PDA

View Full Version : Trade for Joel Przybilla

GSH
07-01-2009, 02:36 PM
[Edit, July 8: The Blazers are trying hard to sign David Lee. Might that change their willingness to deal Przybilla? See below.]

Considering how good LaMarcus Aldridge was last season, if the Blazers think that Greg Oden is actually going to play this year, they might be able to afford to trade Joel Przybilla. His salary is a match for Finley/Bonner.

What's in it for the Blazers? They get a couple of guys who can shoot the 3, and a pair of veterans who have experienced winning a championship. They also get two expiring contracts that would give them incredible cap space in 2010. If Oden and Aldridge are both healthy, they won't be able to give a lot of minutes to Przybilla, which will make it more difficult to trade him the next season.

For the Spurs part, he isn't a star-quality C, but he fits the description of what they are supposed to need. He's a legitimate 7-footer, and he's strong. He's a good rebounder, and a reasonably good defender, and he'll block some shots. He's not much of a scorer, but everyone says that is of secondary importance for that position right now. He's a true C, in that he spends virtually all his time in the paint, instead of ranging out to shoot jumpers. At his current salary, he is affordable, and a trade would still leave the Spurs the MLE, if they needed to make any more acquisitions.

Length isn't a big problem for the Blazers - in addition to Oden and Aldridge, they have Batum (6-8), Travis Outlaw (6-10), and their draft picks Claver (6-9), Pendergraph (6-9), and Cunningham (6-8). And they have more than their share of youth and athleticism. What they lack is veteran leadership, and players who have been there before, to help them get to the next level. And if they aren't confident enough in Odem, either his health or his ability, to go with him and Aldridge, they have problems that extend beyond the upcoming season.

hater
07-01-2009, 02:37 PM
yeah Aldridge really killed in the Playoffs

Trainwreck2100
07-01-2009, 02:38 PM
here we go with the crap for _______________ trade threads

TimDunkem
07-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Is it any worse than the hundred Rasheed Wallace threads?

GSH
07-01-2009, 02:53 PM

Before you start the smack talk:

Przybilla's contract is $6.8M this season, but he has a player option in 2010 for $7.4M. In 2010, the Blazers will be able (I believe) to extend the contracts of LaMarcus Aldridge and Brandon Roy.

Which do you think will be their biggest priority - keeping Przybilla, or keeping Aldridge and Roy?

Do you think that $7.4M of cap space might be important to them?

Do you think it will be easier to trade Przybilla this season, at $6.8M, and after a good season - or next year, for $7.4M after coming off the bench behind Odem and Aldridge?

The cap space is going to be important to the Blazers. More important than Przybilla this year? Maybe.

Muser
07-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Is it any worse than the hundred Rasheed Wallace threads?

I guess, but Sheed is actually a realistic and decent proposal, the threads about "Trade Mason, Hill etc... For bullshit big man A or B" are 0% chance.

You can really tell it's offseason at Spurs talk.

TimDunkem
07-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I guess, but Sheed is actually a realistic and decent proposal, the threads about "Trade Mason, Hill etc... For bullshit big man A or B" are 0% chance.

This place is for discussion...What's the point of coming into a thread you don't like just to say "What's the point?"

And the OP didn't say anything about trading Hill, or Mason. So, it can't really be compared to those types of trade proposals.

coyotes_geek
07-01-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure Portland is ready to give up their Oden insurance just quite yet. Especially not to us.

AFBlue
07-01-2009, 03:15 PM

I don't think you can call Pryzbilla an unrealistic trade target. GSH makes valid points about Portland's cap number...and remember that Pryzbilla was heavily pursued by the Spurs a couple summers ago, when they ultimately balked at giving him an extra year on his deal.

I'd put Pryzibilla in the same category as the Camby/Kaman trade discussion...each carries a pretty big cap number and is on a team that looks like it's headed in a different direction (Portland to Oden/Aldridge and LA to Griffin).

I'm sure there will be plenty of free agent discussion this summer, but I certainly wouldn't discount trade discussions either.

GSH
07-01-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure Portland is ready to give up their Oden insurance just quite yet. Especially not to us.

I'm not either. And probably not without some kind of sweetner. But I don't think it's 100% out of the question, considering their need to retain all that young talent.

When you look at the list of FA bigs, and subtract out the ones that are absolutely out of our price range, the field is pretty small. Portland likes Przybilla, but they don't love him. I think he's one of the very few trade possibilities that we could actually afford, and that we might have an outside shot at landing.

urunobili
07-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Pop loves this guy...

GooberNuts
07-01-2009, 03:37 PM
Pop loves this guy...

