PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs get in line to woo Wallace

migs21
07-02-2009, 06:25 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_get_in_line_to_woo_Wallace.html

The Spurs put in a call to representatives for Rasheed Wallace not long after NBA free agency opened at 11:01 on Tuesday night.

Now, the wait is on.

“There's interest, mutual interest, I would say,” Wallace's agent, Bill Strickland, said Wednesday. “I would say the Spurs have a job to do.”

Wallace, considered to be the top free-agent target for a Spurs team in desperate search for a big man, fielded similar calls from Orlando, Cleveland, Boston and elsewhere in the first few minutes of free agency.

All of the above teams, including the Spurs, can make Wallace approximately the same offer, a short-term deal starting at the mid-level exception, expected to be worth around $5.6 million.

The Spurs have long coveted the 6-foot-11 Wallace, who will turn 35 in September, as a perimeter shooting big who can stretch the floor for Tim Duncan.

With the money sure to be more or less equal, Wallace will spend the next several days, or longer, deciding where he'd most rather spend at least the next season of his life. The first day a free agent can sign a contract is July 8.

Boston is widely considered the frontrunner for Wallace's services, due in large part to a personal pitch from Celtics All-Star Kevin Garnett.

Though he is at the top of their list, the Spurs are casting a wide net in their hunt for a big fish.

According to a league source, the Spurs also put in calls to Antonio McDyess, Wallace's soon-to-be former teammate in Detroit, as well as Dallas forward Brandon Bass during the opening throes of free agency.

The Spurs are also believed to have interest in Orlando center Marcin Gortat, who is a restricted free agent. After taking on Vince Carter's pricetag in a trade last week, however, the Magic are not expected to match any substantial offer Gortat receives.

“I think we're going to be able to fill our needs,” Spurs general manger R.C. Buford said.

Elsewhere, another veteran big man — former Spurs forward Fabricio Oberto — was preparing to hit the free-agent market as well. Oberto, dealt through Milwaukee to Detroit as part of last week's Richard Jefferson deal, was waived Wednesday by the Pistons.

Once he clears waivers July 8, Oberto would be free to sign with any team. By NBA rule, he would have to wait 20 days before becoming eligible to re-sign with the Spurs.

Events in the free-agent market between now and then are likely to figure heavily on whether the Spurs make a push to bring back Oberto.

MaNu4Tres
07-02-2009, 06:34 AM
Another hand job of an article. So Oberto may be back. Wow I couldn't see that coming.

Ice009
07-02-2009, 06:42 AM
“There's interest, mutual interest, I would say,” Wallace's agent, Bill Strickland, said Wednesday. “I would say the Spurs have a job to do.”

I'd like to know what Rasheed's agent means when he says this.

Is he saying that the Spurs are nowhere near the top of Rasheed's list and they're going to have to woo his ass off to bring him in or what?

It can't be about the money can it? Or could it have something to do with the length of the contract?

Do you think the Spurs are going to meet with Rasheed in person or would they have already discussed everything with him by now?

MaNu4Tres
07-02-2009, 06:50 AM

Is he saying that the Spurs are nowhere near the top of Rasheed's list and they're going to have to woo his ass off to bring him in or what?

It can't be about the money can it? Or could it have something to do with the length of the contract?

Do you think the Spurs are going to meet with Rasheed in person or would they have already discussed everything with him by now?

I think his agent is saying that Rasheed is interest, but with other contenders interested in his services, Spurs will need to do their " due diligence" and make it apparent they want his services. In other words, yes more than likely he meant Spurs are going to have to " woo" him.

raspsa
07-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Hey Rasheed, why do you want to wear yourself out in the regular season battling Shaq and Dwight in the East.. come west man!

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-02-2009, 07:15 AM

...Or could it have something to do with the length of the contract?

I'd bet on this.

completely deck
07-02-2009, 07:18 AM
The Spurs FO hardly ever disappoints, but come on... Land this one.

DBMethos
07-02-2009, 07:29 AM
“I think we're going to be able to fill our needs,” Spurs general manger R.C. Buford said.

What I get from that is..."Calm the fuck down, SpursTalk...I got this shit."

Dro210
07-02-2009, 07:31 AM
Man, I was really hoping the Celtics had retired #30 with as many as they've retired, but nope.

That would have sealed the deal for us.

Rummpd
07-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Time for Duncan, TP and Manu to up the ante and tell Wallace you come here I/we can guarantee you another title and its is a hell of a lot warmer here and probably more accomidating to other racial and ethnic groups by reputation than Boston (to open a can of worms but there is a widespread perception that Boston is not a great place for minority athletes to hang out and live in between games).
Plus NO INCOME TAX!

Extra Stout
07-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Time for Duncan, TP and Manu to up the ante and tell Wallace you come here I/we can guarantee you another title and its is a hell of a lot warmer here and probably more accomidating to other racial and ethnic groups by reputation than Boston (to open a can of worms but there is a widespread perception that Boston is not a great place for minority athletes to hang out and live in between games).
Plus NO INCOME TAX!
:rolleyes That was necessary.

