PDA

View Full Version : Celtics offer Wallace MLE, per ESPN

TD4THREE
07-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Just saw it on ESPN. looking for a link.

Cheddz
07-02-2009, 04:44 PM
We should counter it and throw in some Taco Cabana....I like the Mexican Dinner. De-licious.

clubalien
07-02-2009, 04:44 PM
how many years 20?

BlackSwordsMan
07-02-2009, 04:45 PM
oh well there's always mcdyess

King K
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303449

Here is the link!

completely deck
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303449

The Globe, citing a single NBA source, said that Celtics managing partner Wyc Grousbeck, team president Danny Ainge, coach Doc Rivers and all-stars Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, all met with Wallace for three hours in Detroit.
The Celtics are reportedly offering a contract using the mid-level exception, the Globe reported. The newspaper said that Wallace didn't make a decision during the meeting.

dbestpro
07-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Celts are offering 2 years. Give him 3 and he is yours.

Vic Petro
07-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Hello Antonio? This is RC Buford...

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Wait, I don't understand the replies in this thread about giving up..did you guys not expect Boston to make an offer? LOL..

crc21209
07-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Just saw it on ESPN. looking for a link.

Yup, it's posted in the big Rasheed thread.

Jdspur20
07-02-2009, 04:50 PM
this doesnt mean anything. he didnt agree to it. I bet he meets with the spurs next.

crc21209
07-02-2009, 04:51 PM
this doesnt mean anything. he didnt agree to it. I bet he meets with the spurs next.

He probably has already met with them or is meeting with them as we speak. Although it wont be publicized as much as the meeting with the attention whore Celtics. :lol

BlackSwordsMan
07-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Wait, I don't understand the replies in this thread about giving up..did you guys not expect Boston to make an offer? LOL..

no but if he signs with boston it's not the end of world

clubalien
07-02-2009, 04:53 PM

I doubt spurs would offer a 5 year MLE offer that is why my reply of years is significant.

Offering more year could be key if there is doubt Rwallace can get a higher contract next year.

dbestpro
07-02-2009, 04:55 PM
I doubt spurs would offer a 5 year MLE offer that is why my reply of years is significant.

Offering more year could be key if there is doubt Rwallace can get a higher contract next year.

Celtics are offering two years and alot of ass kissin. Give him 3 years and he'll sign without the ass kissin.

Jdspur20
07-02-2009, 04:55 PM
He probably has already met with them or is meeting with them as we speak. Although it wont be publicized as much as the meeting with the attention whore Celtics. :lol

very true, especially when your dealing with a giant vagina like ray allen.

ffadicted
07-02-2009, 04:56 PM
lol @ Wallace riding the bench for 2 years at the MLE

How about a starting job in SA at the MLE for 3 years, officially completing the best position to position lineup in the NBA

PG - Parker
SG - Ginobili
SF - Jefferson
PF - Duncan
C - Wallace

Come on Rasheed, don't be a pussy, come to texas. Boston is gay, and KG already uses up the yearly swearing quota during training camp, there's no place for you there.

CGD
07-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Nothing unexpected. MLE/2yr.

Kind of glad the C's (officially) showed there hand first.

ulosturedge
07-02-2009, 04:57 PM
It would be kind of the natural state of affairs for an offer to come promptly after meeting with your prospect. Anything else would look poorly on them.

And if this was over already Sheed would have just signed and been done with it.

SsKSpurs21
07-02-2009, 04:58 PM
The Globe, citing a single NBA source, said that Celtics managing partner Wyc Grousbeck, team president Danny Ainge, coach Doc Rivers and all-stars Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, all met with Wallace for three hours in Detroit.

good lord, they should have taken big papi and tom brady along as well!

Spurs should take along a southside drug dealer and convince Wallace that we get better sticky icky down here!

crc21209
07-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Nothing unexpected. MLE/2yr.

Kind of glad the C's (officially) showed there hand first.

Them officially offering a contract should get the ball rolling on things here...hopefully we hear something tonight or tomorrow.

BlackSwordsMan
07-02-2009, 05:00 PM
good lord, they should have taken big papi and tom brady along as well!

Spurs should take along a southside drug dealer and convince Wallace that we get better sticky icky down here!

sweeten the deal with becky hammon present

crc21209
07-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Sportscenter just kicked off with the "news" that the Celtics offered Sheed a 2 yr deal worth the MLE. Chris Broussard is going to comment on it in a bit....

