PDA

View Full Version : "If this team has a rebounder, then there's your championship."

mando6599
07-07-2009, 11:30 AM
Pretty bold and astounding quote from Mr. Blair. I love his attitude! Can't wait till the SL starts.

mando

DBMethos
07-07-2009, 11:32 AM
I want to see him eat Pau Gasol. Straight up eat him.

bigdog
07-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I hope Blair pushes that pussy Gasol around and owns him in every possible way.

rjv
07-07-2009, 11:35 AM
i'd be happy if he just broke a couple of el charmin's ribs

Muser
07-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Love his confidence, now he just needs to bring the pain.

GSH
07-07-2009, 11:43 AM
He should probably play a few minutes of pro ball before making statements like that. I like his confidence, too. But in the NBA, ALL the other guys are good. I think he just showed is age a little there.

weebo
07-07-2009, 11:44 AM
don't be stupid. this team needs more than a rebounder.

sam1617
07-07-2009, 11:45 AM
He should probably play a few minutes of pro ball before making statements like that. I like his confidence, too. But in the NBA, ALL the other guys are good. I think he just showed is age a little there.

I think his statement is fairly accurate though. You gotta have confidence to play the game, and I don't have any issue with a statement like that.

scottspurs
07-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Blair is the Best,
He will beat the West,
Blair is a Beast,
He will take the Spurs to face the East,
Blair is nice and strong and round,
and he can get the mighty rebound,
Blair is not afraid of the Giants with alot of meat,
did you see him slay Hasheem Thabeat,
Blair may not have ACLs,
but do not fear game winners he nails,
Blair will wear #45,
and some day be on the cover of NBA Live,
Blair is driven to prove wrong those who doubt,
he will be taking the Championship route.

ohmwrecker
07-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Give the kid a break. He's hungry. He has got the fire that Mario Elie used to talk about. This team actually needs a young kid with big brass balls. Why is everyone so GD negative all the time?

Danny.Zhu
07-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Can he block?

Rummpd
07-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Balls of steel!
Man of danger!
Born to be an Army Ranger!

Mr. Blair (if he had ACLSs) wouldhave been a great Ranger (from a past Army doc who trained with them.) Love his attitude!

This guy sounds like Malik Rose with talent.

DBMethos
07-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Give the kid a break. He's hungry. He has got the fire that Mario Elie used to talk about. This team actually needs a young kid with big brass balls. Why is everyone so GD negative all the time?

I agree. He seems like the perfect guy to come in and light a fire under the team's ass and prevent them from getting lazy and complacent.

loveforthegame
07-07-2009, 11:56 AM
I like his attitude. Nothing wrong with being hungry.

Mavs<Spurs
07-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I love his statement !

And I think he's pretty much right on !

:flag:

Duncan2177
07-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Pretty bold and astounding quote from Mr. Blair. I love his attitude! Can't wait till the SL starts.

mando

If this team has a rebounder, then there's your championship? Are you kidding dude? The spurs need more than rebounding, We need a center

z0sa
07-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Let's go to war.

:tu:tu

loveforthegame
07-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Well, rebounding wasn't the only problem we had last year but it was a big problem. Blair should definitely help in that department.

z0sa
07-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Also guys, he's a second round pick. He's making pre-SL/training camp impressions on the coaching staff :wakeup

Mr. Body
07-07-2009, 12:04 PM
This dude is going to struggle with the height of a lot of NBAers. And he will no longer be the strongest guy around. I do think he'll be a good bench player, but don't get carried away.

scottspurs
07-07-2009, 12:05 PM
Blair is not tall,
but he will own them all,
Blair has great reach,
from beach to beach,
What do I smell,
Artest in Jail,
Blair is from Pitt,
therefore he has wit,
Blair was drafted at #37,
and the Spurs were in heaven,
If only now the spurs sign Dice,
the FO will be like a grain of rice,
In the shadows RC hides,
taking us fans for lots of rides,
Soon Pop will return from France,
and know the Spurs have a chance,
In the end other fans beware,
because we have Dejuan Blair.

