PDA

View Full Version : Ron Artest to the Lakers? Ball don't lie.

rayray2k8
07-03-2009, 02:25 AM
Take it for what it's worth laker fans.
Guarantee the majority of the laker fans will disagree.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Ron-Artest-to-the-Lakers-?urn=nba,174475

Ron Artest to the Lakers?
By Kelly Dwyer

How in the world does this work?

Seriously, at any point during last year's Finals, was anyone telling themselves, "damn, the Lakers really need Ron Artest(notes)" ?!?

Apparently, for whatever reason, the Lakers are close to a deal with Ron Artest.

And it makes no sense.

The triangle offense demands a presence that doesn't hold onto the ball. It's an exacting thing that asks for quick decisions and smart resolutions.

Why Ron Artest, in any form, would have a place in this championship-driven mess? It boggles the mind.

The Lakers don't need him. His off-court palatables hardly matter. The Laker offense begs for players whose hands don't stick to the ball, and Ron's hands stick to the ball like no other. He's the wrong idea. He's a wasted face. He's the wrong choice.

Let that sink in.

He's the wrong choice.

The Lakers, as presented during June of 2009, had no flaws. Honestly, not a single flaw, outside of defending point guards.

Artest, as great as he is, solves absolutely nothing.

He's a fine player, and everyone knows his name, but the Lakers don't need him. He'll spin the radio chat show fodder funk to no end, but that means absolutely nothing. He's a defensive-minded small forward heading toward a team with small forward depth and a good defensive history.

The Lakers don't need Ron Artest. It's a pity that his talents don't mind that apogee.

La Peace
07-03-2009, 02:29 AM
According to him:

The 09 Lakers were a perfect, flawless basketball team.

And Ron Artest is teh sux.

KSeal
07-03-2009, 02:34 AM
I'll take Ron Artest as my starting SF over Luke Walton.

Ron, just stand out at the three point line and wait for Kobe or Pau to get doubled then catch the ball and shoot a wide open three, hold up three fingers, then run back down on the other end and play defense, that's it, that's all Trevor did. Can't be too hard to figure out.

ezau
07-03-2009, 02:44 AM
If it ain't broke don't fix it. The Lakers just made a move that don't improve or make them worse. What the fuck is that for? Are they doing it just because all the other teams are stacking up their lineup?

rayray2k8
07-03-2009, 02:48 AM
With Ariza gone, they had to fill in that hole.
Artest is an upgrade, but will it work? Only time will tell.

KSeal
07-03-2009, 02:51 AM
If it ain't broke don't fix it. The Lakers just made a move that don't improve or make them worse. What the fuck is that for? Are they doing it just because all the other teams are stacking up their lineup?

They did it because Ariza was threatening to leave cause he was mad the Lakers didn't overpay for him. So they saw someone that can do everything Ariza can and maybe even more and went with it. Ron Artest taking a few bad shots and making a few bad plays a game is a million times better then having Luke Walton and Morrison as your only SF going into camp. Plus it allowed them to most likely keep Lamar, cause they didn't have to overpay for Ariza to keep him happy. Great job by the Lakers.

ezau
07-03-2009, 02:56 AM
They did it because Ariza was threatening to leave cause he was mad the Lakers didn't overpay for him. So they saw someone that can do everything Ariza can and maybe even more and went with it. Ron Artest taking a few bad shots and making a few bad plays a game is a million times better then having Luke Walton and Morrison as your only SF going into camp. Plus it allowed them to most likely keep Lamar, cause they didn't have to overpay for Ariza to keep him happy. Great job by the Lakers.

That makes sense:toast

DAF86
07-03-2009, 02:56 AM
Artest is dumb as fuck, if you bealive Artest all of the suden will start making good decisions on a basketball court then you're dumber than him. No matter how Phill tries to slow Artest's role, Ron will still take awful shots and will take FG attemps out of Kobe, Gasol, Bynum and Odom. That's not a good thing for the Lakers. Sorry but I don't see Artest for Ariza as an upgrade for LA. Ariza's defense is also better than Artest's at this points of their careers.

ulosturedge
07-03-2009, 02:57 AM
Its true Ariza and his agent screwed this one up. No one was going to overpay the way the economy is and not to mention teams are catching on about being a little more steadfast about not shelling out money just because they need some immediate fixes. Its kind of annoying how LA is always the coveted organization to play for. They are the Yankees of Basketball. This was probably the best alternative for them. On paper it looks like a damn good move. In reality only time will tell if this gamble really pays off or not.

DrHouse
07-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Kobe can't win without Shaq. Lakers haven't done shit since '02.

