PDA

View Full Version : Do the Spurs now trade Finley and Booner maybe Mason

Buddy Holly
07-03-2009, 12:53 AM
With Artest going to LA.

Do the Spurs now trade Fin, Bonner and maybe Mason?

Man In Black
07-03-2009, 12:55 AM
For what exactly?

Buddy Holly
07-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Bonner, Finley to Houston for Battier?

Houston is in rebuild mode. Shane has three years left. Fin and Bonner are expiring. They looking to be players in the 2010 sweepstakes. This helps them.

Spurs could use Battier at the 3 behind RJ.

HarlemHeat37
07-03-2009, 01:03 AM
The Artest move doesn't change anything for us..

the plan is still the same..

we need a starting big man, and 1 or 2 more good pieces on the bench..this doesn't change anything..

Buddy Holly
07-03-2009, 01:04 AM
The Artest move doesn't change anything for us..

the plan is still the same..

we need a starting big man, and 1 or 2 more good pieces on the bench..this doesn't change anything..

I know, that 1 good piece off the bench could be attained via a trade.

Ditty
07-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Bonner, Finley to Houston for Battier?

Houston is in rebuild mode. Shane has three years left. Fin and Bonner are expiring. They'll save money on this deal come 2010 when they looking to strike.

Spurs could use Battier at the 3 behind RJ.

u got my idea :toast

perfect fit now that ariza is in town

don't know if they would trade to a in-state and divison rival

but who knows rockets and spurs have good blood

Buddy Holly
07-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Tony/Hill
Mason/Manu/McClinton
RJ/Battier/Gist
Tim/Blair
Wallace/Ian

That's pretty sick.

Mr. Body
07-03-2009, 01:18 AM
I'll be bolluxed if Houston made that trade.

HarlemHeat37
07-03-2009, 01:19 AM
Houston might be in rebuilding mode now though, so taking back some expiring contracts could do them good..depends on their view of their season, and if they would make a deal with a rival..maybe give us something back for the generous Scola deal..

it could open up a starting spot for Ariza..

itzsoweezee
07-03-2009, 01:19 AM

i don't care who they get in return, but i'm sure it'd be a step up from finley and bonner.

Kindergarten Cop
07-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Who is Booner? :lol:toast

timvp
07-03-2009, 01:34 AM
The only other person I've seen make the Booner typo is ducks. Buddy Holly = ducks? :wow

scottspurs
07-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Finley, Bonner, and Mason are great expiring contract trade assets, but I think if we were to trade them it would be during the season when teams are looking to rebuild around the all star game and trade deadline. Right now all these teams believe they can compete. That time would also give our young guys time to learn the offense and defense so they can step in and replace those guys.

NewJerSpur
07-03-2009, 01:38 AM
The only other person I've seen make the Booner typo is ducks. Buddy Holly = ducks? :wow

:lol

Blackjack
07-03-2009, 01:39 AM
If the Spurs could get Battier?:elephant :drunk

NewJerSpur
07-03-2009, 01:39 AM
Where is Ducks anyway?

Ditty
07-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Tony/Hill/McClinton
Mason/Manu/Hairston
RJ/Battier/Gist
Tim/Mcdyess
Wallace/Blair/Ian

That's pretty sick.

and would defintley beat LA

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 01:43 AM
Houston making such a trade would be an admission that Yao and McGrady are done and would give them additional flexibility for the great NO LIMIT summer of 2010.

Blackjack
07-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Houston making such a trade would be an admission that Yao and McGrady are done and would give them additional flexibility for the great NO LIMIT summer of 2010.

And give me a new level of respect.:hat

The Spurs absolutely need that starting big, but I really feel they need one more defensive-wing, with size, now that Bowen's gone. It's why I was looking at a guy like Brown so much in the draft.

Battier would be the absolute perfect Bowen replacement and is a guy who was born to be a Spur.

Mr. Body
07-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Battier is the largest salary on the team behind Yao and T-Mac, not including Ariza. Didn't know that.

You gotta think they could get more than our piddly expirings for Battier, though.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 02:05 AM
Battier is past his prime and has two years and $14 mil left on his contract. His production is not that great and he missed a fourth of last season. The Rockets are apparently investing a significant amount in a younger player at that spot. Yes, I think it's unlikely, but it's not like Battier was putting up anything close to Jefferson's production. If the Rockets decide that 2009-10 is over before they start and have an eye towards making a splash in free agency next summer, shedding a contract which extends past 2010 makes sense, especially if they can cut the amount of guaranteed money they owe this season, which is what Marcus Williams' nonguaranteed contract would provide.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 02:07 AM
Battier is a nice role player but unfortunately he tends to be overvalued thanks to his Dooky pedigree.

