PDA

View Full Version : Artest to the Lakers..

Pages : [1] 2

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 05:40 PM
According to CBS Sports, Artest says he is signing with the Lakers..

so it looks like they'll lose Ariza..

absolutely great news IMO..

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Damn.

Spursfan092120
Artest said today that he was signing with the Knicks, the Lakers, the Nuggets, and last night he was signing with Circuit City..the guy is nuts, and is having as much fun as he can. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously until he signs.

benefactor
Outstanding. The Lakers just got worse by adding him. We need to vbookie how long it will be before Laker fan turns on him.

DAF86
Please "Flying Spaghetti Monster" let this be true.

TheSpursFNRule
07-02-2009, 05:43 PM
it doesnt say that anywhere I just looked....

Muser
So if they did sign Artest, what does that mean for Odom? Can they still re-sign him?

jaffies
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/05/08/alg_kobe-artest.jpg

crc21209
Wow, this might actually be true this time around. :lol.

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 05:44 PM
It's according to CBS Basketball Writer Ken Berger's Twitter..he broke the news that Artest just personally told him..

crc21209
07-02-2009, 05:45 PM
It's according to CBS Basketball Writer Ken Berger's Twitter..he broke the news that Artest just personally told him..

Yeah it's on the top of the page.

BREAKING NEWS One-time All-Star forward Ron Artest tells CBSSports.com senior writer Ken Berger he'll be signing with the Lakers. React!

http://www.cbssports.com/

galvatron3000
not surprised, it started last summer

Mr.Bottomtooth
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/05/08/alg_kobe-artest.jpg

:lol

suitedkings
07-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Artest posted this on his twitter page last night. he has also been known to post BS on purpose to mess with his fans.

So we'll wait and see.

scottspurs
07-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Thats awesome, another bad shot taker on the lakers!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now their going to lose either Ariza or Odom for sure.

beachwood
07-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Artest said today that he was signing with the Knicks, the Lakers, the Nuggets, and last night he was signing with Circuit City..the guy is nuts, and is having as much fun as he can. I wouldn't take anything he says seriously until he signs.

He also wanted directions on how to take the bus from Orange County to LA.

vander
07-02-2009, 05:51 PM
So if they did sign Artest, what does that mean for Odom? Can they still re-sign him?

they can still re-sign Odom (with the tax it'll be 20 mil or so), but how on earth did they sign Artest? what do they have above the MLE?

iilluzioN
07-02-2009, 05:53 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130323

ALREADY A THREAD ABOUT THIS

coyotes_geek
07-02-2009, 05:55 PM
This is one of those "i'll believe it when i see it" things. What Artest says and what Artest does aren't always the same thing, not to mention Ron has been known to change his mind once or twice. Or 3 or 4 times. A day.

GooberNuts
07-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't know if this is good or bad for the Lakers. Assuming both Ariza and Artest would want the MLE, why take Artest over Ariza (who seems to have meshed into the Lakers system and was an important contributor this year - also he's younger than Artest, more athletic, and plays good defense). Why break up the championship team?

Muser
07-02-2009, 05:56 PM
I call BS until an official statement is released.

duncan228
07-02-2009, 05:59 PM
ALREADY A THREAD ABOUT THIS

No need to yell. :)

Duplicate threads happen all the time. And in Free Agency lots of things get posted on both the Spurs and the Basketball Central boards. If something doesn't belong it will get moved or merged or locked.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't know if this is good or bad for the Lakers. Assuming both Ariza and Artest would want the MLE, why take Artest over Ariza (who seems to have meshed into the Lakers system and was an important contributor this year - also he's younger than Artest, more athletic, and plays good defense). Why break up the championship team?
They are not taking Artest over Ariza. Ariza is walking away because he wants more than the MLE for LA.

SteelerNation
07-02-2009, 06:01 PM
lol. Only uneducated Spurs fans would think this is a good thing. Go to other teams forums and they are saying "why even have the playoffs? Just give the title to L.A. right now." If Artest becomes a Laker, its all over but the crying. Your little Richard Jefferson move is nothing compared to this.

Fish
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Bynum

Hahahahahaha...say goodnight, Spurs fans. Banner 16 is on its way to L.A.....hahahahahaha.

smrattler
07-02-2009, 06:04 PM
I thought Odom hated coming off the bench? I thought he wants to start?

So, Ariza's out and Artest comes in?

Who starts and who comes off the bench.

I don't see either Odom or Artest being the good soldier and play nice like that.

ulosturedge
07-02-2009, 06:04 PM
I can't see Artest just automatically conceding to the MLE. This reeks of bullshit lol. I wouldn't care though. Artest will be more of cancer to any team he joins imo.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 06:07 PM
lol. Only uneducated Spurs fans would think this is a good thing. Go to other teams forums and they are saying "why even have the playoffs? Just give the title to L.A. right now." If Artest becomes a Laker, its all over but the crying. Your little Richard Jefferson move is nothing compared to this.

Fish
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Bynum

Hahahahahaha...say goodnight, Spurs fans. Banner 16 is on its way to L.A.....hahahahahaha.

lol Lakers

z0sa
07-02-2009, 06:08 PM

Fish
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Bynum

lol artest chucking fadeaway airballs in Game 7 for Houston

Muser
07-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Laker 2nd unit

Morrison
Walton
Vujacic

Holy shit!

galvatron3000
07-02-2009, 06:15 PM
lol artest chucking fadeaway airballs in Game 7 for Houston

he won't be doing so in LA with the role they'll have him in, he won't ever be the 1st or 2nd option and depending who is there he won't be the third except occasionally. He's going to help them I'm not falling for all the talk about ball stopping and what not. Spurs fans should be concerned just based on matchups and we have yet to find a big to fill our starting spot and now guys are calling for Fab who didn't help us win last season. We need to re-think and understand what we need to do to win. SPurs may have a trade in the works.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 06:18 PM
he won't be doing so in LA with the role they'll have him in, he won't ever be the 1st or 2nd option and depending who is there he won't be the third except occasionally. He's going to help them I'm not falling for all the talk about ball stopping and what not. Spurs fans should be concerned just based on matchups and we have yet to find a big to fill our starting spot and now guys are calling for Fab who didn't help us win last season. We need to re-think and understand what we need to do to win. SPurs may have a trade in the works.
Make no mistake...Artest decides what option he is.

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 06:20 PM
that's the point..

Ron Artest is completely unable to play the role of anything past a #1 or #2 option..he was remotely successful in Houston because they had him in a playmaking role..he isn't a guy that can be a role player, due to his mentality and shot selection..he also doesn't play good defense anymore, people will see that now that he'll be on more National TV games..

his offense doesn't scare me at all, because it just takes away shots from Kobe and Gasol..his ball-hogging also takes away from Bynum's growth..

the Lakers got a significant upgrade in offensive talent with Artest over Ariza, but they got significantly worse in chemistry and fit..

of course there's the chance that he works out and fills into line, but we've never seen that from Ron Artest..

Bruno
07-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Well, it's a risky signing.

It could be great or turn into a disaster.

galvatron3000
07-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, it's a risky signing.

It could be great or turn into a disaster.

Agreed, I'm leaning towards good.

Libri
07-02-2009, 06:22 PM
and last night he was signing with Circuit City

Circuit City? I wonder if he knows anything about Motherboards and CPUs. :lol

z0sa
07-02-2009, 06:22 PM

Artest does not make that big a difference, sorry.

His defense will not cause more trouble for us than Ariza's did. Period. Ariza's length on TP is going to be sorely missed, first off, and Artest has never had great success on Manu. I'm unsure of his success on RJ but I'm guessing RJ will still get his points now that he's not the focal point of the offense.

Artest's offense will not much offset Ariza's, either. There are advantages to having a quiet, young roleplayer like Ariza compared to aging, mind-blown characters like Artest.

galvatron3000
07-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Artest does not make that big a difference, sorry.

His defense will not cause more trouble for us than Ariza's did. Period. Ariza's length on TP is going to be sorely missed, first off, and Artest has never had great success on Manu. I'm unsure of his success on RJ but I'm guessing RJ will still get his points now that he's not the focal point of the offense.

Artest's offense will not much offset Ariza's, either. There are advantages to having a quiet, young roleplayer like Ariza compared to aging, mind-blown characters like Artest.

How big of a ddifference do you think I'm implying?

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 06:27 PM
btw Galvatron, I agree with your assessment of our team..I don't think we would beat LA either way though without some upgrades to our roster..I think everybody can agree with that, which is why everybody wants a legit starting PF/C..

benefactor
07-02-2009, 06:28 PM
The first time that James Gist has Artest in front of him on the perimeter and he blows by him and throws it down people will understand why Artest to the Lakers was a good thing.

z0sa
07-02-2009, 06:28 PM
How big of a ddifference do you think I'm implying?

We need to re-think and understand what we need to do to win.

You're overreacting. We don't need to rethink anything. Get a quality big, sign someone with some or all of the MLE. They may not be mutually exclusive.

Sii
07-02-2009, 06:31 PM
wow this pretty much negates our richard jefferson trade. lakers will be winning rings for awhile now

LMAO overreact much?

galvatron3000
07-02-2009, 06:32 PM
You're overreacting. We don't need to rethink anything. Get a quality big, sign someone with some or all of the MLE. They may not be mutually exclusive.

overreacting how? We said the same thing, when I sayy re think I mean slow it down and make a sound decision, the kind you mentioned and the same thing I said. We do need to sign a quality big but with all the bring back Fab fans without finding a starting big first is sickening. Seems we have allowed Sheed to walk and to top it off the Lakers picked up Artest who can be a nightmare on both ends and we haven't solved our biggest problem yet, a big.

z0sa
07-02-2009, 06:33 PM
wow this pretty much negates our richard jefferson trade. lakers will be winning rings for awhile now

:lmao

superfedja
07-02-2009, 06:34 PM
lol I can't believe how many spurs fans are actualy happy Artest has signed with the Lakers. This isn't good news guys !

Artest will not be a headcase on the Lakers because he will be coached by Phil Jackson, who is a genius when it comes to dealing with superstars. He knows how to assemble a talented team and make sure that everyone knows their place. Artest won't be giving attitude to Jackson, if he does, he won't play. period.

This trade doesn't mean the Lakers will win a championship (bcuz they are a bunch of pussies with no attitude and no heart, they didn't even deserve this one). But they will be better cuz they get a guy who has some balls, plays with heart and isn't afraid of being physical (three things the Lakers needed DESPERETELY). So stop laughing at this trade it's a good one for the Lakers.

