PDA

View Full Version : Ariza May leave Lakers

4RINGS
07-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Updated: July 1, 2009, 10:42 PM ET
Sources: Ariza may leave Lakers

Comment (http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id=4301414) Email (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4301414#) Print (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=4301414&type=story) Share (javascript:void(0);)
By Chris Broussard
ESPN.com
Archive (http://search.espn.go.com/chris-broussard/)

Trevor Ariza (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=2426)'s short but sweet stay in Los Angeles might be coming to an end.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/nba/players/65/2426.jpg
Ariza

The 24-year-old swingman, who played a key role in the Lakers' run to their 15th NBA championship, is on the verge of leaving the club, sources close to the situation said on Wednesday.
With at least five teams pursuing Ariza, the Lakers are currently unwilling to pay him more than the $5.6 million mid-level exception.
"They're letting him go," one of the sources said.
Cleveland is making a hard push for Ariza, and the Cavaliers' coaching staff was speaking with him on Wednesday. While Cleveland can only offer the mid-level as well, Ariza's disappointment with the Lakers' stance has moved other suitors ahead of his current team.
The Rockets, Clippers, Raptors and Blazers are also showing interest in Ariza. Portland and Toronto could each offer more than the mid-level exception.
If the Lakers refuse to increase their offer, it's a clear indication that they are choosing their other big free agent forward, Lamar Odom (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=617), over the younger Ariza.
Ariza averaged 8.9 points and 4.3 rebounds in the regular season for the Lakers last season. He increased his scoring to 11.3 points and had 4.2 rebounds per game in the playoffs. He had 16 points and 15 points in the last two Lakers victories in the Finals.

Those numbers were a jump over his career averages of 6.9 points and 3.8 rebounds per game. Ariza has played for three teams in his five-year career.
Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine.

xtremesteven33
07-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Lakers chosing Odom over Ariza is the most logical choice....

yavozerb
07-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Good...If he leaves LA, this offseason will go from good to great in a matter of weeks

murpjf88
07-01-2009, 09:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4301414

Trevor Ariza's short but sweet stay in Los Angeles might be coming to an end.

The 24-year-old swingman, who played a key role in the Lakers' run to their 15th NBA championship, is on the verge of leaving the club, sources close to the situation said on Wednesday.
With at least five teams pursuing Ariza, the Lakers are currently unwilling to pay him more than the $5.6 million mid-level exception.
"They're letting him go," one of the sources said.

Looks like Odom's going to be off the market.

Gino2882
07-01-2009, 09:56 PM
Eh, sounds like a bit of shady reporting...

Hard to believe Ariza would choose another team if the money is the same. I think he was a huge part of the Lakers success and would be a rather big blow to their chances of repeating. Ariza is a hell of a defender and if he continues to hit the 3 point shot he will be a nightmare SF for opposing coaches.

kbrury
07-01-2009, 09:57 PM
so who guards parker now? if ariza leaves

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Dang, if he goes to Cleveland he makes that squad much better. But it's addition by subtraction (for the Spurs) in LA...

Spurtacus
07-01-2009, 09:59 PM
If he's gone then its either Odom or Artest.

urunobili
07-01-2009, 10:00 PM
:lol at 2Cleva getting owned :lmao

:owned

holcs50
07-01-2009, 10:01 PM
That would be tight...as long a they don't replace with artest. It would be bonus to our recent additions-ariza helped them a ton in the playoffs, without him they very well could've lost to a number of teams last year. I think he's worthy more than the MLE at his age, his size, and how well he did in the playoffs i don't blame him if he goes looking for better money

lefty
07-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Would be a big loss for L.A

He made some huge plays for them lin the 2009 playoffs

Spursmania
07-01-2009, 10:03 PM
:lol at 2Cleva getting owned :lmao

:owned

Isn't that the truth.:owned

kbrury
07-01-2009, 10:04 PM
I hope he goes to the Eastern Conference, Toronto is going after Hedo though and would he accept the MLE for the cavs over the lakers? If Portland happens to get him they will have too many wings.