tp2021
07-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Also guys, he's a second round pick. He's making pre-SL/training camp impressions on the coaching staff :wakeup

He's a second-round pick because we lucked out. He's lottery-level talent.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
07-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Blair is not tall,
but he will own them all,
Blair has great reach,
from beach to beach,
What do I smell,
Artest in Jail,
Blair is from Pitt,
therefore he has wit,
Blair was drafted at #37,
and the Spurs were in heaven,
If only now the spurs sign Dice,
the FO will be like a grain of rice,
In the shadows RC hides,
taking us fans for lots of rides,
Soon Pop will return from France,
and know the Spurs have a chance,
In the end other fans beware,
because we have Dejuan Blair.

wtf do you mean the "FO will be like a grain of rice" lol

nkdlunch
07-07-2009, 12:15 PM

:tu

nkdlunch
07-07-2009, 12:18 PM
This dude is going to struggle with the height of a lot of NBAers. And he will no longer be the strongest guy around. I do think he'll be a good bench player, but don't get carried away.

he will struggle. no doubt. But not due to his strength. He is probably already one of the strongest bigmen in the league. did you even see him throw Thabet like a ragdoll?

IMO he will mostly struggle with fouls. dude will get a lot of them

Marcus Bryant
07-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Let's go to war.

tp2021
07-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Let's go to war.

Ime would certainly be useful then

hater
07-07-2009, 12:24 PM
that's a pretty stupid thing to say

xtremesteven33
07-07-2009, 12:26 PM
I cant wait to see this forums reaction once Pop benches Blair for missing a defensive rotation.....:lol

scottspurs
07-07-2009, 12:30 PM
wtf do you mean the "FO will be like a grain of rice" lol

The FO is like a grain of rice you see,
if only you'd listen to me,
It's like the parable of the musturd seed,
Faith so small you heed,
Though the FO may be small,
they always know who to call,
The FO always overcomes,
all these many stupid bums,
They choose not to come to SA,
though it is the only way,
Instead they go to Bean Town,
Seduced by the weak,
going where they already reached their peak,
Here in SA there is only one way,
Say it LOUD AND PROUD we say,
GO SPURS GO.

tp2021
07-07-2009, 12:40 PM
The FO is like a grain of rice you see,
if only you'd listen to me,
It's like the parable of the musturd seed,
Faith so small you heed,
Though the FO may be small,
they always know who to call,
The FO always overcomes,
all these many stupid bums,
They choose not to come to SA,
though it is the only way,
Instead they go to Bean Town,
Seduced by the weak,
going where they already reached their peak,
Here in SA there is only one way,
Say it LOUD AND PROUD we say,
GO SPURS GO.

Rappin' Shaq?

scottspurs
07-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Rappin' Shaq?

Don't worry about the one they call Shaq,
He can't stay away from a snack,
300, 400+ is he,
Blair will take him to one knee.

completely deck
07-07-2009, 12:47 PM

Oh please, then he'll just do his he-man grunt/yell that he uses even when no one's around him.

*backs down, dribbles a few times..defender pulls the chair..*
*EUUUURGHHH!!*

DMX7
07-07-2009, 12:47 PM

mando

Where did you hear this?

scottspurs
07-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Where did you hear this?

Article on MYSA. here is the link.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_rookie_grateful_for_knee-jerk_reaction.html

Bruno
07-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Blair will also need to play decent defense to be useful. Being a great rebounder isn't enough.

z0sa
07-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Blair will also need to play decent defense to be useful. Being a great rebounder isn't enough.

I'm not worried about him playing "decent" defense, not at this point. Besides being a fiery kinda guy, He's got a chip on his shoulder and the ability to continue improving. Some time in the system+his personality/skillset we desperately need should guarantee him a "decent" degree of success on both ends.

However, without another marquee C, I can see your point. He may need to step up more than he can imagine if we want another title.

DPG21920
07-07-2009, 01:04 PM
The Grinch?

