07-05-2009, 07:28 PM
its ok lets go Mcdyess!

Mr.Bottomtooth
Motherfucker.

Spurs Brazil
Fuck

And the visit to San Antonio??????????????

Get McDyess now

Texas_Ranger
Biatch

timvp
Link (http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/?p=374&srvc=home&position=recent)

McDyess or bust?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2009, 07:29 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/?p=374&srvc=home&position=recent

Wallace a Celtic
The Celtics have reached agreement with free agent forward/center Rasheed Wallace tonight on a contract that starts at the midlevel exemption of $5.8 million, according to a league source.

The contract is believed to be for two years.

The addition of Wallace gives Celtics the service of one of the best shooting big men in the league. It also strengthens an already solid defense and provides offensive and defensive firepower off the bench.

The agreement comes at a time when the former Piston had been expected to be courted by the Orlando Magic, San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks. Bill Strickland, Wallace’s agent, had said via text message earlier in the day that he was in the process of setting up meetings with those teams.

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 07:29 PM
I guess this is because the Spurs did not truly show interest. Wonder why? If the Spurs end up with Bass or Big Baby I will throw the f up.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2009, 07:30 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/?p=374&srvc=home&position=recent

Wallace a Celtic
The Celtics have reached agreement with free agent forward/center Rasheed Wallace tonight on a contract that starts at the midlevel exemption of $5.8 million, according to a league source.

The addition of Wallace gives Celtics the service of one of the best shooting big men in the league. It also strengthens an already solid defense and provides offensive and defensive firepower off the bench.

The agreement comes at a time when the former Piston had been expected to be courted by the Orlando Magic, San Antonio Spurs and Dallas Mavericks. Bill Strickland, Wallace’s agent, had said via text message earlier in the day that he was in the process of setting up meetings with those teams.

So he just gave up before even giving the Spurs a chance for their pitch?

mogrovejo
Terrible news for the Celtics.

Congrats Spurs fans.

(and I'm not being ironic, Sheed is washed up and can't defend any more).

Vic Petro
McDyess has to be the target.

Spurs Brazil
07-05-2009, 07:31 PM
I guess this is because the Spurs did not truly show interest. Wonder why? If the Spurs end up with Bass or Big Baby I will throw the f up.

I'm now worried that we are the team with a offer for Bass

jcrod
Wow, i really though he was coming here. Oh well, lets get McDyess and get that ring next yr. We just need a solid player at the 4/5 next to TD.

timvp
It has to be that the Spurs didn't truly want him. Perhaps they told him the team wasn't willing to match the Celtics' offer. The timing is just too weird to mean anything else.

spursbird
Damn
But won't he come visit San Antonio next week?

Leetonidas
I think Dice would fit in better here anyway.

DICE OR BUST!!!

ChumpDumper
He couldn't stand the thought of competing for minutes with Bonner and Haislip.

Tully365
07-05-2009, 07:32 PM

Wallace a Celtic

:lol How can this be possible when numerous anonymous unnamed sources on the internets said he was visiting the Spurs this week??

Spurtacus
I will never be able to hope for a free agent to come to SA ever again.

Last year Maggette. Now Sheed.

Disappointing.

Spurs Brazil
And :flipoff to Wallace

Had a chance to be a starter in San Antonio but want the bench in Boston

bdictjames
Shit.

bostonguy
Sheed is really accepting a bench role? Im shocked. Now lets trade Scalbrine/fillers for a good wing and keep Eddie House as backup pg and we are back as maybe the 2nd best team in the east. Great this means we are losing big baby!:depressed

timvp
So he just gave up before even giving the Spurs a chance for their pitch?

I think either the Spurs weren't interested or the Celtics told Rasheed their contract offer was expiring by the end of the weekend. Otherwise, the timing doesn't make much sense.

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 07:33 PM
It has to be that the Spurs didn't truly want him. Perhaps they told him the team wasn't willing to match the Celtics' offer. The timing is just too weird to mean anything else.

I agree and that sucks. We will just have to wait and see the plan. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee do not be Bass. Please.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Marcus Haislip, faggots.

mogrovejo

Spurs FO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Spurs Fans

I've been noticing that since I started reading this forum.

timtonymanu
just like Tully365 said in another thread, let the true Spurs fan view of Sheed begin!

meestahmeestah
so am I the only one who thinks Wallace AND McDyess are both old and washed up? or at least maybe someone else is somewhat relieved Wallace went elsewhere?

timvp
It's Haislip's fault!

Spurs fans were right!

timtonymanu
On to McDyess now!

Libri
There will be no rabbit out of the hat.

Spurs Brazil
07-05-2009, 07:35 PM

If the Spurs didn't want to match Celtics offer I'm worried because that means they don't plan to offer the full MLE

bostonguy
07-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Im not all that thrilled with this signing if we lose Glen Davis. God id love to trade for James Posey and get him back but thats a pipe dream.

spursfan09
07-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Oh well. I think KG and Sheed deserve eachother anyway.

kbrury
07-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Im not all that thrilled with this signing if we lose Glen Davis. God id love to trade for James Posey and get him back but thats a pipe dream.

Was the MLE the only thing they could have offered Davis?

timvp
07-05-2009, 07:37 PM
So the same day McDonald confirmed Wallace's pending visit, Wallace signs with the Celtics?

DPG21920
It's Finley's fault!

Spurs fans were right!

Fixed my man :king

Spursmania
Mcdyess now:hungry::hungry:

timtonymanu
Now im not gonna sit here and say bad things about Sheed after i've been wanting him on the Spurs for so long. Really I'm not surprised and I didn't understand why everyone felt so sure he was coming. But whatever, hopefully McDyess comes now.

Spurs Brazil
07-05-2009, 07:38 PM
So the same day McDonald confirmed Wallace's pending visit, Wallace signs with the Celtics?

I think McDonald only knows about the visit because he read here. Now he'll read this and will put in his blog in 10 minutes

Death In June
That's an f'ing shame. I really think the FO is going to go half assed here after a promising start. We are fucked without big man help and there are hardly many options left.

bostonguy
Was the MLE the only thing they could have offered Davis?

See this is what confuses me. I dont know how the restricted FA for 2nd rounds go? Fuck this may mean adios Davis? UGH TERRIBLE MOVE IF TRUE! :depressed

BlackSwordsMan
07-05-2009, 07:39 PM
KG's intensity lured sheed to the celtics

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 07:39 PM
I am upset about this. I see no FA's that can put the Spurs over the top. I am hoping there is a big man trade for a starter. Everyone else is just a back up imo.

spursbird
07-05-2009, 07:40 PM
So Bonner would still be our starting center LOL

Spurs Brazil
Wallace commits to Celtics
Link|Comments (0) Posted by Marc J. Spears, Globe Staff July 5, 2009 08:13 PM
An NBA source said tonight that Detroit free agent forward Rasheed Wallace has committed to sign with the Celtics on July 8 when free agents are able to sign. Wallace is expected to get a two-year deal using the mid-level exception (expected to be about $5.6 million to $5.8 million). Celtics All-Star trio of Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, owner Wyc Grousbeck, coach Doc Rivers and president Danny Ainge met with Wallace last week. Wallace turned down overtures from Orlando and San Antonio to commit to Boston.
The Celtics also have interest in Suns free agent forward Grant Hill. Despite a Fanhouse report that Rivers was to meet with Hill today in Orlando, its uncertain if he did and Rivers declined comment. All Boston can offer is the $1.9 million bi-annual exception.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/extras/celtics_blog/

Mr.Bottomtooth
I never really did like Wallace.
McDyess is a much better fit. :)

Destro
my uneducated guess, Spurs have Splitter coming so they told Rasheed no thanks

Tully365
07-05-2009, 07:41 PM

+1 :lol If the Spurs' FO truly doesn't want Rasheed, they're lucky they haven't had to take the abuse of spurstalk posters calling them haters or uninformed naysayers the past few days.

Gino2882
Glen Davis is NOT what the Spurs need, at all.

Rasheed would have been great for the Spurs but apparently not to be. Mcdyess would be oh so nice at this point.

itzsoweezee
spurs better make a big move. can't go half-stepping this. if bonner is getting big minutes next year, i'm kicking buford's ass.

