PDA

View Full Version : Shaq: I'm Here To 'Win A Ring For The King'

duncan228
07-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Shaq: I'm here to 'Win a ring for the King' (http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2009/07/shaq-im-here-to-win-a-ring-for-the-king.html)
By Reid Cherner & Tom Weir

Shaquille O'Neal just wrapped up his introductory press conference in Cleveland, and of course he had some good lines. Here's his best stuff:

What he's all about in Cleveland: "Right now, my motto is very simple: Win a ring for the King."

On playing with LeBron James: "For me, at the end of my career, I'm honored to play with the great LeBron James . . . We all know it's Lebron's team."

More on James: "I'm now in the security business. My job is to protect the King, and that's what I'm here to do."

Will he get involved with Cleveland law enforcement: "I'm actually undercover, so I can't answer that."

What's his next nickname: "A friend of mine said The Big Freeze. I don't know about that one yet."

On playing in a cold-weather city for the first time: "I'm from north New Jersey, where we had harsh winters . . . So I'll be ready."

How his kids reacted to the trade: "This sort of puts me in a funny situation, because my sons actually love LeBron more than they love me . . . I'm a little jealous about it."

On how Cleveland stacks up now: "Right now we won't have any matchup issues and we won't be doubling anybody, and you can underline that 100 times."

On what he has left: "To me, there's two centers that have done something very special. I'm one and Tim Duncan's the other . . . I'm still the shogun in this league."

Updated.

The Shaq Show: O’Neal wants a ring for the King (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-cavaliers-shaqarrives&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Tom Withers

Laughing and loose, Shaq looked right at home.

Shaquille O’Neal and his oversized persona debuted in Cleveland on Thursday with a stated goal for next season. His friend LeBron James craves a championship, and O’Neal is here to serve.

“My motto is very simple,” O’Neal said. “‘Win a Ring for the King.”’

The 15-time All-Star center with four NBA titles was bedecked in a black suit, pink shirt and pink tie for an introductory news conference that might as well have been billed The Shaq Show.

Acquired last week in a blockbuster trade with the Phoenix Suns, O’Neal was welcomed by a team that believes he can bring this title-thirsty region its first major pro sports crown in 45 years.

Flanked by Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry and coach Mike Brown, O’Neal held court for nearly a half hour as only Shaq can. In front of an audience that included Cavs owner Dan Gilbert, media members, season-ticket holders, corporate partners and kids from a summer camp, O’Neal gave Cleveland fans their first glimpse of what’s in store next year—and maybe beyond.

Joined by his wife, Shaunie, O’Neal was calm, comedic and oozing—as always — with confidence. Clutching the microphone and delivering his answers in his unmistakable, bottomless baritone, O’Neal addressed topics ranging from a possible contract extension in Cleveland to James’ future to his Twitter page to a budding rivalry with Orlando center Dwight Howard.

The 37-year-old O’Neal has one season at $21 million left on a five-year, $100 million contract. However, early in his remarks he said, “I’ve got three years left in my career,” perhaps an initial attempt to persuade the Cavaliers to extend his deal past 2010.

“I have a lot left,” he said. “There’s only four or five good centers in the league and I’m in that number. … I’ve been in it (the NBA) for 17 years but I’ve missed three years because of injury. If you do the math, I’ve still got three years left. You got that?”

The Cavaliers most likely will ride out next season before making any plans with O’Neal, but the fifth-leading scorer in league history made it clear he doesn’t want to be around for just one year. Rent-a-Shaq is not his idea of a lasting impact.

“I would love an extension, who wouldn’t?” he said, flashing his easy smile. “If they offer me a $35 million a year extension, I’ll sign it right now. I won’t even read the contract. I’m just here to take care of business and I know can help give the city what it’s looking for.”

Cleveland, which hasn’t celebrated a championship since the Browns won the NFL title in 1964, is the first cold-weather NBA city O’Neal has played in following stops in Orlando, Los Angeles, Miami and Phoenix. None of those is known for its lake-effect snowfall, and Gilbert presented O’Neal with a large pair of winter boots—with the toes cut out—and an oversized shovel.

O’Neal has no concerns about Ohio’s climate. His only focus is on warming James with a title.

“It’s LeBron’s team,” he said. “He’s the captain. This is the time in my career where I can fit in. I’m now in the security business. My job is to protect the King, and that’s what I’m here to do.”

The 7-foot-1, 325-pounder had difficulty meshing in with Phoenix’s run-and-gun style. The Suns made just one playoff appearance during his 1 1/2 seasons in the desert, but O’Neal is confident he can adapt to whatever offense the Cavaliers install.

“I’m pretty much able to play any style,” he said, turning and touching Brown’s shoulder. “I’m not here to demand 40 or 50 shots. But I would like 30.

