PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: No Big Baby offer imminent

Kori Ellis
07-06-2009, 09:04 PM
No Big Baby offer imminent
By Jeff McDonald on Jul 6, 09 08:26 PM

Now that Rasheed Wallace has officially taken his name off the free-agent market, the Spurs have begun kicking the tires on other options.

One name that seemed to immediately float to the surface: Boston forward Glen "Big Baby" Davis. This blog goes so far as to say the Spurs are prepared to offer their full mid-level exception to lure Davis to San Antonio.

That report, however, appears to be premature.

Though the Spurs have contacted Davis since free agency began last week, they have yet to discuss an offer with his camp. In addition, the two sides have not talked since Wallace committed to the Celtics on Sunday.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Davis, a restricted free agent, is not particularly close to signing an offer sheet with any team.

It could just be a matter of time. After the Celtics ponied up their full mid-level exception to lure Wallace, it remains to be seen how large of an offer they are willing to match in order to retain Big Baby.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/no-big-baby-off.html

crc21209
07-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Woooooo! :elephant :elephant :elephant. Let's keep it that way! Go get Dice!

timvp
07-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Sweet. Thank the basketball gods.

45 bank shot
07-06-2009, 09:07 PM
temporary relief

Shastafarian
07-06-2009, 09:07 PM
I would feel so much better if this wasn't Jeff McDonald.

45 bank shot
07-06-2009, 09:08 PM

lol, dude might be right this time

Sway
07-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Good news!!!

NewJerSpur
07-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Dice or no Dice (little word-play there, lol) this is good news.

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 09:10 PM
xSoEP1NVmPM

clubalien
07-06-2009, 09:11 PM
his scoop is we aren't signing someone yet... but still nice to hear

timvp
07-06-2009, 09:11 PM
http://www.headinjurytheater.com/images/yk3%20dice%20magic.jpg

Kori Ellis
07-06-2009, 09:12 PM
If they haven't talked to him since Wallace signed, then I'd guess he's not their number 1 priority. :lol I guess everyone should hope that they have been talking to McDyess today and not Bass or (insert whoever else you guys hate today).

Shastafarian
07-06-2009, 09:13 PM
http://www.headinjurytheater.com/images/yk3%20dice%20magic.jpg

Hey, you found a picture of McDonald's writing method! 3 or fewer and we'll guess the Spurs didn't make an offer.

SpursFan0728
07-06-2009, 09:13 PM
good news!

Big baby is not the missing piece to the roster!

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 09:14 PM
I think the Bass camp said the Spurs were not one of the teams linked to him. They listed 5 teams; no Spurs.

So who then? I think everyone hates Baby the most. I don't hate anyone except for him actually. I think some players are better than others, but this is the NBA: No Baby Allowed.

NewJerSpur
07-06-2009, 09:15 PM
If they haven't talked to him since Wallace signed, then I'd guess he's not their number 1 priority. :lol I guess everyone should hope that they have been talking to McDyess today and not Bass or (insert whoever else you guys hate today).

:lol

bishopospurs
07-06-2009, 09:15 PM
this is fun, the possibilities are endless, what will we do when free agency settles down and there is nothing happening till the preseason.

timvp
07-06-2009, 09:16 PM
I really don't want to see who Plan C is in free agency. Just get McDyess to finish this near perfect offseason makeover.

That said, after getting scared with the thought of Big Baby ... Bass suddenly doesn't sound too bad.

Spursmania
xSoEP1NVmPM

DesignatedT
excellent news

fuckin big baby

NewJerSpur
07-06-2009, 09:18 PM
this is fun, the possibilities are endless, what will we do when free agency settles down and there is nothing happening till the preseason.

Favre-watch....I mean, er, NFL preseason. :lol

picnroll
07-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Is Bass an UFA?

timvp
07-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Is Bass an UFA?

Yessir.

Yet another reason why if you are going to go after a stubby power forward, make it Bass.

benefactor
07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Good. It seems like every time I leave the computer to do something else and I come back to refresh the screen I am haunted by the thought of a seeing a "Glen Davis signs with the Spurs" thread.

Sigz
07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
C'mon Splitter!

