PDA

View Full Version : Tyson Chandler on the Trade Market Again

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 04:53 PM
http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-43/1246512682161040.xml&coll=1

I think we should at least call and see what the deal is. I understand he has been hurt but he could block shots and rebound. Would look good next to Tim.

In related 7 footer news, Boston has put Robert Swift on their Summer League Roster. http://www.celticsblog.com/2009/7/1/934417/robert-swift-will-finally-play-for

Muser
07-03-2009, 04:55 PM
lol.

Spurs9
07-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I'd take Tyson, hell yea.

BillMc
07-03-2009, 04:56 PM
The price for a trade within the division would outweigh Chandler's upside. Plus we have enough of an injury risk with Tim and Blair's knees and Manu's ankles. Why add Chandler's problems to the list?

Spurtacus
07-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Uh isn't he due 10+ mil next season?

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 05:01 PM
I believe it is
$11,850,000 09/10

$12,750,000 10/11 player option

If we trade bonner/finley/mason the money is close enough to push through, but Mason would be the deal breaker for me.

timvp
07-03-2009, 05:03 PM
He's broken and his stats fell off a cliff last year.

Pass.

jag
07-03-2009, 05:03 PM
He's due too much money...But TC is exactly what the Spurs need.

gmanrulz
07-03-2009, 05:05 PM
sign chris wilcox and trade him for chandler

JamStone
07-03-2009, 05:10 PM
As a Piston fan, I'd love for Detroit to trade for Chandler, but it's been pretty clear that New Orleans is struggling financially and they merely want to dump his salary and, having used their cap space on Gordon and Villanueva, the Pistons don't have enough expiring contracts.

Last year he was injured, and even when he played, he was playing injured. His stats fell off, but if he does return healthy (always a question mark for players that have shown a propensity of getting injured), I'd take him if the Pistons could get him. He's not worth his contract, but the NBA is devoid of true centers. He's big and athletic, he's still very young, he runs the floor, and he is an above average post defender. Healthy, he gives a team 10/10. Obviously not a superstar or even an all star, but where as the team I root for currently would start Kwame Brown at center, I'll take him no questions asked. Plus, while he's way overpaid, his contract is only for two years (if he picks up his option, which is likely).

It would ruin a team's chances for cap space in 2010 to take on his contract. But, if they're a team that won't be a player in the 2010 free agency, and they need a center, I'd take the risk of his injuries and acquire him.

vander
07-03-2009, 05:12 PM
we need to keep Bonner and Mason, they are the top shooters on the team and we need to keep the lane open for TP, RJ, Blair, and Manu.

please everyone, stop with the stoopid package ideas :shootme

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 05:15 PM
I know the money is alot, but next off season that is a huge expiring deal with a quality player attached to it. He will be 26 in October, high risk high reward investment. I hear you on the Blair, Duncan, Ginobli injury concerns. At least we aren't talking about Sheed.
:deadhorse

ElNono
07-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Damaged goods. Moving on.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 05:24 PM
We don't know how hurt he is or isn't right now

DPG21920
07-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I have to agree somewhat with Jam "the fence" Stone :lol

It is kind of unfair to judge Chandler's numbers because he was hurt all year. It is not like he was healthy and his numbers fell off.

Now, his injuries are a big concern, but if he was healthy, he would easily be number one on my list of bigs even with his contract.

bishopospurs
07-03-2009, 05:33 PM
26 year old 7'1 proven rebounder/shot blocker, it is worth a phone call. The worst that could happen is the spurs get a bad medical report and move on with free agency.

timvp
07-03-2009, 05:33 PM
The doctor who failed Chandler's physical is the same doctor who did the surgery on his toe. If that's not a red flag, I don't know what is.

DPG21920
07-03-2009, 05:37 PM
The doctor who failed Chandler's physical is the same doctor who did the surgery on his toe. If that's not a red flag, I don't know what is.

So you think he will never play again, or just not be effective?

lefty
07-03-2009, 05:37 PM
he's broken and his stats fell off a cliff last year.

Pass.
+1

timvp
07-03-2009, 05:43 PM
So you think he will never play again, or just not be effective?
He already played again after he failed his physical. But it sounds like his toe injury is degenerative and he also has ankle problems. Add in back issues and he's way too much of an injury concern. There's probably only a 50/50 chance he's healthy come next playoffs.