Kobayagi
07-02-2009, 05:06 PM
One of my favourite players on the team I hate the most? :depressed

I hope it doesn't happen. Come on Sheed, don't do it.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Sheed would look better in silver and black than green and white anyway....

crc21209
07-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Sheed would look better in silver and black than green and white anyway....

Sheed + Silver & Black= Bad ass :tu

Sheed + Green & White= Gay :td

:lol

lefty
07-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Wallace to Spurs = Wallace to Boston

Because Lakers would be fucked anyway :tu

FTL

crc21209
07-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Chris Broussard just said on Sportscenter that now he thinks Sheed is going to wait this out but ultimately end up in Boston. He said the Spurs are not showing as much interest in Sheed as people may think...and that the Spurs are targeting Gortat with the whole MLE instead. Also, that Sheed would end up in Boston also because of their "aggressiveness" to get him.

duncan228
07-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Boston Herald.

Celtics make offer to Wallace (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1182621&srvc=sports&position=0)
By Mark Murphy

A Celtics delegation, spearheaded by the Big Three, met with Rasheed Wallace this afternoon in Detroit, according to two well-placed league sources close to the negotiations, and offered the free agent center a contract.

According to both sources, the C’s have offered Wallace a two-year contract for the $5.8 million mid-level exception. Danny Ainge, the team’s executive director of basketball operations, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce , coach Doc Rivers and co-owner Wyc Grousbeck were all on hand for the Celtics.

Garnett, long a Wallace admirer, has reportedly jumped into the process as a passionate recruiter - clearly stirred by what the 7-footer can contribute with his shooting touch and capable defense. Pierce and Allen, who in the past have played a role in signing such free agents as P.J. Brown, have also lent their influence to the situation.

The sit-down was said to be part of a series of meetings being set up with all of the teams interested in signing the free agent power forward/center. The San Antonio Spurs and the Cleveland Cavaliers — who introduced Shaquille O’Neal as their latest addition today — were also expected to meet with Wallace.

Though Wallace is fielding these pitches relatively early in the free agency process, teams have been warned that he may take some time before making a decision.

“I get the feeling that this is going to take some time,” said one of the sources. “People who make commitments this early sometimes make mistakes.”

The Celtics, thanks to Wallace’s friendship with Garnett, are an attractive destination for the former Piston, though all of his reported suitors are contenders.

With Wallace clearly Plan A for the C’s, the rest of the field is apparently Plan B. Their interest in Grant Hill, for instance, is said to be of a low priority while the Celtics still have a chance of signing Wallace.

Considering that Wallace is expected to command the full mid-level exception, further free agent signings by the Celtics would be limited to the veteran’s minimum of $1.9 million.

Indeed, Ainge spoke highly of a minimum contract signing earlier this week when he said, “sometimes those are the players who work out the best.”

Mr. Body
07-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Ok, MLE + $1!

z0sa
07-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Oh no!!! They made him an offer?!!

Why isn't this in the wallace thread?

bigfan
07-02-2009, 05:19 PM
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=dorsubtopic&L=5&L0=Home&L1=Individuals+and+Families&L2=Personal+Income+Tax&L3=Current+Year+Tax+Information&L4=Guide+to+Personal+Income+Tax&sid=Ador

DesignatedT
07-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Chris Broussard just said on Sportscenter that now he thinks Sheed is going to wait this out but ultimately end up in Boston. He said the Spurs are not showing as much interest in Sheed as people may think...and that the Spurs are targeting Gortat with the whole MLE instead. Also, that Sheed would end up in Boston also because of their "aggressiveness" to get him.

i hope this isnt true. i can see the spurs actually wanting to sign maybe dyess or gortat instead of sheed just because our teams of the past never had so many offensive weapons and the FO feels like duncan parker and manu with now jefferson can get it done but the WHOLE MLE for an unproven Gortat just doesnt sound to smart to me even though hes young.

Das Texan
07-02-2009, 05:21 PM
good for boston.

timvp
07-02-2009, 05:22 PM
This is hardly news. Of course Boston was going to offer him a contract.

galvatron3000
07-02-2009, 05:24 PM
If the Spurs aren't going after Sheed, then who in the world are they pursuing that's worth neglecting him. Could it be they have spoken to his rep and understand he's not coming or is something else going on? I just don't get pursing Gortat over Sheed for the money. Gortat should be plan B and I'm sure he can get more than the MLE, Sheed not so sure.

