PDA

View Full Version : Trumped Again By The Lakers

Ghost Writer
07-03-2009, 06:17 AM
Well, I was happy.

Until last night when I learned that the defending champion Lakers would be signing Ron Artest, the game's best perimeter defender who can also hit a shot.

The Spurs had opportunities to get the mercurial Artest via trade and/or free agency since 2001 when the Bulls offered him to San Antonio for scraps.

Homers like exstatic feared that he would go nuts like he did in Indiana about 5 seasons ago.

Well, I hope his performance with the undermanned Rockets showed you something.

Now the Lakers are more powerful than ever and the Spurs' offseason positioning is all for nothing.

Fvck.

Mugen
07-03-2009, 06:21 AM
well you heard it first here kids, Spurs 2010 Champions.

mystargtr34
07-03-2009, 06:24 AM
So the Spurs go from Michael Finley to Richard Jefferson. The Lakers go from Trevor Ariza to Ron Artest. And the Lakers trump the Spurs? They're not even garuanteed of getting better, while the Spurs changed the entire dynamics of their team.

To trump the Spurs they'll need to swap Fisher for Devin Harris.

KSeal
07-03-2009, 06:24 AM
Ron is not the leagues best perimeter defender. If the Spurs get Sheed, Dcdyess or any legit big they have a sick lineup when healthy.

jason1301
07-03-2009, 06:28 AM
Even thought I think Artest is an upgrade over Trevor, he doesn't make the Lakers that much better as a team. Phil seems to like Ron a lot so you never know he may be the next Dennis Rodman with Odom Being Pippen and Kobe MJ the lakers will be hard to stop... part of me wants to believe that the lakers are just panicking seeing our spurs getting better and are making mistakes and Ron is one of them lol....

Mugen
07-03-2009, 06:28 AM
also lol at the leagues best perimeter defender having to rely on Shane Battier to guard Kobe because he got torched every time he tried to guard him.

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 06:31 AM
Well, I was happy.

Until last night when I learned that the defending champion Lakers would be signing Ron Artest, the game's best perimeter defender who can also hit a shot.

The Spurs had opportunities to get the mercurial Artest via trade and/or free agency since 2001 when the Bulls offered him to San Antonio for scraps.

Homers like exstatic feared that he would go nuts like he did in Indiana about 5 seasons ago.

Now the Lakers are more powerful than ever and the Spurs' offseason positioning is all for nothing.

Fvck.

The spurs off season positioning doesn't change much IMO. The way I look at it is with the addition of RJ and the possible addition of Sheed or dyess the spurs become A very deadly tool with A player at every position that can hurt you. VERY BAD. Ron cant defend every position. If we get sheed I still see us abusing them in the paint. The dual of duncan and sheed will prove to much for the not so tough frontline of the FAkers. Double Duncan and watch sheed gun you down or draw the big man out deep and watch duncan murder in A one on one situation. A thing of beauty. Add in the assasins of RJ manu and the killer himself parker and we have A recipe to give the oppositionheartaches night in and out. Mcdyess has about the same pontential to hurt you also. But the key is getting one of them. After that its on.:flag:

Ice009
07-03-2009, 06:39 AM
Well, I was happy.

Fvck.

Don't be a fucking pussy man.

So the Lakers go Ron, so what? The Spurs if healthy could have one of our best teams ever and I think we'll at least be able to compete against the Lakers unlike the last two seasons. What more do you want?

Grundle
07-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Well, I was happy.

Fvck.

My initial reaction was similar... but without resigning Odom or Ariza, I'm not sure how much better this makes the Lakers. If they can bring back one of those two guys, I might be a little concerned... until then, I don't see this as that much of a coup.

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 06:56 AM
Its sort of A wash in my opinion. Theyre maybe A tad better. But there is certain little things ariza did that ron cant do.

mudyez
07-03-2009, 07:05 AM

yeah .401 FG% and that he wasnt even the best defender on his own team

WOW...I'm scared!

MarHill
07-03-2009, 07:09 AM
I would wait to say the Spurs' offseason was trumped by the Lakers getting Ron Artest.

It is easy to play paper GM and project which team will be the strongest.

We already have 21_Blessings predicting 72 wins for the Lakers. Again.....slow down there!!

The NBA Season is a long haul! And as we Spurs fans saw.....injuries will play a key factor on who wins it all!!

The Lakers outside of Bynum and Odom (who still played) were injury-free last season. The Celts, Jazz, Rockets, and Spurs were all affected by major injuries last season.

And when you try to defend your championship....funky things will happen!!

So before some Spurs fans get upset thinking the Lakers stole the offseason from the Spurs....there is a season to be played and it will probably be the most competitive amongst the heavyweight teams in several seasons.

I can't wait for November!!!

Capt Bringdown
07-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Artest to the Lakers makes the Jefferson deal look absolutely puny by comparison. Lakers smash us (and the rest of the league) to the curb - again.

Artest is a gamble, but of course so was signing Ariza (8pts, 4 rebounds per game...BFD).
Artest can be the Lakers nasty go-to defender, freeing up Kobe even more to punish the opponents on the offensive end.

You gotta respect the Lakers for upgrading their team after a winning a championship. Too bad we lacked the wisdom, vision and balls to do that in the '07 postseason.

This was a viscious, ruthless move by the Lakers, the type they do so well. Nothing's a given in the NBA, this move might not work, but if it does, I think it's going to be a Rodman to the Bulls type dealio. Maybe even bigger.

And I don't think the Lakers would make this move unless they knew Odom's in the bag.

Spursfans, do really think our offseason moves (yaaay, Finley's coming back) will amount to much against a lineup of Kobe, Artest, Gasol, Odum and Bynum? That's one of scariest lineups the NBA's seen in years.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Well, I was happy.

Started right off with a complete lie. I stopped reading at that point.

Allanon
07-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Ron Artest and RJ are still background noise to the fact that the real question still lies with Lamar Odom and Mystery Spurs Big Man.

If the Lakers re-sign Odom (as they most likely will) the Spurs have to get their decent Big (ie Sheed, Gortat). Otherwise, the Spurs still can't contend with the Laker Bigs.

STill gotta wait and see how it shakes out.

Capt Bringdown
07-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Ron Artest and RJ are still background noise to the fact that the real question still lies with Lamar Odom and Mystery Spurs Big Man.

So that's only one mystery for the Lakers.

Spurs have several, including uncertainty about the health of Duncan and Manu going forward.
Everything else, including the Jefferson signing and Sheed possibilites are still background noise.

MarHill
07-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Artest to the Lakers makes the Jefferson deal look absolutely puny by comparison. Lakers smash us (and the rest of the league) to the curb - again.

Artest is a gamble, but of course so was signing Ariza (8pts, 4 rebounds per game...BFD).
Artest can be the Lakers nasty go-to defender, freeing up Kobe even more to punish the opponents on the offensive end.

You gotta respect the Lakers for upgrading their team after a winning a championship. Too bad we lacked the wisdom, vision and balls to do that in the '07 postseason.

This was a viscious, ruthless move by the Lakers, the type they do so well. Nothing's a given in the NBA, this move might not work, but if it does, I think it's going to be a Rodman to the Bulls type dealio. Maybe even bigger.

And I don't think the Lakers would make this move unless they knew Odom's in the bag.

Spursfans, do really think our offseason moves (yaaay, Finley's coming back) will amount to much against a lineup of Kobe, Artest, Gasol, Odum and Bynum? That's one of scariest lineups the NBA's seen in years.

Again....let's have some context!!!

We Spurs fans were asking the FO to get another dynamic scorer in the SF spot this offseason.

What they do.....they got RJ!! that surprised most Spurs fans and other NBA fans.

Do you think other teams were going to sit idly by and let the Spurs have the pub in the offseason? Let's be real!!

I give the Lakers kudos for getting Artest.

But...again we have must context!!

The NBA season is a long haul and injuries will be a major factor again this season.

Also, the Spurs had the second best record most of last season and still ended up with 54 wins. If everyone's healthy and the FO get that big......the Spurs will be right there.

The championship is never won in late June or early July!!!

Don't forget context, people!!!

Mitch Cumsteen
07-03-2009, 07:29 AM
This is a big risk for LA. We're talking about Ron Artest, here. The dude is not stable. Throw him into that drama-filled environment with the LA media fishbowl, and anything can happen. You up the pressure on Artest and bad things have a tendency to happen.

Not to mention the fact that he isn't the defender he used to be and can be a huge chucker on a team where Kobe gets all the shots. And Kobe is a shitty teammate and domineering personality... this has all the potential of a gigantic trainwreck. Ariza is 6 years younger, doesn't demand the ball, and only getting better.

This is highly volatile. I don't understand why the Lakers take this gamble. It seems highly unnecessary when the Spurs can't keep Duncan and Ginobili healthy for the playoffs and they don't have any other real competition in the West.

The_Game
07-03-2009, 07:32 AM
The spurs off season positioning doesn't change much IMO. The way I look at it is with the addition of RJ and the possible addition of Sheed or dyess the spurs become A very deadly tool with A player at every position that can hurt you. VERY BAD. Ron cant defend every position. If we get sheed I still see us abusing them in the paint. The dual of duncan and sheed will prove to much for the not so tough frontline of the FAkers. Double Duncan and watch sheed gun you down or draw the big man out deep and watch duncan murder in A one on one situation. A thing of beauty. Add in the assasins of RJ manu and the killer himself parker and we have A recipe to give the oppositionheartaches night in and out. Mcdyess has about the same pontential to hurt you also. But the key is getting one of them. After that its on.:flag:

so a 34 year old duncan and a 35 year old sheed is going to suddenly abuse the lakers frontline? riight....The Lakers have a GREAT frontcourt and is a big reason why the Lakers won the championship....a 40% jump shooter in sheed isn't going to help that tmuch.

Richard Jefferson would become a non factor going up against Artest.

If you want to think the spurs can beat the Lakers thats fine but to say duncan/sheed is going to murder the lakers inside is a joke...that simply won't happen.

sheed just sits on the three-point line these days...he is a slightly better verison of matt bonner at this stage of his career.

Spurs still lost to the mavs in 5 games in the playoffs, adding jefferson and maybe sheed isn't suddenly going to make them the best in the NBA. Who knows if manu can stay healthly...might be an idea moving him while you still can

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 07:38 AM
so a 34 year old duncan and a 35 year old sheed is going to suddenly abuse the lakers frontline? riight....The Lakers have a GREAT frontcourt and is a big reason why the Lakers won the championship....a 40% jump shooter in sheed isn't going to help that tmuch.

Richard Jefferson would become a non factor going up against Artest.

Gasol usually ended up with A slower defender or smaller defender with the orlando system like lewis. He is soft and will be at the mercy of sheed or duncan. Bynum though good needs A little more to his game. A 50 year old sheed and duncan abuses your frontline. You know this is true.

coachtf
07-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Well.....Artest is a huge upgrade talent wise that is obvious. Like Phil Jackson or not he has a way with these types of egos and can make it work. I would love to see Artest and Kobe go at it in practice it should be a war. This move is not something that makes it a lock for the Lakers this can be very complicated if Artest and Kobe cannot find common ground.

The_Game
07-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Gasol usually ended up with A slower defender or smaller defender with the orlando system like lewis. He is soft and will be at the mercy of sheed or duncan. Bynum though good needs A little more to his game. A 50 year old sheed and duncan abuses your frontline. You know this is true.

:lol get real

Gasol is a very good player and with how much duncan is on the decline I don't think the gap is very big right now. Keep dreaming if you think sheed is going to solve your problems inside...guy shot 40% this year and just camps out on the three-point line....Lakers are far quicker, bigger and more talented inside...spurs don't have a hope of stopping them.

Rummpd
07-03-2009, 07:42 AM

If the Spurs get Wallace:

Duncan
Wallace
Jefferson
Ginobili
Parker

Bests even the formidable Lakers lineup with 5 all stars starting and bring it on!

ElNono
07-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Quitter thread...

