PDA

View Full Version : Ariza regrets letting David Lee (his Agent) run the negotiations?

Allanon
07-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Apologize if this was posted already, but Trevor Ariza was on the 570 KLAC show today. I listened to it and read about it on the LATimes blog.

I always felt this was an agent negotiation gone badly wrong with the sudden availability of Ron Artest. Hearing Trevor's lack of enthusiasm pretty much confirms that staying with the Lakers was his first choice at the MLE. David Lee seriously F'ed up.

Some quotes from the blog that really sums it up since I'm too lazy to write my own material.

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2009/07/trevor-ariza-interview-on-570-klac.html#more

Trevor gave no indication of having spoken directly with Kupchak (Lakers GM) at any point. Thus, Lee was the one keeping him in the loop and attempting to make the exact opposite route of Trevor's first choice sound palatable and/or necessary.
Ariza didn't sound thrilled about leaving the Lakers. As he acknowledged, "what kid from L.A. would want to leave L.A.?" TA also lamented having "no control over that."
When asked about Lee's handling of his business, Ariza expressed more loyalty than praise for a job well done. He also acknowledged that the Lakers don't particularly like Lee, unless I misinterpreted the following comment: "If I was to stay there, (the Lakers) would still feel the same way about him."
Lee looked to gain leverage through meetings with other teams and the Lakers, knowing Ron Artest was available and interested, decided to cut bait and to the chase. Without question, I was surprised events unfolded so quickly, but in retrospect, it makes sense. Lee's jabbering to the media with July 1st barely in the books felt unusually over the top. It also signaled a hassle in the works.
Lee botched the task of getting what Ariza wanted, which, in its own right, is kind of impressive, considering the mutual interest expressed by the Lakers and Ariza in continuing a relationship. That talks broke off so abruptly and acrimoniously feels like a sign that Trevor should look elsewhere for representation.

IronMexican
07-07-2009, 04:32 PM
He was on 570 yesterday, not today.

crc21209
07-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Oh well...thats the risk you take in picking any agent...good or bad.

Allanon
07-07-2009, 04:34 PM
He was on 570 yesterday, not today.

My bad, I meant the blog I stole this from was from today.

Culburn369
07-07-2009, 04:38 PM
The Lakers whacked him out. They'd cast their lot with Artest.

It's nothing personal. It's business.

BlackSwordsMan
07-07-2009, 04:45 PM
have fun in houston bitch

rayray2k8
07-07-2009, 04:47 PM
He should have said something to his agent, but it sounds like Laker fans are more satisfied with the signing of Artest.

djohn2oo8
07-07-2009, 05:08 PM
He should have called Buss. All the players have this guys cell number. I remember A-Rods agent fucking up his deal with the Yankees, and A-Rod called the owner and wound up getting more money, while his agent was trying to get him to leave town for less.

Some of these agents let their egos get in the way of their jobs. Trevor left as a champ to join a lottery team that is in full blown rebuild mode.

Just a one year rebuild

Culburn369
07-07-2009, 05:09 PM
He ain't signed on the line which is dotted. He should swallow his vanity, fly to CA. and make his case.

- "Make sure you're right...then go ahead."

- Davy Crockett

djohn2oo8
07-07-2009, 05:10 PM
He ain't signed on the line which is dotted. He should swallow his vanity, fly to CA. and make his case.

- "Make sure you're right...then go ahead."

- Davy Crockett

He already bought plane tickets to Houston

djohn2oo8
07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Im not knocking on the Rockets. That team made moves, just unfortunate ones. Who would have thought Yao, Mac, and Franchise would have went down in their prime. And they still played like champs. They have to dump Yao and Mac to get back in the game.

Amen! This year for them is all about developing the young guys while tryin to stay competitive, while preparing for 2010, as will everyone else. McGrady is done in Houston, they are just waiting on a deal that doesn't have them taking back pure garbage. I think that Yao is done regardless of the course of action he takes.

The Franchise
07-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I listened to this yesterday on Clutchfans. He did sound dissapointed, but it was because LA never offered him any type of deal because they knew they were going to sign Artest. His agent never fucked up like some of you have been saying. The organization never intended to sign him once they knew Ron was available, but they could have at least told him that. :lol As Ariza said before they didn't show him any type of respect. But it's business. :flipoff

Allanon
07-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I listened to this yesterday on Clutchfans. He did sound dissapointed, but it was because LA never offered him any type of deal because they knew they were going to sign Artest. His agent never fucked up like some of you have been saying. The organization never intended to sign him once they knew Ron was available, but they could have at least told him that. :lol As Ariza said before they didn't show him any type of respect. But it's business. :flipoff

Yeah, I had seen those Ariza threads over there too.