I still hope the Spurs win :D

tav1
07-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Bucher is saying it isn't true..interesting..

where?

DrHouse
07-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Yea the Lakers were such pussies and had no heart that they won the 2009 NBA Championship.

While the SPURS who supposedly have heart and toughness lost in the 1st round to a pathetic Dallas Maverick team despite having HCA.

scottspurs
07-02-2009, 06:37 PM
lol I can't believe how many spurs fans are actualy happy Artest has signed with the Lakers. This isn't good news guys !

Artest will not be a headcase on the Lakers because he will be coached by Phil Jackson, who is a genius when it comes to dealing with superstars. He knows how to assemble a talented team and make sure that everyone knows their place. Artest won't be giving attitude to Jackson, if he does, he won't play. period.

This trade doesn't mean the Lakers will win a championship (bcuz they are a bunch of pussies with no attitude and no heart, they didn't even deserve this one). But they will be better cuz they get a guy who has some balls, plays with heart and isn't afraid of being physical (three things the Lakers needed DESPERETELY). So stop laughing at this trade it's a good one for the Lakers.

I still hope the Spurs win :D

:wgaf:

Sii
he hasnt signed anywhere

Muser
I like how you failed to mention he likes to brick fade away half court shots.

Yeah, OTT I know but you get the point.

FkLA
07-02-2009, 06:40 PM
I dont think this is official yet, but if it happens I agree...Jackson can keep Artest in check and this pretty much cancels out the fact that theyre losing Ariza. They'll re-sign Odom so basically its the team that just won the title-Ariza+Artest. It will be a dog fight if we land Sheed or McDyess.

DrHouse
07-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Artest will likely not be a huge black hole if he comes to LA. If he does that he simply won't play. It's not like Houston where they had nobody else to handle the ball in the clutch.

In LA Ron will have a very well defined role as a 3rd/4th option at best. If he cannot accept that then he will not play, period. Given Phil's history with coaching unruly players I would be surprised if Artest acts out and plays himself off the team.

The bottom line is that Artest is a bigger, stronger, and better defender than Ariza is. If you didn't notice, Ariza got abused by both Ron Artest and Melo in the playoffs. He can't handle bulky SF's like Pierce or Lebron the way Artest can. He's also a better shooter than Ariza, a better passer, and more capable of creating for himself.

There is obviously going to be some risk, but the Lakers are not a stupid franchise. They don't have 15 rings for nothing.

Big Empty
07-02-2009, 06:45 PM
well I think it makes the Lakers better. Artest is an upgrade from Ariza imo and Artest always seems to give the Spurs trouble because of his size.

superfedja
07-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Yea the Lakers were such pussies and had no heart that they won the 2009 NBA Championship.

While the SPURS who supposedly have heart and toughness lost in the 1st round to a pathetic Dallas Maverick team despite having HCA.

lol .... they won this championship cuz of the refs (just watch the end of game 2 finals if you don't believe ... there's no way NBA referees can be that bad ... and even if they were that bad, which is impossible, why would they be bad in a way that only favors the lakers ??? just watch how many times (without ANY physical contact, i'm talking big time spacing between the defender and kobe) they've sent Kobe to the line in the last 5 minutes, and then watch how they fouled out his defender (Pietrus) and watch how they prevented Hedo from scoring ... all that in crucial moments where everybody began realizing the lakers wouldn't be able to finish off the magic in that game ... by the way, that game changed the whole series (imagine if the lakers were goin to orlando for 3 consecutives games without the 2-0 lead ... it would have crushed their patheticaly weak confidence ... if they had any to begin with)

as for the spurs, they played with heart, but they were defeated by a better team.... the spurs were too old and too injured to defeat a young athletic dallas team

the lakers are not true champions and everybody knows it ... you're not gonna be really proud of your teamn until they play for real and win a championship without cheating (the gasol deal was clearly a cheat with undeclared money being transfered between the memphis and lakers ownerz)... but hey, that's just how the world works ...and if you seriously believe that deal was legit then I'm gonna stop talking to you cuz I don't have time to waste

mudyez
07-02-2009, 06:50 PM
Im not one of the Artest haters, but lets conclude it like that:

offense:
he may be better than Ariza in that regard, but Artest taking away shots from Kobe and Gasol is pretty bad for them...even in Houston the opponents best defense play was a shot by Artest a lot of times...so basically Ariza as a roleplayer should be better than Artest as a kind of 3rd, 4th or 5th star.

defense:
I'm not sure, if Ariza is already the better defender of them, but I like how it changes the Spurs chances...Artest bay be pretty good aainst guysl like Paul Pierce, but against Manu and Tony I prefer Artest beeing our opponent rather than Ariza

futhermore:
I'm pretty sure, Kobe and Phill will make sure, Artest doesnt go Charles Manson in LA, but who would you rather have as a locker room guy? Ariza as the quite roleplayer, that is team fist, or Artest, that hasnt proven anything other than beeing David Sterns greatest concern.
What about Odom now? If he stays, I see poblems....not caused by Artest himself, but Odom if he is the 6th man again!

overall: I think it good trade for us Spursfans...Not sure about other teams, as I like Artest on LeBron, Pierce or Carter...Now our job is to make sure, that LA won't play any of these teams in the Playoffs!

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I am more afraid of them with Ariza than Artest. Artest played like crap the last 4 or five games of his series against the lakers. Kobe is still going to be shooting the ball, doesn't change much, it makes them less athletic if it does anything.

Mr. Body
07-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't think this is true. It's coming from Artest texts and he's having fun. But go ahead, dream away.

rayray2k8
07-02-2009, 06:52 PM
On ESPN..said nothing has happened yet, and it's just speculation..

We shall see.
If they do land Artest, than that's great!
Ron will take away looks from Kobe.. :D

TD4THREE
07-02-2009, 06:53 PM
If you didn't notice, Ariza got abused by both Ron Artest and Melo in the playoffs. Really? I must have missed it. Seems I remember something like Artest shooting 38% from the floor for the series.

FkLA
07-02-2009, 06:53 PM
when we got RJ i thought we had a bit of chance to maybe beat LA. but if they get ARTEST...we have no shot.

i can't believe how some spurs fans are trying to brush this off..THIS IS HUGE for the Lakers. i see another 3 peat in LA's future

FUCK!! there goes our window in the duncan era!!

Slow the fuck down, this move isnt bad or anything for LA...but its not like Ariza was a scrub he was a huge part of their team. This pretty much just patches up the Ariza loss and keeps them at the same level that won them the title since Im sure theyll re-sign Odom. If the Spurs get Sheed or Dyess, and Manu comes back strong it will still be a dog fight between LA and SA.

Btw, this has always been and always be Tim Duncans team as long as he's wearing a Spurs jersey.

rayray2k8
07-02-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't think this is true. It's coming from Artest texts and he's having fun. But go ahead, dream away.

yeah, it's weird. This guy just loves to mess with the media.
He said yesterday that he signed with NY.
Then he edited. What an attention whore. :lol

http://twitter.com/96TruwarierQB
http://twitter.com/Real_Ron_Artest

jay014
throw a beer at him.

lefty
Artest is just messing around IMO, because of the Ariza to Rockets rumors

Remember, he is a joker :lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303679

Russ
07-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Let me make one thing perfectly clear, as Nixon used to say . . .

Artest to the Lakers is not good news. :wow

lefty
07-02-2009, 06:55 PM

Fish
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Bynum

Now that it's confirmed that he was messing around, you must feel really retarded :lmao

rayray2k8
07-02-2009, 06:56 PM
I knew it..
This was 3 hours ago..
http://twitter.com/Real_Ron_Artest

Yeah, I'm signing with LA. Not the Lakers, though. The Sparks. The money's not great but they say I can get down w/ Candace Parker.

Unbelievable.. :rolleyes.

Muser
07-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Now that it's confirmed that he was messing around, you must feel really retarded :lmao

Where does it say that?

texasmade006
hes a ball stopper....not going to work in the lakers offense.

lefty
Steelernation = :donkey

bless1187
07-02-2009, 06:58 PM
T. Ariza is a quality SF but R. Artest is still one of the top SF in the league, and the Lakers have definitely improved themselves with this signing.

kbrury
wow Artest is one funny mofo

rayray2k8
It's real.
http://espn.go.com/nba/

Sii
07-02-2009, 06:59 PM
when we got RJ i thought we had a bit of chance to maybe beat LA. but if they get ARTEST...we have no shot.

i can't believe how some spurs fans are trying to brush this off..THIS IS HUGE for the Lakers. i see another 3 peat in LA's future

Jesus Fucking Christ. STFU

lefty
07-02-2009, 06:59 PM
It's real.
Oh noes

Now I feel like a :donkey

:lol

Muser
07-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Lol lefty.

Artest is just messing around IMO, because of the Ariza to Rockets rumors

Remember, he is a joker :lol

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303679
where does it say he's joking around?

lefty
It's real.
So Artest says he is going to L.A, and THAT's official ?

bless1187
07-02-2009, 07:02 PM
i would of much rather have Lakers keep T. Ariza instead of R. Artest. This is a definite upgrade for the Lakers. Lakers are already one of the biggest and talented team to began with. that's a pretty scary lineup, and is going to be pretty hard to score on.

D. Fisher
K. Bryant
R. Artest
P. Gasol
A. Bynum (L. Odom off the bench)

Libri
07-02-2009, 07:02 PM
It's real.

Artest says he's leaving Rockets for LA
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Free-agent forward Ron Artest says he's leaving the Houston Rockets to join the Los Angeles Lakers. In a text message to ESPN.com on Thursday night, Artest wrote: "I am happy to say I am goin' to L.A." ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reports that Artest and the Lakers have reached a verbal agreement on what is believed to be a three-year contract worth an estimated $18 million.

Wednesday is the first day free agents are permitted to sign new deals. Artest's decision was first reported by CBSSports.com. The mercurial swingman was initially courted by the Cleveland Cavaliers. In his text message, Artest said that he met Thursday with Lakers owner Jerry Buss and had spoken to coach Phil Jackson about the move to Los Angeles, where Artest has been spending his offseasons.

Artest's forthcoming arrival strongly suggests that unrestricted free agent Trevor Ariza -- who played such a pivotal run in the Lakers' championship run -- is bound to leave the team. Broussard reported Wednesday that, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations, Ariza was likely to leave the Lakers for a new team because L.A. was reluctant to sign him to a contract starting above the league's $5.6 million mid-level exception, even after Ariza's postseason success.