Mr. Body
07-02-2009, 05:24 PM
This is hardly news. Of course Boston was going to offer him a contract.

I don't think so. They were gonna sign him without one.

timvp
07-02-2009, 05:25 PM
I would merge this thread but I've already merged this same "news" like five times. Apparently Spurs fans think this is a huge deal.

scottspurs
07-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Wallace to Spurs = Wallace to Boston

Because Lakers would be fucked anyway :tu

FTL

Fuck the Lakers and the Celtics.:flag:

ElNono
07-02-2009, 05:28 PM
This is the press release we're most likely never to see:

The Express-News, citing a single NBA source, said that Spurs managing partner David Robinson, team president RC Buford, coach Greg Popovich and all-stars Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, all met with Wallace for three hours in Detroit.
The Spurs are reportedly offering a 3 year contract using the mid-level exception, the Express-News reported. The newspaper said that Wallace didn't make a decision during the meeting.

Rasho was worth a trip to Europe but Sheed is not worth a trip to Detroit?

Walton Buys Off Me
The only 'news' here is that San Antonio would rather offer the full MLE to Gortat which is frightening if accurate.

Spurs9
Wow I hope we land Rasheed, I can't even imagine how sick that would be. :downspin:

DesignatedT
Although i have been all for pursuing sheed and have been dreaming about a starting five of tony manu rj sheed and tim I just start to worry if sheed is willing to take that much of a drastic cut to go to the 1st or 2nd option to the 5th option... and boston is not the same thing because i feel like we have a better bench and better coaching and im sure boston is up there promising anything and everything.

so i could see the spurs targeting gortat or dyess or some more "role-player" type big that can come in and give solid minutes and defense instead of having to worry about another superstar getting his shots and keeping him happy on and off the court.

im all for gortat and he is a good YOUNG talent.. but the whole MLE does seem kind of steep.

IMO we dont NEED sheed with jefferson now. sheed NEEDS us if he wants to win. and i think maybe thats more of the approach the FO is taking. Gortat or dyess and another big will be plenty for us to win another :lobt2:

galvatron3000
07-02-2009, 05:32 PM
We've got to put some defense, shot blocking and quickness (energy) next to Duncan. Sheed and energy maybe a polar opposite but he can defend and help on the glass also on offense he "can" score in the paint and shoot with range. I'd rather they pursue the guy but weed smoking maybe a deterant but if the Celtics meet the SPurs in the Finals with Sheed, the Duncan without a loss in the Finals may end.

rayray2k8
07-02-2009, 05:33 PM
You know, this feels a lot like last year when both teams were fighting for Maggette.
Of course, we all know how that turned out. :lol

galvatron3000
07-02-2009, 05:36 PM
With Gortat verbally committing to the MAvs I suspect the SPurs know something or we are going with Dyess or the equivilent to Mason this summer far from the Challenge I heard R C talking about on the video. Dyess will do but Sheed is a surer thing. They must be listening to Larry Brown about Sheed, the same LB that we beat in 2005 and refuses to play rookies and sabotaged the USA Team, yeah I snuck that in.

clubalien
07-02-2009, 05:38 PM

this is interesting because gortat said a team offered full mle, and houston denied it was them

However, spurs sad they liked 4 in FA. He isn't a 4 more of a center so this is weird or spurs are doing the whole smokescreen for 4s and signing 5s

DesignatedT
07-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Gortat verbally committed to mavs? did i miss that?

crc21209
07-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Gortat verbally committed to mavs? did i miss that?

Yup, it's on espn.com already. Gortat has verbally committed to the Mavs and will sign a contract with them on July 8th.

DesignatedT
07-02-2009, 05:43 PM
hmm. so its either dallas or orlando now correct? no other teams in play. if orlando matches hes there if not hes in dallas...

MaNuMaNiAc
07-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Do we really have a remote chance at landing Sheed? or is it just another wet dream? Anyone think the Spurs are ready to outbid Boston?

