fri 8 Denver 9:30 PM
Sat 9 at Atlanta 7:00 PM
Wed 13 Golden State 8:00 PM
Fri 15 at Utah 9:00 PM
Sun 17 Seattle 3:30 PM
Mon 18 at New Orleans 8:00 PM
Wed 20 San Antonio 8:00 PM

timvp
04-04-2005, 01:33 AM
I'd rather the Suns play the T'Wolves than the Grizzlies. The T'Wolves have a shot of knocking them off. The Grizzlies don't.

Nbadan
04-04-2005, 01:34 AM
IMO Flip Saunders sucks. Minnesota needs to lure POP out of SA.

:shootme

Kori Ellis
04-04-2005, 01:36 AM
IMO Flip Saunders sucks.

Yes he does. That's why he isn't coaching anymore. I wonder if he'll end up anywhere next season.

timvp
04-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Cleveland.

Nbadan
04-04-2005, 01:39 AM
Minnesota should give Carlesimo a shot. See if any of POP has worn off on him. Of course, they would have to trade Sprewell, but that's not a total negative either.

whottt
04-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Hiya Dan! Welcome back to the Spurs forum! It's been a while since you have posted in here!

Nbadan
04-04-2005, 01:50 AM
Don't worry, I'm just relishing a little in seeing the panic in some Spur Fans faces, even if its just for a little while.

:lol

xcoriate
04-04-2005, 02:54 AM
Hiya Dan! Welcome back to the Spurs forum! It's been a while since you have posted in here!

No kidding, this has to have been the first time I seen you post about the spurs. :)

ceds
04-04-2005, 06:59 AM
The last game of the season Spurs v Wolves could be huge

I hope it comes down to the wolves having to win their last game of the season to make the playoffs. It would be a classic

Jimcs50
04-04-2005, 08:15 AM
Wolves have an easy schedule, but 4 games is a lot to make up. Memphis will have to really lose some winnable games to lose out on playoffs.

I think Memphis will be 8, Sacto 7 and Houston and Denver will be 5-6 in some order.

Dex
04-04-2005, 08:17 AM
The last game of the season Spurs v Wolves could be huge

I hope it comes down to the wolves having to win their last game of the season to make the playoffs. It would be a classic

If it came down to that, with Phoenix still sitting in the number one spot, I'd almost be content to let them have the game and give the Timberwolves a chance at upsetting the Suns.

Key word: Almost. :smokin

Supergirl
04-04-2005, 08:21 AM
I hope the Grizzlies hold off the T-wolves, just on principle alone. The Grizzlies have worked hard all season, playing most of the time without Gasol, to earn their playoff spot. The T-wolves have been lazy and old and slow all season - they don't deserve the last spot just because they decided to make a last minute push.

Memphis can knock off the Suns just as easily in a 7 game series. They play much better D, and are deeper. One injury to the Suns in the 1st round (I predict, it will come, because they've been playing soft all year) and they're DONE.

CosmicCowboy
04-04-2005, 08:30 AM
I think Memphis will be 8, Sacto 7 and Houston and Denver will be 5-6 in some order.

assuming Spurs hold on to the 2 seed that would be a perfect scenario. Spurs with Tim and Devin back healthy could probably sweep the first round and get a little rest before round 2.

sickdsm
04-04-2005, 09:17 AM
If your going to commend the Griz for playing without Pau what about the wolves without Cassell? Its no small wonder why there doing well now. Scoring wise the bench is downright filthy with Wally/sam/hoiberg/Griffen off the bench. Too little too late but you have to realize that if they do make it it will mean the've been on fire. And going up against the Suns first round would be a great matchup if thats the case. Why on earth would someone want to hire a PJ? It only "rubs off" on a capable person. He's a nobody. Might as well get some other retread.

Rummpd
04-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Don't under-estimate the Kings. Spurs would win but in 6 or so. Still have a nice squad.

ducks
04-04-2005, 10:56 AM
wolves better make the playoffs if they do not want kg to demand out

one superstar has to do during the offseason and he is the lucky candiate

SirChaz
04-04-2005, 11:05 AM
As a Suns fan I would much rather face Minnesota than either Denver or Memphis.