K-State Spur
07-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Eh, sounds like a bit of shady reporting...

Hard to believe Ariza would choose another team if the money is the same. I think he was a huge part of the Lakers success and would be a rather big blow to their chances of repeating. Ariza is a hell of a defender and if he continues to hit the 3 point shot he will be a nightmare SF for opposing coaches.

well, if he ever wants a BIG contract, he may want to go to a place where he can get more than the token shots that a roster of Kobe, Paul, and Odom will afford him. the number of shots that he got last year are just about all that will be available for him over the next few years.

now, he doesn't seem like a kid who cares too much about that. but i don't know if enough about him to say that hasn't entered his mind.

Ace9
07-01-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't think Ariza will have as much succeess as he had in LA, unless the system fits him very nicely. He's definitely a talented player but if he goes to the wrong team/not the Spurs *haha* then I see this as a win-win situation. LA loses Trevor, the Spurs don't have to worry about Ariza.

kbrury
07-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I forgot who said it but he should just take the highest offer for one year and get paid next year. Lets just hope its not in LA.

spursfan1000
07-01-2009, 10:08 PM
I would choose Ariza over Odom any day..Ariza is younger and has a bright future. He was also a big part of the Lakers success last year in the season and playoffs.Id see Ariza going to Orlando if he dosent return to LA and Magic don't resign Hedo Turkglou

picnroll
07-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Without Ariza, unless Lakers can pick up another defensive stud, they bettr hope Manu isn't healthy going into he playoffs. With Jefferson and Manu they be screwed.

DJB
07-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I would choose Ariza over Odom any day..Ariza is younger and has a bright future

Pffft. :rolleyes

benefactor
07-01-2009, 10:17 PM
I would choose Ariza over Odom any day..Ariza is younger and has a bright future. He was also a big part of the Lakers success last year in the season and playoffs.Id see Ariza going to Orlando if he dosent return to LA and Magic don't resign Hedo Turkglou
Fail.

EricB
07-01-2009, 10:18 PM
No Ariza means the Lakers fall below the Spurs.

I don't know what the Lakers are thinking choosing Odom over Ariza.
Thats retarded.

EricB
07-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Fail.

Uh not fail.

Ariza is a developing stud wing whos only 24 and was gonna develop into a damn good player with the Lakers and he was in his hometown.

Kupchack=idiot.

benefactor
07-01-2009, 10:20 PM
No Ariza means the Lakers fall below the Spurs.

I don't know what the Lakers are thinking choosing Odom over Ariza.
Thats retarded.
Fail again.

Odom is a game changing player on both ends of the floor. When he is on the Lakers are pretty much unstoppable. Ariza is just a good role player with upside at this point.

hater
Odom > Ariza

come on. Lakers would be losing more if they let Odom go

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
Well it looks like Artest will head to either Cleveland or LA

Spursmania
Now, if we could only get a big man like Sheed....:king

benefactor
07-01-2009, 10:30 PM
So they are saying that he won't take less money to stay on the greatest basketball franchise ever? The nerve of him...

exstatic
07-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Ariza's best bet is to sign a two year guaranteed deal, with a player opt out next summer. Some spurned suitor is bound to overpay him next year.

Danny.Zhu
07-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Sign Trevor with MLE for 5 years and then we can trade Roger and Michael for a big guy.

kbrury
07-01-2009, 10:38 PM
lol

Vinnie_Johnson
07-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Good screw the Lakers.

Mugen
07-01-2009, 10:42 PM
anybody that would choose Odom over Ariza at this stage of their careers is a freaking idiot.

Ariza is developing into one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and also a pretty decent scoring option.

Odom is inconsistent and not worth anything close to 10 mil a year

The laker would be stupid to choose odom over ariza considering they already have Bynum and Gasol

IMO, Ariza at 7-8 mil > Odom at 9-10 mil and its not even close.