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Now I would not mind splitting the MLE with a guy like Ike/Rasho/Shelden and Moon. Then the Spurs can pursue a trade.

Blackjack
07-06-2009, 09:24 PM
McDonald put Baby in the corner?

I guess it's not, "No Dice."

Are the Spurs, "Bass fishing?"

Oh, shoot me in the face...

montgod
07-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Sign Ike Diogu. Man is a beast in the low-post at scoring. Perfect 2nd unit bigman

He maybe... but they are still in need of a 1st unit bigman.

Sigz
07-06-2009, 09:27 PM
No Baby?

Fuck. Now I'm going to have to take all of those boxes of kleenex's back.

NewJerSpur
07-06-2009, 09:27 PM

Hard to resist this offseason isn't it? :lol Could've used the guy last year in the playoffs the way he was going off offensively, but he doesn't fill a real need at this point....especially if Blair can shows sign of becoming baby-Brand/Grandmama.

completely deck
07-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Ahahaha timvp was jumping ship, too.

bless1187
07-06-2009, 09:28 PM
man, i really have no idea who Spurs are going to sign: the most logical choices is probably A. McDyess since he's the big that we need & we have tried to sign him in the past; and it seems like he wants to play on a contender.

timvp
07-06-2009, 09:29 PM

Link?

Spurs9
07-06-2009, 09:31 PM
hell yes, fuck that guy who made that rumor on twitter.

ffadicted
07-06-2009, 09:31 PM

Pics or it didn't happen

ploto
07-06-2009, 09:34 PM
That said, after getting scared with the thought of Big Baby ... Bass suddenly doesn't sound too bad.

I recall that when I asked how far down your list you would go with the MLE it included both Davis and Bass. Still feel that way?

timvp
07-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I recall that when I asked how far down your list you would go with the MLE it included both Davis and Bass. Still feel that way?

I believe the question was how many players on the list could command the MLE. I think Big Baby and Bass will likely get near the MLE. I don't think the Spurs should spend the MLE on Big Baby. If they really want to spend the MLE and the options are Bass and Big Baby, I'd go with Bass.

Big Baby for ~$25-28 million isn't a bad buy for a team that needs frontcourt scoring.

DMX7
07-06-2009, 09:38 PM

Haha. I was thinking the same thing.

spursnatic
07-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Good and I hope it stays that way?....I swear if they give that sorry fuck the MLE I will shoot myself?..Fuck, we could probably get AI and Marion for that, the way this off-season has been going so far?....Not that I would really want them?...But atleast they both can score and one can defend!!!...

timvp
07-06-2009, 09:40 PM
I feel somewhat confident about this info from McDonald. It appears as he's pretty certain.

Then again, Boston signed Rasheed about an hour after McDonald confirmed the pending visit :lol

Spurtacus
07-06-2009, 09:42 PM
This is either good news OR CIA Pop.

completely deck
07-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Link?

Okay well the use of:

:smchode: :smchode: :smchode: :smchode: :smchode: :smchode: :smchode:

This is the same guy who broke the Rasheed news.

Then the next couple of posts you post comical stats that made Bonner better than him on paper.

THEN you compared Bonner to David Robinson

Bonner on the glass looks like David Robinson compared to this guy :depressed

I'd say that's pretty inane. Or insane. Or both.

Relax, timvp. You freaked out over a twitter post all over your forum. Don't worry about it. Compared to KBP, you're allllright.

SenorSpur
07-06-2009, 09:44 PM
The preferred choice has got to be Dice.

ivanfromwestwood
07-06-2009, 09:45 PM

vciEDI3dD8I

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Well I am just going to assume McDyess is the number one option. If not, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

timvp
07-06-2009, 09:48 PM
completely deck needs to hit a dictionary to figure out what jumping ship means. If you are saying timvp was concerned about the prospects of the Spurs blowing their MLE on Big Baby, then he is guilty. And I doubt he was alone or continues to be alone.