DesignatedT
07-02-2009, 05:47 PM
dyess + gooden or sheed? seems like what the FO is debating to me.

spurspokesman
07-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Although i have been all for pursuing sheed and have been dreaming about a starting five of tony manu rj sheed and tim I just start to worry if sheed is willing to take that much of a drastic cut to go to the 1st or 2nd option to the 5th option... and boston is not the same thing because i feel like we have a better bench and better coaching and im sure boston is up there promising anything and everything.

so i could see the spurs targeting gortat or dyess or some more "role-player" type big that can come in and give solid minutes and defense instead of having to worry about another superstar getting his shots and keeping him happy on and off the court.

im all for gortat and he is a good YOUNG talent.. but the whole MLE does seem kind of steep.

IMO we dont NEED sheed with jefferson now. sheed NEEDS us if he wants to win. and i think maybe thats more of the approach the FO is taking. Gortat or dyess and another big will be plenty for us to win another :lobt2:

Perfectly put

clubalien
07-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Yup, it's on espn.com already. Gortat has verbally committed to the Mavs and will sign a contract with them on July 8th.

maybe the spurs frontoffice put out to press they were going after him even though he is committed, s it looks to fans they are doing something when they really aren't

well we tried but he turned us down, but we are trying excuse

barbacoataco
07-02-2009, 05:55 PM
This has been beat to death already, but I just don't see why everyone's so caught up on Wallace. The last few times I've seen him play he looked like a shell of his old self.

Spursfan092120
The bottom line is that the front office will do what they have to do to win next year.

FkLA

:depressed

Why the fuck wouldnt the Spurs go after Sheed hard? I dont get it and especially when their number one option is Marcin mothafuckin' Gortat. I hope the Mavs get him, Im not so sure about him. The Mavs are so retarded, they see a player do well for a season or in this case a series and they go crazy...look how giving Dampier all that money turned out. Say no to Gortat. Id rather have Dice or Zaza if we cant get Sheed.

DesignatedT
07-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Dyess :tu

EricB
07-02-2009, 06:05 PM
I haven't seen one consistent article yet about what the Spurs are doing.

One has them after Gortat, another Sheed, another mcDyess aanother Josh Childress.

CGD
07-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Hypothetically, let's assume C's get Wallace, Gortat does go to Dallas, and Houston overpays to get Dice considering the Yao news.

Where does that put us in our big man pursuits?

Do we start thinking about re-signing Gooden or bringing back Fab.?

clubalien
07-02-2009, 06:11 PM
we would sign fab ;[

i think we should call rasho but i doubt he wants to play for spurs

EricB
07-02-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm a little last but Chris B. said on ESPN earlier that the Spurs were not going after Sheed like expected. instead they offered the full MLE to Gortat.

I am wondering if we are being quiet about Sheed talks because we are the Spurs or if the rumors about Sheed visiting us before July first are ture and the Spurs really don't want to get in trouble.

Its likely both. But what is also likely; the Spurs would never spread a large news story that Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Richard Jefferson, Tim Duncan, Pop and RC are meeting one player. That is almost gang up peer pressure if you ask me.

I'd say its because the Spurs said heres the contract you know who we are what we offer, sorry we can't come and have a big fellatio fest with you.

z0sa
07-02-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm a little last but Chris B. said on ESPN earlier that the Spurs were not going after Sheed like expected. instead they offered the full MLE to Gortat.

I am wondering if we are being quiet about Sheed talks because we are the Spurs or if the rumors about Sheed visiting us before July first are ture and the Spurs really don't want to get in trouble.

Its likely both. But what is also likely; the Spurs would never spread a large news story that Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Richard Jefferson, Tim Duncan, Pop and RC are meeting one player. That is almost gang up peer pressure if you ask me.

Exactly. That's never been Pop or the Spurs' style. Remember when we were courting Michael Finley? Phoenix sent him fan e-mails, Miami blew him up on huge posters outside the stadium, etc. Pop's strategy? Show up by himself, calmly guarantee him minutes on a contending team, and let him make his own decision without the endless charade.

These men are not stupid. They are weighing their options, regardless of the 6 possible future teammates who showed up to high five you for no reason.

EricB
07-02-2009, 06:17 PM
Bass and Zaza are likely options.

I'm all for Zaza.

I left out Brandon Bass too.

