PDA

View Full Version : Ric Bucher on Twitter about Spurs FA targets

El Jefe
07-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Ric Bucher's response to a question about why the Spurs aren't pushing harder for Sheed.

"Have heard McDyess and Frye. There's a chance Tiago Splitter could be coming over, which would solve a *lot* of problems."

So has Ric heard something we haven't? Or is this just idle speculation of someone in the media?

http://twitter.com/RicBucher

TimDunkem
07-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Ric just speculates. It'd be nice if it were true.

lefty
Lol

JiggaWhat99
interesting.......but i think there is a little to no shot for Splitter to come over.

But what if he's heard of something we haven't.....

SenorSpur
How the hell does Buc know that?

lefty
07-02-2009, 11:00 PM
He doesn't know anything

Spursmania
07-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Well, I wonder who's chirping? Seems to good to be true about Splitter.

kbrury
07-02-2009, 11:01 PM
He draws names and teams at random and then ESPN hypes whatever he says.

lefty
07-02-2009, 11:03 PM
He draws names and teams at random and then ESPN hypes whatever he says.

"Paris Hilton may be sleeping with the Chicago Bears

Wait, she has actually done that"

montgod
07-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Ric Bucher's response to a question about why the Spurs aren't pushing harder for Sheed.

"Have heard McDyess and Frye. There's a chance Tiago Splitter could be coming over, which would solve a *lot* of problems."

So has Ric heard something we haven't? Or is this just idle speculation of someone in the media?

Even though it probably is all BS, McDyess and Frye would be two good additions. It would definitely be a plus to get them both!

SenorSpur
07-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Looks like Bucher is talking out of his ass again.

timvp
07-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Please not Frye. That's who I'm worried the Spurs would target. He's a softer, even more mentally weak version of Bonner.

lefty
07-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Looks like Bucher is talking out of his ass again.
"RicBucher @11:45 pm, twittering out of my ass "

SenorSpur
07-02-2009, 11:06 PM
"RicBucher @11:45 pm, twittering out of my ass "

:lol

Libri
07-02-2009, 11:07 PM
If Splitter was coming over, we would have known about it.

objective
07-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Frye = complete disaster

ohmwrecker
07-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Please not Frye. That's who I'm worried the Spurs would target. He's a softer, even more mentally weak version of Bonner.

. . . and he can't shoot the three.

RuffnReadyOzStyle

Totally, he's the anti-Kleiza. Kleiza would be an upgrade on Bonner, Frye a downgrade.

We need a range-shooting bigman, but I'm happy to go with Bonner, even happier with Kleiza, and :pctoss if it's Frye.

Shastafarian
He responded to my question about Splitter, "A convo w/ the Spurs. Not saying it's a big chance. Just a chance. It's up to Splitter, not the Spurs."

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2009, 11:11 PM

It must be true, he read it here on Spurstalk ;)

Of course, someone should tell him about the rookie posters and their avatar nickname colors...

NewJerSpur
07-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Frye....no please.

Blackjack
07-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Frye to the Spurs, would indeed be confirmation that he's Elliott's illegitimate lovechild..

lefty
07-02-2009, 11:16 PM
Frye to the Spurs, would indeed be confirmation that he's Elliott's illegitimate lovechild..
:lol

crc21209
07-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Ric Bucher further proving that he doesnt know jack shit. :lol

Solid D
07-02-2009, 11:19 PM
McDyess, FTW.

crc21209
07-02-2009, 11:20 PM
1. Sheed
2. McDyess

and so on....as long as they dont go after Bass AND Frye.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Splitter would be a dream come true, but I'm still set on Dice.

With Blair already in the lineup, Bass becomes irrelevent, and I would have thought the same of Bonner and Frye.

baseline bum
07-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Frye's still living off his rookie season. Amazing how hyped you can become because you played for New York. Frye's worth maybe the LLE at best.

loveforthegame
07-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Bucher probably didn't even talk to someone with the Spurs. He just watched one of Bufords press conferences where he talked about one or two of the prospects overseas possibly coming over.

holcs50
07-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Oh god, saw Frye play almost his whole time at UA while I was there and he was a prett legit college player, BUT holy shit the spurs are doomed if that's who we pull in. He is super-duper soft, wouldn't be able to guard bigs efficiently and just NO. Plus he relies on a jumper instead of on the block. I knew the spurs wouldn't present a big showcase like the celtics did, and I think with KGs pushing and all the positives they can offer that the celts will get the sheed over the spurs. Not really spurs style to have a big hoopla and bring in tony/gino/td to greet sheed. Think celts just showed they wanted him more so I'd be extremely surprised if he signs with spurs. We need to focus on dice, forget all these other douche bags for real.

coyotes_geek
07-02-2009, 11:30 PM
I'd be pissed if Frye was all the Spurs did, but Frye for a chunk of the LLE wouldn't be a bad gamble IMO.

timvp
07-02-2009, 11:31 PM
I've heard Buford say a couple of times that Splitter isn't coming this summer. Who knows if he's telling the truth, though.

I'm pretty mixed on Splitter. I know Spurs Nation loves him but he looked pretty damn bad at times this year. He took a step back and very well could be worse than Rasho for the time being.

That said, you obviously have to take him if he's willing to come over for his rookie deal.

rjv
07-02-2009, 11:33 PM
even if the spurs bought splitter out they can not offer him the midlevel until next year so i seriously doubt he agrees to come over.

SenorSpur
07-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Frye is the polar opposite of what RC described as the Spurs need for an "ass-kicking 4". In fact, he's more like an "ass-kicked 4".

angelbelow
07-02-2009, 11:40 PM
yea please no frye....

Libri
07-02-2009, 11:48 PM

The conversation could have been like this:

Bucher: "Say RC! Is there any chance of Splitter coming over?"
RC: "There is a .0000001 chance but unlikely."
Bucher: "Thanks RC!"

Runs to the computer and types on Twitter, "There's a chance Tiago Splitter could be coming over."

holcs50
07-02-2009, 11:58 PM
I've heard Buford say a couple of times that Splitter isn't coming this summer. Who knows if he's telling the truth, though.

