PDA

View Full Version : Report: Ariza meets with Rockets

sonic21
07-02-2009, 03:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303256 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303256)

HOUSTON -- A person close to the situation tells The Associated Press that the Houston Rockets are meeting with Los Angeles Lakers forward Trevor Ariza.

The person, who did not want to be identified because the negotiations were ongoing, said Rockets general manager Daryl Morey was meeting with the free agent in Las Vegas.

The meeting was first reported by KRIV-TV in Houston, which also said coach Rick Adelman was meeting with Ariza. The AP source could not confirm that.

David Lee, Ariza's agent, did not immediately return a phone message left by the AP.

The 6-foot-8 Ariza averaged 8.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists for the Lakers last season, which ended with the NBA championship.

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 03:26 PM
you just beat me to it. :D

sonic21
07-02-2009, 03:27 PM
you just beat me to it. :D

:toast

loveforthegame
07-02-2009, 03:28 PM
Why the hell would he want to play for the Rockets?

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Maybe they can offer him more money..not sure where Houston stands...the kid is only 24...let him get his paper...plus, this makes a lot of sense..I think they're preparing for Artest's departure.

Muser

$$$$$

DPG21920
Damn, Shane+Ariza is a nasty defensive combo.

Roxsfan
^^b/c without tmac and yao we took the lakers to 7.

We may get gortat and plugging in Ariza will only make us better even if we lose Artest.

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 03:32 PM
^^b/c without tmac and yao we took the lakers to 7.

We may get gortat and plugging in Ariza will only make us better even if we lose Artest.
I don't think you're getting Gortat...but Ariza will be good if you lose Artest.

in2deep
07-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Ariza is a slut

Roxsfan
07-02-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't think you're getting Gortat...but Ariza will be good if you lose Artest.

You're probably right. But I'm still hoping. I know he wants to start and we can give him the starting 5 spot for the first half guaranteed and probably let him have the starting spot to close out the season and if he does well--even the start in the postseason. Yao will be the highest paid, most dominant, somewhat fragile, 5 off the bench in the history of this game.

Artest93
07-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Rockets GM Morey Meets
with Ariza

Updated: Thursday, 02 Jul 2009, 2:57 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 02 Jul 2009, 1:50 PM CDT

HOUSTON - Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey is in Las Vegas Thursday meeting with free agent forward Trevor Ariza according to his agent David Lee in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

"Your general manager (is) meeting with Trevor (Thursday)," Lee said. "Trevor and (head coach) Rick (Adelman) spoke by phone (Wednesday).

"This is a five-year commitment. It's important for Trevor to go to a place where he his wanted and can contribute."

According to Lee, Houston would be a perfect fit.

"The Rockets have liked Trevor for a long time," Lee said. "They covet what he can do."

Lee said he has already received a number of offers, most of them are the mid-level exception.

"But two of three of those offers are more than that," Lee said.

Lee said Ariza is getting more and more interest every day because, until recently, most teams believed the Los Angeles Lakers were not going to let him go.

A five-year veteran, Ariza averaged 8.9 points, 4.3 rebounds, 1.8 assists, and 1.7 steals last season for the Lakers.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/090702_ariza_rockets

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 03:39 PM
You're probably right. But I'm still hoping. I know he wants to start and we can give him the starting 5 spot for the first half guaranteed and probably let him have the starting spot to close out the season and if he does well--even the start in the postseason. Yao will be the highest paid, most dominant, somewhat fragile, 5 off the bench in the history of this game.
Yeah...but it looks like Dallas is about to overpay for Gortat, giving him the full MLE...he'll take that if that's the case. If Orlando doesn't match what Dallas is offering, he'll probably head there.

Artest93
07-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Yeah...but it looks like Dallas is about to overpay for Gortat, giving him the full MLE...he'll take that if that's the case. If Orlando doesn't match what Dallas is offering, he'll probably head there.

Even though Dallas doesn't even need a center, they still need a solid two guard

loveforthegame
07-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Houston only had the MLE to offer him??

DDS4
07-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Damn, Shane+Ariza is a nasty defensive combo.

Those two guys essentially play the same position. They guard 2's and 3's and can shoot the three. But both can't really create their own shots.