Phenomanul
07-02-2009, 08:28 AM
RC Buford better call John Woo...

tmtcsc
07-02-2009, 08:49 AM
If he doesn't come here, I hope he goes to Boston. They aren't going to do shit. Let him have to bang through Howard and/or O'Neal to get to the Finals.

Here's a neat stat for you. In 10 of the last 11 years, the only teams to represent the west in the finals have been the Spurs or the Lakers. Want a crack at the Finals, go to one of those places. I don't think he'd want to go to LA.

We'll see. Sheed would be my first FA choice but we have options if it doesn't work out.

Here's my wish list:

1. Sheed
2. Camby (via trade)
3. McDyess
4. Birdman
5. Gortat
6. Varejao (SP?)

hater
07-02-2009, 08:50 AM
sounds like the agent is hinting, it's on the Spurs to win or lose Sheed

Kermit
07-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Plus NO INCOME TAX!

/1960'd

ATRAIN
07-02-2009, 08:57 AM
If we get Sheed and Gortat or Mcdyess and all I can say is...........CHAMPIONSHIP!!

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Hope I'm not reading too much into it, but he makes a note about Rasheed spending the next season of his life somewhere. Couple that with what his agent said about us having work to do...

Perhaps they are looking for a deal for more than one year but SA only offered one year.

spurspokesman
07-02-2009, 09:01 AM
sounds like the agent is hinting, it's on the Spurs to win or lose Sheed
Yup. But the spurs can win it without him if he decides else where. We would be better off with him though

timvp
07-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah, that's a weird quote. To me it means that Rasheed is going elsewhere and the Spurs have a "job to do" to keep that from happening. But it could obviously have different meanings.

If Sheed opts for Boston, I'm guessing it'll be in the next day or two that he announces his intentions.

timvp
07-02-2009, 09:05 AM
If the Spurs get Sheed or Gortat or Mcdyess I will be happy

Fixed.

MarCowMar
07-02-2009, 09:16 AM
“I would say the Spurs have a job to do.”

I think he means that Sheed wants to go to the Spurs as his first choice, but not at MLE or less. The Spurs "job" is to find a way to pay > MLE for Sheed.

IMO. :)

Mel_13
07-02-2009, 09:22 AM
“I would say the Spurs have a job to do.”

I think he means that Sheed wants to go to the Spurs as his first choice, but not at MLE or less. The Spurs "job" is to find a way to pay > MLE for Sheed.

IMO. :)

I think you're on the right track, but there is no way to be found for the Spurs to offer more than the MLE. To do the Gordon and CV signings the Pistons will have to renounce their Bird Rights on Sheed. A S&T for more than the MLE is then impossible.

It may be much simpler. Perhaps both teams are talking about 2yr deals and the "job" for the Spurs is to guarantee that third year.

dbestpro
07-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Cleveland, Boston, Orlando and San Antonio are all contenders with cool dudes to woo Wallace and all have the same amount of money to pay. So it comes down to one thing. The length of the contract. My bet is everyone is offering a two year contract. The first team to offer 3 years guaranteed or 4 years with the forth year partially guaranteed will get Wallace.

timvp
07-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah, it very well may come down to that third year. With this many teams after him, that could be the difference.

Rasheed at the MLE for two years is a good buy. Three years? That increases the riskiness a lot ... but you still probably have to do it. Especially if McDyess is off the board.

Marcus Bryant
07-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Yeah, it very well may come down to that third year. With this many teams after him, that could be the difference.

Rasheed at the MLE for two years is a good buy. Three years? That increases the riskiness a lot ... but you still probably have to do it. Especially if McDyess is off the board.

I think it's all about the next two seasons, as far as bringing another Larry O'Brien(s) to SA. And let's not forget that Jefferson's current contract ends in 2011. That would make a 3rd year to Wallace at the MLE much more palatable.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-02-2009, 09:32 AM
I think it's all about the next two seasons, as far as bringing another Larry O'Brien(s) to SA. And let's not forget that Jefferson's current contract ends in 2011. That would make a 3rd year to Wallace at the MLE much more palatable.

Don't we have a 2011 plan now? :lol

On a serious note, I'd be OK with it if that 3rd year is the deal breaker.

ElNono
07-02-2009, 09:32 AM
We'll see up to what extent the Boston fellatio works. If he doesn't verbally agrees to join Boston by tonight, I'd say we have very good chances.

Libri
07-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Boston is widely considered the frontrunner for Wallace's services, due in large part to a personal pitch from Celtics All-Star Kevin Garnett.I remember that the Spurs were considered front runners on other players and for the most part ended up on the losing side. This could now be the case for Boston. Everybody could think that he is going to the Celtics but he could pull a rabbit out of the hat and decide to sign with another team like the Spurs.

timvp
07-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Boston's two advantages seem to be this "personal pitch" and the fact that they are on the East Coast.

