PDA

View Full Version : Which summer league participants make the roster?

Parker2112
07-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Obviously Hill, Ian and Blair. But what about McClinton, Gist, and my main man Hairston? What are the odds?

Keep in mind I'm sweatin' Malik's roster spot,:depressed
Give me some hope Spurstalk experts!

Roster (?):
George Hill
Ian Mahinmi
DeJuan Blair
Jack McClinton
James Gist
Eric Dawson
Nando De Colo (who knows if he'll show)
Marcus Vinicus
Malik Hairston
Squeaky Johnson
Donnell Taylor
Antonio Anderson
Romel Beck
Alonzo Gee

:flag:

Biggems
07-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Obviously Hill, Ian and Blair. But what about McClinton, Gist, and my main man Hairston? What are the odds?

Roster (?):
George Hill
Ian Mahinmi
DeJuan Blair
Jack McClinton
James Gist
Eric Dawson
Marcus Vinicus
Malik Hairston
Squeaky Johnson
Donnell Taylor
Antonio Anderson
Romel Beck
Alonzo Gee

I hope the ones in bold make the team. Other than de Colo, I have not heard of any of the other ones.

Biggems
07-07-2009, 08:32 PM
BTW, this would give us the following roster sans signing a FA big or even Bruce Bowen if he is cut.

C - Mahimni, Bonner, Haislip
PF - Duncan, Blair, Gist
SF - Jefferson, Finley
SG - Mason, Manu, Hairston
PG - Parker, Hill, McClinton

montgod
07-07-2009, 08:33 PM

Roster (?):
George Hill
Ian Mahinmi
DeJuan Blair
Jack McClinton
James Gist
Eric Dawson
Marcus Vinicus
Malik Hairston
Squeaky Johnson
Donnell Taylor
Antonio Anderson
Romel Beck
Alonzo Gee

I think everyone in bold will make the roster. Although, Gist and McClinton will probably be playing for the Toros unless they show something in summer league play.

De Colo won't be coming over this year. Probably two years out on him.

Parker2112
07-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Wouldn't Malik make for a cheap third string back up at SF as well as insurance if Manu goes down?

picnroll
07-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Gist will almost have to be a Spurs rotation player to make the team. They're not going to pay his salary x 2 so he can marinate in the D league.

montgod
07-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Gist will almost have to be a Spurs rotation player to make the team. They're not going to pay his salary x 2 so he can marinate in the D league.

Good point. I don't know what the Spurs will do. It will be an interesting summer league and McClinton, Gist, Hairston better bring it because they are on the hot seat as to where they will play. It's too bad Williams is hurt and won't be playing because he needed to be out there.

ulosturedge
07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Good point. I don't know what the Spurs will do. It will be an interesting summer league and McClinton, Gist, Hairston better bring it because they are on the hot seat as to where they will play. It's too bad Williams is hurt and won't be playing because he needed to be out there.

Oh what happened to Williams? Because I was wondering why the OP didn't add his name to the SL roster.

lurker23
07-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Oh what happened to Williams? Because I was wondering why the OP didn't add his name to the SL roster.

Williams nursing wrist injury
By
Jeff McDonald
on Jul 1, 09 10:09 PM

There seemed to be a peculiar omission when the Spurs released their summer league roster earlier today.

No Marcus Williams.

Turns out, there is a good reason for Williams' absence. He is injured.

Williams, who finished the season with the Spurs and is expected to join them in training camp this fall, suffered a minor injury to his left wrist during offseason workouts. He should be fine by October.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/07/williams-nursin.html

Ace9
07-07-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm positive Ian, GH, and DeJ make the roster. Well pretty positive. I really want Jack to make it but if he doesn't, obviously we have better on the roster. I also think Hairston has a really good chance to make it. I doubt Gist and all the others make it.

Kindergarten Cop
07-07-2009, 09:00 PM
I think everyone in bold will make the roster. Although, Gist and McClinton will probably be playing for the Toros unless they show something in summer league play.

De Colo won't be coming over this year. Probably two years out on him.