Shastafarian
What's the over/under on amount of time it takes Sheed or Perkins to start complaining about playing time?

BobEX
07-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Sucks. He would have been a great addition to the current team. Then again it's not too surprising given how hard the Celtics went after him.

Considering who is still available, maybe the Spurs should make a push for Odom or try to do a trade with the Clippers. Bass would be a big disappointment. McDyess is an option, but considering his age and past injuries I wouldn't be too excited if he came to SA. If all else fails they could try to resign Gooden and maybe Rasho.

Texas_Ranger
So Bonner would still be our starting center LOL

Parker
Mason
Jefferson
Duncan
Bonner

This just looks wrong!:depressed

kbrury
See this is what confuses me. I dont know how the restricted FA for 2nd rounds go? Fuck this may mean adios Davis? UGH TERRIBLE MOVE IF TRUE! :depressed

I hate KG but I always root for Boston when they are not playing the Spurs, and I thought Davis was a good match for the Celtics it would be pretty sad if he is not able to stay.

Spurs Brazil
In the perfect world Spurs 1st target was McDyess and they were also in contact with Wallace.
Maybe McDyess said yes and Spurs said to Wallace they already have their man

:downspin::downspin::downspin:

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2009, 07:43 PM
In the perfect world Spurs 1st target was Haislip and they were also in contact with Wallace.
Maybe Haislip said yes and Spurs said to Wallace they already have their man

Fixed. :bking

Mavs<Spurs
07-05-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm very disappointed. We better get McDyess. Sheed would have been a big help for Tim and the Spurs.

:bang

td4mvp21
07-05-2009, 07:44 PM
FUCK!!!!!!!!!! X 1 million

I wanted Wallace more than anyone else. I guess on to McDyess but I still want Sheed on the Spurs...

Sean Cagney
Welp unless we get Dice or another big we are FUKKED. I hope the Spurs cna pull something off.

TheTruth
Man, you guys are a bunch of panicky little girls. Give the damn off season some time to play itself out.

bigdog
Damn. Well then, let's get McDyess or Pachulia. If not, then let's get Gooden back.

Gant
07-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Signing Rasheed does not affect re-signing Big Baby in any way. In fact Ainge said today they are speeding up efforts to re-up Davis.

As a side note: Woooo Hooo!!!

(I hope the Spurs do get McDyess.)

Spursmania
07-05-2009, 07:47 PM
This news would be better tempered with news of our own signing of McDyess or another great big. Maybe they felt they could land Mcdyess and didn't have to compete with the Celtics. I hope:rolleyes

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-05-2009, 07:47 PM
America media is full of shit anyways. Spurs still have a chance!

2Cleva
07-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Tough break for SA. They need a 2-way threat next to Duncan to match up with LA. Without it, they don't have a chance.

DPG21920
This is confusing from my standpoint. IMO Tiago would not be a good enough reason to give up on Sheed, plus it is unlikely. Sheed was seemingly the best fit and they did not think enough of him to put in the effort to meet with him? They are very, very shaky with the bigman rotation and going into the off season that was the number one priority imo. RJ was great, but a great bigman is more pressing. Duncan needs help. Who will be there?

Let us continue the ride.

spurtech09
well rasheed would of been nice on the spurs but i think SA needs younger talent...I like za za better

Spursmania
Signing Rasheed does not affect re-signing Big Baby in any way. In fact Ainge said today they are speeding up efforts to re-up Davis.

As a side note: Woooo Hooo!!!

(I hope the Spurs do get McDyess.)

Good luck with Sheed. I really would have liked him for the Spurs. Guess he thinks he can win a ring with Boston easier than he can with us.:bang

Tully365
07-05-2009, 07:49 PM
What's the over/under on amount of time it takes Sheed or Perkins to start complaining about playing time?

And so it begins...

The Great Reassessment already underway!

txallstar
07-05-2009, 07:50 PM
screw wallace, don't need another old crumpy ass player to bitch and complain be baby sat so he doesn't throw a tantrum on the court. sometimes plays d and shoots 3s and this is better than bonner? since when is the sheed the final piece for every team all of a sudden.

spurs just need a big to play d, grab boards & put backs.

Libri
The only silver lining is that Wallace didn't drag this out. Now the Spurs can move to whatever other plan they have.

Sigz
Fuck Splitter, get your ass over here.

SenorSpur
07-05-2009, 07:52 PM
So much for the reported Wed visit by Wallace.

Next up?

Shastafarian
And so it begins...

The Great Reassessment already underway!

Can you find posts of mine where I was enthusiastic about bringing Wallace in?

timvp
Gotta give props to the Celtics. On paper, Wallace doesn't seem like a very good fit on Boston. But their major push for him right away seems to have worked.

It'll be interesting to see what the Spurs have up their sleeve. They've been quiet ... which usually means something is in motion behind the scenes.

Tully365
well rasheed would of been nice on the spurs but i think SA needs younger talent...

ah, yes, Rasheed was a tad on the old side, wasn't he?

(:lol This is too easy)

BlackBellamy
Damn. Well then, let's get McDyess or Pachulia. If not, then let's get Gooden back.
I'll take some Zaza.

mogrovejo
To my fellow Boston fans:

Why would we want to sign Davis unless he comes dirty cheap? Sheed doesn't play in the blocks any more and is slow as molasses recovering after showing; Davis more or less duplicates his skills, but with atrocious rebounding.

I hope we can find a more dynamic big man, someone who can rebound, work inside and defend the ballscreens.

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 07:53 PM
ah, yes, Rasheed was a tad on the old side, wasn't he?

(:lol This is too easy)

You do realize it was not just us fans asking for Sheed. TP and Manu publicly stated he was their number one choice more or less.

Tully365
07-05-2009, 07:53 PM
screw wallace, don't need another old crumpy ass player to bitch and complain be baby sat so he doesn't throw a tantrum on the court.

:lol

tmtcsc
07-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Disappointing.

Yeah, that didn't turn out too bad. Maggette sucked and Mason did great during the regular season.

JamStone
This surprises me quite a bit. Rasheed has always come across as an anti-establishment type of guy. He has often mocked and made fun of Stern's "darling" teams like the Lakers and Celtics and "favorite" players like LeBron and Wade. Now, he'll be part of that. I don't think it was ever an issue of if he could start or had to come off the bench. I truly believe he has no problem coming off the bench. It just shocks me that he'd join the Celtics.

But, oh well. I appreciate his time with Detroit and I'm still a Rasheed fan, so good luck to him in Boston.

timvp
The only silver lining is that Wallace didn't drag this out. Now the Spurs can move to whatever other plan they have.

Good point. Rasheed made his decision early enough to allow the Spurs make their move.

Whatever that move may be.

Shastafarian
07-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Good point. Rasheed made his decision early enough to allow the Spurs make their move.

Whatever that move may be.

I might hurt myself or others if the Spurs are the one offering Bass $5mil/year over 5 years. I'd like to think the FO is the same FO we've seen for the past decade+. But ya never know.

45 bank shot
07-05-2009, 07:56 PM
rasheed just simply never will be a spur, time to move on.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2009, 07:57 PM
This surprises me quite a bit. Rasheed has always come across as an anti-establishment type of guy. He has often mocked and made fun of Stern's "darling" teams like the Lakers and Celtics and "favorite" players like LeBron and Wade. Now, he'll be part of that. I don't think it was ever an issue of if he could start or had to come off the bench. I truly believe he has no problem coming off the bench. It just shocks me that he'd join the Celtics.

But, oh well. I appreciate his time with Detroit and I'm still a Rasheed fan, so good luck to him in Boston.

I'm not surprised from the standpoint that he would accept a bench position, I've never heard of 'Sheed being a problem in the locker room in that kind of way..I meant it as in competitively..you would think the guy would prefer to be a starter..

I guess it's possible that he feels like he could produce more coming off the bench at this age..

Spurs Brazil

Disappointing.

Last year it was reported the Spurs offered Maggete a deal.
There's no report if they offer Wallace a contract so we don't know hoe much the Spurs wanted him

Spursmania
:pctoss

mogrovejo
This surprises me quite a bit. Rasheed has always come across as an anti-establishment type of guy. He has often mocked and made fun of Stern's "darling" teams like the Lakers and Celtics and "favorite" players like LeBron and Wade.