And yes, statistically you can compare Big Baby to Bonner as being close to Bonner to David Robinson.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Well I am just going to assume McDyess is the number one option. If not, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I would like to think that too. But I'm shocked that they are talking to guys like Big Baby and Bass ... so who knows. :lol They could be talking to guys we'd never expect.

timvp
07-06-2009, 09:52 PM
This reminds me a little bit of the summer of 2001. Everyone thought the Spurs were busy trying to hammer out a deal with Derek Anderson. Instead, the Spurs were behind the scenes offering huge contracts to Michael Finley and Doug Christie.

This type of awkward inactivity usually means the Spurs are trying something weird behind the scenes.

Guess we'll find out.

tav1
I really don't want to see who Plan C is in free agency. Just get McDyess to finish this near perfect offseason makeover.

The offseason makeover would be perfect if we head into camp with McDyess and a solid idea of who is replacing Finley behind Richard Jefferson. Maybe that answer comes through summer league or maybe the Spurs make a trade, but if the Spurs can fill those minutes with a dynamic player, then it will have been a perfect offseason.

One issue at a time.

DPG21920
I would like to think that too. But I'm shocked that they are talking to guys like Big Baby and Bass ... so who knows. :lol They could be talking to guys we'd never expect.

Well the last two reports to come out on Bass/Baby have said the Spurs are really not talking to them as much as was once believed. The Bass camp flat out did not mention the Spurs when listing teams that have spoken with him and now this article came out saying the Spurs have not spoken with Baby since Sheed decided.

So I do not know what to think at this point.

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 09:53 PM

:lol Like a man named Haislip?

tav1
07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
:lol Like a man named Haislip?

Ha!

Or a draft pick named Ian...

GSH
07-06-2009, 09:57 PM
This reminds me a little bit of the summer of 2001. Everyone thought the Spurs were busy trying to hammer out a deal with Derek Anderson. Instead, the Spurs were behind the scenes offering huge contracts to Michael Finley and Doug Christie.

This type of awkward inactivity usually means the Spurs are trying something weird behind the scenes.

Guess we'll find out.

You guys will all poop if the Spurs make the trade for Joel Przybilla. Then they'll be free to sign Marion for the MLE, and every team in the league will have Silver and Black nightmares.

completely deck
07-06-2009, 09:58 PM
completely deck needs to hit a dictionary to figure out what jumping ship means. If you are saying timvp was concerned about the prospects of the Spurs blowing their MLE on Big Baby, then he is guilty. And I doubt he was alone or continues to be alone.

And yes, statistically you can compare Big Baby to Bonner as being close to Bonner to David Robinson.

k man. Whatever you say. :toast

Love you anyway :lol

tomtom
07-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Large sighs of relief .

johnnyblues
07-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Screw Dice! Let's go Zaza!:downspin:

Russ
07-06-2009, 10:07 PM
... so who knows. :lol They could be talking to guys we'd never expect.

Even by Spurs standards, this off-season sets the record for secrecy and surpise.

No one knew about RJ until it was done.

No one expected the Blair draft (although that was as much other teams' negligence).

No one can even be sure of the level of interest in Wallace.

Nothing would surprise me at this point. (And whatever it is could happen at any time.)

Taking it to the Hole
07-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Kinda strange that we haven't heard anything about Zaza?? :wow I would think Zaza would be ahead of Bass & Davis on the list of potential big men assuming we don't lure Dice away from Detroit.

GSH
07-06-2009, 10:11 PM
BTW - the Spurs need to hurry up and commit to whether they will sign Big Baby or not. Krispy Kreme has to make some hiring decisions.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2009, 10:17 PM
How surprising it is to be right about that one.

And what an arsehole I must be for pointing it out.

See, this is what happens in a world of news outlets that take Twitter to be fact.

Mr. Body
Kinda strange that we haven't heard anything about Zaza?? :wow I would think Zaza would be ahead of Bass & Davis on the list of potential big men assuming we don't lure Dice away from Detroit.

I'd guess it's because no one thinks much of Pachulia.

DPG21920
Let it go. More ego stroking.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-06-2009, 10:21 PM

Come on LJ... Pop is stepping off that plane at SA International in a couple of days with Tiago in tote...

timvp
07-06-2009, 10:21 PM

See, this is what happens in a world of news outlets that take Twitter to be fact.

How is this any more concrete than the original report? McDonald's source is someone near Davis -- not the Spurs or any other team.