I'm guessing you mistakenly left George Hill off of your list to make the team, because there's no question he'll be on our roster.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Mahinmi, Hill and Blair are definites.

I think McClinton, Gist, Hairston and Williams are fighting it out for 2 spots.

Parker2112
07-07-2009, 09:29 PM

That puts it in perspective. I wonder how a potential 2 or 3 for 1 (bonner, finley, mason) might raise that number...

rayray2k8
07-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Are the summer league games gonna be televised?

Sigz
07-07-2009, 09:36 PM
James White

hater
07-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Gist bitches!

scottspurs
07-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Ian, Blair, Hill=for sure
Hairston, McClinton, Gist=maybe
everyone else=long shot

poeticism707
07-07-2009, 09:48 PM
It would be a great if Romel Beck makes the team, and plays the back up SF behind Jefferson.

Another poster on ST was right: Beck seems like he could easily have the same success as Kevin Martin for the Kings.

coyotes_geek
07-07-2009, 09:57 PM
That puts it in perspective. I wonder how a potential 2 or 3 for 1 (bonner, finley, mason) might raise that number...

I'm not sure it would. While I do think they'll look to move Bonner and/or Finley, I'd think the Spurs would look to replace them with vets on vet min contracts. Five youngins' is enough projects to keep the coaching staff busy.

Pucho!!!
07-07-2009, 10:15 PM
It would be a great if Romel Beck makes the team, and plays the back up SF behind Jefferson.

Another poster on ST was right: Beck seems like he could easily have the same success as Kevin Martin for the Kings.

A mexican on the Spurs never thought I'd c the day :wow

poeticism707
07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
A mexican on the Spurs never thought I'd c the day :wow

Viva la Mexica!!!

:king

barbacoataco
07-07-2009, 10:45 PM
I think the Spurs drafting of Blair hurts players like Gist and Hairston chances of getting on the team. The Spurs are not going to go with a bunch of rookies. They might give one, or maybe two, a chance. But they aren't going to bring in 4-5 rookies all at the same time, which is what some of you want.

SouthTexasRancher
07-07-2009, 10:47 PM

Sounds just about right to me.

Ditty
07-07-2009, 11:32 PM
blair
hill
mihinmi will make it for sure

hairston should make it he looks NBA ready

williams i dunno i think he just a good offense player thats all

maybe in 2010
mcclinton will spend alot of time in austin
gist will also unless he proves to be some aweseome player

Solid D
07-08-2009, 12:21 AM
George Hill
Ian Mahinmi
DeJuan Blair
Jack McClinton
James Gist
Malik Hairston

bdictjames
07-08-2009, 12:39 AM
What happened to Tolliver?

spursfaninla
07-08-2009, 12:46 AM
I think the following is likely.

Ian will be the backup C, Blair the backup pf, 4th and 3rd "bigs." If either of them screws up, it is bonner time.

Hopefully hill splits time at the 1 and 2. As it is, mason and manu are splitting all of the 2 time, so Hill's main chance at significant minutes is at the 1.

Finally, one of the other rookies will fight for the backup minutes behind the 3...
I think it is likely in the following order:
James Gist
Malik Hairston
Jack McClinton

What I am not sure about, however, is if this is too much youth. Sure, Hill got time last year so he is not a rookie. But this includes Mahimi, Gist, and Blair as regular rotation players...and I just don't see Pop trusting rookies in the playoffs to have significant minutes unless they are exceptional.

Maybe he uses them to keep our guys fresh, and then shortens the rotation to parker/hill, mason/manu, rj/manu, duncan/bonner, dice/bonner? That would be sad but I could totally see that 8 man rotation.

Blackjack
07-08-2009, 12:52 AM
George Hill
Ian Mahinmi
DeJuan Blair
Jack McClinton
James Gist
Malik Hairston

I'd love to see it, but I have my doubts for Gist with Haislip on board..

I'm thinkin' they should go ahead and give Hairston the opportunity to be that defensive-wing behind R.J. and if it doesn't work out, look to bring back Bowen back mid-season or acquire someone capable.

I'm hoping Jack lights up the SL and Ian's healthy and confident in his body to actually see where he's at, and if there's a future for him on this team.

