PDA

View Full Version : Is 90% of NBA GMs on crack?

Kamnik
07-04-2009, 03:04 AM
60 mil for 30 year old Hedo Turkoglu... going to a team that does not really stand a chance to be a contender in the near future.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Hedo is one of my favourite NBA players. (even though I am a bit dissapointed he went to one of the worst franchises when he could be with a contending team with just a couple of $ less)

http://hoopshype.com/general_manager.htm

When you take a look at this list it seems like maximum of 5 guys is doing their job well and something like 3 of them are copying the Spurs system. Most of them simply suck...

I see this as a horrible deal for Toronto and is almost in the bed with that Rashard Lewis deal... At least Lewis was overpayed by a team where he fits in well and was an imediate contender with the frontcourt of Howard and Lewis.

Well when you look at the fact Colangelo did this, It maybe makes a bit more sence. :lol

What do you guys think?

sabar
07-04-2009, 03:38 AM
A lot of players look at the NBA as a career that they need to get the most money out of as they can, not as a game in which they highly desire a ring. Pro players have short careers and many never transition to another real job. They want a lot of cash to finance their luxury lifestyle after they retire at age 37-40.

baseline bum
07-04-2009, 04:11 AM
60 mil for 30 year old Hedo Turkoglu... going to a team that does not really stand a chance to be a contender in the near future.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Hedo is one of my favourite NBA players. (even though I am a bit dissapointed he went to one of the worst franchises when he could be with a contending team with just a couple of $ less)

When you take a look at this list it seems like maximum of 5 guys is doing their job well and something like 3 of them are copying the Spurs system. Most of them simply suck...

I see this as a horrible deal for Toronto and is almost in the bed with that Rashard Lewis deal... At least Lewis was overpayed by a team where he fits in well and was an imediate contender with the frontcourt of Howard and Lewis.

Well when you look at the fact Colangelo did this, It maybe makes a bit more sence. :lol

What do you guys think?

Portland could offer him like $52 million max. I wouldn't leave $8 million on the table.

BRHornet45
07-04-2009, 04:19 AM
son our GM is the worst in all of pro sports. we are the smallest market in the NBA, yet have the highest payroll this up-coming season.

all this Hedo hype reminds me of the IDIOTIC Peja signing that we made a few years ago. It may workout for the first year or two, but just wait until the final 2-3 years of that contract whenever the BIG salary years kick in and Hedo's best years are WAY behind him. Hedo will be just like Peja in a few years and become nearly un-trade able due to his bullshit contract. Peja got 5 years, $64 million ... Hedo will get near that as well. stupid

sabar
07-04-2009, 04:23 AM
Don't forget there are a lot of teams and not enough talent. With a large payroll to fill out, people are gonna get overpaid. If you cut a few teams from the NBA you would have fewer scrubs making huge dollars.

Culburn369
07-04-2009, 04:34 AM

When you take a look at this list it seems like maximum of 5 guys is doing their job well and something like 3 of them are copying the Spurs system.

Your Spurs system was tanking to get Duncan. When he finishes up assuming room temp you're toastPERIOD

Chieflion
07-04-2009, 04:35 AM
Your Spurs system was tanking to get Duncan. When he finishes up assuming room temp you're toastPERIOD
Nope. We will tank again and Spurstalk will go crazy everytime we win a bloody game.

Kamnik
07-04-2009, 04:41 AM
all this Hedo hype reminds me of the IDIOTIC Peja signing that we made a few years ago.

That was the third player/contract I wanted to mention besides Lewis and Turkoglu :toast That was really a horrible signing...

I mean... I prefer my team to have short term worse results and maybe stack up on some young talent than to try quickly fix some holes and screw up your salary cap for the next half of decade. I feel sorry for all the Toronto/NO fans really...

I dont really buy into what sabar wrote. It is better to suck aditional year or two and then make a serious push than to overpay old players that will soon be useless...

sabar
07-04-2009, 05:15 AM
I dont really buy into what sabar wrote. It is better to suck aditional year or two and then make a serious push than to overpay old players that will soon be useless...

Oh I know that, I'm just saying what the GMs are thinking. They want people to buy tickets to the game and overpaying for talent can do that. Sucking for a few years can lead to profit loss and the team moving cities.

I think 2010 free agency is one of the few times in which teams are actually trying to suck for another year before buying any talent.

Kamnik
07-04-2009, 05:35 AM
Oh I know that, I'm just saying what the GMs are thinking. They want people to buy tickets to the game and overpaying for talent can do that. Sucking for a few years can lead to profit loss and the team moving cities.