I've been reading Clutchfans since the whole Artest thing showed up....lots of posters there and I gotta say for the most part ... aren't totally blind homers. Much better than all the homorism at a Lakers board. There's good info at that place :toast

The Franchise
07-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I had seen those Ariza threads over there too.

I've been reading Clutchfans since the whole Artest thing showed up....lots of posters there and I gotta say for the most part ... aren't totally blind homers. Much better than all the homorism at a Lakers board. There's good info at that place :toast

I feel for Ariza, in this situation. They told him he was a top priority, then they sign Artest and act like he never even existed. That is totally fucked up.

turiaf for president
07-07-2009, 05:38 PM
at least after next year, houston can get some cap space to sign a star and have the supporting cast in place.

The Franchise
07-07-2009, 06:34 PM
at least after next year, houston can get some cap space to sign a star and have the supporting cast in place.

Dwayne Wade. :king

djohn2oo8
07-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Dwayne Wade. :king

D-Wade has said that he would leave Miami to go to a contender, the Rox would have to prove they can make the playoffs this year, which is highly unlikely. Bosh is rumored to be one of the targets for 2010. However, D-Wade and Bosh would be a sick duo

djohn2oo8
07-07-2009, 06:56 PM
However, if they decide to let tracy's 23 mil come off the books, they'll have some flexibility, enough to sign ONE star. But if Yao decides to opt out, (not gonna happen, but just sayin) that would give them about 40 million to spend. The Crusade for D-Wade 10' begins now!

cobbler
07-07-2009, 07:22 PM

His agent fucked up BIGTIME and it's been widely reported. He has a history with the Lakers by using the media and BS to negotiate. He was going along the very same path and the Lakers made the better business and basketball move. The Lakers have always insisted that Trevor was option A and Artest option B. When option A's agent is going down his normal path of drawing out the talks the Lakers couldnt risk losing him and BOTH the chance at Artest.

Go back and research Bynums contract negotiations. After weeks, Bynum and to step in and tell Lee.... no more crap... get the deal done.

How is telling Ariza to get offers and come back and talk a lack or respect when Ariza's agent is mouthing off before the free agent signing period that he is seeking 8 to 10 mil (that no team would pay)? Seems to me like it was the agent showing little respect for Kupchek and the Lakers. Like he could pull the wool over the FO's heads and get them to pay much more than market value. He got burned for his tactics and took his client out with him. For you to say otherwise is total BS.

21_Blessings
07-07-2009, 08:27 PM
The Lakers have always insisted that Trevor was option A and Artest option B.

No, they didn't. The Lakers have been after Ron Artest the last 3-4 off-seasons. If Ariza was "option A" then Buss would have had a face to face luncheon with Trevor instead of Ron.

When option A's agent is going down his normal path of drawing out the talks the Lakers couldnt risk losing him and BOTH the chance at Artest.

lol @ "drawing out the talks". The Lakers verbally came to terms with Artest within 36 hours of free agency. The Lakers signed the player they wanted. Meanwhile Lamar remains unsigned.

Go back and research Bynums contract negotiations. After weeks, Bynum and to step in and tell Lee.... no more crap... get the deal done.

And? Go research the last week and look at Lamar Odom's negotiations. Lee trying to negotiate the MAX for Bynum is something every agent in the world would have done. Was he loud and obnoxious through the media? Yup. He's an idiot in the press.

How is telling Ariza to get offers and come back and talk a lack or respect

First off all, the MLE was never officially offered on the first day to Ariza. THe Lakers told him to go find offers. The next morning Buss is having brunch with Artest and Yahoo is reporting Artest to LA is a done deal. Why wouldn't Ariza feel disrespected in that situation? Artest was clearly the Lakers choice target once they found out about his availability.

when Ariza's agent is mouthing off before the free agent signing period that he is seeking 8 to 10 mil (that no team would pay)?

Tornoto was offering more money than Houston. Lamar Odom is seeking 10 million (that no other team will pay) yet you aren't bitching about him.