The guy gets bagged on a lot, but he's younger than McClinton, has all the tools, and it's not like this guy has had the injury obstacles of a guy like McDyess; someone who's seemed to put worse in the past.

Hill's a stud and I've seen no reason to think Blair won't be one either, assuming the knees aren't a problem. (and I don't believe they will)

Hill
McClinton
Hairston
Blair
Mahinmi

That would be my guess as to who makes it.

biziofromdowntown
07-08-2009, 01:06 AM
My friend is good friends with Gist and he said that Gist thinks he will definitely be on the team this year. Playing the 3 mostly.

Same here.:flag:

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 01:26 AM
What happened to Tolliver?

I don't know, but he'd be very hard pressed to make the team even if he was here.

50 cent
07-08-2009, 01:33 AM
Make this into a Poll.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Squeaky better be in, that's all I can say.

bishopospurs
07-08-2009, 02:01 AM
too early to guess, the rest of this week will clear some mucky waters

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 02:03 AM
too early to guess, the rest of this week will clear some mucky waters

Spurs may want to sign Anthony Johnson to the back up point guard spot, so that Mason never, EVER, has to do that again!

The problem is, if the Spurs get Dice, they're broke.

Maybe Johnson will volunteer his time.

mountainballer
07-08-2009, 02:55 AM
Spurs may want to sign Anthony Johnson to the back up point guard spot, so that Mason never, EVER, has to do that again!

? AJ is under contract with the Magic for 09-10. (didn't opt out)

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 02:56 AM
? AJ is under contract with the Magic for 09-10. (didn't opt out)

Thanks for the update friend!

mountainballer
07-08-2009, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the update friend!
no problem:toast

EmantheSpursFan
07-08-2009, 03:02 AM
also talked to james today and he said he was going to be on the spurs team next year

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 03:03 AM
also talked to james today and he said he was going to be on the spurs team next year

I truly hope Gist is up to the challenge.

50 cent
07-08-2009, 03:11 AM
I think Manhinmi sucks.

Hill
Blair
McClinton
Hairston

ChumpDumper
07-08-2009, 03:29 AM
What happened to Tolliver?New Orleans.

mountainballer
07-08-2009, 04:37 AM
I think there will be a long road from SL to training camp for many of the young player.
there will very likely happen some more moves from the FO after the SL that will change a lot.
the signing of Haislip definitely has reduced the chances for Gist, no matter what position he can cover. if he can't be a full time 3, his chances are almost non existing. if he somehow makes the transition, he still isn't a safe bet. (without Haislip the athleticism from Gist would have been his best asset and also the option to find minutes at both forward spots)
don't forget, he already is in Europe and has earned some reputation there. it's easier to find a good fit for him there (for decent money), than it would be for McClinton, Hairston (who's right Spurs don't own anyhow) or Williams. if the Spurs wanted to keep either Hairston and Gist, but don't have enough spots, it is smarter to chose Hairston this time. (ok, I was wrong about this last season either).
and finally: Gist's rights might have some value as a teaser in a trade, especially if he plays a good SL. some rebuilding teams might be interested in a cheap future option. (Clippers, Sixers and Pacers would have room for another athletic combo forward. also the Grizzlies, if they don't keep Warrick)
if McClinton impresses in the SL (and is as good a defender as Pop announced) and maybe even shows some playmaking ability, he should be a lock, considering what type of player Pop obviously was seeking in the last season. (Stoudemire, Pargo) this might even make Hill expendable, who also has some trade value).
I think McClinton might become the biggest story of the SL. (from a Spurs perspective)
it's always pointed out that he isn't a playmaker. but he is a pretty good ball handler and passing and decision making is something a player can learn to some degree. he is really tough and seems to stay cool in moments when Hill struggled. I'm sure he will put a lot of pressure on Hill.
and then there is Ian. right now he is in a position without many options. he can't be sent to D league next season, so if he doesn't at least play decent in this summer, I see him go the Beno route. Spurs will pay some or even all of his salary to get him out of town for a TE. (there are plenty of such TEs out there that would fit). that's still 1 million $ less expensive than have him rot on the bench without the option to play him in Austin. it would also clear a roster spot.
I have never been high on Ian (I'm not happy if I was right) and I truly think this is the most likely scenario. (again, I won't complain if it isn't).
btw. what if Rasho is willing to sign for the veteran minimum? do we rather have Rasho on the roster or Ian? (for more or less the same price). or Mihm, or Magloire, just to drop some names. if the Spurs are confident that Tiago will come in next summer, there is even less reason to keep him.