PBEEZY
07-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Pessimistic much? The mood swings from Spurs fans on this forum are crazy...Are y'all PMSing or sumthing? The lakers sign one free agent and your ready to hand them the title months before the season starts...Y'all crazy!!

21_Blessings
07-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Spurs aren't getting Wallace Rump, he's going to be Celtic. You know better.

Even then, Rasheed is a relic at this point in his career. He can't guard Bynum, Gasol in the post or stay with Odom on the perimeter.

lol Blair

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 07:51 AM
:lol get real

Gasol is a very good player and with how much duncan is on the decline I don't think the gap is very big right now. Keep dreaming if you think sheed is going to solve your problems inside...guy shot 40% this year and just camps out on the three-point line....Lakers are far quicker, bigger and more talented inside...spurs don't have a hope of stopping them.
Orlando had A chance but didnt have the coaching and experience to do it. While I must say you are the champs and I respect that if that had been A more experienced team you would have been packing. You better hope to the BBall gods that the ron artest thing works and we dont sign sheed or dice because you will by no means be A better team than the spurs. You are still A soft team and your bench is trash.But ill hold off for now because you are the champs. But once again we are coming.TBOOK IT. SPUUUURRRRSSS BBBABBBY.:ihit

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Pessimistic much? The mood swings from Spurs fans on this forum are crazy...Are y'all PMSing or sumthing? The lakers sign one free agent and your ready to hand them the title months before the season starts...Y'all crazy!!

Exactly. ESPN is drinking the kool aid to. Can't wait to hand there a%$^s to them. Spurs all the way.

The_Game
07-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Orlando had A chance but didnt have the coaching and experience to do it. While I must say you are the champs and I respect that if that had been A more experienced team you would have been packing. You better hope to the BBall gods that the ron artest thing works and we dont sign sheed or dice because you will by no means be A better team than the spurs. You are still A soft team and your bench is trash.But ill hold off for now because you are the champs. But once again we are coming.TBOOK IT. SPUUUURRRRSSS BBBABBBY.:ihit

Lakers are soft but Spurs aren't? :lol ok

You adding Sheed or Dice does not make you better than L.A..it makes you closer but adding a washed up sheed who can barely shoot 40% from the floor isn't going to help you against Gasol, Odom, Bynum.

It's amazing how little you forget that Dallas destroyed your team in the playoffs...yes manu was out but Duncan and Parker were there...as were most of your other current players yet adding Jefferson and a past it sheed is going to suddenly make that huge step to beating the Lakers or any of the other top teams?

I do agree though that the spurs are back as being a top contender and it will be fun to see these two match-up.

21_Blessings
07-03-2009, 07:56 AM
The only thing that can save the Spurs would be a reanimated 29 year old David Robinson. And The Admiral is not walking through that door.

dc_spursfan
07-03-2009, 08:02 AM
I will gladly take Blair and Jefferson over Ron Artest. I don't see LA beating a healthy Spurs without signing Odom. The Lakers now have no choice but to resign Odom because they can't use a MLE. Odom is the only player the spurs cant matchup with when on his game.
They have no expiring contracts worth trading for. The Spurs still need a center. However, that player does not need to be a all star and we have both a MLE and a exriring contracts.

urunobili
07-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Slomo:
Is there anychance we can get a cliffjumper emoticon? :cliffjumper

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 08:05 AM
I will gladly take Blair and Jefferson over Ron Artest. I don't see LA beating a healthy Spurs without signing Odom. The Lakers now have no choice but to resign Odom because they can't use a MLE. Odom is the only player the spurs cant matchup with when on his game.
They have no expiring contracts worth trading for. The Spurs still need a center. However, that player does not need to be a all star and we have both a MLE and a exriring contracts.

That's correct.

VivaPopovich
07-03-2009, 08:08 AM

He probably will.

He behaved for one season and thats supposed to mean he's going to behave for the rest of his life?

If Phil Jackson doesnt stick around that franchise is in trouble.

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 08:10 AM
He probably will.

He behaved for one season and thats supposed to mean he's going to behave for the rest of his life?

If Phil Jackson doesnt stick around that franchise is in trouble.

Let the meltdown begin.:lol

dc_spursfan
07-03-2009, 08:15 AM
I doubt Artest will be trouble this year. But people need to remember he was playing for a new contract last season. Artest is crazy but not stupid.

rascal
07-03-2009, 08:19 AM

There is a good chance that the Spurs will not get Wallace or McDyess. They may get there 4'th or 5'th option.

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 08:28 AM
There is a good chance that the Spurs will not get Wallace or McDyess. They may get there 4'th or 5'th option.

Well let's just hope that's not the case. Because like you I want it all.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 08:28 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1174/921409127_df9d430abd.jpg

boutons_deux
07-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Artest hasn't done shit since he was on of the best on both ends the season before he and Saint Stephen destroyed Indiana.

Like Shaq, his rep has far outlived his effectiveness.

SteelerNation
07-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Sure sounds like a bunch of nervous Spurs fans running around here. Hey...If I was in your shoes, I'd be nervous to. The Lakers would sweep the Spurs with the way the line ups are now. If the Spurs get a big man like Sheed or McDyess, than the Lakers win in 5. You Spurs fans cant be serious when thinking those relics are gonna put you over the top and past the Lakers.

peacemaker885
07-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Lakers defense, imo, improves with this signing. Offense would be the same if not better - Kobe will still have his shots. I think its Pau who will get less touches, which I think either he welcomes or is fine with him, being the nice guy that he is As we have seen Bynum's problems last playoffs, this gives the Lakers another scoring option.

rascal
07-03-2009, 08:38 AM
QUOTE=dc_spursfan;3518290]I will gladly take Blair and Jefferson over Ron Artest. I don't see LA beating a healthy Spurs without signing Odom. The Lakers now have no choice but to resign Odom because they can't use a MLE. Odom is the only player the spurs cant matchup with when on his game.
They have no expiring contracts worth trading for. The Spurs still need a center. However, that player does not need to be a all star and we have both a MLE and a exriring contracts.[/QUOTE]

Even if the spurs add Wallace theLakers still have the size advantage and edge. But Wallace would it closer between the two teams.

Artest is a beast that plays on both ends of the floor. He will nuetralize Jefferson. Gasol,Bynum and Odom still pose matchup problems for the spurs. Wallace would help but theres a great chance Orlando or the Celtics land Wallace and the spurs end up with their 4'th option.

The Lakers have a great front office.

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Sure sounds like a bunch of nervous Spurs fans running around here. Hey...If I was in your shoes, I'd be nervous to. The Lakers would sweep the Spurs with the way the line ups are now. If the Spurs get a big man like Sheed or McDyess, than the Lakers win in 5. You Spurs fans cant be serious when thinking those relics are gonna put you over the top and past the Lakers.

Your intoxication beffudles me my friend. :lol

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 08:39 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1174/921409127_df9d430abd.jpg
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

ambchang
07-03-2009, 08:40 AM
Can't way to see how Ron Artest's ball pounding ways would fit in the triangle.
He could behave if he was a clear #2 or 3, and with Kobe, that would be the case. But Ron Artest is one volatile, self-conflicting individual, you never know what is going to tick him off.

all_heart
07-03-2009, 08:45 AM
This is a big risk for LA. We're talking about Ron Artest, here. The dude is not stable. Throw him into that drama-filled environment with the LA media fishbowl, and anything can happen. You up the pressure on Artest and bad things have a tendency to happen.

Not to mention the fact that he isn't the defender he used to be and can be a huge chucker on a team where Kobe gets all the shots. And Kobe is a shitty teammate and domineering personality... this has all the potential of a gigantic trainwreck. Ariza is 6 years younger, doesn't demand the ball, and only getting better.

This is highly volatile. I don't understand why the Lakers take this gamble. It seems highly unnecessary when the Spurs can't keep Duncan and Ginobili healthy for the playoffs and they don't have any other real competition in the West.
'
+1 Thanks for saying the obvious. Artest loves to chuck the ball up.. and there's only one ball.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 08:47 AM
It is just a tad bit too early to think the sky is going to fall. As a spurs fan I realize we have done nothing but at talent and get younger, so we still have had the better off season. The Lakers, as of now, appear to be letting go of both Odom (someone will overpay for him, by overpay I mean 10 mil per) and Ariza. That is a gamble. Plus there is the injury thing still, the Lakers have been tempting fate, two runs to the Finals and Bynum is the only guy to miss real time.
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::f lag::flag:

K-State Spur
07-03-2009, 08:48 AM
at this stage of their careers - ariza is a better perimeter defender.

and while his offensive numbers are a bit pedestrian - that's EXACTLY what the Lakers need. he let the offense come to him and made the most of his opportunities.

they replaced him a lesser defender and a guy who shoots 40% from the floor and is used to taking 12-15 shots per game.

that's not to say that it couldn't work out splendidly for LA...but this is FAR from a slam dunk in their favor.

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 08:49 AM
You must be on Crack. You just let a young athlete who is a better shooter and defender, not to mention finisher on the break walk cause you did want to give him MLE. You replaced him with an ageing wanna be who never has been lune, who is slow for a wing, cant shoot, hogs the ball and goes off the reservation almost nightly.

Your team just got worse while we have added a lottery post guy in Blair who will punish your soft front line and a wing in RJ who with Manu will give you fits when they are on the floor together.

If the Spurs manage to grab a big...Wallace or Splitter I dont think anyone who is in their right mind would say SA is not the favorite.

Right on all fronts. It seems the ron artest kool aid is intoxicating the LA faker crowd. But we will sober them up soon and very soon.:ihit

rascal
07-03-2009, 08:51 AM
QUOTE=Texas 2 Step;3518322]Artest is so overrated. Did you not notice how he dominates the ball, is a piss poor shooter, turnover and foul prone and his speed is below avg for a wing player. Ariza was a better fit with more upside than Artest. Hes also gonna slow dow the Lakers fast break game as hes a half court player.[/QUOTE]

You homer fans are a joke. Many on this board said Gasol was not going to help the Lakers . You were part of the crowd that said Gasol was soft and was not going to help the Lakers.

Artest > Ariza

The spurs improved more with the additions of jefferson and Blair but they were not even close to the Lakers with their weak frontline and that is still an issue. Wallace would help but not even enough against a healthy Laker team and there is a good chance the spurs don't even get Wallace. He isn't the player he once was anymore and he is the spurs top choice. Thats how thin the spurs are.

HORNSWOGGLE
07-03-2009, 08:52 AM
bitchfit thread

qiuyizeng
07-03-2009, 08:52 AM
go and wait!

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Right on all fronts. It seems the ron artest kool aid is intoxicating the LA faker crowd. But we will sober them up soon and very soon.:ihit
If by sober up you mean Kobe's idea of date, and by date I mean rape, yeah we will do that to Lakers. Then we will apologize and the world will move on... in time.... but we won't trust them again.

benefactor
07-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Food for thought:

Kobe(lead player) attempted over 1700 shots in 82 games last season. Pau Gasol(lead player) attempted over 1000 in 81 games. On the other hand...Odom(significant role player) only attempted 700 shots in 78 games last season.

Ron Artest in the past three seasons...1040 in 70 games, 962 in 57 games and 1037 in 69 games.

Good luck LA.

exstatic
07-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Well, I was happy.

Homers like exstatic feared that he would go nuts like he did in Chicago, Indiana,, Sacto, and everywhere he stays for more than 1 season.

Fvck.

Artest and Bowen were both considered the best perimeter defenders two, maybe three years ago. At this point, they've both lost that lateral mobility. The Spurs were smart enough to recognize it. LA apparently wasn't.

I'll give you that he had a good season in Houston last year. He usually has that honeymoon season, or in the case of years when a team desperately dumps his psycho ass mid-season, a honeymoon half season. Then it comes apart.

The reason Houston advanced was that he has more balls that TMac. Unfortunately for LA, he has less brains than you.