They are about equal in believability. One sourced info isn't very credible one way or another. McDonald's last inside info was that Rasheed was coming for a visit.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2009, 10:24 PM

NO ONE took it as fact. I think you are actually delusional at this point about this topic. People were discussing the POSSIBILITY, not as a fact.

bigdog
07-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Sweet baby Jesus, thank you for this news. Please let Dice, Zaza, and even Bass be ahead of Big Dumbass Davis on the list.

timvp
07-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Come on LJ... Pop is stepping off that plane at SA International in a couple of days with Tiago in tote...

Wonder how much it cost to get a mariachi band to Spain.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Let it go. More ego stroking.

No, go fuck yourself toolio.

All I was trying to point out the entire time was that it was an extremely unreliable report based on the Twit conjecture of one Boston insider with no reach in the Spurs' organisation, and I got pilloried for it.

I was also trying to make a broader point about a society in which communication has degraded to the lowest common denominator to the point that people believe 160 character opinion grabs which signify nothing, but you willfully ignored that and instead furthered your personal vendettra against me by cherry picking my words and playing dishonest rhetorical games.

So no, you can go fuck yourself.

Kori Ellis
07-06-2009, 10:27 PM

Well, Pop should be bringing someone back from Europe with him, since he's there playing with Tony in the middle of free agency.

bigdog
07-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Wonder how much it cost to get a mariachi band to Spain.

As long as it doesn't cost as much as these idiots paid at Mi Tierra the other night because they were too drunk to realize they had to pay the mariachis :lol Those dumbasses ended up paying at least half a grand on mariachis alone.

Mr. Body
07-06-2009, 10:28 PM
I'd take Big Baby over Zaza, if anyone's asking.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2009, 10:29 PM

NO ONE took it as fact. I think you are actually delusional at this point about this topic. People were discussing the POSSIBILITY, not as a fact.

If you'd read the thread again you'd see that the vast majority of posters in the thread WERE taking it as fact, which I pointed out a number of times.

Anyway, I don't want to get into this with you. Life's too short.

Fine, I'm a delusional fuckwit. Maybe it's the fever I've been running, who knows.

Peace to all on earth.

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 10:29 PM
No, go fuck yourself toolio.

All I was trying to point out the entire time was that it was an extremely unreliable report based on the Twit conjecture of one Boston insider with no reach in the Spurs' organisation, and I got pilloried for it.

I was also trying to make a broader point about a society in which communication has degraded to the lowest common denominator to the point that people believe 160 character opinion grabs which signify nothing, but you willfully ignored that and instead furthered your personal vendettra against me by cherry picking my words and playing dishonest rhetorical games.

So no, you can go fuck yourself.

Thought I was on your ignore? You just sound pathetic coming at me because my name is not Kori or Timvp. They said the same thing, but you cannot go off on them because you are a douche. Grow up and quit being a smug prick and maybe people will like you.

LMAO at personal vendetta against you? I hardly ever talk to you.

ElNono
07-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Everybody take a deep breath... exhale...

Brazil
As expected or wished Big bab

Brazil
is not the plan B

Blackjack
07-06-2009, 10:32 PM
You guys will all poop if the Spurs make the trade for Joel Przybilla. Then they'll be free to sign Marion for the MLE, and every team in the league will have Silver and Black nightmares.

OHHHH NO

There goes San An-ton-io

Here comes Pryzbilla!:hat

mytespurs

I'm with you Timvp! McDyess may not be the prom queen per se but still a viable option.

timvp
All I was trying to point out the entire time was that it was an extremely unreliable report based on the Twit conjecture of one Boston insider with no reach in the Spurs' organisation, and I got pilloried for it. McDonald doesn't seem to be getting his info from the Spurs. Reading between the lines, it sounds like his info is from Davis' agent. The Spurs wouldn't know if Davis has received offers.

Either way, let's hope McDonald is accurate this time. Big Baby to SA never made sense :toast

Kori Ellis
If you'd read the thread again you'd see that the vast majority of posters in the thread WERE taking it as fact, which I pointed out a number of times.

Fine, I'm a delusional fuckwit. Maybe it's the fever I've been running, who knows.