That one I still don't understand.

celldweller
07-02-2009, 06:17 PM

One day Chris says he's going to SA, the next day to Boston, etc. It's my conclusion that Chris is talking out his ass. Only Rasheed knows what's going to happen. If Rasheed A. Wallace is so sold on going to Boston especially with the "Garnett Dog and Pony show" he just experienced, he would of already sign the damn contract while geeting a blow from Ainge. I have a feeling he's coming to SA. (I guess now I'm talking out my ass.) :lol

DBMethos
07-02-2009, 06:18 PM
The Celtics are just offering the offer that they're supposed to offer. :wakeup

200 miles
07-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Just get Zaza already before he goes too.

jgome21
07-02-2009, 06:22 PM
well according to hoopsworld , Gortat made a verbal agreement wit the Mavs. IMO Spurs needa pusher harder for Sheed and Mcdyess, they have the experience we need in the playoffs. Sheed can strech the floor and still play defense are a high caliber. As long as Bonner isnt starting im happy, but I dont see Fab being on the spurs again either cuz hes a waste of a roster space.

CGD
07-02-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm all for Zaza.

I left out Brandon Bass too.

That one I still don't understand.

Agreed on the Bass point. He's undersized, plays little defense, and we just drafted a much better version of him a week ago.

Admittedly I'm not too familiar with Zaza's game, but I just wonder if he would really be a marked upgrade over Gooden/Fab. Plus, Zaza will come at a premium.

FkLA
07-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Fuck Bass and fuck Gortat.

Option #1 should be Sheed by far. Second should be Dice, very far behind Sheed though. And last Zaza but only if we become desperate and the first two are taken.

Spurs Brazil
07-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Well, Gortat will sign with the Mavs

45 bank shot
07-02-2009, 06:33 PM
wft, the door of big men is closing for us

ploto
07-02-2009, 06:38 PM
The Spurs would never spread a large news story that Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Richard Jefferson, Tim Duncan, Pop and RC are meeting one player. That is almost gang up peer pressure if you ask me.

If anything like that happened, it would leak out somehow. Kark Malone came to town to eat at Water Street with Pop and TD, and it hit the news before he ever left the restaurant. And we all remember the spectacle of Jason Kidd coming to town and the helicopter hovering over as he, his wife, Timmy, and Amy drove out IH10.

cdcast
07-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Sheed didn't sign with the Celtics, hopefully the Spurs still have a shot.

Regardless of which big the Spurs sign with their MLE, they still need to
trade (Finley, Bonner, and Williams) for one of the following:

1. Camby- maybe less likely now that they traded Randolph.
2. Foster
3. Nocioni- backup SF and can be PF when Spurs go small.
4. Collison

raspsa
07-02-2009, 07:18 PM
That's quite a delegation the Celtics sent to Detroit to stroke Wallace's ego.. I hear the Spurs are sending the Coyote LOL.. seriously though I hope Spurs are the last team he listens to.. maybe Pop and RC can come up with something special.

DBMethos
07-02-2009, 07:21 PM
In Pop and RC we trust.

baseline bum
07-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Spurs gotta offer him that third year. It's overpaying, but Holt's already showed the team is going for broke to win next year anyways.

bresilhac
07-02-2009, 07:34 PM
I like the fact that Wallace has been relatively durable over the years. So giving him the third year of the contract wouldn't bother me as much as offering it to another less durable player. Yes the SAS would be getting a diminished Wallace, one not close to the 2005 Wallace, but it would be Rasheed Wallace's skillset nonetheless.

bostonguy
07-02-2009, 07:46 PM
If the Spurs offer that 3rd year, he is yours. IMO Sheed is fucking with the Celts. He just took advantage of all the gifts and meals Boston paid for. A 2 year deal is nice but a 3 year deal will land him with the Spurs. Plus in 1-2 years, that contract will be very tradeable.

lefty
07-02-2009, 07:51 PM
That's quite a delegation the Celtics sent to Detroit to stroke Wallace's ego.. I hear the Spurs are sending the Coyote LOL.. seriously though I hope Spurs are the last team he listens to.. maybe Pop and RC can come up with something special.
I'm sure Sheed still remember losing to Boston in 2008

He is just messing with them IMO

DBMethos
07-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I don't think that Sheed is messing with Boston, I'm sure he's just doing his due diligence to respectfully listen to all offers. In the end, I think that he'll realize that SA represents his best shot at multiple championships in a stable environment, and he'll come to the Spurs.

montgod
07-02-2009, 07:58 PM
I just watched a telecast on ESPN about the Celts offering Wallace a contract. Chris Broussard's take is that he thinks the Celts will eventually end up getting Wallace over San Antonio. He said that Wallace isn't in a rush to make a decision and is just sitting back and looking at his options. Chris Broussard stated that San Antonio just hasn't shown as much interest as the Celtics and are hesitant to give Wallace the MLE. Their target was Gortat and was willing to give him the MLE, but unfortunately, Dallas has already secured him.