I'm pretty mixed on Splitter. I know Spurs Nation loves him but he looked pretty damn bad at times this year. He took a step back and very well could be worse than Rasho for the time being.

That said, you obviously have to take him if he's willing to come over for his rookie deal.

I would be extremely dissapointed if tiago was our answer. Need someone with NBA experience who has proven he can get board, guard good bigs, and bang a little. Splitter could be a complete failure, and that would mean no ring next year...he is not the answer right now

Ditty
07-02-2009, 11:59 PM
1. Sheed
2. McDyess

and so on....as long as they dont go after Bass AND Frye.

yes grab those 2

trade finley and bonner for a defensive 3

sign gist,mclinton,hairston,blair

and call it a offseason

HarlemHeat37
07-03-2009, 12:02 AM
LOL @ everybody taking anybody on ESPN seriously..any of us can speculate the same shit..

objective
07-03-2009, 12:08 AM
I would be extremely dissapointed if tiago was our answer. Need someone with NBA experience who has proven he can get board, guard good bigs, and bang a little. Splitter could be a complete failure, and that would mean no ring next year...he is not the answer right now

I wouldn't be disappointed. Splitter has proven he can play, both in international play against the US and against other competition in Spain.

It was the prioritization of NBA experience among candidates that factored into the Spurs signing Elson.

barbacoataco
07-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Now that I'm getting my head wrapped around the idea that Blair is a PF who could play 15-20 mpg this year, the C/PF situation for the Spurs isn't really as thin as I thought. If Duncan, Bonner, Mahinmi and Blair make it onto the 12 man roster, there really is only room for one more big. The Spurs usually carry 5 C/PF on their active roster. Since Blair and Mahinmi are obviously something of a risk, the Spurs need a veteran who is proven and a known quantity.

I really think they should sign Rasho if for some reason they lose out on the elite players.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2009, 12:14 AM
yes grab those 2

trade finley and bonner for a defensive 3

sign gist,mclinton,hairston,blair

and call it a offseason

Someone hasn't been paying attention. :lol

Ditty
07-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Someone hasn't been paying attention. :lol

what happened :wow

jdaveah
07-03-2009, 12:21 AM
I don't understand the group vitriol over Channing Frye. I've followed his career extremely closely because we both went to U of Arizona at the same time and he would come party at our house sometimes. If the Spurs bring him in, it is most likely NOT to come in and start. I'd agree that if he is the lone answer then its a problem. However, he is absolutely an improvement over Bonner as the first big off the bench. They're essentially the same player but Frye can bring some passing out of that spot that Bonner simply doesn't present.

If Frye is brought in alongside another one of the FA bigs that people are discussing then that is not a bad thing at all.

Buddy Holly
07-03-2009, 12:24 AM
The conversation could have been like this:

Bucher: "Say RC! Is there any chance of Splitter coming over?"
RC: "There is a .0000001 chance but unlikely."
Bucher: "Thanks RC!"

Runs to the computer and types on Twitter, "There's a chance Tiago Splitter could be coming over."

More like:

Bucher: Hey RC, it's Ric... Ric Bucher... Ric Bucher of ESPN. Yeah, just wondering, what are the chances that Tiago comes over this summer and plays for the Spurs.

RC: I'd say one in a million.

Bucher: So you're saying there's a chance?

RC: Not really. What's that I hear?

Bucher: Just logging onto Twitter.

CLICK!

Bucher: RC?

timvp
07-03-2009, 12:25 AM
I wouldn't be disappointed. Splitter has proven he can play, both in international play against the US and against other competition in Spain.

It was the prioritization of NBA experience among candidates that factored into the Spurs signing Elson.

You can only take that logic so far. Anyone who watched Elson play in the NBA knew he was pretty damn bad (other than the Spurs, apparently). But just because a player hasn't played in the NBA doesn't mean they won't go Elson. Elson actually put up better rebounding numbers in Europe than Splitter and Elson put up huge number when playing for Holland.

If Elson would have been drafted by the Spurs and he had been kept overseas, Spurs fans would probably be counting him as being the second coming just like Splitter, Sanikidze, Javtokas, etc.

NewJerSpur
07-03-2009, 12:25 AM
I'd go after Verajao before Frye....he will at least take a charge and play better on-ball defense even if he'd be a bit more pricey.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2009, 12:26 AM
what happened :wow

"Grab those 2"? When was that ever an option?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2009, 12:29 AM
You can only take that logic so far. Anyone who watched Elson play in the NBA knew he was pretty damn bad (other than the Spurs, apparently). But just because a player hasn't played in the NBA doesn't mean they won't go Elson. Elson actually put up better rebounding numbers in Europe than Splitter and Elson put up huge number when playing for Holland.

If Elson would have been drafted by the Spurs and he had been kept overseas, Spurs fans would probably be counting him as being the second coming just like Splitter, Sanikidze, Javtokas, etc.

Are you suggesting that of all the recent Euros we've stashed, we gave up on the only one who could really make an impact in the NBA (ie. Scola)? Oh nos! :lol

itzsoweezee
07-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Frye would be horrible

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 12:36 AM
While yes, Splitter would stand to enjoy a larger sum of guaranteed money if he joined the Spurs next summer instead of this one, and be paid more by Tau in the interim, he'd also put off the the time he would stand to be able to sign a long term guaranteed NBA contract by a season. That's not worthless. In addition, the Spurs could agree to not keep him on the rookie deal for the full four years or what not. If they agreed to allow him to become an unrestricted free agent after year 3, that could make it worth Splitter's while to join this summer. After 3 years the Spurs would hold his full Bird Rights. That would also be the summer of 2012 when Duncan will have presumably retired from professional basketball and the Spurs would have the cap flexibility to pay him handsomely.

While RC has poured some cold water on the idea of Splitter joining the team this offseason, he's also left the door open a little. As the Spurs aren't putting on a full court press for Wallace and have targeted a backup 5 in Gortat in free agency, the possibility remains for Splitter.

