PDA

View Full Version : Basketball Beyond Borders (4 Spurs involved)

TMTTRIO
04-04-2005, 11:19 PM
I ran into this and it looks like 4 of our guys are participating in it this summer :elephant .

Camby and numerous other NBA players are scheduled to take part in four "Basketball Without Borders" camps this summer, including the first visit to Asia. "Basketball Without Borders" is an instructional camp for young men in three continents that promotes leadership, education, sportsmanship and healthy living.

Featuring the top players from each region, the camps will take place in Buenos Aires, Argentina, from June 30-July 4; Beijing from July 14-17; Treviso, Italy, from July 28-31 and Johannesburg, South Africa, Sept. 7-12.

Former and current NBA players, coaches and scouts will be the camp coaches. The NBA is expected to make a formal announcement soon.

"I'm excited," Camby said. "I want to experience it. It will be an opportunity of a lifetime. It's been a trip that I've wanted to do. Also, I get to incorporate kids in it."

"Basketball Without Borders" began in 2001 with one camp in Italy. Nuggets international scout Massai Ujiri has been involved in the South Africa camp the past two years and plans to return this year. Camby said Ujiri played a strong role in his decision to go to Africa this year.

"Massai sold me on it," said Camby, an African-American who plans to make a European trip after leaving Africa. "The NBA sent me a videotape of the guys back there working the camp. I also want to go to Africa, 'The Motherland,' a place where you can see where your ancestors are from and work with kids."

NBA players expected to join Camby in South Africa include Shane Battier (Memphis), Chris Bosh (Toronto), Luol Deng (Chicago), DeSagana Diop (Cleveland), Drew Gooden (Cleveland), Andre Iguodala (Philadelphia), Richard Jefferson (New Jersey), Maciej Lampe (New Orleans), Mike Miller (Memphis), Didier Ilunga-Mbenga (Dallas), Dikembe Mutombo (Houston), Steve Nash (Phoenix), Beno Udrih (San Antonio) and former NBA player Jay Williams.

Nuggets forward Eduardo Najera is scheduled to go to Argentina, but isn't certain he will be able to attend. He attended the camp in Brazil last year and brought two kids from Mexico with him. Whether he is there or not, Najera hopes to get eight kids from Mexico into the Argentina camp.

"I want to do it in Mexico," said Najera, who is from Chihuahua, Mexico. "I talked to a few people from the NBA about it. A nice place would be Cancun."

NBA players scheduled to travel to Argentina include Mutombo, Samuel Dalembert (Philadelphia), Carlos Delfino (Detroit), Manu Ginobili (San Antonio), Kirk Hinrich (Chicago) and Andres Nocioni (Chicago).

NBA players expected to go to China include Dalembert, Yao Ming (Houston), Dan Dickau (New Orleans), Ha Seung-Jin (Portland), Kyle Korver (Philadelphia), Bostjan Nachbar (New Orleans), Tony Parker (San Antonio), Bobby Simmons (Los Angeles Clippers), Etan Thomas (Washington) and former Nugget Mengke Bateer.

NBA players scheduled to go to Italy include Bruce Bowen (San Antonio), Primoz Brezec (Charlotte), Gordan Giricek (Utah), Andrei Kirilenko (Utah), Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas) and Zaza Pachulia (Milwaukee).

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36%7E90%7E2796077,00.html

Kori Ellis
04-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Malik was involved with this last summer and said it was incredible experience. It's pretty cool that the four Spurs are getting involved this summer.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Malik was involved with this last summer and said it was incredible experience. It's pretty cool that the four Spurs are getting involved this summer.
Not that cool, considering Manu needs his rest, and I'm guessing Parker needs his too. Its nice, but not practical.

kolko
04-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Great! Many players coming to Buenos Aires!

Frenchise player
04-05-2005, 04:47 AM
Parker is going to China??
Well, he said he would go to promote himself and get some of the china's vote for ASG, but I never thought he will really do it.

xcoriate
04-05-2005, 05:15 AM
Well, he said he would go to promote himself and get some of the china's vote for ASG, but I never thought he will really do it.