Spursmania
07-07-2009, 01:25 PM
What amazed me the most about Blair was his win record. Buford talked about in the presser. It was 116-15. He has always been in a winning situation. Buford emphasized the record was especially remarkable because he's played on some of the best teams in high school and college and was a significant contributor.

Go figure the guy is confident. I don't mind that at all.:toast

SonOfAGun
07-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Could this be the passionate big man the Spurs have so desperately needed for the last decade...

GSH
07-07-2009, 03:48 PM
I cant wait to see this forums reaction once Pop benches Blair for missing a defensive rotation.....:lol

Heh... exactly.

Hell, I love the attitude. And I hope he's such a badass that he backs it up from the very first day. I just think that even though he's out of college, his education is just about to begin.

The big thing is that I don't think comments like that will serve him well with Pop. I think Gooden hurt his chances with Pop with a couple of comments, right after he got here. The comments didn't bother me, but I got the feeling that Pop didn't care for them. I could be wrong, but that's the way it looked at the time. I just want to see him on the court, kicking ass.

boutons_deux
07-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Kneeze of Cheeze

2Cleva
07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
"Punks jump up to get beat down."

Spursfan092120
07-07-2009, 09:21 PM
"Punks jump up to get beat down."
lol Vujacic

poeticism707
07-07-2009, 09:21 PM

mando

That is pretty bold.

If he is able to deliver his duties, very good rebounding, solid post and help defense, coupled with another big, it's very probable.

Here's hoping you deliver, Dejaun!:toast

Spursfan092120
07-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Is this the guy with no knee caps were talking about here?
nope..his knee caps are just fine.

Ace9
07-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Stop with the Blair eating up Gasol stuff. Hopefully in the future, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Gasol is 20x better than Blair, overall. But here's hoping Blair eats up the boards when facing Gasol and everyone else! :)

Rummpd
This guy is exactly what Spurs need!

poeticism707

He's about right: if the Spurs get Dice for example, and Dejaun does his part, then the Spurs are stacked. Then it's up to the Spurs to get it done.

poeticism707
07-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Don't worry about the one they call Shaq,
He can't stay away from a snack,
300, 400+ is he,
Blair will take him to one knee.
:king

picnroll
07-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Blair will keep Bynum from getting anything close to low post position. Bynum better extend his range.

anakha
07-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Is this the guy with no knee caps were talking about here?

nope..his knee caps are just fine.

Lakerfan here needs a refresher course in anatomy. :lol

poeticism707
07-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Blair will keep Bynum from getting anything close to low post position. Bynum better extend his range.

Great point: strong, heavy defenders are VERY DIFFICULT TO BACK DOWN: which means though taller defenders can shoot over the top, it usually be in the range or distance they are comfortable with.

That's a very underrated skill.

picnroll
07-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Great point: strong, heavy defenders are VERY DIFFICULT TO BACK DOWN: which means though taller defenders can shoot over the top, it usually be in the range or distance they are comfortable with.

That's a very underrated skill.

Not only shoot over them but adjust to being "nudged" backwards as thy take the shot. In the 2006 playoffs Malone "nudged" Duncan three feet backward pretending that he was releasing to go up court on the shot. Now it'll be Bynum's turn.

poeticism707
07-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Not only shoot over them but adjust to being "nudged" backwards as thy take the shot. In the 2006 playoffs Malone "nudged" Duncan three feet backward pretending that he was releasing to go up court on the shot. Now it'll be Bynum's turn.

If Blair could somehow develop the Malone's "tricks" (not the dirty ones), and get the same allowance from the Officials, the Spurs would sweep the Lakers by a double digit average per game.

Certainly, that's too much to hope for.

But here's hopin'!:toast

implacable44
07-07-2009, 10:14 PM
If Blair could somehow develop the Malone's "tricks" (not the dirty ones), and get the same allowance from the Officials, the Spurs would sweep the Lakers by a double digit average per game.

Certainly, that's too much to hope for.