The Spurs' best hope is if TD and Pop can do a good under the radar recruiting job and Rasheed looks at the competition and starts comparing Kendrick Perkins, Big Baby and Leon Powe to Matt Bonner, Michael Finley and the Coyote.

Brazil
07-02-2009, 09:45 AM
More intruing for me is the apparent interest for Bass, I thought after dice / sheed / gortat, they had other interests before Bass for instance Gooden.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2009, 09:46 AM
More intruing for me is the apparent interest for Bass, I thought after dice / sheed / gortat, they had other interests before Bass for instance Gooden.

Bass would be dumb. We already have the same kind of guy in Blair.

BacktoBasics
07-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Bass sounds good but he'd end up riding the pine like Udoka. Guys on the brink of breaking out of subpar numbers never translate well in to pops system.

CGD
07-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Could also be that the Spurs didn't offer the full MLE the first time around, but instead something like a 12M/3y deal.

dbestpro
07-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Sheed is looking for the money. I think now he might be looking for 4 years with the 4th year partially guaranteed. I feel he might get two teams to offer 3 years. Will anybody go four?

timvp
07-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Regarding Gortat, perhaps they can use his ego to their advantage. "Come take our MLE over three years, start next to Duncan and then show the world why you deserve a max contract!"

All those Polish articles during the season made it sound like the Spurs and Gortat had mutual interest. I'm not too high on Gortat but I like him more than Bass . . .

ElNono
07-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Regarding Gortat, perhaps they can use his ego to their advantage. "Come take our MLE over three years, start next to Duncan and then show the world why you deserve a max contract!"

All those Polish articles during the season made it sound like the Spurs and Gortat had mutual interest. I'm not too high on Gortat but I like him more than Bass . . .

I like Mahinmi more than Bass... and Ian basically hasn't played an entire NBA game yet...

timvp
07-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Sheed is looking for the money. I think now he might be looking for 4 years with the 4th year partially guaranteed. I feel he might get two teams to offer 3 years. Will anybody go four?Due to the complicated Over-36 rule in the CBA, I'm pretty sure that giving Sheed a fourth year would cause the Spurs to pay even more of a tax this coming season. Not sure if Holt will sign off on that.

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 09:57 AM
The only part I care about.

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Sheed is looking for the money. I think now he might be looking for 4 years with the 4th year partially guaranteed. I feel he might get two teams to offer 3 years. Will anybody go four?
If Sheed was looking for the money, why would he say he's only looking at contenders for the LOB, and the final two teams he's looking at can only offer the MLE. He could go to a crap team and make more than Boston and SA are offering..don't get it twisted..he wants a ring...

Muser
07-02-2009, 10:03 AM
The only part I care about.

:tu

RC always backs his words up so i'm not worried.

BacktoBasics
07-02-2009, 10:06 AM
I don't see Gortat as a better option over Gooden.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't see Gortat as a better option over Gooden.
It's probably a little bit of a wash. I give Gortat the edge because he can actually defend and interior defense is more of a priority now that we have another offensive option.

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 10:20 AM
I hate free agency.... all the guys on spurstalk should start sending him nude pics to "woo" him to San Antonio. It is sad Kevin Garnett is going to talk Sheed out of a title.
Duncan>Garnett
Ginoblie>Allen
Parker>Rondo
Jefferson<Pierce

Our bench>Celtics

Scalabrine.... thats all I am going to say

benefactor
07-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Ginoblie
Who is this guy? Did we trade for him?

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 10:30 AM
sorry for the e... drugs on the mind

scottspurs
07-02-2009, 10:37 AM
If Sheed was looking for the money, why would he say he's only looking at contenders for the LOB, and the final two teams he's looking at can only offer the MLE. He could go to a crap team and make more than Boston and SA are offering..don't get it twisted..he wants a ring...

The teams that do have money are rebuilding and don't want to touch a 36 year old Wallace. The only teams considering Wallace are contenders and all they have to offer is the MLE.

Summers
07-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Who is this guy? Did we trade for him?

We got him for that GEEnoBEElee guy we drafted a few years ago.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 10:39 AM
We got him for that GEEnoBEElee guy we drafted a few years ago.
Ahh...ok. Thanks for the clarification. :tu

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 10:41 AM
this is a fun game how about Dunkin and Parkedcar, even better Boner

scottspurs
07-02-2009, 10:43 AM
I hate free agency.... all the guys on spurstalk should start sending him nude pics to "woo" him to San Antonio. It is sad Kevin Garnett is going to talk Sheed out of a title.
Duncan>Garnett
Ginoblie>Allen
Parker>Rondo
Jefferson<Pierce

Our bench>Celtics

Scalabrine.... thats all I am going to say

Yeah, Scalabrine<Bonner. Imagine how badly people would freak if the Spurs had him instead of Bonner.:lol Even if Boston signs Wallace, San Antonio has the best shot at a title as long as they sign a capable big man.

