PDA

View Full Version : Kidd Back to Mavs for $8M per Year?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-01-2009, 09:32 AM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60242/20090701/mavs_prepared_to_offer_kidd_$8m_per_year/

Mavs Prepared To Offer Kidd $8M Per Year
Jul 01, 2009 9:50 AM EST

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban planned to meet with Jason Kidd at midnight on Tuesday in New York City.

The New York Daily News wrote early Wednesday that "the Mavs will offer Kidd a contract starting at $8 million per over two years with an option for a third."

The Knicks are interested in Kidd as well, but can only offer him the $5.8 million mid-level exception unless they negotiate a sign-and-trade with Dallas.

coyotes_geek
07-01-2009, 09:37 AM
As a Spurs fan I wholeheartedly endorse this move. Do it Cubes!

dougp
07-01-2009, 09:44 AM
That's pretty damn cheap for a guy like Kidd - I'm surprised the Laker's didn't just bite the bullet and try to go after him also, or the Trailblazers ...

Culburn369
07-01-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm surprised the Laker's didn't just bite the bullet and try to go after him also

- "SSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

- Derek Fisher - Philadelphia, PA. - June.15.2001

dougp
07-01-2009, 10:36 AM

Fish needs to retire.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-01-2009, 10:43 AM
lil Fish is still a good player.

Neo.
07-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Whoa. Deja Vu.

IronMexican
07-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Fish is solid for 16 - 24 minutes a night. Kidd for 8 million is a steal.

Extra Stout
07-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Kidd to join Warriors?

DMX7
07-01-2009, 12:10 PM
Fish is solid for 16 - 24 minutes a night. Kidd for 8 million is a steal.

There's not really a big market for him so they could probably get away with paying him that or less.

Leetonidas
07-01-2009, 12:32 PM
:lmao

Kidd is not even worth the MLE anymore.

urunobili
07-01-2009, 03:14 PM
:lmao

kamikazi_player
07-01-2009, 03:33 PM
wow, offering 8 million to an old pg that can't play d like he used to, yep you know its bad in Dallas when this happens.

CubanMustGo
07-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Kidd wants MORE, apparently:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4300452

Updated: July 1, 2009, 4:47 PM ET
Kidd, Knicks meet; Mavs ready to deal
By Marc Stein

The Dallas Mavericks opened the free-agent period early Wednesday by letting guard Jason Kidd know that they are prepared to sign him to a three-year deal, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

The specifics to be determined in those talks center on the money, with the Mavericks believed to be proposing a deal in the $21 million to $25 million range for the 36-year-old guard, and Kidd said to be seeking more.

Kidd also attended his scheduled Wednesday meeting at Madison Square Garden with New York Knicks president Donnie Walsh and coach Mike D'Antoni, who works with Kidd as an assistant coach with Team USA. Kidd has legitimate interest in the Knicks given his strong ties to the area after 7½ seasons with New Jersey and his fondness for D'Antoni, but Dallas can comfortably outbid New York.

It appears, though, that a resolution on Kidd's future is unlikely before next week, as the Mavericks and Kidd continue to negotiate.

Although he declined to go into specifics, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said of his sitdown with Kidd in New York, which began at 12:01 a.m. ET on Wednesday: "It went well. Now we have to work out some details."

The Dallas Morning News also quoted Cuban as saying that he is "very optimistic" about finalizing a deal with Kidd.

New York can only offer a contract starting at the projected mid-level exception of $5.6 million. Offering Kidd or any other free agent more than one year, furthermore, would likely cut into the salary-cap space that the Knicks have earmarked for the free-agent pursuit of Cleveland's LeBron James in 2010.

But sources say that another prominent veteran free agent -- Grant Hill -- has also been invited to visit the Knicks early next week. Hill was to meet face-to-face with Suns president Steve Kerr on Wednesday at his home in the Orlando area.

"The Knicks can't give Jason more than one year," one rival executive said this week, "unless they think that signing him gets them LeBron."

In spite of the obstacles, sources said Walsh and D'Antoni went into Wednesday's chat with Kidd feeling cautiously optimistic about their chances, even though Kidd has made it clear that he has no interest in one-year deals. If the Knicks did manage to lure him back to the Atlantic Division, finding a trade home for Eddy Curry or Jared Jeffries would become an even bigger priority than it is now, given New York's well-chronicled desire to create the requisite flexibility to recruit two top free agents in the summer of 2010.

In addition to reaching out to free agents such as Kidd and Hill, New York also has two in-demand restricted free agents of its own: David Lee and Nate Robinson.

Kidd averaged 9.0 points and 8.7 assists last season while earning nearly $21 million for a Mavericks team that won 50 games. After steamrolling [an injured, let's get the facts straight, Markie] San Antonio in five games in the first round of the playoffs, Dallas was eliminated in five games by the Nuggets.

He returned to the franchise that drafted him out of Cal in 1994 in a February 2008 multiplayer trade with New Jersey, which established Devin Harris as the Nets' new lead guard. But the Mavs were ousted by New Orleans in the first round of the '08 playoff, with Kidd struggling to adapt to coach Avery Johnson's deliberate offense and Johnson losing his job after a second straight first-round exit following Dallas' trip to the 2006 NBA Finals.

Kidd told reporters in Dallas at season's end that he "would love to be back" with the Mavericks, insisting that he can play at least three more seasons. He's third in league history in assists after 15 seasons.