I think 2010 free agency is one of the few times in which teams are actually trying to suck for another year before buying any talent.

With other words: It is wonderful to be a spurs fan!

:flag:

sabar
07-04-2009, 05:38 AM
No doubt. The Spurs have had good talent on the team for a very long time. We have been lucky in that the overpaid guys have either been traded or never got overpaid. Plus we have Tim/Manu/Tony at great value.

Strike
07-04-2009, 11:56 AM

:lmao

Never gets old.

Culburn369
07-04-2009, 12:03 PM
lol!

It's a new room for Culburn. So bear with me.

TDMVPDPOY
07-04-2009, 12:05 PM
he pulled a page out of lewis 101 guide to become rich biatches.....

Biggems
07-04-2009, 02:00 PM
the cost of living in Toronto, Canada is way higher than Portland, Oregon. that 8 extra millions looks like birdseed right about now. Now had he been leaving Canada and coming to San Antonio.....8 extra million would be like winning well over 10 million in salary.

sook
07-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Why does your english suck?

"GMs" is plural, there for you would use "Are" instead of "Is" in the title.

Grammar matters.

Allanon
07-04-2009, 02:03 PM
all this Hedo hype reminds me of the IDIOTIC Peja signing that we made a few years ago. It may workout for the first year or two, but just wait until the final 2-3 years of that contract whenever the BIG salary years kick in and Hedo's best years are WAY behind him. Hedo will be just like Peja in a few years and become nearly un-trade able due to his bullshit contract. Peja got 5 years, $64 million ... Hedo will get near that as well. stupid

The Truth, sons.

ginobilized
07-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Why does your english suck?

"GMs" is plural, there for you would use "Are" instead of "Is" in the title.

Grammar matters.

Hate to play the grammar police role, but, "therefore" is one word as you used it.

And yes, grammar matters.

sook
07-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Hate to play the grammar police role, but, "therefore" is one word as you used it.

And yes, grammar matters.

It isn't the same thing.

redzero
07-04-2009, 07:33 PM
The grammatical error in the topic title is bugging me.

sook
07-04-2009, 07:44 PM
The grammatical error in the topic title is bugging me.

you too?

nil.ball
07-04-2009, 10:17 PM
So his wife likes toronto eh?

Shit, for $60mil I will love Tulsa, Mississippi.

R4R
07-04-2009, 11:54 PM
For $60mil I'd live in LA...oh wait, I already do!

Kamnik
07-05-2009, 02:44 AM
Grammar police please, twasnt me! :P

Anyways: http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/07/04/hedo.raptors/index.html

Colangelo is a douchebag.

VivaPopovich
07-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Is 90% of NBA GMs on crack?

No, but I bet they'd make better decisions if they were.

I think we're all spoiled to have a great man like Pop with a lot of central control running things. Decentralized power is great for politics, but not for basketball. When you have too many leaders fighting each other within a team, that organization can't ever become someone's vision.

Most teams should adopt the SA-structure, where Coach and/or GM and/or President goes to 1 person that has central authority. Miami had a similar structure with Pat Riley for awhile.

SpursDynasty
07-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Orlando Magic are an Epic Fail this summer. You make the NBA Finals and you let 2 of your starters from the postseason go to the Raptors and Nets.

Kamnik
07-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Orlando Magic are an Epic Fail this summer. You make the NBA Finals and you let 2 of your starters from the postseason go to the Raptors and Nets.

To be honest... With healthy Nelson they don't need Turkoglu all that much. (especially not because they would have to seriously overpay him)

angelbelow
07-05-2009, 06:33 PM
everyone makes mistakes but it is mind boggling when GMs make the same mistake over and over again. also when GMs dont learn from other GMs mistakes.

Darrin
07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
A lot of players look at the NBA as a career that they need to get the most money out of as they can, not as a game in which they highly desire a ring. Pro players have short careers and many never transition to another real job. They want a lot of cash to finance their luxury lifestyle after they retire at age 37-40.

But doesn't he stand a chance to make more long-term money by playing for a contender, with more exposure, than if if he stays in a city no one sees him play?

LEONARD
07-06-2009, 11:26 AM

...says the authority on EPIC FAIL...

If the Lakers win the championship...

I'll leave this forum for life.

I am doing this to prove to everyone how much of a non-factor the Lakers are in the playoffs. They haven't accomplished anything. They just want to come out, shoot some hoops, and BS their way to everything. Not going to get it done in the Finals. Orlando will win the championship. There are no All-Stars other than Kobe on this Laker team. Not an intimidating lineup. Just a bunch of a jump shooters who score off Kobe double teams.