“I’m just coming here to do my part and help a damn good team get over the hump.”

The Cavaliers won 66 games during the regular season and eight straight to open the playoffs, but they came up short this June when they were eliminated by the Magic in the Eastern Conference finals. There is a greater sense of urgency in Cleveland to win it all because James is entering his final year under contract and there are no guarantees he will stay.

When asked about James’ plans, O’Neal said his Uncle Jerome, who was in attendance, had taught him to “never worry about tomorrow, worry about today.”

O’Neal is sure that if James wins his first title in Cleveland, he’ll stay around for more.

“In a perfect world and we win and take care of business, he has no choice but to stay here,” O’Neal said. “If we do what we came here to do, everything will fall into place.”

James has been vacationing with his family and did not attend O’Neal’s news conference. The superstars have exchanged e-mails and O’Neal plans to visit James this summer.

O’Neal joked that his trade to Cleveland made his family happy.

“My sons love LeBron more than they love me,” he said. “I’m just a little jealous about it.”

Now that he’s on a new team, O’Neal needs a new nickname. His previous monikers: The Big Diesel, The Big Aristotle. The Big Cactus, Shaq Fu, don’t fit his new digs. So, has he come up with one?

“A friend tweeted me with ‘The Big Freeze,”’ he said. “I don’t know about that one. I’ve got to go home, play around with the kids and figure something out. I’ll have one.”

He’s already got four rings, winning three straight titles with Kobe Bryant and the Lakers and one in Miami with Dwyane Wade.

“They say things happen in three,” he said. “I won with the great Kobe, the great D-Wade and now it’s my job to win one with the great LeBron James. We have everything in place. We just got to get it done.”

Thunder Dan
07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Lebron can't win without Shaq

Thunder Dan
07-02-2009, 01:56 PM
They probably won't show it, but the funniest part of the whole thing was when they first introduced Shaq he said that he got a call from Danny Ferry and he knew the name, but couldn't remember who he was so he googled him and found out why he knew him and held up this picture

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZzUgjhRdNC8/SeCsbEaxnUI/AAAAAAAAAMI/9kbrfAT8BoY/s400/shaq_ferry.jpg

redzero
They probably won't show it, but the funniest part of the whole thing was when they first introduced Shaq he said that he got a call from Danny Ferry and he knew the name, but couldn't remember who he was so he googled him and found out why he knew him and held up this picture

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ZzUgjhRdNC8/SeCsbEaxnUI/AAAAAAAAAMI/9kbrfAT8BoY/s400/shaq_ferry.jpg

That was just embarrassing.

TDMVPDPOY
Shaq: I'm here to 'Win a ring for the King' (http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2009/07/shaq-im-here-to-win-a-ring-for-the-king.html)
By Reid Cherner & Tom Weir

On what he has left: "To me, there's two centers that have done something very special. I'm one and Tim Duncan's the other . . . I'm still the shogun in this league."

td doesnt want ppl to remind him his C.......

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-02-2009, 01:58 PM
More on James: "I'm now in the security business. My job is to protect the King, and that's what I'm here to do."
There's definitely some nicknames to pull from that. The Big Kevin Costner?

Or if that statement means that he's on his majesty's Secret Service : The Big George Lazenby!

Kamnik
07-02-2009, 02:01 PM
You can say what you want about shaq.... but he has funny moments !:D

DJB
07-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Oh Christ here we go again.
:wakeup

lil_penny
07-02-2009, 02:03 PM
There's definitely some nicknames to pull from that. The Big Kevin Costner?
[/B]!

Lol

duncan228
07-02-2009, 02:06 PM
At least Timmy gets mentioned in this hogwash.

It seems to me that Shaq mentions Duncan more and more as the years go by. I think it's really important to him that he gets his fifth before Duncan does.

Muser
07-02-2009, 02:07 PM
I like how he insists it would be him winning it and not him gravy training LeBron for his 5th.

Summers
07-02-2009, 02:11 PM
It seems to me that Shaq mentions Duncan more and more as the years go by. I think it's really important to him that he gets his fifth before Duncan does.

He does seem kind of hung up on TD, doesn't he? I'm pretty sure Shaq and Tim don't like each other much, but it seems Shaq respects Tim, and I don't think Shaq respects very many people.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-02-2009, 02:19 PM
He does seem kind of hung up on TD, doesn't he? I'm pretty sure Shaq and Tim don't like each other much, but it seems Shaq respects Tim, and I don't think Shaq respects very many people.

I can't remember when but during a trip back to San Antonio I saw Instant Replay for the first time in years and they had a brief interview with Shaq. They talked a bit about Duncan and some genuine respect did shine through. I remember Shaq mentioning that Duncan was on the short lists of guys whose skin he couldn't get under. For all the shit that he's tried to start so many guys in the league, Duncan's never risen to any of Shaq's bait.