Obviously this is not an easy decision for Splitter. But if the Spurs are calling now with the starting 5 spot wide open, I do not think it's as easy as it looks for Splitter to turn it down. The Spurs seem keen on leaving that door open for Splitter. It's prudent, of course, to see if free agency will yield a more immediate impact at the center position. But if that is not available, perhaps Splitter will be tempted to join now.

Duncan2177
07-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Frye? WTF are RC and Pop thinking? Sheed? Vajereo? McDyess? Those are the three guys they need to target, Fucken Frye are you kidding me? DAMN :pctoss

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-03-2009, 12:41 AM
The one guy not being talked about very much is Dice. Got a weird feeling he ends up in SA...

coyotes_geek
07-03-2009, 12:42 AM
It certainly looks like teams prefer Sheed to Dyess, and Dyess is going to have to wait his turn.

scottspurs
07-03-2009, 12:43 AM
Frye? WTF are RC and Pop thinking? Sheed? Vajereo? McDyess? Those are the three guys they need to target, Fucken Frye are you kidding me? DAMN :pctoss

Your letting something Bucher said piss you off. Let it play out. Patience.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 12:44 AM

Frye. Gortat. Bass. The Spurs seem to be entertaining a bunch of backup bigs in free agency.

:stirpot:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Here's how it will play out:

Sheed to Boston
McDyess to SA
Varejao stays in Cleveland
Orlando steals Bass (but overpays for him)
Gortat to Dallas

...then, and only then, will the world take a chill pill and calm the fuck down. :lol

barbacoataco
07-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Frye isn't really even a 4 or 5. He just happens to be tall, but he's always around the perimeter and has NO low post defensive chops.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2009, 12:49 AM
We will nab McDyess for something like 13.5/3yrs in a typically under the radar Spurs FO move.

Boston will overpay full MLE for Sheed and regret it as he plays lacksidasically off the bench and injuries to their Zimmer-frame guys close their trophy window.

Orlando will get good production from Bass, but realise that they made a major mistake in jettisoning Turk for Carter who will stagnate the Orlando offence and make guys like Lewis and Nelson unhappy.

Cuban will wake up on July 9 with a huge hangover and ask himself the question: "WTF just happened? How did I do it AGAIN? Yet another overpaid centre? Another great white hope who will put up 6/6 for $6mil/yr... this shit is worse than Dampier! I'm just a truly shitful GM!" He will then sell the team to oil barons from Russia.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2009, 12:51 AM
BTW, if I get this right, especially the Cuban selling it to Russian oil barons thing, I want some major props! :lmao

objective
07-03-2009, 12:51 AM

1. There wasn't any logic put forward that any NBA player = Elson. I was putting forward that NBA experience with a bad player doesn't trump inexperience with a player who could be good in the NBA. Mikki Moore is garbage, just because he's experienced doesn't mean he'd be better in 20 minutes than trusting that 20 to Blair, or Mahinmi. There's a dozen guys you could replace Moore's name with, and Frye's coming to mind, though maybe not as bad.

I wouldn't say anyone who watched Elson play knew he sucked, because this board had lots of people that were optomistic right off the top of my head. Except me, because I reviewed what little I had of him and could only say that he was quicker than Rasho. And his stats of blocks with Denver weren't good. And I didn't have good things to say about Jackie Butler after reviewing the game I had of him either.

2. What is this nonsense about 'second coming'? Don't insult me with that bullshit please. I'm on record as being in favor of getting Javtokas and Sanikidze, and never have I EVER insinuated they'd be stars or second comings or messiahs or anything like that. I've said they could play in the NBA, be rotation guys, and fill roles. And unlike so many fans here who have opinions on guys pro or con (not talking about you), I've actually watched games of those guys. I watched shit feeds of Rytas vs. Zalgiris. I watched BBL and SEB games with their nauseating airhorns and windows in the background where you can see cars driving by. I've based my assertions on games, not highlights or Spurs-cultdom.

I've also repeatedly knocked the Spurs for taking Sanikidze over Ariza, when they were both 6-8 small forwards who were within about 6 months of age with each other (I think one was 18, the other just turned 19). And I don't think anyone else on here has been anything other than reserved and hopeful for Sanikidze, and the only other person who was pro-Javtokas was Mr. Body that I can remember.

So speaking for myself, no, I wouldn't be talking up Elson if he was a stashed Euro.

Buddy Holly
07-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Does anyone think we could get Wallace with the MLE and McDycess with the LLE?

timvp
07-03-2009, 12:53 AM
While yes, Splitter would stand to enjoy a larger sum of guaranteed money if he joined the Spurs next summer instead of this one, and be paid more by Tau in the interim, he'd also put off the the time he would stand to be able to sign a long term guaranteed NBA contract by a season. That's not worthless. In addition, the Spurs could agree to not keep him on the rookie deal for the full four years or what not. If they agreed to allow him to become an unrestricted free agent after year 3, that could make it worth Splitter's while to join this summer. After 3 years the Spurs would hold his full Bird Rights. That would also be the summer of 2012 when Duncan will have presumably retired from professional basketball and the Spurs would have the cap flexibility to pay him handsomely.

While RC has poured some cold water on the idea of Splitter joining the team this offseason, he's also left the door open a little. As the Spurs aren't putting on a full court press for Wallace and have targeted a backup 5 in Gortat in free agency, the possibility remains for Splitter.

Obviously this is not an easy decision for Splitter. But if the Spurs are calling now with the starting 5 spot wide open, I do not think it's as easy as it looks for Splitter to turn it down. The Spurs seem keen on leaving that door open for Splitter. It's prudent, of course, to see if free agency will yield a more immediate impact at the center position. But if that is not available, perhaps Splitter will be tempted to join now.Yeah, Splitter is never going to see less competition for minutes than right now. Perhaps he sees the wide open door and decides to try to claim his spot in the NBA. He could wait a year but the next generation of bigs will have a head start and there's no guarantee that the Spurs will actively try to bring him in.

If Splitter wants to make sure he has an NBA career, coming this year makes the most sense. Otherwise, there's a definite chance he never comes to the NBA.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah, Splitter is never going to see less competition for minutes than right now. Perhaps he sees the wide open door and decides to try to claim his spot in the NBA. He could wait a year but the next generation of bigs will have a head start and there's no guarantee that the Spurs will actively try to bring him in.