Peace to all on earth.

No, they weren't taking it as fact. No one was. They were discussing it as a possibility. You just used the thread to go on a condescending rant about how Twitter and anyone who uses Twitter and anyone who believes anything on Twitter is beneath you. Whether you like it or not, the NBA, every news outlet in the country, and pretty much every major corporation uses Twitter to communicate things that are going on in the world and their organizations. Is a lot of it crap? Sure. But it's a big part of news communication now. And the guy who tweeted it didn't just tweet it, he wrote it in his blog... just like this blog of McDonald's (which you are now believing).

Spur|n|Austin
Favre-watch....I mean, er, NFL preseason. :lol

:lol No joke!

completely deck
07-06-2009, 10:33 PM

Peace to all on earth.

Farewell, young delusional fuckwit soldier http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6331/emotsalute.gifhttp://img6.imageshack.us/i/emotsalute.gifhttp://img6.imageshack.us/i/emotsalute.gif/

rayray2k8
07-06-2009, 10:34 PM
... Thanks god. -_-

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2009, 10:35 PM
How is this any more concrete than the original report? McDonald's source is someone near Davis -- not the Spurs or any other team.

They are about equal in believability. One sourced info isn't very credible one way or another. McDonald's last inside info was that Rasheed was coming for a visit.

I don't want to argue with you LJ, but this is far more credible. In the original report, the twit used clever weasel words (eg. "could") to trick the reader into believing there was more to it, when actually all he had information on was that the Celtics wouldn't match the MLE.

By contract in this report McDonald actually asserts some things as fact (see emboldened):

"Now that Rasheed Wallace has officially taken his name off the free-agent market, the Spurs have begun kicking the tires on other options.

One name that seemed to immediately float to the surface: Boston forward Glen "Big Baby" Davis. This blog goes so far as to say the Spurs are prepared to offer their full mid-level exception to lure Davis to San Antonio.

That report, however, appears to be premature.

Though the Spurs have contacted Davis since free agency began last week, they have yet to discuss an offer with his camp. In addition, the two sides have not talked since Wallace committed to the Celtics on Sunday.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Davis, a restricted free agent, is not particularly close to signing an offer sheet with any team.

It could just be a matter of time. After the Celtics ponied up their full mid-level exception to lure Wallace, it remains to be seen how large of an offer they are willing to match in order to retain Big Baby."

I will agree that there isn't much more to it, but those facts are important if you are talking about negotiation.

Anyway, I'll leave it alone. What's the point?

Kori Ellis
07-06-2009, 10:35 PM
What's funny is McDonald says that the Spurs haven't talked to Big Baby since (at least) Sunday... that was just yesterday. :lol

NewJerSpur
07-06-2009, 10:36 PM
:lol No joke!

Isn't everyone. Btw, when he signs, that thread might have a chance to go 60 pages.

bigdog
07-06-2009, 10:37 PM
What's funny is McDonald says that the Spurs haven't talked to Big Baby since (at least) Sunday... that was just yesterday. :lol

:lol I didn't catch that. This might be a normal McDonald article after all!

Blackjack
07-06-2009, 10:39 PM

You can't blame him.

I mean, as much time as I spend on this board and all the speculation/news that I come across, it just seems like a day ago is a lot longer.:lol

timvp
07-06-2009, 10:40 PM
It could just be a matter of time. That is the sentence in the article I didn't like . . .

bigdog
What sucks for me is that I don't have anything to do for the next few days, so it's going to seem like FOREVER till Wednesday. I'm anxious to see which players sign on Wednesday.

Kori Ellis
:lol I didn't catch that. This might be a normal McDonald article after all!

Yeah at first I read it as if they hadn't been talking to him since early last week. But then I realized what he wrote.

Either way, I don't care if Big Baby comes or not... I'd prefer if he does, it's not for the full MLE though.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
Thought I was on your ignore? You just sound pathetic coming at me because my name is not Kori or Timvp. They said the same thing, but you cannot go off on them because you are a douche. Grow up and quit being a smug prick and maybe people will like you.

LMAO at personal vendetta against you? I hardly ever talk to you.