Are you serious? Are you aware of the Celtics history with Stern? The guy didn't even allow us to take Lewis salary off the books after his death. Stern and the Celtics have always had a very tense relationship, since Red days. This is well documented.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't really know why people are writing off Boston though..they made it to a game 7 in the semis without their best player last year..they're easily the favorite in the East, as they've now acquired a guy that routinely shuts down Dwight Howard..

This also helps Boston against LA too..so that's the good news if the Spurs don't beat LA..

now to help our own team be a legit contender, it's 'Dice or trade..or bust..no Bass please, no Gooden please, no Varejao please..

jcrod
07-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Gotta give props to the Celtics. On paper, Wallace doesn't seem like a very good fit on Boston. But their major push for him right away seems to have worked.

It'll be interesting to see what the Spurs have up their sleeve. They've been quiet ... which usually means something is in motion behind the scenes.

Or they're striking out and are as shocked as everyone else.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2009, 08:02 PM
I just hate how every year the Spurs are rumored to acquire somebody, and it doesn't happen..it just grabs our interest..every player and his agent uses this team's "interest" to elevate their own players..if the Spurs want somebody, a bunch of other teams will look at him..

WildcardManu
07-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Perhaps he will pull a Hedo and come to San Antonio. I will not believe it until he signs.

spursbird
07-05-2009, 08:03 PM
I think the Spurs will chase Powe or Bass.

picnroll
Does this mean Bonner sticks as the stretch he floor big? :bang

Spurs Brazil
I think McDonald only knows about the visit because he read here. Now he'll read this and will put in his blog in 10 minutes

Rasheed Wallace is off the market
By Jeff McDonald on Jul 5, 09 07:44 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) Save & Share Yahoo! BuzzYahoo! Newsvine del.icio.us Facebook Google Reddit Fark
The Spurs' primary target during free agency no longer considers himself a free agent. Rasheed Wallace has agreed to terms with the Boston Celtics, his agent has confirmed.

Wallace had been scheduled to visit with the Spurs and Orlando Magic this week. Asked the state of those plans via text message Sunday night, Wallace's agent Bill Strickland replied: "No. Playing with Boston."

Wallace's impending deal with is believed to be for two years, starting at the mid-level exception of about $5.6 million. He is expected to sign a contract after the league's free agency moratorium ends Wednesday.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/wallace-is-off.html

timvp
Looking back on it, the Spurs just never appeared to be too interested. There was no report that they called Wallace right away ... or at all. The only connection was a visit to "Orlando and San Antonio" that the media kept reporting. However, Orlando denied there was ever a visit planned.

I'd say the scenario is:

1. The Spurs weren't very interested.

2. The Spurs weren't willing to match the salary the Celtics were offering.

3. The Celtics told Rasheed their offer was expiring this weekend.

Add in Buford seemingly being confident about filling the bigman hole and I gotta think the Spurs aren't shocked by this move. But I guess we'll see.

symple19
I find it hard to believe sheed would up with Boston before even listening to the Spurs. Sorry Spurs with Sheed are better then Celtics with him. Is he gonna come off the bench now for Bos?

Boston is not a contender anylonger. I would be shocked if they were higher than the 4th seed next season. Spurs with Sheed have a real shot at a title.
I'm bummed out. Sheed would have been a great fit for SA.However, I think this clearly puts Boston ahead of Orlando and barely behind the cavs. Boston (especially if they re-sign big baby) can run guys at Shaq all night and never get tired.Same against Orlando and Dwight. 4th seed prediction is just wacky.Boston is VERY much back near the top of the league with this signing, and nobody will be looking forward to playing them. Boston also remains the most experienced team in the East, which we Spurs fans know makes a big difference. Hell, ask Laker fans how important experience is.

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 08:04 PM
That is not good if Wallace was the Spurs "primary" target...

raspsa
07-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Didn't Wallace's agent say early on that the Spurs had their work cut out for them or something to that effect.. coupled with comments from other pundits that the Spurs didn't seem to be exerting that much effort to court Sheed.. In hindsight, these seem to indicate that he wasn't that high a priority on the FO's wish list as a lot of Spurs fans thought and perhaps they had someone else in mind. You'd think that if the Spurs made a serious pitch Sheed would have at least visited SA first before making up his mind.

Anyway, I can't believe that Haislip is the answer, at best he just brings some depth. But who the big FA will be who can play alongsideTimmy remains a mystery for now.. just more suspense and drama in the coming days. Can't wait to see what Pop has in store for us.

timvp
07-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Or they're striking out and are as shocked as everyone else.

:lol Let's hope not.

JamStone
07-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Are you serious? Are you aware of the Celtics history with Stern? The guy didn't even allow us to take Lewis salary off the books after his death. Stern and the Celtics have always had a very tense relationship, since Red days. This is well documented.

How about we talk about "this" current Boston Celtics team, not the Reggie Lewis Celtics.

And, to clarify, I should have probably used either the word "perceived" Stern darling team or "ESPN/media" darling team.

Spurs Brazil
07-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Looking back on it, the Spurs just never appeared to be too interested. There was no report that they called Wallace right away ... or at all. The only connection was a visit to "Orlando and San Antonio" that the media kept reporting. However, Orlando denied there was ever a visit planned.

I'd say the scenario is:

1. The Spurs weren't very interested.

2. The Spurs weren't willing to match the salary the Celtics were offering.

3. The Celtics told Rasheed their offer was expiring this weekend.

Add in Buford seemingly being confident about filling the bigman hole and I gotta think the Spurs aren't shocked by this move. But I guess we'll see.

Broussard said on ESPN last week the Spurs weren't very interested.

Cheddz
07-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Man, you guys are a bunch of panicky little girls. Give the damn off season some time to play itself out.

No kidding. Nobody's signed anything. Remember when Hedo was a Blazer? Me too...it was two days ago. Now he's a Raptor.

A Boston Globe report says he's going to sign with Boston....shocking.

timvp
07-05-2009, 08:07 PM
The Spurs' primary target during free agency no longer considers himself a free agent.http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/wallace-is-off.html

Hopefully McDonald is just guessing. If Wallace was really the team's "primary target" during free agency, from the outside it appears as their effort to land him was rather weak.

Tully365
07-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Well, at least now we won't have to read any more convoluted posts about how Rivers, Ainge, Garnett, Pierce, and Allen flying to Rasheed's house and asking him to join them is a sign of pathetic weakness and desperation, while the Spurs staying home and playing it cool is a sign of great strength that will undoubtedly impress Rasheed and more than likely persuade him to sign on.

benefactor
I hate it when my gut is right.

Oh well. This sucks but all is not lost. If get McDyess we are right there...but even if we don't get him I think we can make a couple of moves to add enough depth on our front line to make us competitive.

Spurs Brazil
Hopefully McDonald is just guessing. If Wallace was really the team's "primary target" during free agency, from the outside it appears as their effort to land him was rather weak.

Looking at McDonald history I think he's just guessing

ManuTP9
07-05-2009, 08:11 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/v4bf6d.jpg

:bang:bang:madrun:

Spurs Brazil
07-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Source: Wallace commits to Celtics

Comment Email Print Share By J.A. Adande
ESPN.com
Archive

Wallace

Rasheed Wallace is joining the Boston Celtics, an NBA source said, giving the Celtics one of the most important free agents on the marketplace as they attempt to return to the championship.

The Boston Globe reported Wallace will sign for two years at the mid-level exception.

Wallace won a championship with the Detroit Pistons in 2004 after arriving in a mid-season trade, although his career has been noted just as much for his volatile interactions with officials and contentious relationships with coaches. However, the strong presence of veterans such as Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen in the Celtics' locker room should keep Wallace in line and bring the focus to his positive attributes: the 6-foot-11 Wallace is a scoring threat from the low block to the three-point arc and a long-armed, savvy defender.

"As much as Rasheed's a headache, teammakes like him and he's a winner," another NBA executive said.

After trade rumors involving Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo surfaced last month it appeared the Celtics might be trying to shift on the fly, at the risk of breaking up the core that won the 2008 NBA championship. Now they have landed a piece that makes them a prime contender to win again next season, with an emphasis on the short term. Wallace will be 35 in September and made joining a championship-caliber team a priority this off-season, with the Orlando Magic and San Antonio Spurs on his short list of teams of interest.