Ariel
07-03-2009, 02:17 AM
Battierīs contract runs 2 years at around $ 7 million each, which far from an albatross, is actually an excellent deal for a player that calibre. So with the proposed trade Houston would end up paying roughly the same money this season for not nearly the same production, just to unload a very reasonable deal for a very good and dependable player the next one. Iīm sure if they decided itīs in their best interest to take his salary off the books for the season following the next one, they would find much better offers than that.

Blackjack
07-03-2009, 02:18 AM
Battier is a nice role player but unfortunately he tends to be overvalued thanks to his Dooky pedigree.

Are you saying he wouldn't be great in a Bowen-type role, or are you just talking to those who are completely out of touch?

Buddy Holly
07-03-2009, 02:19 AM

Wasn't offering Artest only one year the admission?

Buddy Holly
07-03-2009, 02:23 AM
How about a S&T with Atlanta.

Finley, Bonner and the rights to Tiago for Childress?

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 02:23 AM
That would be an albatross if they are looking at 2010 to make a run at the cream of the free agent crop, which is something you can count on Alexander doing. Plus, perhaps they don't want the same level of production...and they can cut some of that guaranteed money next season if Williams is included in a deal. Also, $7 mil per for a bench player isn't necessarily regarded as nice, especially for a team which is rebuilding. Sure, it's far from a given, but Battier is not a franchise player, nor has he ever been a major offensive player. His rep tends to be a bit inflated. If next season is going to be a down year for Houston, I have a feeling they'd prefer to make the most of it and enter next summer with a high lottery pick, a Yao on the mend, and as much cap flexibility as possible.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 02:25 AM
Are you saying he wouldn't be great in a Bowen-type role, or are you just talking to those who are completely out of touch?

Jefferson will be in a Bowen-type role and then some. Battier would be nice for the bench. Battier's rep is far greater than his actual career warrants.

Danny.Zhu
07-03-2009, 02:29 AM
If we didn't get Richard that early, I may consider the Battier trade.

Neither Battier or Jefferson could play SG so this hypothetical trade could cause some overlap (US$21m only for SF) on the roster.

Blackjack
07-03-2009, 02:34 AM
Jefferson will be in a Bowen-type role and then some. Battier would be nice for the bench. Battier's rep is far greater than his actual career warrants.

Jefferson isn't the defender Battier is, and I'd actually consider starting Shane with R.J. if he were to come here. (maybe depending on lineups)

I'm not all that comfortable with having just Jefferson and Ginobili as the only 6' 6'' or taller wings on the team defensively. Just Look at the size L.A. can put out at the wing and it's easy to see why having someone other than R.J. or Manu would be a welcomed addition.

Ariel
07-03-2009, 02:42 AM
That would be an albatross if they are looking at 2010 to make a run at the cream of the free agent crop, which is something you can count on Alexander doing. Plus, perhaps they don't want the same level of production...and they can cut some of that guaranteed money next season if Williams is included in a deal. Also, $7 mil per for a bench player isn't necessarily regarded as nice, especially for a team which is rebuilding. Sure, it's far from a given, but Battier is not a franchise player, nor has he ever been a major offensive player. His rep tends to be a bit inflated. If next season is going to be a down year for Houston, I have a feeling they'd prefer to make the most of it and enter next summer with a high lottery pick, a Yao on the mend, and as much cap flexibility as possible.
What youīre doing is rationalizing why Houston may be interested in unloading Battier to create space under the cap towards next offseason. And it sounds perfectly possible, I donīt think itīs very difficult to see. Still doesnīt mean youīd land him for one year worth of garbage, if even one team would offer more than that for him. So unless youīre saying itīs not likely someone else offers more one year worth of garbage for Battier, itīs still a far fetched scenario. After all, I think we can all agree Morey isnīt going to gift wrap a valuable player to a division rival out of the kindness of his heart. Thatīs Bufordīs specialty.

Blackjack
07-03-2009, 02:47 AM
What youīre doing is rationalizing why Houston may be interested in unloading Battier to create space under the cap towards next offseason. And it sounds perfectly possible, I donīt think itīs very difficult to see. Still doesnīt mean youīd land him for one year worth of garbage, if even one team would offer more than that for him. So unless youīre saying itīs not likely someone else offers more one year worth of garbage for Battier, itīs still a far fetched scenario. After all, I think we can all agree Morey isnīt going to gift wrap a valuable player to a division rival out of the kindness of his heart. Thatīs Bufordīs specialty.

Damn, you were rolling and on your way to a clean exit, but then you had to go and turn that knife...:lol

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 02:47 AM
If Shane doesn't happen Finley and Bonner for James Posey works money wise. It wouldn't cost us splitter either.

