PDA

View Full Version : Probably not good trade idea but would you?

picnroll
07-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Knicks are looking for all the cap space they can get for next year. So ....

Spurs trade: Finley, Bonner, Mason
Spurs receive: Jared Jeffries, Wilson Chandler

Knicks dump $9 million off the salary cap for 2010.

Spurs pick up an athletic player in Chandler, good defender with potential to be a kickass defender postions 1 - 4 and a fairly useless PF in Jeffries.

Doubt Knicks would give up Chandler but .....

Spurs would then need to bolster the SG position.

Muser
07-05-2009, 01:59 PM
If we're gonna trade Bonner/Finley/Mason then i'd prefer to get a decent big out of them and then fill the roster up some other way.

TDMVPDPOY
07-05-2009, 02:02 PM
If we're gonna trade Bonner/Finley/Mason then i'd prefer to get a decent big out of them and then fill the roster up some other way.

they got jackshit of all trades when it comes to bigs on their roster

malik rose
eddy mccurry
jerome james
wilcox
who else am im missin....

timvp
07-05-2009, 02:03 PM
I like Chandler but that is too much. Mason and Bonner aren't horrible depth and eating Jeffries' contract for the next two years would suck. The dude is horrible.

When factoring in such a trade, you have to think that if the Spurs trade all three of those expiring contracts for contracts that extend past this year that it would hurt the chances of signing Splitter. Unless Holt is going to turn into Cuban, there needs to be a few expiring contracts to make room for Splitter.

exstatic
07-05-2009, 02:05 PM

Spurs pick up an athletic player in Chandler, good defender with potential to be a kickass defender postions 1 - 4 and a fairly useless PF in Jeffries.

I'm sure that the Spurs are looking at trades like this, although maybe not this exact one. They're out of the 2010 running, so why not try to maybe fleece a nice young player in return for some other team's dreams of LeBron and company?

picnroll
07-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Big would come from the MLE

Parker/Hill
Ginobili/McClinton/vet min
Jefferson/Chandler
Duncan/Blair/vet min
Sheed or McDyess/Mahinmi/vet min

Try to buy out Jeffries this year or next. Maybe Mason or, much to everyones chagrin, Finley could be bought out and come back on a vet minimum.

buttsR4rebounding
07-05-2009, 02:13 PM
I wouldn't mind doing a trade with the Knicks to help them free up salary cap space. I'd make them throw in a 1st round draft choice though. Then when they don't get LeBron it turns into a lottery pick and you know how well the Spurs do w/ lottery picks.

exstatic
07-05-2009, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't mind doing a trade with the Knicks to help them free up salary cap space. I'd make them throw in a 1st round draft choice though. Then when they don't get LeBron it turns into a lottery pick and you know how well the Spurs do w/ lottery picks.

We'd be lucky to get Chandler. They'll NEVER throw in an unprotected first rounder that could turn into a lottery pick for us. Just ain't gonna happen.

picnroll
07-05-2009, 02:19 PM
When factoring in such a trade, you have to think that if the Spurs trade all three of those expiring contracts for contracts that extend past this year that it would hurt the chances of signing Splitter. Unless Holt is going to turn into Cuban, there needs to be a few expiring contracts to make room for Splitter.
I thought that the Spurs could only offer more to Splitter if they were under the salary cap which is history for 2010 with the signing of Jefferson.

picnroll
07-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Another plus for the Knicks to entice them is this may give them the room to resign Lee and still keep cap space.

Mel_13
07-05-2009, 02:25 PM
I thought that the Spurs could only offer more to Splitter if they were under the salary cap which is history for 2010 with the signing of Jefferson.

They could use all or part of the MLE.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2009, 02:26 PM
I like Chandler but that is too much. Mason and Bonner aren't horrible depth and eating Jeffries' contract for the next two years would suck. The dude is horrible.

Unless Splitter would sign the rookie deal this summer...

:stirpot:

And I think the Spurs could get a better deal than that with those expiring contracts, especially if they were willing to part with a pick.

bishopospurs
07-05-2009, 02:42 PM
seen Jeffries a lot, I have to pass. No offense, looked very limited athletically. Also someone said Jerome James was a Knick, he is not, I believe the Bulls own that nice piece of basketball manliness. Wilson Chandler is a beast though.

exstatic
07-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I like this stream of thought, though. I remember being thunderstruck when reading that the people that made out like bandits in the California gold rush of 1849 were the ones that sold flour, lumber, canvas, and whiskey; the providers of goods. The Spurs can be a provider of capspace. We've already stolen RJ for basically nothing. I think they probably still have one more trade up their sleeve. Isn't Miami kind of iffy to add another player beside DWade? Wonder if we could help them out and maybe get Daequan Cook + filler?

exstatic
07-05-2009, 02:51 PM
seen Jeffries a lot, I have to pass. No offense, looked very limited athletically. Also someone said Jerome James was a Knick, he is not, I believe the Bulls own that nice piece of basketball manliness. Wilson Chandler is a beast though.