But Boston was always the leading contender, a positioned strengthened by a dinner meeting with Wallace involving Garnett, Pierce, Allen, coach Doc Rivers and owner Wyc Grousbeck last week.

J.A. Adande is a columnist for ESPN.com.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4307834

picnroll
I don't think the Spurs have ever shown McDonald any critical information. Is he even allowed in the practice facility?

tmtcsc
If makes anyone feel better, I don't think a Rasheed Wallace team has ever beaten a Tim Duncan led Spurs team in the playoffs or finals.

I'm sorry he isn't a Spur but not all is lost. The East is going to be a 3 team battle between Orlando, Boston and Cleveland. The West is much lighter in my opinion. Our main obstacles will be the Lakers and possibly Portland.

All we need is to shore up our front court and stay healthy. I like our chances against anyone. Bring in Dice. That guy is hungry.

jcrod

I'm hoping you're right, but we should soon see.

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Camby please.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2009, 08:16 PM
I'd say there's no chance we get Camby..well, maybe like 1%..

Interrohater
07-05-2009, 08:16 PM
TBH, I'm not that disappointed. I think the FO knows what they're doing, and even if they don't, I'm still gonna watch the games. For real tho, if we were to play Boston in the Finals this year, watch Blair annoy Sheed until his head explodes lol

lefty
07-05-2009, 08:17 PM
now im not gonna sit here and say bad things about sheed after i've been wanting him on the spurs for so long. Really i'm not surprised and i didn't understand why everyone felt so sure he was coming. But whatever, hopefully mcdyess comes now.
+1

Spurs Brazil
07-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Another thing to consider.

Remember we were talking about in another Rasheed thread that Pop will be in France next week and he would not be in SA for Wallace visit.

Maybe this visit was BS

lefty
07-05-2009, 08:20 PM
From Project Spurs:

With Wallace no longer an option, it's back to the drawing board. The Spurs will likely looking at signing one of the remaining free agent bigs including Antonio McDyess, Brandon Bass and Zaza Pachulia.

Johnny RIngo
Gotta be a trade in the works..........no way Bonner sees major time this year. I think Pops know if we dont improve the front line, we are just wasting money this year.

Pop's in love with guys that do nothing but jack 3s. Bonner's going nowhere.

BlackSwordsMan
fuck bass

George Gervin's Afro
07-05-2009, 08:21 PM
the sun will come up tomorrow..

timvp
07-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Another thing to consider.

Remember we were talking about in another Rasheed thread that Pop will be in France next week and he would not be in SA for Wallace visit.

Maybe this visit was BS

True. Pop is out of the country until 11th at the earliest. It'd be weird for Wallace to come for a visit when Pop is in France.

I guess we gotta hope for a Ludden article to clear this up . . .

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2009, 08:23 PM
There are so many freakin greenhorns in here - the Spurs NEVER land the big FA that they are rumoured to be courting. How many years of "disappointment" do you need to learn this axiom?

As I've said all along, at this point in his career, a step slower, Sheed is over-rated anyway, and I'm sure we are courting Dice because you haven't heard anything about it. CIA Pop, yeah?

What do we need from the guy next to Tim? A reliable midrange game (check), help on the boards (check), decent defense in the post (check), a team guy (check). Dice is our man, as I've said all along. We can offer him more than the Pistons can (they only have about 4mil), so now all he has to do is take it. If he doesn't, then we've got some work to do, but I'd say Pachulia or Rasho would be next on the list since Blair basically replicates whqat Bass has to offer.

Johnny RIngo
07-05-2009, 08:25 PM

-Traded Scola to a division rival for nothing
-Didn't do jack shit to improve the team after winning the 2007 championship. The rest of the league got better while the Spurs assumed that a group of senior citizens would be enough to repeat

I don't blame the FO for missing out on Rasheed though. No big name FA wants to play in SA(couldn't even convince Cory Maggete to come play here).

Amuseddaysleeper
07-05-2009, 08:26 PM
For some reason this makes me think Splitter is coming over more than ever.

Either that or maybe Brandon Bass is gonna join the Spurs. What's up with Zsa Zsa? I haven't read anything about him this summer.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Corey Maggette took millions and millions more to play somewhere else, where he wouldn't have any responsibility on him, and he could just play a careless free-flowing game..that surprised you?..

Amuseddaysleeper
07-05-2009, 08:28 PM
-Didn't do jack shit to improve the team after winning the 2007 championship. The rest of the league got better while the Spurs assumed that a group of senior citizens would be enough to repeat

I don't blame the FO for missing out on Rasheed though. No big name FA wants to play in SA(couldn't even convince Cory Maggete to come play here).

While I agree with the first half of that statement, I will say the Spurs seem to be determined this offseason. I agree with a majority of other posters that the Spurs probably weren't as high on Sheed as we though (no pun intended). If they can land a decent starting bigman I'll be happy.

td4mvp21
07-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Either that or maybe Brandon Bass is gonna join the Spurs.

:shootme

timtonymanu
07-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Jesus Christ, what some of you failed to see is that we acquired Richard Jefferson pretty much for Kurt Thomas. We got DeJuan Blair in the draft. We have alot of potential Spurs playing in the summer league. Just because we missed out on Sheed, the FO has sucked so far?

I do agree though that Duncan needs help already, but man free agency hasnt even been around for a week. Remember last summer, Spurs lost out on Maggette and out of nowhere a guy named Roger Mason Jr was signed and how did that turn out for the Spurs?

Spurtacus
07-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Yeah, that didn't turn out too bad. Maggette sucked and Mason did great during the regular season.

Here's hoping for a repeat.

Mason > Maggette

??? > Sheed

galvatron3000
07-05-2009, 08:34 PM
I figured something was up when the Spurs signed Haislip

Tully365
07-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Source: Wallace commits to Celtics

Comment Email Print Share By J.A. Adande
ESPN.com

After trade rumors involving Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo surfaced last month it appeared the Celtics might be trying to shift on the fly, at the risk of breaking up the core that won the 2008 NBA championship. Now they have landed a piece that makes them a prime contender to win again next season, with an emphasis on the short term. Wallace will be 35 in September and made joining a championship-caliber team a priority this off-season, with the Orlando Magic and San Antonio Spurs on his short list of teams of interest.

But Boston was always the leading contender, a positioned strengthened by a dinner meeting with Wallace involving Garnett, Pierce, Allen, coach Doc Rivers and owner Wyc Grousbeck last week.

J.A. Adande is a columnist for ESPN.com.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4307834

Boston took Orlando to 7 games without Garnett and Powe... I can't believe anyone could for a second say they weren't prime contenders with or without Rasheed.

boutons_deux
07-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Yay! The over-the-hill Sheed, he ain't the Sheed of 4+ years ago.
He's been a 13/7 guy for 3,4 years now. Spurs can do that with two younger players who don't disrupt the game with tirades and T's.

He'll be happy in Doc's grind-it-out system-less church-league style.

SenorSpur
07-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Sheed would have been a great fit for SA.
No doubt. I thought the same thing. Sheed has the size, skill and smarts needed to have made a seamless transition. I just knew Pop would be salivating over the possibility of utilizing Sheed in a Robert Horry-type fashion, as an instant starter.

Obviously, that wont happen now. Can't wait to see what the FO has up their sleeve now.

"Go ahead. Make my day."

Walton Buys Off Me
07-05-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't get it.

Poor Duncan. His last years will now be spent playing next to Matt Bonner, Marcus Haislip and unproven rookies.

If the Spurs gave any part of their MLE to Haislip, Buford is dumber than I thought. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't. The timing however, suggest otherwise. Sheed meets with Boston July 1, doesn't sign, says he'll visit SA next week, we sign Haislip today and five hours later Sheed signs with Boston. Odd.

Rasheed Wallace was THE one player that would do the most for our team in our system and our front office held on to their dicks for the last 5 days. No way on Earth Wallace actually thinks Boston has a better chance at a ring.

The Spurs use the first 5 days of free agency to sign Marcus Haislip....well done RC.

Antonio McDyess is not what we need. Doesn't rebound, doesn't block shots, can't defend the long three and is undersized for the true big men of the league. He also has surgically repaired knees.