If this is true... what direction will the Spurs go in now? My assumption would be a full court press on McDyess.

tp2021
07-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Spurs gotta offer him that third year. It's overpaying, but Holt's already showed the team is going for broke to win next year anyways.

the 3rd year won't be so bad, considering RJ's will expire after 2 championships.

:smokin

murpjf88
07-02-2009, 08:03 PM
With Artest going to the Lakers, they must have Wallace. No ifs, ands or buts about it,

cheney212
07-02-2009, 08:05 PM
I just watched a telecast on ESPN about the Celts offering Wallace a contract. Chris Broussard's take is that he thinks the Celts will eventually end up getting Wallace over San Antonio. He said that Wallace isn't in a rush to make a decision and is just sitting back and looking at his options. Chris Broussard stated that San Antonio just hasn't shown as much interest as the Celtics and are hesitant to give Wallace the MLE. Their target was Gortat and was willing to give him the MLE, but unfortunately, Dallas has already secured him.

If this is true... what direction will the Spurs go in now? My assumption would be a full court press on McDyess.
DAMNIT! if this ends up happening we better get mcdyess

SenorSpur
07-02-2009, 09:40 PM
I love how those blowhards on ESPN's PTI are already acting as though this is a done deal. They were discussing the % chances of Sheed helping the C's win another title.

Kermit
07-02-2009, 09:44 PM
I love how those blowhards on ESPN's PTI are already acting as though this is a done deal. They were discussing the % chances of Sheed helping the C's win another title.

Was Bob Ryan volunteering a reach-around? I'm sure Doc brought that to the table as well.

ohmwrecker
07-02-2009, 10:44 PM
I agree that if Wallace really wanted to be in Boston this thing would already be a done deal. We should offer the third year and get this deal done. Wallace is the best option out there. All arguments to the contrary have nothing to do with basketball and everything to do with assumptions and hearsay.
McDyess would be a decent option, but he does not bring as complete a game to the table as Wallace. Gooden did an OK job last year, but isn't really on the same level. Gortat? Eh. Pachulia? The only thing I like about his game is his ability to annoy Garnett. Dejuan Blair > Brandon Bass. Who am I forgetting? Does it matter?
Rasheed Wallace is the most talented and smartest FA out there and all you folks who disagree don't know much about basketball. The character issue argument is laughable and meaningless. He will be a Spur and he will fall in line.

SonOfAGun
07-02-2009, 10:49 PM

haha yes! I turned that on midway through and was certain that Sheed had signed with BOS by the way those tools were talking about it.

angelbelow
07-03-2009, 01:36 AM
is it me or is it a really bad idea to leak the offer before its official. celtics may have to weed out whoevers leaking all this info.

Kindergarten Cop
07-03-2009, 01:37 AM
is it me or is it a really bad idea to leak the offer before its official. celtics may have to weed out whoevers leaking all this info.

http://www.geocities.com/stimpysvideotrading/bandb.jpg

Huh, huh. Huh, huh - he said weed. :lol

holcs50
07-03-2009, 02:25 AM
I'm sure Sheed still remember losing to Boston in 2008

He is just messing with them IMO

I bet he also remember 2005! :lol

I think that third year might be the clincher too. Now i don't know if he's worth that because I think after this year and next he's going to be looking pretty bad. Maybe 2 years and then 3rd a player or team option or something like that. Or we could be like your performance last year sucked, and go for most likely a cheaper dice. It's hard to tell who would fit better-i mean we can speculate all we want about their playing styles, but no ones knows for sure who will bring what. I'm sure the spurs will figure it out just as long as they get 1 or the other I'll be happy.

crc21209
07-03-2009, 03:00 AM
I agree that if Wallace really wanted to be in Boston this thing would already be a done deal. We should offer the third year and get this deal done. Wallace is the best option out there. All arguments to the contrary have nothing to do with basketball and everything to do with assumptions and hearsay.
McDyess would be a decent option, but he does not bring as complete a game to the table as Wallace. Gooden did an OK job last year, but isn't really on the same level. Gortat? Eh. Pachulia? The only thing I like about his game is his ability to annoy Garnett. Dejuan Blair > Brandon Bass. Who am I forgetting? Does it matter?
Rasheed Wallace is the most talented and smartest FA out there and all you folks who disagree don't know much about basketball. The character issue argument is laughable and meaningless. He will be a Spur and he will fall in line.