P.S. How's that Payton for Parker looking about now? And what's Chris Whitney up to these days?

dc_spursfan
07-03-2009, 09:20 AM
QUOTE=dc_spursfan;3518290]I will gladly take Blair and Jefferson over Ron Artest. I don't see LA beating a healthy Spurs without signing Odom. The Lakers now have no choice but to resign Odom because they can't use a MLE. Odom is the only player the spurs cant matchup with when on his game.

Even if the spurs add Wallace theLakers still have the size advantage and edge. But Wallace would it closer between the two teams.

Artest is a beast that plays on both ends of the floor. He will nuetralize Jefferson. Gasol,Bynum and Odom still pose matchup problems for the spurs. Wallace would help but theres a great chance Orlando or the Celtics land Wallace and the spurs end up with their 4'th option.

The Lakers have a great front office.[/quote]

You are adding in Odom, which I already said gives LA advantage. If LA can't resign than our bench is much better than LA.
Also, Jefferson has a lot more speed an athleticism than Finley which is important.
If the Spurs are able to find a decent big man there really is not a sized advantage.

Parker 6'2 vs Fisher 6'1
Manu 6'6 vs Kobe 6'6
Jefferson 6'7 vs Artest 6'7
Duncan 7'0 vs Gasol 7'0
????? Between 6'10-7'0 vs Bynum 7'0

The advantage on truly comes in effect if LA resigns Odom

Hou vs Mil Jefferson 25pts 4rebs, 4 ast
Mil vs Hou 16pts 5rebs, 2ast

Sac vs Nj 36pts 9reb, 3ast
NJ vs Sac 18pts 4rebs

I would not calling this neutralizing.

scottspurs
07-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Bowen=Best perimeter defender even now.

romsho
07-03-2009, 09:27 AM
[QUOTE=Ghost Writer;3518158]Well, I was happy.

Did you watch much of the Rockets this year? What they thought they were getting was low post beast, defensive stopper Ron Artest...what they got was three point chucker, bad shot selection RonRon...and he wasn't near the defensive force he has been in years past, in fact not even the best defender on the team- that would be Shane Battier.

Does he really make the Lakers that much better on defense? I don't think so...offensively he has more to offer than Ariza, but there are only so many shots to go around. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The Lakers don't need any more stars, they need great role players who do their jobs well. That ain't exactly RonRon's style.

At best this is slightly better than a lateral move given the age differences, skill sets and what the Lakers will need out of that position. At worst, this has a chance to be a destructive poison pill and an introduction of a problem where one previously did not exist. This is not Garnett to the Celtics or Gasol to the Lakers...take a deep breath, relax and wait and see how the rest of this offseason plays out. Long way to go.

Taking it to the Hole
The difference is now we have a 270lb rookie that is hungry, motivated, and can rebound like a machine. Please don't tell me because he is only 6' 7" that he can't box out Gaosol's twiggy ass or even Bynum for that matter. The truth of the matter is that you Laker fans are the ones getting piss scared. Philip and Buss saw how much better the Spurs have made themselves with adding Jefferson, Blair, McClinton, and who the hell knows, maybe even Gist and Hairston. Now we have the youth and athleticism to compete with your overrated Laker team. If anything, you have made your team worse by signing Artest. Face it Laker fans, your team is running scared now because the Spurs have made all the right moves this offseason and it isn't over yet.

:flag:

Sii
Jesus Fucking Christ - the off season isnt even over and SA has already improved itself significantly while not being done...and Ghost is throwing in the towel on next season come July?

Do it already

http://www.rawfish.com.au/images/exteme-teens-extreme-sports-bridge-jumping1.JPG

21_Blessings
07-03-2009, 09:30 AM
270lb rookie that is hungry,

:lol very very very hungry. Like all the time.

Taking it to the Hole
07-03-2009, 09:34 AM
:lol very very very hungry. Like all the time.

If your team is up for dinner, I would tell him to have seconds!:lol

The_Game
07-03-2009, 09:36 AM
The difference is now we have a 270lb rookie that is hungry, motivated, and can rebound like a machine. Please don't tell me because he is only 6' 7" that he can't box out Gaosol's twiggy ass or even Bynum for that matter. The truth of the matter is that you Laker fans are the ones getting piss scared. Philip and Buss saw how much better the Spurs have made themselves with adding Jefferson, Blair, McClinton, and who the hell knows, maybe even Gist and Hairston. Now we have the youth and athleticism to compete with your overrated Laker team. If anything, you have made your team worse by signing Artest. Face it Laker fans, your team is running scared now because the Spurs have made all the right moves this offseason and it isn't over yet.

:lol:lol:lol

nobody is scared of the spurs...a rookie who didn't even get in the top 25 draft picks in the weakest draft in a long time? yeah teams should be really worried of him

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 09:36 AM
If your team is up for dinner, I would tell him to have seconds!:lol

With A player gasols size, maybe thirds.:lol

The_Game
07-03-2009, 09:38 AM
:rolleyes another worried Lakers fan...god you are still the most arrogant, idiotic fans in the NBA.

Sheed didn't play on the inside much last year and shot a bunch of 3's on a crappy Pistons team. Sorry to say but Gasol is the biggest bitch in the NBA, screaming like a little girl everytime someone makes a little contact with him on the block and of course getting the call.I thought Dirk was a bitch until I saw Gasol play on a consistent basis.:flag:

I'm only responsing to even more idiotic posts by many spurs fans on here...the only people who are acting arrogant are spurs fans making statements that gasol is soft, lakers got worse and lakers should be scared of the spurs

SERIOUSLY...THATS WHAT YOU CALL IDIOTIC

rjv
07-03-2009, 09:43 AM
i'm new to this forum so i will just assume that ghostwriter is the reigning hyperbole champion.

mytespurs
07-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Well, I was happy.

Fvck.

News flash...the Lakers were better than the Spurs or anyone else in the West at this point before they got Artest. Swapping basically Artest for Ariza didn't change things in that regards.

The Spurs need to worry about getting better to compete in the west with the Lakers & the rest of the West.

The Lakers signing Artest does not diminish anything the Spurs have done thus far which has been good or will do well in the future.

I, for one, was not handing the Spurs the title because they signed Jefferson or even if they sign Rasheed like so many have. If Manu & Duncan come back healthy and can play up to their levels, the Spurs will be in the mix....and anything can happen.

You can be ready to handy the 2010 crown to LA but remember there are no guarantees no matter how good it may look.

SpuronyourFace
07-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Shit, Im glad they got Artest and got rid of Ariza. He'll get in touble in L.A., go apeshit at some point. Artest has proven to not be a difference maker at any point in his career.

I like this move by the Lakers.

The_Game
07-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Gasol is softer than Charmin...go back to the NBA forum. The Lakers haven't got worse yet...they are still the same. The Spurs have got better and are closer to what the Lakers have now, but they still have to play the games. Anything can happen, I mean who saw the Magic going to the Finals this year?

that soft guy just helped lead his team to a title while your spurs got stomped in 5 games against the freaking mavs...you have no reason to be arrogant.

richard freaking jefferson isn't the answer to your problems.

mytespurs
07-03-2009, 09:49 AM
:lol:lol:lol

nobody is scared of the spurs...a rookie who didn't even get in the top 25 draft picks in the weakest draft in a long time? yeah teams should be really worried of him

Who said anyone is scared of the Spurs???!!!

You have the best team in the league and your team just won the championship. The Spurs got knocked out of the first round. No, the Spurs aren't better than your team and your team would beat the Spurs handily in the season and best of 7 playoff series. Feel better?

I don't get why you feel the need to belabor the obvious points over and over and over.........

And for the record, while the Spurs may not be all that, they're not exactly lottery material either. They won 50 games this year, they won their division-at least respect that.

Spurtacus
07-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Well, I was happy.

Fvck.

The Gist is offended by your tone.

K-State Spur
07-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Did you watch much of the Rockets this year? What they thought they were getting was low post beast, defensive stopper Ron Artest...what they got was three point chucker, bad shot selection RonRon...and he wasn't near the defensive force he has been in years past, in fact not even the best defender on the team- that would be Shane Battier.

Wasn't particularly close either. When the Rockets had to sit Battier and moved RonRon to Kobe, it had roughly the same effect as to when the Spurs sat Bruce and switched Udoka onto Kobe in 2008.

Marcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 11:07 AM
LMAO at Casper returning to true emo bitch form.

xellos88330
07-03-2009, 11:45 AM
So the Spurs go from Michael Finley to Richard Jefferson. The Lakers go from Trevor Ariza to Ron Artest. And the Lakers trump the Spurs? They're not even garuanteed of getting better, while the Spurs changed the entire dynamics of their team.

+1

Completely agree with this.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Lakers Swapping < Spurs Improving

hater
07-03-2009, 11:54 AM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

what a spineless pussy!!!

pathetic.

Johnson
07-03-2009, 11:58 AM
how does someone with the intellect of the OP (ie zero) have over 1 million posts?!

birdy219
07-03-2009, 12:01 PM
just another added ego to that team
looks like a recipe for disaster

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Who wears short shorts?
http://www.celticsblog.com/images/stories/articles/nonCs/lakers.jpg

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Who wears short shorts?
http://www.celticsblog.com/images/stories/articles/nonCs/lakers.jpg

:lmao

EricB
07-03-2009, 12:35 PM

If the Lakers re-sign Odom (as they most likely will) the Spurs have to get their decent Big (ie Sheed, Gortat). Otherwise, the Spurs still can't contend with the Laker Bigs.

STill gotta wait and see how it shakes out.

Glad your looking at it from such an objective point of view.

Mugen
07-03-2009, 12:38 PM
i do think its funny that laker fans were mostly quiet when we traded for RJ and drafted Blair but come out from under their rocks when they sign Ron Artest.

bandwagon at its best.

rayray2k8
07-03-2009, 12:44 PM
You came back for this shit??
Just go crawl back into the hole you came out of.
You think the season is already over before it even started. Some fan you are. :rolleyes

EmantheSpursFan
07-03-2009, 12:44 PM
wow it must suck to live in such a pessimistic life, to go and say we are good as done before the season starts is just coward...

In the words of Shaq your a master of Panic!

Spursmania
07-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Spurs aren't getting Wallace Rump, he's going to be Celtic. You know better.

Even then, Rasheed is a relic at this point in his career. He can't guard Bynum, Gasol in the post or stay with Odom on the perimeter.

lol Blair

Always nice to hear from the homer Laker fan:lol You scared?

z0sa
07-03-2009, 01:15 PM
nothing like getting "trumped" in the offseason.

I'll leave the "trumping" to the postseason of 2010.

Leetonidas
07-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Okay, first of all, Bynum is a fucking pussy bitch and he ain't ever going to amount to shit in the NBA. SEVERELY overrated by Laker fans, it's almost sickening. You would think his jersey said Abdul-Jabbar on the back of it the way people around him suck his dick. He fucking blows, he is soft, afraid to go out there and bang around and rebound, and he is bicurious on top of that (which really doesn't speak much for his game, but still, fuck him).

As for the Artest acquisition...it's the Lakers panicking to Ariza leaving and the Spurs/Cavs/Magic getting stronger. Odom staying there isn't even a guarantee, seeing as how we haven't heard shit about the Lakers offering him a contract or anything yet. He could bolt just like Ariza, and then what?

Optimistically for Laker fans, this is their outlook versus us:

Kobe - Ginobili
Parker - Fisher
Artest - Jefferson
Duncan - Gasol
Wallace/McDyess (assuming it happens) - Bynum

You better believe Wallace or McDyess will own Bynum's soft ass out there. Jefferson will probably have the duty of guarding Kobe, and Manu will be on Artest most likely (see Kings vs. Spurs 2006). Duncan and Gasol? Easy, chalk it up for Duncan there. And Parker...Tony Parker is better than any player the Lakers have besides Kobe.

And who do they have on their bench? Even if they keep Odom, they really only have one man off the bench. Farmar? Walton? VUJACIC? :lmao :lmao :lmao

Ultimately, Odom will play a big part in what happens. But, if he decides to leave, it will be an easier Spurs win than I originally thought. :toast

Trainwreck2100
07-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Well, I was happy.