Ariza has been courted by numerous teams, including Cleveland, and met Thursday in Las Vegas with Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey to possibly swap spots with Artest.

rayray2k8
07-02-2009, 07:03 PM
So Artest says he is going to L.A, and THAT's official ?

No dork, they're all reporting that Artest is joining the lakers.
3 years 18 million.
He has said that he would love to play for the lakers in the past.
He got his wish.
Can't wait for the playoffs. :)

lefty
07-02-2009, 07:03 PM
"Artest SAYS................."

lefty
07-02-2009, 07:04 PM
No dork, they're all reporting that Artest is joining the lakers.
3 years 18 million.
He has said that he would love to play for the lakers in the past.
He got his wish.
Can't wait for the playoffs. :)

They are all reporting that HE SAID.....

Any confirmation from the Lakers themselves ?

rayray2k8
07-02-2009, 07:06 PM
They are all reporting that HE SAID.....

Any confirmation from the Lakers themselves ?

Are you in denial? So what? let him go with L.A, it'll be more fun. XD

ffadicted
07-02-2009, 07:06 PM
lol @ new spurs fans shitting the bed out of desperation

lefty
07-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Are you in denial? So what? let him go with L.A, it'll be more fun. XD
I really hope he messes up the chemistry

artest is slowing down, getting older, a low percentage shooter, and pretty much a non factor for the rockets in the playoffs.

ariza is a younger player that can actually keep up with parker, knows the triangle, understands that he is a role player, and is getting better.

timvp
Artest shoots some of the dumbest shots in the league. I also think his defense is on the decline.

That said, Artest playing team ball makes the Lakers even better. The rest of the league has to hope that this blows up in the Lakers' face.

I'd say it's 50/50 whether a signing of Artest is regretted.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Food for thought:

Kobe(lead player) attempted over 1700 shots in 82 games last season. Pau Gasol(lead player) attempted over 1000 in 81 games. On the other hand...Odom(significant role player) only attempted 700 shots in 78 games last season.

Ron Artest in the past three seasons...1040 in 70 games, 962 in 57 games and 1037 in 69 games.

Good luck LA.

lefty
07-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Artest shoots some of the dumbest shots in the league. I also think his defense is on the decline.

That said, Artest playing team ball makes the Lakers even better. The rest of the league has to hope that this blows up in the Lakers' face.

I'd say it's 50/50 whether a signing of Artest is regretted.

He may feel rejuvenated in L.A

Plus, KFC has handled Dennis Rodman in Chicago.

Wait........ Jordan handled Rodman in Chicago

Allanon
07-02-2009, 07:09 PM
The only real team that wanted Artest that could pay him more than the MLE was Houston.

Houston offered him only a one year deal and it pissed him off.

Outside of that, most teams left are already over cap and the most they can offer is the MLE. So with Ron's good friendship with Kobe and being Odom's childhood friend, LA is the most logical choice for Ron at the MLE. Plus he knows his rap "career" will do much better in LA and that's one of the most important things in his life.

Fish
Kobe
Artest
Pau
Bynum

Odom - off the bench

I can't wait for the season now.

s24kx5ynRVQ

duncan228
07-02-2009, 07:10 PM
LA Times.

Lakers close to deal with Artest (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers3-2009jul03,0,7602019.story)
The move would probably end the pursuit of forward Trevor Ariza.
By Mike Bresnahan

The Lakers are close to reaching an agreement with Houston Rockets forward Ron Artest, The Times has learned.

Artest has been meeting with Lakers executives throughout the day and is expected to agree to terms later this afternoon

Artest will likely want the full mid-level exception from the Lakers, which will work out to five years and about $32 million. (The NBA will soon announce the actual cost of a mid-level contract for next season.)

Artest, who will be 30 in November, enjoys the Los Angeles lifestyle and was a presence in the courtside seats for some of the Lakers' games in the NBA Finals.

He is still a formidable defender and averaged 17.1 points last season, though he would have to take a pay cut from the $7.4 million he made last season because the Lakers don't have as much money at their disposal when it comes to other team's free agents.

The addition of Artest would basically end the Lakers' pursuit of Trevor Ariza, who met today with the Rockets.

Artest was also connected with other championship-caliber teams, including Cleveland and Orlando. He would have had to take mid-level money with both of them as well because the Cavaliers and Magic are over the salary cap.

timvp
07-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Suddenly, re-signing Udoka makes a little bit of sense. Udoka is pretty damn horrible at everything in the NBA ... except guarding Artest. Udoka can guard Artest as well as anyone in the league.

Do you sign him for one matchup?

xtremesteven33
07-02-2009, 07:13 PM

No.

Brazil
07-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Suddenly, re-signing Udoka makes a little bit of sense. Udoka is pretty damn horrible at everything in the NBA ... except guarding Artest. Udoka can guard Artest as well as anyone in the league.

Bruuuuccceeeee

raspsa
07-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Funny if his agents really negotiated a deal with the Clippers..:lol

Libri
07-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Artest has the bulk and muscle to post up and play inside. That is where he can be more effective. Yet he spent last season shooting 3-pointers for the Rockets. If he does go to the Lakers, I doubt they would permit him to go wild shooting fade away 3-pointers.

Muser
07-02-2009, 07:15 PM

I don't think there really is a great defense for Artest, it all depends if he is gonna carry on with his horrible shot selection, if that carries on then he's gonna shoot the Lakers out of the game himself.

But no, I wouldn't sign Udoka for 4 games a year. At the most a Horry type trade in time for the Playoffs but that's stretching it.

mattyc
Disaster waiting to happen, surely. Artest and Bryant on the same team....I just can't fathom how those egos will be kept in check. Losing a nuts and bolts guy like Ariza, and getting a nutcase in Artest is bound to be problematic.

galvatron3000

nah, get the big you need and play good team D with the hopes that some of the young guys will keep him in line well enough. Artests biggest strength against the Spurs is in the post so try to keep him out of the post and if he does get there hopefully Gist or Jefferson will handle their business, I don't think Jefferson will though so he must abuse him on the other side to make Phil take him off the floor.

picnroll
I wonder if Kobe is going to chew out Artest the way he does all the other players on his team. That should be fun to watch.

timvp
07-02-2009, 07:18 PM
If true, this will either be really good news for the Spurs or really bad news. Guess we'll know at this time next year.

Personally, if I'm running the Lakers, I don't mess with what worked and bring back Ariza.

xtremesteven33
07-02-2009, 07:23 PM
If true, this will either be really good news for the Spurs or really bad news. Guess we'll know at this time next year.

Personally, if I'm running the Lakers, I don't mess with what worked and bring back Ariza.

If its not broke dont fix it.....ur right.

Ariza is a great role player and Artest is a wannabe all star player. Lakers FO better know what they are doing...i hope they dont

Allanon
07-02-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't mess with what worked and bring back Ariza.

Everybody would have loved to have Ariza back but he's asking for the $8/million year range. I don't know if he's worth that much, I don't think so.

Meanwhile, Ron is asking for $5.5. It seems that Ron is the better deal.

Chillen
07-02-2009, 07:27 PM
This is just nuts. They are obviously trying to build an all-star team in LA. Only positive is that Ron might take some of Kobe's shots away from him. They get better defensively and if this turns out to be true they are the clear favorites to win the 2010 NBA title. If the Celtics get Sheed the Lakers with that lineup can beat the crap out of them, however if the Spurs sign Sheed I think the Spurs have enough fire power and experience to take them down. Only probelm for the Lakers is that teams in the playoffs will play them crazy to try and unseat them. Should be an interesting NBA season if that happens and the Spurs/Celtics sign Sheed.

symple19
07-02-2009, 07:38 PM
[quote=SteelerNation;3516048]lol. Only uneducated Spurs fans would think this is a good thing. Go to other teams forums and they are saying "why even have the playoffs? Just give the title to L.A. right now." If Artest becomes a Laker, its all over but the crying. Your little Richard Jefferson move is nothing compared to this.

Fish
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Bynum

Hahahahahaha...say goodnight, Spurs fans. Banner 16 is on its way to L.A.....hahahahahaha.[/qu
:wgaf:Artest is a cancer on any team he joins - We'll see who's laughing after Ron-Ron detonates Laker team chemistry, and the Spurs are advancing to the finals

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag:
"Let's get back to playing championship, soul-crushing defense"

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 07:38 PM
It's a good move for LA because of the price, but I'm not worried at all..

Ron Artest is the 2nd most overrated defensive player in the NBA, only behind Kobe..watching either of those guys guard perimeter players is going to be funny as fuck..

Artest is clearly slowing down defensively, and he no longer has the mentality..he mostly gambles for steals these days..his strength defensively was physicality, which has clearly had an effect on him since the handcheck rules were applied in 2004-2005..

I don't see Artest working as a #3 or more option..he has to be in the top 2, that's just his style..it also takes shots away from Bynum, and Bynum doesn't play defense or rebound unless he's getting shots..LA already has their stars, they need role players like Ariza, and Artest can't be a role player..

Brazil
07-02-2009, 07:44 PM

I posted that on NBA forum:

"One additional thought, whatever happens, I respect Lakers move. You need to have some balls to change a winning team including a crazy dude like Artest.

Maybe it's the way to repeat: with Artest LA injects thrill, fear, exitation... a potential good manner to keep the team motivated and under pressure. IMO this one of the reason why teams have difficulties to repeat, they keep the same core and the group fell asleep."

Am I wrong about that ? don't you think this move will give an extra motivation to this LA team ?

mudyez
07-02-2009, 07:47 PM
I agree..."if its not broken..." doesnt really work...you have to bring in hungry guys...but I'm not sure Artest for Ariza is the thing to do...Artest for Odom, with a garantee Artest wants to be the 6th man would have sounded better

we will see...I can understand Lakers fans going crazy about it, but I personaly think, that the Lakers can be happy, if they are not worse with him, than with Ariza

Horse
07-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Fish
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Bynum

That's what we thought when we got dennis rodman

cornbread
07-02-2009, 07:50 PM
It's been a while since Artest has had some kind of mental breakdown/physical assualt/crime/etc. He's due for one. LA is the perfect venue for this to happen.

implacable44
07-02-2009, 07:51 PM
I posted that on NBA forum:

"One additional thought, whatever happens, I respect Lakers move. You need to have some balls to change a winning team including a crazy dude like Artest.

Maybe it's the way to repeat: with Artest LA injects thrill, fear, exitation... a potential good manner to keep the team motivated and under pressure. IMO this one of the reason why teams have difficulties to repeat, they keep the same core and the group fell asleep."

