PDA

View Full Version : Has Peter Holt lost his mind??

Da Spurs
07-01-2009, 07:01 PM
I am still flabbergasted at the Jefferson deal. Quick calculations show that we'll pay at least $8 million in luxury tax this year with a potential to go up to $11 million depending on how they fill the roster. I think that automatically gives spots to Blair and McClinton since second round picks are the cheapest hit on the luxury tax. I don't see them filling 15 spots, maybe only 13 at this point. Bringing back Bowen and Oberto for the vet minimum is still twice as expensive on the luxury tax as 2nd rounders but still a fairly cheap way to fill the roster. Is it possible that if we don't get the one or two guys we are targeting with the MLE that they go cheap and pick up somebody for a small portion of it? I'm starting to lean in that direction. If we don't get Sheed or Dice, we aren't going to use the full MLE. I hope I'm wrong but just how much does Holt and gang want to gamble?

It's very obvious Holt is rolling the dice on this one. He's basically investing an additional minimum $8 million on the team with the hope that they give you that return with an NBA crown. Someone once told me that each home playoff game is worth $1 million. I have no idea if that is true or not, but if it is somewhat close, then we certainly have to get to the finals to have a chance to make the return on the Jefferson investment.

In this current economy, it's really a ballsy thing to do and I have to commend Peter Holt and the Spurs owners for making the decision. It sure would have been tough to pull the trigger if it was my money.:lobt2:

Spursfan092120
07-01-2009, 07:02 PM
The guy is showing that he really respects what Tim Duncan has done for this franchise by giving him a shot at 1 or maybe even 2 rings before he retires...good call, Peter.

toki9
07-01-2009, 07:04 PM
What's the minimum allowed roster #? 13 or 14? I thought it was 14, but not sure.

Da Spurs
07-01-2009, 07:05 PM

RGMCSE
07-01-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't think Holt would just spend money on a whim. Sure he has a team of accountants and money savvy FO that are confident they will see a return. Honestly if all goes well SA is poised for a deep run in the playoffs. I wouldn't worry too much.

blizz
07-01-2009, 07:06 PM
:bang

barbacoataco
I hate to be lame, but I wonder if there is any chance that the Spurs still plan to trade Manu and get back closer to the cap. I'm not saying I hope this happens, just that it could be a possibility.

Kindergarten Cop
What's the minimum allowed roster #? 13 or 14? I thought it was 14, but not sure.

13 total with 12 on the active roster.

toki9
07-01-2009, 07:07 PM

Thanks...and to Kindergarten Cop as well.

MarHill
07-01-2009, 07:08 PM
I am still flabbergasted at the Jefferson deal. Quick calculations show that we'll pay at least $8 million in luxury tax this year with a potential to go up to $11 million depending on how they fill the roster. I think that automatically gives spots to Blair and McClinton since second round picks are the cheapest hit on the luxury tax. I don't see them filling 15 spots, maybe only 13 at this point. Bringing back Bowen and Oberto for the vet minimum is still twice as expensive on the luxury tax as 2nd rounders but still a fairly cheap way to fill the roster. Is it possible that if we don't get the one or two guys we are targeting with the MLE that they go cheap and pick up somebody for a small portion of it? I'm starting to lean in that direction. If we don't get Sheed or Dice, we aren't going to use the full MLE. I hope I'm wrong but just how much does Holt and gang want to gamble?

It's very obvious Holt is rolling the dice on this one. He's basically investing an additional minimum $8 million on the team with the hope that they give you that return with an NBA crown. Someone once told me that each home playoff game is worth $1 million. I have no idea if that is true or not, but if it is somewhat close, then we certainly have to get to the finals to have a chance to make the return on the Jefferson investment.

In this current economy, it's really a ballsy thing to do and I have to commend Peter Holt and the Spurs owners for making the decision. It sure would have been tough to pull the trigger if it was my money.:lobt2:

Sometimes in life you have to take a good risk!! Peter Holt and the managing partners of the Spurs have been pretty frugal during this team Golden Age Period.

They understand that nothing lasts forever and are going to at least make one more run at a championship......before the Golden Age Period of the Spurs ends.

I congratulate them for going after it!! :toast

:flag:

EricB
Holt is a very smart businessman and one that I respect.