KSeal
07-03-2009, 03:01 AM
Artest is dumb as fuck, if you bealive Artest all of the suden will start making good decisions on a basketball court then you're dumber than him. No matter how Phill tries to slow Artest's role, Ron will still take awful shots and will take FG attemps out of Kobe, Gasol, Bynum and Odom. That's not a good thing for the Lakers. Sorry but I don't see Artest for Ariza as an upgrade for LA. Ariza's defense is also better than Artest's at this points of their careers.

What a horrible decision by the Lakers to think Ron Artest as their starting SF would be better then Luke Walton. You're right, they should have let an angry Ariza just walk away and not have done anything to try and make up for it. Good stance.

Amaso
07-03-2009, 03:01 AM
Most fans try to make themselves feel better by saying that Ron Artest is a ticking time bomb. The guy took a paycut to win a championship on a loaded team. He knew what he was getting into in Houston and he knows what he's getting into now. Besides, he'll be playing 35+ minutes a game anyway at the SF spot.

DAF86
07-03-2009, 03:04 AM
Kobe can't win without Shaq. Lakers haven't done shit since '02.

I said that the Lakers were going to win it all last year (and the year before, but I got that wrong) so think of a better comeback.

DAF86
07-03-2009, 03:10 AM
What a horrible decision by the Lakers to think Ron Artest as their starting SF would be better then Luke Walton. You're right, they should have let an angry Ariza just walk away and not have done anything to try and make up for it. Good stance.

They should have waited for Ariza to get reasonable. But either way, I'm not saying the Lakers are better with Walton instead of Artest as a starting SF (which could be arguable), I'm saying that the Lakers were better with Ariza instead of Artest as a starting SF.

DAF86
07-03-2009, 03:14 AM
Most fans try to make themselves feel better by inventing quotes and changing the subject of the discussion instead of arguing like grown men because deep inside they know that what DAF86 is saying is true.

Thank you.

Allanon
07-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Does anybody seriously believe that Bynum/Pau/Artest/Odom/Kobe/Fish aren't a serious (if not the favorite) championship contender?

DAF86
07-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Does anybody seriously believe that Bynum/Pau/Artest/Odom/Kobe/Fish aren't a serious (if not the favorite) championship contender?

I didn't see anybody saying that.

KidCongo
07-03-2009, 03:37 AM
I think he makes them less efficient.

Kobe™
07-03-2009, 03:51 AM

A glorified "scrub" for a DPOY was a bad trade for L.A.

:toast

DAF86
07-03-2009, 03:53 AM
A glorified "scrub" for a DPOY was a bad trade for L.A.

:toast

Right now, that glorified scrub is a better defender than that DPOY.

jamisont
07-03-2009, 07:13 AM
choice for Mitch was only 2..
1. overpay Ariza and offer 7~8mil to Odom and if Odom walks, then he has to find power forward with MLE.
2. dont over pay Ariza and just sign Artest for MLE and offer Odom 9~10mil.

VivaPopovich
07-03-2009, 08:18 AM

yeah, probably

the lakers love attention, they love being the talk of the league. they couldnt stand being overshadowed by other teams for a few moments so they went out and did a stupid move

so the lakers get the attention they want as usual, but just made a real STUPID deal for artest that will cost them the championship

monosylab1k
07-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Yeah, Artest is a ball-stopper and a chucker, but there's no denying he's a significant upgrade over Ariza. Some of you guys are talking like Ariza was the second coming of Scottie Pippen.....the dude averaged like 9 points a game and only around 11 for the playoffs. Artest is way better and as far as being a spot-up 3 point shooter, he's better at that than Ariza is. If they can minimize his bad shots, then the only worry for the Lakers is locker room chemistry, but it's not like they've never had that problem before while winning titles.

Brazil
07-03-2009, 08:41 AM

Who said that ?

Lakers with Artest are the favorites to win next year, they were also favorites with Ariza.
Artest is an upgrade vs. Ariza ? I have my doubts, I'am a big fan of Ariza the kid has a hell of potential, Lakers will miss his clutch defenses at the end of the 4th. Artest is a risky bet and it's a fact, we will see.

Financially now, signing Artest for that cheap is an overall good bargain, regarding BB not so sure.

TheMACHINE
07-03-2009, 01:20 PM
They should have waited for Ariza to get reasonable. But either way, I'm not saying the Lakers are better with Walton instead of Artest as a starting SF (which could be arguable), I'm saying that the Lakers were better with Ariza instead of Artest as a starting SF.

Yah lets "wait" to see if Ariza gets reasonable....while we're waiting, we "hope" Artest doesnt sign with any other contenders like the Cavs...

yah that would be a smart business move. lol

Kobe™
07-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Why not, if you can make it better?

Doesn't matter what way you cut it, Lakers "stole" Artest at $18 million for 3 years. They get to keep their core, great chance to resign odom, and signed Artest for the MLE, Artest for the MLE!!!!

they did all this by signing him to a relatively short contract at 3 years, low risk high reward.