Am I wrong about that ? don't you think this move will give an extra motivation to this LA team ?

the people on here dismissing this signing are delusional - DELUSIONAL. This is huge.. and really bad news for the Spurs. Not only are the Spurs too little, now they are outgunned again and LA will be tougher defensively. And I dont recall who said that Sheed going to Boston wouldn't be effective -but Sheed in Boston might be even bigger than Artest in LA...IMO The Lakers were fortunate last year - first with KG going down and then Yao. a healthy KG and Boston would have repeated.. a healthy KG and Sheed next year and Boston wins -- they beat Cleveland - they beat Detroit - they beat the Lakers and they sure as hell beat the Midget Spurs....Now if the Spurs can get MCdyess...or trade Mason/bonner or even finley/bonner for a decent big - then the Spurs are back in the mix. but this Spurs team as assembled right now doesn't have a prayer.

kbrury
07-02-2009, 07:53 PM
the people on here dismissing this signing are delusional - DELUSIONAL. This is huge.. and really bad news for the Spurs. Not only are the Spurs too little, now they are outgunned again and LA will be tougher defensively. And I dont recall who said that Sheed going to Boston wouldn't be effective -but Sheed in Boston might be even bigger than Artest in LA...IMO The Lakers were fortunate last year - first with KG going down and then Yao. a healthy KG and Boston would have repeated.. a healthy KG and Sheed next year and Boston wins -- they beat Cleveland - they beat Detroit - they beat the Lakers and they sure as hell beat the Midget Spurs....Now if the Spurs can get MCdyess...or trade Mason/bonner or even finley/bonner for a decent big - then the Spurs are back in the mix. but this Spurs team as assembled right now doesn't have a prayer.

lol its day two of FA, if the spurs went with the team they have assembled they wouldn't have enough players to play in an NBA game.

1Parker1
07-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Interesting the Lakers decided to go in this direction. Yes, Ron Artest is cheaper, but he's clearly 30+ and on the decline. Meanwhile, Ariza is in his prime, came off an awesome postseason, and still has an evolving game. It's definitely a gamble for the Lakers that can pay off or not.

Another plus thought that probably ran through the Lakers mind is at least this way Artest doesn't end up on another WC contender.

Sii
07-02-2009, 08:00 PM
\

OmG!!!! wE aRE FUckED!!!!11 what a joke

dbestpro
07-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah, just give LA the title. We all know that you can't beat LA when allstar players start working for them on the cheap. Just ask Karl Malone to show you his ring.

Allanon
07-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Another plus thought that probably ran through the Lakers mind is at least this way Artest doesn't end up on another WC contender.

That's a good point I hadn't thought of. Artest on another WC team would have been Hell part II.

The Rockets took the Lakers to 7 games, toughest in the Playoffs for the Lakers. Most of that was due to Artest/Battier messing up Kobe's game.

SteelerNation
07-02-2009, 08:06 PM
That's what we thought when we got dennis rodman

No. You were basically the Houston Rockets taking a chance just like the Spurs did with Rodman. This is more like the Bulls when they stole Rodman for peanuts and what happened then? 3 peat. And everyone said the same thing people here are. "Dennis will blow up and destroy the Bulls chemistry. Dennis is a ticking timebomb. ect....

Lakers have just got as close as you can to a guarantee for repeating.

21_Blessings
07-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Ron Artest is the 2nd most overrated defensive player in the NBA, only behind Kobe..watching either of those guys guard perimeter players is going to be funny as fuck..

Yeah going to be funny as fuck watching the Lakers hold up that back to back :lobt:

While you're laughing at two of the best perimeter defenders of our generation the entire world be laughing at TP, Manu, RJ backcourt trying to guard anything :lol :lol :lol

picnroll
07-02-2009, 08:07 PM
That's a good point I hadn't thought of. Artest on another WC team would have been Hell part II.

The Rockets took the Lakers to 7 games, toughest in the Playoffs for the Lakers. Most of that was due to Artest/Battier messing up Kobe's game.

Most of that was Battier. Artest was nowhere near as effective. His best days as a defender are fading memories. His best days as a wild assed gunner are on the rise though.

brettn
07-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I don't really see how this makes the Lakers that much better. Artest is clearly the better deal, but he's a slower, older version of Ariza, albeit more physical. One of the Lakers biggest assets in the postseason was the speed and length of Ariza, especially in the closing moments with those clutch steals.

They've pretty much swapped out Ariza's speed for Artest's physicality and gotten a little older in the process. They've also replaced a willing role player with a player who's been at least the 2nd offensive option most of his career. Can Artest adjust? Maybe, maybe not, we'll see. That's the gamble. I personally don't think they've gotten that much better and the potential for him to disrupt the team chemistry is definitely there. Only time will tell though.

implacable44
07-02-2009, 08:23 PM
lol its day two of FA, if the spurs went with the team they have assembled they wouldn't have enough players to play in an NBA game.

they have 10 players retard .. not counting splitter.. and who are they gonna get ..already in luxury tax hell..

admiralfats
07-02-2009, 08:23 PM
he'll almost certainly adjust. He was really pretty calm during the series against the lakers, and really all the way through. He takes bad shots sometimes, but he's a positive force on the basketball court for his team, and he's just made the lakers stronger.

we're going to have to beat them straight up. They're going to be really talented, so are we, and we're going to have to win. obviously we're all here because we think tim tony manu and crew can do that.

it still pisses me off. 6 million a year. screw you, ron. I was starting to like you. just re-sign malone while you're at it and let him chase his ring, too.

kbrury
07-02-2009, 08:24 PM
need 12 to play a game

EricB
07-02-2009, 08:24 PM
implacable

retard

Splitter isn't on the team.

Allanon
07-02-2009, 08:42 PM
I don't really see how this makes the Lakers that much better. Artest is clearly the better deal, but he's a slower, older version of Ariza, albeit more physical.

I think the physicality of Ron Artest is the key to the deal. You're right that Ariza is younger and faster.

But in the Playoffs, Ariza was too skinny in some matchups and couldn't deal with the thick dudes like Melo & Ron Artest. Paul Pierce and LeBron would also be tough covers for Ariza whereas Artest can defend Melo, Pierce and LeBron pretty much on his own.

Slinkyman
07-02-2009, 08:44 PM
No. You were basically the Houston Rockets taking a chance just like the Spurs did with Rodman. This is more like the Bulls when they stole Rodman for peanuts and what happened then? 3 peat. And everyone said the same thing people here are. "Dennis will blow up and destroy the Bulls chemistry. Dennis is a ticking timebomb. ect....

Steeler Nation and you're a laker fan? Are you a fucking Yankee fan too? It must be great jumping from bandwagon to bandwagon.

z0sa
07-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Make no mistake. Artest IS a good player. But the reality is, LA just got worse against the Spurs.

Trevor Ariza's length, speed, and athleticism combined with a low key personality and great work ethic perfectly combined with the other great scorers they have in Kobe, Gasol, and Odom. Phil Jackson never had to worry about Trevor Ariza coming to play or taking shots away from the marquee players.

Enter Ron Artest now. This is a volume shooter and nowadays an overrated defender. Chemistry problems could be imminent.

PJ once had the option of bother TP with Ariza's length, but to try this with Artest would be suicide. IMO a fully recovered Manu can guard Artest on one end and burn him on the other. The only place you could stick him and expect results might be RJ. LA's guarding Spurs 4th option great now, instead of their 1st. TP could average 30 against the scrubs at PG.

Spurs have plenty of question marks, but Artest doesn't change our plans.

SteelerNation
07-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Steeler Nation and you're a laker fan? Are you a fucking Yankee fan too? It must be great jumping from bandwagon to bandwagon.

Not gonna keep going over it and over. If your to stupid to pay attention or didnt hear it the first time. tough shit. You're just pissed because your teams are the Spurs and Cowboys and both cant touch my teams.

Allanon
07-02-2009, 08:53 PM
Until Ariza signs elsewhere, it's still possible the Lakers retain Ariza.

It's a longshot, but this may not be an EITHER/OR situation with Ariza and Artest.

z0sa
07-02-2009, 08:55 PM

It's a longshot, but this may not be an EITHER/OR situation with Ariza and Artest.

what are you saying? that lamar odom is gone?

Brazil
07-02-2009, 08:55 PM

:rolleyes and Odom to the Spurs ! yeeessss thx a lot

Slinkyman
07-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Not gonna keep going over it and over. If your to stupid to pay attention or didnt hear it the first time. tough shit. You're just pissed because your teams are the Spurs and Cowboys and both cant touch my teams.

you have 52 posts, how many times have you gone over it. I've never seen your sorry ass here before and i wish i hadn't. I honestly don't care who your teams are because you're bound to change them in the near future so go fuck yourself.

Sii
07-02-2009, 08:58 PM

Please die in a fire

iggypop123
07-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Make no mistake. Artest IS a good player. But the reality is, LA just got worse against the Spurs.

Trevor Ariza's length, speed, and athleticism combined with a low key personality and great work ethic perfectly combined with the other great scorers they have in Kobe, Gasol, and Odom. Phil Jackson never had to worry about Trevor Ariza coming to play or taking shots away from the marquee players.

Enter Ron Artest now. This is a volume shooter and nowadays an overrated defender. Chemistry problems could be imminent.

PJ once had the option of bother TP with Ariza's length, but to try this with Artest would be suicide. IMO a fully recovered Manu can guard Artest on one end and burn him on the other. The only place you could stick him and expect results might be RJ. LA's guarding Spurs 4th option great now, instead of their 1st. TP could average 30 against the scrubs at PG.

um so you are saying that fisher would guard jefferson. thats stupid . for now artest is better. ariza did a solid job on hedo cause he isnt strong, but against melo he tried his best but was destroyed early and late the lakers zone made him a jumpshooter and he sucked.

SPURSGOAT
07-02-2009, 09:04 PM
I figured this would happen last season after watching that clip of Artest interviewing Kobe; Artest could hardly contain himself... was probably jizzing in his pants...:lol

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 09:05 PM

That season FG% of 40% sure is eye-popping. Plus there's the whole, "I'm batshit crazy" thing too. You're right. I don't see how this could miss!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2009, 09:06 PM

Nice post.

I actually feel sorry for Phil who is going to have migraines dealing with yet another headcase on his roster. Then again, Phil loves a challenge.

Will Artest be able to learn the triangle? I highly doubt it, so that is a problem. And then there's his over-rated defence. I agree with many around here - this actually weakens the Fakers, not strengthens them.