Another reason I want Sheed over Dice is that Sheed is taller people! Dice is only 6'9.

lurker23
07-03-2009, 03:03 AM
I think 3 years at the MLE is overpaying for Sheed.

That said, sometimes you have to overpay to get what you want. If my options are an extra year that we may regret 2 years down the line, or cut-rate talent now, give him that third year and be done with it.

crc21209
07-03-2009, 03:05 AM
I think 3 years at the MLE is overpaying for Sheed.

That said, sometimes you have to overpay to get what you want. If my options are an extra year that we may regret 2 years down the line, or cut-rate talent now, give him that third year and be done with it.

3 years of TP, Manu, Jefferson, TD, and Sheed would be fucking awesome though and could get us 1 more title, hell...even 2.

afireinside20
07-03-2009, 04:09 AM
Come on Sheed, fuck the Celtics!!! Come join the Spurs and get yourself another ring. :toast

NewJerSpur
07-03-2009, 04:12 AM
Come on Sheed, fuck the Celtics!!! Come join the Spurs and get yourself another ring. :toast

Celtic fans are probably saying the same thing, just switching the teams around in that sentence. :lol

crc21209
07-03-2009, 04:17 AM
Just saw this from the InsideHoops.com forums :lol

Re: Sheed to Boston done deal?

"I just saw that Rasheed's agent said its 51/49 in favor of him signing with the Spurs over Boston."

"IF Boston loses out on sheed, they're expected to go after McDyess. Whoopy doo."

Don't know where this guy got that statement from but this guy is a C's fan.

http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137790&page=8

afireinside20
07-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Just saw this from the InsideHoops.com forums :lol

Re: Sheed to Boston done deal?

"I just saw that Rasheed's agent said its 51/49 in favor of him signing with the Spurs over Boston."

"IF Boston loses out on sheed, they're expected to go after McDyess. Whoopy doo."

Don't know where this guy got that statement from but this guy is a C's fan.

http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137790&page=8

Damn, let's hope that dude is right

DBMethos
07-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Even if he's a legit source, 51/49 isn't a very big margin...Pop needs to get to work. Does Sheed like wine?

MarHill
07-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Even if he's a legit source, 51/49 isn't a very big margin...Pop needs to get to work. Does Sheed like wine?

I hope Sheed likes wine!!!

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

The_Game
07-03-2009, 07:42 AM
offering sheed 3 years would be stupid...2 is the max.

K-State Spur
07-03-2009, 08:56 AM

according to laker fan, spurs won't be competing in 3 years anways, so why worry about it?

Cheddz
07-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Sometimes you gotta sweeten the pot and worry about that third year later. If Boston's offering two, offer three and give him that nest egg for retirement.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2009, 10:07 AM

Translation:

I'm scared shitless of a healthy Spurs team with Rasheed.

exstatic
07-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Three years is Duncan's window. OTOH, two years is when RJ and Parker's contracts expire.

Split the difference. Offer 3 years MLE, third year 50% guaranteed.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 10:51 AM
The 3rd year matters a little. It is a commitment, after all. But in terms of competing for championships based upon what we know today, it is a trivial matter.

It would be nice to have a partially guaranteed 3rd year as that could be a nice trade asset when the Spurs are beginning to prepare for life after Duncan and have a team built around TP.

Of course, in some respects, the Spurs are building their team around TP now. Duncan gets his touches, but TP is the focal point of the offense. Outside of the Big 4, the Spurs are getting young, fast, and long. The game is moving that way. The Spurs are lucky in that the youngest member of the Big 4 is a prototype for the way the game is headed.

Mahinmi, Gist, and Blair are the kinds of bigs you'd want to complement TP. While, yes, a Wallace or a McDyess would be a nice near term fit, I think the Spurs will be in good shape as the game and they evolve.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 11:01 AM
A 3rd year is not that big of a deal, we turned Oberto, Thomas, and Bowen into Richard Jefferson. I am sure we could add a younger piece for Sheed at that time.