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 02:33 PM
lol @ "The King"
Kings need a crown...LJ doesn't have one.

sook
07-02-2009, 02:35 PM
I have a question for thunderdan, does he now support the communist blowhards in china now that a group of chinese investors partly own the team?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30917428/

VivaPopovich
07-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I can't remember when but during a trip back to San Antonio I saw Instant Replay for the first time in years and they had a brief interview with Shaq. They talked a bit about Duncan and some genuine respect did shine through. I remember Shaq mentioning that Duncan was on the short lists of guys whose skin he couldn't get under. For all the shit that he's tried to start so many guys in the league, Duncan's never risen to any of Shaq's bait.

if KG couldnt bait duncan i dont think anyone can

dbreiden83080
07-02-2009, 02:42 PM

There is no question he is hung up on this 5th ring before TD deal and what does it all mean when you end up playing for 5 teams or more to do it? This will be Shaq's 3rd team in 6 years. Players of this status if you look throughout history don't typically bounce around this much. I don't know how to rate another ring for Shaq. The Spurs have no desire to trade TD and him no desire to leave in desperation to be a third wheel on a different title contender..

crc21209
07-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Fuck Shaq...I'm tired of his circus.

NRHector
07-02-2009, 02:56 PM
This clown should be a politician, he always says what you want to hear in a very smooth way, is more like a con and that my friends takes skills.

rAm
07-02-2009, 02:57 PM
I like Shaq more for the Shogun comment.

Drachen
07-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Lol

The big unemployment

07-02-2009, 03:10 PM
a shaq duncan finals would be amazing. would finally settle who is the better bigman.

duncan228
07-02-2009, 03:35 PM
A couple more quotes.

"They say things happen in threes," O'Neal said. "I won with Kobe and with the great Dwyane Wade."

"I won't be the guy by myself. Even though I have four rings it is going to take a team to get it done. We have all the pieces here. We will be ready."

"LeBron's not going to do it by himself," O'Neal stated. "I'm just here to do my part and help a damn good team get over the hump. It's LeBron's team. I'm here. He's the captain. I'm here to protect The King."

Muser
07-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Shaq is such a faggot.

SPURSGOAT
07-02-2009, 04:03 PM

:lol Man that was sooo frigg'n funny when he said that... :lol

BlackSwordsMan
07-02-2009, 04:09 PM
varejoa can't win without shaq

Culburn369
07-02-2009, 04:16 PM
...or, an immediate contract year.

duncan228
07-02-2009, 04:17 PM
The local view.

Nicknames and climate aside, Shaquille O'Neal looks to deliver for the Cavaliers (http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2009/07/_even_before_the_greeting.html)
by Bill Livingston, The Plain Dealer

Even before the greeting card, which was super-sized beyond any hamburger chains dreams and was signed by Cavaliers employees, the team gave Shaquille O'Neal a Cleveland moment at his introductory news conference Thursday.

Owner Dan Gilbert, wearing a tie, meaning this was serious stuff, handed the 7-foot-1, 320-ish pound veteran center a pair of wine and gold Cavs galoshes with the toes cut out. You know, for growing room. Next came a snow shovel.

O'Neal himself, asked for a nickname to follow such self-bestowed monickers as the Big Aristotle, the Big Cactus (in Phoenix), the Big Shaqtus, the Big Galactus, and the immortal Wilt Chamberneezy, embraced the local weather drawbacks with the "Big Freeze." The 37-year-old O'Neal was born in New Jersey, which is not noted, climatologically, as a garden spot despite its similar state nickname.

O'Neal, a four-time NBA champion, was relaxed, confident and funny. He cracked a few jokes about the playing career of general manager Danny Ferry and then turned to coach coach Mike Brown, seated next to him, and said, emphatically, "We will never have to double team anybody again."

The first doesn't matter because Ferry is a good sport. The second we will see about. It was a reference to the rain of destruction Orlando unleashed from the 3-point line when the Cavs cluster-guarded Magic center Dwight Howard.

O'Neal usually comes off as jovial, but there is a bite to his remarks, too. Without doing a rapping putdown of the Cavs' current hobgoblin, Howard, O'Neal noted that only two big men have won multiple NBA championships in the decade -- himself and Tim Duncan in San Antonio. Calling himself the "shogun"(a Japanese war lord who served as the virtual ruler of the country in feudal times), he said all the other big men "have to come upstairs and see me."

After next season, LeBron James, the King of Cleveland, could become the most attractive free agent since Shaq left Orlando for the Lakers in 1996. But O'Neal said, "In a perfect world, if we win it takes care of business and he has no choice but to stay here."

