PDA

View Full Version : Jefferson Discusses Shock Of Trade To San Antonio

duncan228
07-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Jefferson discusses shock of trade to San Antonio (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/49648817.html)
Bob Wolfley
Milwaukee Journal

Former Milwaukee Bucks forward Richard Jefferson said he was shocked on a few levels when he learned he had been traded to the San Antonio Spurs, who did not have to lose Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli.

Jefferson made his comments Tuesday on Dan Patrick's radio show, which airs in the Milwaukee market on WSSP-AM (1250).

Jefferson said he was in North Carolina preparing to attend the funeral of his fiancée's great-grandmother when he learned he had been traded.

"I was kind of surprised," Jefferson said. "I was shocked to tell you the truth. The fact that San Antonio was able to keep their three main players was even more of a shock. It immediately got a buzz going on my phone."

Jefferson said the first Spurs player to contact him about the trade was Duncan, with whom Jefferson played on the U.S. Olympic team in 2004.

"To have the opportunity to play with him and (coach Gregg) Popovich is one of the biggest thrills I have ever had in my career," Jefferson said.

Jefferson was asked to analyze the other big trades in the NBA - Shaquille O'Neal to Cleveland from Phoenix and Vince Carter (Jefferson's former New Jersey Nets teammate) to Orlando.

"It takes one-and-a-half maybe two people to guard LeBron (James) on a given night, and it takes one-and-a-half maybe two people to guard Shaq on a given night," Jefferson said. "So now that gets even more open shots for other guys. Shaq can win a game easily, especially during the playoffs. He's very good at pacing himself and peaking at the right time. When LeBron is closing in on that lane, you can't have any hesitation. With Shaq there, there is going to be hesitation just naturally. That just makes their team even more effective."

Jefferson said he considered O'Neal's addition to the Cavaliers a bigger deal than Carter to the Magic, but he said Carter will help lift the Magic.

"Vince is really going to have a breakout season and show people that he still plays at a very, very high level," Jefferson said. "A lot of people have questioned that. I believe he can."

Jefferson said he is getting married July 11. He said some Bucks plan to attend, but not coach Scott Skiles, who was invited but cannot attend. Jefferson said there is a "very, very small guest list" for his wedding.

Patrick asked Jefferson what it was like to guard James.

"It's tough," Jefferson said. "People always assume that he is that much bigger or that much stronger. It's really not his strength. Because if you ever notice, he is not much of a post-up player. He doesn't back you down and beat you up like a Ron Artest. He just has a unique combination of skills that make it very difficult. His ball handling. His size. His strength and athleticism. There are not many players, probably ever, who have had that combination.

"His shooting range and shooting touch continue to improve," Jefferson said. "The more confidence he gets in it, it makes the rest of his game even more difficult to cover. He just has a unique set of skills that combined is just pretty much a beast."

Jefferson mentioned the 55 points James scored against the Bucks on Feb. 20 in Milwaukee last season, including 8 threes "with a couple of them coming in my face."

GooberNuts
07-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Smart guy, well-spoken, a proven baller...glad he's on the Spurs!

lefty
07-01-2009, 09:31 PM
" I was shocked when I learned I was headed to team where I would be the only dunker "

Danny.Zhu
07-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Jefferson mentioned the 55 points James scored against the Bucks on Feb. 20 in Milwaukee last season, including 8 threes "with a couple of them coming in my face."

Marcus Bryant
07-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Surprise. You're going somewhere warm and it's good.

VivaPopovich
07-01-2009, 11:21 PM
welcome to the family richard

Mugen
07-01-2009, 11:39 PM
In his defense LeBron was unstoppable the night he scored 55. He scored 16 points in like 2 minutes.

Fin would have shut him down to 54.

peskypesky
07-02-2009, 12:24 AM
does anyone know how well Jefferson usually defends Lebron...i mean other than that one game?

duncan228
07-02-2009, 12:30 AM
does anyone know how well Jefferson usually defends Lebron...i mean other than that one game?

Not sure if this will help, it's the head-to-head for 19 games.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jefferi01&p2=jamesle01

kbrury
07-02-2009, 12:33 AM
pretty even until the last quarter

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 12:37 AM
it is obvious the Bucks have way worse help defense than the NJ teams Jefferson was on, plus Lebron keeps getting better. I am sure Pop will have a game plan together so that lebron doesn't turn Jefferson's a hole into a used purple sock dropped in hair and yogurt.

no homo

mountainballer
07-02-2009, 04:13 AM

needs to improve: defensive intensity

mosdef17
07-02-2009, 08:50 AM
LeBron took some ridiculous shots that night, many really stupid shots. He was just in the zone, he would have hit those shots in anyone's face. Has nearly 0 to do with RJ. Good it happened though, may fuel some fire next time he has to guard LeBron.

Brazil
07-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Smart guy, well-spoken, a proven baller...glad he's on the Spurs!

^ this

SA210
07-02-2009, 10:24 AM
We will miss Bowen, mark my words.

Cheddz
07-02-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm very glad to have RJ on our team....takes me back to the Sean Elliott days.

smrattler
07-02-2009, 10:58 AM
So, mostly talkin about LeBron and Cavs, huh?

I thought the DP show was not on ESPN radio anymore?

kace
07-04-2009, 05:09 AM
TP on the RJ trade:

"i really had a preference for him because he's still young. and i think we really needed a player at the SF. At the SG we have yet manu and mason.

i'm very happy. Pop and the owner really did a good job. I'm very pleased that our owner wanted to spend some money to strenghten the team, because usually the spurs like to stay under the salary cap. but there, they made an effort because Jefferson has a big contract. We have a window of two years with Duncan and Ginobili to win a title. After that, it will be hard because we'll be at the end of a cycle."

http://www.sport365.fr/basket-hand-volley/basket/infos/article_330035_San-Antonio-Parker-evoque-Jefferson.shtml

jay014
07-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Listen to the segmenthttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/

HarlemHeat37
07-04-2009, 01:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyd4NPvzKQg

this was Lebron vs. the Bucks that game..absolutely ridiculous, he was just throwing up 30-footers..that last 3 was just unfair..