If Splitter wants to make sure he has an NBA career, coming this year makes the most sense. Otherwise, there's a definite chance he never comes to the NBA.

Gortat, Davis, and Bass. The Spurs seem to be targeting bench bigmen in free agency. While, yes, prudence would seem to demand it, one wonders if there is not an ace up RC's wrinkled sleeve...

Libri
07-03-2009, 01:01 AM

Obviously this is not an easy decision for Splitter. But if the Spurs are calling now with the starting 5 spot wide open, I do not think it's as easy as it looks for Splitter to turn it down. The Spurs seem keen on leaving that door open for Splitter. It's prudent, of course, to see if free agency will yield a more immediate impact at the center position. But if that is not available, perhaps Splitter will be tempted to join now.

Aren't rookie contracts for two seasons? If so, the team option would be the third year and Splitter could be a free agent after the second season. Am I reading this right or not?

El Jefe
07-03-2009, 01:01 AM
At this point I'm almost scared Splitter comes over. I'd really like to see a proven NBA vet in that slot rather than roll the dice on a rotation forming out of Bonner/Blair/Mahinmi/Splitter.

But proven NBA vet means proven NBA vet, which Frye is not. If it comes down to that, I'd rather roll the dice and hope we get lucky.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 01:04 AM
Perhaps Splitter is a fallback if they can't land Wallace or McDyess. The Spurs strike out so they want Splitter. Splitter comes because the 5 spot is his to lose.

Of course, perhaps the Spurs already have a trade lined up for a decent starting 5, like Foster, but will only pull it if they miss out on Wallace and McDyess. If they trade, then signing a backup bigman with the MLE makes sense.

Buddy Holly
07-03-2009, 01:07 AM

Kindergarten Cop
07-03-2009, 01:10 AM
No. I think that it'll take the full MLE to convince either one of them to come here.

coyotes_geek
07-03-2009, 01:12 AM
No. I think that it'll take the full MLE to convince either one of them to come here.

Agreed. No way Dyess takes LLE.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 01:13 AM
Perhaps Splitter is a fallback if they can't land Wallace or McDyess. The Spurs strike out so they want Splitter. Splitter comes because the 5 spot is his to lose.

Of course, perhaps the Spurs already have a trade lined up for a decent starting 5, like Foster, but will only pull it if they miss out on Wallace and McDyess. If they trade, then signing a backup bigman with the MLE makes sense.

...so they target backup bigs at the same time as they are pursuing Wallace and McDyess. If they strike out on the top two then they sign Splitter to a rookie deal, the backup big to some deal using the MLE, and then look for an opportunistic trade using Bonner, Finley, and next year's 1st round pick.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2009, 01:15 AM

Nope.

Dice just gave away millions to go back to Detroit, no way he does that with the last contract of his career.

Buddy Holly
07-03-2009, 01:17 AM
Not even for a ring?

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 01:17 AM
If I'm going all in to win a NBA championship next summer then of course I'd want Wallace or McDyess starting alongside TD. But if they aren't available, then perhaps I consider bringing over the guy I have rights to in Spain, the guy who plays for the same team as another, um, player who made the jump from that team to the NBA successfully.

I know that after last season and the trade I made before free agency started that my bigman rotation is depleted and is in need of not just a new starter, but bench players as well. So while I'm talking to Wallace and McDyess about starting next to TD and offering the MLE, I'm also talking to prospective bench players who I could sign using the MLE and offering the starting spot to a certain bigman who plays professionally in Spain.

The_Game
07-03-2009, 01:19 AM
Not even for a ring?

if he wanted to do that you really think he would sign in S.A?

Mr. Body
07-03-2009, 01:20 AM

Sheed to Boston
McDyess to SA
Gortat to Dallas

I agree.

timvp
1. There wasn't any logic put forward that any NBA player = Elson. I was putting forward that NBA experience with a bad player doesn't trump inexperience with a player who could be good in the NBA. Mikki Moore is garbage, just because he's experienced doesn't mean he'd be better in 20 minutes than trusting that 20 to Blair, or Mahinmi. There's a dozen guys you could replace Moore's name with, and Frye's coming to mind, though maybe not as bad.My point was just that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. There are those Spurs fans (not talking about you, specifically) that will always go with the unknown product over the known player. For example, if you asked Spurs fans if they'd rather have Splitter or Pau Gasol, there'd be that contingent that goes with Splitter.

I agree with you that a bad player with NBA experience shouldn't automatically be given an advantage simply due to having NBA experience.

I wouldn't say anyone who watched Elson play knew he sucked, because this board had lots of people that were optomistic right off the top of my head. Except me, because I reviewed what little I had of him and could only say that he was quicker than Rasho. And his stats of blocks with Denver weren't good.I remember most people being upset about signing him. I know I wasn't the world's biggest Elson fan :smokin

2. What is this nonsense about 'second coming'? Don't insult me with that bullshit please. I'm on record as being in favor of getting Javtokas and Sanikidze, and never have I EVER insinuated they'd be stars or second comings or messiahs or anything like that.I was talking about Spurs fans in general, not you. I think we've both agreed that we'd like to see Sanikidze given a legitimate chance and at least give him a season to show what he can do in Austin. IIRC, our stances are relatively similar on Javtokas as well.

I was just cautioning against the sentiment that ends up overrating the unknown.

I've said they could play in the NBA, be rotation guys, and fill roles. And unlike so many fans here who have opinions on guys pro or con (not talking about you), I've actually watched games of those guys. I watched shit feeds of Rytas vs. Zalgiris. I watched BBL and SEB games with their nauseating airhorns and windows in the background where you can see cars driving by. I've based my assertions on games, not highlights or Spurs-cultdom. Yeah, I know you are one of the few people who have actually taken the time to watch the prospects :tu

And yeah, some of that camera work combined with the awkward presentation can make the whole experience nauseating :lol

So speaking for myself, no, I wouldn't be talking up Elson if he was a stashed Euro.Yeah, I'm sure if you watched him, you probably could tell he wasn't very good. But you have to admit there'd be those who would see his 28 point and 15 rebound average while on Holland and his high rebounding rate in Euroleague and think Elson could become the next Dwight Howard simply because he'd be unknown.