I think it's kinda redundant for the Rockets.

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Is Ariza restricted?

La Peace
07-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Downgrade from Artest.

Banzai
07-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Is Ariza restricted?

Not sure. Unrestricted maybe?

ginobili's bald spot
07-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Is Ariza restricted?

No.

ulosturedge
07-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Ariza is a slut

:lmao

Banzai
07-02-2009, 04:37 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/hitler3.gif (http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/hitler3.gif)

rayray2k8
07-02-2009, 04:38 PM

:bling:bling:bling:bling
And lots of it.. Time to cash in on your value.

YellowFever
07-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Houston only had the MLE to offer him??

Not sure. Unrestricted maybe?

IIRC, Ariza is restricted.

He's pissed that Mitch took the "We are going to offer you no more than the MLE and decide if we're going to match any other offers you receive" stance and apparantly that set off Ariza.

Someone reported that he is willing to take the same amount of money (MLE) to play for another team rather than suffer this "slap in the face" from the Lakers.

I don't know if this is posturing on his part or not...

ulosturedge
07-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Rockets GM Morey Meets
with Ariza

Updated: Thursday, 02 Jul 2009, 2:57 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 02 Jul 2009, 1:50 PM CDT

HOUSTON - Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey is in Las Vegas Thursday meeting with free agent forward Trevor Ariza according to his agent David Lee in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

"Your general manager (is) meeting with Trevor (Thursday)," Lee said. "Trevor and (head coach) Rick (Adelman) spoke by phone (Wednesday).

"This is a five-year commitment. It's important for Trevor to go to a place where he his wanted and can contribute."

According to Lee, Houston would be a perfect fit.

"The Rockets have liked Trevor for a long time," Lee said. "They covet what he can do."

Lee said he has already received a number of offers, most of them are the mid-level exception.

"But two of three of those offers are more than that," Lee said.

Lee said Ariza is getting more and more interest every day because, until recently, most teams believed the Los Angeles Lakers were not going to let him go.

A five-year veteran, Ariza averaged 8.9 points, 4.3 rebounds, 1.8 assists, and 1.7 steals last season for the Lakers.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/090702_ariza_rockets

All Agent talk so his client can get paid more by LA. The thing is LA doesn't want to pay him anymore money lol. Paying him more would probably mean jeopardizing the money they want to use to sign Odom back. I don't think at this point in his career he is gonna want to go for the MLE. This is probably his best chance to get a raise lol. It's going to be interesting watching how this unfolds.

BlackSwordsMan
07-02-2009, 04:47 PM
IIRC, Ariza is restricted.

He's pissed that Mitch took the "We are going to offer you no more than the MLE and decide if we're going to match any other offers you receive" stance and apparantly that set off Ariza.

Someone reported that he is willing to take the same amount of money (MLE) to play for another team rather than suffer this "slap in the face" from the Lakers.

I don't know if this is posturing on his part or not...

lakers and their drama

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-02-2009, 04:47 PM
With Yao and Artest as big question marks they are going to have some holes to fill and that is going to make them easy targets for FA trying to up their value. Until they actually sign someone I expect that just about anyone and everyone trying to squeeze dollars out of a team will mention that the Rockets were talking about giving them an MLE deal.

DPG21920
07-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Those two guys essentially play the same position. They guard 2's and 3's and can shoot the three. But both can't really create their own shots.

I think it's kinda redundant for the Rockets.

Artest played the same position as well. Battier would come off the bench.

KSeal
07-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Ariza is a little bitch if he goes to Houston for the MLE, seriously, get over yourself kid. Only way he leaves is if Portland or Toronto give him a huge pay day, he won't leave the Lakers for the same or less money, it just makes no sense.

07-02-2009, 05:09 PM
how quickly lakerfans turn on their own players. ariza got you guys a championship, now you guys are trashing him because he wants a raise.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Ariza is a little bitch if he goes to Houston for the MLE, seriously, get over yourself kid. Only way he leaves is if Portland or Toronto give him a huge pay day, he won't leave the Lakers for the same or less money, it just makes no sense.