All this talk about a great offseason after the RJ acquisition and you'll see, we'll end up with Marcus Haislip and Rasho Nesterovic.

kromediablo
07-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Seriously, the spurs cant get a superstar free agent because nobody want to work for coach pop!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
For some reason this makes me think Splitter is coming over more than ever.

Either that or maybe Brandon Bass is gonna join the Spurs. What's up with Zsa Zsa? I haven't read anything about him this summer.

This really does suggest Splitter, especially with Pop over in "France".

No way I see Bass here, not after drafting another undersized energy guy in Blair.

Corey Maggette took millions and millions more to play somewhere else, where he wouldn't have any responsibility on him, and he could just play a careless free-flowing game..that surprised you?..

And we lucked out. Not only is Maggette selfish and one-dimensional, he's one more serious injury from retirement.

Jesus Christ, what some of you failed to see is that we acquired Richard Jefferson pretty much for Kurt Thomas. We got DeJuan Blair in the draft. We have alot of potential Spurs playing in the summer league. Just because we missed out on Sheed, the FO has sucked so far?

I do agree though that Duncan needs help already, but man free agency hasnt even been around for a week. Remember last summer, Spurs lost out on Maggette and out of nowhere a guy named Roger Mason Jr was signed and how did that turn out for the Spurs?

Indeed.

We will end up with a serviceable centre next to Tim, whether it's Dice, Pachulia, Splitter or Rasho. And even if it is Rasho the team has seriously upgraded and gotten younger at the same time.

Everything will work out fine and, injuries allowing, we will once again contend. :D

picnroll
It seemed Parker mentioned in an interview that the Spurs were going after Sheed so maybe they did miss on their number one target.

Texas_Ranger
07-05-2009, 08:41 PM
I don't get it.

Poor Duncan. His last years will now be spent playing next to Matt Bonner, Marcus Haislip and unproven rookies.

If the Spurs gave any part of their MLE to Haislip, Buford is dumber than I thought. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he didn't. The timing however, suggest otherwise. Sheed meets with Boston July 1, doesn't sign, says he'll visit SA next week, we sign Haislip today and five hours later Sheed signs with Boston. Odd.

Rasheed Wallace was THE one player that would do the most for our team in our system and our front office held on to their dicks for the last 5 days. No way on Earth Wallace actually thinks Boston has a better chance at a ring.

The Spurs use the first 5 days of free agency to sign Marcus Haislip....well done RC.

Antonio McDyess is not what we need. Doesn't rebound, doesn't block shots, can't defend the long three and is undersized for the true big men of the league. He also has surgically repaired knees.

All this talk about a great offseason after the RJ acquisition and you'll see, we'll end up with Marcus Haislip and Rasho Nesterovic.

Really?? And I thought that he averaged almost 10 reb. per game last season.

mytespurs
07-05-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm not surprised; I was ambivalent about him anyway. I don't think he would've put us over the top vs. Lakers anyway. I think too many people thought he was the answer to the puzzle; I'm not sure that he was.

Oh well.....on to Plan B....whatever that is.......:king

Shastafarian
07-05-2009, 08:42 PM

He averaged 15.6 rebounds/48 minutes. Sheed average a little over 11 rebounds/48 minutes.

spursbird
07-05-2009, 08:43 PM
It seemed Parker mentioned in an interview that the Spurs were going after Sheed so maybe they did miss on their number one target.
Maybe it was smokescreen, I thought.

Ace9
Is there any chance Tiago Splitter comes over? I hope so.

picnroll
Get Zaza so at least he can beat up Garnett.

Kori Ellis
07-05-2009, 08:44 PM
I don't get it.

Rasheed averaged about 7 rebounds a game this past season in less minutes than McDyess averaged 10 rebounds.

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Parker is usually in the know and he did mention Sheed. This is smelling more and more like a strike out.

spursbird
07-05-2009, 08:45 PM
Is there any chance Tiago Splitter comes over? I hope so.
Buford has answered this question: Nope.

mardigan
07-05-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm glad the Spurs dodged the Sheed bullet to be honest.

Marcus Bryant
Naturally the usual fucking morons show up to throw dirt on the front office.

poeticism707
I don't get it.

:lol:lol:lol

Now, don't go overreacting! Sheed was the top FA Big for the Spurs, the best fit and 1 A if you will, but Dice is likely 1 B, because he is DEADLY from midrange, and stretches the floor plenty for Duncan in the post. Also, a great defender, rebounder, passer, clutch performer, also hard working and classy, unlike Sheed.

But even if the Spurs missed out on Dice, ZaZa would be a very good fit also, and he's much younger than either of them.

Don't despair Spurs fans! There are A NUMBER OTHER OPTIONS!

Smile!:king:king:king

Walton Buys Off Me
I understand your anger, except you're an idiot..

I wanted Wallace too, but there clearly isn't much of a difference..most Pistons fans have been telling us that Dice is better as well..

McDyess cannot spread the floor the way Wallace does. They are completely different players.

The Spurs system allowed Matt Bonner to almost resemble a D-League player last year feeding off the space Duncan creates.

Imagine what Rasheed could do.

Wallace would be a much better fit than McDyess, it's not even comparable.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Buford has answered this question: Nope.

Actually, the answer was "unlikely."

Kori Ellis
Parker is usually in the know and he did mention Sheed. This is smelling more and more like a strike out.

Oh, I definitely think it was a strikeout. I don't think Rasheed was their only target, but Manu, Tony, and even Ian wouldn't be talking about Rasheed if the Spurs weren't targeting him.

That said, he wasn't a savior.

Pucho!!!

Or maybe that's what the Spurs wanted everyone else to think

anakha
07-05-2009, 08:48 PM
:corn:

Oh, don't mind me.

Watching the fallout is incredibly entertaining. :lol

timvp
07-05-2009, 08:48 PM
McDyess cannot spread the floor the way Wallace does. McDyess doesn't have three-point range but he hit a higher percentage of his outside jumpers than any bigman in the league outside of Dirk.

Marcus Bryant
07-05-2009, 08:49 PM
McDyess can hit a 20 foot J. So perhaps Wallace would command 3 more feet on the weak side at most.

Wallace is not a superior rebounder and only a marginally better shotblocker than McDyess.

Marcus Bryant

Dunc n Dave
I don't get it.

I'll give you that he doesn't block shots (0.8 last year), but the guy nearly averaged a double-double last season in pts and rebounds. He also shot 51% from the floor. He CAN help the Spurs, but at this point I think I'd rather see Glen Davis in a Spurs uniform. At least we'll get more than 1-2 years out of Davis.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
I don't get it.

Bullshit. McDyess does rebound (9.8 boards per game in 30 mins last year!), and we don't need him to be a weakside shotblocker, that's Tim's job (he still got 0.8 in 30 mins last year). He CAN space the floor as his mid-range game is fantastic, and he's a solid defender. He's 6'9.5" without shoes, 0.25" shorter than Sheed, which makes him 6'11" in shoes. We don't need him to guard 3s, we have other players to do that. And as for his knees, he's adjusted his game since his injuries and seems to be fine. In other words, you don't like McDyess but you also don't know shit about him.

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Oh, I definitely think it was a strikeout. I don't think Rasheed was their only target, but Manu, Tony, and even Ian wouldn't be talking about Rasheed if the Spurs weren't targeting him.

That said, he wasn't a savior.

Having said that, do you find it odd that if he was the main target that the Spurs FO was so seemingly lazy in their pursuit?

Kori Ellis
07-05-2009, 08:50 PM
:lol @ Spurs fans assuming that the Spurs are going after Dice next. For all we know, they have Bass and Wilcox next on the list.

SpurOutofTownFan
07-05-2009, 08:51 PM

This.

There has to be a VERY SPECIFIC reason they didn't pursue him with aggression. Also I'm used to see the FO pull these kind of smoke walls to deceive everyone and come out of nowhere and land a totally different person.

Let's watch and see.

/popcorn
/turns on tv

Kindergarten Cop
While I am extremely disappointed that we did not land Wallace, I am not going to badmouth him or our front office. He was my number one candidate to start next to Timmy this upcoming season, but I realize that the team brass are much better at analyzing these types of acquisitions than I - so I will pray that they have something in the works already. McDyess was my second option, as he is on the shortlist of many other posters, so I hope all of those that stated that he was a better fit for the Spurs than Sheed turn out to be correct and he signs with us on Wednesday. I pray that they will not settle for Bass or Davis.