Fvck.

word.......ooh ohhh eh eh

a cookie to anyone who gets that reference

LaMarcus Bryant
07-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Most overrated poster in spurstalk history.

DrHouse
07-03-2009, 01:25 PM
You do realize the Lakers won the 2009 NBA championship last season right? Because based on Spur fan's reaction it seems like it was the Lakers who got bounced in the 1st round a shitty Mavericks team and the Spurs that won it all.

I'm not going to worry about the Spurs until I see a major frontcourt piece there alongside Duncan, and no Rasheed Wallace is not that piece.

The game is won in the paint, not the perimeter. The Lakers showed the Magic that in the Finals.

Borosai
07-03-2009, 01:27 PM
If Artest plays his role (like Ariza did), his addition will be a positive for the Lakers. However, I expect him to do his own thing (taking really, REALLY bad shots), piss off Kobe, and start a locker room brawl.

spurspokesman
07-03-2009, 01:29 PM
If Artest plays his role (like Ariza did), his addition will be a positive for the Lakers. However, I expect him to do his own thing (taking really, REALLY bad shots), piss off Kobe, and start a locker room brawl.

I predicted that to my cousin who is a laker wagoneer:lol

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 01:33 PM
You do realize the Lakers won the 2009 NBA championship last season right? Because based on Spur fan's reaction it seems like it was the Lakers who got bounced in the 1st round a shitty Mavericks team and the Spurs that won it all.

I'm not going to worry about the Spurs until I see a major frontcourt piece there alongside Duncan, and no Rasheed Wallace is not that piece.

The game is won in the paint, not the perimeter. The Lakers showed the Magic that in the Finals.
Luis Scola agrees

Trainwreck2100
07-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Most overrated poster in spurstalk history.

2yPJ1wNqBb8

multiracial pbs 90s greatness

Trainwreck2100
07-03-2009, 01:49 PM
:lol

HAHA! I used to watch that crap in grade school. TERRIBLE!

How could you hate that show,they went around solving mysteries. They were scoobydoo with less white folks, no weed, and a more UN appeal

Sobe_Kucks
07-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Damn I was gettin hyped for the season but after reading this post I'm not going to watch any of the games since we're going to lose....

Please! That's why they play the games. Artest is a huge gamble and it could work out for the Lakers or maybe not. It is scary they have plenty of bigs to go around. It makes the Spurs need for a big man and their gift from the draft Gods (Blair) that much bigger deal. I'm an SA transplant living in Houston and plent to plenty of Rockets game (with my SPurs cap on of course). Artest is two players he's good Ron Ron and bad Ron Ron. Bad Ron Ron compares Lebron as a younger version of himself and jecks up 3's at the end of games and shoots them out of a victory. Good Ron Ron plays great D, adds intensity to softer players and makes more than he misses of those shots at the end of the game. There are pluses and minuses with the move but Phillip has a track record of dealing with crazy brain talent (Rodman). Lakerfan should be happy. That is a sick line-up on paper. Paper isn't chemistry though. We need to see them play. Their PG will be the point at which we will attack and if we can strike with a strong FA signing (i.e. Sheed/Dyess not some scrub) then we have a much better chance of taking them down.

Lakers are stacked, Spurs just might be too. I like it that way. Then there is no whining when the Silver and Black win the ring. No.. that Jefferson move was crap and collusion... etc. etc. Lakerfan is fully loaded and shouldn't have excuses. They got a strong FA who took less money for a ring (like hey usually do). We are set to try and win the cold war against the USSR now not again N.Korea. Which one would you rather conquer and plant ur flag on??? I hate the Lakers and their fans are annoying as hell. Mav/Suns fans are annoying like flys buzzing around a picnic. Lakerfan is annoying like "who the hell dropped a turd on my brand new rug!" So get ready to share in the rivalry full force. Can't stand them and they can't stand our small market team that continues to rise from the dead. I'm not goin to hold me head down because of this move. Does it make them better, I think so... do they have weaknesses... I think so. Once we get our team set via FA, BRING IT!!! We'll be ready with a new big man, new offensive punch in RJ, a hungry ass draft snubbed young beast in Blair, the top PG in the lead, El Contusion should be back, TD should be back and rested and it would be great to see Ninja Kicking Bowen back in SA. I like our chances...:flag:

Muser
07-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Laker fan in denial.

baseline bum
07-03-2009, 02:46 PM

It showed me he has horrible shot selection. Artest was awful in games 3-7. Not just overall in those 5 games, but in each of them also.

The_Game
07-03-2009, 02:51 PM

it really is quite funny I agree....having a healthly manu wouldn't of been enough to beat the mavs and they were not a good team...says it all really.

Spurs should be focused on getting a big who stays in the paint who can rebound and block shots not a guy who doesn't get away from the three point line.

Cheddz
07-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Remember that time when the Lakers got Malone and Payton and teamed them up with Snaq and Kobe? Remember how they trounced everyone and won it all because they were unstoppable? Man....that was awesome. They'll surely do the same thing now that Ron Artest is on their team. Who can beat Ron Artest?

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Remember that time when the Lakers got Malone and Payton and teamed them up with Snaq and Kobe? Remember how they trounced everyone and won it all because they were unstoppable? Man....that was awesome. They'll surely do the same thing now that Ron Artest is on their team. Who can beat Ron Artest?

I will give you a hint... his jersey number is "2!"

Cheddz
07-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I will give you a hint... his jersey number is "2!"

This guy?
http://www.creativecoversforgolf.com/refresh/data/210-coyote_230_070910.jpg

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 03:06 PM
:lolexactly!!

z0sa
07-03-2009, 03:17 PM

Fuck you're right, especially since they kept Trevor Ariza.

Yeah, it's pretty hopeless. Just like in '04, a well-balanced team playing great defense would be no match for LA now.

Cheddz
07-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Fuck you're right, especially since they kept Trevor Ariza.

Yeah, it's pretty hopeless. Just like in '04, a well-balanced team playing great defense would be no match for LA now.

I know, man...the rest of the league should mail it in like they did when the Lakers team of Snaq, Kobe, Malone and the Glove trounced the ranks of the NBA to become the greatest championship team ever...until next year when Kobe and Ron Artest make everyone look silly all year long. I'll be surprised if the Lakers lose three games next year as awesome as they look on paper today.

daslicer
07-03-2009, 05:10 PM
This move will either work for the lakers or it will blow up in their faces. I don't think there has ever been a middle ground with Ron Artest. I once told a friend of mine all the way back in '04 that Artest is the Mike Tyson of basketball that when he wants to be great he can be great but just like Mike his mental problems won't allow him to be great. Historically he always has a honeymoon period where he behaves the first year wherever he goes but its the second year where things fall apart. It might work out great this year for the lakers but next year for sure it will blow up in their faces. Some people like to compare him to Dennis Rodman but I think thats way off. The problem with Dennis was his partying lifestyle and his lack of respect for teamates. I don't ever recall Rodman punching fans, or getting in fights off the court, getting in brawls with teamates plus Rodman never need to take meds to stay under control like Artest has been told to before. Artest is clearly a mental nutcase the question is for the spurs sake when will he blow up will it happen this year or will it be next year. I do believe he will do something is just a question of when will it happen.

07-03-2009, 05:22 PM
the artest move is more likely to succeed than fail. while the spurs have upgraded more, they started out behind the lakers. spurs still need to pick up a bigman, preferably odom, and the lakers still need to resign odom. i was pretty sure the lakers could only resign either ariza or odom due to the team's ballooning contracts and all that occurred was the lakers giving ariza his money to artest.

i didn't expect ariza to recieve anything higher than $5 million but the lakers are pretty fucked when it comes to paying the luxury tax. they are at $82 million without odom and i do not know what they plan to do with shannon brown or at the point guard position. unless they resign odom to like a $2 million contract, the lakers will be paying well over $100 million with salaries and luxury tax combined.

Ace9
07-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Jeez, Lakers fans lighten up.

Swapping Ron Artest for Trevor Ariza is a good move now, in my opinion. I just think that Ariza would have flourished in LA's system. Developing him into a star was something I worried about when I thought of the Lakers. Now they have Artest, and I think he comes with as many negatives as positives, unlike say Richard Jefferson.

Stop bashing on the Spurs offseason like it was a pitiful one. You know you're fooling yourself if you believe the Spurs' improvements over this offseason are just on paper. The Spurs will come to play, and if the sign a competent big man than they are very serious contenders. Let's just deal with those facts. Some of you LA fans are throwing in the age card. Let's not forget that you got older with the Artest move and that Fisher is 34 years old. From the way you guys are talking it sounds like the Lakers are already next season's champs. We all know its hard to repeat championships and I doubt that this Lakers team will do it.

DeJuan Blair was the steal of the draft. This statement is echoed throughout many over the sports world, not just me, a lowly homer. :lol All Blair has to do, for now, is go out there and go get the ball. Rebound and play good defense. Facts show he is very good at doing just that. Best offensive rebounder, fourth overall in the nation. One of the best offensive rebounders to come out in the last 8-9 years. Face it. Blair is a rebounding beast. Which is exactly what we need. You can dig up things and hope for the worst; but from what I've seen and heard DeJuan is a determined, good character, hard working, 20 year old basketball player for an organization that is a near perfect fit for him. Now SteelersNation mustunderstand. Hines Ward has played at a high level with no ACL's. DeJuan Blair has earned his college accomplishments while playing with no ACL's. Its a very rare occurance and the Spurs are blessed that it has touched Blair. From Blair to McClinton to de Colo. The Spurs draft was one of the best, if not the best drafts of this year. Don't lie to yourself; this draft will have a positive impact on our team.

Richard Jefferson is a proven SF in his prime. The Spurs gave up mere spare parts and none of our Big 3 players to get him. I think even the most homeristic Lakers fans can agree that this was a good trade for San Antonio. Factor in the Spurs draft, Big 3, RJ, and our existing backups, team, and coaches and that is a very impressive team, or are the Lakers fans going to argue this fact? :lol

Man In Black
07-03-2009, 08:07 PM
They like talking out of their own asses.

GW, like in everything else that he does...is PREMATURE.

Look, you can tell me that Rasheed shoots 40% or that DeJuan Blair was pick #37 or that Richard Jefferson is overpaid or that Ron Artest is completely mental...however I wish you guys would give us more than that.

Questions abound for BOTH teams. I mean really, you guys really think that it's a FOREGONE conclusion that the Lakers are going to repeat?

Fuck GHOST. That guy is more mental than Michael Jackson was and it wouldn't surprise me if he lost his genitals in a gerbil fest.

Andrew Bynum is what exactly? A dominant big who perennially makes ALL-NBA D Teams? NO! More like an injury prone big who shows flashes of brilliance countered by his penchant for haphazard defense and mental lapses galore.

Ron Artest has accomplished what lately? Really, Has a DPOY but that was 5 years ago, and any number of peeps could've won it including Bowen and Duncan, but since Carlisle shilled like a carny worker at the county fair, Ron-ron won out. Since then, the Lakers have had a hard on for the guy. If this is their response to being called a "soft" team, well guess what now...you're stupid HARD. There are many who will tell you that even though he as 2nd team All-NBA D last season, like Shane Battier, he was actually the WEAKER of the 2 defenders.

Rasheed Wallace is what exactly? A talented Big Man, there is a reason why there have been as much as 6 teams(Including the Lakers) who have expressed interest in him. So if Mitch thinks he is worth it then doesn't that counter the LAL Fans assertion that Rasheed sucks? What he has is familiarity with the offense, a low turnover rate, he's good for 7 boards, 1 block, 1 steal, and has the length that Pop couldn't utilize with the likes of Oberto or Bonner or Thomas or Gooden.

DeJuan Blair, for all intents and purposes, should've gone lottery. You say #37, Spursfans say "Steal Of The Draft". But you know what, not only Spurs Fan but many publications and analysts as well. NBA history is littered with failed drafts. Suckmywokandi was a #1 overall, on his best day, he couldn't replicate the effort that Blair has shown these past 4 years. It's not a small feat to be considered the best college offensive rebounder in the last 10
years.