Dice, Zaza or Gortat

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Yeah, Scalabrine<Bonner. Imagine how badly people would freak if the Spurs had him instead of Bonner.:lol Even if Boston signs Wallace, San Antonio has the best shot at a title as long as they sign a capable big man.

Dice, Zaza or Gortat

agreed

Spurs Brazil
07-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Here's what Wallace agento told Boston newspaper.
Almost the same he told McDonald:

Strickland confirmed the Celtics’ contact with Wallace with a text message: “The interest is mutual.’’

Asked if Wallace, who earned $13 million with the Pistons last season, could join the Celtics as a mid-level exception, Strickland said: “We will see how things work out.’’

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2009/07/02/celtics_have_target/

4RINGS
07-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Spurs have work to do = We have seen/heard the Spurs first offer and Sheed wants a better offer (better terms) 3-4 year contract. IMO

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 10:55 AM
If the Spurs are truly interested and rank Sheed as the #1 FA option, I would imagine they would put in the extra effort as well. You would think Duncan would be involved also.

The Spurs are known for doing things like this.

SonOfAGun
07-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Agents are lawyers. They talk in code and its best to let them think they are throwing out subtle hints that people spend hours analyzing.

My head will explode from pure excitement if Spurs land Sheed.

ElNono
07-02-2009, 11:06 AM
If the Spurs are truly interested and rank Sheed as the #1 FA option, I would imagine they would put in the extra effort as well. You would think Duncan would be involved also.

The Spurs are known for doing things like this.

Are they really? The only two players in recent memory I recall getting a red carpet treatment and a visit from Pop to lure them in are Finley and Damn Stoudamire.

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Are they really? The only two players in recent memory I recall getting a red carpet treatment and a visit from Pop to lure them in are Finley and Damn Stoudamire.

Exactly. When they feel they have to go the extra mile they do. Didn't they also do it for Kidd? I can also remember reports of Maggette getting calls from Duncan and Parker.

Duncan2177
07-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Bass would be dumb. We already have the same kind of guy in Blair.

And Bonner.

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Maggette did get a call from Timmy IIRC..it's a pretty safe bet that he would have been a Spur if the Warriors didn't jump in with more $$$..

Summers
07-02-2009, 11:39 AM

That we know of. The Spurs do everything quietly.

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Also didn't Pop court Rasho pretty heavily?

ElNono
07-02-2009, 11:40 AM

Fair enough.

duncan228
07-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Maggette did get a call from Timmy IIRC...

This was after Maggette turned the Spurs down.

...But Maggette knows what changed. He went north to Oakland, for five years and $50 million, a consolation prize for the Warriors, who wanted Brand more. He took more money than he was offered in San Antonio ("Tim Duncan wished me well, and told me not to take my whippin' personally," Maggette said) to join a more nebulous situation with Golden State.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101095

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Exactly..I had a discussion with KSeal yesterday about this...he was saying that the Spurs weren't trying as hard as Boston to sign Rasheed...I told him that neither one of us knew shit about what SA was doing because they don't tell anyone.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Exactly..I had a discussion with KSeal yesterday about this...he was saying that the Spurs weren't trying as hard as Boston to sign Rasheed...I told him that neither one of us knew shit about what SA was doing because they don't tell anyone.
Consider that Boston is Boston too. Even if Pop, RC and Tim were headed to Michigan and ESPN knew, they would spend much more time reporting every move that the Celtics made.

Sobe_Kucks
07-02-2009, 12:27 PM

Pop paid Rasho a visit in his hometown just to let him know how much the Spurs wanted him. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Blackjack
07-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Consider that Boston is Boston too. Even if Pop, RC and Tim were headed to Michigan and ESPN knew, they would spend much more time reporting every move that the Celtics made.

:tu

All you've got to do is go back and look how last year's free-agency was reported in terms of Maggette.

It's been reported that the Spurs were the front-runner's for Maggette's services pretty much all along,(until G.S.' money entered the picture) yet ESPN never mentioned it once. Instead, they had "Breaking News" across the bottom of their screen that Boston was on the verge of signing him.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions one way or the other, but if all things are equal (money and years) I'd give the edge to the Spurs. But you'd never here that if it were the case.

lefty
07-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Can Duncan take less $$$$ so Spurs can outbid the other teams?

I know Barkley did it in 92 to allow the Suns' FO to sign Ainge

tmtcsc
07-02-2009, 12:36 PM
And Bonner.

:rollin Bonner never got a rebound that he had to fight for.

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Exactly...they could care less what a small market like SA is doing...until what we're doing is during the NBA Finals, they don't even look twice.

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 12:41 PM

I don't believe the current CBA allows players to restructure their contracts. I might be wrong.

rayray2k8
07-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Celtics are playing hard ball.. "Sign with us or else." :lol
If the wait is over that 3rd year, this may drag out for weeks, which is what I'm expecting it to.