I would also like to reiterate what another poster noted in this thread: Did most of the posters acting as if our front office is doing nothing forget about how well our offseason has gone so far? Even if we don't acquire a big name 4/5 (which I certainly hope is not the case), this has been one of the best offseasons in a long while for the Spurs.

Shastafarian
:lol @ Spurs fans assuming that the Spurs are going after Dice next. For all we know, they have Bass and Wilcox next on the list.

:shootme

Brazil

Actually he said Sheed AND Dice

Sii
07-05-2009, 08:52 PM
so for the past week or two people have been praising the Spurs front office and now that one potential FA signs elsewhere its doom and RC sucks? Wallace would have been worth getting but its not the only option

Haislip will be a vet min player. acting like he was signed over going after a MLE FA is ridiculous

ploto
Reports nationally were that the Spurs were not all that interested in Rasheed and people shot the messenger.

I think McDyess will stay in Detroit; I have all along.

spursbird
McDyess doesn't have three-point range but he hit a higher percentage of his outside jumpers than any bigman in the league outside of Dirk.
You forgot Okur and Bonner.:downspin:

ElNono
Actually he said Sheed AND Dice

EDIT: Manu did said he would have preferred Sheed.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
McDyess cannot spread the floor the way Wallace does. They are completely different players.

The Spurs system allowed Matt Bonner to almost resemble a D-League player last year feeding off the space Duncan creates.

Imagine what Rasheed could do.

Wallace would be a much better fit than McDyess, it's not even comparable.

McDyess doesn't have three-point range but he hit a higher percentage of his outside jumpers than any bigman in the league outside of Dirk.

Beat me to it.

Dice has the best midrange jumper of any big man not named Dirk by the stats, and when watching the Pistons last year he just seemed to knock in long J after long J.

Dice would be a close to perfect fit for us. He's like Kurt Thomas, but better and more consistent.

DPG21920
Who knows? But I think trades can provide the best fit now. FA has some decent players, but I think there might be a few trades that could work out better.

Just please, please do not be going after Bass or Glen Davis. Please.

JamStone
07-05-2009, 08:53 PM
McDyess does spread the floor, just not as far as a three point shooting big man. He's got a great 15-18 midrange jumper, and can hit it all over the halfcourt, from the baseline to the elbows to the top of the key. He's really a great shooter. If he actually practiced three pointers, I think he would be a pretty good three point shooter. And, McDyess is actually a very solid rebounder, better than Rasheed anyway. If the argument that McDyess isn't what the Spurs needed compared to Rasheed because he doesn't rebound and block shots, that very well could have been said about Rasheed.

Slinkyman
07-05-2009, 08:54 PM
It might have been a strike out but i doubt the spurs were heavily invested in Sheed, they probably knew they were on his short list of teams and waited to see if he'd pass on boston. I think they've been operating as if Sheed wouldn't come here knowing the likelihood of sheed signing here was pretty low. I'd expect the Spurs to reach an agreement with whoever was #2 by tomorrrow.

DBMethos
07-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Oh well. Time for plan B, whatever the fuck that may be.

mardigan

I know he's not viewed to highly around here, but I would love if the Spurs could get Wilcox.

HarlemHeat37
Trades is a good option too, but for who?..I really can't think of any realistic option that will help us fill our needs, and that we can also get with our expiring contracts..

I thought Camby was a small possibility, but even less now that Randolph was traded..he would have to ask for a trade..

I can't think of anybody after that anyways..

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2009, 08:56 PM
McDyess does spread the floor, just not as far as a three point shooting big man. He's got a great 15-18 midrange jumper, and can hit it all over the halfcourt, from the baseline to the elbows to the top of the key. He's really a great shooter. If he actually practiced three pointers, I think he would be a pretty good three point shooter. And, McDyess is actually a very solid rebounder, better than Rasheed anyway. If the argument that McDyess isn't what the Spurs needed compared to Rasheed because he doesn't rebound and block shots, that very well could have been said about Rasheed.

Thank you - from the horse's mouth. Exactly what I've been saying all along.

ploto
TP and Manu publicly stated he was their number one choice more or less.

You realize that means he wasn't. :lol

urunobili
Nice... y'all enjoy seeing how he has nothing left in the tank... and gets lazy on D... off to Dice...

Vinnie_Johnson
07-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Sorry Spurs I really think Sheed would have been a great fit for you guys. Go for Dice he is better at this point anyway good luck Spurs win a ring for Dice.

ploto
07-05-2009, 09:00 PM

Maybe they are unwilling to spend the MLE and expect someone will take less money to play for the Spurs.

urunobili
As a mentor for our young bigs... Dice>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Sheed

mardigan
Sheed isn't nearly as good anymore as some people are making him out to be. As someone else said, he wasn't going to be any kind of savior.

Pistons < Spurs
07-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Blessing in disguise.

You really didn't want a PF that camps on the perimeter and refuses to play in the post. You didn't want a big man that has very pedestrian rebounding numbers. You didn't want a highly skilled player who only wants to put forth effort half the time. You didn't want a head case that's capable of blowing up at any moment. You don't want a key player who shows up to a playoff game 2 minutes before game time, or a guy who lets his team down by fouling out in the last several minutes of a playoff game when you're only down by 3 possessions.

Target Dice. Go after him hard. And get him a ring. His 15 foot jumper is AUTOMATIC. His effort and desire is second to none. He had 29 games this year w/ 10+ rebounds compared to Sheeds 17. He is EXACTLY what you all need.

Get it done Spurs.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Maybe they are unwilling to spend the MLE and expect someone will take less money to play for the Spurs.I used to think they wouldn't go over the tax threshold and alter the 2010 plan too.

Spursmania
07-05-2009, 09:03 PM
I can't help but think this was all part of the FO's decision not to pursue Sheed. It was reported and apparently is true that SA did not pursue Sheed aggressively. Also, we know Pop was in France, so many of us were surprised that Sheed was coming to visit this week, since Pop woudn't even be here.

It just seems to me, that we were all wrong in thinking Sheed was the Spurs' first option. Why would they be so non-chalant about it? In retrosepect, it seems clear, they have their sight on someone else. The question is who?

mogrovejo
07-05-2009, 09:04 PM

- Scola? Big, big mistake - personally, I was shocked by their decision. But 99% of the Spurs fans were calling Scola a scrub, so that doesn't fly.

- Sometimes you don't have many assets to use. Plus, a FO that's limited by the luxury tax doesn't have as many options as they'd like.

DPG21920
Oh yea, here is a thought....

No Bass or Baby.

Brazil
Blessing in disguise.

You really didn't want a PF that camps on the perimeter and refuses to play in the post. You didn't want a big man that has very pedestrian rebounding numbers. You didn't want a highly skilled player who only wants to put forth effort half the time. You didn't want a head case that's capable of blowing up at any moment. You don't want a key player who shows up to a playoff game 2 minutes before game time, or a guy who lets his team down by fouling out in the last several minutes of a playoff game when you're only down by 3 possessions.

Target Dice. Go after him hard. And get him a ring. His 15 foot jumper is AUTOMATIC. His effort and desire is second to none. He had 29 games this year w/ 10+ rebounds compared to Sheeds 17. He is EXACTLY what you all need.

Get it done Spurs.

Thank you ! good post I feel better now :toast

Spurious
07-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Blessing in disguise.

Get it done Spurs.
I wholeheartedly agree. I've always loved Dice's game and effort and felt bad that he's never won a ring. To have him do it in SA would be all-around perfect for me.

SouthTexasRancher
07-05-2009, 09:06 PM
In the eyes of Pop, R.C. and the assistant coaches, McDyess probably looks better to them with his 110% work ethic in practice and in games. We'd be getting basically a 10ppg/10rpg guy we could always count on. He and Sheed are actually the same height, give or take a nano inch. With Sheed you never know what games he'll show up in. Like Artest it is feast or famine with both those guys and quite possibly Pop doesn't want to take any chances in a Sheed meltdown at some critical point of a game late in the season or the playoffs. After all Sheed has had a bunch of excellent players alongside him and he has only won one Championship and that was with basically a 5 man All Star lineup.