SPURSGOAT
07-01-2009, 10:43 PM
See this is what the Fakers get for Kobe being such a greedy ass! He could have taken less money like Duncan did a while back... shows right there he doesn't care about his team...

Baseline
07-01-2009, 10:48 PM
What people always forget about is that most players can't stand playing with Bryant. Odom finally stopped complaining about it publicly a couple of years ago and decided to just coast and get paid.

But I would think a talented young wing like Ariza would just bolt. Bryant is a tyrant who thinks he should take every single shot. Look at Gasol - he shot 60% in the Finals and only got 10-11 shots a game. That's absurd.

Bryant - we're talking about a guy who refused to ride in the same float with the mayor of LA because he didn't want the mayor "pimping his popularity." I don't know that there are even words for that.

Trev, go play with a real teammate and a real basketball player - play with LeBron.

Danny.Zhu
07-01-2009, 11:02 PM
anybody that would choose Odom over Ariza at this stage of their careers is a freaking idiot.

Ariza is developing into one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and also a pretty decent scoring option.

The laker would be stupid to choose odom over ariza considering they already have Bynum and Gasol

I think, just similar to the Spurs, Lakers are trying to get more championships before Kobe retires. They cannot wait for Ariza to grow stronger, so they choose Odom who can provide support right away.

Mugen
07-01-2009, 11:05 PM
I think, just similar to the Spurs, Lakers are trying to get more championships before Kobe retires. They cannot wait for Ariza to grow stronger, so they choose Odom who can provide support right away.

umm they won a championship this year and ariza was a big part of that, arguably more so than odom.

galvatron3000
07-01-2009, 11:18 PM
Lakers are probably looking to sign Artest if Ariza is leaving, that's the more likely reason Ariza will leave. Just a thought

Mugen
07-01-2009, 11:22 PM
ron ron is a ballstopper who cannot exist on the same team with someone like Kobe.

galvatron3000
07-01-2009, 11:23 PM
ron ron is a ballstopper who cannot exist on the same team with someone like Kobe.

we'll see

yavozerb
07-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Fail again.

Odom is a game changing player on both ends of the floor. When he is on the Lakers are pretty much unstoppable. Ariza is just a good role player with upside at this point.

That statement fails...Ariza's defense won more games for the lakers in the playoffs than Odoms entire game. Odom is a nightmare matchup for the spurs without a doubt, but his playoff games this year were sub par at best.

Ditty
07-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Sign Trevor with MLE for 5 years and then we can trade Roger and Michael for a big guy.

finley and bonner for a big guy:toast

spurs need to make a offer and try to get a big with the LLE(Mcdyess) IMO

kbrury
07-01-2009, 11:31 PM
wow that would be great

lol

Samr
07-01-2009, 11:32 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9vS6tdIJtnM/SjXTT1g1VVI/AAAAAAAAACs/7pCpQ9Zqd2c/s320/IMG_3306.JPG

Well, at least he went out on a high note.

2Cleva
07-02-2009, 05:58 AM
Getting owned? Please.

So Ariza is headed to Cleveland or the like for MLE instead of taking the MLE with LA? Yeah right.

Name any player who has done that before when the team was willing to match. Don't worry - I'll wait.

This is how David Lee - his agent works. Lee, a low-bit agent who has only two NBA players (unfortunately the other is Bynum) makes noise like this. He wanted 7-8 mil from LA out the bat but no one is offering that and LA won't overpay just because.

Name the wager, I still say Ariza stays.

NickiRasgo
07-02-2009, 05:58 AM
Odom still better than Ariza.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 06:41 AM
That statement fails...Ariza's defense won more games for the lakers in the playoffs than Odoms entire game. Odom is a nightmare matchup for the spurs without a doubt, but his playoff games this year were sub par at best.
Lol...what playoffs were you watching? Sub par? He increased his production from the season across the board. The playoffs I watched saw Odom produce a line of 12ppg, 9reb, 2ast while shooting FIFTY ONE PERCENT from distance. He had seven double/doubles and pulled down almost 3 offensive rebounds per game.