It's like anything else you biatches say. If these players wore Forum Blue & Gold, you'd slob their knobs just like GW and for you So Cal Locals, Vic The Brick. I can imagine you guys saying,"Feeling You!"

Given that you guys got Luke Walton, if you had a choice, would you rather keep Luke or have Richard Jefferson? Answer the question honestly.
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/112/l_3c622cf3e926bed53763fc60e446758a.jpg

Should Manu & Tim come back healthy(Reports say they're on track, it's game on. Some So-called Spurs fans seem to have forgotten that.

symple19
07-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Well, I was happy.

Fvck.
yeah, the rockets/lakes series did show me something.That Ronny takes bad shots and disappears at the worst times. He also had some ill-timed technical fouls that didn't help his team in any way. I watched every game of that series and found myself yelling at him instead of the lakers quite often(of course I was pulling for the rockets). I don't think there's any coincidence that every single team he's been on went on to lose in the playoffs, if they made the playoffs at all. Shane Battier was a more effective defender on Kobe in my opinion. I'm glad the lakes did this, because Ariza was a better fit overall. Ariza didn't take that many shots away from kobe/gasol/odom, but ron-ron certainly will. Throw in the combustible and often ridiculous personality and the lakes have a definite net loss. Also, this guy is going to be running lose in LA LA land for much of the season. I'll set the over/under for an off-court incident at 35 games.

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag:
"Let's get back to playing championship, soul-crushing defense"

Sean Cagney
07-03-2009, 11:41 PM
yeah, the rockets/lakes series did show me something.That Ronny takes bad shots and disappears at the worst times. He also had some ill-timed technical fouls that didn't help his team in any way. I watched every game of that series and found myself yelling at him instead of the lakers quite often(of course I was pulling for the rockets). I don't think there's any coincidence that every single team he's been on went on to lose in the playoffs, if they made the playoffs at all. Shane Battier was a more effective defender on Kobe in my opinion. I'm glad the lakes did this, because Ariza was a better fit overall. Ariza didn't take that many shots away from kobe/gasol/odom, but ron-ron certainly will. Throw in the combustible and often ridiculous personality and the lakes have a definite net loss. Also, this guy is going to be running lose in LA LA land for much of the season. I'll set the over/under for an off-court incident at 35 games.

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::flag:
"Let's get back to playing championship, soul-crushing defense"
He takes some of the worst shots I Have seen! I watched that series in full and told my friends that too at the time, he thinks he is Ray Allen or some shyt sometimes with those shots.

I hope he does this in LA too and gets Kobe mad and they implode :rollin:rollin. Ron might be a good teammate at times and a talent, but seriously he does take some of the dumbest shots I have seen at times.

What killed LA was they were unable to guard Aaron Brooks out there, they still have not solved that ability to stop the small fast guards and we have one in Tony and people forget that.

jag
07-04-2009, 12:12 AM
it really is quite funny I agree....having a healthly manu wouldn't of been enough to beat the mavs and they were not a good team...says it all really.

I found this humorous.

LaMarcus Bryant
07-04-2009, 12:59 AM
please, spurstalkers, look beyond the ostensible nature of this post and take it to heart:

most overrated poster in spurstalk history

DAF86
07-04-2009, 01:25 AM
I'll bet my life on Artest sucking for the Lakers.

lefty
07-04-2009, 01:27 AM
And yet the Pistons destroyed them in 5 games in the FInals

z0sa
07-04-2009, 01:40 AM
This is one of the most embarrassing threads SpursTalk has ever fielded.

We JUST picked up RJ, for fucks sake.

IcemanCometh
07-04-2009, 02:00 AM
Ghostwriter, still an idiot

Trainwreck2100
07-04-2009, 02:28 AM
Given that you guys got Luke Walton, if you had a choice, would you rather keep Luke or have Richard Jefferson? Answer the question honestly.
http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/112/l_3c622cf3e926bed53763fc60e446758a.jpg

I feel bad for the little guy, they probably raped him

Trainwreck2100
07-04-2009, 02:29 AM
on a game of 21

angelbelow
07-04-2009, 02:34 AM
lol what a fucking pussy. dont change tho, we need people who give up easily for guys like me to succeed.

phxspurfan
07-04-2009, 03:00 AM
Who will guard Kobe now? That worries me more than anything about Laker Defense or Offense. We have no one to guard guys like Kobe or LeBron.

TheSpursFNRule
07-04-2009, 04:31 AM
wait a minute that guy has 1 fucking million posts. never trust anyone who has that much to say.

21_Blessings
07-04-2009, 08:02 AM
I like talking out of my own ass.

And what has San Antonio accomplished lately? Oh that's right. First round exit to the worst Dallas team in years despite having HCA. :lol

The window was closed, Jefferson might have creaked it open a bit but then Artest just slammed it shut once and for all.

Good night, SA. :flag:

dbestpro
07-04-2009, 08:29 AM
And what has San Antonio accomplished lately? Oh that's right. First round exit to the worst Dallas team in years despite having HCA. :lol

The window was closed, Jefferson might have creaked it open a bit but then Artest just slammed it shut once and for all.

The sign of fear is when you talk bad about your opponent rather than good about yourself. It is not about LA, it is about SA. Health means wealth for SA. If we are healthy we win and LA fan knows it. This is why they choose to bash the Spurs because they are afraid. They are very afraid.

mystargtr34
07-04-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm only going to make one post, since as I said in the other thread, I can't be in a thread with Laker fans for too long, they disgust me as human beings..

It seems like only casual NBA fans are worried, because they see the name "Ron Artest"..it's a Home Run or Strikeout move..personally, I love it..the Lakers were the defending champs and would be favored either way, but they take a risk by adding a guy that has problems fitting in with teams due to his horrible style and mentality..

here's some points about this thread..

-I don't know why anybody is shitting on Capt. Bringdown or the Ghost dude..he's entitled to his opinion..he always plays his gimmick very well, as you see in every thread..everybody is entitled to their opinion, so who gives a fuck?..

For Mr.Bringdown though..the Lakers always have an advantage over the rest of the NBA, so it's much easier for them to re-build or get better..they're the #1 free agent destination in the NBA, which has shown throughout time, since that has been the main reason they've had such a successful run..it also took them 6 years to win another title, and a panic move from Mr.Stern after Kobe asked for a trade..

-We aren't far behind if we get 'Sheed or 'Dice and add another important piece on the bench..LA is stacked with their starting lineup, but their bench is pretty weak..our bench has a number of potential guys, so we have a lot of room to grow..we must acquire a legit starting big man first though, and the matchups will be fine IMO..

We have nobody to guard Kobe, but incase everybody hasn't noticed, Tony Parker has grown into a superstar..as bad as our matchup against Kobe could be, their matchup of Fisher guarding Parker is even worse..the rest of the matchups really aren't that bad, I feel very comfortable with them, assuming we get either 'Sheed or 'Dice..

-Artest is no longer consistently a good defender, he's above average in general..anybody that watched the Rockets this year would have seen that, and I've noticed that most Rockets fans share the same thoughts as I do..he was routinely torched by most perimeter players, forcing Battier to play them..as Artest's offense has improved and as his age has went up, he's gotten worse defensively..he's a guy that was significantly helped by the handchecking until it was outlawed in 2005..

The Rockets were #2 and #3 defensively in the 2 years prior to Artest..they were 4th this year..so not a drop-off, but they clearly didn't get better defensively, which is what people expected with such an "elite" 2-man defense..

it's different in LA..Artest will have another year of slowing down, and Kobe is nowhere near Battier defensively..Kobe gets voted in on the all-defensive team every year, but hasn't shown that he can play consistent defense in years..add in Fisher's horrible perimeter D, and nothing will change..

-the Lakers had an extremely easy road to the Finals last year, similar to the Spurs run in 2007..they faced a Utah team that was riddled with injuries and chemistry issues, and missed Okur for half the series..Houston team without Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady, and Dikembe Mutombo, forcing them to rely on Ron Artest and Aaron Brooks for scoring, and relying on 3 big men that are under 6'9..a Nuggets team with arguably the worst IQ for a WCF team ever, that lost 2 games in the series off the same exact inbound play involving the exact same players..and an inexperienced Orlando team that was basically missing it's All-Star PG due to injury..

while they clearly deserved their title because they were the best team last year, this year is going to be much tougher..Spurs got better and potentially healthy, Boston is potentially healthy and will add another piece, Cleveland added Shaq and potentially another piece, and Orlando still has plenty of time..Denver still has time to make a move, and Portland probably will too..it's going to be a much tougher year..

-Artest is mostly an offensive player nowadays, despite the reputation..any offense that takes away from Kobe or Gasol is fine by me, especially from an inefficient chucker..it also takes away from the growing Bynum, and as we've seen, Bynum doesn't play defense or rebound unless he gets the ball a certain amount of times..

-Ariza is a guy that causes problem with his athleticism and length..that's part of the reason LA was great last year..their quickness and length..Artest is slow and mechanical, which helps our style of play..

so that's my reasoning..agree or disagree if you want, it doesn't really matter to me..Spurs have to continue the same process to improve our team like we need to, and ignore this move..

I don't understand Laker fans though..why are they such scumbags?..

They cheer for an alleged rapist that throws teammates under the bus and snitches on his teammates..they buy his merchandise, and make their kids wear it..they buy tickets to see him..

They cheer for an adulterer with HIV..

Now they're embracing the addition of a guy that beats innocent women, and abuses cute, innocent animals..

What the fuck is wrong with these people?..I like posting on the Spurs side of this forum and I try avoiding the NBA forum as much as possible, so it would be nice if these Laker fans weren't allowed on this side..they're probably going to give my CPU a virus, being the dirtbags that they are..

Wearing a Lakers jersey is the same thing as wearing the Nazi Stastika..you're idolizing the same type of people..

Not sure about the Nazi stuff :lol but i agree with 99% of your post.

MarHill
07-04-2009, 10:39 AM

Again, people like 21 Blessings never speak in full context of the situation. He only spins to his Purple-n-Gold worldview!

The Spurs lost in the 1st round for first time in 9 years. (You seem to forget that fact) The Spurs played without Manu and TD one leg. I don't care who you are....if you don't have all your bullets you are not going to win.

Even if the Lakers had Kobe and Gasol on one leg....they wouldn't have the beat Mavericks.

Also, the Lakers had their own down period from 2005-2007 and Kobe was begging to leave LA. Then the FO made a trade for Gasol and your team is relevant again.

It happens to all good teams.....nobody wins every year.

The Spurs have decided to address their situation by trading for a small good SF and are still agressive to getting another big.

Remember....it had seven years since the Lakers won it all and only 2 years for the Spurs. And their down 2 years result in avg of 55 wins, a division title, WCF and first round playoff exits......

So before considering slamming the door shut on the Spurs...please use their entire context of the situation when you are taking a dig at the Spurs!!

:toast

Spursmania
07-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Again, people like 21 Blessings never speak in full context of the situation. He only spins to his Purple-n-Gold worldview!

The Spurs lost in the 1st round for first time in 9 years. (You seem to forget that fact) The Spurs played without Manu and TD one leg. I don't care who you are....if you don't have all your bullets you are not going to win.

Even if the Lakers had Kobe and Gasol on one leg....they wouldn't have the beat Mavericks.

Also, the Lakers had their own down period from 2005-2007 and Kobe was begging to leave LA. Then the FO made a trade for Gasol and your team is relevant again.

The Spurs have decided to address their situation by trading for a small good SF and are still agressive to getting another big.

Remember....it had seven years since the Lakers won it all and only 2 years for the Spurs. And their down 2 years result in avg of 55 wins, a division title, WCF and first round playoff exits......

So before considering slamming the door shut on the Spurs...please use their entire context of the situation when you are taking a dig at the Spurs!!