You would think that but some players just get so butt hurt where they wind up shooting themselves in the foot. Joe Johnson told the Suns he didn't want them to match Atlanta's offer because he was insulted they didn't offer him that contract in the first place.

lefty
07-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Do it, Rockets, do it ! :hungry:

KSeal
07-02-2009, 05:15 PM
You would think that but some players just get so butt hurt where they wind up shooting themselves in the foot. Joe Johnson told the Suns he didn't want them to match Atlanta's offer because he was insulted they didn't offer him that contract in the first place.

It's not like the Lakers have 20 million in cap space and just offered him the MLE. They're already SEVEN MILLION over, the LUXARY TAX. I mean seriously dude, nobody has offered you more then the MLE, so the Lakers who are in luxary tax hell offer you that and you get pissed like a five year old and threaten to leave for fucking Cleveland? Sound childish to me.

And no I haven't turned on anyone, I love Ariza, this whole childish drama shit is just so stupid though.

Plus the Lakers have said they would match offers, he just hasn't gotten any over the MLE yet, so it's not like they're only offering the MLE, it's just until someone else goes higher.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-02-2009, 05:17 PM
This could turn into a SJax 03 situation, starring Sasha as Hedo in 04.

coyotes_geek
07-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Just a word of advice for Morey and the rocket fans, it doesn't look like the emails worked on Gortat so if you want Ariza you should probably come up with something that shows you put a little more heart into it like an E-card.

Kai
07-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Just a word of advice for Morey and the rocket fans, it doesn't look like the emails worked on Gortat so if you want Ariza you should probably come up with something that shows you put a little more heart into it like an E-card.

:lol

ginobili's bald spot
07-02-2009, 05:22 PM

totalspurshomer
07-02-2009, 05:22 PM

Competitively, no it doesn't. But the MLE in Texas is definitely more money than in Cal. And it goes a much looonger way, too.

If LA's not going to pony up, his best play would seem to be Portland...he'd get the money and the great team outlook, too.

Culburn369
07-02-2009, 05:26 PM
If LA's not going to pony up, his best play would seem to be Portland...he'd get the money and the great team outlook, too.

Yeah, great outlook=perennial Lakers fart catchers. Like the Kings.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 05:36 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/hitler3.gif (http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/hitler3.gif)
I lol'ed...

DMX7
07-02-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm LMFAO at you Laker fans who thought he was going to stay just because of "loyalty" since money wasn't going to be the deciding factor.

Culburn369
07-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm LMFAO at you Spurs fans who thought Duncan could get separation from the floor aside from bedtime.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-02-2009, 05:44 PM

KSeal
07-02-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm LMFAO at you Laker fans who thought he was going to stay just because of "loyalty" since money wasn't going to be the deciding factor.

Who thought that? Of course he needs to get paid, he deserves it. I think most are made at how big a baby he is acting just because the Lakers gave him a bigger contract then anyone else has offered and said they're willing to match any bigger offers he get yet he's crying about it to ESPN and threatening to leave for shit cities for less money, it just seems like he doesn't understand how negotiations work.

According to that Chris Brusaird guy from ESPN (he's probably wrong), Artest's first choice is LA if Houston doesn't give him an offer, Mitch should just go sign Ron for the full MLE, he's an upgrade over Trevor anyways and is cheaper so that means more money to throw at Lamar, I'd do it.

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 05:47 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3635/3468902228_c7a6e1aec8.jpg

DrHouse
07-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Lakers = 2009 NBA Champions

If you want to LMAO at that go ahead.

Spurs = 2009 1st round LOSERS to the shittastic Mavericks. Fucking pathetic :lmao

sook
07-02-2009, 06:53 PM
If ariza signs with houston i would be fine. Because basically we just swapped him and artest, and Yao is injured, so it actually works out for both teams, because LA just got a whole lot better

ginobili's bald spot
07-02-2009, 07:31 PM
I hope you guys get Ariza.

Banzai
07-02-2009, 07:42 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3635/3468902228_c7a6e1aec8.jpg
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/18/catinternet.jpg (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=3729)

KSeal
07-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I hope Ariza ends up in Houston, it's a good spot for him. They've got a good young core there.

Roxsfan
07-02-2009, 09:11 PM
splash