"I'm not looking at [free agency] as ... hitching on a bandwagon and jumping on with a team that's a favorite," Kidd said in May, disputing speculation that he is intent on signing with the Los Angeles Lakers or Cleveland Cavaliers to hook up with either Kobe Bryant or LeBron James from Team USA.

"I'm looking to help a team try to win a championship. Whether it's here in Dallas or wherever it may be, I still feel that I have a lot to give to the game. I feel great and I thought I had a pretty good season. As much as everybody talks about my age, I still feel like I can compete at a high level."

Allanon
07-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Kidd wants MORE, apparently:
The Dallas Mavericks opened the free-agent period early Wednesday by letting guard Jason Kidd know that they are prepared to sign him to a three-year deal, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

The specifics to be determined in those talks center on the money, with the Mavericks believed to be proposing a deal in the $21 million to $25 million range for the 36-year-old guard, and Kidd said to be seeking more.

Dang, JKidd will be 39 by the time his 3 year contract is up and that's still not enough money? Is there really any other team crazy enough to offer Kidd more than that?

coyotes_geek
07-01-2009, 06:12 PM
Kidd must be having a cash flow problem after getting gutted by Joumana.

Jeremy
07-01-2009, 06:32 PM

Cubby is that you?????

mystargtr34
07-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Kidd for $8M at 36 is not a steal :lol. Its not even a smart basketball decision. Hes worth around the MLE.

VivaPopovich
07-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Dang, JKidd will be 39 by the time his 3 year contract is up and that's still not enough money? Is there really any other team crazy enough to offer Kidd more than that?

sucks they gave up devin harris to get into that situation

but then again, mark cuban really does bring this on himself

Spurtacus
07-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Go Mavs! Show him the money. :lol

Findog
07-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Kidd says he is "interested" in New York and Portland. That's lying for leverage. He will be offered $17 million more from Dallas than any other team. He has to ask himself in this 3-team derby (LA, Cle, Dal) if he is willing to forgo $17 million for a 50/50 shot with Cle or LA. Either one of those teams could succumb to injuries, or might not gel the way they need to. Or it could work out in the end and he could get his ring, but it would be a ringhunter situation, which is kind of cheap. And he'll have said goodbye to $17 million to get that cheapened ring. Part of how he got here to Dallas is because he was pissed the Nets wouldn't extend him.

He wants to win a ring and do it in a place in which he is a contributor and not just waving a towel on the bench. But he also wants to get paid. Cleveland and LA really can't do that. If he stays with Dallas, he's at least in the playoffs, the 2nd round being the upper limit of what the Mavs are capable of right now. If the Jazz want to get rid of Boozer after he chose not to opt out, the Mavs should throw the Stack/Damp chip at them. How ironic that would be, but the Jazz could just buy Stack out. They could let Damp expire for 2010 and keep Milsap. Right now they're in a crunch because they'd rather have Milsap for the next several years but that means paying the lux tax next season because of Boozer's move. I bet they could save a lot of money buying Stack out. Dallas might even be able to have him boomerang back for the vet minimum. I didn't like Stack getting $7 million last year to do nothing, but I like the idea of bringing him back for the vet minimum and seeing if he's healthy.

Findog
07-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Update: Trade Checker rejects Stack/Damp for Boozer. So it would have to be different.

Spurtacus
07-02-2009, 02:17 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4300452

Knicks are ready to make a similar offer.

I see a comment on ESPN that mentions Ramon Sessions. Hell yeah. He would be cheaper than Kidd and has more upside. If I was the Knicks I'd go after Sessions.

Findog
07-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Boozer/Harpring for Stack/Damp works

ElNono
07-02-2009, 09:42 AM
I think he just wants to cash in... The whole ring thing I strongly suspect is really secondary to him. He talks the talk, but when you sit down to negotiate, he goes where the biggest pile of money is.
Considering that, I think the Mavs should be able to re-sign him, but it's gonna cost some heavy monies.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2009, 09:43 AM
paying kidd 8m per is as stupid as resigning diop MLE a few seasons back....

some ppl will never learn

La Peace
07-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Sessions is dope, if you can get em take em.

Dunc n Dave
07-02-2009, 04:19 PM

Um, yeah... that was just last summer. Lucky for them, they suckered the Bobcats into getting them out of that mess, but now Matt Carroll rides the pine for them in Diop's place for MLE money.

Ghazi
07-02-2009, 04:26 PM

Ummm... Diop contributed absolutely nothing. Kidd despite his age is still a borderline top 10 PG who still can impact games... how are the two comparable. they aren't. stfu thanks.

Culburn369
07-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Kidd despite his age is still a borderline top 10 PG who still can impact games

Ghazi with the goods, precise style. Kidd understands the NBA game and he'll do no harm during game conditions. In many ways he's better now than say 3 years ago. He understands and accepts his limitations and strives mightily to apply his positives to retard the limitations. He gives nothing away mentally during games. Like Fisher at Los Angeles.

jack sommerset
07-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Is Kidd holding the Mavericks hostage? Can they make any moves until Kidd knows what he is doing? Is Kidd being a selfish fuck not resigning with the Mavs considering everything they gave up to get him? I'm sure Kidd had to appove the Mavs-Nets trade. Whats is he doing meeting with the Knicks of all teams? This Kidd trade continues to look real bad for Mavericks.

mavsfan1000
07-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Kidd sucks. They should just let him go.