Gino20
07-02-2009, 12:43 PM
It is possible that the Spurs already made their pitch to Sheed while he was in Dallas. Althought this act would be illegal, it is very possible they did so. Honestly, we all know this stuff happens under the table. Bucher stated that contracts are even signed early. I wouldn't doubt if this scenario did happen...

in2deep
07-02-2009, 12:45 PM
come on. The Spurs are smart enough not to put their eggs in one basket a la Celtics.

Let them take Sheed, I don't think he will make them much better because they already have solid bigs in Perkins, Garnett and Big Baby. With Shedd they'd be 4 solid bigs competing for minutes. I am warming up to this idea happening. That would give some chemistry problems to the Celtics.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 12:46 PM
It is possible that the Spurs already made their pitch to Sheed while he was in Dallas. Althought this act would be illegal, it is very possible they did so. Honestly, we all know this stuff happens under the table. Bucher stated that contracts are even signed early. I wouldn't doubt if this scenario did happen...
Umm...no, it didn't happen.

loveforthegame
07-02-2009, 12:49 PM
While other teams might do business under the table I don't see the Spurs operating that way.

DJB
07-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Doesn't our FO know that all they have to do is take him somewhere to get enchiladas and a margarita and it's a done deal?:bang

Mugen
07-02-2009, 01:15 PM
i think the image of the Celtics front office and its Big three taking sheed out for milkshakes and pony rides is hilarious.

lefty
07-02-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't believe the current CBA allows players to restructure their contracts. I might be wrong.
Damn :depressed

EricB
07-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Look, all you can do is say Sheed, heres what we can pay, heres our starting 5 with you, we think we'd win a couple rings in the next years if you do.

If he turns it down for Boston, theres nothing you can do but move on and go after McDyess.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-02-2009, 01:44 PM
:rolleyes That was necessary.

Necessary or not there is truth to it. Its pretty much cliche that Boston is chock full of bigots. The scenes that we saw from the post 65 civil rights era of swarms of bigots surrounding buses of black students throwing things and screaming obscenities as they are held back by the police and national guard were not just from Birmingham and Jackson. Those scenes were in Boston as well Racism runs deep and wide around the beltway.

Furthermore in places like Meridian and Jackson there are large black populations. Boston has the third largest percentage of white people of any american metropolitan area. IOW, not only are you surrounded by people who have already judged your character, you are also alone.

DJ_Mac
07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Many are wary of giving "Sheed" a 3-4 year deal...I think that Taco Spitter will be coming over next summer. That will give the Spurs another young big to go along with Blair & Mahimi. It gives the young'uns 2-3 years to learn from "Fire (Sheed) and Fundamental (Timmy)".
Would that be such a bad investment, Timmy and Sheed play less minutes while mentoring the next generation of Spurs big men. The Spurs don't neccesarily have to go through lean times when Tim decides to hang 'em up.

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 01:55 PM
4 years is too much..I'd definitely give him 3, and it seems like that's what he wants..

tmtcsc
07-02-2009, 02:06 PM
Not that Sheed is Tim Duncan, but if Duncan gets injured or sits for rest, Sheed can play that spot along side Splitter. I'm just wondering how much he has left in the tank. Does he still have a post up game or has he resigned himself to just chuckin up 3's ?

EricB
07-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Necessary or not there is truth to it. Its pretty much cliche that Boston is chock full of bigots. The scenes that we saw from the post 65 civil rights era of swarms of bigots surrounding buses of black students throwing things and screaming obscenities as they are held back by the police and national guard were not just from Birmingham and Jackson. Those scenes were in Boston as well Racism runs deep and wide around the beltway.

Furthermore in places like Meridian and Jackson there are large black populations. Boston has the third largest percentage of white people of any american metropolitan area. IOW, not only are you surrounded by people who have already judged your character, you are also alone.

Its also one of the more liberal cities in the country, so I think they've advanced from the 40 years past.

I see not, what this has to do with Rasheed and the Celtics.

TDMVPDPOY
07-02-2009, 02:10 PM
if sheed is just chuckin 3s these days

might as well sign antoine walker who chucks 4s

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 02:10 PM
we already have Michael Finley who chucks bricks..

Jdspur20
07-02-2009, 02:11 PM
I still believe Sheed has a good solid 3 years left in him. if he really thinks boston is a better fit, so be it, there's always McDyess.

Vic Petro
07-02-2009, 02:12 PM

It's also a stereotype that everyone in the south is racist. It is what it is, a bogus generalization. There's a lot of white people in Boston, but go see how many of them hate Paul Pierce because he's black.

urunobili
07-02-2009, 02:17 PM
It's also a stereotype that everyone in the south is racist. It is what it is, a bogus generalization. There's a lot of white people in Boston, but go see how many of them hate Paul Pierce because he's black.

Facts...

Northern States are WAY more open minded than southern ones... and Southern states are also WAY more racist than the ones up north...