Allanon
07-02-2009, 09:09 PM
:rolleyes and Odom to the Spurs ! yeeessss thx a lot

As you know by now, and "nicely" reminded me, Ariza is going to the Rockets. :lol

At least the Lakers can keep Odom. :tu

brettn
07-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I think the physicality of Ron Artest is the key to the deal. You're right that Ariza is younger and faster.

But in the Playoffs, Ariza was too skinny in some matchups and couldn't deal with the thick dudes like Melo & Ron Artest. Paul Pierce and LeBron would also be tough covers for Ariza whereas Artest can defend Melo, Pierce and LeBron pretty much on his own.

Good take, Artest is a MUCH better matchup for the thicker SF's in the league. The thing about Ariza though is he has the ability to guard the 1-3 positions on any given night. That's a very valuable asset, especially against the quicker PGs in the league.

It's a trade off though and it's all about matchups. As far as the Western conference goes, they have a much better one-on-one matchup with Melo should they play the Nuggets again in the playoffs. If they happen to play the Spurs, the speed and explosiveness of Parker and Ginobili just became a whole lot harder to counter without Ariza. That's why I said I don't think the Lakers got that much better. It's a trade off, speed for physicality. I just think the potential for chemistry problems to develop, especially on the offensive end, outweigh the good things Artest brings to the team. Despite all that, it was a no brainer to pick up Artest at that price tag and you can't blame them for bringing him in.

Allanon
07-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Good take, Artest is a MUCH better matchup for the thicker SF's in the league. The thing about Ariza though is he has the ability to guard the 1-3 positions on any given night. That's a very valuable asset, especially against the quicker PGs in the league.

It's a trade off though and it's all about matchups. As far as the Western conference goes, they have a much better one-on-one matchup with Melo should they play the Nuggets again in the playoffs. If they happen to play the Spurs, the speed and explosiveness of Parker and Ginobili just became a whole lot harder to counter without Ariza. That's why I said I don't think the Lakers got that much better. It's a trade off, speed for physicality. I just think the potential for chemistry problems to develop, especially on the offensive end, outweigh the good things Artest brings to the team. Despite all that, it was a no brainer to pick up Artest at that price tag and you can't blame them for bringing him in.

Agreed Sir. Very fair assessment on Ariza.

No doubt I would have loved it if the Lakers kept Ariza but Artest at Plan B is not a bad choice in my opinion.

z0sa
07-02-2009, 09:14 PM
um so you are saying that fisher would guard jefferson. thats stupid . for now artest is better. ariza did a solid job on hedo cause he isnt strong, but against melo he tried his best but was destroyed early and late the lakers zone made him a jumpshooter and he sucked.

PJ put Ariza on TP in the 4th quarter of the Mason shot game (it was the closest game of the 3 after all), and it actually bothered him a bit when LA made their run to comeback. Now TP went from burning your team for 3 quarters to all 4.

The jury is still out on Manu. If he's lost explosiveness, Artest may be a tougher matchup than in the past. I doubt it though. I've heard reports that Artest balloons up to 260 at times. If Manu can slash and drive anything like old Manu, Artest will have his work cut out for him.

About Denver, I agree you've got someone who can be way more physical with Melo. You don't have to worry about that with Ron Ron, he loves throwing that 260 around.

Spurtacus
07-02-2009, 09:14 PM
we need Bruce Bowen back

duncan228
07-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Artest going to Lakers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-artest&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Chris Duncan

Ron Artest is joining Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers.

David Bauman, Artest’s agent, told The Associated Press that the Houston Rockets forward has verbally agreed to play for the NBA champions next season. Bauman said the final details are still being worked out, but could be finished as early as Thursday night.

ESPN.com reported that Artest had agreed to a three-year deal worth $18 million. Bauman would not confirm those numbers, saying the deal was still being negotiated.

“We’re not quite there yet,” Bauman said. “We’re still working on it.”

The 6-foot-7 forward earned $7.4 million in his only season with Houston, averaging 17.1 points, 5.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists. The 2004 Defensive Player of the Year was also a rugged 1-on-1 defender, often assigned to guard the opponent’s most dynamic scorer.

Bauman said Artest was looking for a championship-caliber team when he became an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday and the Lakers were one of his top choices.

“He wants to win a ring,” Bauman said. “He’s a winner and a hard worker and he went looking for a team with whom he could find some justification for what he does. He plays his best when he’s in that kind of an environment.”

Artest could not immediately be reached for comment.

He told CBSSports.com that he met with Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss and coach Phil Jackson. In a text message to ESPN.com on Thursday night, Artest wrote: “I am happy to say I am goin’ to L.A.”

Earlier Thursday, Bauman said Artest was being courted by several teams that made the playoffs last season and received text messages from unspecified “superstars” who were trying to lure him to their cities. Bauman would not say if Bryant was one of those players, but acknowledged on Thursday night that their friendship was a factor in Artest’s decision.

“The whole situation was extremely appealing to Ron,” Bauman said.

The two had a feisty individual battle in the second round of the playoffs, as the undermanned Rockets pushed Bryant and the Lakers to seven games. Artest and Bryant often mouthed off at one another and Artest was ejected from one game for confronting a referee and claiming that Bryant elbowed him in the neck.

Artest’s decision is another tough blow to the Rockets, who acquired Artest in a trade with Sacramento last summer. The Rockets envisioned Artest as the final piece to a “Big Three” with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, but those two All-Stars are now dealing with long-term injuries.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey did not immediately return a phone message on Thursday night.

He already seemed resigned to losing Artest, flying to Las Vegas earlier in the day to meet with Lakers forward Trevor Ariza. The 6-8 Ariza averaged 8.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists for the Lakers last season and would fit into Artest’s role in Houston’s starting lineup.

Houston already knows it will be missing McGrady for the bulk of next season as he recovers from microfracture surgery on his left knee.

The Rockets are also awaiting a definitive prognosis on Yao, who sustained a hairline fracture in his left foot in the playoffs. Morey made an aggressive pitch to free agent center Marcin Gortat shortly after the free agency period began on Wednesday.

franceout
Artest asked much more than MLE and lakers are over cap, so I guess it may be a sign&trade deal, Artest for Ariza, as I heard Morey met with Ariza too. Ariza may ask an amount around MLE but Rockets want to use mle on Gortat. So a s&t makes sense for rocckets as well. I dont know how much this helps the rockets though.

lefty
Artest going to Lakers (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-lakers-artest&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Chris Duncan

Ron Artest is joining Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers.

David Bauman, Artest’s agent, told The Associated Press that the Houston Rockets forward has verbally agreed to play for the NBA champions next season. Bauman said the final details are still being worked out, but could be finished as early as Thursday night.

ESPN.com reported that Artest had agreed to a three-year deal worth $18 million. Bauman would not confirm those numbers, saying the deal was still being negotiated.

“We’re not quite there yet,” Bauman said. “We’re still working on it.”

The 6-foot-7 forward earned $7.4 million in his only season with Houston, averaging 17.1 points, 5.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists. The 2004 Defensive Player of the Year was also a rugged 1-on-1 defender, often assigned to guard the opponent’s most dynamic scorer.

Bauman said Artest was looking for a championship-caliber team when he became an unrestricted free agent on Wednesday and the Lakers were one of his top choices.

“He wants to win a ring,” Bauman said. “He’s a winner and a hard worker and he went looking for a team with whom he could find some justification for what he does. He plays his best when he’s in that kind of an environment.”

Artest could not immediately be reached for comment.

He told CBSSports.com that he met with Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss and coach Phil Jackson. In a text message to ESPN.com on Thursday night, Artest wrote: “I am happy to say I am goin’ to L.A.”

Earlier Thursday, Bauman said Artest was being courted by several teams that made the playoffs last season and received text messages from unspecified “superstars” who were trying to lure him to their cities. Bauman would not say if Bryant was one of those players, but acknowledged on Thursday night that their friendship was a factor in Artest’s decision.

“The whole situation was extremely appealing to Ron,” Bauman said.

The two had a feisty individual battle in the second round of the playoffs, as the undermanned Rockets pushed Bryant and the Lakers to seven games. Artest and Bryant often mouthed off at one another and Artest was ejected from one game for confronting a referee and claiming that Bryant elbowed him in the neck.

Artest’s decision is another tough blow to the Rockets, who acquired Artest in a trade with Sacramento last summer. The Rockets envisioned Artest as the final piece to a “Big Three” with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady, but those two All-Stars are now dealing with long-term injuries.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey did not immediately return a phone message on Thursday night.

He already seemed resigned to losing Artest, flying to Las Vegas earlier in the day to meet with Lakers forward Trevor Ariza. The 6-8 Ariza averaged 8.9 points, 4.3 rebounds and 1.8 assists for the Lakers last season and would fit into Artest’s role in Houston’s starting lineup.

Houston already knows it will be missing McGrady for the bulk of next season as he recovers from microfracture surgery on his left knee.

The Rockets are also awaiting a definitive prognosis on Yao, who sustained a hairline fracture in his left foot in the playoffs. Morey made an aggressive pitch to free agent center Marcin Gortat shortly after the free agency period began on Wednesday.

Chris Duncan?

Are you related? :D

Sdayi135
07-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Artest asked much more than MLE and lakers are over cap, so I guess it may be a sign&trade deal, Artest for Ariza, as I heard Morey met with Ariza too. Ariza may ask an amount around MLE but Rockets want to use mle on Gortat. So a s&t makes sense for rocckets as well. I dont know how much this helps the rockets though.

Gortat already committed to Dallas

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Wait, so which Laker is gonna guard Tony Parker now?

Tully365
07-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Artest is 29 and will turn 30 in November. To put this in perspective, he's younger than Bowen was in 2003. If they resign Odom, the Lakers will be the most talent loaded team the NBA has had in a long time. This doesn't make them unbeatable, but it does make them damn good.

Artest has probably given up at least 30 million in his career thanks to his reputation.

DrHouse
For the same money I'd rather have Ariza, but he and his agent played hard ball and would not accept the MLE. The Lakers were not going to make the same mistake of overpaying for a guy who did well in his contract year. Ariza is not worth more than the MLE, he's just not. Plus there is no guarantee that Ariza continues upon the season he had, he could have just as easily reverted like so many other players have after their contract years.

What everyone is criticizing Ron Artest for is hilarious. He's not going to be the #1, #2, or even #3 option on the Lakers. They are bringing him in strictly for his defense, and he IS a better defender than Trevor Ariza. So what if he can't guard speedy PG's, Phil rarely put Ariza on the opposing team's PG anyways. Provided Phil can keep Ron in check for a season this was a great move by the Lakers.

