PDA

View Full Version : Could be the best thing to happen to the Spurs!!

howbouthemspurs
04-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Losing Tim Duncan and Devin Brown for the rest of the season could be the best thing to happen for the spurs!!
It gets the best player on the team and the best bench player both well rested before the Playoffs.

They both will be ready and they both will be fresh and at their best through out the postseason.

Spurs Champs 2004-2005

T Park
04-05-2005, 12:44 AM
Uh, they arent our for the reast of the REGULAR season.

Devin maybe, Duncan no.

gospursgojas
04-05-2005, 12:47 AM
even before the injury Timmy had been resting...look for him to come back strong

kskonn
04-05-2005, 12:47 AM
Losing Tim Duncan and Devin Brown for the rest of the season could be the best thing to happen for the spurs!!
It gets the best player on the team and the best bench player both well rested before the Playoffs.

They both will be ready and they both will be fresh and at their best through out the postseason.

Spurs Champs 2004-2005

I don't agree that devin is the best bench player. Maybe the best energizer off of the bench.

gospursgojas
04-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Barry may be the best skilled overall, but Devin is soon to be the best

howbouthemspurs
04-05-2005, 12:51 AM
I don't agree that devin is the best bench player. Maybe the best energizer off of the bench.

I think Devin makes the best use of his minutes while hes on the floor.

kskonn
04-05-2005, 12:52 AM
I think Devin makes the best use of his minutes while hes on the floor.

I agree with that, I just think that Barry makes the spurs an overall better team when he on the floor. I think Devin makes his position better but not the whole team. He will soon though if he keeps developing like he has been.

T Park
04-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Nice post Kskonn

i agree with that.

Barry is a better overall player and makes the TEAM better, but Brown plays the POSITION better, but isnt as good a team player.

Its kinda screwy sometimes.

gospursgojas
04-05-2005, 12:56 AM
What are you talking about ..... I said barry was the better overall player
:):):)

kskonn
04-05-2005, 12:58 AM

Not sure what you are refering to. I was commenting on "howboutthemspurs" comment. but if you did say that about barry then I agree with you.

kskonn
04-05-2005, 01:00 AM

Ok I got it. yea you did say that, but you didn't explain why. get into some detail, share your opinion. It makes for better discussions.

howbouthemspurs
04-05-2005, 01:01 AM
If Barry hits most of his 3's in the playoffs I will change my position on who is the best bench player, but for now im going with my hometown guy.

kskonn
04-05-2005, 01:04 AM
If Barry hits most of his 3's in the playoffs I will change my position on who is the best bench player, but for now im going with my hometown guy.

everyone always judges barry on his threes. I look at his +/- his is much better than devins. He brings more things to the table. Hell Devin has had his best games when he spent most his minutes with Barry.

howbouthemspurs
04-05-2005, 01:17 AM
everyone always judges barry on his threes. I look at his +/- his is much better than devins. He brings more things to the table. Hell Devin has had his best games when he spent most his minutes with Barry.

Dont get me wrong. I love Barry, and when he gets totaly used to the spurs system then he'll be incredible.
Devin is more experienced in the spurs style of play.
But it looks like Barry in these last few games has almost a total understanding in the system.

kskonn
04-05-2005, 01:20 AM
Dont get me wrong. I love Barry, and when he gets totaly used to the spurs system then he'll be incredible.
Devin is more experienced in the spurs style of play.
But it looks like Barry in these last few games has almost a total understanding in the system.

Yea I agree that Devin knows the system a little better, However he can not run the offense. Barry has the ability to run the offense and has done a great job of it when he has had the chance. If Barry continues to play like he has then I think you bring Devin in only for energy moments and when you need a stronger defender. Other than that I feel you have to keep Barry on the floor whenever you can. He makes things happen.

kskonn
04-05-2005, 01:21 AM
I also think that if Devin comes back healthy then him and Barry need to be on the floor at the same time. That is when Devin is most succesfull. It would also get Ginobli some much needed rest.

howbouthemspurs
04-05-2005, 01:37 AM
I also think that if Devin comes back healthy then him and Barry need to be on the floor at the same time. That is when Devin is most succesfull. It would also get Ginobli some much needed rest.

Now this is what I totaly agree with..............some one coming off the bench for ginobili that still has the same intensity on the floor is Devin's fortei and someone that creates plays for everybody is Barry's.

T Park
04-05-2005, 01:38 AM
I judge Barry on his outside shooting because, that was what he was brought in for.

IMO, for the most part, hes been dissapointing, but, Im happy that hes picking it up.

I just hope it doesnt take someone pissing him off to make him play good.

gospursgojas
04-05-2005, 01:41 AM
Outside shooting was ONE of the things he was brought here for

kskonn
04-05-2005, 01:42 AM
I judge Barry on his outside shooting because, that was what he was brought in for.

IMO, for the most part, hes been dissapointing, but, Im happy that hes picking it up.

I just hope it doesnt take someone pissing him off to make him play good.

We should send him any number of the Barry suck s forums before every game, get him good and pissed off before every game.

Seriously though, now that he has his confidence, and more importantly the spurs have confidence in him , he will play much better. Pop (hopefully) won't be so quick to yank him.