EricB
07-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Facts...

Northern States are WAY more open minded than southern ones... and Southern states are also WAY more racist than the ones up north...

Uh no, not facts.

What next, you gonna tell us your faster than most snakes?

Death In June
07-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't know if this exerpt has been posted, but

League source confirmed this morning that the Celtics were trying to set up a meeting with Rasheed Wallace later today. The sit-down was said to be part of a series of meetings being set up with all of the teams interested in signing the free agent power forward/center. San Antonio and Cleveland — which introduced Shaquille O’Neal as its latest addition today — were also supposed to meet with Wallace today.

According to the source, the Celtics are willing to offer the full $5.8 million mid-level exception, but were only planning on offering the 35-year-old a two-year contract.

Wallace’s friend, Kevin Garnett, has been part of the recruiting effort, but he is not expected to be part of today’s meeting.

EricB
07-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Offer him three years.

That would trump Boston easily.

urunobili
07-02-2009, 02:24 PM
you gonna tell us your faster than most snakes?

:wtf ????

EricB
07-02-2009, 02:28 PM
:wtf ????

Google Dwight Schrute, FACT, and youtube.

You'll thank me later.

Spurs_9_20_21
07-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I really hope we get him. I wonder what Spurs chances are of getting him.

Mr. Body
07-02-2009, 02:30 PM
The South is pretty racist. Boston is pretty racist. Not everyone is.

Vic Petro
07-02-2009, 02:32 PM
Facts...

Look, I don't want to turn this into a discussion about race because this isn't the place for it, but let's just say there are pockets of racism all over the country, but no one city is so racist in general that it would affect the decision making of an NBA player.

There is a comfort level, sure, like when Chris Webber complained there were no soul food restaurants in Sacramento. But the hometown fans love the hometown players, whether white, black, puerto rican, laosian, eskimo or from Neptune.

Please no 3 year offer for Sheed. 2 max.

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I bet Urunobili thinks everyone in Texas rides horses: FACT

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Facts...

LOL..I like you dude, but that has got to be top 10 in the stupidest comments ever on this site..maybe even top 5. What makes you think that?

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 02:38 PM
RACISM IS BAD, RACISM IS EVERYWHERE..

end it at that..stop derailing the thread please..

Summers
07-02-2009, 02:42 PM

Duncan did this last year so there would be money this summer. You want him to take even less? He's already, relatively speaking, the most underpaid superstar in the league.

crc21209
07-02-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't know if this exerpt has been posted, but

League source confirmed this morning that the Celtics were trying to set up a meeting with Rasheed Wallace later today. The sit-down was said to be part of a series of meetings being set up with all of the teams interested in signing the free agent power forward/center. San Antonio and Cleveland — which introduced Shaquille O’Neal as its latest addition today — were also supposed to meet with Wallace today.

According to the source, the Celtics are willing to offer the full $5.8 million mid-level exception, but were only planning on offering the 35-year-old a two-year contract.

Wallace’s friend, Kevin Garnett, has been part of the recruiting effort, but he is not expected to be part of today’s meeting.

So Boston, Cleveland, AND San Antonio are all meeting with him today....interesting. Maybe we will find out some more info today or even tomorrow about where Sheed will be headed. Come on Sheed! :hungry:

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Duncan did this last year so there would be money this summer. You want him to take even less? He's already, relatively speaking, the most underpaid superstar in the league.

Tim is the 8th highest paid player in the league. Lebron is not even in the top 20.

urunobili
07-02-2009, 02:46 PM
I bet Urunobili thinks everyone in Texas rides horses: FACT

I bet you're unaware that i go there 4 times a year and I have been having such schedule the last 5... :wakeup

I bet i have been to more places in the US than you... :ihit

Summers
07-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Tim is the 8th highest paid player in the league. Lebron is not even in the top 20.

But Tim is the best.

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 02:50 PM
So Gortat has apparently received an offer from Dallas..first Villanueva, now Gortat..the big men are starting to go..

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 02:52 PM
But Tim is the best.

No. Tim is not the best player currently in the NBA. But that is not the point.

crc21209
So Gortat has apparently received an offer from Dallas..first Villanueva, now Gortat..the big men are starting to go..

That is why the Spurs gotta move fast on this Sheed thing...we need an answer now. If yes, fucking awesome. If no, then we need to move onto McDyess...although I fear he may stay in Detroit where he is comfortable. So...

Villanueva- Gone
Gortat- Probably Gone
Sheed- ?
Dice- ?

Please no Brandon Bass! We need Sheed!

urunobili
Google Dwight Schrute, FACT, and youtube.

You'll thank me later.

:lmao

Summers
07-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Nevermind. I have a headache and am grumpy.