Furthermore, Posters like 21 Blessings are never taken seriously. :toast

Medvedenko
07-04-2009, 01:22 PM
If the Spurs can stay healthy and pick up a decent big I say they are even with the Lakers. However, if and and a big if is Bynum. He will be the difference maker out there in my opinion. People are sleeping on him considering he came back from injury into the playoffs only to be treated like a rookie out there. He'll have more time this year to develop as we'll have another (Ron) shot creator out there with the second unit if need be. Still, the spurs got better and being that I've been on this board for 5 years, I kind of had a soft spot for the spurs. It's good for the league when they're doing well.

completely deck
07-04-2009, 01:30 PM
You really think Ron Artest will be "second unit"? Please. His ego couldn't handle that.

kbrury
07-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't think Artest would mind coming off the bench as long as he got enough minutes.

TheManFromAcme
07-04-2009, 01:37 PM

I hear ya MarHill. Not all Laker fans are closing the door on the Spurs.
I still felt this last season that playing the Spurs with a totally healthy roster was still the ultimate guage for us and still do to this moment. Manu, Tim and Tony and now with the addition of RJ and possibly a "big" should (going to have to definitey bring a average to above-average guy) bring you back to that level. I still have you guys above the Blazers. Our losses to them are all mental. I don't buy the mis-match arguments. Look at Orlando. They beat us during the regular season and they lose in the finals.

Going to be a hell of a season. Like I mentioned before; Many have Manu as now officially injury prone. My belief is that if he is, he's going for his last moment of glory and give it his all no matter what the consequences are.

We shall see. Lakers-Spurs WCF 2010. Book it.

xtremesteven33
07-04-2009, 01:45 PM
Fisher
Bryant
Artest
Gasol
Bynum

Parker
Ginobili
Jefferson
Duncan
Wallace

looks like a wash IMO

Medvedenko
07-04-2009, 01:49 PM
You really think Ron Artest will be "second unit"? Please. His ego couldn't handle that.

I do think Ron will start, but will anchor the second unit with Odom when Kobe and Pau go to the bench. That's where he'll get his minutes as the go to guy. The Lakers kind of struggled and had to keep Pau or Kobe in at all times due to the lack of offensive punch. Odom and Ron will help. Oh and I would not count the spurs out by any stretch. Too much TD, and my boy Manu to count them out.

DrHouse
07-04-2009, 03:03 PM
The difference between the Spurs and the Lakers is that the Laker core is all in their prime right now. They just won a championship as well, let's not forget that. They were not the team that lost in the 1st round to Dallas despite having HCA. That was the Spurs, that loss IMHO shows just how far SA has dropped in a few short seasons.

The Spurs have two aging stars who are definitely on the downhill of their respective careers, especially in terms of health. Can the Spurs withstand a brutal regular season and draining post season? Given their track record these past two seasons I think that is a legitimate question to ask.

Muser
07-04-2009, 03:11 PM
The difference between the Spurs and the Lakers is that the Laker core is all in their prime right now. They just won a championship as well, let's not forget that. They were not the team that lost in the 1st round to Dallas despite having HCA. That was the Spurs, that loss IMHO shows just how far SA has dropped in a few short seasons.

The Spurs have two aging stars who are definitely on the downhill of their respective careers, especially in terms of health. Can the Spurs withstand a brutal regular season and draining post season? Given their track record these past two seasons I think that is a legitimate question to ask.

:deadhorse

Mugen
07-04-2009, 03:14 PM

more never before heard insight from dr. faggot.

z0sa
07-04-2009, 03:14 PM
:deadhorse

that manu block on wade was sick. Mason (pre-PG try to do too much thanks Pop) nailing that shot effortlessly was icing on the cake.

Muser
07-04-2009, 03:15 PM
that manu block on wade was sick. Mason (pre-PG try to do too much thanks Pop) nailing that shot effortlessly was icing on the cake.

Yeah man, I put it up to show people that he's still a beast :toast.

NewJerSpur
07-04-2009, 03:55 PM

:tu

Agree with everything here....only problem is I heard from special sources that the league might allow the Lakers to trade a couple of autographed Jersey's from past players to the Nets for Harris. Take it for what it's worth.

TD4THREE
07-04-2009, 04:27 PM
The difference between the Spurs and the Lakers is that the Laker core is all in their prime right now.

The Spurs have two aging stars who are definitely on the downhill of their respective careers, especially in terms of health. Can the Spurs withstand a brutal regular season and draining post season? Given their track record these past two seasons I think that is a legitimate question to ask.So Manu is old and washed up at 32, yet Bryant who's 31 is in the prime of his career?:rolleyes Of course Laker fans would love to believe that Tim and Manu are done,but I'll believe it when I see it on the court.

z0sa
07-04-2009, 05:26 PM
So Manu is old and washed up at 32, yet Bryant who's 31 is in the prime of his career?:rolleyes Of course Laker fans would love to believe that Tim and Manu are done,but I'll believe it when I see it on the court.

Yeah i guess he never heard of Magic coming back to play in '92 (or '96 for that matter) or Kareem playing til he was 52 or so at a high level. Not surprising a Lakerfan wouldn't know his team's history.

DrHouse
07-04-2009, 05:43 PM
So Manu is old and washed up at 32, yet Bryant who's 31 is in the prime of his career?:rolleyes Of course Laker fans would love to believe that Tim and Manu are done,but I'll believe it when I see it on the court.

Manu does not have the body that Kobe has. He hasn't shown any ability to stay healthy these past two seasons while Kobe has played just about every game. You can't compare the two.

And Duncan's remaining athleticism is dwindling. He's no longer the intimidating presence he once was defensively and he can't carry the load on offense as he gets noticeably tired at the end of games when he has to do too much.

I can't name any Laker core player that suffers from any of these problems. They are all in their primes and in peak athletic condition. That's the difference, look at the facts and you'll see that you are wrong and I am right.

z0sa
07-04-2009, 05:47 PM
"That's the difference, look at the facts and you'll see that you are wrong and I am right"

even when you accidentally say something that's factual, everyone ignores it.

Spurs_210
07-04-2009, 05:48 PM

Either your really ignorant or have no idea what your talking about. When the Spurs went to WCF they could very have beaten the Lakers had Manu not got injured or a call get blown. Not to long ago Lakers where no threat and Kobe was begging for a trade. Maybe you don't remember since you hadn't yet to board the bandwagon. Sure the Lakers made an upgrade but not where they need it. The PG position is still a big weakness and where they need an upgrade. Spurs on the other hand fix one major problem and soon will fix another. Now the teams are more at an equal level and we can expect more games like the first meeting this year which will definitely be fun to watch.

EmantheSpursFan
07-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Manu does not have the body that Kobe has. He hasn't shown any ability to stay healthy these past two seasons while Kobe has played just about every game. You can't compare the two.

And Duncan's remaining athleticism is dwindling. He's no longer the intimidating presence he once was defensively and he can't carry the load on offense as he gets noticeably tired at the end of games when he has to do too much.

I can't name any Laker core player that suffers from any of these problems. They are all in their primes and in peak athletic condition. That's the difference, look at the facts and you'll see that you are wrong and I am right.

Thanks for jinxing the lakers :toast

cant wait to see kobe go down with bad ankles and D fish randomly exploding while inbounding a ball! :wow

Spurs_210
07-04-2009, 06:13 PM

Weren't you complaining during the Nuggets series about Fisher being to old? Your comparing the bodies of Manu and Kobe? When its really their game that is the difference. Kobe is a jump shooter so naturally he will not get hurt as often compared to someone who's game is to attack the rim.

DrHouse
07-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Weren't you complaining during the Nuggets series about Fisher being to old? Your comparing the bodies of Manu and Kobe? When its really their game that is the difference. Kobe is a jump shooter so naturally he will not get hurt as often compared to someone who's game is to attack the rim.

Which only further proves my point. Manu's style of play will make it much more likely that he injures himself at some point in the season.

Of course either team could suffer a major injury, but the Spurs are much more likely too because of the age and health of their players.

And finally the Spurs were never on LA's level this past season or the one before it. They never were. And it's going to take more than RJ for them to get there, they need another major piece in the frontcourt alongside Duncan.

Spurs_210
07-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Which only further proves my point. Manu's style of play will make it much more likely that he injures himself at some point in the season.

Of course either team could suffer a major injury, but the Spurs are much more likely too because of the age and health of their players.

And finally the Spurs were never on LA's level this past season or the one before it. They never were. And it's going to take more than RJ for them to get there, they need another major piece in the frontcourt alongside Duncan.

Ignorance is bliss... Did you not watch that series? Had Manu not got injured or the blown call that shift momentum to the Lakers. It could have gone either way.

TD4THREE
07-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Manu does not have the body that Kobe has. He hasn't shown any ability to stay healthy these past two seasons while Kobe has played just about every game.That's nice,but my argument wasn't about Manu's abilty to stay healthy. It was about Manu still being an effective player if he can stay on the court. Which is a question mark, but no player is guaranteed to make it through a season, I could sit here and bring up Bynum's injury issues and say there's a good chance he'll blow out his knee again next season, doesn't make it a fact.

he can't carry the load on offense We'll then it's a good thing that he won't have to.

nil.ball
07-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Is Oderm even signed yet? Lets not start to be too perssimistic.

MarHill
07-04-2009, 11:03 PM

DrHouse,

Heres the point...that a lot of Lakers fans and even some of Spurs fans forget. The last 2 down years for the Spurs they averaged 55 wins. (56wins in 2007-2008; 54 wins in 2008-2009), also they tied for the division title in 2007-2008 which they lost the tiebreaker to the Hornets and 2008-2009 won the division. BTW, it is considered the toughest division in the league.

And during those two seasons....the Spurs had the 2nd or 3rd best record in the Western Conference for most of those seasons. I could see if the Spurs had drop to 45-50 wins and barely got into the playoffs or missed the playoffs. Then I would say the Spurs' time had clearly passed.

Also, TD's game has never been made on pure athleticism alone. Yes, his knees are concern but he showed in game 5 against the Mavs (even though they loss the series) he still has game.

The Spurs FO tried to ride out 2007 championship team until 2010 and stayed status quo for the past two seasons and didn't bring in any young athletic players around the Big 3. Well, after two tough playoff losses...the FO has responded to the challenge by getting RJ (filling a weakness at SF) and will get a big in FA (either Wallace or McDyess or someone else) and got a steal in the draft with Blair at #37.

Even though...some of Spurs fans had felt very disappointed because of the playoff loss. But no team is guarantee to win it every year. And sometimes fans of all good teams forget that!!

The Lakers had their down period after Shaq left in 2004. For the three seasons, Kobe didn't have the right talent around until last year when they traded for Gasol. He even wanted to leave LA and be traded to Chicago or NY.

My point....superstars need the right pieces around them in order to win a championship and everybody has to be healthy as well.

Lastly, I always thought it would take Manu a full season to come back from an injury like his. Considering...he didn't have to have surgery this off-season. I believe he will be healthy and ready to go next season.

The Spurs have adjusted just like the Lakers to remain competitve in the tough western conference.

And if the Spurs remain healthy....I believe they will have a legitimate shot to win it all!!

Just like the Lakers and Celtics.

But....please don't automatically assume the door is shut on the Spurs because of the last two post seasons. Remember it has seven years since the Lakers won their championship!!

Every team goes through ups and downs and the question is what do you do to respond?

The Spurs have decided to respond like the Lakers did in 2008. And I'm looking forward to both teams being healthy next season and get after each other to see who is the best in the West!!

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-04-2009, 11:56 PM

I seriously hope that you dont consider Bynum and Fisher to be "core players" because Fishers athleticism and overall ability to score the ball is dwindling... and as for Bynum he hasnt shown the ability to stay healthy HIS WHOLE CAREER!

SteelerNation
07-04-2009, 11:58 PM
I hope Spurs fans dont think Bonner is better than Bynum because the way it looks that is who the Spurs will be stuck with at center when the season opens.

WildcardManu
07-05-2009, 12:06 AM
I hope Spurs fans dont think Bonner is better than Bynum because the way it looks that is who the Spurs will be stuck with at center when the season opens.