Plus he didn't rebound that well last year or block shots well for the last few years and Chandler doesn't make much sense. He might be worth the gamble for a team that could hope he bounces back but for a team like the Spurs who just needs a solid piece in the middle, way too many question marks.

DPG21920
07-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Fair enough. He was never really a shot blocker though. More of a long shot altering player. But the lack of blocks was always a knock on him.

I know he played last year, but he was hobbled the entire time. I meant more would he ever play at 100%, which you think no.

I agree it is a big gamble, but if the Spurs miss out on Sheed and Dice (now Gortat as well) I would rather have him than Gooden, Bass...

JamStone
07-03-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm too lazy to go research it, but the doctor who failed his physical was the doctor that did a procedure on his foot a few years ago, not the one who treated his toe problem this past season. I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. I could be wrong, but just wanted to clarify that point.

rayray2k8
07-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Uh no.. Might as well trade for Camby.

GSH
07-03-2009, 07:21 PM
He might overcome the injury, but he can't overcome that $12M contract. That price tag makes any risk on his health too big. If he had more injury problems after spending that much on him, it would be a complete freaking nightmare. No way the FO plays roulette with the remainder of Duncan's career.

Obstructed_View
07-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Oh well. It was worth a try.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/GeneralPurpose/Spurstalk/Ohdarn.jpg

CGD
07-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Overpaid pogo stick who is nothing without Chris Paul.

K-State Spur
07-03-2009, 07:44 PM
26 year old 7'1 proven rebounder/shot blocker, it is worth a phone call. The worst that could happen is the spurs get a bad medical report and move on with free agency.

you don't pay a rebounder/shot blocker 10 million per year.

without chris paul tossing him alley-oops - he's essentially Sagana Diop.

JamStone
07-03-2009, 08:29 PM
you don't pay a rebounder/shot blocker 10 million per year.

without chris paul tossing him alley-oops - he's essentially Sagana Diop.

Actually, $10 million for a defensive center who rebounds and/or blocks shots is right about the going rate. In fact, sometimes those guys get more than that.

Ben Wallace, Sam Dalembert, Emeka Okafor, Andris Biedrins all got long term contracts in the neighborhood of $11-15 million per year. Obviously, that's overpaying. But, because the NBA is so devoid of quality centers, especially true centers that will rebound, block shots, and bang, $10 million a year while a lot, is probably roughly the market value. Now, some teams that have other great players can get away with lesser players at the center position. But, it would be inaccurate to say teams don't pay a rebounder/shot blocker $10 million a year.

Chris Paul helped Chandler get a few more buckets a game, but CP3 doesn't really affected his rebounding or shot blocking. Chandler isn't a great big man, but to compare him to Diop is pretty harsh. Diop has never averaged more than 19 mpg at any point in his career, even when he was a starter. Chandler is a legitimate starting center in the league.

K-State Spur
07-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Actually, $10 million for a defensive center who rebounds and/or blocks shots is right about the going rate. In fact, sometimes those guys get more than that.

Ben Wallace, Sam Dalembert, Emeka Okafor, Andris Biedrins all got long term contracts in the neighborhood of $11-15 million per year. Obviously, that's overpaying. But, because the NBA is so devoid of quality centers, especially true centers that will rebound, block shots, and bang, $10 million a year while a lot, is probably roughly the market value. Now, some teams that have other great players can get away with lesser players at the center position. But, it would be inaccurate to say teams don't pay a rebounder/shot blocker $10 million a year.

Chris Paul helped Chandler get a few more buckets a game, but CP3 doesn't really affected his rebounding or shot blocking. Chandler isn't a great big man, but to compare him to Diop is pretty harsh. Diop has never averaged more than 19 mpg at any point in his career, even when he was a starter. Chandler is a legitimate starting center in the league.

Wallace was on a different level defensively when he signed that deal. Dalembert was paid based on potential, not production. and Okafor & Biedrens are SIGNIFICANTLY better offensive players than Chandler.

Chandler is a 5 ppg scorer without Paul. He's flat out terrible on that end of the floor if there's not an oop that he can alley (and even that's up in the air with his injury concerns).

The going rate for that is a lot closer to the MLE or less. That's what Diop got, and every team since has regretted having that salary on their books.

JamStone
07-03-2009, 08:58 PM
And Ben Wallace was paid $15 million a year, not $10 million. Dalembert was paid because he was a 7 footer who could block shots and rebound. He was overpaid not only because of his perceived potential, but because legit centers who actually rebound and block shots are hard to come by in today's NBA. It's the same reason not only those I just mentioned but guys like Dampier, Kaman, Bogut among others got paid way more than they deserve.