Seems to me like it was the agent showing little respect for Kupchek and the Lakers. Like he could pull the wool over the FO's heads and get them to pay much more than market value.

Huh? Nothing to do wtih respect. Toronto and Portland had the cap space to overpay Ariza. In the end, Ariza would have settled for the MLE in LA just like he did for Houston. But like I said, the Lakers signed the player they wanted (Artest). The same player they have been pursuing year after year. The same player that is better than Ariza and has won DPOY.

He got burned for his tactics and took his client out with him. For you to say otherwise is total BS.

Not really. If his agent didn't say shit, Ariza would come out looking much better but he would still be wearing a Rockets uniform. It wouldn't have mattered what he did. As soon as Ron Artest was available for the MLE the Lakers put on the full court press and signed him without thinking twice. Whereas with Ariza they were hestitant to commit that much money for good reason. 1) He's a system player 2) They were burned by Vlad, Luke and Sasha all have playing up their value in contract years

With Artest, you know what you're getting. 4 time all-nba defense and a former DPOY that happens to be good friends with Kobe/ LO (which negates the crazy) and a coach that loves his skillset.

MarHill
07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
He should have called Buss. All the players have this guys cell number. I remember A-Rods agent fucking up his deal with the Yankees, and A-Rod called the owner and wound up getting more money, while his agent was trying to get him to leave town for less.

Some of these agents let their egos get in the way of their jobs. Trevor left as a champ to join a lottery team that is in full blown rebuild mode.

Lakaluva,

I usually don't agree with you..since I'm a Spurs fan.

But you were right about this whole thing with Ariza.

There was no reason to play hard ball with the Lakers. Plus Ariza wanted to stay there....his agent should have really worked for his client to get him what he wanted.

Oh well...we all live and learn!! Good luck in Houston!

cobbler
07-07-2009, 09:17 PM
No, they didn't. The Lakers have been after Ron Artest the last 3-4 off-seasons. If Ariza was "option A" then Buss would have had a face to face luncheon with Trevor instead of Ron.

A source tells HOOPSWORLD that Kupchak was prepared to give Ariza an offer equivalent to the full MLE but at 10.5% raises, totaling at approximately $33.8 million over five years.

LA's ceiling might have been a $6 million starting salary for $36 million over five but before negotiations progressed after 9:00pm Pacific on Tuesday night, the source says that Ariza's agent, David Lee, took a confrontational approach with Kupchak.

Lee wanted a deal in the $50 million range and took offense to the team's stance that Trevor should test the market first for that level of compensation.

By the next morning, the Lakers were going after Artest in full force with Kobe Bryant, Lamar Odom and even Magic Johnson reaching out to the Houston forward
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13174

lol @ "drawing out the talks". The Lakers verbally came to terms with Artest within 36 hours of free agency. The Lakers signed the player they wanted. Meanwhile Lamar remains unsigned.

It's his history, a bad one with the Lakers FO, and comments like these...

Trevor Ariza: Ready to Play Hardball

Or, at the very least, his agent is: “While Ariza has maintained that he hopes to wear purple and gold again next season, agent David Lee said Monday that the Lakers won’t receive any hometown discount from his client.
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2009/06/trevor-ariza-ready-to-play-hardball/

In particular, Ariza and his agent weren’t thrilled by the Lakers’ annual offer of $5.6 million over an unspecified number of years. Ariza, 24, was hoping for $7 million to $8 million a year.

“All we’re looking for is little appreciation for what Trevor has done,” Lee said Wednesday. “I don’t think they believe Trevor is serious about leaving, and that’s too bad. I didn’t think we’d be in this situation. I am disappointed and surprised by what I thought would be some feelings for the people who have given you everything they’ve got.”
http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/28-million-show-trevor-ariza-lakers/8099

And? Go research the last week and look at Lamar Odom's negotiations. Lee trying to negotiate the MAX for Bynum is something every agent in the world would have done. Was he loud and obnoxious through the media? Yup. He's an idiot in the press.

While the ominous standstill in contract talks would suggest that Trevor Ariza's tenure with his hometown team might be over, the Lakers can take some solace that this is not the first time agent David Lee has tried these hard-line tactics.