And Spur fan shouldn't even care. They can't compete with the Lakers until they upgrade their front court.

lefty
The Machine....cough cough

DrHouse
07-02-2009, 09:24 PM

What Laker has ever been able to guard Parker and WHEN HAS THAT STOPPED THE LAKERS FROM BEATING THE SPURS?

Fuck you people are stupid.

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 09:25 PM
What Laker has ever been able to guard Parker and WHEN HAS THAT STOPPED THE LAKERS FROM BEATING THE SPURS?

Fuck you people are stupid.

Um in case you missed it Trevor Ariza did a great job containing Parker. I guess you were too busy making "DOOMZZZZ" threads before games were over.

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2009, 09:28 PM

Fish
Kobe
Artest
Gasol
Bynum

Wrong as usual, steeler nation. Your Fakers just got worse. Your team was finally getting some good chemistry in the NBA Finals. Now you lose an outstanding up and comer in Ariza and in his place get a cancer who no longer plays defense...Kobe ate his lunch each night. And Fisher is getting as old as 969 year old Methuselah who can't keep up with a guy like Tony Parker.

Teams like the Spurs, Cavs, Magic, and Celtics get better and the Fakers go backwards. Too bad, kid. I guess you could say it was fun while it lasted...ROTFFLMFAO! :lol:lol:lol:rollin:lol:lol:lol

z0sa
07-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Um in case you missed it Trevor Ariza did a great job containing Parker. I guess you were too busy making "DOOMZZZZ" threads before games were over.

true. TP will be the difference in a victory over the Lakers or not. They are too weak in at the PG to defend Parker, yet Ariza gave them an option to stop the bleeding. Not anymore.

LA got better against many teams, not the Spurs. That's If Artest stays volatile instead of crazy.

qiuyizeng
07-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Outstanding. The Lakers just got worse by adding him. We need to vbookie how long it will be before Laker fan turns on him.
yup,artest is overrated!

barbacoataco
07-02-2009, 09:29 PM
I see both sides of the coin with Artest. On the one hand his defense is good, some call it overrated. I thought he was pretty effective this year in the playoffs and I saw most of the Rockets playoff games. With Battier and Artest playing together, teams were having a hard time scoring. When you have 2 perimeter defenders in that class they just don't give up a lot of open looks. That is how the Lakers will be with Artest and Kobe on defense.
On the other hand, Artest is a low percentage shooter who oftens dribbles away the shot clock and then shoots a contested fade-away jumper. He also is visibly slowing and next year will be one year older. Losing Ariza and gaining Artest makes the Lakers better defensively and slighty worse on offense IMHO.

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Laker 2nd unit

Morrison
Walton
Vujacic

Holy shit!

Exactly right!!!

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by TonysTeam http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3516089#post3516089)

LMAO overreact much?

Tony'sTeam is another La La Land Faker fan who says he is a Spurs fan as a cover.

Tully365
07-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Here's what I would call a good homer test:

Whose defense has slipped more in the last year-- Ron Artest or Rasheed Wallace?

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 09:39 PM
If the lakers lose Odom that would make this off season that much sweeter. They basically will be trading Odom and Ariza for Artest. One can hope right?

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2009, 09:39 PM

Old house using WiFi from LA County Jail. Can't stay off the juice, eh!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Here's what I would call a good homer test:

Whose defense has slipped more in the last year-- Ron Artest or Rasheed Wallace?

Nice call. Sheed definitely. I hope we land McDyess.

bishopospurs
07-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Lakers were champs, but to sneak by the Rockets with out T Mac and Yao in 7 games, not exactly dominating. I would be worried if I were a Lakers fan.

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Artest will likely not be a huge black hole if he comes to LA. If he does that he simply won't play. It's not like Houston where they had nobody else to handle the ball in the clutch.

In LA Ron will have a very well defined role as a 3rd/4th option at best. If he cannot accept that then he will not play, period. Given Phil's history with coaching unruly players I would be surprised if Artest acts out and plays himself off the team.

The bottom line is that Artest is a bigger, stronger, and better defender than Ariza is. If you didn't notice, Ariza got abused by both Ron Artest and Melo in the playoffs. He can't handle bulky SF's like Pierce or Lebron the way Artest can. He's also a better shooter than Ariza, a better passer, and more capable of creating for himself.

There is obviously going to be some risk, but the Lakers are not a stupid franchise. They don't have 15 rings for nothing.

Artest would go along with being the 3rd or 4th option for about a week before he explodes. Ain't no way in Hell that Artest can guard LeBron or Pierce. House, stay off the drugs. You're gonna end up like Michael Jackson.

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2009, 09:44 PM

Go back to bed, you closet Faker fan. And get yourself some glasses.

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Funny if his agents really negotiated a deal with the Clippers..:lol

:lol:rollin:lol Damn, that made me laugh! Good one!

21_Blessings
07-02-2009, 09:54 PM

Kobe probably textd him one phrase and sealed the deal: "three-peat"

21_Blessings
07-02-2009, 09:54 PM
:lmao RJ making 14 million next year compared to Artest's 6

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2009, 09:57 PM

Yeah going to be funny as fuck watching the Lakers hold up that back to back :lobt:

Explain to us one more time just how well that La La Land Faker team that picked up Malone and Payton, worked out? ROTFFLMFAO@UFakerFans!!! Yeah, good f*ing luck with your dream of a repeat.

Russ
07-02-2009, 09:57 PM
The Spurs' best hope is that while one or the other might be okay . . .

Odom + Artest = :smchode::smchode:

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 10:01 PM
:lmao RJ making 14 million next year compared to Artest's 6

Artest's 27% 3PFG in the playoffs last year :rollin

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2009, 10:02 PM

Uhhhh, yeah right. BTW, I have some wonderful swamp land in the Mojave Desert and a nice bridge, some people know as The Brooklyn Bridge I will let you hav for cheap. And for 10% more, I'll throw in The Trump Towers so you'll have a place to stay when visiting your swamp out in the middle of the desert.

barbacoataco
07-02-2009, 10:02 PM
One good thing about this is that Artest being on the Lakers could make a potential spurs/Lakers playoff series come down to Ginobili vs. Artest. And the Spurs win that dog fight because Ginobili is a better player and has always found a way to score on Artest.

21_Blessings
07-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Explain to us one more time just how well that La La Land Faker team that picked up Malone and Payton, worked out? ROTFFLMFAO@UFakerFans!!! Yeah, good f*ing luck with your dream of a repeat.

Payton was done and Malone got hurt. It isn't rocket science.

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 10:04 PM
One good thing about this is that Artest being on the Lakers could make a potential spurs/Lakers playoff series come down to Ginobili vs. Artest. And the Spurs win that dog fight because Ginobili is a better player and has always found a way to score on Artest.

That's because Artest's defense is overrated. So with his overrated defense, his terrible shot selection, and his shit-for-brains, I see this as a good pickup... as long as you're not a Lakers fan.

tempest186
07-02-2009, 10:10 PM
I believe that Artest and Odom are good friends. IMO this makes if even more likely (if not certain) that Odom stays in LA.

This is an interesting move to be sure. If it pans out then the Lakers will be tough. All of this is moot until we see the chemistry on the court for all of these new acquisitions.

RJ making 14 million next year compared to Artest's 6

How much does Sasha make? Oh yeah $5,000,000 next year and Adam Morrison $5,257,228.

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Payton was done and Malone got hurt. It isn't rocket science.

Yeah, then why the hell did the Fakers sign them? Do you people in La La Land understand Logic? Common Sense? How to think things out? All any Faker fan could talk about was how you had the Second coming of the Olympic Dream Team and would roll over everyone in the playoffs by 44 points per game. Seems the Detroit Pistons had other plans! Seems it also took the Spurs the following season to show you Fakers how to beat teams from the East.

BTW if you now sign Odom there will be trouble in Never Never Land for the Fakers, as gigantic ego's will clash like it was WW III. Anyway, good f*ing luck trying to repeat. :lol

angelbelow
07-02-2009, 10:13 PM
too early to tell. this is one of those hit or miss moves imo. we'll just have to wait and see. i wouldnt be surprised either way.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 10:14 PM
How much does Sasha make? Oh yeah $5,000,000 next year and Adam Morrison $5,257,228.
:lmao:lmao:lmao
:lmao:lmao:lmao

GSH
07-02-2009, 10:14 PM
lol. Only uneducated Spurs fans would think this is a good thing. Go to other teams forums and they are saying "why even have the playoffs? Just give the title to L.A. right now."

That's exactly the same thing the Laker trolls said when Karl Malone and Gary Payton signed. How did that work out for you?

There's no guarantees in the league, either. Two weeks into the season, Gasol tears an MCL and Kobe finds out that white girl in Colorado is HIV positive, and the Lakers won't even make the playoffs. Not that I would wish that on such nice guys. Just saying.

The Truth #6
07-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Artest was horrible against the Lakers in the PO. As short-handed as they already were, they did better when he wasn't on the floor. He has no sense of pace or movement on offense. He just kept clanging jumpers. It was embarrassing. Contrast that with Ariza who was actually effective on defense and hit huge, timely shots consistently.

This is a step backwards. When has Artest really made a team better? He's going to kill any flow in the triangle.

He's a tough matchup one on one, but if the Lakers want to run the offense through Artest against us, INSTEAD of through Kobe, then I think I can live with those odds every single time.

He amuses me, but he's a wingnut. As someone else wrote, he and Odom together is bad chemistry and the combination of those two will drive PJ to drink.

21_Blessings
07-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Artest was horrible against the Lakers in the PO. As short-handed as they already were, they did better when he wasn't on the floor. He has no sense of pace or movement on offense. He just kept clanging jumpers. It was embarrassing. Contrast that with Ariza who was actually effective on defense and hit huge, timely shots consistently.

Actually Artest played well against the Lakers when Yao was there. He was basically the reason they won game 1. When Yao got hurt, Artest was forced to be a ballhandling number 1 option which is not his game at all. He doesn't have to worry about that in LA.

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Actually Artest played well against the Lakers when Yao was there. He was basically the reason they won game 1. When Yao got hurt, Artest was forced to be a ballhandling number 1 option which is not his game at all. He doesn't have to worry about that in LA.

Oh did LA find that PG they need?

Before you get your panties in a bunch, yes I know Artest won't be the #1 ballhandler. I'm joking because LA has shitty PGs.