But here's hopin'!:toast

the spurs will not sweep the lakers. no way - no how and i hate the lakers but you have to maintain a littlel intellectual honesty - blair will not make that much of a difference.. i love his heart and his game .. he was a steal.. his knees hold up and he will be solid. but with Artest - the Spurs are SOL. not a prayer. Not unless they sign another big.

Agloco
07-07-2009, 10:32 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/got_big_balls_womens_t_shirt-p235123178136632755u7rc_400.jpg

poeticism707
07-07-2009, 10:37 PM
the spurs will not sweep the lakers. no way - no how and i hate the lakers but you have to maintain a littlel intellectual honesty - blair will not make that much of a difference.. i love his heart and his game .. he was a steal.. his knees hold up and he will be solid. but with Artest - the Spurs are SOL. not a prayer. Not unless they sign another big.

If you read my post, then you would see the liklihood of Blair getting the same "allowances" from the officials as Malone is about as likely as hitting the lottery.

I said I was hoping: I didn't say I was holding my breath.

HarlemHeat37
07-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Gotta love the confidence and swag here..he just has to stay healthy, and he'll back it up, at least IMO..

Spurs9
07-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I can't wait for him to play. I'm estatic we were able to land him.:downspin:

peskypesky
07-08-2009, 01:44 AM
Blair will push Gasol around like a rag doll.

VivaPopovich
07-08-2009, 01:48 AM

mando

agreed. grab some rebounds Blair, we're all cheering for you, especially on the offensive end

get out Bonner

peskypesky
07-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Could this be the passionate big man the Spurs have so desperately needed for the last decade...

:hungry:

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 02:24 AM
agreed. grab some rebounds Blair, we're all cheering for you, especially on the offensive end

get out Bonner
:lol

Man, people seriously don't like Bonner!

Poor guy!

Yuixafun
07-08-2009, 02:25 AM
What a charming thing to say.

A vision, statement of action and an indirect promise.

He's not bragging at all.

VivaPopovich
07-08-2009, 02:28 AM

Man, people seriously don't like Bonner!

Poor guy!

it aint nothing personal. but Spurs basketball stands for TOUGHNESS

how in the HELL can you go from David Robinson, Malik Rose, Kevin Willis, Nazr Mohammed to Matt Bonner

it was embarrassing to watch. if pop keeps him PLAY HIM AT SF, PLEASE. he does have potential at that spot. the few times he did make plays with the ball dribbling in were effective, he just didnt do it too often. that's not really what a pf/c is suppose to do anyways

raspsa
07-08-2009, 02:35 AM
I think it's something you'd expect a rookie to say. The guy speaks his mind (ie. his open admiration for Phil Jackson) but I hope he doesn't make it a habit.. the press will lap it up and even encourage him and sooner or later he will put his foot in his mouth.. hope not.I think its just a matter of time before he starts picking up the low-key way of doing things.

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 02:42 AM
it aint nothing personal. but Spurs basketball stands for TOUGHNESS

how in the HELL can you go from David Robinson, Malik Rose, Kevin Willis, Nazr Mohammed to Matt Bonner

it was embarrassing to watch. if pop keeps him PLAY HIM AT SF, PLEASE. he does have potential at that spot. the few times he did make plays with the ball dribbling in were effective, he just didnt do it too often. that's not really what a pf/c is suppose to do anyways

It's been all DOWNHILL since the admiral, literally!

Yuixafun
07-08-2009, 02:49 AM
I think its just a matter of time before he starts picking up the low-key way of doing things.

Timmy should invite Blair home to stay.

He could even show him how to shave like Dave did Tim.

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 02:50 AM
Timmy should invite Blair home to stay.

He could even show him how to shave like Dave did Tim.

qiuyizeng
07-08-2009, 02:52 AM
gasol is a straight up pussy!

Spursfan092120
07-08-2009, 02:53 AM
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/images/2009/02/06/pau_gasol_and_leon_wood_2.jpg

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 02:55 AM
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/images/2009/02/06/pau_gasol_and_leon_wood_2.jpg

Gasol looks like he's about to throw that ref into the stands.

If that isn't a tech and a suspension, I don't what is.

Laker treatment at it's finest.