It's a tough balance to figure out how much NBA experience is really worth. Unfortunately, the Spurs haven't been too good at figuring out that balance as of late. It's like they went from overrating foreign talent to underrating foreign talent midstream.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
How thin would we be looking now if we hadn't snagged Blair? I still find that one difficult to fathom.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 01:22 AM
How thin would we be looking now if we hadn't snagged Blair? I still find that one difficult to fathom.

The Spurs seem to be approaching free agency as if they hadn't.

HarlemHeat37
07-03-2009, 01:25 AM
drafting Blair was huge, and drafting McClinton could end up being very significant..our bench looks like it's going to have a lot of potential for this year, which could end up being the difference for us..

weebo
07-03-2009, 01:27 AM
The one guy not being talked about very much is Dice. Got a weird feeling he ends up in SA...

I really hope you're right. Dice, overall, seems like the better player for the Spurs. A quiet guy that works hard and goes about his business. Although I like the idea of having Sheed sign, in the end, it is a better fit for the Spurs to go after Dice.

objective
07-03-2009, 01:35 AM
There are those Spurs fans (not talking about you, specifically) that will always go with the unknown product over the known player. For example, if you asked Spurs fans if they'd rather have Splitter or Pau Gasol, there'd be that contingent that goes with Splitter.

any poster who says they'd rather have Splitter than Pau should be pinked outright. That is madness. And I like Splitter, but Pau is remarkable.

:ihit

timvp
07-03-2009, 01:38 AM
any poster who says they'd rather have Splitter than Pau should be pinked outright. That is madness. And I like Splitter, but Pau is remarkable.

Speaking of Splitter, have you watched any of his footage from this past season? The couple games I've watched so far were pretty disappointing. :depressed

objective
07-03-2009, 01:48 AM
I was talking about Spurs fans in general, not you. I think we've both agreed that we'd like to see Sanikidze given a legitimate chance and at least give him a season to show what he can do in Austin. IIRC, our stances are relatively similar on Javtokas as well.

I was just cautioning against the sentiment that ends up overrating the unknown.

It's a tough balance to figure out how much NBA experience is really worth. Unfortunately, the Spurs haven't been too good at figuring out that balance as of late. It's like they went from overrating foreign talent to underrating foreign talent midstream.

I would agree in general about the overrating of the unknown, maybe moreso with guys who are available at draft time (Gladyr, Eyenga, etc). And a caustic reaction the other way as well (my initial reaction to George Hill was quite poor, I barely knew him and was upset over Batum).

It's a small point, but I would put forward however that on the list of overrated unknowns Sanikidze doesn't quite belong, because as far as I can tell he's still pretty much off the radar as far as all but the most hardcore fans. Splitter and Javtokas has been the subject of EN articles at free agency time, occasionally talked up by the press like ESPN, talked up on DX, a spurs press conference, etc. Javtokas also in the past has been talked about by Don Harris and other SA tv guys, talked about on the radio, talked about during Spurs radio pre-game by Sam Presti, appeared in nationally televised Olympic and WC games during which times the American announcers talk about him and his Spurs history.

Sanikidze though is pretty much off the radar. It's me, you, Bruno and a handful of other people who even remember him (and don't confuse him with Karaulov). :lol

objective
07-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Speaking of Splitter, have you watched any of his footage from this past season? The couple games I've watched so far were pretty disappointing. :depressed

only bits and pieces, nothing longer than a 6 minute stretch of any game. He didn't look like star material.

But for myself I only ever hoped for a mobile, long young big who could do what he did in International play. Set screens, guard well, contest. Finish around the rim when set up by teammates, run the court. Don't screw up.

And for the Spurs that's about a dream come true. He seemed weaker in the post straight up on defense then I remembered him being, but not as bad as say, Chris Anderson. I think Splitter would do a better job on Pau than Anderson did.

If there was any chance Splitter could come over, I'm confident he'd easily be better than Mikki Moore, Calvin Booth, Channing Frye, Johan Petro, etc.

And with such a good roster around him, I think he'd have a smooth transition to become the player that people expected when he was drafted.

TheSpursFNRule
07-03-2009, 03:05 AM

Yeah im starting to get this really weird feeling that he will end up in SA because of the lack of talking about him. It would be just like Jefferson, they do it without making any noise about it. Coulda been VC and Sheed but will be more than happy with RJ and Dice. :toast

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 03:47 AM
Sanikidze looks like Rudy Fernandez to me, but he is mighty skinny still. Does anyone think he will ever come over? We were pretty pumped to get him when he was drafted. I thought he was going to be in the Summer League, but he isn't.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 03:51 AM
If there was any chance Splitter could come over, I'm confident he'd easily be better than Mikki Moore, Calvin Booth, Channing Frye, Johan Petro, etc.

Safe bet. Tau was smart to sign splitter for 2 years. I am sure they are hoping to get something back in return for him, it almost makes more sense for them to let Splitter go so they at least get some cash.

mountainballer
07-03-2009, 05:42 AM
if the Spurs can get Frye for small money, they have to do it. of course not as the #2 big on the roster. but as a 4th or 5th man in the big rotation....why not. and sometimes a 26 years old pony can still be taught a new trick.
just a guess: if the Spurs could get McDyess for something like 4 million/per and Frye for the remaining 1.6 million from the MLE, this could turn out a pretty nice deal.
(unlikely anyhow, Frye will get some half MLE offers from desperate teams)

Spurs Brazil
07-03-2009, 06:41 AM
I don't like the Splitter option. We already have 2 young guys on the C/PF for next season.

I think we need a guy who can finish games and I don't think he can do that.

I think the best option for him is now in 2010 in Bonner or Ian place

Grundle
07-03-2009, 06:47 AM
Sanikidze looks like Rudy Fernandez to me, but he is mighty skinny still. Does anyone think he will ever come over? We were pretty pumped to get him when he was drafted. I thought he was going to be in the Summer League, but he isn't.
No. If he hasn't bulked up by 23 (or whatever he is), he never will. I'm pretty sure the Spurs org. has given up on him.