so I think from this SL roster Blair is a lock, McClinton has a very good chance and then it will be between Hairston and Williams (likely not decided before end of pre season). Gist will go back to Europe and Ian will be gone.

poeticism707
07-08-2009, 06:09 AM
I think there will be a long road from SL to training camp for many of the young player.
there will very likely happen some more moves from the FO after the SL that will change a lot.
the signing of Haislip definitely has reduced the chances for Gist, no matter what position he can cover. if he can't be a full time 3, his chances are almost non existing. if he somehow makes the transition, he still isn't a safe bet. (without Haislip the athleticism from Gist would have been his best asset and also the option to find minutes at both forward spots)
don't forget, he already is in Europe and has earned some reputation there. it's easier to find a good fit for him there (for decent money), than it would be for McClinton, Hairston (who's right Spurs don't own anyhow) or Williams. if the Spurs wanted to keep either Hairston and Gist, but don't have enough spots, it is smarter to chose Hairston this time. (ok, I was wrong about this last season either).
and finally: Gist's rights might have some value as a teaser in a trade, especially if he plays a good SL. some rebuilding teams might be interested in a cheap future option. (Clippers, Sixers and Pacers would have room for another athletic combo forward. also the Grizzlies, if they don't keep Warrick)
if McClinton impresses in the SL (and is as good a defender as Pop announced) and maybe even shows some playmaking ability, he should be a lock, considering what type of player Pop obviously was seeking in the last season. (Stoudemire, Pargo) this might even make Hill expendable, who also has some trade value).
I think McClinton might become the biggest story of the SL. (from a Spurs perspective)
it's always pointed out that he isn't a playmaker. but he is a pretty good ball handler and passing and decision making is something a player can learn to some degree. he is really tough and seems to stay cool in moments when Hill struggled. I'm sure he will put a lot of pressure on Hill.
and then there is Ian. right now he is in a position without many options. he can't be sent to D league next season, so if he doesn't at least play decent in this summer, I see him go the Beno route. Spurs will pay some or even all of his salary to get him out of town for a TE. (there are plenty of such TEs out there that would fit). that's still 1 million $ less expensive than have him rot on the bench without the option to play him in Austin. it would also clear a roster spot.
I have never been high on Ian (I'm not happy if I was right) and I truly think this is the most likely scenario. (again, I won't complain if it isn't).
btw. what if Rasho is willing to sign for the veteran minimum? do we rather have Rasho on the roster or Ian? (for more or less the same price). or Mihm, or Magloire, just to drop some names. if the Spurs are confident that Tiago will come in next summer, there is even less reason to keep him.

so I think from this SL roster Blair is a lock, McClinton has a very good chance and then it will be between Hairston and Williams (likely not decided before end of pre season). Gist will go back to Europe and Ian will be gone.

Great post! Very thorough, knowledgeable, and reasonable!:tu

You're probably most correct, unless there are some unforseen surprises in the SL.

Spurs_9_20_21
07-08-2009, 10:00 AM
I hope the ones in bold make the team. Other than de Colo, I have not heard of any of the other ones.
yeah i hope the bold ones make the team too! im counting on it!

Texas_Ranger
07-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Hill, Mahinmi, Blair, Gist, McClinton

Obstructed_View
07-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Making any kind of a determination before SL is just not sensible. This is shaping up to be the most competetive offseason the Spurs have had, maybe ever. There are likely to be guys that don't make the team that end up being NBA contributors. That makes the decisions really tough. The only advantages certain players might have at this point are due to their position, or ability to play more than one. Hopefully Pop doesn't just pick the guys that shoot the most three pointers like he did last year.