When Chris and Jason (ESPN 1250) asked R.C. about Sheed the other day I got the feeling the Spurs were not real serious about him. Maybe they even told Sheed today they were going in a different direction and have already talked to McDyess or someone else. Maybe even Splitter behind the scenes even though R.C. told C&J there probably wasn't a real good chance of getting him this year but a strong chance next year.

Who ever knows with our Front Office. They'd make great high stake poker players. Tonight it is all speculation on our parts anyway. We could be pleasantly surprised in the next few days.

Texas_Ranger
Maybe they are unwilling to spend the MLE and expect someone will take less money to play for the Spurs.

Yea...They should not spent their money.
Who need's another big, when we already signed Haislip!!:king

JamStone
I think either Sheed or Dyes could have been a good addition for the Spurs for different reasons. Sheed may have not been a savior for the Spurs, but he would have helped a lot, considering what their front court currently is. And, Sheed camping out at the three point line isn't a huge issue on the Spurs because that high-low action with Duncan would be fine actually. Sheed also defends the really big and long centers better than McDyess. Plus, I'm among those who don't think Sheed is washed up. I think he mentally checked out last year. I think he's still very capable of helping a good team.

McDyess gives better effort defensively and on the glass, is a better locker room guy, won't spaz out, and as mentioned can hit an open midrange jumper.

Either guy would upgrade the Spurs front court.

DPG21920
I think that if the Spurs strike out on Sheed, they need to sign the best talent available for the MLE. Then look to make trades for a big man.

mogrovejo
Blessing in disguise.

Get it done Spurs.

I absolutely agree. Have been saying this forever. Ainge should have targeted McDyess first, he's the better player.

I'd hate to see him in Orlando or Cleveland, I hope the Spurs sign him (or, better yet, a non contending team).

urunobili
Blessing in disguise.

Get it done Spurs.

\
Great post :tu

This is the way i have felt throughout this Sheed saga...

And also... we've just passed on a guy that would leave open probably the clutchest playoff performer of all time to shoot a three and lose game 5 of the finals... That kind of players I truly don't wont on my team... go to the all great trash talking squad and i'll enjoy watching you rot...

Spursmania
Blessing in disguise.

Get it done Spurs.

:tu

:pop:=get it done.

picnroll
07-05-2009, 09:08 PM
If there going after Splitter they're definitely going away from the idea of a big with any ability to spread the floor, at least spread it more than five feet from the basket.

DPG21920
:lol at Spurs fans forgetting that Pop is still going to be in France.

florige
I know he's not viewed to highly around here, but I would love if the Spurs could get Wilcox.

+1! He is a athletic and a half. Truthfully I would much rather land Wilcox verses McD. The reason I had for wanting to see Wallace with us verses McD was Sheed's abilty to stretch the floor with his 3 point shooting ability. But the downside to getting him was that was all he seemed to be settling for last season.

Brazil
I just don't care between Dice and Sheed, I had sheed 1st and close 2nd Dice but now if spurs want another ring it must be Dice or Splitter but it's unlikely

ploto
I used to think they wouldn't go over the tax threshold and alter the 2010 plan too.

I know people are sick of me saying it, but would they spend over $10M this season for Rasheed? or McDyess.

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 09:09 PM
I know people are sick of me saying it, but would they spend over $10M this season for Rasheed? or McDyess.

Every thing leads to yes. So once again, if the Spurs use the MLE will you shhhhhhhh?

ChumpDumper
07-05-2009, 09:10 PM
I know people are sick of me saying it, but would they spend over $10M this season for Rasheed? or McDyess.Would they spend ~$16 million on Richard Jefferson?

ploto
07-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Every thing leads to yes.
Nothing leads to yes. Not one report of the Spurs offering anyone the MLE, but they did find a guy for the minimum.

picnroll
07-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Who knows, Maybe they only wanted to give the appearance of going balls to wall to appease the fans and ultimately will say "we just couldn't get the guys we wanted that would be worth spending the money for". We'll have some idea soon enough.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Blessing in disguise.

Get it done Spurs.

I've been saying the same damn thing since the whole "get Sheed!" frenzy started two months ago, only no-one noticed.

Thank you ! good post I feel better now :toast

\
Great post :tu

This is the way i have felt throughout this Sheed saga...

And also... we've just passed on a guy that would leave open probably the clutchest playoff performer of all time to shoot a three and lose game 5 of the finals... That kind of players I truly don't wont on my team... go to the all great trash talking squad and i'll enjoy watching you rot...

No respect. :depressed :lol

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Wilcox? When the season ended, it was obvious Tim needed the most help. There were two glaring holes: SF and C. Center was the bigger hole because of what it meant to Tim.

The Spurs addressed the SF spot but made the Center spot even worse. It is imperative that the Spurs get a defensive minded big that rebounds.

ploto
07-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Would they spend ~$16 million on Richard Jefferson?

When they traded away salary to do it- yes. If they could trade $10M worth of salary for Wallace, then yes.

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Nothing leads to yes. Not one report of the Spurs offering anyone the MLE, but they did find a guy for the minimum.

Yes, logic says they will along with reports from RC saying he has free reign to make this team better. They said they will look to use their MLE and make other trades along with using the draft.

So yes, you are wrong.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
+1! He is a athletic and a half. Truthfully I would much rather land Wilcox verses McD. The reason I had for wanting to see Wallace with us verses McD was Sheed's abilty to stretch the floor with his 3 point shooting ability. But the downside to getting him was that was all he seemed to be settling for last season.

Big no to Wilcox. Sure, he's athletic, but he's also dumb as a post, lazy as a sloth, and plays sub-par defence. He's far enough into his NBA career that you know he isn't going to suddenly blossom into a better player. We'd be better served by Rasho than Wilcox.

VivaPopovich
oh well. rasheed had a lot of baggage anyways, i was surprised pop was pursuing someone with rashee'd volatile history

i'm not sure we need to go after mcdyess or someone else to stay competitive. pop needs to give some of the rooks we got now a chance. george hill didnt get enough PT last season, i'd hate to see that happen again with mahinmi, gist, blair

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 09:15 PM
When they traded away salary to do it- yes. If they could trade $10M worth of salary for Wallace, then yes.

Uh, they took on salary. That "salary they traded away" is gone. RJ is on the books next season. They took that on.

ChumpDumper
07-05-2009, 09:15 PM
When they traded away salary to do it- yes. If they could trade $10M worth of salary for Wallace, then yes.But they got back much more obligation than they traded away, ensuring they would be several million dollars over the tax threshold.

Are you saying you fully expected that?

symple19
07-05-2009, 09:16 PM
just wanted to say that it seems as though the boston/detroit/indiana fans posting here seem to know their stuff. As for laker fans, well...

manu_maniac
07-05-2009, 09:16 PM
McDyess + Haislip = Rasheed - Technicals + Athleticism + Shot Blocking

At basically the same price, we could be in a better situation :tu

urunobili
07-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I don't mind Wilcox as a cheap possibility... We need a big body for the Howard's and Shaq's of the league... Bass isn't as strong as he is...

mardigan
07-05-2009, 09:17 PM
We'd be better served by Rasho than Wilcox.

:lmao

Sii
07-05-2009, 09:19 PM

so your saying the Spurs dont want to spend much this offseason when its clear they a)are going to be OVER the Lux Tax b)took on a Richard Jefferson and its pretty clear they intend to spend MLE money in FA as well?

wtf

Brazil
I've been saying the same damn thing since the whole "get Sheed!" frenzy started two months ago, only no-one noticed.

No respect. :depressed :lol

:lol sorry I'll try to be more attentive next time.

HarlemHeat37
Wilcox would be in Pop's doghouse after 1 game..I don't understand the fascination with guys like him..

florige
07-05-2009, 09:20 PM

Ruff doesn't like Wilcox here with us. :lol I haven't really followed his career since he left Maryland so I'm not familiar with his work ethic at all.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2009, 09:21 PM

Rasho is a better defender than Wilcox, Rasho has a solid midrange game that I'm yet to see from Wilcox, Rasho knows the system and Wilcox is unlikely to ever be able to learn it, Rasho actually busts a gut and Wilcox doesn't.