Often viewed as a rent-a-player, acquired for just one season, O'Neal lobbied for a contract extension. He too will be a free agent in 2010, but the Cavs can pay him more than anyone else. That would enable him to finish what he sees as three more playing years here.

O'Neal's slogan for the coming season, rather than a Shaq-centric "one for the thumb," is "Win a Ring for the King."

This news conference went much better than the introductory one in 2005 for Brown, when Gilbert pointedly handed him an oversized clock to tell the neophyte coach he was on it. But then, Shaq already knows he is the Big Embodiment of a lot of dreams in a city with a long championship drought, even though he made sure to say the Cavs are always going to be LeBron's team.

O'Neal and his former teammate in Los Angeles, Kobe Bryant, are in a three-way race with Duncan to be the Lord of the Rings, the first active player with five NBA championships. Never mind the bad weather, if it really is a perfect world here next season, Shaq doesn't have to be the center piece in anyway except for the position he plays.

The Big Ringbearer will do.

Thunder Dan
07-02-2009, 04:22 PM
I have a question for thunderdan, does he now support the communist blowhards in china now that a group of chinese investors partly own the team?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/30917428/

they are from Hong Kong, which is capitalistic and not part of communist China. They have their own money, economy and government. We went over this yesterday.

Hong Kong= not into genocide
China= into genocide

Culburn369
07-02-2009, 04:23 PM
"The Black Moose Cholak" also cited Fisher for that .4 shot against you all. He thinks he won the title that year.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-02-2009, 04:25 PM
they are from Hong Kong, which is capitalistic and not part of communist China. They have their own money, economy and government. We went over this yesterday.

Hong Kong= not into genocide
China= into genocide

Follow up question, does Shaq's referring to himself as a Japanese warlord sit well with the Hong Kongese ownership or will they pressure him to use the nickname "The Big Former British Possession"?

Fernando TD21
07-02-2009, 08:26 PM
3TEaAhCNDec

Allanon
07-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Sorry Shaqfu, but Ron Artest is the LeBron-Stoppa

Brazil
07-02-2009, 10:23 PM
It's old but still He is a funny guy

lefty
07-02-2009, 10:46 PM

I just saw that on TV

I thought It was funny :lmao

Although not smart, since kids were around

mavsfan1000
07-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Too late for Shaq. He is not that good anymore.

iggypop123
07-02-2009, 11:27 PM
first to five. i guess shaq forgot he isnt going to be first or even on the list

Killakobe81
07-03-2009, 01:08 AM
a shaq duncan finals would be amazing. would finally settle who is the better bigman.

are you serious?! There is no debate Duncan is better and is REally a center as well ...But since he is listed at PF i atill put him in my all-time starting 5 ...

NewJerSpur
07-03-2009, 01:14 AM

Unfortunately for him, he won't. :king

KidCongo
07-03-2009, 01:18 AM

They have a rivalry for sure. Obviously Shaq talks about Duncan alot more than TD does about Shaq but I would think Tim being the competitor he is would want a 5th ring to seperate himself.

Edit* However TD could accept Shaq with no.5 before him. I don't think Shaq would like Timmy winning no.5 before him though.

Allanon
07-03-2009, 01:26 AM

First to 5 leaves no question for debate as to who the best Big man of this era was. Right now it's 1a and 1b, take your pick on the order :lol

duncan228
07-03-2009, 01:45 AM
Unfortunately for him, he won't. :king

I hope Duncan gets there first.

They have a rivalry for sure. Obviously Shaq talks about Duncan alot more than TD does about Shaq but I would think Tim being the competitor he is would want a 5th ring to seperate himself.

Edit* However TD could accept Shaq with no.5 before him. I don't think Shaq would like Timmy winning no.5 before him though.

Duncan is a competitor, he's all about winning. I'm sure he wants that fifth as much as Shaq, but we won't hear him talk about it like that. He'll simply say he wants to win, that he's not focused on what anyone else is doing.

If Shaq gets to five before Duncan, and Duncan is asked about it, he'll be nothing but gracious. Congratulate Shaq and move on.

First to 5 leaves no question for debate as to who the best Big man of this era was. Right now it's 1a and 1b, take your pick on the order :lol

I imagine there's no doubt what my order is. :)

samikeyp
07-03-2009, 01:46 AM
:sleep

Chris
07-03-2009, 11:26 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ylarBerl78&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ylarBerl78&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fernando TD21
07-03-2009, 11:49 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ylarBerl78&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ylarBerl78&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
:lol Cool video.

Chris
07-03-2009, 05:38 PM
:lol Cool video.

I like the part where he stops the car and starts ripping at the bushes..wtf?

boutons_deux
07-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Shaq's "here" for the money. He's done, living off his long out-lived reputation.

SonOfAGun
07-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Out of the 3, TD is probably the only one who doesn't give a shit about "being the first to 5."

He just wants to win. Every year.