Pop also loves Finley...so where does this leave us :spin

sprrs
07-01-2009, 03:41 PM

If someone had proposed Bowen Thomas Oberto for Richard Jefferson, would you have said the same thing?

GSH
07-01-2009, 04:16 PM
I didn't want to make the OP incredibly long, but there's a little more.

If the Blazers cleared Przybilla's cap space for next season, they could afford to sign one or two better quality pieces for this season (like Lamar Odem for instance) and still afford to keep Aldridge and Roy well into the future.

IF (and I admit it's a big if) you knew that Oden was healthy, would you rather have Lamar Odem, or Joel Przybilla for short minutes off the bench? So the question may be whether to gamble on having a championship-caliber team, or to make certain that they have a solid team.

If Oden is healthy, Przybilla is worth a lot more to the Spurs than to the Blazers. And he's worth more this season than he would be next season.

mardigan
07-01-2009, 04:21 PM
He would be perfect imo.

Agloco
07-01-2009, 04:45 PM
here we go with the crap for crap trade threads

Fixed.

You act as if this is another typical Finley/Bonner thread. Pryzbilla is another Rasho, without the consistent jumper. He's a bit more mobile than Rasho though and younger to boot.

Not a bad idea if Sheed is already in the mix here. I still believe that we need a big who can spread the floor.

rayray2k8
07-01-2009, 04:46 PM
No

Mavs<Spurs
07-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Considering how good LaMarcus Aldridge was last season, if the Blazers think that Greg Oden is actually going to play this year, they might be able to afford to trade Joel Przybilla. His salary is a match for Finley/Bonner.

What's in it for the Blazers? They get a couple of guys who can shoot the 3, and a pair of veterans who have experienced winning a championship. They also get two expiring contracts that would give them incredible cap space in 2010. If Oden and Aldridge are both healthy, they won't be able to give a lot of minutes to Przybilla, which will make it more difficult to trade him the next season.

For the Spurs part, he isn't a star-quality C, but he fits the description of what they are supposed to need. He's a legitimate 7-footer, and he's strong. He's a good rebounder, and a reasonably good defender, and he'll block some shots. He's not much of a scorer, but everyone says that is of secondary importance for that position right now. He's a true C, in that he spends virtually all his time in the paint, instead of ranging out to shoot jumpers. At his current salary, he is affordable, and a trade would still leave the Spurs the MLE, if they needed to make any more acquisitions.

Length isn't a big problem for the Blazers - in addition to Oden and Aldridge, they have Batum (6-8), Travis Outlaw (6-10), and their draft picks Claver (6-9), Pendergraph (6-9), and Cunningham (6-8). And they have more than their share of youth and athleticism. What they lack is veteran leadership, and players who have been there before, to help them get to the next level. And if they aren't confident enough in Odem, either his health or his ability, to go with him and Aldridge, they have problems that extend beyond the upcoming season.

Good thread. Worth considering. Sheed and Dice are obviously better for us, but Joel wouldn't be bad considering he is a solid defender and rebounder. It's may not be the most likely, but I agree that it is far from outside the realm of possibilities based upon what we know right not.

dochay
07-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Sounds like it may work. If they took Finley and Bonner SA wouldn't be losing anything. If SA somehow got Rudy Fernandez out of them it would totally rock. With Roy and Websters contracts they probably won't be shelling out big money for Fernandez next year anyway since that would hinder them in the FA bonanza. His offense could come in handy.

Mavs<Spurs
07-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Sounds like it may work. If they took Finley and Bonner SA wouldn't be losing anything. If SA somehow got Rudy Fernandez out of them it would totally rock. With Roy and Websters contracts they probably won't be shelling out big money for Fernandez next year anyway since that would hinder them in the FA bonanza. His offense could come in handy.

I Agree with this.

barbacoataco
07-01-2009, 05:43 PM
I live in Portland now so I watch the Blazers a lot. Pryzbilla is a good defender. He is one of those guys who is strong enough to keep opponents out of the low post and good position. He also has good basketball IQ for a big man. To me he is exactly what the Spurs need. Of course Sheed or McDyess are better overall players. But in terms of a specific need, Pryzbilla fits the bill.

Whether the Blazers want to trade him, I can't say that I've heard anyone discussing that here. The Blazers are overloaded at SF with Outlaw, Martell Webster, Batum and Rudy all competing for minutes. Eventually they will move one of those guys. Plus they're looking into Hedo. That is why I'm not sure they would want Finley, but maybe for his "veterean leadership" and clutch shooting. I doubt it.