Spurs da champs
07-03-2009, 03:11 AM
If they trade bonner,finley, and mason that gurantees ian a back up role of center and gist/mcclinton get a chance to possibly make the team.

DAF86
07-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Tony/Hill
Mason/Manu/McClinton
RJ/Battier/Gist
Tim/Blair
Wallace/Ian

That's pretty sick.

This would be sicker.

Tony/Hill
RJ/Manu/McClinton
Battier/Mason/Gist
Tim/Blair
Wallace/Ian

But it's not gonna happen.

DAF86
07-03-2009, 03:28 AM

Neither Battier or Jefferson could play SG so this hypothetical trade could cause some overlap (US$21m only for SF) on the roster.

RJ can play SG.

MagnusKrauss
07-03-2009, 03:30 AM
If the Spurs do trade Fin, Bonner, and Mason, maybe the Rockets could send us Battier and Scola? :stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 03:33 AM
If the Spurs do trade Fin, Bonner, and Mason, maybe the Rockets could send us Battier and Scola? :stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:
I would squirt poop if that really happened. The excitement would be too much.

NewJerSpur
07-03-2009, 03:59 AM
If Shane doesn't happen Finley and Bonner for James Posey works money wise. It wouldn't cost us splitter either.

Would be strange given Posey was NO's largest acquisition last year and both teams being in the same division, but on the other hand, they are a cheap team with no direction.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 04:03 AM
Would be strange given Posey was NO's largest acquisition last year and both teams being in the same division, but on the other hand, they are a cheap team with no direction.
word, anything is possible with NO right now. Hell we could still probably get chandler if we wanted, that organization is a mess.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 04:06 AM
actually to make the salaries work.... bonner/finley/mason = chandler
My biggest concern with that is Chandler's health, but he fits the bill as far as a blocking rebounding 7 foot young center goes.

NewJerSpur
07-03-2009, 04:09 AM
word, anything is possible with NO right now. Hell we could still probably get chandler if we wanted, that organization is a mess.

To think they were on the brink a season ago....my how things change. The same might happen to Denver sooner or later. Makes a fan appreciate what the Spurs have done that much more.

On another note, if we don't get some defensive help on the wing I think we need to do whatever it takes to get Bowen if/when he's waived....especially if the big(s) we wind up signing don't give us the defensive presence at the rim we could use to compensate being a bit weaker on the perimeter defensively.

NewJerSpur
07-03-2009, 04:10 AM
actually to make the salaries work.... bonner/finley/mason = chandler
My biggest concern with that is Chandler's health, but he fits the bill as far as a blocking rebounding 7 foot young center goes.

Besides his health, that would totally deplete our 3-point shooting with JM not being a lock to make the roster or being a proven NBA commodity at this extremely early stage in his career.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 04:14 AM
I was just throwing it out there as a hypothetical situation. I like Mason and wouldn't pull the trigger on that trade unless we could use the MLE or LLE on a good shooter plus a SF to add depth.

suitedkings
07-03-2009, 04:19 AM
Spurs need to send any of these 3 to Portland for Przybilla and Fernandez and get it over with.

mountainballer
07-03-2009, 06:45 AM

that's not totally true. Jefferson can play (and will play) some SG, he has the quickness to guard the big Kobe type SGs. Battier can play the small ball PF like few other SFs.
(btw. Battier measured with the exactly same size like Matt Bonner. he could of course also take much of Booner's role). so Battier would be the perfect 6th man, being able to effectively play both forward spots.

Big Empty
07-03-2009, 07:14 AM
what we coulda done was sign artest for a little more than the mle instead of Jeffersons 14 mill contract, and use the rest to throw 7 or 8 mil at rasheed. problem solved. I think jefferson is a big upgrade at sf and will help us. But I wish we played defense with free agency like did on the basketball court. HA! If we can still land Rasheed it will all be good! Artest may cause problems for LA and may be inconsistent throughout the year, but when they play the Spurs, look for him to have a career night like he always seems to ha!

SPURS21
07-03-2009, 07:48 AM
I'd trade em for Stephen Jackson.

Jackson can gaurd the likes of Kobe, Lebron, Vince, Melo plus can go off for 25+ on any give night and is clutch.

He is basically a taller, better defending RMJ

Trade the above for Buckets and pick up Sheed via free agency and we'd be well positioned to battle any team in a seven game series.

urunobili
07-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Overrated...

VivaPopovich
07-03-2009, 08:08 AM
With Artest going to LA.

Finley and Bonner definitely

Mason I'd keep

Spursmania
07-03-2009, 08:41 AM
u got my idea :toast

perfect fit now that ariza is in town

don't know if they would trade to a in-state and divison rival

but who knows rockets and spurs have good blood

Yeah, we gave them Scola, so they love us now:lol