PDA

View Full Version : Goran Dragic Bulking Up for Next Season

Unforgivable
07-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Via the Arizona Republic (no I'm not pull a Tacker and say I wrote this)

Taylor Griffin was in the green room of Madison Square Garden's theater on draft night just like the top picks. But when Phoenix drafted him four hours into it, he had left to eat with family, including the top pick, brother Blake, who brought him there.
"I never got my draft hat," he said.
Griffin got his Suns gear this week, donning practice duds for workouts at US Airways Center. He's getting acclimated to the team he could make - even as a second-round pick with no guarantees. The 6-foot-7, 235-pound Oklahoma forward could be the 13th man on the Suns roster.
With the chances of Amaré Stoudemire remaining a Sun increasing, Phoenix would have 10 guaranteed contracts once first-round pick Earl Clark signs and if Ben Wallace accepts a buyout. Most of Steve Nash's salary is guaranteed but it becomes fully guaranteed Aug. 1. If the Suns sign Grant Hill (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/07/02/20090702sunsgriffin0703.html#) and a big man, they would have an open spot to reach the roster minimum.
"I've heard I have an above-average chance of making the team," Griffin said. "That's all I can ask for. I plan on having a great summer league and showing them I'm a lot better player than what people saw in college. I had to play a certain role that fit our team and made us successful. Coach (Jeff) Capel even agreed that I'm a better perimeter player that what I did in college."
Griffin, 23, played both forward spots as a senior, averaging 9.6 points and 5.8 rebounds with 36 percent 3-point accuracy. To prep for life as a pro small forward, he concentrated on ball-handling and perimeter shooting for the past three months.
"What stays the same is my defensive intensity," Griffin said. "In college, I guarded guys who were bigger than me. Now I shift my efforts to guarding guys who are quicker than me and increasing my lateral quickness to guard twos, threes and fours."
Griffin's bio was not in a 111-player NBA draft (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/07/02/20090702sunsgriffin0703.html#) guide before the Suns took him at No. 48 but they valued his work ethic, toughness, athleticism and character.
"The thing that distinguishes Taylor from a lot of people of his makeup is he really has tremendous feel for the game," Suns Senior Vice President (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/07/02/20090702sunsgriffin0703.html#) of Basketball Operations David Griffin said. "He's an outstanding passer. Playing with his brother, there were quite a few times he'd play the high post for his brother's low post. He's a very good transition player and somebody who we know is of the absolute highest character and really fits what we're trying to build here."
Griffin played this week with returnees Goran Dragic and Robin Lopez (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2009/07/02/20090702sunsgriffin0703.html#).
In prior weeks, Dragic was working out daily in Los Angeles for 3 1/2 hours on strength, fitness and basketball. He weighs 195 pounds with 3.9 percent body fat after being listed at 180 pounds last year. He went into the sessions able to hold a plank for four minutes and left doing it for 15 minutes.
"I'm more physically prepared," he said. "I'm stronger. It's going to be much easier. Last season, it was a bit hard at first. I got confidence by the end and played better. This season is going to be a different story.
"I know what I can expect from other players and the league and how I have to react. I can help the team more."

Be scared, White Magic Dragic is going to unleash his wrath next season. Most Improved Player of the Year.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-02-2009, 11:25 PM
It's good to see other people are noticing White Magic.

Ghazi
07-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Dragic > Canadian Cancer !!!1

DUNCANownsKOBE2
07-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Dragic > Canadian Cancer !!!1

It's good to see you've seen the light.