Ariza is a nice player...but Odom is a match up nightmare for any team. If the Lakers plan on winning any more titles while Kobe is on the team they have to keep Odom.

Spurs Brazil
07-02-2009, 07:25 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60272/20090702/ariza_to_receive_big_payday_from_blazers_or_raptor s/

Ariza To Receive Big Payday From Blazers Or Raptors

Jul 02, 2009 2:10 AM EST
According to a Twitter post by Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski, Trevor Ariza will become a very rich man at the hands of the team that loses out on Hedo Turkoglu.

League executives believe Portland or Toronto, whichever team does not sign Turkoglu, will offer Ariza between $32 million and $40 million deal.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2009, 07:28 AM

if ur in a position to win win now, then you go with odom for a short contract....

ir ur rebuilding and need youth with exp, then you get ariza...

ariza at 7-8m is overpaying, but someone will overpay for his services,

you can get similar type of players in the league who can do what ariza does at a cheaper price

2Cleva
07-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Brian Windhorst: Cavs in thick of it for Artest, Ariza or R.Wallace.Though I get the impression Ariza may be trying to sweeten LAL offer. 2moro may be wild

Also, Toronto is backing out the Hedo race (he's going to Portland) and Tor gearing up to make a big offer to David Lee of the Knicks, with the other option being Kleiza.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/659530

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/15850497

Again - don't get caught up in the agent hype.

coyotes_geek
07-02-2009, 07:53 AM
While I certainly hope Ariza bolts and screws the lakers, nothing is done until there's ink on paper so there's no reason to get excited yet.

urunobili
07-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Odom chokes... without Ariza I am not sure the Lakers would have won it all this year... he was key...

yavozerb
07-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Lol...what playoffs were you watching? Sub par? He increased his production from the season across the board. The playoffs I watched saw Odom produce a line of 12ppg, 9reb, 2ast while shooting FIFTY ONE PERCENT from distance. He had seven double/doubles and pulled down almost 3 offensive rebounds per game.

Ariza is a nice player...but Odom is a match up nightmare for any team. If the Lakers plan on winning any more titles while Kobe is on the team they have to keep Odom.

Lol, I was watching the same playoffs you were watching..Odom had a total of 14 games in the playoffs where he averaged only 7pts and 8 boards. For someone who played 30-35 minutes per game in the playoffs, those are just mediocre numbers. I am not saying he is not important to the lakers, I just saw many more key plays from Ariza than I did from odom who has way to many off days for someone who will get paid close to 10 mil..

urunobili
07-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Odom makes them contenders... Ariza makes them champs...

superbigtime
07-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Hes gone, lakers will go after Artest.........Ariza isnt worth more than 5mil pr year and LA knows it.

Well, Lakers don't seem to know how much Walton and Vujacic are worth because both of those guys are way overpaid.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Lol, I was watching the same playoffs you were watching..Odom had a total of 14 games in the playoffs where he averaged only 7pts and 8 boards. For someone who played 30-35 minutes per game in the playoffs, those are just mediocre numbers. I am not saying he is not important to the lakers, I just saw many more key plays from Ariza than I did from odom who has way to many off days for someone who will get paid close to 10 mil..
The bad is easy to point out. Hell, Ariza averaged almost the same amount of minutes as Odom and managed to have 14 games with less than 5 rebounds and 9 games where he didn't crack double digits.

Both players made lots of key plays, so your argument there is basically opinion. The fact of the matter is that Odom is in his prime and Ariza is still an up and coming player...albeit a good one. The Lakers only have a couple of more years where Kobe can impact the game like he does. Odom is bigger, stronger, rebounds better on both ends and is a better ball handler than Ariza. He can also play and guard the SG, SF and PF position.

