PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical question of the week!

LnGrrrR
07-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Let's say Boston, for some reason, trades Rondo. They decided "Let's shoot for the moon this year and who cares about the next decade." Now they need a starting PG badly.

Which PGs would they target? Which would work well with Boston? And which are available? Random guesses below, with ratings on how good I think they'd be with the C's.

My list:

1) Jason Kidd - The classic veteran signing, he'd bring the usual veteran qualities. He's not on E yet, but I'd say he's probably at half to a quarter tank. Would the Celts have the bench available to limit his minutes? 7/10

2) Steve Nash - Not available unless Phoenix was willing to blow things up completely, but it might be a good signing. Nash works well with good players, and he'd be able to get the ball inside to KG, or outside to PP or Ray. However, his absolute lack of defense means there's no way I could see him meshing well with Boston... even KG can't work a miracle like that. 5/10

3) Mike Bibby - I loved him when he was on the Kings, but haven't seen much of him since. Assuming Boston could get him on the books for a decent amount of cash, he'd be admirable in the role, but definitely not worth it for Boston unless they could get something better in the deal. At this point in their careers, I'd put Rondo over Bibby. 7/10

Who else is out there on the market? Who could Boston get in a trade?

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Bibby would be the best fit of the three, everyone knows I would say this but Nash would be a horrible fit.

Muser
07-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Bibby would be the best fit by a long shot.

JamStone
07-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't think the Celtics do that, but if they do that and don't get a starting PG in return for Rondo, then Andre Miller.

Bob Lanier
07-01-2009, 04:37 PM
What conceivable player could the Celtics get in exchange for Rondo who's better than Rondo?

The TroutBum
07-01-2009, 04:39 PM
What conceivable player could the Celtics get in exchange for Rondo who's better than Rondo?

No shit. As much as I hate that ugly sack of whale testicles, I'd rather have Rondo than any of those players listed.

Brazil
07-01-2009, 05:04 PM
I'm quite puzzled about the Celts shopping Rondo. Why in hell would they shop a kid with such a potential ?

Allanon
07-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm quite puzzled about the Celts shopping Rondo. Why in hell would they shop a kid with such a potential ?

Rondo's a terrible shooter. Not just because he misses but because he doesn't have good shooting form. Rondo's poor shooting really hurt the Celtics in the 2nd round versus the Magic.

To get better, Rondo would have to start all over with his shooting form.

JKidd ain't the answer
Steve Nash...is he last year Steve Nash or Steve Nash of 2 year's ago? If he's 2007 Nash, Celtics would be unbeatable.
Mike Bibby also had a down year...in fact he's been in a downhill run for some time now.

Aside from impossible to get guys like Tony Parker, CP3, DWill, there isn't a better PG out there. Rondo is a bad fit for the Celtics but they won't get equal value for him in trade.

Cleveland Steamer
07-01-2009, 06:21 PM
I think atleast one person has already posted a hypothetical this week.

ginobili's bald spot
07-01-2009, 06:21 PM

I don't understand it either. Seems like a panic move by Ainge to me.

Brazil
07-01-2009, 09:20 PM
[quote=Allanon;3512342]Rondo's a terrible shooter. Not just because he misses but because he doesn't have good shooting form. Rondo's poor shooting really hurt the Celtics in the 2nd round versus the Magic.

To get better, Rondo would have to start all over with his shooting form.

[quote]

Allanon he is very young he has a lot time to correct that at short term he just needs to improve his shot selection.
On the other hand he is quick, creates easy baskets for him or his team mates, rebound and pass damn well. Dude he put a triple D stat during the playoffs ! Next year I think he will just make 4 M$ one of the best quality price ratio of the league...

Spursfan092120
07-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Rondo is a LOT better than Bibby...Kidd and Nash wouldn't happen in a straight up deal. Boston couldn't get equal value for Rondo.

Allanon
07-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Allanon he is very young he has a lot time to correct that at short term he just needs to improve his shot selection.
On the other hand he is quick, creates easy baskets for him or his team mates, rebound and pass damn well. Dude he put a triple D stat during the playoffs ! Next year I think he will just make 4 M$ one of the best quality price ratio of the league...

I agree he's a good player, maybe Top 7 Point Guard. He's just not good for the Celtics because they aren't a particularly good outside shooting team. Only great shooters they have are Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. Eddy House is too inconsistent.

With Rondo, teams can just leave him alone outside and stay home on Ray Allen. Rondo helps with his penetration but really hurts with his poor shooting. If he can go from a bad shooter to a solid outside shooter like Tony Parker, he would be alot better.

On a great 3 point shooting team with tons of shooters like the Magic, Rondo would be a killer.

VivaPopovich
07-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Bibby, he would be the least expensive

I really dont understand how Rondo trade rumors arose out of nowhere, unless there's some real locker room drama we all don't know about. Because in the playoffs he was amazing. He had a real breakout year. He should have been in the discussion for most improved player.

LnGrrrR
07-02-2009, 07:17 AM
I don't know why they keep putting Rondo in trade rumors either. I don't think we can get good value back for him. His shooting is poor, and it did hurt that they could lay off of him, but hopefully he'll improve that in the offseason.