:lol bynum

kbrury
07-05-2009, 12:07 AM
I hope Spurs fans dont think Bonner is better than Bynum because the way it looks that is who the Spurs will be stuck with at center when the season opens.Especially since the signing period hasn't even started yet.

carrao45
07-05-2009, 12:19 AM

If PJax can handle Dennis Rodman then he can handle Ron Artest

NewJerSpur
07-05-2009, 12:23 AM

Phil is older now and doesn't have a strong-minded supporting cast on the court to back him.

carrao45
07-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Phil is older now and doesn't have a strong-minded supporting cast on the court to back him.

Fisher, he is strong minded. And Kobe is as well, plus Ron had a lot of respect for Kobe.

Strike
07-05-2009, 12:29 AM
:tu

Agree with everything here....only problem is I heard from special sources that the league might allow the Lakers to trade a couple of autographed Jersey's from past players to the Nets for Harris. Take it for what it's worth.

What? Surely you can't be serious! No way the Lakers would be forced to give up THAT much!!! That just wouldn't be fair!!!

Strike
07-05-2009, 12:30 AM

I'm sure Rodman playing with Michael Jordan had nothing to do with that. And, let's face it. Kobe is not Jordan.

carrao45
07-05-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm sure Rodman playing with Michael Jordan had nothing to do with that. And, let's face it. Kobe is not Jordan.

PJ, Artest, and Rodman discussion turned into a Kobe/MJ comparison in just two posts. some kind of record IMO

NewJerSpur
07-05-2009, 12:33 AM
What? Surely you can't be serious! No way the Lakers would be forced to give up THAT much!!! That just wouldn't be fair!!!

Yeah that is a lot, but in this economy the NBA is willing to work with teams to make dreams come true.

Shastafarian
07-05-2009, 12:34 AM

Ron Artest isn't Dennis Rodman. Rodman was crazy yes, but he was controlled crazy. He knew what he was doing and didn't really care what other people thought. Ron is just plain batshit crazy. He's not in control. No one can control him. It's just luck that he hasn't done something completely nuts in the past year. Oh he snuck into the Lakers locker room and snuck up on Kobe in the shower? My mistake.

NewJerSpur
07-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Fisher, he is strong minded. And Kobe is as well, plus Ron had a lot of respect for Kobe.

That's my point, only two vets and one of which tends to letirally get physical when flexing his figurative muscle.

Strike
07-05-2009, 12:35 AM
PJ, Artest, and Rodman discussion turned into a Kobe/MJ comparison in just two posts. some kind of record IMO

Touched a nerve, did I?

carrao45
07-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Touched a nerve, did I?

Not really, I appreciate Kobe's game, as well as MJ's. I dont feel the need to compare the two, and i dont know why you do

SouthTexasRancher
07-05-2009, 12:42 AM
Well, I was happy.

Fvck.

What a stupid idiot. Why don't you just stick your head in the commode and keep flushing till things get better. After all you are a ghost. Can't hurt!!!

Spurs_210
07-05-2009, 12:42 AM

I hope Lakers fans don't think Fisher is anywhere near Parker's level cause he's not...

Strike
07-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Not really, I appreciate Kobe's game, as well as MJ's. I dont feel the need to compare the two, and i dont know why you do

Neither do I. Actually, Kobe Bryant is my favorite NBA player not named Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili Or Tony Parker. I have all kinds of respect for Kobe, despite the fact that I'm a die-hard Spurs fan. But to say that Phil Jackson was the only reason for Rodman's stability (if you can put the words "Rodman" and "stability in the same sentence) gives a bit too much credit to Phil and not enough to playing alongside #23, in my opinion. And also, in my opinion, I don't think Kobe compares to Jordan mentally. If Artest makes the Lakers better and he doesn't do something comparable to a mental meltdown, good for him and the Lakers. I just don't see it happening just because Phil Jackson is the coach.

carrao45
07-05-2009, 12:50 AM
I hope Lakers don't think Fisher is anywhere near Parker's level cause he's not...

I hope Spur fans dont think Manu is anywhere near Kobe cause he's not...
I hope Spur fans dont think Manu can stay healthy cause he cant...
I hope Spur fans dont think RJ will be as good cause he wont be...
I hope Spur fans dont think anyone on their team can guard Odom cause they cant...
I hope Spur fans dont think Pop is as good as PJ cause he's not...

carrao45
07-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Neither do I. Actually, Kobe Bryant is my favorite NBA player not named Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili Or Tony Parker. I have all kinds of respect for Kobe, despite the fact that I'm a die-hard Spurs fan. But to say that Phil Jackson was the only reason for Rodman's stability (if you can put the words "Rodman" and "stability in the same sentence) gives a bit too much credit to Phil and not enough to playing alongside #23, in my opinion. And also, in my opinion, I don't think Kobe compares to Jordan mentally. If Artest makes the Lakers better and he doesn't do something comparable to a mental meltdown, good for him and the Lakers. I just don't see it happening just because Phil Jackson is the coach.

I think Kobe does compare to Jordan mentelly, but even if he doesnt, Artest he a ton of respect for Kobe, and will listen to him, and PJ

Strike
07-05-2009, 12:57 AM
I think Kobe does compare to Jordan mentelly, but even if he doesnt, Artest he a ton of respect for Kobe, and will listen to him, and PJ

We'll see if that supposed respect carries over now that they're teammates and not opponents. Either way, good luck to the Spurs AND the Lakers in the 09-10 season. I love seeing them meet in the playoffs even though the Lakers come out on top more often than not.

carrao45
07-05-2009, 12:59 AM
We'll see if that supposed respect carries over now that they're teammates and not opponents. Either way, good luck to the Spurs AND the Lakers in the 09-10 series. I love seeing them meet in the playoffs even though the Lakers come out on top more often than not.

It would suck to be a fan of a different team in the West. Because everyone knows its gonna be the Lakers or the Spurs in the Finals

Strike
07-05-2009, 01:00 AM
It would suck to be a fan of a different team in the West. Because everyone knows its gonna be the Lakers or the Spurs in the Finals

See: TLongII :lmao

NewJerSpur
07-05-2009, 01:04 AM
I hope Spur fans dont think anyone on their team can guard Odom cause they cant...

1) Manu doens't need to be Kobe for the Spurs to win, he needs to be Manu.
2) Remains to be seen.
3) He's going to help the offense, get the Spurs in the penalty earlier, and take pressure off of the Big 3 to provide opportunities for and produce points.
4) Wait for Odom to re-sign and prove he can consitently play motivated beyond his contratc year then we'll talk.
5) If the Spurs win it all, it won't matter.

Spurs_210
07-05-2009, 01:07 AM

I hope Laker fans don't think Gasol is as good as Duncan cause he's not
I hope Laker fans don't think Artest is as good as RJ cause he's not
I hope Laker fans don't think Odom is consistent enough to be consider a factor cause he's not
I hope Laker fans don't think Bynum will stay healthy long enough to be a top center cause he won't

carrao45
07-05-2009, 01:07 AM
See: TLongII :lmao

:lmao TLongII
:lmao Mavs Fans

carrao45
07-05-2009, 01:09 AM
I hope Laker fans don't think Gasol is as good as Duncan cause he's not
I hope Laker fans don't think Artest is as good as RJ cause he's not
I hope Laker fans don't think Odom is consistent enough to be consider a factor cause he's not
I hope Laker fans don't think Bynum will stay healthy long enough to be a top center cause he won't

Duncan is injured and old, but still great, So yeah he's better than Pau
Odom comes up big in games that matter, everyone knoews that. (see End of Denver series, and the Finals)
Bynums injuries werent normal, both times his teammates landed on his leg
And Artest can guard RJ

Spurs_210
07-05-2009, 01:23 AM
Duncan is injured and old, but still great, So yeah he's better than Pau
Odom comes up big in games that matter, everyone knoews that. (see End of Denver series, and the Finals)
Bynums injuries werent normal, both times his teammates landed on his leg
And Artest can guard RJ

IMO Lakers are their best when Odom comes through however will he do the same next year being its not a contract year? Just as Manu we will have to wait till next year to see if Bynum and Manu will go all year healthy. Look I'm not ignorant and I know getting pass the Lakers will be tough and they are the team to beat. However I do know the Spurs will and have made the changes to even it up a bit.

Ghost Writer
07-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Are you homers delusional?

Signing Jefferson may or may not have brought the Spurs up to par with the championship-winning Lakers.

The Lakers countering with Artest slammed our title window shut again.

Artest is an above-average player on both sides of the the court.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-06-2009, 03:31 PM
I like Artest. He's a powerful, determined player. Kobe needs a lot of suckups in their supporting roles with the team...we'll see how Artest fits into that position.

DAF86
07-06-2009, 03:33 PM

Signing Jefferson may or may not have brought the Spurs up to par with the championship-winning Lakers.

No, Artest is an average ofensive player (or maybe worst) the thing is he thinks he is the second coming of Jordan, that's why he takes awful shot after awful shot at a 40 % rate, and coaches are too afraid to tell him different.

RJ on the other hand is trully an above average player on both sides of the court.

SteelerNation
07-06-2009, 04:09 PM
I see there are alot of guys here who dont watch basketball and just spew shit for the hell of it. You'd have to be a complete retard to think Artest doesnt make the Lakers signifigantly better. All these other posters suggesting Artest is not that good...or lost a step...or whatever, are either uneducated and never seen the man play or trying to make themselves feel better and convince themselves that the Lakers aren't the top team in the West. Either way, you're wrong and regardless how many times you wanna say the opposite...the Lakers have gotten way better with the addition of Artest. I just cant wait until the season starts so all this bullshit can be put to bed and we'll see who sinks and who swims.

21_Blessings
07-06-2009, 04:16 PM
No, Artest is an average ofensive player (or maybe worst) the thing is he thinks he is the second coming of Jordan, that's why he takes awful shot after awful shot at a 40 % rate, and coaches are too afraid to tell him different.

If you think Phil or Kobe will be afraid to tell Artest not to be a dumbass then you're delusional .

Artest shot 45% in Sac as the number 1 option. Now that Artest is out of that shithole of a system which was Houston his efficiency will sky rocket playing next to Kobe.

RJ on the other hand is trully an above average player on both sides of the court.

RJ has been an awful defender that past couple years. Meanwhile Artest is making 2nd team all-defense and holding Lebron James to 39% shooting.

DAF86
07-06-2009, 04:22 PM
Career averages:

-42% FG
-34% 3PT
-72% FT
-1.2 Assts/TO ratio

And he's dumb, selfish and can't drible the ball. That Artest guy sure sounds like a fine ofensive player.

mytespurs
07-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Why don't we draw a stalemate here instead of this constant one upsmanship? We won't know for sure the impact until the season starts and progresses.

I'm sure both acquisitions (Artest and Jefferson) will be positive assets to their prospective teams. Both teams did well.

Okay?

21_Blessings
07-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Career averages:

-42% FG
-34% 3PT
-72% FT
-1.2 Assts/TO ratio

And he's dumb, selfish and can't drible the ball. That Artest guy sure sounds like a fine ofensive player.

You forgot 4 time NBA ALL-Defense and DPOY. Artest shot 39% from the arc last as Houston's quasi number 1 option. Now put him in the Ariza role where 99% of his shots are completely wide open. :lobt2:

What has RJ ever done beside suck Luke Walton's cock?

DAF86
07-06-2009, 04:41 PM
You forgot 4 time NBA ALL-Defense and DPOY.

And what that has to do with ofense?

Artest shot 39% from the arc last as Houston's quasi number option. Now put him in the Ariza role where 99% of his shots are completely wide open. :lobt2:

He won't shoot that % in a season ever again. By the way he shot 27% from 3pt land in the playoffs.

What has RJ ever done beside suck Luke Walton's cock?