DBMethos
07-03-2009, 11:03 AM
3 years for Sheed >>> 0 years for no Sheed

Cheddz
07-03-2009, 12:00 PM
3 years for Sheed >>> 0 years for no Sheed

QFT.

:downspin:

Russ
07-03-2009, 12:18 PM
If you repeat something long enough, it becomes the truth.

I have been skeptical of Rasheed as the answer to the Spurs' big man woes because I don't think he can guard Gasol or Bynum, stop layups at the rim, or be an effective defensive running mate for Duncan.

I also think there will be better (and cheaper) solutions if the Spurs miss out on Rasheed.

But now I give in. I just hope that this many people can't be this wrong about something (although the world has disproved that a million times).

I also hope that Rasheed to the Spurs (if it happens) doesn't use up all the money for Splitter next summer.

Splitter added to this team would likely mean a title (this year or next).

The_Game
07-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Translation:

Why do spurs fans keep using that stupid line? why would Laker fans be scared of spurs adding sheed? the guy is good but he is not close to the player he was...he will help but won't add that much.

I want spurs to sign sheed...makes Spurs/Lakers more interesting and at least should be closer.

HarlemHeat37
07-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Why wouldn't Wallace be able to guard them?..if there's one part of 'Sheed's game that is still great, it's post defense..Gasol is a great player, but Wallace can do some damage against him..he has length, and he's physical inside, something Gasol hates..Andrew "5 fouls" Bynum is irrelevant for now BTW..

Ditty
07-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Why do spurs fans keep using that stupid line? why would Laker fans be scared of spurs adding sheed? the guy is good but he is not close to the player he was...he will help but won't add that much.

I want spurs to sign sheed...makes Spurs/Lakers more interesting and at least should be closer.

it does make it better duncan and sheed are two of the best big men defenders still in the league im agine them helping each other definsively:wow that would be scary to get in the paint to think you have a open layup duncan has always made pau gasol life misearable even when he was in memphis. last year duncan had to guard bynum and bonner guarded gasol. this year but even walace on gasol and gasol wont be going anywhere, just add duncan and gasol and he will be shut down literally:lol

if were healthy this year who in which ariza was the only one that can keep up with parker except a 40 year old derek fisher. parker maybe will go off for 40 against the lakers ever game :toast

Mugen
07-03-2009, 12:33 PM

Translation: I love the dick.

EricB
07-03-2009, 12:58 PM
:lol

This forum sometimes brightens up a tough day when your having one.

Amazing I've been trolling around these internets for almost 8 years now.

Yeesh.

ploto
07-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I wonder- if the Spurs tie up Rasheed for three years, would Splitter even want to come next summer?

Tully365
07-03-2009, 01:50 PM
If you repeat something long enough, it becomes the truth.

I have been skeptical of Rasheed as the answer to the Spurs' big man woes because I don't think he can guard Gasol or Bynum, stop layups at the rim, or be an effective defensive running mate for Duncan.

I also think there will be better (and cheaper) solutions if the Spurs miss out on Rasheed.

But now I give in. I just hope that this many people can't be this wrong about something (although the world has disproved that a million times).

I also hope that Rasheed to the Spurs (if it happens) doesn't use up all the money for Splitter next summer.

Splitter added to this team would likely mean a title (this year or next).

I hear you. After reading lots of posts in Artest threads about him not being a good defender anymore and being a "chucker" I looked up Rasheed's numbers from last year and compared them:

Artest
.401 FG
.399 3 PT

Rasheed
.419 FG
.354 3 PT

I'm beginning to wonder if some fans are overlooking Rasheed's shortcomings due to the excitement of possibly landing a big name FA. If Artest is a SF shooting 40.1% and is a chucker, how can Rasheed playing center and shooting 41.9% not also be deemed one? Rasheed's FG% last year was lower than Michael Finley's!

RobinsontoDuncan
07-03-2009, 02:20 PM

Yes stupid spurs fans, god. I've been trying to enlighten them for weeks about how stupid they are for not liking the Lakers.... Don't they know only the Lakers can win the championship?

Thanks to people like the Game, who gallantly risks wasting his very important time to convert the hopelessly ignorant masses on Spurstalk, at least one soul may be saved today. the_Game is by far one of the more compassionate people on the Internets, willing to sacrifice the potential for a great social life on worthless spurs posters