PDA

View Full Version : Rockets Making Hard Pitch to Martin Gortat

Indazone
07-02-2009, 01:00 AM
Rockets Make Their Pitch to Marcin Gortat

Jun 30, 2009

The Houston Rockets aren't allowing any room for confusion regarding their feelings for free agent center Marcin Gortat. They want the Polish center on their team and they're making sure he knows it.

Rockets' General Manager Daryl Morey rang the door bell at Gortat's Orlando-area home at 12:01 AM July 1 - otherwise known as the beginning of the free agent frenzy - as part of a personal gesture to express Houston's desire to bring the big man into the fold. The Rockets have had Gortat on their radar screen since the midway point of the '08-09 season, when they - like many around the league - noticed the 25-year old post player regularly flashing his potential in the paint.

What's more, Morey is asking fans to aid in the recruitment process by sending Gortat a note at [email protected] to show how much they want him in a Rockets' uniform next season.

Playing behind Orlando's All-Star Center Dwight Howard, Gortat's playing time was limited; hence his rather pedestrian averages of 3.8 points, 4.5 rebounds and .8 blocked shots per game this season. However, Gortat's per minute numbers were consistently solid and when he was afforded the opportunity to receive more playing time, such as his starting assignment in Orlando's December 15 game against Golden State, he routinely delivered the goods.

That pattern played itself out in the playoffs as well. Gortat was rock-solid in relief of Howard in the postseason and during his one starting assignment - Orlando's series-clinching win against Philadelphia - the man known as the Polish Hammer came through once more, stuffing the stat sheet with 11 points and 15 rebounds.

Gortat figures to attract plenty of interest around the league this summer - as talented, young bigs always do. And since Gortat is a restricted free agent, Orlando will have seven days to match whichever offer sheet he chooses to sign.

La Peace
07-02-2009, 01:02 AM
He would be perfect for the Rockets. Gortat-Scola-Battier is a top heavy defensive front line. I'm diggin it.

Indazone
07-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Man, if we lose Artest, we actually gotta keep T-Mac and hope that Yao comes back later in the season.

Ditty
07-02-2009, 01:08 AM
i heard that orlando is going to match it

Indazone
07-02-2009, 01:27 AM
Orlando doens't have the money to match.

KSeal
07-02-2009, 01:28 AM
He would be perfect for the Rockets. Gortat-Scola-Battier is a top heavy defensive front line. I'm diggin it.

Why do you write everything in bold?

VivaPopovich
07-02-2009, 02:12 AM

don't forget aaron brooks and tmac in the front court. sounds promising. rick adelman is good in utilizing the players he has. i dont think any of the top coaches could do as well as he is in the depleted situations he's been in

Obstructed_View
07-02-2009, 09:15 AM
don't forget aaron brooks and tmac in the front court. sounds promising. rick adelman is good in utilizing the players he has. i dont think any of the top coaches could do as well as he is in the depleted situations he's been in

That would be good.