Well besides beign to the NBA finals twice, he has career averages of:

-18 pts
-47% FG
-35% 3PT
-78% FT

All above average ofensive numbers.

johngateswhiteley
07-06-2009, 04:55 PM
its amazing reading this crap. the emotion that goes into some this drivel, and how it affects your opinions...shut up. i don't know why people forget about Manu, if he's healthy the Spurs are easily the second best team in the West last year. Add, a healthy Manu (not out of the question), Jefferson, Blair, Haislip and Mahinmi...thats infinitely better than last year's team. last year's bigs were stiffs, lest you forget. a healthy Spurs beats any team, fucking retards...get some perspective. and if we aren't healthy...its not in the cards, get over it.

...not to mention, we still might get someone else.

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2009, 04:58 PM
It's July 6th, chill out..

you guys should know better than to continue this argument with people that openly cheer for rapists that shit on their teammates, and wife beaters that abuse animals..

johngateswhiteley
07-06-2009, 05:05 PM

you're like a little tiny baby that needs to be breast fed.

21_Blessings
07-06-2009, 05:07 PM
And what that has to do with ofense?

Don't be mad just because Jefferson has no idea how to play defense. oh and at least Artest has a post game.

He won't shoot that % in a season ever again. By the way he shot 27% from 3pt land in the playoffs.

Sure he will, next year. By the way, Artest actually took his team to the 2nd round (something the Spurs couldn't do).

-18 pts
-47% FG
-35% 3PT
-78% FT

All above average ofensive numbers.

All inflated numbers by leeching off of Jason Kidd. There's a reason the Nets and Bucks couldn't get rid of him fast enough. He's a jumpshooting blackhole that doesn't play any defense with one of the worst contracts in the entire NBA.

Jefferson: 14,200,000

Artest: 6,000,000

TD4THREE
07-06-2009, 05:12 PM
All inflated numbers by leeching off of Jason Kidd. .Which makes perfect sense considering he had his best year offensively last year with the Bucks.:rolleyes

DAF86
07-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Don't be mad just because Jefferson has no idea how to play defense. oh and at least Artest has a post game.

So 'cause stats don't help you, you pull the "defense" card, which is very subjective. RJ was the main defensive wing for a two times NBA finals team, I'm sure he isn't as bad as you think he is.

And Artest doesn't have a post game, in fact he doesn't have any ofensive skills. He just muscles his way to a 42 field goal percentage.

Sure he will, next year. By the way, Artest actually took his team to the 2nd round (something the Spurs couldn't do).

About the 3pt % we'll have to wait and see. And about the Rockets, they got to the 2nd round despite Ron Artest.

All inflated numbers by leeching off of Jason Kidd. There's a reason the Nets and Bucks couldn't get rid of him fast enough. He's a jumpshooting blackhole that doesn't play any defense with one of the worst contracts in the entire NBA.

:blah , if you are an above average ofensive player you can put RJ numbers, if you aren't, you shoot 42 % from the field, simple as that.

Jefferson: 14,200,000

Artest: 6,000,000

Yep, usually the better player gets paid more. Besides, what do I care? I don't pay any of them.

21_Blessings
07-06-2009, 08:35 PM
So 'cause stats don't help you, you pull the "defense" card, which is very subjective.

Stats help me just fine. Artest held Pierce, Melo, LBJ to 40%~ shooting last season. Elite defense. RJ was busy getting torched every game in Milwaukee leading his team to more lottery balls.

RJ was the main defensive wing for a two times NBA finals team, I'm sure he isn't as bad as you think he is.

You obviously haven't watched RJ play recently.

And Artest doesn't have a post game, in fact he doesn't have any ofensive skills. He just muscles his way to a 42 field goal percentage.

Artest does have a post game. You just don't watch basketball outside of SA. You're ignorance is hilarious. Oh and RJ shit his way to a 43 field goal percentage on his way to the lottery :lol Meanwhile Artest is winning playoff series.

About the 3pt % we'll have to wait and see. And about the Rockets, they got to the 2nd round despite Ron Artest.

They don't beat Portland without Artest. It's a fact.

:blah , if you are an above average ofensive player you can put RJ numbers, if you aren't, you shoot 42 % from the field, simple as that.

RJ was exposed on the Bucks, 43% without a super passing PG or wing to create shots for him. He's a volume shooting blackhole that doesn't play defense now. His FG% was inflated by J-Kidd and RJ proved he can't carry a team by himself. Artest has (see the Kings), carried them straight to the playoffs and took the Spurs to 6 games.

Yep, usually the better player gets paid more. Besides, what do I care? I don't pay any of them.

No, toxic contracts are given away (see Jefferson, Randolf) while Artest was courted by title contenders because they know how valuable he is.

underdawg
07-06-2009, 08:51 PM
Laker fans are funny - they continue to try and sell themselves on Artest being a cooperative role player, but in the back of their minds they know that Artest is an attention whore that needs to be significant. That'll be pretty tough with the current cast. He reminds me of Rodman and the only one that could tame him was Jordan - sorry Kobe does not have the charisma to keep Artest in check. This is the best thing that could've happened to the Spurs this offseason and to read all of these bandwagon Spur fans mourn over the loss of Sheed - they completely miss the gem that this roster change means in the long run.

DrHouse
07-06-2009, 09:05 PM
If Ron Artest was truly an attention whore seeking the spotlight then WTF did he sign in LA for millions less and a dramatically reduced role? That doesn't make sense.

I don't see why either side has to belittle each other's acquisitions. I'm sure RJ will workout great just as I'm sure Artest is going to add a new dimension to the Lakers they have not had in a long time. The Lakers didn't need to make this move, but I'm glad they did. Never be satisfied with what you have, always look to upgrade.

Shastafarian
07-06-2009, 09:09 PM
If Ron Artest was truly an attention whore seeking the spotlight then WTF did he sign in LA for millions less and a dramatically reduced role? That doesn't make sense. I dunno. But him going on SportsCenter that same night was telling. No other Free Agent has done that.

underdawg
07-06-2009, 09:23 PM
If Ron Artest was truly an attention whore seeking the spotlight then WTF did he sign in LA for millions less and a dramatically reduced role? That doesn't make sense.

I don't see why either side has to belittle each other's acquisitions. I'm sure RJ will workout great just as I'm sure Artest is going to add a new dimension to the Lakers they have not had in a long time. The Lakers didn't need to make this move, but I'm glad they did. Never be satisfied with what you have, always look to upgrade.

I'm sorry - I didn't realize that I was the first person to ever say that he's an attention whore. He figures he can supplement his lower contract through his record contract I guess. You truly are kidding yourself if you think that he will be comfortable in a reduced role for long. I really am only trying to point out that his mentality is not one of a role player or even a normal person for that matter. Call it belittling or whatever, but don't try to sell us that he is in it for the team and all that b.s. - when has he ever done that?

underdawg
07-06-2009, 09:24 PM

Can't be delusional about your consistency in being wrong - keep preaching brother. You're making me feel better about the Artest acquisition with each one of your posts.

DrHouse
07-06-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm sorry - I didn't realize that I was the first person to ever say that he's an attention whore. He figures he can supplement his lower contract through his record contract I guess. You truly are kidding yourself if you think that he will be comfortable in a reduced role for long. I really am only trying to point out that his mentality is not one of a role player or even a normal person for that matter. Call it belittling or whatever, but don't try to sell us that he is in it for the team and all that b.s. - when has he ever done that?

Ron Artest is coming to a team that doesn't really NEED his services. What he gives will be an added bonus and dimension to an already stacked team.

I sincerely doubt Ron would leave millions on the table and accept a reduced role just for kicks. The man wants to win a championship, he saw LO and Kobe in the Finals and it set something off inside of him. I think he's going to work out just fine.

If I were you I'd worry about the Spurs anemic front court because RJ or not they won't win shit without some serious additions there.

hater
07-06-2009, 09:42 PM
If Lakers keep Odom, yes they are the clear favorites. Above anyone else. But if they lose odom, they have taken a step back and joined the rest of the pack.

Let's also not forget last season the 2 other best teams in the league, Celtics/Spurs were injured so Lakers danced their way to a championship without facing real "tests"

underdawg
07-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Ron Artest is coming to a team that doesn't really NEED his services. What he gives will be an added bonus and dimension to an already stacked team.

I sincerely doubt Ron would leave millions on the table and accept a reduced role just for kicks. The man wants to win a championship, he saw LO and Kobe in the Finals and it set something off inside of him. I think he's going to work out just fine.

If I were you I'd worry about the Spurs anemic front court because RJ or not they won't win shit without some serious additions there.

I was a bit worried, but this does help. Let's be honest - LA needed Ariza last year in a watered down West and they'll need something more next year if some of the pretenders last season get their crap together.

DrHouse
07-06-2009, 11:17 PM
I was a bit worried, but this does help. Let's be honest - LA needed Ariza last year in a watered down West and they'll need something more next year if some of the pretenders last season get their crap together.

The Lakers won it all, fair and square. You can't determine who you'll play, the fact remains the Lakers were the best team all season long. There is no disputing that.

BillMc
07-07-2009, 12:12 AM
The Lakers won it all, fair and square. You can't determine who you'll play, the fact remains the Lakers were the best team all season long. There is no disputing that.

You guys did win it fair and square, I don't like excuses. And when you lose it, I don't want to hear excuses either.

Laker fans are always going on about how many championships they might have won had Shaq and Kobe stayed together. But part of what made them great, is why they had to part ways. It's just who they were. There were no championships lost.

What makes Manu great is he lays it all on the line every game and his body takes a beating for the way he plays. It happened to Bird, too. Their bodies can wear out. I think Manu is far from done, but his injuries (in the NBA, and for his home country) are also part of who he is. If, as some Spurs fans maintain, he "cost" us a championship by being injured, he wouldn't have been as effective all these years if he didn't play all out and gained so much experience in international play. He will be in the HOF as much for leading Argentina to a Gold Medal and being Olympic MVP as winning 3+ championships with the Spurs. It's who he is.

TD4THREE
07-07-2009, 12:39 AM

Artest does have a post game. Oh and RJ shit his way to a 43 field goal percentage on his way to the lottery :lol Meanwhile Artest is winning playoff series.

RJ was exposed on the Bucks, 43% without a super passing PG or wing to create shots for him. He's a volume shooting blackhole The way you post it seems you obviously haven't watched RJ or Artest play at all. You keep saying that RJ only shot a shitty 43 % last season,lol Ok Artest shot 40% from the field last season :lol good argument.

And RJ is the "volume shooting blackhole",you must have a short memory, (see Ron's series against LA).

DAF86
07-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Stats help me just fine. Artest held Pierce, Melo, LBJ to 40%~ shooting last season. Elite defense. RJ was busy getting torched every game in Milwaukee leading his team to more lottery balls.

And he was also torched by Kobe and Roy during the playoffs. By the way it would be nice if a reporter on LA asks him if he still thinks that Roy is better than Bryant.

No, not much. But I bet you haven't either.

Artest does have a post game. You just don't watch basketball outside of SA. You're ignorance is hilarious.

Last year I watched more Rockets games than Spurs games. The fact that he sometimes got the ball with his back to the basket doesn't mean he has a post game.

Oh and RJ shit his way to a 43 field goal percentage on his way to the lottery :lol

Which is still better than the 39% that Ron shot playing with Yao and T-Mac.

They don't beat Portland without Artest. It's a fact.

He was by far the worst Rockets player of the series, what the fuck are you talking about?

RJ was exposed on the Bucks, 43% without a super passing PG or wing to create shots for him. He's a volume shooting blackhole that doesn't play defense now. His FG% was inflated by J-Kidd and RJ proved he can't carry a team by himself. Artest has (see the Kings), carried them straight to the playoffs and took the Spurs to 6 games.

RJ won't be the alfa dog on the Spurs, he will have a similar role to the one he had on NJ, so that doesn't concern me at all. While on the other hand, go check Artest numbers when he can be the top guy and compare them to the ones he has when he has to play a secondary role.

Look I'm not talking bad about Artest 'cause he signed for the Lakers, I've always talked this way about him. Go check what I had to say about him when the Rockets played the Lakers last season or when there was a rumour about him signing for the Spurs.

Sii
07-08-2009, 07:44 PM
how's that shower rod GW?

http://images1.hdpi.com/product_enlarged/CrestRod.JPG