InRareForm
07-02-2009, 10:23 PM
Scoring on Lakers shouldn't be too hard with Parker running around everyone now.

benefactor
07-02-2009, 10:26 PM
He amuses me, but he's a wingnut. As someone else wrote, he and Odom together is bad chemistry and the combination of those two will drive PJ to drink.
Yeah...I forgot how dumb Odom can be from time to time. It's amazing how similar he and Artest are in all the good and bad ways.

My prediction is this....the Lakers will be inconsistent as ever. Some nights they will be an unstoppable force and other nights they will succumb to the collective IQ of Artest and Odom. The big question is can they be just consistent enough to make it through a playoff run. I have my doubts.

ulosturedge
07-02-2009, 10:28 PM
They broke even at best (Lakers). I think Artest's defense is overrated. Ariza is up and coming and Artest is the opposite. So at best the defense is an even trade. And then we look at the offense and i'm sorry Ron takes the stupidest shots in the world.

The first sign of adversity i'm interested to see how Artest holds up along side Kobe. A couple of big egos out there. Could be a meltdown waiting to happen.

JGrice02
07-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Artest is 29 and will turn 30 in November. To put this in perspective, he's younger than Bowen was in 2003. If they resign Odom, the Lakers will be the most talent loaded team the NBA has had in a long time. This doesn't make them unbeatable, but it does make them damn good.

Artest has probably given up at least 30 million in his career thanks to his reputation.

The foursome of Pierce, Allen, Garnet, and Rondo was more taleted than the Lakers foursome. And if the Celtics add Wallace then they are still the most talented team. If the Spurs add Wallace they become the most talented team which would be the first time since 1994-95.

Allanon
07-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Uhhhh, yeah right. BTW, I have some wonderful swamp land in the Mojave Desert and a nice bridge, some people know as The Brooklyn Bridge I will let you hav for cheap. And for 10% more, I'll throw in The Trump Towers so you'll have a place to stay when visiting your swamp out in the middle of the desert.

Have a look at their shooting percentages vs Ron Artest this past year. All were well below their averages.

LeBron - 40% shooting
Melo - 40% shooting
Paul Pierce - 41% shooting

Ron's an elite defender against over-sized Small Forwards and Shooting Guards.

It's no secret, just ask some Cav fans who gives LeBron the most problems...Ron Artest.

Brazil
07-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Have a look at their shooting percentages vs Ron Artest this past year. All were well below their averages.

LeBron - 40% shooting
Melo - 40% shooting

It's no secret, just ask some Cav fans who gives LeBron the most problems...Ron Artest.

:nope Brrruuuuuuuccccccceeeeeeeee

sook
07-02-2009, 10:38 PM

LeBron - 40% shooting
Melo - 40% shooting

Yea, those players don't move fast. He can't guard 2s like Kobe or Roy thotugh, they are too fast for him

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2009, 10:44 PM

LeBron - 40% shooting
Melo - 40% shooting

Like I said, "I have some wonderful swamp land in the Mojave Desert and a nice bridge, some people know as The Brooklyn Bridge I will let you have for cheap. And for 10% more, I'll throw in The Trump Towers so you'll have a place to stay when visiting your swamp out in the middle of the desert".

We'll see in a few months. Of all the moves so far in Free Agency, this one is the one I like best because it weakens the Lakers in many ways. Kobe, Odom & Artest...a revisit of the Atomic Bomb and the result ain't good. Your team finally showed some team chemistry vs. Denver and Orlando. That appears to be a thing of the past. And with an aging and slow Fisher I definitely do not see any repeat.

At the present time you have Orlando, Boston & Cleveland in the East and the Lakers, Spurs and Nuggets in the West. Everyone else is just fodder for the strong. It should be a pretty interesting May & June in 2010.

SonOfAGun
07-02-2009, 10:45 PM
are you guys crazy?

This makes LA even better. Artest shows up against the Spurs.

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 10:46 PM
are you guys crazy?

This makes LA even better. Artest shows up against the Spurs.

Who is he guarding? He's too slow to stay in front of Jefferson and a healthy Manu. Put him on Blair!!! :lol

Blackjack
07-02-2009, 10:47 PM
I don't like the acquisition for the Lakers but I'm not going to condemn it, either.

After seeing both Antoine Walker and Jason Williams get rings, I'll never say never again.:wtf

I will say this, though.

Artest is not Rodman, nor should Phil's ability to coach Rodman be equivocated to him coaching Artest.

Rodman was a highly intelligent ball player who knew his limitations on the court, and what attributes of his game were needed in order to win.

Artest is a specimen with an abundance of tools and ability, but lacks the know-how to utilize them for the best of the team, because of a belief that he's better than what he is. He doesn't know his limitations or how to sacrifice certain aspects of his game to focus on less glorified attributes that would actually contribute more to his team's overall success..

I'm not sure if Ariza could've been had for something just over the MLE but if he could've, I'm not sure why you fix something that's not broke.

As of right now, and as a Spurs fan, I don't mind this move at all.

But I reserve the right to change my mind...:smokin

21_Blessings
Yea, those players don't move fast. He can't guard 2s like Kobe or Roy thotugh, they are too fast for him

Artest can also guard guys like Dirk though. He won't have to defend quick 2's, that's what Kobe is for.

Lebron, Pierce, Melo are all guys the Lakers could see late in the playoffs.

iggypop123
funny to see how spurs fans are saying this is a disaster after criticizing laker fans for saying jefferson was not very good. cant have it both ways. both are amazing signings. but we are the champs so we get even better

coyotes_geek
07-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Meh. I don't know if this makes the lakers better or not, but I do know that the Ron Artest experiment has yet to work anywhere.

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 10:49 PM
funny to see how spurs fans are saying this is a disaster after criticizing laker fans for saying jefferson was not very good. cant have it both ways. both are amazing signings. but we are the champs so we get even better

Not when you lose the only player that was effective at guarding Tony Parker. Again, who would Artest guard on the Spurs? You think he's quick enough to guard Jefferson or Manu? I don't see it.

Udokafan05
Artest will force up dumb 3's, and has lost a step just like Bowen did. He wont play into the system. Ariza was the perfect fit for lakers.

barbacoataco
At the present time you have Orlando, Boston & Cleveland in the East and the Lakers, Spurs and Nuggets in the West. Everyone else is just fodder for the strong. It should be a pretty interesting May & June in 2010.[/QUOTE]

Most people put the Blazers in that group too. All of their talent will be a year older net year and they will probably be even more loaded. They are the only team in the WC that has the heighth to match up with the Lakers. the Blazers are tall across the roster.

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Its funny how Spurs fans think Artest will hurt our repeat chances. Were not done yet. You guys went out there and made some deals, well we can make some deals too, only we get discounts...lol!!!

Discount from guys who tried to work at Best Buy to get their discounts. You just got a certified nutjob. Good luck with him.

ohmwrecker
07-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I could care less about this Artest deal. He can only make the Lakers slightly better defensively. They are losing scoring punch with Ariza leaving and they could still lose Odom, who is a more versatile player than Artest. I really can't see why a defending champ would make a move like this. They really must be sweating the Spurs.

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 10:54 PM
I hope he loses it on RJ's faggot ass. You guys are scared with that midget lineup, I know you are.:lmao

Scared of Ron hitting me with one of his airballs if I sit behind the basket, yeah. 27% :lmao

Tully365
07-02-2009, 10:55 PM

LeBron - 40% shooting
Melo - 40% shooting

LeBron doesn't move fast?

howardcopy
07-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Its funny how Spurs fans think Artest will hurt our repeat chances. Were not done yet. You guys went out there and made some deals, well we can make some deals too, only we get discounts...lol!!!

Artest is the Dennis Rodman of our error. People said that when the Rod-man went to Chi-Town he destroy the team chemistry and look what Phil did there.

The Lakers seem to be countering the Spurs move, which suck, but it looks, if they can sign him to work. We get Jefferson, they sign Artest to stop him.

I think the Spurs still have some tricks up their sleeves. If Sheed doesn't work ok, I'm sure R.C. will move quickly to plan B

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Artest is the Dennis Rodman of our error. People said that when the Rod-man went to Chi-Town he destroy the team chemistry and look what Phil did there.

The Lakers seem to be countering the Spurs move, which suck, but it looks, if they can sign him to work. We get Jefferson, they sign Artest to stop him.

I think the Spurs still have some tricks up their sleeves. If Sheed doesn't work ok, I'm sure R.C. will move quickly to plan B

Ariza would've been much better able to stop Jefferson.

ohmwrecker
07-02-2009, 11:03 PM
"The Dennis Rodman of our error"?

Although, I do think Rodman as a Spur was indeed an error, I think you meant to say "era".

Brazil
07-02-2009, 11:06 PM
I think the Spurs have done an amazing job so far with Blair and RJ, but no big man to help TD, and it was all for nothing. Im leaning towards Sheed signing with the Spurs. If he does, then the Lakers and Spurs are neck and neck.

I agree

ohmwrecker
07-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Ariza choosing to go to Houston is like getting dumped by Paris Hilton. Nice fuck, celebrity status, a little skinny, but she will be missed.

But, later that night you get a call from Kim Kardashian for some straight raw, rough sex. This is how we feel about getting Artest. And we didnt even have to take the bitch out for an expensive meal. GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

Enjoy your herpes!

NewJerSpur
07-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Move doesn't concern me as much as a re-signing of Ariza. I feel like both players fit better within their respective roles with the teams they played for this year.

rascal
07-02-2009, 11:15 PM
well I think it makes the Lakers better. Artest is an upgrade from Ariza imo and Artest always seems to give the Spurs trouble because of his size.

Of course its an upgrade for the Lakers.

rascal
07-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Ariza would've been much better able to stop Jefferson.

I disagree. Artest will get more physcal which is the best way to counter Jefferson.

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 11:25 PM
I disagree. Artest will get more physcal which is the best way to counter Jefferson.

if Jefferson is the main ball handler then yeah. But chances are he'll be cutting off screens. Artest won't be able to keep up.

wildbill2u
07-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Artest is a net plus for them IMHO. He's calmed down for the last couple of years.

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2009, 11:35 PM
Ariza choosing to go to Houston is like getting dumped by Paris Hilton. Nice fuck, celebrity status, a little skinny, but she will be missed.

But, later that night you get a call from Kim Kardashian for some straight raw, rough sex. This is how we feel about getting Artest. And we didnt even have to take the bitch out for an expensive meal. GOTTA LOVE IT!!!

Kim Kardashian??? ROTFFLMFAO

Dude, her ass is so big it makes Shaq & Glen 'Big Baby' Davis' asses look like they are both anorexic. That is one goofy looking whore. You people in Plastic Land sure have funny taste in women. Come to Texas where we have REAL women...NO plastic required...!