As for Okafor and Biedrins being "significantly" better offensive players than Chandler, that's crap. They might be better, but not much. Those two are both crap offensive players too. Biedrins on any other team other than Golden State would average under 10 ppg too. Okafor still hasn't developed an offensive game since he was drafted.

Chandler is capable of averaging right around 10 ppg with or without CP3. Check his career stats. It's not merely because of CP3. It was how many minutes he was playing. His per 36 minutes scoring stats give a pretty good indication that he's somewhere around 9-12 ppg playing with CP3 or not. If he gets 30 or so mpg, he'll give a team 10 ppg. He runs the floor and he's a good offensive rebounder. That's where he gets his points. Just like Biedrins by the way.

Libri
07-03-2009, 09:14 PM
He already played again after he failed his physical. But it sounds like his toe injury is degenerative and he also has ankle problems. Add in back issues and he's way too much of an injury concern. There's probably only a 50/50 chance he's healthy come next playoffs.

Plus he didn't rebound that well last year or block shots well for the last few years and Chandler doesn't make much sense. He might be worth the gamble for a team that could hope he bounces back but for a team like the Spurs who just needs a solid piece in the middle, way too many question marks.

I wasn't aware he was this injured. I think there is to much risk for the amount of money he makes.

DPG21920
07-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Biedrins is not any better offensively than Chandler. At all.

K-State Spur
07-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Biedrins is not any better offensively than Chandler. At all.

he scored 12 ppg last year on 60% from the floor without chris paul's help.

he's not a great back-to-the basket player, but he can drive the lane and do a few things with the ball in his hands.

chandler is completely worthless offensively except for finishing dunks and offensive rebound put-backs.

DPG21920
07-03-2009, 09:37 PM
So what. It was all off of dunks and put backs. Chandler has very good hands as well. Chandler shot something like 57%, so it is not like a huge difference. If you watch them play, you can see there is very little difference.

Biedrins is nice player, but he is all about finishing at the rim.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Oh well. It was worth a try.

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/GeneralPurpose/Spurstalk/Ohdarn.jpg

:lol

lurker23
07-03-2009, 09:43 PM
I would have taken him a couple years ago, but when you are big like that and you start breaking down it is really hard to maintain yourself. Shaq is really lucky he has not had a lot of problems in his career.

And on top of everything we would have to give up Manu for him.

I think the Hornets will accept an offer from anyone willing to match salaries with expiring contracts; that's basically what they did with OKC.

I would have taken him a couple years ago too, but now he's an injury risk beyond repair. Thunder got him for a bag of magic beans, and then voided the trade due a physical. That's one of the biggest red flags I can ever recall when it comes to a player.

HarlemHeat37
07-03-2009, 09:46 PM
I would take Chandler on another team, but not this one..

we already have Manu, Duncan, Mahinmi, and Blair with serious injury concerns..

Ghazi
07-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Chandler is not a shot blocker

loveforthegame
07-03-2009, 11:21 PM
If he was healthy sure. But pass.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Run away screaming from Chandler. He doesn't fit us at all. Contract is far too big, injury concerns, no offensive game (can't space the floor for Tim like Dice or Sheed can), overrated defensively.

I have a feeling you saw his best two seasons ago and he will never go near that again.

Obstructed_View
07-04-2009, 04:38 AM
The Spurs would rather give Gortat the entire MLE than even breathe the same air as Chandler. If you guys think Nazr or Elson or Bonner were disappointments, try taking on Chandler who's making 10 million a year.

TheSpursFNRule
07-04-2009, 04:42 AM
If the spurs pick him up im no longer a fan. that dude on that salary is the last thing a team like us right now would ever need.

mfanatic
07-04-2009, 03:04 PM
We don't get Sheed or Dice, I'd have to go with:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

That leaves us with the FULL MLE, LLE and Vets Minimum to sign a Shooter.

Marquiece Daniels sounds good off the bench for some of the MLE, possibly sign Iverson with the MLE as well to score off the bench..

Tony/Hill
Manu/Iverson
Jefferson/Gist
Duncan/Blair
Chandler/Ian

Our second unit would basically run up and down, pushing other teams to the limit. With Hill and Iverson I could see that work because of Iversons scoring and Hills defense, this IMO is our best shot.