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 06:57 AM

Good Question

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 07:01 AM

Haven't seen much of him. Only on you tube Timvp. But to be honest with you i'm tired of hearing about him. His potential and Ian and sankidize and jaktovas or whatever his name is doesn't do s*&% for us. Let's hope Ian is worth the jersey he wears and we land A good big and let's go get this money and :lobt2:. End of rant:lol

urunobili
07-03-2009, 08:14 AM
It looks I'm probably the only poster that wouldn't mind to grab Frye... I think that under the right system that kid can shine... The games i got to see him last season he was actually very good... tough on D and hit clutch three's as well... I think he IS an upgrade over Bonner... that said.... The perfect option of a Mobile big for the Spurs is Linas Kleiza.

On my prediction of how this will pan out:

Boston: Sheed, Davis
Orlando: Bass, Varejao
Mavs: Gortat, Hollins
Cavs: Odom
Spurs: Dice, Frye
Denver: Kleiza

ElNono
07-03-2009, 08:19 AM

I has Twitter. I has to fill it up.

Bucher has no clue what he's talking about.

Extra Stout
07-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Complete the tweet!

Ocotillo
07-03-2009, 08:38 AM
I don't see Splitter coming this year because he would still be paid rookie scale which is not enough. If he comes, it would be next season when he has a buy out and more could be paid to him.

Dang it, I want Sankidze in Austin rather than some obscure eastern Euor league so we can see what he's got.

Extra Stout
07-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Yesterday we proposed a principle to follow, which is that NBA "experts" in the national media do not have any reliable inside information on the Spurs apart from what is available in this very forum.

tmtcsc
07-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Agreed. He's no answer. What happened to the PF that can hit the three, play D and post up ? If we don't get Sheed, then bring in a defensive minded player. Go for McDyess or put something together to bring in Camby.

Am I the only one that thinks Artest is a team killer ? The dude monopolizes the ball and is not a very smart player. How many times did he bull his way into the lane with 3 defenders swiping at the ball ? What a head ache. The lakers made a mistake.

Das Texan
07-03-2009, 10:22 AM
does bucher just throw shit against the wall and see what sticks?

EricB
07-03-2009, 10:29 AM

Wow, pinked for thinking that?

Someone needs rittalin.

EricB
07-03-2009, 10:30 AM
It looks I'm probably the only poster that wouldn't mind to grab Frye... I think that under the right system that kid can shine... The games i got to see him last season he was actually very good... Dtough on and hit clutch three's as well... I think he IS an upgrade over Bonner... that said.... The perfect option of a Mobile big for the Spurs is Linas Kleiza.

On my prediction of how this will pan out:

Boston: Sheed, Davis
Orlando: Bass, Varejao
Mavs: Gortat, Hollins
Cavs: Odom
Spurs: Dice, Frye
Denver: Kleiza

You have to be getting the soft pipecleaner arm kid mixed up with someone else.

Muser
07-03-2009, 10:38 AM
No just deep throated each member including the coaching staff one at a time for 24 hrs straight.

Quiet night for Paris then.

Blackjack
07-03-2009, 01:12 PM
The Bucher Tweet

48MoH reader mattmo28 exchanged tweets with Ric Bucher last night:
mattmo28@RicBucher Whats the deal with the Spurs not pushing for Sheed? Who are we after? Who fits best?

about 4 hours ago from web in reply to RicBucher

@mattmo28 Have heard McDyess and Frye. There’s a chance Tiago Splitter could be coming over, which would solve a *lot* of problems.

If you’re keeping up, which is a difficult task at this point, the Spurs are connected to a lot of free agents. Channing Frye, Brandon Bass, Rasheed Wallace, Marcin Gortat, Lamar Odom, Antonio McDyess, Morris Almond and Josh Childress. Here’s what I take from it: no one outside the Spurs brass is privy to their targets, and I suspect that they’ve not limited themselves to a single name just yet.

Prior to July 1, the Spurs had to make a decision of whether to strike fast in free agency or to sit out the initial frenzy and let other teams set the table for them. By all appearances, they’ve chosen the path of patience. The disadvantage to this decision is that your best options–Rasheed Wallace, as an example–will receive lavish invitations from elsewhere prior to speaking with you. If the money is more or less equal, a big showing of love is the deciding factor. Or so goes the thinking of GMs who spent the initial minutes of July 1st knocking on a free agent’s door. There is a certain logic to this approach, a logic that falls apart as soon as Marcin Gortat commits to Dallas. Nevertheless, Joe Dumars landed his guys by striking fast. It can be the right move.

But patience has its rewards. The Spurs can take advantage of the successes and failures of other teams. Who knows, maybe the Lakers acquisition of Ron Artest will cause Buford and company to rethink their targets. Or maybe the domino effect of that signing indirectly favors San Antonio. Another advantage to waiting is that the Spurs can more accurately evaluate cost. Rasheed Wallace is visiting San Antonio next week. Boston reportedly offered Sheed the MLE for two years. So, if you’re the Spurs….

The longer the free agent season drags out, the less money there is to spend. Or, put differently, a player’s ability to leverage one team’s cash against another’s decreases. The Spurs are putting themselves in a position to bargain hunt.

Worse case scenario: the Spurs have to choose between Drew Gooden and Zaza Pachulia, or some such. That’s not so bad. It’s still an upgrade over last year’s team, with a healthy Ginobili, a freshly acquired Jefferson, and young players such as DeJuan Blair, George Hill and Ian Mahinmi in the mix.

The curious thing about the Bucher tweet is the inclusion of Tiago Splitter’s name. Here’s the deal: rumors have circulated for a month or more that Baskonia might be open to letting Splitter go for a fee. The short explanation says they’re going through a minor rebuild, and it might make more basketball and financial sense to part with Splitter now rather than later. For Splitter, there is the opportunity to step in and play important minutes on what has the promise of being a championship contending squad. But nothing has come from Splitter or the Spurs to this end. The Spurs have maintained that Splitter is not in their plans this summer; Splitter remains under contract in Spain. I’d guess that Bucher has heard this chatter, but little else.