The Suns own the Puppies this season. They squeeked out one close win early in the year and the Suns have dominated them since then. Even hanging their worst loss of the year on them in Minnesota.

They Suns have played(and won) several close games against the Nuggets often playing them shorthanded. The Nuggets have the size to beat the Suns on the boards, their biggest weakness.

Memphis has split with the Suns. They are very deep and physical. They have given the Suns problems this year. Maybe as much trouble as any team in the league.

mrose31
04-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Fuck Garnett and his Twolves the won't make the playoffs. We have control our last three games are Mem, Mem, and Min. We throw the first two and beat the hell out of them on our last game of season.

Jimcs50
04-04-2005, 11:34 AM
If Phoenix plays an 8th seeded Memphis and a 4th seeded Dallas team, they will have gone through the toughest road to the WCFs that you can imagine.

SA would be a lot more rested if they play Sacto, then Seattle or Denver in 2nd round.

This favors the Spurs.

RobinsontoDuncan
04-04-2005, 06:11 PM
I would love it if the spurs could play the kings and the grizz in the playoffs

FromWayDowntown
04-04-2005, 06:21 PM
I'd rather the Suns play the T'Wolves than the Grizzlies. The T'Wolves have a shot of knocking them off. The Grizzlies don't.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Memphis has great depth and, more than anything else, a commitment to playing transition defense that would be vital to any team's chances to beat Phoenix in a series. Minnesota's one asset would be some star power (essentially, Garnett), but star power hasn't given them much of a realistic chance to beat the Suns, I think. Memphis doesn't have the stars, but they go 10 deep solidly, run a ton of long, athletic players on the floor, and do a great job of getting back. Plus, I think Memphis would be more motivated to beat Phoenix -- those guys want to prove something, particularly after getting swept last year. I'd almost rather the Grizz be 8, at this point for that reason alone.

But I think Minnesota will end up 8.

Memphis has split with the Suns. They are very deep and physical. They have given the Suns problems this year. Maybe as much trouble as any team in the league.

Are you sure about that last statement? You might take a look at the title of this forum. Then you might recall a serious asswhipping on a December night in San Antonio. And a monster comeback in Phoenix. And the struggle the Suns had to beat a team missing two All-Stars. I don't recall Memphis being involved in any of those games.

SirChaz
04-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Are you sure about that last statement? You might take a look at the title of this forum. Then you might recall a serious asswhipping on a December night in San Antonio. And a monster comeback in Phoenix. And the struggle the Suns had to beat a team missing two All-Stars. I don't recall Memphis being involved in any of those games.

Read "maybe as much as" not "definitely more than".

I have watched every Suns game this season. Yes I am sure of that.

Of course one of thier wins was at the end of a long Suns road trip and another the Suns were without Nash.

Denver has also given the Suns problems but those were all close games the Suns won.

There is no doubt the worst loss of the year was against the Spurs in December. Of course when you only have 17 they are not hard to rank.

So far Memphis and San Antonio are the only teams to beat Phoenix twice.

Useruser666
04-04-2005, 08:56 PM
The only way the Twolves can catch the "Griz", is if that's some type of disease.

sickdsm
04-04-2005, 09:46 PM
The wolves basically have there sam of last year now. He's still coming off the bench but the last five games he's averaging 16.4, 4.8, 53.3 % while only playing 24.4 minutes. As much as you'd like to deny it the playoffs DO slow the game down. Just ask the NJ Nets if you don't believe it. That greatly benefits the wolves. Last i checked it was a relatively close game the other night on the second half of a back to back roadtrip. This team is basically IDENTICAL to last years team that went to WCF and would have done serious damage in the finals if healthy in terms of the roster. You expect that the same guys, playing on fire (if they make the playoffs they will be on fire) are suddenly going to fall over? If anything they'd have the best chance on paper ever of a 8 seed taking down a 1.

1Parker1
04-04-2005, 09:58 PM
The only way the Twolves can catch the "Griz", is if that's some type of disease.
:lol Boy, I sure hope whatever Cassell has isn't contagious.