PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Gortat?

fitzgerald
07-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Just wondering if you guys think this guy can play? He seems to be awfully athletic for a big guy. Not another big stiff. Have only seem him play so little that I honestly don't know if he can play.

iggypop123
07-07-2009, 04:13 PM
could become another jerome james or diop. does nothing for 5 million

Shank
07-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Everyone is Nostradamus when it comes to this guy.

Allanon
07-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Gortat's a solid role player. I don't think he's a starting Center but still one of the best backups.

Bob Lanier
07-07-2009, 05:31 PM
More productive than the wunderkind Bynum, judging by history.

sook
07-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Diop 2.0

I don't get how you guys manage to overpay just about e very player on your roster

Shank
07-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Diop 2.0

I don't get how you guys manage to overpay just about e very player on your roster

And you'd be taking this same stance if Morey had lured him to Houston? Bullshit.

Amarelooms
07-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Diop 2.0

LOL...what a moron. Houston would kill to have him. Mavs are gonna own you guys just like the Spurs :elephant

The Franchise
07-07-2009, 06:18 PM
And you'd be taking this same stance if Morey had lured him to Houston? Bullshit.

We would be happy to have him, just not for the money Dallas is investing. You guys got a good player though.

Ghazi
07-07-2009, 06:37 PM
There is no validity in comparing him to Diop. He may not live up to his contract but that comparison is just weak.

kamikazi_player
07-07-2009, 09:50 PM
There is no validity in comparing him to Diop. He may not live up to his contract but that comparison is just weak.
He's better than Diop, but i think they need him coming off the bench. All the pressures on him starting next season if Dampier starts disappearing again.

ElNono
07-07-2009, 09:50 PM
You don't wanna know...

just kidding :lol

Kai
07-07-2009, 10:43 PM

The reason Morey didn't lure him to Houston is because we didn't offer him more than he's worth.

NewJerSpur
07-07-2009, 10:59 PM
I wanted the Spurs to sign him.

SouthTexasRancher
07-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Just wondering if you guys think this guy can play? He seems to be awfully athletic for a big guy. Not another big stiff. Have only seem him play so little that I honestly don't know if he can play.

The Second Coming of the Spurs Dwayne Schintzius.
tic

Def Rowe
07-07-2009, 11:12 PM
I think he's a serviceable back up center. He'll make some low post shots, but he'll also miss some gimme's trying to do to much off the dribble.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2009, 11:18 PM
I think he's gonna be a very good rebounder, shot blocker and give you some points without having plays drawn up for him. If he keeps playing hard he should easily earn that contract.

Findog
07-07-2009, 11:22 PM
I think he's gonna be a very good rebounder, shot blocker and give you some points without having plays drawn up for him. If he keeps playing hard he should easily earn that contract.

I do too. He's coming off essentially his rookie season. And he's got the work ethic, going from D-League to leapfrogging Foyle for the backup job. I don't see him as a contract year ho.

Obstructed_View
07-07-2009, 11:24 PM
I do too. He's coming off essentially his rookie season. And he's got the work ethic, going from D-League to leapfrogging Foyle for the backup job. I don't see him as a contract year ho.

That's the only danger. People saying he's a backup are borderline retarded, considering the person he was backing up all this time.

Culburn369
07-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Diop 2.0

Muhahahaha! The Sooker faced ya up & just busted yer ass to the rim.

Findog
07-07-2009, 11:29 PM
That's the only danger. People saying he's a backup are borderline retarded, considering the person he was backing up all this time.

Dale Ellis once backed up Mark Aguirre and Rolando Blackman. Gortat could start for a # of teams.

rayray2k8
07-07-2009, 11:31 PM
He's gonna get over payed.

Ditty
07-07-2009, 11:49 PM
LOL...what a moron. Houston would kill to have him. Mavs are gonna own you guys just like the Spurs :elephant

:lol thinking your better because you go against injured teams

gortat is good

im not on his nuts like the other spurs fans wanted him he will be a good role player with the mavs (if orlando dosent match)

but one think i noticed about him is that he stuggles with players that are more athletic that him,and gortat is pretty decent athlete for his size he moves pretty quick, but i still think dampier might be a better defensive player(one on one) at this moment than him just becuase dampier is much stronger and physical than gortat...gortat might improve on his defense if avery was there i dont know how much carlisle focuses on defense...he will be a lead leader blocker

gortat will become a 6 point/9 rebounds/3 blocked shots guy for the rest of his carreer might have a 10+ rebound season here and there

good pickup for the mavs if he signs, and he willl earn his pay

Spurs9
07-08-2009, 12:11 AM
Comparing Gorat to Diop is a dumb comparison. I'd much rather have Gortat.

timvp
07-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Gortat will be good for the Mavs. He can basically play the same exact role he played on the Magic. He doesn't have to worry about spacing or improving his jumper -- the two main question marks around him.

I don't see how he could fail unless he suddenly just stops trying or his basketball IQ is absurdly low.