Yes, I avoid you too because I know there's no use trying to talk to you - you're such a snake that you take phrases out of context and use strawman arguments to try to make others look bad.

No, I don't go off on Kori and LJ because they are reasonable people who make decent posts. You, OTOH, cherry pick and twist people's words and are a wolf-insheep's-clothing scumbag. You pretend to be all meek and mild, but you aren't, you're a backstabbing opportuinist.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2009, 10:41 PM
That is the sentence in the article I didn't like . . .

It has "could" in it... he's just speculating... ;) :lmao

timvp
07-06-2009, 10:45 PM
It has "could" in it... he's just speculating... ;) :lmao

:lol Let's hope that's McDonald speculating and not Davis' agent speculating.

Blackjack
07-06-2009, 10:46 PM
That is the sentence in the article I didn't like . . .

That sounding to me, as someone just trying to cover their ass if he should happen to sign.

It doesn't sound, at least to me, that he's got any kind of information from a Spurs standpoint.

I'm guessing he heard something from a colleague up in Boston,(probably indirectly) or he just contacted Baby's agent.

timvp
07-06-2009, 10:48 PM
It doesn't sound, at least to me, that he's got any kind of information from a Spurs standpoint.

I'm guessing he heard something from a colleague up in Boston,(probably indirectly) or he just contacted Baby's agent.

True. It sounds like Big Baby's agent or someone else close to Big Baby's camp.

The only thing that might have come from the Spurs so far this season was the Haislip news ... but even that could have been via Haislip's agent.

Blackjack
07-06-2009, 10:53 PM
True. It sounds like Big Baby's agent or someone else close to Big Baby's camp.

The only thing that might have come from the Spurs so far this season was the Haislip news ... but even that could have been via Haislip's agent.

Agree.

I think it's pretty safe to assume had Bruno not posted the Haislip news, McDonald might still be in the dark.

Spurs Talk seems to be his setup-man, and he tries not to be Mesa.:hat

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-06-2009, 10:55 PM
:lol Let's hope that's McDonald speculating and not Davis' agent speculating.

Indeed.

VivaPopovich
07-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Big Baby needs to lose Big weight before putting on a Spurs jersey

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Yes, I avoid you too because I know there's no use trying to talk to you - you're such a snake that you take phrases out of context and use strawman arguments to try to make others look bad.

No, I don't go off on Kori and LJ because they are reasonable people who make decent posts. You, OTOH, cherry pick and twist people's words and are a wolf-insheep's-clothing scumbag. You pretend to be all meek and mild, but you aren't, you're a backstabbing opportuinist.

Ya, that is why you see people calling me out like they do you. You mad? I don't see anyone jumping on your side? If people thought this about me, no one would respond. I have many friends on the board. People are however confirming everything I and others have said about you. You are showing your true colors :tu

Did Kori and Timvp do the malicious twisting and contorting of your words as well? Because they thought the same exact thing as I did.

Quit being an emo little girl and grow up.

You were just being a jerk and people called you out on it. Not a big deal. There was nothing malicious there. You just got your feelings hurt. Eveyone who says something stupid or acts like a jerk gets flamed (when TPark says stuff sometimes...), you are not above it.

But once again, I am done with you for the evening unless you want to discuss basketball.

GSH
07-06-2009, 11:12 PM

In the un-edited version of the story, he mentioned that the Spurs were not allowed to talk to Jefferson until the end of the moratorium period, on July 4.:tongue

Blackjack
07-06-2009, 11:17 PM
(Not really sure this should have it's own thread)

No Room for Error

After rumors surfaced yesterday evening that the Spurs are potentially interested in Glen Davis, I came to an anxiety-induced realization: In the 2009 offseason arms race, there is no room for error.

Just to be clear, I don’t believe the Spurs are going to sign Davis: In DeJuan Blair we already have a stronger, longer, and I believe fundamentally more talented version of Davis. The rumor is probably just an attempt by Davis’ agent to net his client a larger contract. If a team as savvy as the Spurs is interested, shouldn’t you be too?