So how about you explain to me why Wilcox is such a wonderful fit? He's an athlete, nothing more, and the Spurs' system demands more than just athleticism.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2009, 09:22 PM
:lol sorry I'll try to be more attentive next time.

S'ok. ;)

mardigan
Wilcox would be in Pop's doghouse after 1 game..I don't understand the fascination with guys like him..

Talented scorer, pretty damn good rebounder, and he's young.
He's never played with a good team, so I would be curious to see what he could do being in a stable system with great players around him.

mattyc
Not the end of the world. Get Dice.

i'm fine with either sheed or mcdyess. i would have preferred sheed because he would make matt bonner obsolete and is taller to defend gasol. i suspected that sheed may have little less in the tank and that a 2-3 year contract would be unwise. maybe the spurs thought so too. but now, really, it's mcdyess or bust.

baseline bum
07-05-2009, 09:24 PM

Fuck. So Finley's sorry fucking ass ensured the Spurs weren't going to spend the MLE?

urunobili

Wilcox > Thomas > Bonner > Oberto

It ain't no fascination is the hope of an upgrade of someone that may end up beasting if being put in the right situation...

mattyc
Bullshit. McDyess does rebound (9.8 boards per game in 30 mins last year!), and we don't need him to be a weakside shotblocker, that's Tim's job (he still got 0.8 in 30 mins last year). He CAN space the floor as his mid-range game is fantastic, and he's a solid defender. He's 6'9.5" without shoes, 0.25" shorter than Sheed, which makes him 6'11" in shoes. We don't need him to guard 3s, we have other players to do that. And as for his knees, he's adjusted his game since his injuries and seems to be fine. In other words, you don't like McDyess but you also don't know shit about him.
Hear hear!

anakha
He's never played with a good team, so I would be curious to see what he could do being in a stable system with great players around him.

FOs thinking solely on potential is how players like Kwame Brown have stayed in the league so long.

Just saying.

mardigan
Rasho is a better defender than Wilcox, Rasho has a solid midrange game that I'm yet to see from Wilcox, Rasho knows the system and Wilcox is unlikely to ever be able to learn it, Rasho actually busts a gut and Wilcox doesn't.

So how about you explain to me why Wilcox is such a wonderful fit? He's an athlete, nothing more, and the Spurs' system demands more than just athleticism.

I know I know, I just hate Rasho. Sadly, your probably right..............
But Wilcox is still young, and I still believe he could flourish in the right situation.

DPG21920
07-05-2009, 09:25 PM

Fuck. So Finley's sorry fucking ass ensured the Spurs weren't going to spend the MLE?

You are just looking for reasons to rip Finley. How can you pull that from Timvp's statement?

Let it play out.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Ruff doesn't like Wilcox here with us. :lol I haven't really followed his career since he left Maryland so I'm not familiar with his work ethic at all.

Wilcox's work ethic is MIA.

I'm sure anyone who has watched him over the last few years would back that up.

He occasionally produces a highlight reel play, and he had 3 nice seasons for the Sonics in the middle of the decade , but he was in an ideal situation for his talents last year (the Knicks) and bombed. Guy does not work.

baseline bum
07-05-2009, 09:26 PM
In the perfect world Spurs 1st target was McDyess and they were also in contact with Wallace.
Maybe McDyess said yes and Spurs said to Wallace they already have their man

In a perfect world the Celtics would be so enamored with Rasheed that they'd send us Perkins for Mason and matching salary.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2009, 09:27 PM
As Ruff said, Wilcox's problem isn't talent..he's probably one of the top 5 laziest players in the NBA, that's been his rap his entire career..he's a wasted talent..

florige
07-05-2009, 09:28 PM

He occasionally produces a highlight reel play, and he had 3 nice seasons for the Sonics in the middle of the decade , but he was in an ideal situation for his talents last year (the Knicks) and bombed. Guy does not work.

Then you are probably right. Especially with the way Pop tosses people in the doghouse for not working hard enough. Then we will be on here complaining why Pop isn't giving Wilcox any PT. lol I had no idea how he has been producing other than looking at his numbers.

mardigan
07-05-2009, 09:29 PM

Shit dude, I'll back that up. The guy has been lazy as hell, but I think Pop could motivate him. He shouldn't be a main option, which many teams have made the mistake of doing. But as a role player I just think he could flourish. And calling the Knicks an ideal situation for any player is kind of silly.
But I've wanted him on the Spurs for like 3 years, so Im kind of biased.

MarHill
07-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Wilcox? When the season ended, it was obvious Tim needed the most help. There were two glaring holes: SF and C. Center was the bigger hole because of what it meant to Tim.

The Spurs addressed the SF spot but made the Center spot even worse. It is imperative that the Spurs get a defensive minded big that rebounds.

I've been posting that all along!

The Spurs need a defensive-minded big instead of Sheed. That's why I was high on Gortat instead of him.

I was lukewarm about the Spurs signing him. If they did....I could live with it.

Now that he's gone to Boston.....if may work out for him.

I still felt (from everything I've read) that the Spurs were not really interested. RC said on 760 the Ticket after the draft with getting Blair they could be a lot more selective in getting a big.

Then Sheed's agent commented that San Antonio needed to show a little more interest in acquiring his client.

Those two things kind of gave me the impression they were not that interested.

Anyway, let's see what FO comes up with. As fans...we want the FO get a big name so we can brag to Laker fan or Mav fan or Rocket fan about who we could attract to SA.

However, that has been clear opposite of how the FO has done business the last 10 years.

So let see what happens in the next day or so....and I still think team got better, younger, and more athletic in the offseason so far!

:flag:

urunobili
As Ruff said, Wilcox's problem isn't talent..he's probably one of the top 5 laziest players in the NBA, that's been his rap his entire career..he's a wasted talent..

God I'd pay a ticket to see your face if we sign him and end up being HUGE on a ship' run... Crow is better served cold...

anakha
Yea, except Wilcox can at least dribble and catch a ball.

So could Stromile Swift, and that didn't translate into anything either.

I'm not arguing that Wilcox couldn't contribute - just saying that 'what could be' scenarios have rarely worked in favor of any FO taking that chance.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Talented scorer, pretty damn good rebounder, and he's young.

I know I know, I just hate Rasho. Sadly, your probably right..............
But Wilcox is still young, and I still believe he could flourish in the right situation.

See, the thing is, he's not that young any more. Next season will be his 10th!!! That's why I know he's not going to suddenly become a different player. By the 10th season in the NBA, you know what you are getting from a guy.

Don't get me wrong, I hope we do better than Rasho, but I also know that Wilcox isn't the guy.

Yea, except Wilcox can at least dribble and catch a ball.

Agreed on that! :lol

Danny.Zhu
07-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Now Celtics is the best team in the NBA by far...

MarHill
07-05-2009, 09:32 PM

Finley had nothing to with the Spurs' MLE. He had a player option to come back to the Spurs. He was coming back...especially it was his decision not the Spurs.

You're just taking a cheap shot at him!!:bang

mytespurs
07-05-2009, 09:34 PM
Is it a certainty we get McDyess?

Again, I'm not surprised Rasheed went to Boston. Perhaps he figures he has a better shot at winning another ring with the Celtics in the "Leastern" conference vs. the WC.:king

And Boston really wooed him vs the Spurs who didn't seem to show much interest though many says he's a better fit w/the Spurs than the Celts.

MarHill
Now Celtics is the best team in the NBA by far...

Not quite....

even on paper they're not the best team. The Lakers has the best team on paper.

But you don't win anything on paper.........let's see what happens in the next day or so.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
Shit dude, I'll back that up. The guy has been lazy as hell, but I think Pop could motivate him. He shouldn't be a main option, which many teams have made the mistake of doing. But as a role player I just think he could flourish. And calling the Knicks an ideal situation for any player is kind of silly.
But I've wanted him on the Spurs for like 3 years, so Im kind of biased.

Knicks before D'Antoni would have been silly, but Knicks since D'Antoni are on a different path. What I meant was that if he was going to thrive in any system it would have been D'Antoni's, given his athleticism and open-court gifts, but he did nothing.

Anyway, given the Spurs' proclivity for character guys, it's highly unlikely that Wilcox is on their board.