DrHouse
07-02-2009, 11:40 PM
The Spurs need to show that they are on the Laker's level and not the other way around. Let us not forget that they could not even make it past the pathetic Dallas Mavericks in the 1st round with HCA, they have a long way to go.

Lakers = 2009 NBA Champions
Spurs = 1st round losers

timvp
07-02-2009, 11:42 PM
The Spurs need to show that they are on the Laker's level and not the other way around. Let us not forget that they could not even make it past the pathetic Dallas Mavericks in the 1st round with HCA, they have a long way to go.

Spurs = 1st round losers

How long are Laker fans going to live in the past? 2009 is over.

Let it go.

:hat

z0sa
07-02-2009, 11:43 PM
spurs were injured.

cornbread
07-02-2009, 11:43 PM

Spurs = 1st round losers

The obsession continues...

NewJerSpur
07-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Wouldn't quite be a Spurs' offseason thread without Dr. House checking in to try and temper our growing confidence.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2009, 11:48 PM
too early to tell. this is one of those hit or miss moves imo. we'll just have to wait and see. i wouldnt be surprised either way.

Best post in the entire thread. This one could break either way, and there's no way to tell until we see how Phil manages his new gorilla.

DrHouse
Wouldn't quite be a Spurs' offseason thread without Dr. House checking in to try and temper our growing confidence.

What confidence could you possibly have?

No front court. No championship. Spurs still need another HUGE piece to compete and Rasheed Wallace is not that piece. It's like nobody watched that guy play last season, he's a shell of himself. No posting up, no defense, just chucking 3's all day long.

DrHouse
How long are Laker fans going to live in the past? 2009 is over.

Let it go.

:hat

Kobe can't win without Shaq

Laker fan what have you done since '02

HarlemHeat37
07-02-2009, 11:49 PM
I actually don't even think Artest is going to be a problem at all in regards to his attitude or ego..I just don't think his game can fit well on a legit title contender..

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Who are you quoting exactly?

SouthTexasRancher
07-02-2009, 11:52 PM

Spurs = 1st round losers

house, you live in a very small, drug induced world. Open the damn windows, turn on a fan to clear the air and come to the realization that Jimi Hendrix and Michael Jackson are both dead. As far as you being certified as brain-dead, you will come to your senses next June when you watch the Spurs take the title back.

nadroj117
07-02-2009, 11:53 PM
RicBucher: Last on Artest/Lakers: team source denied it all the way. Don't know why but it twists my gut. Goes to show: none of us are foolproof.

this was just on his twitter page

Shastafarian
07-02-2009, 11:54 PM
RicBucher: Last on Artest/Lakers: team source denied it all the way. Don't know why but it twists my gut. Goes to show: none of us are foolproof.

this was just on his twitter page

Wait...what?

holcs50
07-02-2009, 11:54 PM
I have to say i made a mistake by saying drhouse is less homerish than lakaluva...lakaluva is still a homer but at least has the ability to look at things objectively... House is just a tard.

As for artest, i'd say upgrade overall. You give up a little height, age, and quickness but you get experience, a nasty defender, strength, hard player. Spurs definitely need a LEGIT big that can guard a pau or bynum or lakes are still a bit ahead imo. With a legit big still behind because la is the champs so until unseated they will always be first but it will be mighty close-given everyone healthy

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2009, 11:55 PM
What confidence could you possibly have?

No front court. No championship. Spurs still need another HUGE piece to compete and Rasheed Wallace is not that piece. It's like nobody watched that guy play last season, he's a shell of himself. No posting up, no defense, just chucking 3's all day long.

Sheed is just the smokescreen for Antonio McDyess, who would be perfect here.

PS Most people miss it, but you play the House persona very well. You should take out the swearing though as House is cutting enough that he doesn't need to swear.

21_Blessings
07-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Discount from guys who tried to work at Best Buy to get their discounts. You just got a certified nutjob. Good luck with him.

Certified nutjob that plays good defense and wants to win more than anything.

He'll conform to Phil's culture just like Rodman did.

Dynasty time, boys.

nadroj117
07-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Wait...what?

Here is his page, just posted it 8 mins ago

http://twitter.com/RicBucher

WayOutWest
07-03-2009, 12:00 AM
People are really going to be surprised by Artest's defense when the season begins..he just isn't that good defensively anymore..the funniest part of all this is that Kobe or Artest now has to defend the other team's best perimeter player..arguably the 2 most overrated defenders in the NBA have to actually go out and shut somebody down..Kobe hasn't been able to play great defense since the 3-peat days, and he's noticeably slowed down physically since then..Artest hasn't been great defensively since the handcheck rules..

Lakers upgraded in overall talent, upgraded offensively, downgraded defensively, and downgraded with chemistry..

I guess you missed the Lakers/Denver series where Kobe D'd up Melo AND Billups in the same game. When one guy started getting hot Kobe would switch over to him and cool him down. Kobe's still got it, no worries on that front. With Artest on the roster Kobe won't be forced to guard guys that are too physical for Ariza.

I agree that this trade could go either way, it could make the Lakers dominant or it could blow up in their face.

Capt Bringdown
07-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Ladies and gentleman, your 2009-2010 repeat champions, The Los Angeles Lakers.

No one can deny that Artest is extremely talented. And we all know what Phil Jackson does with talented players: he turns them into champions.

Artest is certainly way more talented and much less wacko than Dennis Rodman.

You've got to be crazy to think this is a negative for the Lakers.

NewJerSpur
07-03-2009, 12:01 AM

Dynasty time, boys.

Rodman was more of a complementary player and the Bulls locker room had stronger leadership than the Lakers'. It will be interesting to see how he co-exists with Kobe during crunchtime on the offensive side of the ball with him occasionally going on jacking sprees. Might work out but I think Ariza may have fit the Lakers better despite not possessing the same scoring ability.

coyotes_geek
07-03-2009, 12:02 AM

Dynasty time, boys.

Slight difference in trying to integrate a guy who understood his job was to rebound the ball and stay out of MJ's way and one who wants to handle the ball as much as Artest does. I don't know if this deal is going to work out for you guys or not, but Artest is definitely going to give Phil some headaches.

Shastafarian
07-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Here is his page, just posted it 8 mins ago

http://twitter.com/RicBucher

Yeah I know. I'm just shocked at what it implies. Am I reading it right? Is Bucher saying the Lakers are denying this deal?

sabar
07-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Who cares if Artest is cheap or not whacko anymore. He's going to go 3 for 11 over and over again when it matters with his blackhole offense. That's all that's important. Great signing for the spurs.

DrHouse
07-03-2009, 12:05 AM

No one can deny that Artest is extremely talented. And we all know what Phil Jackson does with talented players: he turns them into champions.

This.

I think most Spur fans are just refusing to accept the reality in front of them. They desperately want to feel that their team has a shot at winning #5 but the reality is they just don't matchup talent wise with the big dogs just yet.

WayOutWest
07-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Yeah I know. I'm just shocked at what it implies. Am I reading it right? Is Bucher saying the Lakers are denying this deal?

It's a fake twitter page plus every sports network has reported it as legit. Not to mention Ron Artest has been on EPSN and Local TV talking about how happy he is to be going to LA. It's a done deal.

The Truth #6
07-03-2009, 12:08 AM

You're suggesting you want Artest to get rough with you sexually.

Shastafarian
07-03-2009, 12:09 AM
It's a fake twitter page plus every sports network has reported it as legit. Not to mention Ron Artest has been on EPSN and Local TV talking about how happy he is to be going to LA. It's a done deal.

It's not a fake twitter page. And I've been searching. The only people who are confirming this are on Crazy Ron's side of things.

NewJerSpur
07-03-2009, 12:09 AM
This.

I think most Spur fans are just refusing to accept the reality in front of them. They desperately want to feel that their team has a shot at winning #5 but the reality is they just don't matchup talent wise with the big dogs just yet.

You're the only Laker fan who doesn't believe the Spurs have improved enough so far in the offseason to make a serious push.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2009, 12:10 AM

Um, no way on this. Artest is as much or more of a head case than Rodman. You've forgotten what he was up to a few years ago.

This.

Now you're just baiting people... although I guess that's what you've been doing all along. "...big dogs..." :lol

SouthTexasRancher
07-03-2009, 12:10 AM

LOL :rollin We'll make sure you are there for the trophy presentation. Why don't you be honest with yourself, even if you are not with all the posters here and change your team to who it really is...the La La Land Fakers. You fool no one.

Capt Bringdown
07-03-2009, 12:12 AM
Ariza wanted 8-9 million, and Artest will settle for 6. Now they can sign Odom.
Great move by the Lakers.

I think Artest is hungry for redemption and rings. One can't deny there is a potential downside with him, but if it works, look out.

One things for sure, if anyone can fit Artest into a championship culture, it's PJ and Kobe.
Scary stuff for the rest of the league.

SouthTexasRancher
07-03-2009, 12:12 AM
You're the only Laker fan who doesn't believe the Spurs have improved enough so far in the offseason to make a serious push.

NewJerSpur, this house character is looney tunes. He is some wacko that is out to lunch. Nobody takes him seriously...but, we do have fun making fun of him.

HarlemHeat37
07-03-2009, 12:14 AM
I already gave my arguments..I also agree that it could go either way, although I'm leaning towards bad..Lakers are the favorites either way, they obviously deserve respect as the reigning NBA Champions, so I'll give them that..

I'm done in this thread though..

I feel dirty for writing multiple posts in a thread involving Lakers fans..disgusting people that actually work and spend money to buy the merchandise of a rapist that throws teammates under the bus, and buy tickets to see him..they also go out and destroy their city after their team wins a title, surely following in the footsteps of a criminal like Mr.Kobe..it's the equivalent of being a Nazi soldier, following Hitler as he killed innocent people..

NewJerSpur
07-03-2009, 12:14 AM
NewJerSpur, this house character is looney tunes. He is some wacko that is out to lunch. Nobody takes him seriously...but, we do have fun making fun of him.

House seems to get more dilusional with every post. :lol

Medvedenko
07-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Great move by the Lakers. Personally, I would have loved to get Ariza back and sign a player like Grant Hill for the bench at the Vet minimum. However, getting Artest is a great fall back and let's us sign a guy like Odom who's a great friend to Ron Ron.
Also, I do believe it's Bynum's year anyways.

iggypop123
07-03-2009, 12:17 AM

by rule teams are not allowed to announce deals until the signing period starts. just doing their jobs.