PDA

View Full Version : Python Strangles 2 year old

sonic21
07-02-2009, 02:54 PM
http://news.aol.com/article/python-strangles-child/552884 (http://news.aol.com/article/python-strangles-child/552884)

OXFORD, Fla. (July 1) – A pet Burmese python measuring more than 8 feet long broke out of a terrarium and strangled a 2-year-old girl in her bedroom Wednesday at a central Florida home, authorities said. Shaiunna Hare was already dead when paramedics arrived at about 10 a.m., Lt. Bobby Caruthers of the Sumter County Sheriff's Office said.

Charles Jason Darnell, the snake's owner and the boyfriend of Shaiunna's mother, discovered the snake missing from its terrarium and went to the girl's room, where he found it on the girl and bite marks on her head, Caruthers said. Darnell, 32, stabbed the snake until he was able to pry the child away

"The baby's dead!" a sobbing caller from the house screamed to a 911 dispatcher in a recording. "Our stupid snake got out in the middle of the night and strangled the baby."

Authorities did not identify the caller and removed the person's name from the recording.

"She got out of the cage last night and got into the baby's crib and strangled her to death," the caller said.

Authorities removed the snake from the home Wednesday afternoon after obtaining a search warrant. Once outside the small, tan home, bordered by cow pastures, the snake was placed in a bag then inside a dog crate. The snake was still alive.

Darnell did not have a permit for the snake, which would be a second-degree misdemeanor, said Joy Hill, a spokeswoman with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. He has not been charged, but Caruthers said investigators were looking into whether there was child neglect or if any other laws were broken.

Hill said the snake will be placed with someone who has a permit, pending an investigation into the girl's death.

Vinnie_Johnson
07-02-2009, 02:56 PM
http://news.aol.com/article/python-strangles-child/552884 (http://news.aol.com/article/python-strangles-child/552884)

OXFORD, Fla. (July 1) – A pet Burmese python measuring more than 8 feet long broke out of a terrarium and strangled a 2-year-old girl in her bedroom Wednesday at a central Florida home, authorities said. Shaiunna Hare was already dead when paramedics arrived at about 10 a.m., Lt. Bobby Caruthers of the Sumter County Sheriff's Office said.

Charles Jason Darnell, the snake's owner and the boyfriend of Shaiunna's mother, discovered the snake missing from its terrarium and went to the girl's room, where he found it on the girl and bite marks on her head, Caruthers said. Darnell, 32, stabbed the snake until he was able to pry the child away

"The baby's dead!" a sobbing caller from the house screamed to a 911 dispatcher in a recording. "Our stupid snake got out in the middle of the night and strangled the baby."

Authorities did not identify the caller and removed the person's name from the recording.

"She got out of the cage last night and got into the baby's crib and strangled her to death," the caller said.

Authorities removed the snake from the home Wednesday afternoon after obtaining a search warrant. Once outside the small, tan home, bordered by cow pastures, the snake was placed in a bag then inside a dog crate. The snake was still alive.

Darnell did not have a permit for the snake, which would be a second-degree misdemeanor, said Joy Hill, a spokeswoman with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. He has not been charged, but Caruthers said investigators were looking into whether there was child neglect or if any other laws were broken.

Hill said the snake will be placed with someone who has a permit, pending an investigation into the girl's death.

Just awful need to charge the parents with something just stupid.

Summers
07-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I feel a pit bull argument in the works.

BacktoBasics
07-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I feel a pit bull argument in the works.:toast I was about ready to suggest that Korimod move this to the pitbull forum.

LnGrrrR
07-02-2009, 03:09 PM

Wow... that's horrible.

My kid isn't even born yet, and already I seem to have invested so many hopes and dreams for him. I can't imagine losing a child at 2.

Bender
07-02-2009, 03:10 PM
I used to have a pet Burmese python. I donated it to the S.A. Zoo when it got around 6' long though.

BacktoBasics
07-02-2009, 03:20 PM
The snake was obviously mishandled and malnourished. Domesticated snakes particularly pythons rarely seek out something as large as a toddler unless they're seriously under feed.

koriwhat
07-02-2009, 03:24 PM
I feel a pit bull argument in the works.

yeah! i get to take my boss' pit bull home with me for the weekend while she's out of town. i just love this dog! brutis is the shit!

dimsah
07-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Wow... that's horrible.

My kid isn't even born yet, and already I seem to have invested so many hopes and dreams for him. I can't imagine losing a child at 2.

Yeah, your empathy will tend to ratchet up a few notches after your first child is born.

Stories like these are always horrible but when you can actually imagine yourself in that position with your own child, then it has much deeper meaning.

Trainwreck2100
07-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Charles Jason Darnell, the snake's owner and the boyfriend of Shaiunna's mother,

The guy wasn't even the kid's parent

mrsmaalox
07-02-2009, 04:11 PM
I can't find it now, but the recording of the 911 call is gut wrenching :( Also I read somewhere that many pythons escaped from wrecked pet stores after Hurricane Andrew, and have been reproducing at an alarming rate in the wilds of Florida ever since :wow

sonic21
07-02-2009, 04:16 PM
I can't find it now, but the recording of the 911 call is gut wrenching :(

http://luvtosurf.blogspot.com/2009/07/12-foot-python-strangles-2-year-old.html

bigzak25
07-02-2009, 04:34 PM
fucking horrible

mookie2001
07-02-2009, 04:37 PM
oh i would never let my python strangle my kid
theyre too important to me

sook
07-02-2009, 07:05 PM
The snake was obviously mishandled and malnourished. Domesticated snakes particularly pythons rarely seek out something as large as a toddler unless they're seriously under feed.

Oh shut up snakes are evil and should be eradicated

easjer
07-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Horrifying, utterly horrifying.

I get nervous about my cat being allowed to roam free at night after the baby is born. I can't imagine having a fucking python in a situation where it could possibly escape from its terrarium and be loose at night.

Slydragon
07-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Someone photoshop a pitbull's head on a snake so I can be double piss.

Dr. Gonzo
07-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Someone photoshop a pitbull's head on a snake so I can be double piss.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/midgetonadonkey/aristocrat.jpg