PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: Chasing The Ghost Of Robert Horry

Blackjack
07-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Chasing the Ghost of Robert Horry

The Spurs pursuit, or near pursuit, of Rasheed Wallace was granted Golden Calf status by many team followers, such as myself. Wallace was a good fit, especially because of his ability to defend the block and space the floor.

What we wanted in Rasheed Wallace the Spurs once had in Robert Horry. It’s what the Spurs have looked for in Danny Ferry, Matt Bonner, Anthony Tolliver, James Gist, Austin Croshere and, now, Marcus Haislip. As it turns out, even the twilight years version of Robert Horry is more difficult to replace than any of us imagined.

When the Spurs elected to part ways with Horry, the time had come. They made the right move. During his last year of play, he was a shell of the player he’d been during his penultimate season, another season of noticeable decline. Decline gives way to desertion, and Robert Horry’s game was forsaken by the ravages of age. For all its clever difference, it too went by that very common door.

What is lost in the mythology of Big Shot Rob is what the Spurs currently lack. Above everything else, Robert Horry was an intelligent player. He knew the system. He not only made his defensive rotations, he understood them. He displayed the how and the why. His steadfast commitment to defense was a commitment to the team. And when he spaced the floor, he spaced it with purpose.

I seldom think about his big shots. What I remember about Robert Horry is his willingness to bust ass and seal the baseline. I remember the way he swarmed the pivot whenever Tim Duncan needed help on the block. And, yes, I happily remember the bump heard around the world, the one that crashed Steve Nash into the scorer’s table. The fallout was unfortunate–and I mean that sincerely–but that sort of grit helps to win championships. The more Robert Horry lost himself within the system, the better player he became.

I’m optimistic the Spurs will find a player to approximate Robert Horry’s skill set. But what I want more than anything is a player who understands why his skill set is so vital to the team. I want a player who would kill himself to plug that baseline funnel.

If I wrote an open letter to the Marcus Haislips of Spurs universe it would say this: Get Smart. Commit yourself to the system. Commit yourself to defense. Leave the big shots for the other guys. Good luck.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/07/06/chasing-the-ghost-of-robert-horry/#more-3519

xtremesteven33
07-06-2009, 01:04 PM
I think the Spurs have looked long enough for an Horry replacement. Look for a defensive big.....

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-06-2009, 01:05 PM
:tu Good article.

urunobili
07-06-2009, 01:10 PM
48MOH Rocks :tu

Spurs9
07-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Can we resign horry instead of Davis??

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Nice. :tu

bigdog
07-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Good read.

Spursmania
07-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Great article.

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Horry was my 3rd favorite Spur of all-time, I loved the guy..

I hate when people downplay him, and call him a "lucky" guy that just made some big shots on stacked teams..Robert Horry was one of the best role players of all-time..he wasn't just a guy that made clutch 3s..he played very, very good defense, he brought great intangibles, he spread the floor, he was one of the smartest players in the NBA, and was also one of the toughest..he was the all-around package for a role player..

crc21209
07-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Great read. I'm glad we took the chance on Horry when L.A. considered him dead. I still remember the day the Spurs signed him...I thought "Fuck I can never like Robert Horry!". :lol...And now he's one of my Top 5 favorite Spurs of all-time. He just had IT The man could play D, rebound, set screens, and hit the big time shot. Rob, you are missed. :toast

DBMethos
07-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Loved that sequence in the 2007 series against Denver when Rob hung around the backcourt after a Spurs' made basket, stole a lazy JR Smith pass, then went out to the arc and banged in a 3. Good times.

GSH
07-06-2009, 02:28 PM
But what I want more than anything is a player who understands why his skill set is so vital to the team. I want a player who would kill himself to plug that baseline funnel.

Poetry. They need to copy the article and paste it in a few lockers.

Supergirl
07-06-2009, 02:43 PM
well, and of course Horry was a replacement for D-Rob, the ultimate model for a defensively minded smart big who could rebound.

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Well David was a superstar though, always one of the best players in the NBA..Horry was a role player, which is what we're looking for now..there will never be another David Robinson..

SenorSpur
07-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Good stuff

:tu

timvp
07-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Well done. I think Rasheed was the last hope of getting a true Horry-esque player for this team. Now the best hope is to find a bigman who can close out games so that Pop doesn't have to resort to small ball down the stretch. That's still a difficult task but not as difficult as finding an Horry replacement.

Kamnik
07-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Nice article...

Tully365
07-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Nice article.

I think one of the problems now is the concept that the Spurs need a player with a game similar to Horry's rather than a general level of quality similar to Horry's. The Spurs were great with Duncan & Robinson side by side-- they didn't run into each other & clog up the paint area, because they are both smart players. This fascination with a big who "spreads the floor for Timmy" has reached epic proportions and to me is just not as foolproof a plan as some seem to think.