You have to take the bad with the good in that kind of trade. They're not going to just give you Chandler. You have to take a shit contract that will eventually roll off to get a nice young player like WC.

picnroll
07-05-2009, 02:53 PM

Jeffries is trash. The whole deal is to get Chandler. Chandler is 22, a SF that can guard multiple positions, well above average rebounder for his position at 5.4/game who put up 14.4 points. Cook at 22 can't begin to touch Chandler. Chandler would add to the present and build for the future.

bishopospurs
07-05-2009, 02:53 PM
I like this stream of thought, though. I remember being thunderstruck when reading that the people that made out like bandits in the California gold rush of 1849 were the ones that sole flour, lumber, canvas, and whiskey; the providers of goods. The Spurs can be a provider of capspace. We've already stolen RJ for basically nothing. I think they probably still have one more trade up their sleeve. Isn't Miami kind of iffy to add another player beside DWade? Wonder if we could help them out and maybe get Daquan Cook + filler?

Totally, we should at least get something for letting Bonner start so much. Maybe Pop thought, well Ginobli is hobbled, lets let Bonner start and trade him for more than he really is, a shooter off the bench.

exstatic
07-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Jeffries is trash. The whole deal is to get Chandler. Chandler is 22, a SF that can guard multiple positions, well above average rebounder for his position at 5.4/game who put up 14.4 points. Cook at 22 can't begin to touch Chandler. Chandler would add to the present and build for the future.

Cook is a completely different kind of player, a pure SG who can jump out of the gym and knock down the 3 ball. This would be like plucking a raw JR Smith from NO when we almost did back in 2005.

Chandler's probably a better player right now, but I think Cook's ceiling is higher, and I'm not talking 3 years from now. I'm talking 1 year from now.

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Spurs would have no depth at SG and another rotational player gone from the PF/C spot.

Even if they signed Sheed, it would still be a risky depth chart up front (besides the SF spot) and the Spurs would have to get lucky to get a guy like Cook (whom I like better than Mason).

Tully365
07-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Spurs fans talk about Jeffries the way other fans used to talk about Bowen-- he doesn't do much much on the offensive side scoring wise, so "he sucks...." but this is not true-- Jeffries is a great defender who spent time last season guarding every position from PG to C for the Knicks. Isiah Thomas overpaid him with the full MLE signing, but I think he was right on in his evaluation of Jeffries as an incredibly versatile defender and an intangibles guy. In one game last year where the Knicks upset the Celtics, Jeffries at various times in the game guarded Rondo, Pierce, Allen, Garnett, or Perkins. He's 6'11" and has done a very good job in defensive assignments on Nash and Chris Paul. He'd be a perfect "long 3" backup to Jefferson, and could play back up minutes at PF and C also. He'd be a perfect replacement for Bowen.

Tully365
07-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Spurs would have no depth at SG and another rotational player gone from the PF/C spot.

Even if they signed Sheed, it would still be a risky depth chart up front (besides the SF spot) and the Spurs would have to get lucky to get a guy like Cook (whom I like better than Mason).

Chandler played spot minutes at SG last season and was told by the Knicks to specifically work on ballhandling this off season because they wanted him to play at that position more next season. He can also play spot minutes at small ball PF. He's a good defender and would be a much better smallball PF IMO than Finley or Udoka were.

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 04:14 PM
So you want Gino (injury risk) and a guy that plays spot minutes at the SG as the depth? Spurs would have to be fairly confident they could land a quality SG and C in order to do a trade such as this.

If they could, I would be for it.

timvp
07-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Spurs fans talk about Jeffries the way other fans used to talk about Bowen-- he doesn't do much much on the offensive side scoring wise, so "he sucks...." but this is not true-- Jeffries is a great defender who spent time last season guarding every position from PG to C for the Knicks. Isiah Thomas overpaid him with the full MLE signing, but I think he was right on in his evaluation of Jeffries as an incredibly versatile defender and an intangibles guy. In one game last year where the Knicks upset the Celtics, Jeffries at various times in the game guarded Rondo, Pierce, Allen, Garnett, or Perkins. He's 6'11" and has done a very good job in defensive assignments on Nash and Chris Paul. He'd be a perfect "long 3" backup to Jefferson, and could play back up minutes at PF and C also. He'd be a perfect replacement for Bowen.

Disagree completely. Jeffries defense looks decent sometimes on the Knicks because no one else on the team plays anything resembling defense. Injuries have robbed Jeffries of his quickness and he was never that good of a defender to begin with. He may be able to guard a lot of positions but I wouldn't say he's above average at defending any one position.

I would rather have Udoka.

VivaPopovich
07-05-2009, 04:22 PM

yeah i'd do that

it'd add age and athleticism immediately, but he hasnt shown last season that he can play tenacious individual D. thats required if you want to be a Spur. maybe Jared and Wilson have a better shot

only player i'd miss there is mason

Tully365
07-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Disagree completely. Jeffries defense looks decent sometimes on the Knicks because no one else on the team plays anything resembling defense. Injuries have robbed Jeffries of his quickness and he was never that good of a defender to begin with. He may be able to guard a lot of positions but I wouldn't say he's above average at defending any one position.

I would rather have Udoka.

Cool, we can agree to disagree. I'd say Duhon, Robinson, and Chandler defend-- let's remember though, it is D'Antoni's team!

I'd still feel better having a 6'11" back up SF than the 6'5' Udoka.

Biggems
07-05-2009, 06:42 PM
I wish we could somehow acquire David Lee....I think our best shot to get Chandler was last season....I think he proved to be a valuable commodity to the future of the Knicks this past season.

loveforthegame
07-05-2009, 06:46 PM
I'd like to think there is a better deal out there using our expring contracts than this. Chandler would no doubt be nice but not with Jeffries contract.