PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Oberto On The Market

duncan228
07-01-2009, 02:26 PM
Oberto on the market (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/oberto-on-the-m.html)
By Jeff McDonald

The Pistons waived Fabricio Oberto this afternoon, returning the former Spurs big man to the free agent pool.

Traded last week in the deal that brought Richard Jefferson from Milwaukee, and then promptly shipped to Detroit, Oberto would have to wait a league-mandated 20 days to re-sign with the Spurs.

It remains to be seen how hard the Spurs will pursue him. Much will depend on what kind of other free-agent bigs the Spurs are able to lure during free agency, as well as on how rookie DeJuan Blair pans out over the summer.

Meanwhile, Bruce Bowen -- another piece of the Jefferson trade -- is expected to join Oberto on the market, eventually. The Bucks have until Aug. 1 to set Bowen loose and avoid paying the guaranteed portion of his contract ($2 million). The Spurs are not expected to bring Bowen back should he become a free agent.

Spurs Brazil
07-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Once Fabricio Oberto clears waivers in Detroit on July 7, there will be several teams courting the ex-Spurs forward, including Washington, Phoenix, Sacramento and Indiana, sources say. There’s still a strong possibility he could return to the Spurs, who traded him as part of the Richard Jefferson deal last month.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApYIUnOjeceWQAaZyjIDaJu8vLYF?slug=aw-gordonvillanueva070109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Spurs Brazil
07-01-2009, 02:29 PM
The Spurs are not expected to bring Bowen back should he become a free agent.

:(

hater
07-01-2009, 02:31 PM
I think Spurs are working hard on landing the best FA they can get before even thinking about Oberto/Bowen

once again, Spurs going all in

weebo
07-01-2009, 02:31 PM
I think Oberto should just hang em up. The guy's heart is a ticking time bomb.

bigdog
07-01-2009, 02:33 PM
I believe McDonald is wrong. Don't they have to wait 30 days to bring Fab back?

Jose Ole
07-01-2009, 02:41 PM
I think Spurs are working hard on landing the best FA they can get before even thinking about Oberto/Bowen

once again, Spurs going all in

makes sense to me....

DBMethos
07-01-2009, 02:42 PM
I believe McDonald is wrong. Don't they have to wait 30 days to bring Fab back?

I think it's 30 days from the day that the trade occurred.

Dr. Gonzo
07-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Sorry Oberto, but your services are no longer needed whether we get a big or not. You were great when you were here.

I think using the word "great" is an overstatement. He was serviceable.

Supergirl
07-01-2009, 02:48 PM
people seem to forget Oberto is possibly the best center we've had since David Robinson, in terms of how he plays with TD. admittedly, he's a major downgrade from D-Rob but anyone would be. KT is the only C since D-Rob who comes close.

Oberto is a tough defender, albeit undersized, and he's very coachable. He's got a reliable little ugly shot, but he could be a decent C or back up C for any number of teams, including the Spurs.

Now, I think the Spurs may be able to get themselves more size, but I wouldn't be upset if we wind up with Fab again. And there *are* still questions about his heart condition...

Bruno
07-01-2009, 02:55 PM
I think it's 30 days from the day that the trade occurred.

It's only 20 days after the trade during the offseason.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2009, 02:56 PM

It's ridiculous to think we are stuck with the rotting corpse of Michael Finley for another year while one of the guys who embodied the Spurs over the last decade and was at the core of its championship squads was casted off.

What a joke.

jrmp317
07-01-2009, 02:58 PM
It's ridiculous to think we are stuck with the rotting corpse of Michael Finley for another year while one of the guys who embodied the Spurs over the last decade and was at the core of its championship squads was casted off.

What a joke.

I'm pretty sure if it was up to the Spurs, Fin wouldn't be here. Unfortunately, Fin chose to stay.

50 cent
07-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Bowen is gone folks. Let it go.

They FO is not going to bring him back.

bless1187
07-01-2009, 04:05 PM

What a joke.

damm you guys are really harsh on M. Finley. He was one of the core of Spurs last championship team, he made some pretty big shot for us.

Spurtacus
07-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Duncan
Bonner
Mahinmi
Blair

I'd like to get Kurt Thomas back if he's waived. If not, Oberto. He's cheap and experienced.

YODA
07-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Duncan
Bonner
Mahinmi
Blair

I'd like to get Kurt Thomas back if he's waived. If not, Oberto. He's cheap and experienced.

I dont think we get the chance to get Kurt back, but the idea that we need a player with experience and a physical presense is really needed.
Bonner? yikes
Mahinmi? rookie, athletic, but physical? no
Blair? hopeful, but a rookie? not likely the physical presense we need.
So hopeful with wallace

Ditty
07-01-2009, 11:57 PM
please don't some back Fab your a great guy meet you a couple of times but its time to back to argentina and enjoy the beautiful women there

Baseline
07-02-2009, 01:02 AM

What a joke.

Totally agree.

Finley can be picked up by Waste Management at 8:00am tomorrow morning. That is if they can't get there any earlier.

spurtilldeath
07-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Oberto to Rockets???

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13150

Again, this is a speculation.....

loveforthegame
07-02-2009, 03:49 PM
We need to move forward. Not bring back everyone we traded away to begin with.

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Please no oberto, we love you, but we can't use you. He may be the best center since D Rob in SA, but that says a lot about how bad we have been at getting bigs onto the team, yikes. Though who really compares to D Rob on any roster now ?

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 04:13 PM
How bout D Rob comes back for one more? That would be better than Oberto.

jgome21
07-02-2009, 04:16 PM
If Oberto see's any playing time with the spurs, then we dont stand a chance of contending with LA. I wouldnt resign him or bowen unless u want to lose.

spurtilldeath
07-02-2009, 04:17 PM
How abt cloning duncan from 10 yrs back?

jgome21
07-02-2009, 04:18 PM
and Oberto isnt the best center we've had since Robinson, it was Nazr. If u dont recall he tore up Ben Wallace in the finals when Wallace was in his prime.

phyzik
07-02-2009, 04:22 PM

http://www.mentalacrobatics.com/think/images/mss.jpg

sabar
07-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Nazr "Stone Hands" Mohammed? All he could do is pump fake. Oberto is much smarter and only scores a bit less. Believe it or not, we don't need our 3rd string center to score 20 ppg.

loveforthegame
07-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Oberto was smart around the basket and his passing skills should be mentioned too.

I wouldn't be totally against bringing him back but only after every option was exhausted first.

mudyez
07-02-2009, 04:27 PM
How abt cloning duncan from 10 yrs back?

I'm pretty sure, that he would have to be born again....so we might have to wait 2 decades for him to show up...lets do it twice to make all the center/powerforward discussions stop!