That being said, in some people’s opinion, acquiring Davis would not be a disaster. But at this point, the Spurs aren’t trying to avoid disasters: We are trying to build a championship roster. If we spend a significant percentage of our MLE on a player who can’t rebound and can’t defend elite big men, we will be a significant step behind next season’s contenders.

At this point, five organizations have fully committed themselves to the 2010 title hunt: Boston, Cleveland, Los Angeles, Orlando, and San Antonio. On the edge of this group lurks Portland, who still has the financial flexibility to acquire a player that takes them to the next level (although the amount of players who have the talent to do so is rapidly growing smaller). Despite the moves we’ve already made this offseason, I still think the Spurs, as currently composed, are only the 5th best team in the league.

Consider that. This roster, which is probably the most talented roster we have had since 2006, is still surpassed by 4 other franchises. That’s why this Davis rumor is so much more severe than it may appear. Davis is a fine player: a relatively average role player who can be relied upon to hit big shots in big games. A team could do worse. But at this point, the Spurs have specific needs, needs that must be met if we intend to win a fifth ring. And Davis, however likeable he may be, does not fulfill those needs.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/07/06/no-room-for-error/#more-3528

Pretty much exactly what I felt and posted after hearing the Davis rumors, let's just hope that's what they remain...

Rumors.

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Nice article and sums it up perfectly. The plan is not to get marginally better, it is to have a legit shot to win. Win or lose, you have to give the team a fighting chance. The Spurs are on their way to doing so :tu

Blackjack
07-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Nice article and sums it up perfectly. The plan is not to get marginally better, it is to have a legit shot to win. Win or lose, you have to give the team a fighting chance. The Spurs are on their way to doing so :tu

Should I have pm'ed that also?:lol

DPG21920
07-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Should I have pm'ed that also?:lol

No need my friend. It twas a rare lapse in judgement for the man.

Ice009
07-06-2009, 11:51 PM
hmm is this Mo Williams twitter page really his http://twitter.com/THE_MO_WILLIAMS

It says the Cavs are still talking to Antonio McDyess.

Budkin
07-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Go away large child.

DPG21920
07-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Lets hope the Spurs surprise everyone. They do not need to get cute, just find someone to help Tim and defend.

scottspurs
07-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Lets hope the Spurs surprise everyone. They do not need to get cute, just find someone to help Tim and defend.

I think were all in for a suprise come wednsday.:stirpot:

Avitus1
07-07-2009, 12:39 AM
Thank God... keep Big Baby away from the team.

Spurs Brazil
07-07-2009, 05:25 AM
Good news and props to McDonalds for finally come with some info

DBMethos
07-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Well, barring any news that we've signed Dice or traded for Camby, this is pretty much the best story I could have woken up to today. :toast

Bruno
07-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Notice that McDonald has added a sentence since the blog entry posted in the first post of this thread :

It the meantime, the Spurs appear intent on saving their MLE to pursue the player who appears to be their top remaining free-agent target -- Detroit forward Antonio McDyess -- before pledging it elsewhere.

Ryvin1
07-07-2009, 07:40 AM
Notice that McDonald has added a sentence since the blog entry posted in the first post of this thread :

Guess that trys to say Dice was target #1 for the spurs huh? I think that could be possible.

CGD
07-07-2009, 08:46 AM
I hope Dice comes through. I've been trying to find a positive in a potential move for Davis and am really having to stretch.

I think I would prefer Oberto back before signing Davis (or Frye for that matter). As I've posted multiple times in the past, I think the Spurs should really consider the other Celtic RFA, Leon Powe, before Davis.

montgod
07-07-2009, 08:50 AM
I hope Dice comes through. I've been trying to find a positive in a potential move for Davis and am really having to stretch.

I think I would prefer Oberto back before signing Davis (or Frye for that matter). As I've posted multiple times in the past, I think the Spurs should really consider the other Celtic RFA, Leon Powe, before Davis.

Powe won't be available till Feb of next year.

arodz
07-07-2009, 10:07 AM

Couldn't agree more. Davis only seemed to play well when KG was all up in his ass. We don't do that shit here. Plus, I woudn't want a guy on my team who cries on the bench.

ploto
07-07-2009, 02:10 PM
McDonald only said the Spurs APPEAR to be doing something- he has no inside info.