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I bet you're unaware that i go there 4 times a year and I have been having such schedule the last 5... :wakeup

I bet i have been to more places in the US than you... :ihit

:lol and you still said something like that

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 02:54 PM
How is race getting introduced so quickly? Especially in reference to an extremely famous athlete. Racism happens everywhere, prejudice is a part of everyone on some level. I find it odd that you think anyone on this board can relate to the experiences these athletes we follow so closely deal with in relationship to their lives. They are put on a pedestal, made to believe they are great for something as benign as putting a ball in a hole. Have you heard Garnett speak? He makes it sound as if someone will die during the game, it is ridiculous. It is laughable when you think about. Look at this board, we are making personal judgments about a man none of us personally know, talking about his character. He will never experience racism the way anyone of us experience racism while he is in Boston or San Antonio. It is a pointless thing to bring up and is obviously on the personal agenda of whoever started this idea to begin with. Just enjoy the game, he decision will have nothing to do with racism in either area. Money and Ego, Money and Ego, Money and Ego, Money and Ego. (ego = playing time). Now please step away from the soap box.

Spurs9
07-02-2009, 02:56 PM
How many :lobt2: does Bron have?

Summers
07-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Now please step away from the soap box.

Irony.

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Summers how old are you? Just wondering, I really hope you are younger than 20, then there is hope.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Its also one of the more liberal cities in the country, so I think they've advanced from the 40 years past.

I see not, what this has to do with Rasheed and the Celtics.

Liberal in economic spheres has nothing to do with this. Kennedy was elected in 1963.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-02-2009, 03:03 PM

Who said anything about specifc individuals? I certainly didn't. I am talking about demographics here.

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 03:04 PM

Is Horry better than Duncan? Because Horry has more :lobt2: than Duncan...

Summers
07-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Summers how old are you? Just wondering, I really hope you are younger than 20, then there is hope.

I really don't know what you're hoping I'll change, but I'm probably old enough to be your mother.

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Lebron is young, you can't compare legacy. No Horry isn't better, he won championships because of Duncan, Shaq, and Hakeem.

FuzzyLumpkins
LOL..I like you dude, but that has got to be top 10 in the stupidest comments ever on this site..maybe even top 5. What makes you think that?

Go to a bar named Monkey's in Meridian, MS and get back to me.

bishopospurs
Summers how sweet of you, my mom is dead. Nice one.

DPG21920
I hate spurs fans :lol

DBMethos
07-02-2009, 03:08 PM
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/picture.php?albumid=65&pictureid=277

DPG21920
Lebron is young, you can't compare legacy. No Horry isn't better, he won championships because of Duncan, Shaq, and Hakeem.

You cannot bring up trophies as an argument then. When discussing who the best player in the NBA is today, legacy means nothing. But I am done with this convo :lobt2:

urunobili
and you still said something like that

I am talking about demographics here.
Meh... Never thought many of y'all would jump like that for a comment on something that is a common denominator and that is the impression that your own fellas in the US and others abroad have... racism is not big now.. its everywhere a lil.. but if you have to check where it happens more its definitively the south that has the upper hand... last June 30th... the raid at the Forth Worth bar is proof...

But let's get back on track here... I'd prefer Dice>Sheed and If Sheed is looking for money he ain't coming to SAT...

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Sorry... back to basketball.

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Don't bash on Summers....she's a hell of a lot smarter than you when it comes to the Silver and Black...don't even try.

crc21209
07-02-2009, 03:10 PM

+1

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 03:10 PM

Eventually it happens to all threads. It will get back on track! There are always so many sides to a topic that it often goes off in seemingly different directions. Happens with so many different point of views.

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Meh... Never thought many of y'all would jump like that for a comment on something that is a common denominator and that is the impression that your own fellas in the US and others abroad have... racism is not big now.. its everywhere a lil.. but if you have to check where it happens more its definitively the south that has the upper hand... last June 30th... the raid at the Forth Worth bar is proof...

But let's get back on track here... I'd prefer Dice>Sheed and If Sheed is looking for money he ain't coming to SAT...

Why? The Spurs can offer him as much as anyone else that is competiting for him.

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 03:12 PM
wow, I didn't say anything about the spurs, it is about people talking about racism as if they have even traveled outside of the country. If you read my post than you would see I was trying to get the convo back on basketball. I didn't sepcifically call out anyone, she is on the rampage. sorry dude, didn't mean to upset your girl.

smrattler
07-02-2009, 03:16 PM
:wgaf:

:wrongf

Drom John
07-02-2009, 03:16 PM
"Most money" also means endorsements. So send H.E.B. to woo.

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Why doesn't david robinson just come out of retirement. He can could hold down the fort till Splitter gets here.

