PDA

View Full Version : Better for the Lakers?

carrao45
07-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Ariza or Ron?

lefty
07-02-2009, 07:10 PM
We have like 100000 threads about them

USE them, seriously

carrao45
07-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I never saw one about this, just about Ron coming to LA

Culburn369
07-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Artest.

He's ringless. Look how it motivated Odum & Ariza & Gasol. Gasol is a self motivator. Odum will go back to his dream state, but, perhaps with Artest, Kobe will have enough to get there.

Allanon
07-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Obviously Artest.

Ariza always plays his heart out but Artest has always been the more talented player. Ariza is one of the Top NBA wing defenders; Artest is probably the #1 or #2 wing defender.

The Lakers would have had to pay $8 million to keep Ariza, now they get Ron Artest for the MLE.

Ron Artest guarding LeBron? I like it.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-02-2009, 07:19 PM
^If Cleveland shifts Lebron to power forward, LA won't be seeing them in the finals.

carrao45
07-02-2009, 07:22 PM
^If Cleveland shifts Lebron to power forward, LA won't be seeing them in the finals.

I agree, at PF, LeBron's biggest advantage is his size and athleticism, which is negated against PF's

Spursfan092120
07-02-2009, 07:23 PM
I guess I'm in the minority..I think Ariza would be better for their style...oh well..

mystargtr34
07-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Ron is not close to being the #1 or #2 perimeter defender in the league anymore. He use to be the best, along with Bowen - but hes lost about 2 steps since his Indiana days. Did you see the difference between Artest and Battier guarding Kobe during the playoffs this past season? Kobe went by him and scored on him like he was Roger Mason.

Battier on the other hand was the only guy that limited Kobe one bit throughout the entire playoffs.

On the signing as a whole - Artest obviously has had the better career, but i think alot of people are getting caught up in what he has done, rather than what he is actually capable of. He's not a good 3 point threat, something thats important in the Lakers system, and he is a volume shooter - im not sure if hes a guy that can be effective spotting up and taking 6-8 shots a game.

I would rather have Ariza, but Artest definately isnt the worst they could have done.

JamStone
07-02-2009, 07:30 PM
I think it's a great pick-up on paper if it goes down. Artest brings a little more offensively with his ability to post and dribble drive, and Artest is a capable shooter. I don't think he's lost as much defensively as some might think. I would still put him on a short list of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Likely not the best or second best, but still very high on the list.

From strictly a basketball point of view, it looks like a great replacement for Ariza. We'll just have to wait to see how he gels with his teammates and interacts with Phil Jackson and whether he brings his crazy with him or not. But on paper, really good and very fortunate move in the wake of likely losing Ariza.

Allanon
07-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Ron is not close to being the #1 or #2 perimeter defender in the league anymore.

I think he's still at the top and he's still in his prime.

He was in consideration for DPOY this year too.

Dwight Howard Orlando 105 4 5 542
LeBron James Cleveland 4 36 20 148
Dwyane Wade Miami 3 20 15 90
Shane Battier Houston 2 17 10 71
Ron Artest Houston 1 13 10 54
Chris Paul New Orleans 1 9 17 49
Kobe Bryant LA Lakers 2 6 15 43
Kevin Garnett Boston 1 6 8 31
Chris Andersen Denver - 2 4 10

sook
07-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Artest is A LOT better.

Notice how he drove by ariza everytime, the only thing he doesn't do better than ariza or doesn't have is athleticism.

IronMexican
07-02-2009, 07:51 PM
I like it. I've traded for Ron(for LO) on all my 2K franchises since 2k6

21_Blessings
07-02-2009, 07:53 PM
I've traded for Ron(for LO) on all my 2K franchises since 2k6

Me too :toast

Gonna miss Trev. I always developed him into a defensive 3 point shooting monster after signing him to a 6 year deal in 2k10.

Bob Lanier
07-02-2009, 07:54 PM
The Marcus Camby trophy?

Allanon
07-02-2009, 07:55 PM
The Marcus Camby trophy?

The top #1 is fairly subjective, but Marcus Camby was a great defender at the time. Maybe not #1 but pretty damn close.

mystargtr34
07-02-2009, 08:11 PM
I always though Ariza was a slightly over rated defender for what its worth, but watching Artest play has shown me he has lost at least a step. I dont consider him a lock down defender anymore, just a good one.

If there is a problem, it will come on offense. Should be interesting to see if he can fit in as the 4th or 5th option.

nhan
07-02-2009, 08:20 PM
I think he's still at the top and he's still in his prime.

Dwight Howard Orlando 105 4 5 542
LeBron James Cleveland 4 36 20 148
Dwyane Wade Miami 3 20 15 90
Shane Battier Houston 2 17 10 71
Ron Artest Houston 1 13 10 54
Chris Paul New Orleans 1 9 17 49
Kobe Bryant LA Lakers 2 6 15 43
Kevin Garnett Boston 1 6 8 31
Chris Andersen Denver - 2 4 10

Whoever votes for the DPOY is retarded. LeBron and Wade should be nowhere near at the top of the list. Please tell me how Kobe got 2 first-place votes. Garnett got 1 first-place votes when he was out for a good chunk of the year. These voters suck.

Artest is nowhere near the defender he used to be. Kobe just tortured him in the playoffs. Battier did a great job on Kobe, whereas Artest let Kobe do whatever he wanted. Artest never hustled back when Kobe beat him off the dribble. He just watched him go by.

Also, Artest misses wide open threes all the time. Ariza, however, makes them. Artest is the better offensive creator, but the Lakers don't need that with Kobe and Gasol. Ariza is the better spot-up shooter. Defending-wise, Artest is better against bigger small fowards, but I would say Ariza is the better defender against smaller small fowards.

YellowFever
07-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I think it's a great pick-up on paper if it goes down. Artest brings a little more offensively with his ability to post and dribble drive, and Artest is a capable shooter. I don't think he's lost as much defensively as some might think. I would still put him on a short list of the best perimeter defenders in the league. Likely not the best or second best, but still very high on the list.

From strictly a basketball point of view, it looks like a great replacement for Ariza. We'll just have to wait to see how he gels with his teammates and interacts with Phil Jackson and whether he brings his crazy with him or not. But on paper, really good and very fortunate move in the wake of likely losing Ariza.

^This.

Bottom line is at 6 million per for 3 years, if it doesn't work out, it could probably be absorbed with minimal damage.

If it works out..the rewards could be awesome.

But I'm not believeing this crap until he signs the dotted line.

j.dizzle
07-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Ariza cant guard big players like Melo & Lebron, & Pierce..Artest can..End of Story

ffadicted
07-02-2009, 08:44 PM
I think they should just start Luke Walton

iggypop123
07-02-2009, 08:53 PM
artest is better than ariza right now, but ariza is younger and his ceiling is higher especially how he went from a sub to a starter shooting 50% 3's. he practied using kobe's regiment he called it "his bible" but artest is better now. strong, of of the only guys to actually get close to lebron strength. the only people i have seen with a shot at guarding lebron has been kobe, and the combo of battier artest. they shut him down. i love the move hate the hometown kid leaving

Hemotivo
07-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Ariza