GSH
07-08-2009, 06:51 AM
The Blazers have made it clear that they want to sign David Lee, and some big numbers are being tossed around. If they sign Lee, would they be any more likely to trade Przybilla? Remember, they are going to be loaded with bigs, and they will need cap space to extend LaMarcus Aldridge and Brandon Roy. If they don't deal Przybilla this year, they will probably look to do it next year.

If we traded Bonner/Finley/Mahinmi, we would still have the full MLE to sign another player or two. When you look at the rest of the Blazers' roster - especially with the addition of Lee, those guys actually make some serviceable backups, and their contracts would allow Portland to retain their best two young players.

urunobili
07-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Pop likes him.. but Pricktchard would never do a deal with us... never...

coyotes_geek
07-08-2009, 07:09 AM
Portland doesn't want our scrubs. Besides, last I checked Paul Allen was the richest NBA owner and had about $10 bil more than the second richest owner. I doubt he's in any kind of a hurry to start giving away good players just so he can save a few bucks.

exstatic
07-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Portland doesn't want our scrubs. Besides, last I checked Paul Allen was the richest NBA owner and had about $10 bil more than the second richest owner. I doubt he's in any kind of a hurry to start giving away good players just so he can save a few bucks.

It's not about "saving a few bucks". If they could sign Lee, keep Pryz, AND sign a FA next summer, they'd probably do it. They can't though, because of cap room, or lack thereof. The only way to get it is to have ending contracts. Enter: Spurs.

I'm not completely averse to Pryz, but to lighten Portland's 2010 cap load like that, they MUST include Rudy in any deal.

coyotes_geek
07-08-2009, 07:28 AM
It's not about "saving a few bucks". If they could sign Lee, keep Pryz, AND sign a FA next summer, they'd probably do it. They can't though, because of cap room, or lack thereof. The only way to get it is to have ending contracts. Enter: Spurs.

Or they can just keep Pryzbilla, extend Roy and Aldridge, sign Lee and have their MLE to use on a FA next year, as well as having a whole slew of young tradeable assets to work with, and avoid helping out a conference rival in the process.

I'm not completely averse to Pryz, but to lighten Portland's 2010 cap load like that, they MUST include Rudy in any deal.

:lol

Yes, clearly Pryzbilla for Bonner&Finley is so lopsided in our favor that Portland must kick in Fernandez to even things out. Come to think of it we should probably insist on Batum too.

GSH
07-08-2009, 07:30 AM

Lee's agent is talking about $12M per season. That's not going to happen, but it's looking like Portland would seriously pay him something in the neighborhood of $10M. Hard to believe, but that's what it looks like.

That's a serious chunk of cap space. And when you consider how important Aldridge and Roy are to their future? And the fact that half the teams in the league have maneuvered to have lots of space next season? Portland needs to keep some cap space for those two guys.

That's why I said - if they don't deal Przybilla this year, they will next year. And if he's playing short minutes behind Oden, Aldridge, and Lee? He's worth a lot more now than he will be then.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-08-2009, 07:34 AM
Strange time to start a thread like this given the impending answer on Dice, but I like the idea. Pryzbilla would be a great fit for us.

I like the sound of that! I think I might be as infatuated with Rudy as you are. :lol

JamStone
07-08-2009, 07:36 AM
Only thing might be if it conceivably helps the Spurs, it probably won't happen as Pritchard loves to cockblock the Spurs.

mountainballer
07-08-2009, 08:29 AM
there are quite a few very good reasons why such a trade could be possible and would help both teams.
and IMO the only valid point, why it is still more unlikely than likely is the question coyote_geek asked: why should Pritchard trade with the Spurs and risk to make us stronger?

back to the reasons for the Blazers: if they trade just Przybilla for Fin+Matt, they open an additional cap space of 1 million $. and this might be crucial when they are serious about getting either Lee or Odom.
especially when going for Lee. they would get better position to frontload the contract, which would make it even tougher for the Knicks to match, when they have to sacrifice more cap space for 2010. (and we learned that the cap will likely go down significantly next year)
it's right that the Blazers might want to keep Przybilla as long as they don't know about Oden, but on the other hand, it seems as if they now are trying to add a big anyhow. so Przybilla would become an insurance for a back up player.

Spurs once tried to sign Przybilla for the full MLE, so they really liked him.
(I better not think about it, if he had signed, Spurs wouldn't have signed Butler and consequently would not have sacrificed Scola to get rid of Butler.)
if Spurs add McDyess, Przybilla would be a very nice complementary piece for the back court. Tim-Dice-Przybilla-Blair-Haislip would be a front court rotation, that could match up perfectly with almost every front court in the league. Spurs could also add some teasers to get this done. (Gist rights, future 2nd rounders).
makes much sense.

alamo50
07-08-2009, 08:32 AM
hell no!