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 03:22 PM
San Antonio cannot hang with Boston when it comes do endorsements. HEB, that is funny. I wish it were different.

completely deck
07-02-2009, 03:25 PM
bishopospurs, this posting thing isn't for everyone. Go try your luck at SpursReport

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 03:26 PM
bishopospurs, this posting thing isn't for everyone. Go try your luck at SpursReport

No need for that. If people followed EricB's advice and yours, there would be no new posters and everyone would be dead from drinking drain-o

urunobili
07-02-2009, 03:32 PM
I don;t think the Spurs will spend more than the MLE on Sheed's offer... he'll have a similar deal as the one Horry took in 2004 IMO... a little shorter.... we may be able to get him by matching Boston yearly money offer and throw him an additional year partially guaranteed... :D

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 03:33 PM
I don;t think the Spurs will spend more than the MLE on Sheed's offer... he'll have a similar deal as the one Horry took in 2004 IMO... a little shorter.... we may be able to get him by matching Boston yearly money offer and throw him an additional year partially guaranteed... :D

If they really want him, they know it will cost the full MLE. They will have to at least match any other offer to get him, but more than likely an extra year would surely do it.

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 03:34 PM
Thank you DPG21920, I appreciate it. I was just trying to say that pro athletes in america and the rest of us have totally different experiences. I was at D Rob's first game vs. LA, I assure you I am not band wagon spurs fan. I read all the spurs sights, including realgm, even though no one goes there.

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Sheed will take the full MLE. If 2010 wasn't going to be big in the FA market I think teams would over pay for him, luckily everyone is saving to land 6 or so guys

coyotes_geek
07-02-2009, 03:36 PM
If they really want him, they know it will cost the full MLE. They will have to at least match any other offer to get him, but more than likely an extra year would surely do it.

Agreed. I think you're looking at 3 years full MLE to get Sheed.

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Don't worry about it bishop. You have to have pretty thick skin here and not let things bother you. People talk big from time to time, but it is nothing personal. They are good people for the most part and you can learn a lot here.

It is wierd, especially because people at the beginning go through a sort of initiation phase. Don't know why it is like this, it is sort of a microcosm of high school or something.

SenorSpur
07-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I don;t think the Spurs will spend more than the MLE on Sheed's offer...

Nor should they. I also don't believe they'll "kiss his ass" the way the Celtics are. Pop is a bottom-line guy. He'll probably make him one direct pitch and allow Sheed to make up his own mind. After all, is was Sheed who publically expressed that he wanted the Pistons to trade him to the Spurs last Feb.

Vic Petro
07-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Agreed. I think you're looking at 3 years full MLE to get Sheed.

Pass.

2 years full MLE. If he wants more, on to Dice.

I'd go 3 years on Dice if we could do something like 3/12.

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 03:50 PM
SenorSpur, totally agree.. Sheed isn't going to make or break our championship hopes. Financially he is the best we can do, but I am confident the FO will get what we need. No need to bow down to the guy. It is getting embarrassing. Did y'all see Houston trying to get fans to send e-mails to get Gortat? That is pathetic.

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 03:53 PM
I would go two years tops on either dice or sheed. If splitter comes next summer do we really need them.

GooberNuts
07-02-2009, 03:54 PM
hmm... so if Sheed or Dice would both be good fits on the team, who would you rather have, Sheed for a 3 year MLE, or Dice for 2 years MLE? It's a tough decision because who know how much will be left in the tank for these players 2-3 years down the road.

timvp
07-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Pass.

2 years full MLE. If he wants more, on to Dice.

I'd go 3 years on Dice if we could do something like 3/12.

Two years is almost 12 . . . .

loveforthegame
07-02-2009, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't make decisions this summer on the hopes Splitter comes over the next one.

GooberNuts
07-02-2009, 03:55 PM
I would go two years tops on either dice or sheed. If splitter comes next summer do we really need them.

ha, you answered my question before it was even posted :spin

timvp
07-02-2009, 03:56 PM
hmm... so if Sheed or Dice would both be good fits on the team, who would you rather have, Sheed for a 3 year MLE, or Dice for 2 years MLE? It's a tough decision because who know how much will be left in the tank for these players 2-3 years down the road.

That's a pretty damn tough decision. I guess I'd go with Sheed. He's already a perimeter player so he won't take that much pounding. That extremely high release point doesn't rely on athleticism. Plus it would align with Duncan's contract.

If his skills fall off too far, he could probably play a 15 minute Donyell Marshall type role.

coyotes_geek
07-02-2009, 03:57 PM

And if Sheed and Dyess both get 3 year offers from someone else?

loveforthegame
07-02-2009, 03:59 PM

Tough call but I'd go with Wallace.

Cheddz
07-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Sheed for 3.

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 04:02 PM
And if Sheed and Dyess both get 3 year offers from someone else?

It depends on how close the FO is on other FA's. I don't know how they are grading players. If we can get Zaza at a cheaper price, I would consider. The thing is some of our other options are young and still can improve. Seeing Dice and Sheed play last year, I really think both have two years tops on there careers of real contribution. I would go as far as to say Sheed has less. I think three years on either we are looking at Finley 2.0.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Sheed with the Spurs makes too much sense for it not to happen and too much sense for it too happen....

lefty
07-02-2009, 05:09 PM
10, according to ESPN