It's not a wide gap by any means, but Odom's versatility gives him the nod.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Odom makes them contenders... Ariza makes them champs...
They need both to be champs.

Spurs16212
07-02-2009, 09:35 AM
According to Realgm.com

It is saying that Portland or Toronto is set to offer between 32 and 40 million to Ariza....... If he were to go to Portland, would that not free up either Travis Outlaw or Nicholas Batum?

Either one of the two would be great with the Spurs if they can come up with the right trade.....

toki9
07-02-2009, 09:41 AM
According to Realgm.com

It is saying that Portland or Toronto is set to offer between 32 and 40 million to Ariza....... If he were to go to Portland, would that not free up either Travis Outlaw or Nicholas Batum?

Either one of the two would be great with the Spurs if they can come up with the right trade.....

Portland seems to be just stockpiling players...at some point all these players will affect their chemistry (i think/hope)...

elbamba
07-02-2009, 09:42 AM
He is a glorified role player who looked good playing for LA. He is not worth 40 million. The team that pays that will be regretting the decision for a very long time...4-5 years I would say.

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Odom was CLEEEEAARRRRRLLLLY more valuable to the Lakers this year..he was giving them double-doubles, playing solid defense, and leading the bench unit most of the time..he also gives them a 3rd big man with great length, which is part of the reason LA was so good this year..

Ariza is a nice player, and it'll be a blow to the Lakers, but he can be replaced..

I just hope they sign Ron Artest..ballhog with horrible shot selection, and no longer has the ability to play great defense, despite being named to the all-NBA defensive team this season..

FvckMavs
07-02-2009, 09:45 AM
He is a glorified role player who looked good playing for LA. He is not worth 40 million. The team that pays that will be regretting the decision for a very long time...4-5 years I would say.

I don't care how much he is worth. I hope other teams offer much more than the Lakers.

2Cleva
07-02-2009, 09:47 AM
If Trevor Ariza feels slighted that all the Lakers can offer him is the mid-level exception, it's not clear where he's going to do better than that on the open market. One rival executive believes the Lakers have prioritized Ariza over their other unrestricted free agent, Lamar Odom, and several sources believe they still have a chance to retain both. The Spurs have expressed interest in Odom, as well as Marcin Gortat (courted by the Rockets), and Antonio McDyess.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/15844326

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Just wondering why we need this thread in the Spurs forum as well as the NBA Forum..didn't know Trevor was a Spur.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Ariza needs to get he head out of his derriere. He is not worth more than the MLE.

yavozerb
07-02-2009, 09:54 AM
The more I think about the lakers situation the more I think Odom has to be a priority over ariza (Yes, I changed my stance on this). I still think Ariza had a bigger role in their championship, but, I do agree that it would much more difficult to replace a versatile big man rather than a defending SF.

Muser
07-02-2009, 09:56 AM
The more I think about the lakers situation the more I think Odom has to be a priority over ariza (Yes, I changed my stance on this). I still think Ariza had a bigger role in their championship, but, I do agree that it would much more difficult to replace a versatile big man rather than a defending SF.

Yep, Odom is who gives the Lakers there advantage over nearly every team in the league, lose him and they lose a big piece.

galvatron3000
07-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Lakers are probably looking to sign Artest if Ariza is leaving, that's the more likely reason Ariza will leave. Just a thought

no surprise if it happens

spurspokesman
07-02-2009, 06:00 PM
See this is what the Fakers get for Kobe being such a greedy ass! He could have taken less money like Duncan did a while back... shows right there he doesn't care about his team...
I spoke to a friend about this earlier. I would like nothing more to see kobe agonize in defeat at the hands of SA

SpurOutofTownFan
07-02-2009, 07:45 PM
I can see the spurs pulling a steal on this one now.

KSeal
07-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Ariza is a complete goner, probably to Cleveland.