:lmao Tony is collecting all-star votes for next year already.

Its like a campaign

Vote 1 Tony Parker

Someone needs to go and be his publicist

SLOVENIAN 8
04-05-2005, 05:17 AM
I saw in some TV show that Rasho will be here in Slovenia ljubljana on some Street basketball competition, becouse he is a part of some organisation.

Slomo
04-05-2005, 05:24 AM
Not that cool, considering Manu needs his rest, and I'm guessing Parker needs his too. Its nice, but not practical.
I do not think that this kind of activities would actually prevent them to get rest. Plus I think that Manu would have travelled to Argentina anyway during the off season.

MaNuMaNiAc
04-05-2005, 06:11 AM
I do not think that this kind of activities would actually prevent them to get rest. Plus I think that Manu would have travelled to Argentina anyway during the off season.
yeah, but not to do PR. Either way its only for a few days

Slomo
04-05-2005, 06:56 AM
yeah, but not to do PR. Either way its only for a few days
Although I agree with you, I would just like to add that to the kids that they are visiting (in South Africa, for example) this is not PR. For them it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet NBA players and from what I remember from last year, they are genuinely excited about it.

Of course the NBA will milk it to its max effect but it's a small price to pay for bringing a little joy in some remote part of this world.

boutons
04-05-2005, 07:23 AM
"Manu needs his rest"

How does our "chronic fatigue syndrome" player avoid getting rest by participating in coaching clinics for kids for a few days?

Kori Ellis
04-05-2005, 10:48 AM

So, did you think they were going to lay in their beds all summer?

Manu will probably be in Argentina anyway. And isn't Parker playing for the French National Team this summer? So he won't be resting.

zeleni
04-05-2005, 11:04 AM
4 of 5 Slovenes on this shit.

Does that mean all of the players are decided to underachieve in Eurobasket Championship in Belgrade? Udrih will not play under certain conditions, but now: no one cannot play two seasons without a stop. Injuries are just waiting for us.

:(

Why your superstars do not go around? Why not Garnett, Shaq, Kobe, Wade, LeBron (hell Carmelo, Vince Carter, McGrady, Prince,Wallace, Billups, Iverson) go abroad, and Bowen stay sleeping at home? That is just not fair. Your best players are players with least responsibilities to your flag and to the game itself. Having best defensive guy (there is no doubt in my mind) walking around is just saying World does not know defence, so we show working man's dream: Star-beater! Sissy basketball-man! Demolition game master! Decadence wizard!
With all the respect, do Americans even want this kind of tourist basketball? You seem to be the least enthusiastic about it.

How come no stars? Manu, Beno are slaving as national sport stars, your stars are instead moneymakers.

Kori Ellis
04-05-2005, 11:05 AM
4 of 5 Slovenes on this shit.

Does that mean all of the players are decided to underachieve in Eurobasket Championship in Belgrade? Udrih will not play under certain conditions, but now: no one cannot play two seasons without a stop. Injuries are just waiting for us.

:(

Why your superstars do not go around. Why not Garnett, Shaq, Kobe abroad, a Bowen sleeping at home? That is just not fair. Your best players are players with least responsibilities to your flag and to the game itself. How come?

The players choose to go. They aren't forced to go.

zeleni
04-05-2005, 11:30 AM
force?

But Force is within all of us. ;)

Has € and $ corrupted the Force?

TMTTRIO
04-05-2005, 11:50 AM
I think it's awesome that a lot of our players are doing it. I can see Bowen trying to teach his stifling defense to others :). It'll be interesting to see Tony in China. I also remember Manu saying at the beginning of the year he wanted to set something up and do some kind of basketball clinic in his country. I actually think it's great that Manu's going to do it. It's only a couple days and it's not like he's going to have to put in a lot of work like he had to for the olympics.