He wouldn't be going whole hog into the team like this if he didn't have support from the rest of the board and didn't think that he could get a return on his newly heavy investment.

The advertisements with Jefferson and the pushing of the jersey suggest to me the Spurs are gonna go in a way for bringing in revenue like we've never seen them go after in the past.

FkLA
If he wouldve lost his mind a couple of year ago we might have 6 or 7 rings, but oh well I still have to give him props for deciding to spend with the way the economy is.

Da Spurs
07-01-2009, 07:09 PM
I hate to be lame, but I wonder if there is any chance that the Spurs still plan to trade Manu and get back closer to the cap. I'm not saying I hope this happens, just that it could be a possibility.

I think there's more of a possiblity of not filling the MLE if we don't get the one or two guys we are targeting. Manu will not bring enough in return do to concerns about his health.

JGrice02
I could be mistaken, but I don't think the minimum contracts count toward the luxury tax. In other words, if they sign Bowen and Oberto to the minimum $1.2 million the salaries would not count against the luxury cap.

raspsa
He's just reciprocating. Remember Duncan left a lot of money on the table during his last contract negotiation. The team Superstar, the Owner, The Coach and the GM all in perfect synch.. not something you see in pro sports that often.

MarHill
07-01-2009, 07:10 PM

Manu will not be traded!!

And should not be traded!!!

Manu (like Kobe and Wade) is dynamic and cold-blooded and he's still our X-Factor in winning a championship!!!

scottspurs
07-01-2009, 07:10 PM

No:nope

MarHill
07-01-2009, 07:11 PM
he's just reciprocating. Remember duncan left a lot of money on the table during his last contract negotiation. The team superstar, the owner, the coach and the gm all in perfect synch.. Not something you see in pro sports that often.

+1

Da Spurs
07-01-2009, 07:11 PM
I could be mistaken, but I don't think the minimum contracts count toward the luxury tax. In other words, if they sign Bowen and Oberto to the minimum $1.2 million the salaries would not count against the luxury cap.

Bruno says they each count $850K against the luxury tax.

NRHector
07-01-2009, 07:12 PM
One more reason to be a proud fan of the Spurs:flag:

BillMc
07-01-2009, 07:13 PM
He's just reciprocating. Remember Duncan left a lot of money on the table during his last contract negotiation. The team Superstar, the Owner, The Coach and the GM all in perfect synch.. not something you see in pro sports that often.

Agree completely!:toast:toast:toast

It will be interesting to see if Spurs "culture" lasts beyond Pop and Duncan. Maybe if Parker stays his whole career here.

lrrr
07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Anyone know how much money the team would make from the average home playoff game? Factor in that this year the Spurs played 6-8 fewer home games than average with a decrepit bunch of role players, could be why we see Holt willing to invest back into the team.

Spursfan092120
07-01-2009, 07:18 PM
not even a possibility. Pop has already said he sees no possible options where Manu would be traded.

barbacoataco
07-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Good.

Spursmania
07-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I hope he loses his mind even more and brings in who we really need to be the Champions again.
He knows the Spurs' window for another ring is closing ...

JGrice02
07-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Bruno says they each count $850K against the luxury tax.

That's right. I forgot the league only reimburses the minimum salary up to a point. I'm sure he is correct...

meestahmeestah
07-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Anyone know how much money the team would make from the average home playoff game? Factor in that this year the Spurs played 6-8 fewer home games than average with a decrepit bunch of role players, could be why we see Holt willing to invest back into the team.

This, plus the beginning of the end of the Duncan Era, is the reason, I think. Holt & Co. only got 3 home games where they'd gotten used to 6-8. They see a tighter pocketbook and maybe a little complacency from the fans (not the diehards on Spurstalk, but the walkup crowd) and chose to re-vamp the team to get people legitimately excited again and to maybe cash in another LOB or two while they've got an all-time great suiting up.

mosdef17
07-01-2009, 07:46 PM
The money doesn't just go down the toilet. The addition of another star player, the addition of DeJuan Blair through the draft and now if we sign someone like a Rasheed Wallace through FA or whoever we end up going with will generate a lot of interest amongst the general public and Spurs fans across the world. Jersey sales and overall merchandise sales should increase accordingly. I'm sure a couple more people will renew or purchase a new season ticket because of all the hype around the Spurs. I know the cliche is "it's a business". But don't you worry, Holt will get some of that $10m luxury tax money back someway.