Don’t get your hopes up about Tiago Splitter. And besides, some of the other free agent options might be better fits for the Spurs. As a friend recently half-joked, the Spurs are in danger of getting too young too fast. Tim Duncan will feel like he’s running a daycare if flanked by DeJuan Blair, Ian Mahinmi, Tiago Splitter and James Gist.

The lesson within the Tiago Splitter rumor is that the Spurs’ front office is juggling more balls than we know about. They might surprise us.

Now that we’re a full 48 hours into the free agent period some fans are frustrated that the Spurs haven’t been more aggressive. Where is the full court press that is required to sign a name like Rasheed Wallace? But we should relax a bit. The Spurs have lots of options at their disposal, and the offseason is young. Let it play out. The team will come out just fine.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/07/03/the-bucher-tweet/

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 01:33 PM
The reason it makes sense for Splitter to join this summer as opposed to the next one is twofold. First, he starts the clock on his NBA career. His first contract in the NBA will be small, regardless if it's rookie scale (if he signs this summer) or not (next summer he'd likely receive the 3 years/$9 mil that Scola received). Once he completes that contract, he will probably be able to receive a long term, big money deal. In addition, he increases the likelihood that he will be able to get a 2nd large contract during a prospective NBA career.

The second reason is that right now the starting 5 spot would be his for the taking. The longer he continues to stay in Spain, the greater the likelihood that the Spurs will fill out their bigman rotation and he wouldn't have a chance at a spot in the starting lineup and the opportunity to establish himself as an elite NBA bigman and cash in on that. One can imagine that the Spurs would find a way to address their bigman needs, perhaps via trade. While, yes, Splitter would prefer to sign a deal unlimited by the rookie scale next summer, perhaps the Spurs will be in a position in which they don't need him, but also don't deal him. He could, of course, attempt to force their hand, but the Spurs could very well be content to see him play a few more years in Europe at that point if they have filled out their bigman rotation.

If Splitter wants a NBA career and the large guaranteed long term money that is commonly thrown at decent bigs, then it makes a lot of sense for him to join the Spurs this summer.

From the Spurs' perspective, I think they have in mind a few free agents who they are pursuing to start for them and are offering a full MLE contract. If those don't pan out, the Spurs could very well offer the starting 5 spot to Splitter and then use the MLE to add a proven backup bigman to round out the rotation. That would explain why the Spurs have been linked to interest in Gortat, Bass, Frye, and Davis this early in free agency. It would make plenty of sense that if they strike out on Wallace, McDyess, and Pachulia that their next move would be to bring over Splitter on the rookie deal (and agree to make him an unrestricted free agent in 3 years) and then use the MLE, LLE, and/or a trade involving their expiring contracts (ie Bonner and Finley) to add a reserve big and fill out the rest of the roster.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 01:35 PM
Also, I'd say that Scola's ability to make the jump from the ACB to the NBA works in Splitter's favor as the Spurs are likely to feel more comfortable in assuming that he could start in SA.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 01:45 PM
The longer the free agent season drags out, the less money there is to spend. Or, put differently, a player’s ability to leverage one team’s cash against another’s decreases. The Spurs are putting themselves in a position to bargain hunt.

True. After a certain group of free agents commits, then you are going to have a remaining group of solid players competing for a dwindling amount of free agent money. The Spurs still have their MLE and LLE. They could really fill out their roster if they go that route. And I suspect that we will see one more trade, which could be another great basketball trade like the Jefferson one. They have expiring contracts in Bonner, Finley, Mason, and Williams. In Williams' case, his deal is fully nonguaranteed until at least August 3rd. A team could cut a lot of payroll by making a deal with the Spurs which included Williams.

Of course, if the Spurs were able to land Splitter on a rookie deal, then they could not only go into bargain hunting mode, but they could also make a run using their full MLE at a restricted free agent whose team might be forced to let him walk due to financial concerns.

texasqb2
07-03-2009, 01:47 PM
What's the deal with Shawn Marion? How come no one is talking about him?

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 01:50 PM
What's the deal with Shawn Marion? How come no one is talking about him?

He's a douche.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 01:51 PM
raptors offered marion a four year deal at 32 mil http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60315/20090703/raptors_offer_marion_four_year_deal/

Bruno
07-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Splitter should be a fine player in the NBA. If Spurs can get him on the rookie scale this summer, it will be awesome.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 01:55 PM
A full MLE run at Josh Childress would make a lot of sense if the Spurs were able to sign Splitter and acquire a solid reserve bigman via trade (ie Foster), for example.

EmantheSpursFan
07-03-2009, 02:08 PM
The reason it makes sense for Splitter to join this summer as opposed to the next one is twofold. First, he starts the clock on his NBA career. His first contract in the NBA will be small, regardless if it's rookie scale (if he signs this summer) or not (next summer he'd likely receive the 3 years/$9 mil that Scola received). Once he completes that contract, he will probably be able to receive a long term, big money deal. In addition, he increases the likelihood that he will be able to get a 2nd large contract during a prospective NBA career.

The second reason is that right now the starting 5 spot would be his for the taking. The longer he continues to stay in Spain, the greater the likelihood that the Spurs will fill out their bigman rotation and he wouldn't have a chance at a spot in the starting lineup and the opportunity to establish himself as an elite NBA bigman and cash in on that. One can imagine that the Spurs would find a way to address their bigman needs, perhaps via trade. While, yes, Splitter would prefer to sign a deal unlimited by the rookie scale next summer, perhaps the Spurs will be in a position in which they don't need him, but also don't deal him. He could, of course, attempt to force their hand, but the Spurs could very well be content to see him play a few more years in Europe at that point if they have filled out their bigman rotation.

If Splitter wants a NBA career and the large guaranteed long term money that is commonly thrown at decent bigs, then it makes a lot of sense for him to join the Spurs this summer.

