PDA

View Full Version : All these Young Bigs...

BillMc
07-05-2009, 10:26 PM
A lot of us (including me) are disappointed that the Spurs didn't sign Sheed. And for some reason the media doesn't seem to have a word on McDyees and what's going on with him.

While, I would still like a veteran big at the MLE, it will be interesing to see which young big develops. It looks like we're getting the right type: athletic and hungry.

Blair: Dominant, chip on his shoulder.

Gist: Athletic as can be.

Ian: Same as Gist.

Haislip: Well, he's not too young, but he's under 30 and really hungry to get in the NBA. He's got tools galore and a good offense. If he sits down and rebounds and plays D he might be a great find. He's at a good age because he knows this might be his last chance to make the NBA and have a career.

If we were to add Big Baby, welll he might not be hungry (insert weight joke here) but he's got a lot of talent. And he's really young too (but playoff experienced.)

Several of these guys will fail, but if simply one of these guys blossoms into a real starter and another into a rotation player, we'll be getting younger and more athletic fast. While I think the Spurs did/do want the experienced veteran, I think at the same time they're stockpiling young bigs hoping one of them steps up and can play.

And, if we do end up with Big Baby. He and Blair will be some WIDE bodies to test each other and the others in practice. Beware sonic booms when they collide.

Who will step up? I don't know. But it's not as bad a plan as many are saying.

GooberNuts
07-05-2009, 10:29 PM
I agree - you got to look on the bright side of this. The Spurs FO made the RJ trade happen, so I'm sure they've thought through the Bigs situation as well. We can conjecture all we want but we'll really only know how good the Spurs will be once the season starts.

dbestpro
07-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Wallace, Artest, McDyse are all on the down side of their careers and are living off of reputation. Everyone that the Spurs have added are on the upswing of their careers and will only get better.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2009, 10:40 PM
This is meaningless for now..

With the potential of this team, I feel like we can have the best bench in the NBA..it wouldn't surprise me at all..

the problem is that we have a huge hole for our starting big man, and that's going to be a huge part of competing with the Lakers..you can't rely on potential, nothing is a given..

thOOdee
07-05-2009, 11:29 PM
what a s&t for m. gasol...that guy is pretty dominant. anybody think it could be done now w thabeet and zach in the mix

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2009, 11:40 PM
we aren't the Lakers, so we can't actually use Memphis for giveaways..

Tully365
07-05-2009, 11:42 PM
There's still a ton of time left to make moves. There will be summer league rosters to evaluate, the remaining free agents, potential trades with teams that have either signed or lost free agents... it's way too early to say what the final roster will be. What happens if Mahinmi or Gist have good summer leagues and another team comes to the Spurs with a salary slashing offer for a good veteran PF or C in exchange for Mahinmi and Finley? What happens if DeJuan Blair looks like Larry Johnson in his rookie season? This will be the best summer league in a while-- I can't wait to see what Mahinmi, Gist, and Blair do next week...

BillMc
07-05-2009, 11:46 PM
This is meaningless for now..

With the potential of this team, I feel like we can have the best bench in the NBA..it wouldn't surprise me at all..

the problem is that we have a huge hole for our starting big man, and that's going to be a huge part of competing with the Lakers..you can't rely on potential, nothing is a given..

While I agree we have a hole, and as I said in my original post I too would prefer we get an experienced player for the position for the MLE, I do think the FO has to have a longer vision than us Spurs fans who want a quick fix. They wanted to get younger and more athletic, and we've done that. Our starters may be younger than the Lakers now. (I'd have to check that.)

Sheed, etc is a very short term solution. I wanted Sheed too, but we may be surprised how these young guys turn out. We tried to replace Parker with Kid in 2003 and everything has turned out pretty well.