YoMamaIsCallin
07-01-2009, 07:51 PM
When other teams are pulling back, it's a smart move to push ahead. $8M is small compared to the revenue he'd get by getting back to the NBA Finals (where they've never lost, don't forget). Even the Lakers are retrenching a bit... notice that they sold their 1st round draft pick to the Knicks.

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Man, you're a real buzzkill.

DynastySpurs210
07-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Well by trading Tim,Manu and Parker that would clear up alot of cap space, I guess we could build around Dejuan Blair and start overs!!

bigdog
07-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Peter Holt is not broke. It's not like he doesn't have the money to spend. No matter how deep into luxury tax territory the Spurs might be, it seems like this year Peter is willing to spend the extra money to make the team better. Also, remember that Spurs Sports & Entertainment is not just Peter Holt, it's a group of investors that own the Spurs together, so Holt hasn't been spending all of his money. Believe me, he knows what he's doing. He wants to win NOW, and he's going to spend the money to put the best team possible on the court.

phyzik
07-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Peter Holt just can win on this board. :lol

I think when Tim took less money the team essentially made a promise to get things done near 2010. He is just making good on that promise and I commend him for it.

wildbill2u
07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
HAven't the Spurs banked a few checks from teams paying the luxury tax for being ove the salary cap over the years. I know each year is a P/L unto itself, but risking all is a rush once in a while.

To use a poker phrase, the Spurs are going all in.

Da Spurs
07-01-2009, 08:17 PM
No doubt the Spurs are "all in." You have to remember that not only are the Spurs paying the extra $8-$11 million in salaries but they are paying the same in luxury tax. So, let's say they end up at $9 million over the luxury tax limit or about $80 million in total salary. That's $18 million in total that they are spending over and above the usual luxury limit they abide by. Let's say they get 12 home playoff games max. Considering they'd get at least 2 without the Jefferson trade, that's 10 additional games. Comes out to $1.8 million per game. Sounds high. Jersey sales, additional ticket revenue, tv money, whatever will have to make up the difference or the Spurs will lose money next year. It's a big gamble no doubt but with Duncan at 33 and a very short window to win another title or two, Holt and the Spurs rolled the dice. Kudos!

Holt's Cat
07-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Has Peter Holt lost his mind??

Shut up Mofo I'm eating Fancy Feast.

Samr
07-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Pretty soon you're gonna see him by the side of the street, begging and holding a sign:

"I SPENT $8 MILLION IN LUXURY TAX AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY CHAMPIONSHIP."

hater
07-01-2009, 08:49 PM
maybe he is a beleiver of the "world is gonna end in 2012"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_doomsday_prediction

in2deep
07-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Mr. Peter Holt has stacked up ALL his chips. ALL and is betting it all on Black n Silver

350slk
07-01-2009, 08:53 PM
people calling him cheapo before and now calling him nuts???????

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Mr. Peter Holt has stacked up ALL his chips. ALL and is betting it all on Black n Silver

Hey. N2Deep.

LCRTZDIL3XY

MarHill
07-01-2009, 09:11 PM
people calling him cheapo before and now calling him nuts???????

People are fickle..especially fans of a sports team.

You can do the right thing and its still not enough.

This organization has done everything they can to win championships around one of the greatest players in our generation.

As a result, they have won 4 championships in 10 years. A pretty good ratio.

Have they made some roster mistakes? Yes! (All organizations have..even the mighty Lakers and Celtics)

Have they signed some bad contracts? Yes! (Rasho, Malik, Jaren Jackson) It happens....

But their frugality and willingness to keep a competitive team out there needs to be commended and appreciated.

Look at the last two years.......they have averaged 55 wins (1 division championship out of 2, and lost the division on a tie-breaker and had a legit shot to be repeat champions that year) and considering the injuries (which happens to everyone)..Spurs fans should show a little more appreciation.

But to some Spurs fans.....they act like the team only won 40 games the last two years and missed the playoffs. I think some Spurs fans would go on suicide watch if that happens!! :wow

Nothing lasts forever.....Peter Holt and the rest of the FO has decided to go after it to finish off the Spurs Golden Age!! Kudos to him and the entire FO...for wanting to win and doing it the best way possible and being a model for all sports franchises!

:toast