PDA

View Full Version : Kids found in shed behind Texas daycare center

iilluzioN
07-02-2009, 03:05 PM
SEALY — A Texas couple were arrested after a state inspector found several children locked in a tool shed behind an unlicensed daycare center.
State officials said the children were surrounded by lawn equipment, gasoline and insecticide when they were found Wednesday morning. The children were not injured.
A child welfare inspector had gone there in response to a complaint that an illegal daycare center was being operated at the home.
In all, there were 14 children, ranging in age from 3 months to 5 years, being cared for by the couple, Child Protective Services spokeswoman Gwen Carter said Thursday. The included several in the shed and others hidden in the house or at a home next door.
Austin County District Attorney Travis Koehn said Marietta Patek, 55, was charged with six counts of child endangerment. Her husband, Freddie Patek, 47, faced an evidence tampering charge.
They were supposed to be caring for no more than three children, Carter said.
Bond was set at $10,000 for each. They have no attorney of record to comment on their behalf, jail officials said Thursday.
Paramedics examined all the children and found they were unharmed. Parents were summoned to pick them up.
"They're the sweetest people," a neighbor, Christalynn Bell, told Houston television station KRIV. "They always think about the children first. That's why right now, it's totally mindboggling."
The case remains under investigation by police and child welfare authorities.
Sealy is about 45 miles west of Houston.

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/07/02/2990995-kids-found-in-shed-behind-texas-daycare-center
:ihit

Bender
07-02-2009, 03:08 PM
"They're the sweetest people," a neighbor, Christalynn Bell, told Houston television station KRIV. "They always think about the children first.:rolleyes uh, ok...

pkbpkb81
07-02-2009, 03:44 PM
I am so happy my wife can stay home with the kids

ORION
07-02-2009, 03:58 PM
What the fuck?! A 5 year will go home and say "Daddy they locked me in the shed at daycare today" how could they think that was ok or that they could get away doing that?

mrsmaalox
07-02-2009, 03:59 PM

Oh sure I feel sorry for people who have to rely on childcare; but not necessarily the ones who do it by choice to maintain a lavish lifestyle ;) We decided waay before we had kids that the only people who would care for our children were people who loved them. Otherwise, we'd go into the poor house if we had to, to not leave them with strangers.

ploto
07-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I lived next door to a woman who watched at least 12 kids in her 1500 sq. ft. duplex, while having two pre-school children of her own. I counted the kids being picked up one afternoon. I usually butt my nose out of people's business, but I called CPS the next day and they did nothing about it. I saw that one of the parents who was picking her kid up there was a friend of mine and I tried to talk to her about it. I tried to tell her how these 3 year old kids would run around outside unsupervised and that she had way more kids there than were allowed. She got so mad at me and told me how this was a wonderful woman from her church. I was so glad we were getting ready to move and I always wondered about all those kids.

easjer
07-02-2009, 08:01 PM
And this is why I am very particular about finding the right in-home daycare. There are good in-home daycares (and not all of us have the option of a parent staying home. It's not a matter of cutting off the cable and not eating out as often for us.) and I think they are often preferable to the large daycare centers . . . but you have to be careful.

If my mother doesn't make the move out here to care for our child, then we'll find a licensed, certified in-home provider who adheres to the # of children guideline (which includes their own children). And is open and available to us to check up on them at any time, and follows our parenting/disciplinary strategies.

I can't imagine that you could not know there are 14 children there, and how anyone could be comfortable with only 2 adults watching 14 children day in and day out.

ploto
07-02-2009, 08:56 PM
I can't imagine that you could not know there are 14 children there, and how anyone could be comfortable with only 2 adults watching 14 children day in and day out.

Unlike the one in the article, at the place I was talking about- it was one woman with 14 kids! Her husband worked a regular job. As I said, my friend defended this woman. I can only assume she wanted to believe it was OK so she would have a place to leave her kid.

we'll find a licensed, certified in-home provider who adheres to the # of children guideline (which includes their own children). And is open and available to us to check up on them at any time, and follows our parenting/disciplinary strategies.
Good luck on that, seriously.

Slydragon
07-03-2009, 04:34 AM
http://wine-scamp.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/helenlovejoy.jpg