Lee lashed out at the Lakers through the media while negotiating Andrew Bynum's contract extension last October, hinting that anything short of a max contract was unacceptable before ultimately settling for a reasonble yet still generous four-year, $57-million extension.

http://blogs.pe.com/prosports/2009/07/some-insight-into-arizas-decis.html

First off all, the MLE was never officially offered on the first day to Ariza. THe Lakers told him to go find offers. The next morning Buss is having brunch with Artest and Yahoo is reporting Artest to LA is a done deal. Why wouldn't Ariza feel disrespected in that situation? Artest was clearly the Lakers choice target once they found out about his availability.

Proof? And why wouldn't the Lakers look at all possible free agents? Especially one who is a better player and eager to play for the MLE rather than posturing and playing hardball with the 8 to 10 mil range? You obviously dont know much about business.

Tornoto was offering more money than Houston. Lamar Odom is seeking 10 million (that no other team will pay) yet you aren't bitching about him.

I was addressing Ariza that's why. And you dont hear Lamars agent in the press talking respect and how his client will walk. You have to give respect to receive it. If you are going to take a stance.... you better have your ducks in a row.

Huh? Nothing to do wtih respect. Toronto and Portland had the cap space to overpay Ariza. In the end, Ariza would have settled for the MLE in LA just like he did for Houston. But like I said, the Lakers signed the player they wanted (Artest). The same player they have been pursuing year after year. The same player that is better than Ariza and has won DPOY.

Oh, so let me get this straight. The Lakers are supposed to tell Artest they arent interested because they are going to wait for Ariza to settle. Did you see how fast the free agents were being picked up? I suppos the Lakers should have waited and "hoped" Lee came to his senses. Had they and both were taken up by other teams then the Lakers would be tho ones wearing egg all over their face instead of Lee and Ariza.

Not really. If his agent didn't say shit, Ariza would come out looking much better but he would still be wearing a Rockets uniform. It wouldn't have mattered what he did. As soon as Ron Artest was available for the MLE the Lakers put on the full court press and signed him without thinking twice. Whereas with Ariza they were hestitant to commit that much money for good reason. 1) He's a system player 2) They were burned by Vlad, Luke and Sasha all have playing up their value in contract years.

He wanted more than the MLE... it's been reported. Get over it. Maybe he would have settled for the MLE, maybe he wouldn't have. Only he and his agent really know. The fact is, they played hardball... and lost. Had lee come to the table without the prior media stance and a history with the Lakers FO... Ariza woiuld be a Laker today.

With Artest, you know what you're getting. 4 time all-nba defense and a former DPOY that happens to be good friends with Kobe/ LO (which negates the crazy) and a coach that loves his skillset.

No arguments there.

Lee played hardball and bluffed. He got called on the bluff and Ariza got burned for it. It's business. All this talk about respect is bullshit.

The Franchise
07-07-2009, 11:47 PM
I'm not quoting "sources" like hoopsworld, Ariza said it himself. He and his agent were told to check his market value and they would go forward from there. Two days later Artest was saying he was a Laker. Explain to me how things would transpire so quickly if the organization didn't already know what they intended to do? I'll bet those "sources" came from within the Laker organization.

Lars
07-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Too bad so sad, we got Ariza for five years.

adidas11
07-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Artest might actually be a better fit for the Lakers, considering opposition in the Western Conference. Artest is far better suited to defend against small forwards like Carmelo Anthony, and even smaller power forwards (like Carlos Boozer), than Ariza is.

TJastal
07-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Artest might actually be a better fit for the Lakers, considering opposition in the Western Conference. Artest is far better suited to defend against small forwards like Carmelo Anthony, and even smaller power forwards (like Carlos Boozer), than Ariza is.

I think the lakers are going to miss Ariza's lateral quickness / youthful energy / steals more than Artest's man to man D.

Not to mention, Ariza fit the team like glove, personality wise and also his skillset. Artest is a hot-head with an ego that is just primed for erupting after a year of dormancy.

Bad move for LA, to break up a championship squad. As the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

ElNono
07-08-2009, 08:05 AM
He did his job, which is to try to maximize Ariza's contract offer. What didn't work for him is that the Lakers already knew how he operated since the Bynum negotiations and they've been working on Artest probably since the Houston series ended.

Culburn369
07-08-2009, 09:19 AM
I think the lakers are going to miss Ariza's lateral quickness

That Brooks fellow can now give him a refresher course in practice.

Holmes_Fans
07-08-2009, 09:26 AM
The contract isn't signed.

If he wants to stay in LA, call up management, tell them you will sign for less money then Artest.

Problem Solved.