I personally feel that after watching his game over the last few that he has to do all of those other things to get him self going. He is the ultimate example of having to work himself into the flow of the game.

T Park
04-05-2005, 01:51 AM
He is, IMO like Steve Smith in his shooting, in that, he needs a couple of short shots, maybe a couple of free throws, to get him warmed up, then his outside shot seems to fall really well.

I totally wouldn't be opposed to running some pick and rolls for short jumpers and drives to the basket.

BUT, if he goes to the basket, SHOOT THE DAMN BALL< DONT PASS OUT!!!

Thats the the only thing that will piss me off about him.

T Park
04-05-2005, 01:53 AM
Outside shooting was ONE of the things he was brought here for

Your right.

It was number ONE on the list of to bring him here.

Number 2 was he had point guard ability, but since Beno is playing OK, you dont need him for number 2, so once again, number 1 thing he was brought here for is brought back into the equation.

kskonn
04-05-2005, 01:54 AM
H
BUT, if he goes to the basket, SHOOT THE DAMN BALL< DONT PASS OUT!!!

Thats the the only thing that will piss me off about him.

Yea especially with his leaping and finishing ability. I get so pissed when he does that. That is when I usually start scaring the people around me a the game with my screaming.

Extra Stout
04-05-2005, 09:26 AM
So what if Tim is "rested" when he comes back? I'd rather have a fatigued Tim than one with no explosiveness who is at half-efficiency in the post because of a weak, heavily taped ankle. And that's the best case. Tim will play in whatever condition he's in as long as he can, but he's not going to play like Tim Duncan again until next season.

Ishta
04-05-2005, 09:44 AM
So what if Tim is "rested" when he comes back? I'd rather have a fatigued Tim than one with no explosiveness who is at half-efficiency in the post because of a weak, heavily taped ankle. And that's the best case. Tim will play in whatever condition he's in as long as he can, but he's not going to play like Tim Duncan again until next season.

That's positive thinking.......... NOT

However I think automatically assuming he will be only back at half strength is stretching it a bit. Best case scenario he will come back when he is able to be explosive, and play with the same intensity that we are used to. We are not the trainers, or the Dr's, and therefore really can't "assume" anything. Just need to wait and see.

Jimcs50
04-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Well, as I said a couple of weeks ago, I would rather have Spurs get 2 seed anyway, and had TD not been hurt, they would have been 1 seed for sure....so this glass is half full outlook has some merit.

The main concern is, the ankle is weak, and he is one misstep away from ending his season and the Spurs' season as well. We will all be wary of any time TD grimaces just a little bit on that ankle, all playoffs long.

It is great that Rasho and Barry have stepped up, but I would still rather have TD 100% on that right ankle than have a new and improved Brent Barry and Rasho.

BigVee
04-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Thinking that these injuries could be the best thing that could happen is convoluted at best. It is a terrible thing to happen at this stage of the season. How could this be good? The Spurs are losing HC overall, have their other "star" players wearing themselves out trying to tread water while TD is out, and having other teams gaining confidence. The best thing would be everyone healthy, getting rest because of blowing teams out in the fourth quarter. This definitely not good no matter how anyone tries to spin it.

Ishta
04-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Thinking that these injuries could be the best thing that could happen is convoluted at best. It is a terrible thing to happen at this stage of the season. How could this be good? The Spurs are losing HC overall, have their other "star" players wearing themselves out trying to tread water while TD is out, and having other teams gaining confidence. The best thing would be everyone healthy, getting rest because of blowing teams out in the fourth quarter. This definitely not good no matter how anyone tries to spin it.
Well said.. We need HCA our record as of date shows we're not too great"on the road" to put it loosely.. Injuries are never a "good thing" and to think in that way is crazy. Manu is out there killing himself... NOT GOOD...NOT GOOD:depressed

howbouthemspurs
04-05-2005, 08:54 PM

I think this could be the best thing to happen to the spurs because the injury even to Tim is not that serious (nothin broke!!). And at this stage of the season, havin some time to rest while mending your wounds before the playoffs start is a good advantage to have. Devin Brown even looks better!!!.

I say let the other teams gain confidence that they're beating a team that dosent have their star player on the floor. That dosnt mean anything.The smart teams know that.

Everyone is going to be healthy when the playoffs start and the inTIMidation of knowing that Duncan is on the floor and ready is going to be in the back of every opponent's mind.

The spurs will sweep the playoffs!!!!

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Uh, they arent our for the reast of the REGULAR season.

WTF? I think Jim injected TPark's keyboard with some Novocain!! :lol

kskonn
04-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Well said.. We need HCA our record as of date shows we're not too great"on the road" to put it loosely.. Injuries are never a "good thing" and to think in that way is crazy. Manu is out there killing himself... NOT GOOD...NOT GOOD:depressed

The spurs still win more on the road than they loose. They have the ability to win on the road. By the logic being presented Phoenix should want to lose HCA since they have a worse home record than they do road record.

say let the other teams gain confidence that they're beating a team that dosent have their star player on the floor. That dosnt mean anything.The smart teams know that

It is not the smart teams that worry me. It is the young stupid ones that do not know any better. I. E. Denver, Phoenix Etc...