From the Spurs' perspective, I think they have in mind a few free agents who they are pursuing to start for them and are offering a full MLE contract. If those don't pan out, the Spurs could very well offer the starting 5 spot to Splitter and then use the MLE to add a proven backup bigman to round out the rotation. That would explain why the Spurs have been linked to interest in Gortat, Bass, Frye, and Davis this early in free agency. It would make plenty of sense that if they strike out on Wallace, McDyess, and Pachulia that their next move would be to bring over Splitter on the rookie deal (and agree to make him an unrestricted free agent in 3 years) and then use the MLE, LLE, and/or a trade involving their expiring contracts (ie Bonner and Finley) to add a reserve big and fill out the rest of the roster.
:toast
I was thinking about this last night maybe its not such a pipedream after all... hmm RC did say it was time to bring in some of the over sea prospects maybe i'm reading to far into this but still who knows whats going to happen i just feel like something is brewing and its going to be bad for the rest of the nba! haha
:flag:

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 02:09 PM
If Splitter doesn't come over this summer I am going to be really disappointed. He has the chance to be a starter on a championship calibre team, and start next to one of the top big men of all time in Tim Duncan. It would be like Barcelona, AC Milan, or Man U wanting Jozy Altidore to start for them now. Why would he say no? Does he lack confidence? Is he taking advice from an agent that could care less about him? It is getting really ridiculous.

If that happens it would change the complexion of this FA period. The FO for SA is freaking quite as hell, it is like New England in the NFL. No one talks, not the players, not the staff, no one. Frustrating for fans good for business.

SonOfAGun
07-03-2009, 02:11 PM
If Splitter doesn't come over this summer I am going to be really disappointed. He has the chance to be a starter on a championship calibre team, and start next to one of the top big men of all time in Tim Duncan. It would be like Barcelona, AC Milan, or Man U wanting Jozy Altidore to start for them now. Why would he say no? Does he lack confidence? Is he taking advice from an agent that could care less about him? It is getting really ridiculous.

If that happens it would change the complexion of this FA period. The FO for SA is freaking quite as hell, it is like New England in the NFL. No one talks, not the players, not the staff, no one. Frustrating for fans good for business.

The guy that doesn't talk is the most dangerous!

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 02:16 PM
The guy that doesn't talk is the most dangerous!
for sure. your sig is hilarious:lol

DPG21920
07-03-2009, 02:39 PM
MB: when would be the earliest the Spurs could get Splitter? The 8th?

Also, RC was pretty direct when asked about Splitter coming over. He said he is not coming over or that it was highly unlikely.

Big P
07-03-2009, 02:54 PM
A full MLE run at Josh Childress would make a lot of sense if the Spurs were able to sign Splitter and acquire a solid reserve bigman via trade (ie Foster), for example.

How does Childress make sense after signing RJ?

Bartleby
07-03-2009, 02:55 PM

Also, RC was pretty direct when asked about Splitter coming over. He said he is not coming over or that it was highly unlikely.

Didn't he also mention bringing one or two of their guys from Europe (and this was prior to the draft)?

Gist is almost certainly one and I doubt the other is Sanikidze or Javtokas.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I just want a concrete reason as to why Splitter doesn't come now. Money isn't a reason. If they don't want him, trade him, then say he sucks after the fact, no sense in decreasing trade value.

Spurs FO needs to poop or get out the port-a-potty those things stink

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 03:00 PM
How does Childress make sense after signing RJ?

Childress can play the 3 and 2 and wouldn't be a bad small ball 4. It certainly wouldn't hurt the team to have a tall, multiskilled wing like him.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 03:03 PM

I believe that they can sign him at any time, unless draft picks are subject to the moratorium (I have forgotten). If Splitter is a possibility to come over if the starting 5 spot is open, then it would make sense that he would be signed if they strike out on Wallace and McDyess.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Even if he is not going to start right away and we sign McDyess for insurance we should get him here to work his way onto the floor.

Big P
07-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Childress can play the 3 and 2 and wouldn't be a bad small ball 4. It certainly wouldn't hurt the team to have a tall, multiskilled wing like him.

I hear you, but we have more pressing needs now IMO, like a PF/C. We have enough swingmen. Bass, Zaza, Dice, Sheed, Gooden, Maybe the LLE for Sheldon Williams(or is he a complete bust?)

Tully365
07-03-2009, 03:23 PM

Sheed to Boston
McDyess to SA
Gortat to Dallas

...then, and only then, will the world take a chill pill and calm the fuck down. :lol

This sounds right to me, and I hope it does happen this way. After weighing the Rasheed vs Dice question for the last few days, I'm going with Dice-- his offensive rebounding and total rebounding #s are better, and Rasheed's FG% is just way too low. Plus, with Dice there's little fear of not fitting in or acting up.

DPG21920
07-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes, RC did say some players would be coming over from Europe (Gist...), but when asked directly about Splitter, he was straight forward in saying it was highly unlikely.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I hear you, but we have more pressing needs now IMO, like a PF/C. We have enough swingmen. Bass, Zaza, Dice, Sheed, Gooden, Maybe the LLE for Sheldon Williams(or is he a complete bust?)

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Yes, RC did say some players would be coming over from Europe (Gist...), but when asked directly about Splitter, he was straight forward in saying it was highly unlikely.

"highly unlikely" != "won't happen"

Cheddz
07-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I just took a bucher and wiped my twitter.

Stunk up the place.

Ric Bucher's a tool.

jack0fspeed
07-03-2009, 05:30 PM
If I were Rasheed Wallace, I'd sign with the Spurs. Who wants to play against Shaq and Dwight Howard in the playoffs?

DPG21920
07-03-2009, 05:32 PM
"highly unlikely" != "won't happen"

I did not say it = won't happen. I said out of all the players in Europe the only one RC went out of his way to say was unlikely was Splitter.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I am hoping that is a smoke screen.

DPG21920
07-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Why would they need to smokescreen Tiago? They own his rights and no one else can sign him?

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Why would they need to smokescreen Tiago? They own his rights and no one else can sign him?

So as to not tip off free agents they are negotiating with...

DPG21920
07-04-2009, 02:59 AM
So you are saying the Spurs are promising playing time/starting spots that might not be there when the player signs?

Darkwaters
07-04-2009, 04:07 AM
So you are saying the Spurs are promising playing time/starting spots that might not be there when the player signs?

Plans within plans