K-State Spur
07-04-2009, 03:12 PM
So what. It was all off of dunks and put backs. Chandler has very good hands as well. Chandler shot something like 57%, so it is not like a huge difference. If you watch them play, you can see there is very little difference.

Biedrins is nice player, but he is all about finishing at the rim.

beidrins would be up around 18 ppg with chris paul as his PG.

there is not one player in the entire league who is as completely dependent on another for his offense as chandler is to paul.

itzsoweezee
07-04-2009, 03:15 PM
he looks to be seriously injured. i don't think he'll ever be the athletic big man he was two years ago. he doesn't really have anything to offer.

Tully365
07-04-2009, 03:53 PM
I would have taken him a couple years ago too, but now he's an injury risk beyond repair. Thunder got him for a bag of magic beans, and then voided the trade due a physical. That's one of the biggest red flags I can ever recall when it comes to a player.

That says it all.

coachmac87
07-04-2009, 03:56 PM
We dont need Tyson Chandler....He is a great weak side shot blocker but thats it. Chris Paul makes that guy look 100 times better than he really is. We should be fine with Gist/Blair/Ian and the FA big.

bishopospurs
07-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Looks like he is heading to the Bobcats, Okafor to the Hornets. Does that help the Hornets? I think the Hornets are getting the better deal, if Chandler doesn't work out health wise for the Bobcats Larry Brown will be again dragging his legacy through the mud.

bishopospurs
07-27-2009, 05:28 PM
oh yeah, a link, http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/nba/07/27/hornets.bobcats.ap/index.html

ohmwrecker
07-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Aren't Okafor and West basically the same guy?

Obstructed_View
07-27-2009, 05:57 PM
People who don't look at how much a guy's making before starting yet another trade thread should be ridiculed mercilously.

bishopospurs
07-27-2009, 07:23 PM
??? I posted the news that Chandler is headed to Charlotte on this thread instead of making a new thread. Did you check the date of the original thread? Did you read the thread?

mountainballer
07-28-2009, 03:51 AM
Aren't Okafor and West basically the same guy?

no, basically they are as different as two frontcourt player can be. nice move by the Hornets.

ohmwrecker
07-28-2009, 03:05 PM
no, basically they are as different as two frontcourt player can be. nice move by the Hornets.

Really? Well, beside the fact that Okafor is has a slightly better inside game and West has a slightly better outside game, what is the big difference? 1" and 10lbs? Or are you always argumentative while remaining uninformative?

Asshole.

Seventyniner
07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Really? Well, beside the fact that Okafor is has a slightly better inside game and West has a slightly better outside game, what is the big difference? 1" and 10lbs? Or are you always argumentative while remaining uninformative?

Asshole.

Okafor is much better on defense, West is much better on offense. Also, Okafor is a center, while West is a PF. They'll actually make a pretty good and versatile combination in the frontcourt.

DrHouse
07-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Okafor is much better on defense, West is much better on offense. Also, Okafor is a center, while West is a PF. They'll actually make a pretty good and versatile combination in the frontcourt.

Exactly, I'm surprised at how many idiot Spur fans there are that think this is a bad move for the Hornets. They finally get a C that can do something in the post other than catch lob passes. It will make them more potent on offense and less reliant on CP3 to set the table for everyone.

Rogue
07-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Exactly, I'm surprised at how many idiot Spur fans there are that think this is a bad move for the Hornets. They finally get a C that can do something in the post other than catch lob passes. It will make them more potent on offense and less reliant on CP3 to set the table for everyone.
Probably Okafor will add 1 or 2 more wins next season and if the Hornets make the playoffs somehow, Okafor is also the man that can step the brake when his team is slipping to 121-63. But no significant change can be presumed, dude won't do much more than a healthy Chandler can do in defense while it will be a big question how well dude can mesh with CP3 and the system. Besides, Okafor won't get so many shots as he did in Charlott, as David West also works at low post and won't share considerable shots with Okafor, and Okafor won't collect so many ally-oops as Chandler did. Okafor is only a slight upgrand in terms of game playing and strategy. While Okafor's long contract is absolutely a bad acquisition for Hornets in terms of financial issues in the long run, especially for Hornets who are struggling in finance.

ohmwrecker
07-28-2009, 08:37 PM

I didn't say it was a bad move. I was just noticing a lot of similarities between the two players. There are differences, sure, but certainly not disparate as Chandler and West.

Of all the dumb crap that flies around here, this should be fairly low on the radar.

ohmwrecker
07-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Oh, and a center he may be, but an undersized center Okafor is.