VivaPopovich
07-08-2009, 12:27 AM
great utility player like david lee only much stronger. much similar to lee in what he brings. he's a great addition when you already have a good core, but you cant expect him to contribute enough to be part of that core

21_Blessings
07-08-2009, 04:08 AM
Poor man's Eric Dampier with much worse offense.

Findog
07-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Poor man's Eric Dampier with much worse offense.

Do you ever watch any fucking basketball?

Thompson
07-08-2009, 07:48 AM
I've seen very little of him, but what I have seen has impressed me. He's not much offensively, but he really goes after the boards and played good defense against Pau and others.

If the Spurs land McDyess I would be a little surprised if Orlando doesn't match his offer sheet.

Shank
07-08-2009, 08:09 AM
If the Spurs land McDyess I would be a little surprised if Orlando doesn't match his offer sheet.

I think they push hard for their next coveted piece in Brandon Bass. He'd come cheaper and they wouldn't have to commit to the same number of years as with Gortat.

Shank
07-08-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm worried about Smith saying he'll wait this thing out the full 7 days.

ginobili's bald spot
07-08-2009, 08:47 AM
People who are ripping Gortat and saying that he is way overpaid don't know what they are talking about. He's big and hustles his ass off and is athletic. Big men don't come cheap in the first place and there aren't a lot who have those attributes. The comparisons to Diop and dampier have no basis in reality.

stretch
07-08-2009, 08:51 AM
for people who focus on him only putting up around 4 and 4.5... that was in 12 minutes of action per night. bump that up to 30 minutes, and hes putting up a double double. thats not bad at all. the guy hustles, plays very good defense, and has solid fundamentals.

Findog
07-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Otis Smith is quoted in the Orlando paper yesterday as saying they won't match an offer that pays him $5 mil or more per year. And the Mavs gave him the full MLE.

Shank
07-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Otis Smith is quoted in the Orlando paper yesterday as saying they won't match an offer that pays him $5 mil or more per year. And the Mavs gave him the full MLE.

But then he came out this morning and said he'd be willing to wait the full 7 days to see how the market shakes out. They're also high on Bass and could pull a dick move in matching Gortat if Bass takes the Mavs offer.

Shank
07-08-2009, 08:59 AM
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090708/SPORTS16/907080311/1002/SPORTS/Magic+GM+will+take+his+time+with+Gortat

Shank
07-08-2009, 09:01 AM
I guess the problem with the Magic is they only have to much to spend and now have a number of roster spots to fill. Knowing that, they really couldn't go after either McDyess or Gortat with the full amount of the MLE. They'll need to grab at least 2 guys for that amount. If Bass is looking for anything over 4 million, that hurts the Magic's chances as well.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 10:48 AM
People who are ripping Gortat and saying that he is way overpaid don't know what they are talking about. He's big and hustles his ass off and is athletic. Big men don't come cheap in the first place and there aren't a lot who have those attributes. The comparisons to Diop and dampier have no basis in reality.

Comparing him to Damp in his contract year (when he was pretty darn good) isn't that far off. Nobody could have predicted that he'd go on vacation for the remainder of his career once he got paid. Again, that's really the only risk Dallas takes in this.

ginobili's bald spot
07-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Comparing him to Damp in his contract year (when he was pretty darn good) isn't that far off. Nobody could have predicted that he'd go on vacation for the remainder of his career once he got paid. Again, that's really the only risk Dallas takes in this.

No it's a dumb ass comparison because dampier got a 73 million dollar fucking contract and will be making 12 million dollars next year. Dampier had a long career and history of NOT doing what he did in his contract year so there was EVERY indication that he wouldn't continue to play like that. That is in no way shape or form comparable to a guy just coming into the league getting a freakin mid level exception contract.

sribb43
07-08-2009, 11:08 AM
But then he came out this morning and said he'd be willing to wait the full 7 days to see how the market shakes out. They're also high on Bass and could pull a dick move in matching Gortat if Bass takes the Mavs offer.

I think Orlando is bitter at the Mavs for offering him the full MLE and will make them wait it out even though they have no intention to match

Shank
07-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I think Orlando is bitter at the Mavs for offering him the full MLE and will make them wait it out even though they have no intention to match

That's fine. But they know the longer they wait themselves, the more guys they're going to miss out on.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 11:14 AM
No it's a dumb ass comparison because dampier got a 73 million dollar fucking contract and will be making 12 million dollars next year. Dampier had a long career and history of NOT doing what he did in his contract year so there was EVERY indication that he wouldn't continue to play like that. That is in no way shape or form comparable to a guy just coming into the league getting a freakin mid level exception contract.

I think you need to go back and read my post again, princess. There's every indication Gortat can produce like Damp did in his contract year but far less risk that he's going to go into a coma like Damp did, both financially and historically. I don't think we're disagreeing.

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 11:16 AM

Every smart team does that. Locking up Dallas' money allows Orlando to take a competitor for the other bigs out of commission. It has nothing to do with bitterness.

Why So Serious
07-08-2009, 11:37 AM
3 ppg over rated.